[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>HHG FAQ - http://pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8 >Official HH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: 1452823701650.jpg (501 KB, 813x543) Image search: [Google]
1452823701650.jpg
501 KB, 813x543
>HHG FAQ - http://pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>HHG RULES
>- https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
>- http://www.mediafire.com/download/deadtdf0y47k59k/The+Horus+Heresy+Legiones+Astartes+Isstvan+Campaign.pdf
>- https://kat.cr/usearch/%22Forge%20World%22%20heresy%20user:epistolary/

>Xenos in 30K Homebrew - https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Xenos_in_30k

>HH Black Library
>- https://mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg

Anyone try the core missions out of book 5? Or Strategic Raids/City Fights? They look fun but the Onsalught one seems like AL and RG could abuse the hell out of it.

The additional deployment types add some variety too.
>>
>>44807938
I only play the core AoD missions with my group. Maelstrom of War was fun a couple times then just became too random. Planning on doing a Conquest campaign soon so we might do the raid missions.
>>
What would everyone say is the ideal amount of points in an AoD game? I've got one list at 2500 and one at 3000, but I'm curious as to what others think.
>>
>>44808266
~2,500
>>
>>44808266
My group and I stick to 3k nowadays for our standard games.
>>
Do people take fortifications in 30k? I haven't seen much in the way of lists that make any use of fortifications.
>>
>>44808664
I play Iron Warriors and with Kyr Vhalen an imperial bunker is pretty much an auto include. I was thinking of picking up a Castellum Stronghold eventually but I got way to much other stuff to paint at the moment.
>>
So, concerning Daemons in AoD primary detachment, am I correct in presuming that 4 heralds per HQ slot rule is active?
There's nothing making it illegal, but it seems too powerful on paper.
>>
>>44809839
It's active, but if you read the rule carefully, you can only do it once per primary detachment. After that, each herald takes a full HQ slot (and always does for allied detachments).
>>
Is there still no scan of the Taghmata army book?
>>
That Death Guard list faggot again. I think I've finally made a well rounded, points cost effective army list with just the right combination of Fluff and Fun. Check it.

Death Guard 4k

Rite of War: The Reaping

HQ
Calas Typhon 200pts

Deathshroud Terminators 420pts
- 4 models
- Land Raider Phobos

ELITES
Apothecarion Detachment 180pts
- 3 Apothecaries
- Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon 390pts
- 2 Dreadnoughts
- Dread 1: Kheres Assault Cannon, DCCW w/Heavy Flamer with Chem Munitions
- Dread 2: Multimelta, DCCW w/Graviton Gun

TROOPS
Tactical Squad 335pts
- 20 models
- Additional CCW
- Sergeant: Power Fist, Combi-Flamer w/chem munitions, Rad Grenades, Artificer Armour

Tactical Squad 335pts
- 20 models
- Additional CCW
- Sergeant: Power Fist, Combi-Flamer w/chem munitions, Rad Grenades, Artificer Armour

Heavy Support Squad 350pts
- 10 models
- Missile Launchers
- Flakk Grenades
- Sergeant: Augury Scanner, Rad Grenades

Veteran Tactical Squad 270pts
- 10 models
- 2 Meltaguns
- Sergeant: Thunder Hammer, Combi-melta, Rad grenades

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought 305pts
- Siege Drill with built in Melta
- Armoured Ceremite
- Phosphex Discharger
- Grav-flux Bombard

Deredeo Dreadnought 185pts

Grave Warden Terminators 700pts
- 10 Models
- 2 Chainfists
- 2 Heavy Flamers with Chem Munitions
- Spartan Assault Tank

LORDS OF WAR
Mortarion 425pts
>>
>>44811978
I'm considering using Dark Brethren ROW for PE loyalists and Daemon bros, however what would be the best use of my one HS slot a Sicaran, Spartan with Gal Vorbak or a Fire Raptor?
>>
>>44812113
Whoops, didn't mean to quote you
>>
>>44811971
No scan. Photo version on KAT.
>>
>>44812113
Depends what the rest of your army is really.
>>
Hello, 30k noob here. I know you hate BaC for bringing in scrubs but I have a question about BaC itself (having just gotten it, at work so can't read the rules). Is there anything stopping me from splitting up the Loyalist/Heretics into different groups (say, give the terminators to the Word Bearers or switch the leaders around) for purposes of playing the board game itself?
>>
Can one repair a building using Battlesmith?
>>
>>44813623
read the rules
>>
>new to 30k
>want to get some locutarus storm squads
>power weapons only come in those silly bundles
wew lads
>>
>>44813795
just use the 40k power weapons, the only ones that look different are power axes and lightning claws
>>
>>44813879
Oh yeah fucking hell.
>>
I am looking for an alternative model for a lightning fighter for my raven guard. I though of a few planes but the models are too realistic and not enough 30k. Any idea?
>>
Any idea when or if traitor forces will be able to take chaos marks or wargear? I was reading the fluff in Massacre and the taint of chaos is already evident in SoH, EC, and WB legions. I just wonder when we will get options for it mechanically in legions other than WB. Any thoughts?
>>
>>44816377
Maybe once they start introducing Daemon Primarch rules but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 720x540
>>44815088
This was kitbashed from a Valkyrie conversion kit.
>>
>>44815088
Dark Angels Nephilim/Dark Talon. It comes with a TL lascannon on the nose and 3 missiles per wing.
>>
>>44815088
>>44816640
>>44816680
Speaking of Lightning, should one try and keep them cheap or pour all you got into them for maximum punch.

I'm looking at one with full compliment of penetrator missiles, battle servitor and auguries (235pts.) Six S8 AP1 Armourbane missile with BS5 and Tank Hunter should do the trick against ceramite and flare shield land raiders and their ilk, right?
>>
How well does the Legion autocannon set work on Cataphractii terminators? I'd like to use Fulmentarus Terminators but the damn Cataphractii special/heavy weapons set comes with a bunch of shit I don't need and only 1 autocannon.
>>
>>44808664
I play IF and Macrotek-focused Mechanicum, so I use the Wall of martyrs imperial defence line, with battle cannon batteries, other stuff and fill it with bolter bodies or slaves (allied militia)
>>
>>44816839
They would look tiny as fuck on terminators.
>>
>>44816809
Depends how tank heavy your meta is.
>>
>>44817067
What a fucking pain, WHERE'S ME FUCKING BITZ FORGEWORLD.
>>
For the BaC box set, what 'edition' is the armour of the Tacticals?
Don't want to buy to many offsets of weapons and upgrade sets.
>>
>>44817442
There all in mark 4 which fits traitors a lot more than loyalists
>>
>>44817442
Do you mean what mark they are?
>>
>>44816809

I feel 4 missiles is the max, you're going in, shooting 4 missiles (max per turn) and going to get shoot down anyway.

