[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you run an animorphs game? Have you run one before?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 250x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 250x365
How would you run an animorphs game? Have you run one before? how did it go?
>>
>>44853258
no fucking idea but that sounds dope
>>
You are a horny teenager who wants nudes from the hot girl in class so you take her DNA and then make a bunch of tapes.

Congrats.

Would anyone NOT do that?
>>
>>44853258
Start out lighthearted and make things fucking dark by the end. Ramp that shit up. Make them engage in stealth and little kid adventures at first, but before long they're involved in bloody war and cutthroat alien politics with monsters that used to be their families.
>>
>>44853316
Not everyone is transgender.
>>
>>44853258
I'd introduce a super powerful gmpc and lead the party around by the nose with him.
>>
>>44853285
Yea I think it has potential to be really cool if done right. I think it'd be important to make sure the story is different from the cannon one
>>
What system would you use to run a game ? Would making one be hard ?
>>
>>44853334
Easy enough to make it an AU. The main cast doesn't exist, your party gets Animorphs powers. Let's see how YOU handle that shit.

Supplements for playing alien races and different perspectives coming soon.
>>
>>44853357
That'd be real neat, I'd wanna play some rad af alien race.
>>
>>44853326
?? Just take pics and stuff of yourself in the chick's morph.

Easy. Not trans at all. Then morph back and just hide the stash or something.

I would actually use the morphing power for perving desu. Only safe way of abusing the power.
>>
>>44853357
Doesn't even have to be teenagers, or anything. Just random people.

I wonder what would happen if you gave a chimp morphing powers, or a crow, or an octopus.
>>
>>44853316
>>44853373
The DNA theft thing is noticeable to the animal. SO, anyone that suddenly finds newds leaked will probably link it to that one time that guy touching them made them feel weird.
>>
Why make the players animorphs? Why not be FBI and hunt down the aliens and any morphers?
>>
>>44853462
I like it. Take it a step further, combine Delta Green and Animorphs.
>>
>>44853316
>>44853373
>Be a fat nerd with no girlfriend
>Get morphing powers
>Take some DNA somehow from the hottest girl in class
>This is gonna be so good
>But DNA isn't responsible for your diet, exercise, or grooming habits
>Morph into the fat and ugly version of the hottest girl in class
>>
>>44853445
I'd assume people who momentarily felt a bit odd wouldn't assume that person now has the ability to literally turn into them much in the same way that someone acting strange isn't going to be suspected of having space slugs controlling their body.
>>
>>44853533
I'd figured I was drugged/coerced and forgot the whole thing.
>>
What would be your battle morphs? And what would your main travel ones be ?
>>
>>44853373
>Playing with your body as a woman
>something straight people seriously would do unless they had some interest in being a woman.
>>
>>44853462
The government is infested with yeerks. Basically you're playing the badguy, numbnuts.
>>
It would have been cool if they could have kept their Dino morphs.
>>
>>44853403
Whatever got the morphing power would have to be intelligent enough for thoughtspeak.

Even if a monkey randomly got the power to morph, they wouldn't be able to use it. They have to be told how to acquire creatures, and monkey aren't smart enough to make the necessary mental state to morph.
>>
File: 1366321595170.jpg (99 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
1366321595170.jpg
99 KB, 500x502
>>44854022
Marco had it right. Gorillas are super strong and have hands so they can climb and use tools.
>>
File: 1451597214515.jpg (115 KB, 1024x1101) Image search: [Google]
1451597214515.jpg
115 KB, 1024x1101
>>44853334
You could keep to cannon. There's a bit later on where the main cast has a morphing cube recovered from the invaders or something, and uses it to turn a bunch of disabled kids into throw-away soldiers to boost their numbers. Your party could pick flaws for their human side, blindness, deafness, limb disorders, weak hearts, etc., then suddenly these seemingly magical people show up, let you turn into animals, maybe even aliens for a short while and you can Live without that flaw for a while?

Oh wait, they want us to do what now?

Start out with testing things out, seeing what they can get away with, but then slowly give them the info about the war going on silently around them. About how that kind nurse who's been acting strangely lately might have a slug wrapped around her brain. About how they did this so that they could have a slightly better chance in their insurgency against a much more technologically advanced alien culture that has a BIG foothold in their home town.

Gradually work your way to the last scene that those characters had; being gunned down after the aliens feel they have the means and force to reveal themselves and enslave humanity by conquest. Your party needs to save/dodge/hide/feign death, but they'll have the chance to turn the tide of the battle once the ship has moved on; no one expects there to be any more "andelite bandits" than the ones they're already dealing with in space.

After the war is over, if the story in-game doesn't diverge from cannon, there'll be other yerk bases to hunt down, the after-years for a time-skip of their training and developments as adults before, (probably also cannon) the Yerks return, possibly having finally taken the Andelite Homeworld and returning for more.
>>
File: 1450155548220.jpg (95 KB, 461x700) Image search: [Google]
1450155548220.jpg
95 KB, 461x700
>>44854022
>battle
Hork'Bajir if possible. Big, blades all over, agile, armored to a certain degree, can infiltrate enemy forces in some situations, etc. Aquatic battles'd be nifty as some kind of huge cephalopod, but I dunno how possible it'd be to go Get that morph.

Time traveling to get dinosaur forms would be awesome though.

Condor for traveling, doubles as combat if needs be, though geese for long distance.
>>
>>44854605
Yeerk has two e's. Sorry for being autistic about that it was just getting to me.
>>
>>44854605
The Yeerks needed humans to be able have any chance against Andalites. They aren't doing that after the war.
>>
File: tumblr_nuwdzgQpLa1rra7kvo2_540.png (396 KB, 536x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuwdzgQpLa1rra7kvo2_540.png
396 KB, 536x810
>>44853462
>>44853475
>>44854163
>The Government
Is somewhat infested, but that was more of a local problem than a national/global one at the story's start and mainstay. It'd get worse and worse as you went along, but there'd be a good start for an investigative group looking into a possible cult of personality forming around a few specific Controllers who were set to work their way up the ranks of human society and institutions.
>>
>>44854651
Sorry.

>>44854665
There was at least one future-set book in which Jake had to work his way around a Yeerk conquered Earth, and showed Andalites among the controlled. The very last novel of the series ended with the survivors of the main cast ramming a modified, upgraded Blade Ship which was being commanded by some warped entity that the Yeerks had met up with.

Even the Elemist's long-term game plan seemed to involve the Yeerks Winning, taking over Human, Andelite and so forth and making their way across the Galaxy before finding a very similar species that had resolved its issues through Symbiosis instead of Parasitism and would guide the Yeerks forward in a new path.
>>
>>44854250
>Its very good. Simplified a bit, because its made for kids, but you can tell the author is writing for children because she wants to, not because her writing isn't good enough for adult fiction. It has excellent character development, and an engaging story. I'm really enjoying it, even more so than when I was a kid.
>she
>tfw Applegate wrote the large minority of books
>>
>>44854929
Childrens books are good because when you sit down to simplify a hard issue, you don't know if the children will understand the common simplified version.
So actual work has to be put into simplifying it.

The simplification also means that issues could be written out.
The downside is that childrens books are purchased by adults, so there is real crap in there because its bought for somebody else.
>>
>>44853483
Actually, your diet, Exercise, or grooming habits don't affect the morph. It's exclusively DNA.

Tobias morphed a bird with a broken wing and the bird morph was fine. If you could somehow acquire yourself, you would be able to morph into a fitter version of yourself.
>>
>>44854022
I'm thinking Rhino and Cheetah.

As for travel, I'd definitely grab a wolf, a horse, and a bird with a good top speed.
>>
Why didn't the Children acquire Andalith morhps in book 1?
>>
>>44855709
They didn't figure out how to acquire until Tobias showed them the day after Elfangor's death.

