[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tide of Ages Quest Pt.22
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 6
File: Stone age 1.jpg (33 KB, 500x266) Image search: [Google]
Stone age 1.jpg
33 KB, 500x266
"Sera, I need you to stay behind and look after your brother."
"But why can EBBA go, while I can't? I'm older than her, dad! And Galit's staying behind anyway!"
You've been dreading this conversation ever since you decided who to bring. Sera is red-faced and torn between hurt and fury. "Sera, I need you to stay behind BECAUSE you are the older sister! Ebba isn't old enough to mind the family yet and there are things she can learn from this journey."
Sera stamps her foot and your magical touch-sight can feel her jabbing a finger at you. "There's barely more than a year between us! And some family it'll be to watch with just Noh and Galit! Brother isn't a helpless baby and Galit is completely able to look after herself! Why don't you want me to go? This is the first chance I've had to do anything with you and mother since you lost your sight, apart from just plucking fish out of the river!"
"I know you're frustrated, believe me, I understand," you sigh. If not for her normal behavior, you'd be starting to lose your patience with Sera's defiance by now. "I promise you, you will learn to hunt. If not from me, then from the best teacher I can find for you."
"Who then? Mesut? Dad, I don't WANT to learn from him-!"
"No. Not Mesut. Soqed. I don't care what offering I have to make to get him to accept you as part of his pack, if it'll help you learn what you seek, I'll do it. Do you understand?"
That silences your spirited daughter. She hangs her head, her arguments defeated by the generous offer. "I- Thank you, dad. Of course, that would be... But really, I just want to learn from you..."
>>
>>44774805
You place a hand on Sera's head and gently pet her dark hair. She's a good child and will grow up well, but your disability frustrates you both. "If this goes well, I may one day be able to hunt with you, Sera. But for now, I need you to watch the home. Can you do that for me?"
She sighs, but nods, hugging you tightly. "You'd better come back alive," she growls threateningly. "No messing with magic this time."
"I promise," you nod. "I'll come home safe and sound."

You join your brother, wife and second-born daughter, ready to leave after bidding Noh a tearful farewell. For a boy of seven, he's still very emotional and attached to you. Elia and Galit also say their goodbyes, but unless your ears deceive you, they almost seem... Strained. Maybe so many years is finally starting to weigh on Elia's mind? Galit hasn't even given him any children, for goodness sake!

The four of you take your belongings and set out. You reach the river in fairly good time and can see the herders camp on the far side. Honestly, if it wasn't for Nila's natural barrier between you, they'd be uncomfortably close. You cock your head, listening to the river for a moment, before you sense Beren staring a hole in the back of your head. You clear your throat.
"Let's... Let's go find a crossing, shall we?"
You don't want to walk into that lion's den again! You're pretty sure you heard her slip the pestle into her travelling bag...
>>
>>44774813
nice to see you back.
did you ever do the update after this one? we agreed to kind of try and do a cultural exchange, heal/practice as much as possible their people and talk tech exchange. Healing for trade, see what they know. blah blah all deh goodies
>>
>>44774813
You and the group proceed upriver, cross at a relatively shallow ford and then return. It's certainly a lot slower, but with Beren to hand, you don't want to take any un-necessary risks. You all have a moment of brief panic as Ebba slips away from your group as you cross and ducks under the water that still runs strong and knee-deep to you, but moments later, she re-appears, soaked to the skin, but apparently un-touched by the current. "I just wanted to say hello to ma," she explains, when asked why she let go of the group.
Beren looks very much like she wants to scold the girl, but you've all learned long ago that when it comes to the river, your daughter is almost impossible to pin down. She feels as at home there as she does in the village, possibly even more so!

After a little less than a month's travel, you arrive at the herder's camp. Their homes are small and simple and their belongings light enough to carry, but they do not appear significantly less advanced than your people. Their way of life provides them with what they need, just as yours does for you. As they see you approach at first, they are wary, but welcoming. Then they see you among the visitors and a note of worry enters the strange words you hear and they at once become much more guarded. A few of the children flee for the safety of their parents legs.
"Well that's a start," Elia observes. "How do you want to go from here, brother?"

>Stride into their camp unafraid and find the one who looks the most in-charge
>Let Beren lead the others in, while you wait a good distance away
>Approach, but stop on the outskirts and see if you get anyone coming to you
>Just call out from where you are, a short distance from their homes.
>Other
>>
>>44775091
>Stride into their camp unafraid and find the one who looks the most in-charge
Not like our village hasn't been here before. We should have some knowledge about who is in charge enough to know what not to do when meeting the herders.
>>
>>44775091
>>Stride into their camp unafraid and find the one who looks the most in-charge
>>
>>44775091
Enter and sit at the largest camp-fire and ask if we can speak with them/their leaders, offer to heal and trade in the mean time.
>>
Right, votes called! Writing~!