I go with strafing run, tank hunter and 4 kraken.
>>
>>44816680

I saw a conversion for a nightlord army, it was very nice but I don't know if I can pull it off.
>>
>>44817465
Thanks
>>44817484
Yes, that is what I meant.
>>
At what point level would you play against non-cheesy 40k lists? Most of the guys at my store do 40k at the moment so I'm making the switch to 30k by my lonesome...
>>
>>44818330
if it was a non-cheesy list I wouldn't mind playing at any points level.
>>
Gal Vorbak:
How to use?
1) Should I buy 5 and put in a Spartan with a combat character?
2) Deep Strike 10?
How would you arm a unit of 5, and 10?
Obviously run Power Mauls, but should the Dark Martyr pack a Power Fist for S10 or a pair of Lightning Claws?
Leaning more towards 5 in Spartan, 1x Maul and Martyr with Power Fist with accompanying Chaplain.
>>
>>44818969
Put them in a spartan, if you deepstrike them there just going to get shot out before they get the charge on, also Gal Vorbak are literal Daemons which means they can't be joined by non Daemon characters
>>
>>44819127
how does that work anon? I have a guy I play who always runs his HQ with them and its gay so showing him is not allowed would make my day
>>
>>44819196
>>44819127
He's wrong if you have the Daemonic instability rule you can't be joined by non-daemons but Gal Vorbak just have the Daemon rule
>>
>>44819127
Ok, that was my thought. So I will get more mileage out of 5+1 and Spartan than 10 normally?
>>44819248
Ok, that's what i thought too. Only Instability inhibits it, not basic Daemon.
>>
>>44813445
Only the saltiest of us hate BaC and new players by default; most of us are merely suspicious through experience, but to be honest the cure is worse than the disease sometimes.

The missions in the book have predetermined forces (except for weapon loadouts), you could modify them yourself but you'd have to "wing it" a little. However, it's not at all hard to do, the game is designed for it (it's expandable).
>>
>>44818969
105: Legion Centurion-Chaplain, Artificer Armour, Retractor Field
235 Gal Vorbak x5, Power Mace 1x, Martyr with Artificer Armour and Power Fist
340: Legion Spartan Assault Tank, Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield
All this for 680pts. Assuming you get the charge, it can take out most non-Primarchs and many other combat-stars assuming they don't have a named character.
>>
Gal Vorbak are under costed as fuck, fuck Gal Vorbak
>>
>>44815088
>>44816680
I support the dark talon. I did the same.
>>
>>44820426
Do you face often?
If so, what are they armed with? More trying to figure how the Marytr should be armed.
>>
>>44821377
Not that guy but lightning claws are popular in my meta.
>>
>>44821377
Fuck I hate word bearer players
>>
>>44821592
Ok, trying to figure out the 5pts extra over the Fist. S5 Rending Lightning Claws are quite scary.
>>44821728
Thank you brother!
>>
File: 30k quad mortar.jpg (8 KB, 286x176) Image search: [Google]
30k quad mortar.jpg
8 KB, 286x176
For Quad Mortar/Thudd Guns, I keep seeing people (and 1dChan) mention Shatter Shells (4 S8, re-roll armour pen). I don't see that. Was it added in a later book? Cause its not under Field Artillery Weapons, pg 239 of HHB1: Betrayal
>>
>>44822021
>HHB1: Betrayal
It's been obsoleted by the Crusade Army List book. Check there.
>>
What's the deal with the pauldrons and greaves on some marks of armour that are bumped for her pleasure?
>>
>>44817465
How so? I thought loyalists would have more Mk IV and traitors more Mk III and V. I wish BaC had some Mk III.
>>
>>44822104
I think they're rivets holding additional armor plating on.
>>
>>44821877
>trying to figure out the 5pts extra over the Fist
people don't usually target 2+ saves or high toughness units, they usually get thrown at large units where they simply get overwhelmed by 5 attacks on the charge.

>>44822104
they represent field repairs where they didn't have time to make a clean suit of armour so just bolted the whole thing together IIRC

>>44822138
Horus used his dark mechanicus connections to outfit the traitor legions with the best gear.
>>
>>44822138
>Who was in charge of Imperial military before the Heresy?
Horus.
>Who got decide where all the cool toys went?
Horus.
>Who started the civil war that would burn the galaxy to the ground?
Horus.
>Who got first access to the newest, best equipment?
Horus and his co-conspirators.

Horus set this shit up, man. He made sure that his forces were in the best position possible before launching the life eater, we're talking years of plotting and positioning.
>>
>>44822104
It came around late Crusade, especially with the Mk. V suits. Basically, to save in manufacturing and maintenance costs, they riveted the layers of the armour together. The left side pauldrons and greaves were the most common, because they'd be the ones facing the enemy and thus subject to most damage and repairs. Mk. V had plenty of studded armour. Mk. IV received studs through repairs. Mk. 6 has studs both for the same reason as the Mk. V as well as later, after the Heresy, as merely a decorative thing.
>>
>>44822104
They are called '"molecular bonding studs". Basically their purpose is to help attach extra layers of material to power armour, strengthening it against other legions weapons. It became much more prevalent as the heresy went on and supplies became scarcer to maintain standards of armour manufacture.
>>
>>44822274
Pretty sure the old fluff says Mk. V was most common among traitor legions than loyalists. Mk. IV wasn't exactly a new thing by the onset of the Heresy.
>>
>>44822074
Thanks on that! Helps alot.
>>
>>44822213
Great to know! S5 LClaws it is then!
So it's lots like 40k then, were its either volume or a specific thing (like Plasma)?
>>
>>44808266
Anything from 2000 to 3000 is fine, but if you wan to pick a single value probably 2500. That way everyone gets to bring out their cool stuff or expensive Lord of War without getting really crazy shit like Perturabo's Tormentor or the Warlord in a Leviathan detachment.
>>
>>44822178
>>44822213
>>44822295
>>44822333
Thanks!
>>
Gonna start reposing the BaC Contemptors tomorrow. I can't belive that they went with such a rigid pose.
>>
>>44822451
Yeah, Gal Vorbak are great at munching through 20 man tac squads or anything with a 3+ armour save.

10 GV for 2 base attacks each, three on the Martyr, +1 for x2 CCW, +1 for charging, +1 for rage gets you 51 S5 rending attacks on the charge, 16 of them at AP3 if you go for dual LCs on the martyr and power swords on two of the guys.
>>
>>44822582
What legion?
>>
>>44822374
Heresy Armor wasn't an actual mark, it's just a catch all for the cobbled together repairs Legions were forced into during the Heresy.
>>
Anyone have experience using phosphex? I was thinking about throwing in some artillery then saw the phosphex shell option. Is it worth the tax of a centurion to rain fire on my enemies?
>>
>>44822761
It's not worth it.
>>
>>44822761
you trade S10 for S5 and the ability to contaminate a bit of terrain. Not worth it at all.
>>
>>44822621
Space Wolves.
>>
>>44822917
You the guy posting the Space Wolves in the last few threads? They look pretty good, looking forward to seeing the repositioned dread.
>>
So are infiltrating Vet Tacticals with Sniper bolters and plasmas good?
>>
>>44822990
For Alpha Legion? Eh, I shy away from power armour when it only comes in units of 10. Too easy to get wiped out in one turn of shooting.
>>
>>44822990
Alpha Legion, eh? They're not terrible and can be pretty decent in the right situations. If you ever find yourself up against Mechanicum they're going to be invaluable. Beyond that the odds for getting a Precision Shot with your special weapons aren't spectacular, and they can always LoS! it off, but when you do happen to snipe their 2+ character tank with a plasma or melta shot it's gonna be damn satisfying.