Elfangor basically bundled up a package of relevant info and shoved it into Tobias, so he was the one who got the group off the ground information-wise.
>>
>>44855709
Man that would have been cool. Do they aquire Ax?
>>
>>44855747
It's impolite, verging on being considered taboo or outright immoral, to acquire morphs of other sapients. It's why Ax's human morph is a blend of all of the gang. They let him take a bit, he lego'd them together to get his human guise. Elfangor did that too when he became Alan Fangor.
>>
>>44855791
> It's why Ax's human morph is a blend of all of the gang. They let him take a bit, he lego'd them together to get his human guise. Elfangor did that too when he became Alan Fangor.
>your teammate's form is the genetic child of all team members
Sometimes you shouldn't consider such things in depth.
>>
>>44855910
>>44855791

was it possibly a chimera of all of them rather than a splicing?
>>
>>44853350
G U R P S
U
R
P
S
>>
>>44854500
>They have to be told how to acquire creatures, and monkey aren't smart enough

No, both an ant and a buffalo accidentally gained the ability in the books. Both ended up acquiring humans, it did not end well.
>>
>>44853316
I think after so many nights of crying yourself to a 2 hour sleep following a secret guerrilla war against body snatchers and watching yourself and your friends get dismembered, you eventually just lose your libido.
>>
>>44853462

For all their general stupidity (not to mention Visser 3's Saturday Villain Cartoon antics), the yeerks pull off a frighteningly well-planned invasion, so far as YA literature goes. They are subtle, methodical yet flexible, and know how to mark their targets. We know for a fact that the yeerks have had some of the top brass infected pretty early on in the game, and when they realized the Animorphs are upping the pressure (forcing them to kick into high gear faster than they'd assumed they would have to), they are still able to take over large amounts of military personnel pretty quickly.

Odds are good that by the time the FBI knows about yeerks, it's because they're all infested by them.
>>
>>44856065
Please elaborate, this sounds interesting
>>
>>44853334
>>44853357
The least "canonically disturbing" version is to play Auxiliary Animorphs in the period between their "getting founded" and being fed into the meat grinder in the final battle. It's implied that they've engaged in several operations that aren't described in detail in the books - these could be a rich bed for adventures that may very well be canonical. It also gives a nice framework to the campaign, and just the right atmosphere of doom and despair that fits an Applegate story (kind of like with those videogames based on a film, where you know the character you're playing is going to die before it even starts, but you still want to know how they went about it).

That is, of course, assuming that your players are the types who'd derive some kind of enjoyment from playing a gang of crippled children trying to make the best of their time before their inevitable demise. Roleplaying wise, this is some sadistic shit, since the characters are probably the happiest and most hopeful they've ever been in their lives, but the PLAYERS know it's a countdown until the final mission, where they're all getting microwaved as a distraction. But inbetween, who knows how much fun they can have?
>>
I thought I was the only one who still loved these books.
I have been proven wrong.
I love ya, /tg/.
>>
>>44856401
/tg/ loves animorphs, senpai
>>
>>44856401
We have an Animorphs thread around once a month.

Honestly at this point we should probably homebrew a system for it.
>>
>>44856366
Of course, you can also diverge from the canon. Say a bunch of them survived the battle. Say a few went rogue before it (remember that many of the Auxiliaries didn't want to participate, causing Jake to get Alex to berate them because DAMMIT WE GAVE YOU SUPERPOWERS SO YOU CAN DIE FOR THE CAUSE, NOT ENJOY THE CHILDHOOD YOU'VE BEEN DENIED). Knowing the Animorphs series and its deconstruction of stories about both childhood heroics and child soldiers, this itself might form the basis for an entire campaign, as the characters deal with the consequences of their going AWOL: hunted down by the military (or, far scarier, by an angry Jake), tried for their crimes, their actions brought into the public light and casting them as cowards and traitors before the whole of humanity...

To twist the knife even further, maybe say that because of their refusal to participate in the battle, some other main character died ("All for the want of a nail", etc.), other than Rachel. Make them suffer the consequences for THAT (worst case scenario: Tobias dies, Rachel lives. Survive THAT vengeance).

Or you can just replace the Animorphs with a bunch of other kids, although you would have to do some deep thinking about who exactly they are since, with one exception, the members of the Animorphs have all been picked for the job by Ellimist for pretty specific reasons. I don't imagine there's another boy out there who's the son of the host of a Visser, or half-andalite.
>>
>>44856405
>>44856410
Really?
I should come here more often.
>>
>>44856416
So why were the others picked, and yet not Rachel? Tobias and Ax I get, but Rachel was just as valuable and brought as much to the team as the others.
>>
File: Ursus Arctos.jpg (47 KB, 380x540) Image search: [Google]
Ursus Arctos.jpg
47 KB, 380x540
>>44856416
>Tobias dies, Rachel lives
>Survive THAT vengeance
>Rachel

Hell hath no fury like a woman sKHORNEd
>>
>>44856438
Jake: Brother of Tom, host of a high ranking yeerk
Marco: Son of the host of Visser 1
Cassie: Immune to the effects of time-travel, which Ellimist has predicted would come-in useful
Tobias: Son of Elfangor
Ax: Brother of Elfangor
Rachel: If you take the Ellimist's word for it, was just there by chance. A common fan theory is that he was lying and chose her deliberately because he knew what a bloodthirster she could be. None of the other to-be Animorphs had the potential to achieve such brutality, and someone had to.
>>
>>44856330
The best part about Animorph is that there was at the least attempts to retroactively fix the broken hinges of the plot.

Why low key invasion?
-Because Andaliths glass planets in active war zones

Why children?
-Because Andaliths don't run a industrial society. Deep down they are losing the war badly
>>
>>44856519
>Deep down they are losing the war badly
Highly ambiguous, and one of the brilliant points of the plot at large. Throughout the vast majority of the series, we are essentially seeing things through the eyes of the andalites, whom we perceive to be the absolute good guys to the yeerks evil parasitic monsters.

Then, you begin reading more and more deeply into it, and moral grey areas begin to pop up. The andalites, those "absolute good guys", are socially primitive to extreme, practically a warlord-ran feudal system, who engage in some highly morally questionable practices (such as the euthanasia of the physically disabled, or casual use of WMDs). Even worse, it becomes quickly very evident that the andalites are FLAGRANTLY lying to outsiders about their nature as a society. They talk big about honor and nobility but in practice, they got cloaked assassins ready to take out targets with sniper rifles. Perhaps the scariest part, if you read into the subtext, is that naive children like Ax are so certain of their civilization's pacifism despite all evidence to the contrary. Some fans, in fact, have deduced that andalite society at large engages in constant historical revisionism on a RACEWIDE scale. It's the only way to explain how a culture which has all the hallmarks of what could only evolve from a brutal warrior society can produce members who not only think it is honorable, but PACIFISTIC. They claim that it's just the war against the yeerks that made them like this but the war (which we're first led to believe has lasted for centuries) barely lasted for 50 years, yet andalite society possesses a warrior mentality that can't not be older than that.

Personally, I think it's not entirely unlikely that the reason the andalite homework might be as sparsely populated as it is at the moment as that at some point in the not so distant past, the andalites warred so badly among themselves they KILLED EVERYONE, THEN ERASED THEM FROM THE HISTORY BOOKS.

(cont.)
>>
>>44856592
Conversely, the yeerks, whom we're first led to believe are monsters to the last, are revealed to be several things besides that. For once, they're revealed to be pitiful. This is a sentient species who, in their natural form, are practically immobile and insensate. "Taking over" other beings (it is revealed that, in fact, they do not have to "take over" at all: they could exist as symbiotes, and it is likely that in their distant past, have) is their only way to get stuff like legs, hands, mouths and eyes. They're not even naturally evolved: they were originally created as, basically, a prank by a sadistic god. Their existence was DESIGNED to be hellish and force them to do things that other beings would find reprehensible in order to deal with it. Crayak was all but counting on some "noble" species considering the yeerks to be monsters and going to war with them.

