[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of this game? Is it worth investing my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: swx01_sample.png (143 KB, 277x305) Image search: [Google]
swx01_sample.png
143 KB, 277x305
What does /tg/ think of this game?
Is it worth investing my spare time and money into?
>>
It's cheaper than a lot of similar games and is pretty fun.
>>
>>44842477
do you like the idea of WW2 space dogfighting in the Star Wars universe?
If so, yeah you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>44842748
That does sound pretty dope desu
>>
>>44842477

It's great.

Buy all of the ships.

I have, even though I have no one to play them with. My friends all died.
>>
>>44842477
i got the base set and pic related, played it twice so far (once before buying, with a friend's squad, and different units than i own) for several matches per session, and good times were had. as far as i can tell the units seem to be balanced between survivability, firepower and maneuverability.
point values are there for extra shit like special pilots, different equipment and whatnot, since the base cost for regular models are roughly in the same ballpark correct me if im wrong thou - as i said, im also kinda new to this game
>>
File: SWX29-box-left.png (380 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
SWX29-box-left.png
380 KB, 500x415
>>44844896
>pic related
im a retard, sorry
>>
>>44845036
I will say for anyone looking to get one that the A-wing really needs what's in the Rebel Aces box to stay competitive.
And on a similar note, the Tie Advanced really needs what's in the Raider Class Corvette box to be competitive.

They're not complete shit, but they're both noticeably worse than similarly costed ships without the later fixes.
>>
>>44842477
Really fun and the rules are surprisingly simple.
The only problem is that your wallet will be raped.
>>
It's pretty fun if you stick to a limited subset up it, but it's got a pretty bad case of feature creep with a lot of the new stuff.
>>
>>44845465
Yeah but the beauty of it is the feature creep also makes the old stuff more competitive, tenner-twenty every couple of weeks isn't that much of an investment even if you are a poorfag
>>
>>44845274
but cant you just print that shit out? i mean, its just a bunch of cards, wich one can work around withvery little effort, unlike the minis (wich i guess could also be proxied...)
>>
>>44842477
I have The Force Awakens Core Set, and played like 3 games so far.
It's my first miniature game and I like it but you will feel the need of buying more very soon. Roght now I'm thinking about second core set and then aces for rebellion and empire. Only problem is that you have to find a 90x90cm space to play - it's pretty problematic when you can't just play your shit on the floor
>>
>>44845577
Sure. They're not even particularly hard to find online.
But it's proxying, which might not be allowed at certain venues.
>>
>>44845791
huh. i always thought proxying meant to use the wrong mini to represent your unit, in a "counts as __" kind of way.

the more you know, i guess.

>certain venues
good thing i mostly play /tg/ stuff with friends, in a private/casual setting then.
>>
Unless you're playing with the bigger ships, you really don't need the full space. Most games I've played most of the dog fighting has been in a space a bit over a foot across. Plus you'll often spend your first couple turns just flying towards each other on a proper sized table.
>>
>>44845513

It'd be great if the cards to fix the old stuff didn't only come in the big assed box kits.
>>
>>44845577

Yeah but you can easily buy the card singles cheap via ebay... or just buy the minis. They're really not that expensive. A typical 100 point game is usually only about 4 ships or so.

As for proxies and 3d printing, I do that a lot but ONLY for minis not available from FFG for X-wing. For tournaments you only want official minis. Really it's so cheap that shapeways is the more expensive option anyway. This isn't GW-- buying official minis is a pleasure and helps support the company and isn't that much of a $$$ suck
>>
>>44844838
Train explosion?
>>
>>44846164
you seem to have misread my post, and what it was referring to.
we were talking about upgrade cards and the ability to print them if you dont have them. i fucking love the minis and i do plan to spend my money on them, but im not willing to buy EVERYTHING [spoilers]yet[/spoilers] just to get the right upgrade from some overpriced giant monstrosity that i wont be able to play anytime soon due to point values.

and then i also mentioned proxying minis, so i guess thats where the confusion stems from...
>>
>>44842477
It's a fun dogfighting game that suffers from ship creep, which is managable until you start getting people that only fly the min maxed netlists.