If no one in your meta fields Mechanicum then they're not necessarily the best, but if they do - especially if they're fielding lots of Castellax - then wounding those T7 killing machines on a 4+ with bolters is very, very useful.

Since most of the people starting HH right now are doing it with the BaC box you can expect to see a lot of VetTacs one way or the other. It's good to know what they are and aren't capable of given that most of the armies you see are gonna be using them until they start to collect more dudes.
>>
>>44823091
>>44823190
Current meta is an imperial fist player that spams boarders and spartans and has a typhon. Then there's the night lords player that has battle of calth and two players starting iron hands and emperor's children.
>>
>>44823239
How many points are you planning on playing?
>>
>>44822715
there isn't one single mkv, mkv is a term for any types of armour that appeared during the heresy. There were complete sets, see the forgeworld mkv marines, who were developed allongside indomitus terminator armour during the heresy. There were lots of heresy armours produced by forgeworlds, in addition to the cobbled together armours.
>>
>>44823239
Well, sniper is going to be effective against both the Imperial Fists player (+1 toughness when he has his guys together) and the Iron Hands player (-1S to incoming shooting has no effect on sniper). Mass infiltration is always useful for missions with objectives, especially Maelstrom of War or AoD: Dominion which both feature progressive scoring.

The Spartans and Typhon are going to be a problem for naked infantry models and you're definitely going to want to get some Graviton in your list somewhere so that you can Haywire glance them to death.
>>
File: 40khobbyblog_rapier[1].jpg (141 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
40khobbyblog_rapier[1].jpg
141 KB, 1280x849
does anyone have the general dimensions for the legion rapier platform? I wanna scratchbuild/convert some
>>
>>44821728
Have faith brother, I'm sure this is just rumblings in the warp
>>
>>44822590
Thanks on wisdom.
I figured they were best at mulching semi-elite units or anything without mass Invuls.
Yeah, they can mulch lots, and thats not even adding in Rending either.
>>
>>44823263
2k to 3k points, proxying parts of my 40k marines as 30k marines where needed

>>44823341
I'm not sure where to get graviton from, my current 3k list has a fellblade, sicaran, and a vindicator with POTMS and a dreadnought for AT, that and everyone in my list has a melta-bomb/chainfist
>>
>>44822761
Most people say no, because it makes city-busting artillery into strictly anit-infantry weaponry (of which the legion lists already have heaps). S5 can't pen anything worth pen'ing, while S10 AP2 Ordnance is great against vehicles/fortifications and as good against infantry as Phosphex is anyway (better in many cases as it wounds easier between T5 and T8 and causes Instant Death).

However, there are some specialized cases where it's useful. Against some hordes (something more like cult lists than just large numbers of marines), being able to reposition the template can make them even more fearsome than regular ammo (anything under the blast is dead either way, but this allows you to hit more models especially if you're unlucky with your scatter rolls). Also, some lists (e.g. Death Guard with The Reaping) can place unholy amounts of difficult/dangerous terrain around to slow advances and channel enemy forces into deliberate firing lanes. But they're pretty advances tactics and won't always be viable depending upon the opponent, their army, and the terrain.

If it had the same S as regular Medusa shells (since you have to pay a HQ tax to get them, being a straight-up upgrade would be fair), or at least you could fire one or the other each turn instead of having to pick all or nothing at the start of the game, then it might see more use.

They may show up in specific campaign games where certain details of the battle are known ahead of time, but mostly anyone who takes them will be doing so for fluff reasons only.
>>
File: rapier dimensions.jpg (227 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
rapier dimensions.jpg
227 KB, 1280x849
>>44823429
That was measured of a quad rapier one.
>>
>>44823937
>or at least you could fire one or the other
It does definitely say "swap" or "exchange", right?

Having them as an option would make a lot more sense, and would be a lot better
>>
>>44823832
>I'm not sure where to get graviton from, my current 3k list has a fellblade, sicaran, and a vindicator with POTMS and a dreadnought for AT, that and everyone in my list has a melta-bomb/chainfist
Oh, I had the impression your army was just starting. Sounds like you've got plenty of solid anti-armor options.
>>
File: Barabas_Dantioch[1].jpg (48 KB, 450x534) Image search: [Google]
Barabas_Dantioch[1].jpg
48 KB, 450x534
>>44824072
thanks bruh. i appreciate this
>>
>>44824072
>>44824514
How many here have made their rapiers out of Kataphron Breacher treads? The idea has tempted me lately.
>>
>>44824596
No but I was really tempted to make a count-as techmarine on bike from one.
>>
Is it just me or are Word Bearers the best anti Daemon force in HH?
>>
>>44825173
Technically yes.
The Mhara Gal Tainted Dreadnought and their relic, the Conversion Dissonator, are great at hampering deamons.
>>
>>44825173
It's rather fitting given that they're the only legion that even know about much less understand daemons at this point in the timeline.
>>
I hate to be the asshole tonight who asks "book 6 when" but...
>>
>>44826703
February
>>
>>44826703
The next Horus Heresy Weekender is Feb 6 - 7, so we won't see any more until then. I'm hoping the Thanatar-Cynis gets a model, personally.
>>
>>44826769
>>44826771
Do you think it'll be released AT the Weekender? Sorry I'm new to all this, and I'm debating whether to wait til book 6 to 100% choose a Legion because Dark Angels were my first army way back in 3rd edition. Feel like I should give them a fair chance before I sell my soul to Sigismund and the Fists.
>>
>>44826871
Maaaaaybe? They'll probably have the books there to preview but I don't know if they'll have it available for purchase or not.
>>
>>44826871
>Do you think it'll be released AT the Weekender?

Yes, they'll sell limited copies at the weekender like they've done before and then sell it on their site a couple weeks later. I wouldnt be surprised to see a primarch also, we still need Alpharius and Dorn before they go into Propsero.
>>
>>44826925
Holy shit I can't believe I'm this excited about the resin/plastic version of Blizzcon. Thanks for letting me join this community. Also if Alpharius gets a badass model this decision will get so much fucking harder.
>>
>>44826871
>Only picking one legion
Why do you hate the Emperor anon?
>>
>>44827107
because being poor is suffering.
>>
>>44827751
I know that feel. I got into 40k when I was a broke ass college student. Can't imagine how much worse it would have been if I'd been trinyg to play 30k instead.
>>
>>44828053
Yeah someday I'll be able to afford Spartans and Sicarans, but for now I'm doing the high school student equivalent of having a used Honda Civic by just buying a Land Raider kit off eBay haha.
>>
>>44827020
Dont worry anon, Im excited too, "Build your own Knight-Errant/Marine Commando" and a new RoW is fucking awesome.
>>
>>44828272
To be honest even though I can afford the shit, I'm tempted to convert some Spartans from Land Raiders because
a)The Spartan kit might be the single worst thing I've ever bought from FW. it is an absolute motherfucker to assemble
b)A spartan really isn't that much bigger than a LR. Cut off the top track covers so you have exposed tracks all the way round, and lengthen the front of the hull with some plasticard so the assault ramp sticks out a bit more and you've got a perfectly acceptable Spartan IMO.
>>
>>44828383
"Build your own Knight-Errant/Marine Commando" please elaborate. I'm already at half mast just reading that.
>>
>>44828424
>The Spartan kit might be the single worst thing I've ever bought from FW. it is an absolute motherfucker to assemble