Then there's the background to the war itself, which the andalites see no need to inform their naive human allies of. The yeerks didn't just show up one day as a terrible galactic threat. Before the andalites made first contact, they were a peaceful, stone age culture (using Gedd hosts, whom they shared a symbiotic relationship with: the Gedd's body, for the yeerk's intelligence). Then, the andalites uplifted them, providing them with technology and knowledge, and regaling them with stories about the galaxy... until some yeerks began asking whether THEY could go see the galaxy.

Then the andalites went "Urrr, yeah, right, about that... Uhh... no. We don't think so. No way. Fucking unterandaliten disgusting slugs."

The andalites blockaded the yeerk homeworld to be on the safe side and when some yeerks finally managed to use a stolen andalite ship to escape, the andalites went apeshit and began a campaign of glassing planets and releasing bioweapons on potential host species.

(cont.)
>>
>>44856641
Then there's the war situation. andalites try to paint the situation as a bug war of sorts, where they, the noble few, stand against an infinite tide of yeerk monsters, but once again, they're only giving the half of the truth that serves them right. Yes, yeerks reproduce very fast - BUT THEIR HOST SPECIES DON'T. And the hosts reproduce even more slowly when the andalites are killing them from orbit or genophaging their asses before the salarians made it cool. In fact, if you look at all of the available information and pick the hints from the dialogue and setting construction, you'll actually find out something incredible: THE YEERKS ARE FIGHTING A GUERRILLA WAR. They're fighting it real good, but it's still a guerrilla war. Or rather, the yeerks are ISIS whereas the andalites are the United States Armed Forces. One on one, there is no class of ship or weapon whose andalite version isn't laughably superior (also, the yeerk versions are all essentially stolen and retrofitted andalite tech), and even with their relatively poor industrial capability the andalites are still beating the yeerks when it comes to numbers, at least when it comes to major strategic assets. It is true that the yeerks can build faster - that's why they have more bug fighters, but they simply do not have the facilities necessary to build large numbers of capital ships. At the moment, even with the damage caused by the war, the andalites still have more DomeShips than the andalites have the equivalent (Bladeships), and the two are hilariously unmatched (Applegate has mentioned at one point that a bladeship is about the size of a large commercial jet liner. That's smaller than some human battleships. Meanwhile, DomeShips carry planet-killing main guns and shields that WITHSTAND SEVERAL SHOTS FROM THAT).

(cont.)
>>
>>44856747
Which, by the way, brings us back to the issue of andalite historical revisionism and propaganda. The details are simply not consistent.

The entire war lasted less than 50 years. With their industrial capacity, and knowing the size of their "Empire" (a few dozen worlds, only a scant few of them containing major colonies), it is simply INCONCEIVABLE that the andalites could've built many capital ships throughout it, especially if we're supposed to believe that their pacifism means they've had to completely design and make up and invent and test new classes before building them.

In other words, the andalites had a sizeable fleet of planet killing warships just... Waiting, BY COINCIDENCE, AHEM, AHEM, by the time the yeerk war started. Peculiar, for a race of pacifists.

To summarize: the andalites know that they're dealing with kids and they know that kids are impressionable (quite possibly, because they've made an artform out of officially lying to them back home). They deliberately presented themselves to the Animorphs as the heroic defenders of the universe in a cheesy, galactic war Good Vs. Evil scenario whereas in fact, they are AT BEST a party threatened by their own careless actions attempting to help another civilization in a fight that is both far smaller in scale and in time than they claim it to be. At worst, they are the aggressors in a war of genocide against a race they've annoyed into becoming a sort of threat, as well as a race of arrogant, militaristic, imperialistic barbarians. The war revolves around a relatively tiny number of worlds (of which Earth is not the main battlefield), involves less than a hundred capital ships between both sides, and on a galactic scale is insignificant.

Parallels to the Iraq war and/or Afghanistan are... interesting (BTW, in my language "yeerk" and "Iraq" is pronounced the same).

(cont.)
>>
>>44856826
As for why Elfangor chose children?

Actually, from his point of view, because they simply happened to be there. He was dying and the fight had to go on. A bunch of kids passed nearby.

Cosmically speaking, it was all orchestrated by Ellimist.
>>
File: good-job04.gif (2 MB, 273x240) Image search: [Google]
good-job04.gif
2 MB, 273x240
>>44856826
>>
In one of the earliest Animorphs threads on /tg/ I participated in we discussed what Iron Age andalite armed forces would look and behave like. As a race of centaurs fighting other centaurs they don't have infantry in the traditional sense. Would they all fight like knights or would they fight like mounted archers or would there still be our kind of dileneations based on income with the lords being able to outfit themselves as knight analogues and the common soldier a light cavalryman?
>>
>>44856826
>Parallels to the Iraq war and/or Afghanistan are... interesting (BTW, in my language "yeerk" and "Iraq" is pronounced the same).
Also, the fact that one side possesses massive technological superiority and firepower, and the other side is using weapons that either used to belong to the first one or were fabricated from trash based on "as close as they could get to the original design"+pragmatic modifications (e.g. bug fighters possessing cloaking devices by default, which is something andalite fighters CAN have but normally don't... At least if you're willing to take the andalites' word for it. It's quite possible that they believe in the klingon definition of honorable combat).
>>
>>44856936
Tail fighting would've been a thing back then, so they wouldn't have to craft weaponry.
>>
>>44856954
Certainly not the only thing they use. the tail blade is a weapon. Not the end all, be all of weapons. Are they just going to have their hands by their sides while using the tail? no
>>
>>44854639
>Time traveling to get dinosaur forms would be awesome though.
You can't. Remember, they all had a T-rex morph when they time traveled, but didn't keep it when they returned to their own time.

>>44854706
That was a backup plan, actually. The Ellimist's primary plan was to use the Animorphs to win, as noted by how he stacked the deck to a ridiculous degree with them. But the whole Yeerk thing was just a sideshow for Ellimist and Crayak as a whole.

>>44856330
>the yeerks pull off a frighteningly well-planned invasion
It was Visser One's plan, anon. That's why it worked.
>>
>>44856641
>filthy unterandaliten
I kek'd
>>
>>44854605
>There's a bit later on where the main cast has a morphing cube recovered from the invaders or something, and uses it to turn a bunch of disabled kids into throw-away soldiers to boost their numbers. Your party could pick flaws for their human side, blindness, deafness, limb disorders, weak hearts, etc., then suddenly these seemingly magical people show up, let you turn into animals, maybe even aliens for a short while and you can Live without that flaw for a while?

Jesus Christ, I did not remember that part of the books.
>>
>>44856826
>>44856747
>>44856641
The biggest thing is that the Andalites is lying about their tech advantage.
Sure, its fucking huge, but the Yeerks have the industrial output and tech level to have actual space battles and battlefronts.

>In other words, the andalites had a sizeable fleet of planet killing warships just...
Leftover from the previous wars? Or the leaders realized they needed a reserve in case there was a actual outer space alien invasion?
>>
>>44854639
I think that getting the morphs could be pretty cool as a quest itself. Figure out how you get a Giant Squid/sperm whale morph.
>>
>>44856968
It's mentioned that Andalite arms are actually quite delicate, even feeble, which is why their Shredder weapons and similar are so light, because they don't have the strength to lift them otherwise. The tail, by contrast, is all massive muscle.

Of course, Andalite evolution was meddled with by the Ellimist in the distant past anyway.
>>
>>44857004
>Leftover from the previous wars? Or the leaders realized they needed a reserve in case there was a actual outer space alien invasion?