The game was very strong at my FLGS, until one player constantly ran the meta list for every match, all the time and he was always there to play. Pretty much scared the other players away.
>>
File: page_xwing-in-play.jpg (148 KB, 1200x896) Image search: [Google]
page_xwing-in-play.jpg
148 KB, 1200x896
>>44842477
This could be you anon
>>
Dude, it's fun, my kids even play it. Shit is cheesy easy, and great kitchen table. Never have or ever will play competitive, I just play for good times.
>>
they're relatively expensive but good. It's one of the few flight games I can honestly say I'd play again
>>
Is armada good? Is it just the same thing as xwing but on a larger scale?
>>
>>44842477
It’s really fun but I don’t have anywhere to play it so I’m honestly considering selling my stuff. If you have someone that would like to play with you it’s probably great, hell I think even the tournament level stuff is well supported.
>>
>>44848633
it's different. Might look similar but the rules are a lot more indepth and it's a slower, more tactical game than x-wing.
>>
>>44846557
Am I the only one who thinks that this still looks fun as fuck? Just missing the addition of shots for every downed ship.
>>
>>44848633
I'd be interested in trying it if the base set weren't so goddamn expensive.
>>
Do you..
>like Star Wars
>like the gameplay
>like the miniatures
>have a community to play with
>havethe means to afford the miniatures
>have time to play?

If enough of these apply to you, dive in! It's rules are very, very easy to pick up and learn.
>>
>>44842477
Having played four other war games, X-Wing is literally my favorite. Simple enough to hop into, not a huge money sink, and you don't have to paint a damn thing.

Downside - tokens. Tokens everywhere. My box for tokens and game props is bigger than my box for minis.
>>
>>44845577
Yeah it's very easy, FFG even provides really nice photos of all their cards on their website so they're easy to print.

Just realize that "official" events don't allow them, but you're not going to run into that unless its a TFG or a really high level tourney.

Usually.

Just mention to your opponent "Hey, I'm new, I printed the cards off so I can show you the rules I'm using until I can get the ships/cards I need"

99.9% of the time the opponent will not care in the slightest, and as long as you're not a complete moron, people will even loan you cards for a tourney.
>>
>>44850058
I wish the base had slots for tokens.

What token do you guys use for *action stuff that isn't focus, targert lock or evade?
>>
File: 1451117396540.jpg (59 KB, 404x480) Image search: [Google]
1451117396540.jpg
59 KB, 404x480
>>44842477
You should pick up the new force awakens box first imo it comes with the updated rules since they have had lots of expansions since you pic related box, I would still defintely get pic related too though!
>>
>>44842477
Youll want the force awakens starter for a few reasons

1. It comes with a new, far more fair damage deck

2. It comes with Poe, the destroyer of anuses.

3. It comes with updated, streamlined, and FAQ'd versions of the rules, as well as a guide for referencing stuff quickly

Then pick up the original starter too. It comes with Luke and R2D2, as well as a couple normal TIEs which are excellent additions to any imperial force.

From there, it really boils down to what you want to play, but the Ace boxes are great additions to their respective sides, especially the Rebel one.
>>
>>44846209

They legalized gay marriage where he lives. Now everyone is dead.
>>
>>44842477
If you want to get into a tabletop game that isn't roleplaying or made by Milton Bradley, then it's the best possible one.

Fairly basic, low entry cost, lots of options, healthy and growing community.
>>
File: 1443419069019.jpg (136 KB, 1100x747) Image search: [Google]
1443419069019.jpg
136 KB, 1100x747
>>44842477
For once, 1d4chan has its shit together and made the best guide to the game on the internet.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

Its missing the last three ships that got released tho.
>>
>>44853895
yeah, this is actually pretty conprehensive
>>
How does this game translate to VTT? Good, bad?
>>
>>44842748
actualy the ruleset was made for WW1 but what ever. look up the history WW2 came later. pretty sure this game is about to get overtaken by GW version of it.. lewl but im going to keep things 28mm myself
>>
is there difference between the Original core set and the Force Awakens set?
>>
>>44852602
>being this poor
>>
>>44848958
Yes- each turn would take an hour and be really dull
>>
>it's cheap guys!
>£25 for the starter is neat, but then £15 for a single pre-painted TIE fighter