I have heard this from literally everyone who built it, what makes it so hard to assemble?
>>
>>44828431
According to the people that have gone to the open days this book will have rules for Knight Errants, Garro and another named character and then an entry to make your own Knight Errant.
>>
>>44828383
>and a new RoW is fucking awesome.
Which one the EC or the WB one, as someone who uses a bunch of Gal Vorbak I'm ready to bring my corrupted brethren
>>
>>44828608
Im excited for all of them, but personally I want to see what the Fists will get and also the new vanilla RoW.
>>
>>44828535
The tracks don't fit. They're around 1.5 links too long. They're also impossible to properly bend backinto shape.
The track space in the hull has xboxhuge chunks of flash in it that need to be fucking gouged out
The hullpieces are always bent, and never quite line up properly when straightened
The door slots are slightly the wrong size which means chopping down any legion specific doors you wanna fit
The quadlas sponsons are always FUBAR
The really annoying thing was at the same time I was building one of those I also did my first Sicaran which might be the single easiest FW thing I've ever built. With that the entire side pieces of the hull, including the tank tread, is cast as a single piece. Why the fuck they couldn't do that with the Spartan i'll never know
>>
>>44828920
Thanks for the encouragement. The Sicaran is the tank I'd actually want to buy from FW but the Sicaran is just so much better crunch-wise than a Land Raider...but then I remembered: I'm playing 30k not 40k and don't have to be a WAAC bro.
>>
>>44828920
>With that the entire side pieces of the hull, including the tank tread, is cast as a single piece. Why the fuck they couldn't do that with the Spartan i'll never know
That's how my Spartan came actually. They updated the model (but not the instructions) months ago.
>>
Hardest model I put together was my Fellblade, no instructions (because I bought from a cheap recaster from ebay) and so many gaps between parts. Took me a long ass time just filing the parts so they would fit together. I'm afraid if I drop the thing, it will be completely unusable.
>>
>>44816809
>>44817636
Yes, 4x missiles then TH and SR. Jink for a 3+ and then if you survive you still have a TLLC.

>>44822021
Shatter and Frag are listed in the wargear for rapier quad mortars in the summary in the back of the red book.

>>44822990
Go with double HBs

>>44822761
Only in city fight missions or against hordes

>>44824596
I actually picked up the puppets war equivalent. Much cheaper. They photos on the site dont do them justice either. They're pretty nice.

>>44828535
It's so much easier to get a bit of plasticard and make your own from a plastic raider.
>>
>>44829543
Of course they did that after I've bought as many as I need. Motherfuckers
>>
>>44829543
So is it still a bitch to build then, or did the changes actually improve it? I've been on the fence about building a mechanized Iron Hands list for ages and the pain in the ass that is the Spartan has been a big part of why I never bothered.
>>
Anyone have luck with large kits from all4wargames?
>>
File: Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg (792 KB, 873x876) Image search: [Google]
Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg
792 KB, 873x876
If I buy Betrayal at Calth, can I start a small Alpha Legion army out of it? How many points?

Also what would be good to add after that?
>>
>>44822982
Yeah.

It's gonna be the first time I use the hobby saw, so I'm not sure how it will turn out.
>>
File: mark-5.jpg (183 KB, 370x770) Image search: [Google]
mark-5.jpg
183 KB, 370x770
>>44822715
I'd love to see your sources, because the original article for the armours says that Mk. V was devised as a suit that used the components and technologies of previous suits in a new and more efficient way. It's not something they came up afterwards to note this bunch of suits here. It was a design that could be passed on to any techpriest who knew how to make power armour, and they'd be able to use the instructions to make the suits from parts and technologies they're already familiar with without needing that much new productions facilities, etc.
>>
>>44832822
no, you aren't allowed
>>
>>44830010
>then TH and SR

The what now?
>>
File: 1434024452667.jpg (13 KB, 249x213) Image search: [Google]
1434024452667.jpg
13 KB, 249x213
>>44833261
Oh-oh ok.
>>
Making an Imperial Fists army. Want a single squad of deep striking Terminators. Should I give them all bolters and power Fists with two chain Fists?
>>
>>44833261
Tank Hunter and Strafing Run
>>
>>44832822
You can, exactly what you get depends upon how you build it. Read the resources in the OP. In particular, find the Crusade Army List for general unit rules, and the Legiones Astartes Isstvan Campaign for Alpha Legion rules. The official FAQ adds a couple of units, one of which should definitely be considered for BaC forces.

For just one box, people typically build the marines as veterans rather than tactical marines, this allows them to take some special weapons and get generally better troops. Some other units are possible too, in particular Support Squads and Heavy Support Squads if you buy multiple BaC boxes or trade weapons with other people who bought one.

The minimum points total of everything in the box is 900, if you build it in the most points-efficient way possible and take no upgrades (Consul Delegatus, Centurion, Tactical Marines, Terminators, Contemptor). Getting more sensible units and upgrades easily lets you get to 1500 or even 2000.

The units in the box are:

1x Praetor/Centurion (Terminator)
1x Praetor/Centurion
1x Contemptor Dreadnought
5x Terminators/Command Squad (recommended: Terminator Squad)
30x Veterans/Command Squad/Tactical Marines/Assault Marines/Seekers (recommended: Veteran Tactical Marines, not recommended: Assault Marines)

If you take a Praetor with the Pride of the Legion Rite of War, Veteran squads and Terminator squads are Troops choices.
If you take a Centurion with Consult Delegatus and the Chosen Duty Rite of War, Veteran squads are Troops choices.

You could make the tactical marines into Alpha Legion-specific Headhunter Kill Teams, but you'd probably regret doing so (the Forge World ones look really nice and are due out any day now; and they're Fast Attack choices). You couldn't really make Alpha Legion-specific Lernaean Terminator Squads without at least shelling out for Volkite weapons for them (and Power Axes unless you want to upgrade every one to take Power Fists or Chainfists).
>>
>>44833755
Alright, thanks for the help!

>Alpha Legion-specific Headhunter Kill Teams
Is this unit any good?
>>
>>44834056
Yeah they're decent. The thing with them is they're so versatile and everything they're good at adds to their points cost. So their points inefficiency outweighs the versatility a little.
>>
>>44833440
Ah, yes.