Nobody keeps 40-50 planet killers (a purely offensive capability, BTW) "in reserve", certainly not a race of pacifists. Their fighters? Sure, I buy that they may've originally been intended for exploration (which could explain their robustness and general capabilities, which have nothing to do with what we'd call a "fighter" and almost everything with what we'd call "a cross between a polar research vessel and a Coast Guard patrol boat"), but the DomeShips are far too much. Those weren't just built for war, they were meant for a terrible, apocalyptic, xenocidal total war.

>leftover from the previous war
My point exactly. Ax claims that the andalites used to be sunshine-and-bunnies pacifists. Reality shows that, sometime in the recent past, they've engaged in an offensive war on a horrific scale. It's not even like the DomeShips were buried underground and had to be reactivated, Spear of Adun style. They were READY in the days right before the yeerk war started. Not active, but ready to go on a fairly short notice. Trained crew was available, systems were in good repair, etc.

>The biggest thing is that the Andalites is lying about their tech advantage.

While the andalites may not possess many technological "gamechangers" on the yeerks (with the exception of morphing and the quantum virus), they ARE technologically superior. For once, they're the ones who invented all that technology in the first place - yeerk versions are just very serviceable knockoffs. Not to belittle yeerk capabilities by any means, but while they could improve upon existing designs it's unlikely they could make up entirely new ones. Second, all andalite hardware demonstrates capabilities far in excess of their yeerk counterparts. Their ships are bigger, their cannons are INFINITELY more destructive, their shields can take more damage, etc.
>>
>>44857004
>Or the leaders realized they needed a reserve in case there was a actual outer space alien invasion?
But anon, that goes against their OH SO HONARABU PACIFIST MENTARITY
>>
>>44857109
>Nobody keeps 40-50 planet killers
So there is SPACE WAR
Space War ends
You have 50 planet killers leftover.
Do you decommission them, or do you maintain them since they are first class work that needs to be maintained?
>>
>>44857109
In other words, while it's not a "bullets vs. lasers" situation, where each side uses a completely different "level" of technology, the andalites quite clearly have a serious advantage in here. Consider a war between the US and North Korea. Both would be using missiles, airplanes and submarines but the North Korean versions of each would be thirty years out of date while the American ones would be very near the top of the line.

Also, the andalites show a capacity for destruction on a strategic level the yeerks do not seem to have. We know both sides make use of artillery and tactical missile strikes (since the andalites had set up point-defense platforms on the battlefields of Leera which targeted fast flying objects as assumed artillery rounds) but only the andalite fighters can double as bombers/carry warheads, which bug fighters cannot.

Also, and this is worth repeating, andalite capital ships' main guns make holes in moons.
>>
>>44857137
Read the rest of the post. I referred exactly to that.
>>
>>44854022
Hyena for combat. Peregrine Falcon for travel.
>>
>>44857137
Other anon's point is exactly that, the ships existed for space war before the yeerks but the andalite narrative is they had no space war before the yeerks
>>
>>44857109
>My point exactly. Ax claims that the andalites used to be sunshine-and-bunnies pacifists.
Anon, you see the Andalites pre-Ellimist in the Ellimist Chronicles. You also notice the "bundle of energy" that their brains run on when Tobias morphs into an Andalite, similar to a dolphin morph.

They've been hardened by war, but the core is still there, as noted by how the military caste is very effectively overruled by the majority of the Andalite civilian population at the conclusion of the Earth conflict (where Ax issues a challenge to the Andalite commander on the grounds that the wider Andalite population would not support glassing Earth, and he was right).
>>
>>44857219
Or so claims the andalite military caste.

Evidence points out to them having ruled andalite society for a very, very long time. Feudal warlordism, basically.
>>
>>44857219
>Dolphins as a measure of compassion
Just because they're gleeful and hyperactive doesn't mean they're not bastards. Dolphins gleefully, hyperactively murder their own offspring for shit and giggles and rape everything that smells female, and unlike most animals they ARE probably intelligent enough to know they don't have to. They just find rape fun.
>>
>>44856982
They didn't get very far, only about 40 or 50 new recruits before the Yeerks caught on and stole the cube, starting to create morphers out of some of their host bodies.
>>
>>44857234
>Or so claims the andalite military caste.
Nigga what, it's in the fucking books. Ax issues a challenge, it has to go to the civilian population for a vote, and they OVERWHELMINGLY support Ax. And post-war, the Andalite tourists who show up on Earth to see the sights are very much towards the "sunshine and bunnies" type.

>>44857248
It's the "happy play" sensation. Hang on, I'll grab the quote.

Ah, yes, I wasn't accurate with the dolphin comparison:

And then I recognized the Andalite mind.
Yes, it was all the things I'd imagined it would be. Confident. Alert.
Poised for combat.
But there was another element that took me off guard. Something bubbling
happily away beneath the rationality. Nothing giddy like a dolphin's
playfulness. Something less simple.
Optimism. That was it. Intense optimism.
<Man! I had no idea.> I turned my head toward Ax. His eyes were smiling,
the way they do.
<Keep in mind that you are experiencing instinct. The Andalite mind in
its untrained state. Our culture teaches us to temper and control our
optimism, to give equal value to realism. We have become, regrettably, a
race of warriors. But that is in response to necessity. Down deeper,
beneath that, I believe we are a peaceful species, in love with
learning, not combat. But to learn - and to fight - you must be joyful.
I think an ancient Andalite inscribed that on a shormitor.>
>>
>>44857219
>Anon, you see the Andalites pre-Ellimist in the Ellimist Chronicles. You also notice the "bundle of energy" that their brains run on when Tobias morphs into an Andalite, similar to a dolphin morph.
You see andalites in an extremely primitively state probably comparable to homo heidelbergensis. There's a lot of time between the Elimist's andalite vacation and their Iron Age and then their modern period.
>>
>>44857248

Dolphins are the crossed of the animal kingdom.

Either them or ducks, it could go either way.
>>
>>44856065
Or when they morphed orcas, or whales. Both were sentient on some level, and the orca mind even knew that it was being controlled. Isn't that fucking terrifying to think about.
>>
Can we all just agree that the andalites represent an extremely cynical deconstruction of America IN SPACE, and the yeerks are a stand-in for Afghans? The whole situation with the controller paranoia even mirrors the American terrorist scares. "Anyone could be a terrorist! We MUST be vigilant at all times!"

I don't care if the series was written pre-9/11, call it prophetic.
>>
>>44857272
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_%28Animorphs%29

Here we go. Andelite bandit auxiliaries start showing up here.
>>
>>44857325
Controller paranoia and guerrilla warfare only seems to exist on Earth, by and large. For the majority of the war, going on in space, it's direct combat even when the fight reaches the surface of planets, such as Leera.
>>
>>44856339

Not the same anon.

I don't know what happened to the buffalo but the ant morphed into cassie and freaked out because it now had sentience.
>>
>>44857276
Not the grimdark cynical anon, but that natural optimism instinct doesn't really negate the possibility of them having fought some really nasty wars recently. There's definitely a lot of inconsistencies in the Andalites' narrative, whether that's due to something grimdark or to bad writing, I couldn't speculate.
>>
>>44857311
>I had encountered intelligence in a morph before. But there was something new here. New for me, at least. The orca was aware. Of me. Of something, someone directing its behavior.
>It knew, in some incomplete, simplistic way, that it was being controlled.
><Let's go, big boy,> I said.
>No answer from the orca, of course. But that cool, appraising intelligence, though it was devoid of memory of learning, empty of all knowledge except the knowledge encoded as instinct, that intelligence watched me.

