[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Novice Adventurer Quest 1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
Your name is Kline Bueller, and you are currently cleaning out the back room of the Drunken Sparrow. You wanted to make something of yourself in the big city and your goal was to get out of the shadow of your elder sister, Kaire, who was one of the S-ranked adventurers. It was surprising, considering you and your sister lived in a rustic, far-off village. But unfortunately, it wasn't easy to get to the top with your average skills. You still had a ways to go before you could consider yourself a proper adventurer.

"Old man, I'm finished," You call out as exit the back room, all tired and sore from moving boxes and sweeping dust around. "Everything's in order." You wonder if this was punishment for being too ambitious about being strong.

"Ah, very good, young man. I'll inform your guildmaster that you helped me." The bartender smiles at you as he puts up a cleaned glass upon the shelf. "Do you want a drink of water, before you go?"

"No, no thanks. I'll be going now. I got something important to do." You shake your head.

"Well then, take care." The bartender waves goodbye at you, before he goes back to cleaning his glasses.

(cont)
>>
>>44830524
You walk out of the tavern and make your way through the streets of the town of Grandale, where the Five Blades guild were located at. The town itself was a nice place to live, full of good people, but the guild itself... was another story. It was composed of your usual rowdy troublemakers. The guildmaster, Lora, took great pleasure in humiliating you as you were given what were basically chores. It was hard to even get one of the good quests because your seinors quickly ripped them off the quest board before you even had a chance to look at them. You cursed yourself for being so short.

The loud and rambunctious cheers of your fellow guild members greet your ears as you enter the hall and see two brawny men arm-wrestle each other. Typical as ever. However, you had no time for this nonsense right now, you had a very important topic to discuss with the boss. Said topic was about your promotion from a D-rank Rogue to a C-rank. Question was, how would you approach her with this?

> Be polite to her.
> Give her a piece of your mind.
> Just tell her what you want.
>>
>>44830533
Flirt with her. Maybe she's impressed by our new promotion. We might score.
>>
>>44830533
>Give her a piece of your mind.
>>44830562
Uhm, anon, she's our boss. We're trying to convince her TO promote us. I know reading comprehension is tricky, but that was obvious from the text.
>>
>>44830647
Flirting still seems like the best option. We're charismatic, obviously. We can do it.

Bang her, then get the promotion. It's a double score.
>>
Voting time renewed.
>>
>>44830533
> Just tell her what you want.
>>
>>44830690
>We're charismatic
Where the fuck do you get that idea from?
>obviously
Oh, right, you're just making shit up and claiming it's "obvious" so you look less stupid.
>>
>>44830690
>Hey baby, how about I give you my D? You can give me a bit of C for it.
>>
>>44830533
>> Just tell her what you want.
>>
>>44830533
>Just tell her what you want
>>
>>44830718
We're obviously charismatic because we're outspoken and firmly believe that we have a chance with her. Uncharismatic slobs wouldn't be this confident.
>>
>>44830717
>>44830739
>>44830753
>>44830753
4 for telling her what you want

>>44830647
One for giving her a piece of your mind.

Writing!
>>
>>44830533
> we're instantly a rogue
> not a generalist adventurer with opportunities to grow into a class

this does not a quest make
>>
>>44830533
You knock on the door to the guildmaster's office, steeling yourself. You've done the required 'quests' she's given you; she's just got to give you your big break.

"Who is it?" A woman's voice growled out.

"It's Bueller, ma'am. I'm here to talk about something." You state.

"Oh, it's you. Come in, boy, and let's hear it."

You open the door to see a mature raven-haired woman clad in armor with green eyes. "What do you want, brat, I'm a busy woman. I don't have time to listen to your complaints."

"Mistress Lora...I've done the quests that you gave me now. Can I have my promotion?" You ask earnestly.

Lora stares at you for a few minutes before letting out a snort. "You know what? Here, brat. Take the damn thing." She tosses you a bronze emblem, which you catch. "Anything else you want or what?"

> Ask if she needs some help.
> Ask her questions about the guild
> Ask her for training lessons.

>>44831017
Yeah, I screwed that up. I didn't mean to add that. Sorry.
>>
>>44831125
>> Ask if she needs some help.
And, after that, if there's still time left in the day:

All's good, QM. I just didn't want us to be pigeonholed into a role and have expectations arise around it.
>>
>>44831125
>>
Few more minutes to put votes in before writing.
>>
>>44831125
>> Ask if she needs some help.
>>
>>44831125
>Ask her questions about the guild
>>
>>44831125
>Ask if she needs some help.
>>
>>44831125

"Can I help you in any way?" You ask Lora, looking at her desk, which was a complete mess. Papers strewn about, bottles of alcohol sitting around. It seems Lora didn't know the word cleanliness.

"If you really want to help me, then stop being a useless brat and help us get a reputation." She crosses her arms, the look on her face is saying you're annoying her.