Have to keep it in mind. I was gonna use the Nephilim as the basis of a conversion and it comes with 6 missiles in its banks, so I would have wanted to have 6 missiles on the flyer as well. Too bad there's not really any cheap missiles to pick for the last 2. Sunfury is the cheapest, but only 10pts. less than the Kraken. And they don't work very well with Jinking. There's always TL missile launcher for the last slot. Would give the lascannon some backup when making snap shots.

Have to toy around with some ideas.
>>
>>44813733
So they can then.
>>
>>44828383

If we're going whole hog on the rumors here, it was also discussed at the last event(s) that:

>the istvaan legions were getting a touch up (like the EC getting some sort of initiative bonus on charging or the SoH getting a WS buff in a despoiler configuration)
>all of the legions/the istvaan ones were getting new rites of war (EC getting the Kakophani one, the WB getting the Vorbak one, SoH getting MC on turn one)
>the re-release of the army list/legion rules will include new special rules, but no points adjustments, for units that are under performing

I'm hoping that the DG get rad grenades shifted into standard legion rules, sweep attack gets buffed to an auto hits, uniquely they let their medusas take phosphex and regular shells or let other artillery take mini phosphex shells (heavy 1 phosphex rapiers?) and the new RoW is destroyers/grave warden centric, with everything being a denial unit in the same manner as Typhon and getting to blow up objectives (hell, destroyers should be able to do this anyways)
>>
>>44834702
My Death Guard want True Grit. That's all. They're pretty much perfect, but then I'm basically always using The Reaping.

Ooh, actually, I want Power Scythes to be an option to replace CCW on Dreadnoughts. I've already converted some, and something with a base that big and ignoring Unwieldy can actually get some use out of it.
>>
>>44835040
Man I miss true grit.
>>
>>44816640
what are the rules on kitbashing?

i see it mentioned from time to time and i thought it was just combining shit to form an amalgamation of spare parts

can you create usable formation units from this?
>>
>>44832822

BaC is great for AL since they need a lot of power armor bodies usually. Hell, get two BaC, have a bunch of rhinos, buy a spartan and a pack of power exes + volkite weapons to make Lernaens and you can have an easy 2k+
>>
>>44833241
Not him but the source is Deliverance Lost. THe Raven Guard are given the first loyalist shipment of Mk 6 armor, recovered from Mars, and they ask, "What happened to Mk 5?" The response was essentially, "You're already wearing it."
>>
>>44811978
I don't think sarges can have both a combi wep and power fist
>>
>>44836518
So the dude's an idiot, nothing new there. And BL is shitty writing, nothing new there either.

It's true that some suits were made purely by clobbering shit together in repairs, but as a whole it was still a distinct mark, designed and built to be that. It wasn't mark 1-4, nor was it 6-8. It had its own distinct design with its own blueprints and all.
>>
File: Death Guard 2.jpg (48 KB, 452x604) Image search: [Google]
Death Guard 2.jpg
48 KB, 452x604
>>44835040
>>44835544
What was True Grit, for the newfags (like me)?

>>44834702
Yeah, pretty much any of those sounds pretty good.
I still don't understand why phosphex is a swap rather than an addition, like missile launchers
>>
>>44837548
if I remember correctly, it allowed you to count a bolter like a bolt pistol for the purpose of extra attacks in close combat. But I may be wrong, it's been a while.
>>
What's a good way to build 2000 points of soh? Favorite legion, don't care to be the best, just don't want to get stomped/be fluffy. I was thinking reavers, 20 man tacs in flyers and some justarein
>>
>>44837593
Mostly right, bolter could be used as an additional ccw in assault, but only if you didn't charge.
>>
File: IMG_20160117_185706.jpg (704 KB, 1626x1423) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_185706.jpg
704 KB, 1626x1423
WIP Space Wolves Contemptor Dreadnought.

This took longer than I thought it would. Not sure about if I need to put any pelts on this one.
>>
>>44837623
>>44837593
Thanks, that sounds pretty cool, and fairly fitting for the DG (though it also fits the IF's Bolters: The Legion thing very well)
>>
>>44837391
Umm...no.
>Branne nodded. ‘You called it Mark VI. What happened to Mark V?’
>Noriz pointed at the Raven Guard legionaries.
‘With full production not yet begun on Mars, these are the only suits available. Our companion transport has another fifteen hundred of them, on top of the five hundred we are carrying. In the absence of reliable Legion supply lines, the Mechanicum have designated all non-standard or stop-gap designs as Mark V. Many of the improvisations made by your armourium after the dropsite massacre are being passed on to other Legions in the absence of replacement parts for Mark IV. Your legionaries already have Mark V, commander.’

The point is it wasn't one single design, but many different designs.
>>
>>44838093
I'll take official GW fluff over some BL drivel, thank you very much.
>>
>>44838308
Nearly all official GW fluff, save from the earliest sources, refers to it as such.
>>
Are there no scans of any of the Horus heresy art books? Visions of heresy and the like
>>
>>44833241
Read your own pic
It was a use of old materials - so that means it's not a new purpose made in factories design
Improvised stop-gap - again not a thought out design
Vary a great deal - so again not a central new design
Mark 5 is a case of mark 4 being fixed and repaired with older marks and bits and pieces/ jury rigged to cope with legion weapons
>>
>>44838308
The General issue of the Mk IV suit was incomplete when the Horus Heresy erupted. This threw the entire Mk IV supply program into turmoil. In fact many of the most recently equipped Legions joined Horus in rebellion, while many loyalist Legions were forced to continue using the older marks of armour. The resulting confusion was considerable. The Space Marine armourers (Techmarines and Artificers) had hardly grown familiar with the new armour, and many were as yet unable to properly maintain, let alone duplicate it, as was originally intended.

With the Mk 4 newly in service, the need for large amounts of Mk IV spares had not been anticipated, resulting in suits rapidly becoming unusable due to even quite minor battle damage. It was soon found that the new and rather specialised materials used in construction of the Mark 4, were generally unavailable locally, and this increasingly became a problem as Legions moved from battle-zone to battle-zone. Loyal Imperial forces were soon forced into a fallback position.
Mass production of Mk IV armour was suspended indefinitely, and a new type of armour was 'designed' literally overnight to address the situation at hand, improvised suits of armour made from what was at hand and could be easily acquired. This armour was designated the Mk 5 or Heresy suit.
>>
>>44838373
Then do give sources.

>>44838440
>It was a use of old materials - so that means it's not a new purpose made in factories design

Except, you know, the helmet, torso, legs and arms being unique to itself and none of the previous designs. You read it again. They, for example, used the heavier cables of the Mk. 2 and 3 suits, but since the leg, torso and arm armour was different, it couldn't be fitted inside the new armour design and thus went on the outside.

>Improvised stop-gap - again not a thought out design

Enought that they could supply blueprints for it. Doesn't mean people all over were just told to wing it. They had plans on how to formulate such suits from materials that existed.

>Vary a great deal - so again not a central new design

So do all the armour marks! Sure, they used as much of the good stuff for Mk. 5s as possible, but you're making it sound like they just threw shit together with no plan, which totally isn't the case.