All of my fucking NOPE right there.
>>
>>44857325
That would be the Red Scare, then, probably.
>>
>>44857372
True, it is worth noting that Applegate had other people ghostwriting most of the books, though they worked from a master set of notes.
>>
>>44854144
>I'm 12
Thanks for the heads-up.
>>
>>44857394
Gosh. What'd happen if you morphed something with human-level intelligence, I wonder. What about something significantly smarter?
>>
>>44857415
That's why it's impolite, taboo and immoral to morph other people.
>>
>>44857415
Tobias had to do this on several occasions, not only turning into himself, but also morphing into the original, un-injured and un-plastic'd body of a voluntary host that'd claimed to be part of the pacifist movement among the Yeerks.
>>
>>44857415
They avoid morphing other humans or otherwise sentient creatures as much as possible, unless they get permission first. Because they have to exert direct control over the mind of the morph.
>>
>>44857449
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Test_%28Animorphs%29

This one. Used her face to meet with her incognito.
>>
>>44857415
On the bright side, when Cassie is trying to morph a whale and is running out of energy, risking that she won't succeed and won't survive, she can feel the whale's mind and will actively supporting her from the other side of the in-progress morph, letting her finish the morph into a whale in time and save the day.

It's definitely a weird situation.
>>
>>44857325
They mirror the cold war more.
Which side is Soviet and which side is USA isn't important, what is important is that Earth is a satellite state.
Its fucked in the long term unless the war ends.

I think Afhganistan might be right. Or Iran. Or South Korea.
>>
>>44857372
Knowing Katherine Applegate, assume grimdark.
>>
Most people in here seem to favor "Auxiliary Animorphs during the last stages of the war" as a campaign setting. I agree.
>>
>>44857510
>Making Out is a series of young adult novels by authors K. A. Applegate and Michael Grant
>The books dealt with several difficult topics (such as the death of a parent, molestation, divorce, disability, drugs, and alcohol)
jesus.
At the least she figured out she can write Grimdark science fiction instead of teenage smut
>>
>>44853258
For combat rules, I propose D&D Level 1 to 3 Peasant rules for humans, with Animorphs being treated as using Wild Shape and the subsequent stat blocks for standard animals.
>>
>>44857801
Make sure if you're keeping time for their morphs, you call them their hours and their minutes.
>>
>tfw the Pemalite ship security code
>>
>>44854022

Some kind of heavily combat-oriented dog. Easy enough to pass undetected.

For the heavy cannons, I'd surely want a bear, if just only to yell telephatic puns at my enemies

Also an orca
>>
>>44857949
Innocence has its price.
>>
>>44855990

It actually was an explicit chimera in the genetic sense
>>
>>44854022
Whale for sea travel, definitely.

Peregrine falcon or wedge-tailed eagle (Australian) for flight travel, with a duck as a backup for long distance.

Combat morph I'd probably roll with a polar bear or lion.
>>
>>44855990
Yes. It's described as having some features remniscient of each Animorph except Tobias for obvious reasons, and is apparently ~extremely~ attractive.
>>
>>44854022
Something fast with good vision for movement. Like a Falcon.

For combat it would be a oversized Ape, or a supersized combat dog.
>>
>>44855992
Yeah, there's one advantage that would do it, and then everything else is skills skill skills
>>
>>44854022
Combat: Polar bear, elephant, hippo, saltwater crocodile, cookie-cutter fish, sperm whale, eagle owl. Travel: human, bottlenose dolphin, sperm whale, condor, housecat. Different morphs for different specific needs.
>>
>>44858353
I don't know that a dolphin morph would be very good for travel. They all usually seem to have serious problems keeping its mind under control. The first time they tried it they wound up losing an hour of morph time playing around until Tobias got them back on track, and even after they knew what to expect they still had a habit of losing time.
>>
>>44857160

There's an easier explanation for the Domeships. They're the Andelites garden variety large spaceships. Hence the domes. They're almost like mobile colonies. And the Z-Space drives to get around require such psychotically high amounts of energy to work that you have so much avaliable from even a small power plant excess that large scale weapons aren't hard to use. Plus you're defending what amounts to a mobile ecosystem, so it figures you'd guard it jealously, just in case. Andalite science being so advance makes the entire thing a fairly easy thing to do.
>>
>>44858736
They functionally are mobile colonies, because they let the Andalites move about the galaxy to explore. The main reason they're so large, though, is because the Andalite race were prey animals (eye stalks to see predators from different locations, tail to defend themselves) who lived in herds until the Ellimist came along and advanced some of them, at which point they began to form their civilisation, but they all suffer from extreme claustrophobia. Hence, they aspire to make their ships and quarters as big as possible, in order to have the most space inside to roam around in. Even their smallest fighters are larger than a school bus in terms of available space to move around in.

So to compensate for the massive size of the ships, they have similarly massive power plants, to keep everything running. The big guns on a Dome ship are the same as on a small fighter in type, they just have a lot more power packed behind them because of how XBOX HUEG the Andalites make their ships.
>>
>>44853445
Probably because the animals have scent markers to identify them. Moving up to an animal AS that animal would be like somsone walking up to you with your face. Our brains are built to notice the slight differences in faces that make up our unique faces; animal brains are built the same for scent.

>>44854639
>dinosaur forms
You'd suffocate upon morphing, and the lack of oxygen would make it really hard to morph back in time.
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (31 KB, 495x373) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
31 KB, 495x373
>>44856401
I loved the books. I did not finish them. Hell, I barely read them in any semblance of order. I was not aware that the crew has a bunch of cripples killed as a distraction.
>>
>>44858859
>You'd suffocate upon morphing, and the lack of oxygen would make it really hard to morph back in time.
Not to mention that things acquired in a Sario Rip don't hold together outside of the rip. It's a stable time loop.
>>
>>44858736
>>44858857
That is not how weapons work, and even if you could make them work like that, a race of enlightened scientist-philosophers would realize that it's stupid and dangerous. You don't mount a planet killer on a colony ship. The whole "carry a piece of our world with us" and prey animal thing is valid, just irrelevant. Andalites need a big ship to travel in, true, but that's the same whether it's a colony ship on a warship. It's just that it carries weapons on a scale that makes no sense for the former.
>>
>>44858857

Their quarters are described as being extremely small though. Elfangor mentions he has to back out into the corridor to turn around.
>>
>>44858971
>That is not how weapons work
For a soft sci-fi setting with futuretech power plants, it might be. Particularly if they're directed energy weapons.

>planet killer
No, you don't. You mount something that can deal with capship shields. You use your own race as a reference, and as it turns out, the Andalites have very, very strong sheild tech.
>>
File: 1433485535706.jpg (83 KB, 625x468) Image search: [Google]
1433485535706.jpg
83 KB, 625x468
>>44858019
>For the heavy cannons, I'd surely want a bear, if just only to yell telephatic puns at my enemies
>if just only to yell telephatic puns at my enemies
My brother of darkened skin.
>>
>>44859131
Why would they need shields like that in the first place if they've never gone to war before? Do they have a habit of driving their colony ships into suns? Yes, yes, space is filled with meteorites and dust but a shield like that is so overkill no intelligent race would use it. It's not a matter of culture, it's a matter of basic logic. The energy expenditure of a shield like that cannot be economical compared to its supposed function.

Face it, anon. The andalites built warships, they built many of them, and they built them for furious attack. They were not a peaceful race, and now they're lying about it. Moreover, all of this is completely in-line, thematically, with the rest of the series AND with Applegate's writing. This, for a change, is not a case of /tg/ trying to force grimdark down the throat of an innocent setting. This a story which, in the text itself, started with child soldiers and PTSD and went downhill in child friendliness. Is it that hard to believe it would feature a race of two faced, self righteous space Nazis?
>>
>>44854022
Support/Auxiliary morph? Probably a Kangaroo; those fuckers are right bastards.