>>44774966
I didn't do an update, no. I'll keep your reason for the visit in mind however! Getting them to trust the scary sorcerer they all remember doing weird shit to the river and nearly dying for it, might be a little tougher.
>>
>>44775091
>>Stride into their camp unafraid and find the one who looks the most in-charge
>>44775303
We speak their language?
>>
>>44775681
It's a very welcome sign to see you back RWB
>>
>>44775684
We have been trading with them for years, so yes i would imagine so
>>
>>44774805
There's a faggot misarchiver going around and your thread's been hit.
Sorry brah.
Next thread, archive instantly
>>
God almighty, why do people insist on calling me the moment i start this thread every damn time?

You don't even break your stride. "They're just not used to me," you shrug. "They'll get over it. They've traded with the clan before, after all. They'll soon see I don't mean any harm."
Your confidence isn't immediately rewarded. As you walk into their camp, the herders shrink back form you. A few grip spears and slings tighter and the one or two of the children outright start crying. No-one comes forward to greet you, preferring to whisper behind their hands and flinch away when you look at them. Instead, you glance around, trying to find any that look like they're in charge. One stands out to you; a shrewd-looking old man just starting to turn grey with age. You incline your head to him respectfully and he steps forward, followed by a handful of others, men and women. Not all of them are as old as he and they appear to be a mix of both men and women.
"Why have you come here?" he asks in an understandable, but accented version of your clan's dialect. "You don't carry enough to trade. If you seek to do us harm, know that Maar the bull-god protects us. You will only earn his wrath if you seek to harm us with your magic." He pulls open his goatskin jacket a little and Beren whispers to you.
"He has a painting on his chest. A bull's head. The others have bull icons too..."
>>
>>44777284
The headman eyes your staff and the carvings of the gods upon it. "You are the shaman?" he asks. "The crow told us of you. He said you were foolish and brash, but knew things we did not and were strong in spite of being sightless..." He gestures and the clan around you seems to relax a little, loosening their grip on their weapons, but still regarding your band with suspicion.
"Sit with us," the man instructs. "I am Saraf, leader of the clan ring. Just as your old ones rule you, we choose those who know the old secrets and the best minds that hold them. First we eat, so you know we do not mean you harm, then you will tell us why you are here."

What will you talk about?
>Offer them your magic as a gift, to heal their sick and injured
>Learn as much as you can about their clan
>Offer to teach them the secrets of shamanism and the gods
>Tell them of your plan to unite the clans
>Ask them for wisdom, such as how they control their herds
>Other
>>
File: This upsets me.jpg (147 KB, 940x540) Image search: [Google]
This upsets me.jpg
147 KB, 940x540
>>44776309
Fucking really? Who even has enough of a hateboner to waste his time doing that? Seriously?

Any ideas of how I can fix it? This shit's been going on all week, hasn't it?
>>
>>44777341
>>Offer them your magic as a gift, to heal their sick and injured

And then

>Tell them of your plan to unite the clans

Let's not pussyfoot. It's time for unity of the great valley tribes.
>>
>>44777341
>>Learn as much as you can about their clan
In that order. The best way to formulate a unity deal they'll accept is to learn as much as possible about them.
>>
>>44777341
>>
>>44777341
>>
>>44777409
Email Lord Liquorice I think that's his name (guy who runs the archive)
>>
>>44777341
"Greeting wizened people of this tribe, I offer my skill in magic to you in exchange for you ears and for some knowledge. I wish to learn to herd like you do and to have you know that i seek to unite the tribes under the command of the gods. For this reason i am here, to talk, to learn and to, hopefully, bring unity"
>>
>>44777341
>>Learn as much as you can about their clan
>>
I think that guy is also a shaman
>>
>>44777341

Bring up the Council of the Godsworn (name I just came up with, feel free to hate it)
>>
>>44777886
I think their role is closer to story-teller, which in oral tradition cultures in very important but i think they may also be the priest caste so to speak, maybe with rituals to talk with their gods or garner favour
>>
>>44777409
[email protected]

LL's email give him the correct thread info, he's a really nice guy.
>>
We should say how each of us gas encountered different gods. We should work together for the good of both our peoples. Each of us have walked different paths but now we can name a brighter future together. Maybe we can go commune together find why the bull didn't heed our call and who heeded his
>>
>>44777683
>>44777979
Okay, he's emailed. Let's hope Faggot McAssmunch O'Wastingtime gets tired of his 'oh so funny shenanigans' before too long.

Votes called, writing more, I guess? At least this keeps my hands on the keyboard so I don't get a chance to get distracted while I wait for votes...
>>
I'm sorry for the delay. Christ, I'm trying to make these threads pick up, but...

Anyway, writing properly now. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>44779774
We're still here so there's nothing to apologise for
>>
>>44779774
You good senpai
>>
>>44779774

You're all good man, you've always got good stuff when you come back
>>
Reporting in.
>>
Hello
>>
"I come with a gift," you say after a small, mostly-ceremonial meal of grilled goat meat. "The gods have taught me their way to work miracles. What you saw years ago was one of my first attempts. Since then, I have practiced and learned control. Bring me your sick and your injured and I will heal them cleanly and well."
"And what might the price of such a 'gift' be?" asks Saraf coolly. He is definitely no fool and doesn't believe in any such thing as a free lunch.
"Just that you listen," Beren suggests. "Trym has a plan that can benefit many in the valley, but your assistance will help greatly in bringing it about."
"If you can do as you say you can, then the ring will listen," Saraf nods slowly, "But we promise nothing else."