>Mark 5 is a case of mark 4 being fixed and repaired with older marks and bits and pieces

The text doesn't say that. It says that because materials for Mk. 4 suits weren't available, they turned to older armour marks for components and technologies to make the new suit. Where does it say Mk. 5 is an old Mk. 4 repaired with older mark stuff?

>jury rigged to cope with legion weapons

Where does it say that?
>>
>>44838481
What part of that makes it seem like Mk 5 could be passed onto marines without them noticing, or that it's indistinguishable from all the other marks?
>>
File: LG on canon.png (74 KB, 945x557) Image search: [Google]
LG on canon.png
74 KB, 945x557
>>44837391
>>44838308

I think we have a case of paragraph one here.
>>
>>44838687
The only source I can remember off the top of my head is the Deathwatch book with the different armor marks. I want to say Rites of Battle, but could be another one.

There's probably also something in Index Astartes and I think the FW HH books touched on it at some point, possibly around the time they did the Raven Guard.
>>
>>44838807
>I logic we have a coherence of market appeal IP.

FTFY
>>
>>44830605
It was indeed difficult but I managed to put it together just fine, until I realized the turrets were on upside down somehow.
>>
>>44838807
So he is saying that BL is fixing the fluff by releasing books that has inconsistent quality and several plotholes?
>>
>>44838378
There's a scan of book 1 of Visions of Heresy. Never found one for book 2.
>>
>>44839872
Plotholes such as?

Keeping in mind that the effort to do so did not start until the time that The First Heretic was released, and that any earlier HH books are invalid unless they're in the hardcover release.
>>
>>44839601
>Deathwatch

Don't really want to dwell on the validity of FFG books.

>Index Astartes

They are a pretty extensive set of text, so I'll need some pointers or it'll take some time to browse through them. Don't remember them talking much about armour marks, so at best it's a comment somewhere. Have to see what I can find.

>Raven Guard

It mostly talks about RG receiving prototype armour with a provisional designation of Mk. V, but which became the Mk. VI.

Unless there's some other bit somewhere else I'm missing.
>>
>>44833755
Veterans are Elites though, yes?
Or did their slot in the FOC change?
>>
>>44840713
Pride of the Legion or Chosen Duty makes them troop, in my opinion they are the best troop choice in a vanilla list.
>>
>>44837743
Add a Wolf Pelt handing from the front to cover the lower part, where the Rib Cage would be.
Are there any other Icons that can be added to the shoulders?
>>
>>44840748
Not him but what vet tactics would usually be used? I'm always put off by the small squad and not seeing an obvious niche they fill.
>>
>>44839919
Where? Can't find it in the op
>>
Are myrmidon destructors with grav imploders a bit overkill for zone mortalis (750 points limit)?
>>
>>44840941
Most people go for sniper; wounding everything on 4+ and ap2 on 6'es is pretty nice.
>>
>>44840989
Nah, they don't cost much more if any than similarly powerful legion specific terminators like Firedrakes or Tyrants. It's pretty much the same thing I was thinking of doing for a Zone Mortalis game - one unit of Secutors, one unit of Destructors, and some Thallax for troops with either a Myrmidax Prime or an Archmagos Reductor as HQ to represent a band of Myrmidon cultists or a band of Reductor boarders (although that was for 1k limit).
>>
>>44840893
Nah, I will put a pelt on the other one instead. This one will have a clean look.
>>
>>44840989
If you're doing ZM, I'd rather take Irradiation Engines. You'll wipe power armoured guys off the table easily.
>>
>>44840893
That could very well work.
I just don't like the lower Torso on the BaC Dread.
>>
>>44834451
Really you don't want to put more points into if you want to go for optimization. But if it's something you want to do then for aesthetics...

>>44834702
>no points adjustments

Still sticking to the "this was an off-hand comment that got over propagated" idea. Really cannot see how turning assault marines from severely over-costed to points bloated from rules is going to fix anything. Standard marine in 3+ with a jump pack is still basically fodder(comparatively).
>>
>>44841288
The thing is that you're going to want to have some kind of counter to Terminators in a ZM game as almost any list is gonna have a squad of them for fluff reasons (and because the BaC box has one and most people want to use them). Destructors with Imploders are like GravCents on cocaine when it comes to blowing up TEQ units.

Also, Irad-Engines probably would feel like cheese in a ZM game with how crazy powerful templates are. Add fleshbane w/ PE, torrent and AP 3 and it's a little much, honestly.
>>
File: 30k WB Ashen circle.jpg (118 KB, 683x473) Image search: [Google]
30k WB Ashen circle.jpg
118 KB, 683x473
How are Ashen Circle, especially when considering Assault Marines are pretty bad.
A unit of 10 with 2-3 Power Axes and some Phosphex Bombs is only about 300 pts for 10 templates and look decent in assault.
Is a 20man Legionnaire squad gonna get more mileage?
>>
>>44841392
25pts. more isn't a terrible waste on an otherwise quite strong thing. I just want to have something around I can throw at a super-heavy or a ceramite/shield spartan.
>>
File: erebus61382258402526396e2cc66f.jpg (50 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
erebus61382258402526396e2cc66f.jpg
50 KB, 800x680
Realized how little heresy there is in my life
So I'm throwing in with chaos, 3000 points of delicious Word Bearer with a side of Daemon

ROW: The Dark Brethren
LOW
Lorgar Trasgender

HQ
Erebus

Crimson Apostle With x2 Blade Slaves

Elite
Gal Vorbek

Troops
x20 Tactical
x2 Chainswords Each
Melta Bombs
Dark Channeling

x10 Tactical
- Melta Bombs
- Artificer Armour
- Power Fist
- Dark Channeling

x10 Tac Support
- Melta Bombs
- x10 Volkite Calivers
- Melta Bombs
- Drop Pod
- Dark Channeling

Fast Attack
x3 Jetbikers
- Plasma Cannon

Heavy Support
Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought
- Missile Launcher

Ally
HQ
Be'lakor

Elite
x3 Flamers

Troops
x10 Daemonettes
- Icon of Chaos
- Instrument of Chaos

x10 Pink Horrors
- Icon of Chaos
- Instrument of Chaos

Fask Attack
x5 Seekers

Heavy Support
Burning Chariot

Total: 2999 pts

Erebus goes with the x20 squad and the x10 tactical squad hang behind the Crimson Apostle, Lorgar goes with his Gal Vorbeck Bodyguard.
>>
>>44841736
25ppm before upgrades. 20 at a full 20man. That's before upgrades too, which is what really makes it hurt.

Other jump units like Dark Furies already have good equipment and special rules.

So if they added equipment starting out, or *severely* discounted purchasable equipment while adding a special rule to the unit. Then they might be acceptable. I still would probably never take them, even being RG. But still, maybe they'll get more screen time for others.

As for fighting AC things, dreads with dual grav and chain will do much better than AMs for the points.
>>
>>44841619

>those cylon visors

hype as fuck
>>
how heretical would it be to have loyalist Iron Warriors allied with my imperial fists
>>
>>44841945
wut?