Heavy morph? Either a Crocodile or a Gorilla.

Travel morph? Pigeon, Horse, or Human, since humans are one of the most durable long distance movers on Earth
>>
>>44859269
>Why would they need shields like that in the first place if they've never gone to war before?
What do you think happens if you hit a comet, in space? Or you leave FTL in a astroid field by accident?
>>
>>44858971
>a race of enlightened scientist-philosophers would realize that it's stupid and dangerous.
A race of enlightened scientist-philosophers, if they were truly rational, would require every citizen to be trained in the art of war with every school bus outfitted with an anti-aircraft cannon.
Being highly militarized and ready to fuck shit up when it's necessary is not mutually exclusive to being enlightened-philosophers.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that "pacifistic scientist-philosophers" is an oxymoron.
>>
>>44859269

There's a big gap between 'gone to war before', and 'bloodthirsty totalitarian history-editing galactic warlord hyporcrites' that anon's pushing.
>overkill
They have the technology.
>economical
See above. Morphing technology and hyperspace and pistol sized disintergrators alone suggest a race pretty damn far up the tech tree.
>not a peaceful race
Contradicted by whatsisface whinging about how the high council expects all their soldiers to be scientists and poets as well as fighters.

This is anon taking a setting that HAD grimdark in it and trying to turn the ambiguous knob hard to full retard.
>>
>>44859300
That's not something that any civilization advanced enough to have spaceships will ever have to consider. Do you have any idea what the odds are of hitting something like that in space? Something that you can sense from literally millions of miles away, that is so big and so slow and requires so little effort to dodge that you can literally let modern day autopilot systems on probes manage it?

And "asteroid fields"? Do you know how dense these are in real life? (which is to say, "not at all?)

Animorphs is fine and dandy, but if you're going to be making science claims, at the very least open a harder science fiction book. I'm not asking you to learn astronomy for this argument, but at least get acquainted with some basics.
>>
>>44859588
Its not even that hard to justify. Shields are a backup system for space exploration. Since Light is as fast as it is, sun pulses is a problem.
Navigation not working due stuff is a problem.
Would you rather the shield just fix everything, or risk the ship?

I am also not sure if its suppose to be a finer speculation of what sentient herbivores turns into. Andaliths seems extremely scared of there existing Hunters.
Contrast to Humans where we have turned the entire planet into OUR animal zoo.
Did the books ever have Andaliths interact with EQUALS, in space?
>>
>>44859663
>herbivores
Based on Andalite eating habits I'd be very surprised if they stomped on you the feet wouldn't start to eat you. Their "herbivore" tendencies could also be part of this white washing of their history. "Oh yes, we've always been peaceful herbivores. Pay no attention to how our feet can eat things indiscriminately and we have a sword on our tails."
>>
>>44856945
The series wrapped up before those even started I think, but in Visser One's backstory she briefly infested an Iraqi soldier in the Gulf War.
>>
>>44858971
>The whole "carry a piece of our world with us" and prey animal thing is valid, just irrelevant.
Not if you've recently risked glassing your homeworld.
>>
>>44859804
Which, once again, leads us to the conclusion that the andalites have a history of terrible warfare that they shove under the rug when they talk to the humans.
>>
>>44859887
Oh, I was supporting your grimderp. Campaign ideas, though. My favorite part of the entire series was Star Trek adventures with young Elfangor, and all the bizarre aliens they encounter. Like the battle with the living asteroids. No deities meddling, no foul play, they're just in a space opera asteroid thicket that starts eating fighters, because space is huge and weird things happen.
>>
>>44857109
The United States and Russia both have enough nukes in reserve to kill 40 or 50 planets quite died in reserve. Now, neither has the delivery systems to put so much as a firecracker anywhere outside the local system, but they still have the warheads to do the damage.
>>
>you will never bro it up with a yeerk partner and help him climb the ranks of his military while he helps you score with popular chicks
>>
>>44860121
A Yeerk campaign would be sweet. A team of operatives with a portable Kandrona traveling around the world taking out teams of Animorphs, crashed Andalites, independent Hork-Bajir colonies, anti-Yeerks in high places, and Yeerk Resistance cells. Swapping hosts all over the place, having to give up most morph-capable hosts to your higher-ups, keeping a stable of humans for different situations.
>>
>>44860086
That is stupidly false, MAD as a function of literal destruction of our planet's biosphere is outside of our nuclear capabilities. The closest it ever got was a conveniently truncated Mutually Assured Destruction (of our respective contiguous governments). Both the USSR and America had plans on the books to fight and win a nuclear war. MAD is propaganda.
>>
>>44859735
I think it came up with slugs and Ax's feet, and he found it rather unpleasant. That said, herbivores can stomach a bit of meat but not digest it well, and carnivores can stomach a bit of vegetation but not necessarily digest it well.
>>
>>44860086
>to kill 40 or 50 planets quite died in reserve
Not even slightly true. Nuclear winter hasn't been a credible concept for a long time.
>>
>>44860215
I always loved Yeerk lore, which is why Visser was my favorite book. Evil underdogs always have the most compelling stories.
>>
>>44858076
Well yeah, no shit.
If I was cobbling together my appearance from scratch, I'd try my damnedest to make it look as good as possible
>>
>>44857394
>subhuman mind
>coming off as this elder-god-style alien entity
That's an achievement right there
>>
File: DoNotReplyToSkinwalkers.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
DoNotReplyToSkinwalkers.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>>44856314
>>44853316
I am pretty sure both of you are Skinwalkers.
>>
>>44860954
>implying the elder-gods aren't subhuman intelligences
Functionally, there is no difference between a truly alien hyperintelligent mind, and a non-sapient subhuman one.
You can't communicate with either in a meaningful manner, and the if the alien mind is truly alien, you can't hope to understand its thought processes and logic, nor can it do so with yours.
>>
>>44860974
Why?
>>
>>44860121
There's a blog out there I read through a while back where the two authors go through and recap all the books. One of the things I'd forgotten about was how funny it is whenever we get to see glimpses of the yeerk "middle management". Like sure, there are plenty of yeerks doing espionage and geurilla warfare shit, but for every one of those there's someone stuck on desk duty hoping that they don't have to deal with one of Visser 3's tantrums today. It 's gotta be boring for both the Yeerk and the host, and I'd guess more than a few ended up broing it up.

>>44856330
If the yeerks had their shit together and swapped Visser 1 and 3's assignments, the animorphs would've lost.
>>
>>44861112
You're talking about Cinnamon BunZAH. Wonderful blog. The two (the girl especially, forgot her name) also write pretty great fanfiction, ranging from fascinating explorations of the setting to really heartwarming to eye wateringly hilarious.

The ones about Visser 3's "home life" are fucking amazing. Him and all of his kittens.
>>
>>44857019
Yeah, if that's the case, then lances or mounted archery would be out of the question, since they both require too much strength. My best guess for what they'd use in their hands pre-gun would probably be either entangling weapons (to trip/impede enemies and make them more vulnerable to tail strikes) or light slashing weapons (since the damage dealt is less dependent on strength)
>>
>>44861185
That was it! I got a kick out of the in-character facebook posts, too.
>>
>>44861204
Or atlatls. A little kid can use it to throw a javelin across the street. I know that because when I was 7 our physics teacher gave us atlatls.

He was the cool kind of physics teacher. He'd blow up trashcans around the school, broke several chairs with a kendo sword, and destroyed someone's car by accident by firing a homemade railgun.
>>
>>44860121
I'd run a suicide mission where a Yeerk and his host decide to sabotage a Yeerk operation. The human knows that he'll die if he's discovered or caught at any stage. The Yeerk knows they'll die if they succeed because it will mean that they won't have access to a pool anymore.
>>
>>44861355
Teaming up players to be Yeerk/human duos. Worst idea or best idea?
>>
>>44857532
I'd personally go for "you're taking the place of the main animorphs", just for the variety in the kinds of sessions you could run. By the time the auxiliaries come in it's pretty much open warfare, and that cuts out the "secret war" feel that a lot of the series is built on.