"Now beat it before I change my mind and demote you." You quickly nod and leave the mistress to her work. You did not want to be on her bad side. You remember seeing Herschel, one of the senior guild members sporting a black eye and a broken nose when he decided to insult Lora to her face.

You descend the stairs to see the guild members from earlier have left, save for a few who were sitting at the tables, drinking in peace.

It was rare to get peace and quiet around here, so it was nice to be alone with your thoughts. You walk towards one of the tables and sit down, looking at your emblem. You've done it. You were one step to becoming an adventurer.
What to do now?

>Talk to someone
>Go out and look around the town
>Check out the quest board.
>>
>>44831776
>>Check out the quest board.
Might as well. What sort of gear do we have on us right now, QM?
>>
>>44831776
>>
>>44831776
>>
>>44831800
1 iron sword
1 iron shield
Leather armor
2 healing potions

>>44831776
You head towards the board and spot something. "...Collecting rat tails for an experiment?" That didn't seem worthy of a C-rank's time. You look at another flier on the board, saying goblins are attacking the crop fields in a village not far from here.

"Goblins, huh? Sounds fun. Can't wait to beat them up." You grin, ready to grab the flier and head on over to the registration desk, and...

"Hey, Kline!" You turn around and see Evelyn, a C-rank mage with blue hair running towards you. "Congratulations! I heard you got promoted!"

"It wasn't easy. I had to struggle with the most daunting tasks ever known to man."

"Pulling out weeds doesn't sound daunting, Kline." Evelyn giggles. She's obviously making fun of your feats to obtain your new rank.

"Have you ever been to the Groggy Frogl's basement and seen their mice-sized roaches, then? Trust me, I should know." You huff.

Evelyn let out a laugh, then sees the flier near you. "Hey, are you going to do that goblin quest?" She asks.

"Yeah, I am. Why?" You look at her.

"Do you need some help?" Evelyn puts her hands on her hips. "Or can the great roach-slayer handle this himself?"

>...Fine, you can come.
> I can handle this!
>>
>>44832127
>I'd love the company
Let's not play coy
>>
>>44832127
>...Fine, you can come.

Besides, she sounds hot. Might be able to crush that puss.
>>
>>44832127
>>44832142
This. Plus, she's a mage. There's no reason to not bring her.
>>
>>44832160
>Might be able to crush that puss
Not yet, friend. Like the hunter, we must study our prey, and only when it is vulnerable and open to attack do we strike, and pound that booty like a drum of war
>>
>>44832142
>>44832170
Thirding, just because we tease doesn't mean we're blind to the benefit of cooperation
>>
>>44832127
You put a hand under your chin, thinking to what your father said to you. A warrior alone is strong, but a warrior with allies is stronger. "Ok, Eve, you can help out. I'm feeling generous today." You nod at the mage.

"Great. Just grab the flier and meet me at the desk." She then heads towards the desk over to the far left. You grab the flier and follow after her.

After getting authorization for the quest, you and Evelyn leave the guild and head for the town gate. "Do you have everything you need?" She asks you.

"Yes, mom." You sigh as you walk towards the gate. The soldiers give you a nod as they let you through after the two of you flash your emblems at them.

Within an hour, you arrive at the village. You look at the crowd of villagers surrounding a crop field. "Looks like the goblins struck again," you look at Evelyn, who nods.

"Damn buggers!"

"Green-skinned pests!"

"Worse then rats!"

Evelyn sighs. "I think we should look for the chief and ask him about the situation."

What do you do?

>Find the chief yourself.
>Ask a villager where the chief is.
>>
>>44832365
>>Ask a villager where the chief is.
>>
>>44832365
>>
>>44832365
>>
>>44832365
No time for wanderin, we gotta go
>>
>>44832365
"Um, excuse me, sir?" You tap a bearded old man on the shoulder. He turns around and looks at you and Evelyn with a frustrated look.

"What is it, sonny? Can't you see we've got problems? Damn goblins running amuck in our fields again, tearing shit up and doing gods-know what..."

"Don't worry, sir, we're here to help. We're from the guild." Evelyn assures him, pulling out her emblem to show him. "Do you know where the chief is?"

"Know him?! I am him! Thank the gods almighty! Our prayer has been answered! Everyone! Everyone, turn around and look! The guild finally answered us!" The chief shouts. The villagers then surround you and bombard you two with various pleas, most of them about killing off the goblins.

"Everyone, please!" you shout. "There's no need to panic! We've got the goblin situation under control. Now, if any of you know have any info on where their nest is located, tell us."

The villagers then grow quiet, murmuring to each other. You assume by their looks on their faces that they have no idea.

"Well, this is getting us nowhere." Evelyn sighs, brushing a strand from her forehead. She then heads towards the field and looks at the footprints. "Hmmm... Let me see..." She holds up her staff and begins to chant some words, a ball of light appearing in front of her.

You've always loved seeing magic in action, just like the time when Evelyn used her levitating spell to bring some books down from a library shelf.