I'm talking about the lightning. It's 210pts. for 4 penetrator missiles, tank hunter and strafing run. 25pts. more for 2 more missiles isn't going to break the bank. Hell, with a bit of luck it might get a second chance at using the bloody things. After all, if it can Jink itself clear of return fire, it can always fly off the board and return another turn to toss the last two at something else, along with some lascannon shots.
>>
>>44842029
Ohhhh got my lines crossed thinking about AMs with MBs, disregard.
>>
>>44842025
It would positively decimate any chance for your army to be fluffy.
>>
>>44842029
Different anon here. The extra 25 pts is a decent idea as long as you have the points. That way you get to do two runs of TL Lascannon + 3 missiles, or one balls-out run of five missiles at once (since you're BS5 with Strafing Run you could fire five weapons).

If you think you're only going to need it for one run, though, just save the points and do the TL LC + 4 missile run then jink around being annoying. Honestly if it doesn't kill its target in a single run to get its points back there's a good chance you won't get the second run anyway, and by the time you jink off the board and fly back in the target may have already done so much damage that it's a moot point.
>>
>>44842025
Fluff: Interesting to say the least
Crunch: Meh, they both do similar things with similar flaws, better to take an ally that plugs in the gaps the main guys have
>>
>>44842025

Well, it happened once. The greatest Bromance of the Heresy.
>>
>>44842025
It wouldn't be because it already happened. The forces who escaped with Dantioch worked alongside Alexis Polux in Ultramar.
>>
>>44842164
>(since you're BS5 with Strafing Run you could fire five weapons)

How so? A flyer can only fire 4 weapons at full BS. Anything beyond that is snap shots. No point in wasting points to that.
>>
>>44842271
Oh, I thought it was one weapon per point of ballistic skill, my bad.

The more I think about it the better it is to just run it without the third set of missiles and hope that one volley does the trick.
>>
>>44841911
Lorgar: Seet
Erebus: Why? Zardu does everything he adds.
Zardu and Slaves: They can't join a unit, and want to get close.

The Gals: How many and with what?

Tactical 1: Give the Serg a PW if they plan to be choppy
Tactical 2: Why PF and AA when this squad is less likely to assault?
Tac Support: I like

Jetbikes: Never seen anyone play prior. What role do they have?

Judge Dread: Endorsed.

Be'lakor: Nice guy

Flamers: Min size is best

Deamonettes: Why? Horrors are much better here
Horrors: Great. Do they need the Icon and Instrument though?

Seekers: Love these gals

Burning Chariot: Should be good.
>>
>>44842389
Gals, five with no upgrades
Tac 1 will do
Tac 2: fair nuff

Jetbikes: speed around, harass and zap some TEQ's

Daemoness, totally get ya, but gonna keep them, love the models too much, will stick erebus with them )also love that model too much( and add in a chaplain for the x20
>>
>>44842620
Gals want at least a Power Maul, especially on the Martyr. Deep Striking only 5 is risky, and walking is equally dangerous to Templates.
Tac1: Maybe even AA on him, but your choice.
Tac2: Good loss
Dickbikes: I feel for 150pts you can do better. Only 1W makes them really vulnerable, and you dont need to drop that many pts just for a Plasma Cannon and 2 HBs that lack synergy
Deamons: I have the last edition of Daemonettes and love them, but feel that Bloodletters are better here. Horrors should sit back and objective grab while summon assisting.

Chaplin in the 20man is wise, so Erebus makes sense if that is their point. I'd try to find room for an Apothecary then, as they are gonna be a big target.
>>
>>44841430
Irad-Engines feel like cheese in regular games too. They should have max 2 of fleshbane, PE, torrent and AP3.
>>
>>44842896
They are crazy expensive on an already expensive unit though. They better be good.
>>
>>44842896
Well, in regular games they at least have to get to the enemy, which means getting them a transport since they can't run, which means a very expensive unit (usually a deathstar of both Imploders and Irad-Engines with the HQ). In ZM those torrent templates are gonna find enemies and erase entire squads at a time pretty easily, especially if you're playing as the defender and don't need to move them much.
>>
>>44842742
I'd get rid of the Blade Slaves, despite being sweet as models, just use them as Dark Martyrs or something. Then put Zardu in with tacticals, he's a chaplain too despite not counting as one for RoW.
>>
>>44809839

It seems too powerful because it's a 40k codex. Duh? What did you expect?
>>
>>44843006
100% Agree.
Blade Slaves and Zardu want a transport like a Drop Pod, and unless doing that, i'd skip on them.
They would make great Dark Martyr substitutes. Zardu does prove to be a solid choice. And with leftover pts, add CCWs to that tactical and add the Apothecary.
>>
Hey, what are the ways I can run this guy?
>>
>>44843690
With arms.
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 699x901) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 699x901
I think I like Alpha Legion, especially in the illustrated color scheme (more than in FW's photos) but I dunno… it's hard to relate to them without knowing what they're thinking. I wish their fluff was just a little less vague. What's their endgame?
>>
>>44844029
Don't make your army based on the goals of the entire Alpha Legion. You're not playing the entire Alpha Legion. You're playing one cell/company who may have a connection to the Alpha Legion. You're on a need to know basis. Your goal for the next year is to do everything you can to delay the forces around you. All of them, friend and foe. You don't know why. You don't need to know why. And the method you use to accomplish this is up to you. Good luck.
>>
>>44843690
Well, i'm afraid that running is the only thing you can do with him.
>>
>>44843690

>>44844027
Arms are overrate
>>44844268
That is correct, considering it does not have Tracks
>>
>>44843690
One of each melee arm is good; they're not specialist weapons so you'll get +1A, and for only 5pts you get the choice of the infantry raping default arm attacks or the vehicle/building raping siege arm attacks.

Double shooty arms aren't bad either, just remember that they're very short ranged. It does become very expensive this way and runs the risk of getting tarpitted as you lose base attacks if you replace melee arms with gun arms.

Either way you've got to weigh whether or not he's worth his points, as he's about as expensive as two Dreads that could fill both shooty and choppy roles instead of one or the other.
>>
>>44844027
You mean I don't just bash loyalist with my face-chest?
>>
>>44844438
Well, he does do two HoW attacks so you could try that if you wanted.
>>
>>44844421
Ah okay, I think i'll look at the other dreads then.
>>
>>44844495
Full rules if you want to look into him further: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf
>>
>>44844349
>his deadnoughts don't have heelies
>>
>>44844029
The problem with Alpha Legion is that a "mystery" where even the writers don't know the answer is basically meaningless (see: Lost). I agree with >>44844239. The only way to make them work is to give your guys specific goals for unspecific reasons which hint at a much greater and far reaching plan.
>>
>>44840893
>>44841359
Does all Space Wolf units need to have pelts and runes coming out of the ass?
>>
>>44844421
So 1 melee 1 shooty isn't good then?
>>
Hey doods

I want to play this game. I like the idea of Blood Angels, White Scars, Night Lords, and Death Guard. Is there a good reason to avoid or pick any of those? I know essentially nothing about each legion's special rules or special units
>>
>>44844421
He's just under the cost of an Imperial Knight.
I'd rather run one of those, or take 2.5 normal Dreads, or 2 other Contemptors instead for his cost.
Storm Cannon is cool, 6 shots, but S7 and Sunder is mixed rule.
Grav-flux bombard is great but short ranged.
I feel he wants to challenge MCs, but there aren't many in 30k and they are still cheaper and better.
>>
>>44844615
You'd need to playtest it honestly, I haven't seen it used. It might not be a bad idea, but it depends on how you read how the bonus attack rules work. The rules state that the bonus for two weapons are already included in the profile (A4), but that you lose one attack for every melee weapon replaced with a gun. However, if you replace a melee weapon with a gun you also lose the bonus for having two melee weapons, so you'd actually lose two attacks for the first weapon so removed, bringing you down to only two attacks (and if you replace both he only has one attack).