>>44857016
Yeah, that could be a good way to open a session. You'd see it in the books, too, with how they had to keep sneaking into the zoo, or when Tobias had to interrupt a dolphin show by grabbing onto one mid-flight.

As a kid I always liked the goofy cold-opens and weird filler books; you could have fun with those for "breather" sessions between major quests, like discrediting a Controller celebrity or dealing with the Helmacrons.

If you wanted to go more serious, you could work in a "David" arc, or do a riff on that time Cassie had to perform brain surgery.
>>
>>44861382
>one player does combat
>one player does social
Hmmmm
>>
>>44853258
I'd make sure the setting is aggressively 90's.
>>
>>44861382
Last Animorphs thread someone green texted a controller of a nerd. The Yeerk goes insane on oatmeal while raging about anime.
>>
>>44861204
I wonder if you could mount a weapon on the tail to improve its lethality.
>>
>>44861678
If the tail could hold knifes or shards, it would be a awesome weapon.
>>
>>44861678
>>44861707

It's already strong enough to savage enemies in the blink of an eye.

I mean, Ax literally disarms multiple people in the span it takes most of the animorphs to throw a punch.
>>
>>44861678
>Mounting a bigger blade on your tail-blade
>Mounting a whip to give yourself ludicrous reach

Actually doesn't seem like a bad idea.
>>
I made a thread last night about the same thing. Still wondering what the best system would be, few people seem to have answered that. I'll be reading GURPS soon, and Savage World as well. I would be willing to GM an animorphs campaign. Looking for players, as I don't know enough people to pull it off. Add me on skype if you're interested. robustescapist. Time zone PST, free weekday evenings, and potentially weekends. Let me know if you have any ideas.
>>
The elemist uplifted andalites and if not they would still be stone age barbarians. He even told them to call themselves andalites

So any sympathy in that regard you show the yeerks you must show them as well.
>>
>>44861971
The yeerks got uplifted by Sauron and they're still more sympathetic than the guys who got uplifted by Doctor Manhattan
>>
>>44862015
Now I have the mental image of Dr. Manhattan and Sauron doing battle, Sauron using his mace and Doc swinging his big blue cock like a club.
>>
>>44862015
but the yeerks got uplifted by the andalites, the elemist didn't create the andalites, he found them when he was tired of his fightan with crayak
>>
>>44861777
whips trips
>>
>>44861914
>what the best system would be
Always a bad question. Answer is always GURPS if you want unsatisfyingly crunchy, Fate if you want unsatisfyingly fluffy, find a system suited to the type of adventure (cloak and dagger Yeerk pool raiding, rising to the top of the FBI as controllers suspense, manipulating teams of Animorphs as Crayak) and modify the rules accordingly.
>>
>>44854022
Jaguar, strongest bite in the animal family.
>>
Risk all fingers to get a Mantis Shrimp morph? Yes/No?
>>
I only got halfway through this series because the books are so damn hard to find
>>
>>44862336
You could just drain its tank, wait until it's nearly suffocated, and then acquire it when it's too weak to move.
>>
>>44861971
>and if not they would still be stone age barbarians
Would they? I kinda doubt it. Yes, he boosted their advancement by centuries, but I'm sure that they wouldn't be stuck in the state that the Ellimist found them in, millennia ago.
>>
>>44854022
You think morphing into a sort of spider would be a good way to get over one's arachnophobia?
>>
>>44862518
No
>>
>>44862518
Could you get over it enough to touch a spider to acquire it?
>>
>>44862518
No. You would most likely get PSTD over how scared and paranoid spiders are.
There is a reason they are defensive ambush predators.
>>
>>44862455
I have literally the entire collection, even alternamorphs, in my closet. Bought them as they came out when I was a kid.
>>
>>44862557
I need it.

I didn't get into the series until after it was finished.
>>
>>44854022
Remember when Jake morphed a Howler, and then never did it again?
>>
>>44862649
Yes.
>>
>>44862549
Really? I never knew spiders could feel fear.
>>
>>44862698
Every animal feels fear
>>
>>44862698
Primate fear != Arachanid fear
There is still the reason why they hide, build webs, most of them avoid ambushing, is super jumpy and more.
The hydraulic legs don't help.
>>
>>44862455
Not so hard to find the ebooks.
>>
File: spider-portia[1].jpg (131 KB, 550x427) Image search: [Google]
spider-portia[1].jpg
131 KB, 550x427
>>44862549
How about this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portia_(genus)
Hyper-intelligent by spider standards and attacks other spiders in their webs by sneaking up on them or luring them into traps.
>>
>>44862649
remember when they gave some random kid and a Yeerk the ability to morph after obtaining the blue box, yet Tobias is still trapped as a hawk?
>>
>>44862835
To be fair Tobais opted to stay in his situation after they re-acquired the blue box.
>>
File: cage.gif (3 MB, 390x194) Image search: [Google]
cage.gif
3 MB, 390x194
>>44862557
>he still lives where he did when he was a kid
Unless you inherited the ranch and now live there with your wife caring for your aging parents. I'm jealous now and a little sad.
>>
>>44862549
If I remember correctly, the spider morph wasn't really fearful, just very aware. PTSD still occurred after Marco was eaten by a bird, and had to morph out in its gullet. I imagine after being an Animorph for long enough, things like being afraid of spiders would just seem irrelevant.
>>
>>44862869
I wonder if he thought about the reduced lifespan.
>yfw Tobias is probably dead by the time of the final epilogue
>>
>>44853258
Did everyone but me read this fucking shlock?
>>
>>44862834
The distinction in behavior between jumping spiders and normal spiders is what gives it away.
Also trapdoor spiders.
Web spinners are super scared.
Jumpers is most likely super scared too, but smart and strong enough to setup a ambush so it can masturbate over being smart.
>>
>>44862869
The reasoning in every book of Tobias still being a hawk, was that he could would be trapped as a human, and unable to be an Animorph. No mention of the blue box at all.
>>
>>44862835
>>44862869
Once you're stuck in a morph, you can't just use the blue box to regain morphing powers. Tobias only got them back thanks to Ellimist fuckery, and part of the price was that hawk was still his default form.

He could have always just gotten himself stuck as a human, but that would mean giving up his ability to fight with the others. Also as the series goes on it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be human again.
>>
>>44862977
>Tobias gets powers back
>morphs into human form for undercover shit
>gets in a room with Visser 3 or somebody like that
>casually reveals that Elfangor is actually Tobias' father
>Tobias doesn't break cover at all
>not because he's a good actor or anything
>but because he's spent so much time as a hawk, he's forgotten how to properly emote as a human
Being Tobias is suffering.
>>
>>44862977
Makes sense. The books weren't terribly clear on that. Or I missed it because of editing issues with the ebooks.
>>44862892
He could very well have an extended lifespan because of Ellimist fuckery. I don't think the books really mention it much, but that's my headcanon.
>>
>>44863045
I've seen people speculate that he purposefully got himself trapped as a hawk because he loved flying and his home life was so shitty.

Not to mention that his response to the final battle and losing Rachel is to basically just fuck off into the woods.