The ball of light flashes brightly as it flies off to the north. "I found where our little green friends are hiding." Evelyn states, wiping her brow. "Let's get going."

"Give those little bug-eyed bastards hell!" The chief shouts after both of you.

The two of you quickly head towards the whereabouts of the goblin's lair and stop at the entrance of a cave. "This must be it. The locator spell stops here." Evelyn looks at you. "So, how do you want to do this?"

>Flush them out with magic
>Go straight in
>Stealth our way in.
>>
>>44832678
>>Flush them out with magic
>>
>>44832678

I wish there is a choice to setup a trap beforehand but whatever
>>
>>44832678
Use our shield to protect the both of us while she launches a volley to surprise and soften them up. Anybody left we can cut down ourselves
>>
>>44832678
>>
>>44832678
"Let's flush out some vermin with some magical firepower." you grin, readying your sword and shield. "I got your back, Eve."

Evelyn nods, and begins to chant a spell as she points her staff at the entrance, a ball of fire appearing at the tip.

You clench your teeth as you tense up. It was now or never. "Fire!" You shout at the mage, who complies by blasting fireball after fireball into the cave.

Soon enough, you hear wailing and screeching as the goblins run out of the cave, pissed off and on fire. One of them leaps at you, but you quickly cut it down and it falls in front of you, dead.

Evelyn is busy casting lightning spells on the flaming goblins, zapping them. Sweat runs down her forehead as she scans the area for more targets.

You're doing your part in helping her deal with any stray goblins she missed. Suddenly, you turn to see a goblin holding a dagger, about to stab Evelyn in the back.

You let out a yell, startling the goblin and Evelyn, and bash the beast with your shield, stunning it. Then you bring your sword down and run it through its chest, killing it.

Evelyn lets out a breath of relief as you remove your blade from the goblin corpse. "Thanks, Kline."

"I told you I got your back." You smile at her. Evelyn frowns at you and punches you in the shoulder. "Ow...!"

"That was for making a bad pun," She huffs, then wipes the sweat from her brow. "But I'll forgive you this time."

What do you do now?

>Head inside the cave and search around.
>Go tell the villagers their goblin problems are over.
>>
>>44832905
>>
>>44832905
>>Head inside the cave and search around.
>>
>>44832905
>>
File: scruffy_second.png (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
scruffy_second.png
48 KB, 640x480
>>44832926
Seconded.

Let's look for treasure!
>>
>>44832905

A good adventurer never leave any stone unturned.
>>
>>44832905
Tell Evelynn to stay out here, unless she has a dull gag reflex
>>
>>44832905
"So, wanna go look around and see anything else they stole?" You ask Evelyn.

"Lead the way," The mage nods and the two of you go inside the cave. With Evelyn's fire spell lighting the darkness, the trail stops at a chamber filled with the stolen veggies and a pile of armor and weapons.

"Hot damn," your grin becomes really wide as you pick up the armor, which happens to be an iron armor. "Lucky me." You also pick up a rusty knife, which you chuck away. "Meh."

"Are you done playing dress up?" Evelyn frowns at you. "We should go back and tell the villagers about this."

"Yeah, yeah." You really didn't like it when she was in mother mode, technically, you were a year older than her.

Soon, you arrive at the village, where the chief welcomes you back. "So, how did it go? Did you get them? Huh?"

"Yes, sir. They're all dead. Your crops are safe now." Evelyn nods.

"I knew it! I knew the guild would come through for us!" The chief laughs. "Now, for your reward..."

"You don't really have to give us a reward, sir." Evelyn protests, but she is interrupted by the chief giving you and her two small bags of gold.

"For our heroes, I insist." The chief grins. "You deserve it for saving our harvest this year."

"Well, gee, pops, thanks." You could feel a blush appear on your face as you scratch your head. "We've ought to head back to town now."

"Goodbye, kids! Don't be a stranger in these parts!" The chief hollers after you both.

Later, after you and Evelyn reach the town and enter the guild hall, she stops and turns to you. "Well, that was fun. I've got to run and catch up on my magic studies. Don't hesitate to ask for help!"

"I won't," You nod. "I'll be become strong enough to cut down an army of goblins!"

"We'll see!" Evelyn then heads off to the women's barracks.

You let out a sigh as you stretch out your arms. Today was an exciting day, getting promoted, fighting goblins, and getting a new piece of armor. You are on your way to be a great adventurer.
>>
>>44830647
We need to sleep with the boss at some point.
>>
End of Part 1.

Well, that was fun. Thank you for following my quest. I may or may not continue doing this, we'll see.
>>
>>44833215
She won't get in the sack until we slay something substantial for the glory of the guild. Let's aim for a Basilisk, then come back and put the offer on the table
>>
>>44831017
There's literally nothing wrong with having a pre-determined protagonist. In fact it wipes away a lot of headache with chargen and narrows down subsequent characterisation.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.