Long story short: the hybrid build actually loses out pretty heavily in melee and doesn't protect against getting tarpitted that much. If you're gonna go shooty you may as well go full shooty. The Storm Cannon is pretty neat since it gives you Kheres level shooting but with AP3 base instead of Rending.

>>44844728
This anon is on point, pretty much what he said.
>>
>>44844758
Ouch, didn't realise you lose 2 attacks by going mixed.

Still, looks pretty great
>>
>>44844897
While it looks awesome, if you go for 2 guns and then add in Armoured Ceramite and a Phosphex Discharger, its a whopping 335pts!
Yeah, no.
>>
>>44844700
Well Blood Angels and White Scars don't have rules yet, but are expected to have rules by the end of next month.
>>
To bad armoured Ceramite doesn't stop melta bombs.
>>
>>44846297
Melta fuel can't melt armoured ceramite beams.
>>
So does it matter what close combat weapon a Contemptor Dreadnought have, or is it do they all have the same rule?
>>
So all this talk about that big fat dreadnought, what should I do with my ghetto plastic contemptors? I'm thinking of using a hacksaw and making on a contemptor mortis with dual kheres...but for the other one, do I go double fist with double graviton guns or melta + fist/graviton gun? I'm sure this gets asked a lot, sorry.
>>
>>44844268
>>
>>44846657
Rules exist for a reason.
>>
>>44846257
Ok, what can you tell me about the other two? OR are there any legions that people generally consider fun to play or more frustrating to have as an army? I want to get a feel for the 'meta' - not in a waac powergaming sense, but just to see what the flavors are beyond colors and fluff
>>
>>44847250
There's a thread FAQ, an official forgeworld errata and links to the rules in the OP. I suggest you take a look at those before posting any further.
>>
after the tread about backgrounds a couple of days ago I decided to think up some fluff for my Imperial fists...

...but now I can't get it translated into proper writing so that it seems coherent

WHY BRAIN!
>>
>>44848014
Good thing we have exemplars such as yourself to guide the masses

:^)
>>
>>44848014
will do friendo
>>
Power level predictions:

White Scars will be on the lower end of medium-tier. Wolves will be on the upper end of it.

Dark Angels will be Iron Hands level of strong with super bikes AND super terminators.
>>
>>44849894
White Scars will sound right, but I'm sure they'll have some unique bike unit that will make 30k actually look at bikes for once.
Wolves will likely be higher end of mid-tier, but limited idea on units beyond Scouts. They are not among Legions I particularly care for,
Dark Angels will flooooood Plasma and maybe Jetbikes. Maybe unique Termies that are scoring with Plasma Blasters.
>>
>>44850713
>30k actually look at bikes for once
why arent they looked at now?
>space wolf units
inb4 thunderwolves ;^P
>>
>>44850802
>Bikes
Can't speak for everyone, but I find as RG that anything they can do another unit can do better.

The one tech thing I want to try is 6 bikes, a bunch of axes, and a forge lrod with rad grenades. S6 vs T3 at AP2 to run through tacs with apoths and scour enemy scoring.

But I have more Deythan and Dark Furies for that... I supposed if I ever wanted to do a Pale Nomad army...
>>
>>44850802
3 Outrider Bikes are 90pts. They have 2ccw and Scout, but upgrades for TL Melta or TL Plasma are super expensive.
So 6 Bikes with 6 TL Meltaguns (you can do this!) and a Sergeant with Power Sword is 355pts. Sure its quick, but 1W each with only T5 and a 3+ means they die quick, even to overheating. You can take harder hitting/shooty units over them.
A pal plays White Scars in 40k and refuses to carry his list into 30k because it isn't that great.
>>
>>44850713
I always wondered - why are Dangels so plasma heavy fluffwise?
>>
>>44851228
>>44851273

Hmm...guess FW is going to try and special rule them to usability (though i have no idea how they're going to do it...fixing points would be so much more easier for them).

>>44851295

First legion so they get all the cool and rare tech, wouldn't be surprised if their plasma didn't get hot or re-rolled failed gets hot.
>>
>>44851379
>try and special rule them to usability

I'll believe it when I see it. Outriders already have a bunch of rules.

>fixing points would be so much more easier for them
This is so painfully effective there's no way in hell they didn't consider this.
>>
>>44851436
To be fair they are still a subsidiary of GW, so expect some lapses in common sense.
>>
>>44851483
Subsidiary means that the company is mostly owned by another whil stoll being a different entity, FW and GW are part of the same company, Citadel miniatures, they are different studios in the same company.
>>
>>44820426
Sounds like you are just bad. Gal Vorbak are fine.
>>
So now Tartaros have their own rule in FAQ. They may make sweeping advances. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
>>
Just gotta say that Tyrants rock the house on newbies that only have B@C. Woo!
>>
>>44853459
We know, the FAQs been out for a while now.
>>
>>44853459
>"tartaros, indomitus and saturnine suits are functionally nigh identical"
>proceed to make them different and some objectively better than others

Did Cruddace write this?
>>
>>44854253
"so guys...how we gonna sell Tartaros sets now that Betrayal at Calth has decent quality plastic Cataphractii for cheep?"
>>
Anyone tries to stop me from using the Tartaros rules for my plastic termies will be getting a good old fashioned table flip.
>>
>>44854281
By the same way they sold when cheap plastic indomitus suits were available. Why haven't they given Mk. 2 and 3 suits special rules to boost their sales compared to the cheap Mk. 4s?
>>
>>44854253
But but I read that Tartaros is more agile than others, while cataphractii is tougher.
>>
>>44854400
>"Several different Terminator armour patterns were developed roughly concurrently by different Forge Worlds during the later decades of the Great Crusade, including the Indomitus, Tartaros and Saturnine patterns, most of which were functionally identical."

It all depends on HOW agile. I mean, the Mk. 2 is suppose to be more agile than later marks with their rigid plates, and Mk. 3 is suppose to be uncomfortably cumbersome, but offer the best protection, but they don't get any special rules.

I'd be fine with Tartaros being able to sweep if it came with a price. Say, remove Relentless (in exchange for speed they reduced the load carrying capabilities). Just making it objectively better than the alternative isn't exactly good writing.
>>
>>44854364
Most units that have hardened armor are depicted as wearing either Mk II or Mk III in the art, so I guess there is that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.