>>44862892
I think there was that one weird book where Jake wakes up in a future where the Yeerks won and we see that he's survived by trapping himself in his Ax morph.
>>
I love the character development in these books, it's a large part of what makes them so good

>Jake goes from natural leader to battle commander. Knows strengths and weaknesses of all of his friends, forces himself to be able to send them into dangerous situations or even sacrifice them if necessary
>Cassie, a person who loves all living things has to come to terms with the horrors of war, and sacrificing lives for the greater good.
>Rachel is fucking battle mad, and thrives in combat. Becomes the most bloodthirsty, has the least qualms about killing people.
>Marcos role in the group is to be the joker, but is simultaneously the most ruthless and realistic. Joker on the outside, bit is inwardly bitter, knowing he and his friends may very well die horribly.
>Ax learns his race is not the perfect race he thought they were, also trapped millions of miles away from home, in war.
>Tobias

Every member of the Animorphs has nearly died dozens of times. Seen atrocities most people never dream about. Constant flow of bad dreams, severe PTSD from all the shit theyve gone through. Not even in highshool. Have to shoulder the fate of the entire world, and their species. Sacrifice their morals for the greater good.
>>
>>44863045
Most of these kids would have been taken in by social services to avoid their parents ruining them, in countries with strong social services.
Let that sink in.
Fucking Applegate.
>>
>>44863251
I bet this is why child soldiers are used in real life as well; they're more plastic, and so they can adapt and thrive to war.
>>
>>44859663
That had a war with something called "The Five" that ended with The Five getting destroyed. They were supposedly advanced.
>>
>>44863294
This is exactly why, the problem is the adaption is more or less permanent and there is no reliable way to demobilize them once the war ends.
>>
>>44863251
>Not even in highshool
Shit, really? I was always under the impression that they were sophomores or juniors
>>
>>44863405
And i forgot about the Kelbrid, which the Andalites fought to a standstill, leaving a border in space that neither race should cross.
>>
>>44862872
I took all my books with me when I moved out anon, we aren't all living on neetbux in a dilapidated basement. I have a library.
>>
>>44863449
>and there is no reliable way to demobilize them once the war ends
Paintball thunderdome for the civilized world's amusment?
>>
>>44853258
I would go full SJW.
>>
>>44863562
Jesus Christ, this has to be a joke.
>>
>>44863562
What
>>
>>44863562
Jesus this looks so corny. It'd look passable without the animals, or at least without the ridiculous glowing eyes and beams
>>
>>44863497
Nope. Connecting the dots reveals they were THIRTEEN when the series started, 16 when it ended.
>>
>>44863594
Well I started high school at 13.

Say, any citation for this? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious as to what these dots are
>>
>>44863562
>stronk wymyn is an aquatic rape machine
>mouthbreather nu-male is a fucking cat
>chink is an eagle
>>
>>44863562
this can be good with a dash of Hotline Miami
>>
>>44863606
>Well I started high school at 13.
Jesus fuck I'm surprised you got out of there alive are you a ghost
>>
>>44863606
Not the same anon, but it's considered common knowledge among the fanbase. I'm not actually sure if it's true or not, I just accepted it as a fact. Sounds in line with what we know about Applegate.

>Jake hasn't had his Bar Mitvah and Rachel may've not had yet her period when both were forced into a war with alien body snatchers

SOUNDS LIKE OUR KATHERINE
>>
>>44863642
Dude what? Most people start high school at ages 13-14.
>>
>>44862927
Do you beat your wife often?
>>
>>44863647
>>Jake hasn't had his Bar Mitvah
SINCE WHEN WAS JAKE A JEW
I'm the guy who only got halfway through the series, mid 30s
>>
>>44863647
>Katherine Applegate: The American Gen Urobochi
>>
>>44863606
There are a few good indicators. Jake mentions not making the cut for junior high basketball. He also doesnt go to the same school as his brother Tom, who is a highschooler. Rachel mentions one of here friends 12th (or 13th, she cant remember) birthday. I believe in the final book, Jake says he was 13 when the war started, and he has been fighting for 3 years.
>>
>>44863587
>>44863588
>>44863593
>not knowing about liartownusa
>>
>>44863692
Ah, I see
>>
>>44863678
Megamorphs (either 2 or 3, being a long time since I Iast argued about this on the internet) reveals Jake and Rachel are both Jewish (though it is TECHNICALLY only confirmed Rachel's father is Jewish, so it possible, though uncertain, that she might only be culturally Jewish as opposed to fully by the religion. Jake's the whole package, though)
>>
>>44863704
Oh, that makes sense.
>>
>>44863685
That isn't far off. Everything she writes seeps grimdark or angst.
>>
>>44863735
More of a discussion than an argument. Nobody seems angry. What exactly do Megamorphs entail? My library didn't have them, and I'm in the middle of re reading the series, at book 38 right now.
>>
>>44863776
Megamorphs are like movies, if the books are TV episodes. Each chapter switches characters, while each book sticks to one person
>>
>>44863776
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Animorphs_books#Companion_books
>>
Anyone read this hot garbage?

The first 2/3rds were really good, but then apparently the series was cancelled, and Applegate had to wrap up a story that was supposed to be as long as Animorphs in just three more books.
>>
>>44863110
>I think there was that one weird book where Jake wakes up in a future where the Yeerks won and we see that he's survived by trapping himself in his Ax morph.
Not that he would try that now, with just his urn of Rachel to look at anyway.
>>
>>44863502
And the ice surfers that they harvested for computer parts.
>>
>>44863816
It had what, 14 or so books? Yeah, the last few books were rushed as fuck.
>>
>>44863847
They used the melted ski aliens. Pretty weird shit.
>>
>>44863854
Thats too bad. Look interesting, but I wouldnt read it, after hearing that. Hate rushed, shoddy endings.Just ruins the whole thing.
>>
File: 6c5f0ab5d5[1].jpg (197 KB, 1173x380) Image search: [Google]
6c5f0ab5d5[1].jpg
197 KB, 1173x380
>>44863878
Darn, I wish I didn't say anything. It really is worth a read. It's crazy as fuck. Give it a shot.
>>
>>44863932
>Guy can turn into a pile of worms
>Worm-morphs to scare some dude
>Comes back out feeling great
>Turns out he ate that guy alive
>>
>>44861914
interested quite a bit, sent you a request.
>>
>>44864025
Good to hear! Didnt get a request, unless you're the guy who sent one last night. You can also add my steam, Scapist, avatar is Spider Jerusalem. Heading out for a bit, so wont be able to accept contacts/talk until I get back
>>
>>44864095
https://join.skype.com/DapbZd58w2PH
not sure if this works, give it a try
>>
>>44863986
It was fucking crazy
>>
>>44863986
Classic Applegate, man!
>>
>>44864254
>>44864175
And it's not like they had the ability to transform into worms, either, the worms had the ability to turn into them after they were eaten. Everyone with worm powers was a worm-run emulation.
>>
>>44863986
>>44864175
>>44864302
I'm really confused here, explain it like I haven't read the books.
>>
>>44863251
Cassie was just a massive hypocrite. Go back and look at the shit she does. Any time there's a horrifying plan, she's the one who thinks of it.

David? Her idea.
Disabled kids who morph? Her idea.

And then there's her wolf morph for combat with such an intimate killing method.
>>
I remember reading most of these and liking them but I think the best Applegate series was the Everworld or whatever it was called that had them go to the mythology world... and I missed the 2nd to last book from the end so the ending was super weird.
>>
>>44864391
>earth is about to get hit by an asteroid, we put together an ark from a space shuttle and send it out of the solar system
>ark gets picked up by crazy alien spaceship, one of the last crazy things they find are piles of worms
>worm piles eat someone, then learn to reconstitute themselves as that person memories included
>at one point a kid begs a worm person to let her eat him so he can have worm powers too
>>
>>44864537
"I don't want to get a battle-only morph, I hate killing!"
>>
>>44864634
>Applegate gives transformation fetish to kids via Animorphs
>Applegate gives vore/assimilation fetish to kids via this shit
She's worse than Disney.
>>
Elemist was here Aximili sucks
>>
>>44863251
>Tobias
>that's all
fucking kek
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.