wut
>>
>>44855882

Pilot cards and upgrades.
>>
>>44846557
no thank you. This is way too much. Nigga went full clown shoes. maybe if you played as a team, and had each player moving a ship, like all the rebel players move one ship then all the imperial players move one ship, could make for an interesting game I guess.
>>
>>44856094
Wow I guess you britbux people really get screwed. I can get the single ship expansions for $10.
Anyway, yeah each ship is pretty pricey but you don't need many. Even a TIE swarm will be like max 8 ships, so it's plenty cheaper than other wargames.
>>
>>44856094
you can them quite easily for a tenner. It's RELATIVELY cheap when compared to some other wargames/board games.
>>
I don't know anything about the rules but does it account for a depth "z" plane or is it just top down 2d combat? its really of putting to think of space combat without the 3rd dimension but I'm curious to know. Also I suspect like the films the space craft fly as if in an atmosphere.
>>
>>44858047
It's 2d.
>>
>>44855505
>Implying GW has a Stronger IP than SW, Better rules or minis than this.
Yeah nah old GW could, the modern one? Nope.
>>
>>44858047
Yeah, its 2D. The closest to representing 3D I've seen is DnD Attack Wing (usrs the same rules mostly) using ground and air levels. And yeah, they move in atmosphere, its a reskin of an old WWII dogfighting game.
>>
>>44855882
Slightly different ships. New rulebook has all the rules added later. New damage deck is tourney standard. Different pilots and upgrades.
>>
>>44856094
The low model count of most lists makes it cheap.
Literally, the maximum number of ships you can have in a 100 point game is 8. Most lists only fly 3-4 ships, with some only flying 2.
>>
>>44856094
High individual model cost is counterbalanced by the low number of models you need to play the game.
>>
I'm building a rebel squadron. I purchased the Core Set and a K-wing because I thought it looked cool.

Where is a good place to start from here?
>>
>>44861993
Buy the other core set of the game. I dunno if you have the force unleased or the original, but you want both
>>
>>44861993
Well the K-wing can have fun dropping bombs on things and shooting anything else with its turret.

In general X-wing is quite forgiving of fluffy lists and because of the standard point limit you only need 3-5 ships for most rebel lists. Did you have any ideas of what you would enjoy next?
>>
>>44862370

Not sure, since I haven't even played with teh K-wing yet. I'm thinking of grabbing Y-wings since they were a favorite of mine as a kid, and can double in Scum and Villany lists.
>>
>>44862434
Well you got two turrets with the K-wing, if you buy a normal Y-wing and the Most Wanted box you can make an annoying as hell bomb/turret list if you so feel like it with three turreted bombers. Alternatively you can use the Y-wing title that comes in Most Wanted to lock the turrets forward and let you shoot both the turret and primary weapon together. That also gives you four ships you can use for S&V right away.
>>
>>44845274
The "charge for patch" model adopted by FFG is total horseshit.

Not only is the Raider ridiculously expensive considering there's zero Epic support, but all the new patches are one per box.

Extra Munitions? (The supposed ordinance fix) 1 per K-wing or TIE Punisher.
Integrated Astromech? 1 per T-70.
Guidance Chips? (Actual ordinance fix) 1 per TIE Prototype.
I'm amazed that Adaptability is getting two copies in Mist Hunter. Maybe they think the Mist Hunter sucks and won't get any sales unless something Autothrusters tier is included.
>>
>>44858683
Actually they bitched out and are letting people choose which damage deck to use in tournaments.

So people playing generic pilots without upgrades can still ignore half of the critical damage effects.
>>
>>44864647
>bitched out

Well its not like its even remotely fair to force people to use a deck they don't have if they have no interest in TFA stuff.

>>44864568
Its only a problem if you do tournaments anyway, nobody who would object to proxying cards in regular games is worth playing with.
>>
>>44846557
>two millennium falcons

man, that's really got my bottom bothered.
>>
>>44866337

It's the same model of ship, basically. You can't have two millennium falcons, but someone else may use a Corellian YT-1300.
>>
>>44855505
>pretty sure this game is about to get overtaken by GW version of it

Cute delusions.
>>
>>44846557
>no asteroids
>ties still out of formation
3/10
>>
>>44858512
Sure, Star Wars may have a stronger IP, better balance and better models that you can take out of the box and be playing within a few minutes.

But does X-wing have a bunch of rules where you can make goats sounds or talk to an invisible horse for free re-rolls? I think not.

GW = 1
SW = 0
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.