A child suffering from fever is brought to you first, after the ring disperses to find someone desperate enough to test the goodwill and secrets of a stranger who claims the power of the gods. The healing goes well and the child's family thank you in halting speech. It seems the ring are the ones who did most of the talking with your people.
"This magic," one asks you, a woman with an intensely furrowed brow, "It doesn't anger the gods that you use it?"
"No, in fact it was one of the gods that taught him how," nods Elia. "Nila, the goddess of the river."
For a moment, Ebba looks up at you, but you sense it in time to carefully shake your head. Revealing Ebba's parentage at this point might cause problems.
"Then how do you explain the river?" presses the herder woman. Saraf wasn't lying; all of the ring could charitably be called intelligently wary... Or uncharitably just 'paranoid'.
"I told you. I was untrained and unprepared for what I was doing," you reply. "Things are different now.
"Hmmmh. Regardless, there are others that would benefit from your magic, if your gift extends that far..?"

>Hear me out first
>Agree to heal them first 2d10+2 (Spirit +Shaman +Item)
>>
>>44781763
I'm so sorry it took so long. I'm still here. I can still do this. I'm sorry.
>>
Rolled 9, 4 + 2 = 15 (2d10 + 2)

>>44781763
>>Agree to heal them first 2d10+2 (Spirit +Shaman +Item)
>>
Rolled 6, 10 + 2 = 18 (2d10 + 2)

>>44781763
>>Agree to heal them first 2d10+2 (Spirit +Shaman +Item)
>>
Rolled 10, 3 + 2 = 15 (2d10 + 2)

>>44781763
>Agree to heal them first 2d10+2 (Spirit +Shaman +Item)

Bring them to me
>>
I'm on board with the healing first, too.

Nice rollin lads
>>
>>44781915
Pretty good
>>
Alright, counted and writing. I can do this. Tonight I'm going until I collapse.
>>
>>44782330
Don't kill yourself over the quest man. We all love it, and want it to continue, so just take it easy and if you're tried, sleep, so that you can continue at top efficiency next time around
>>
>>44782330
Cheers m8.

off topic, but does anyone know why civ threads never last on TG? Why quests instead of civs? Is it because it's easier to focus on one character in depth than a whole nation, or is it just funner for most?
>>
>>44782466
Civs qms rarely continue more then 2-5. Threads and rarely bring anything new to the table, RWB is different in his quality, his originality and his staying power. Read his old quest in the archive, it was awesome and it lasted like 70 threads
>>
>>44782466
I honestly prefer the civs. I think they require a lot more attention and background work, though, and that allows them to come grinding to a halt easier than a single protagonist adventure.
>>
>>44782527
Yeah and I had to keep track of WAY too much towards the end. I mean, consider a game as high-level as Civilization. That game tracks SO much and it's only giving you a broad overview of your people!

Now consider how in-depth most civ threads go here on /tg/. Speaking from experience, oh my GOD is it a nightmare to keep track of food, resources, NPCs, other civs, culture, technology, potentially magic, maps... The list never ends!

That's why this time, I'm focusing on one character per generation. We can still follow and as you can see, effect the civ, but it's MUCH easier to keep a perspective on this level. You're only directly responsible for controlling one man or woman.
>>
>>44782627
And despite not being involved in your last game, but having read a lot of it, I think this ones a great success. Good balance. And I can see how it'd help on your end with data management. It's one of the reasons I haven't QM myself just yet.
>>
>>44782527
The only good Civ Quest I've seen last for more than 20 threads is Hive Queen Quest. And even that is on a possibly permanent hiatus.
>>
>>44782865
That was cool yeah. I liked crustacean civ too but that ended right when it got good

Also ogre civ by blorp
>>
>>44782865
I don't mind civ threads ending and having new ones starting. The thing I want is just to have a daily civ thread of any decent kind.

I loved the /pol civs but mad janitors ruined it all and the user base split up due to bans and lack of communication.
>>
Your attention starts to flag as you steadily work your way through the herders. Most of the injuries are minor, but the fact that they seem to be taking this chance to use you as a cure-all means that everything from the sniffles and itches, to old hunting wounds and staving off an elder's death by a few more weeks are brought to you. Those last are especially draining, but you manage to soldier on until the sun dips beyond the horizon and you are healing by firelight. Finally, when you ask for the next, Beren tells you that there are no more and you fall flat on your back, groaning in relief.
At least now you have plenty of eager listeners who want to know what brought you out here just to heal every little complaint they had. You notice that while Elia is mostly being useless, Beren and Ebba have been spreading a little of the word, telling people how you speak for the gods and that it is their will that the clans come together and become closer. It looks like this might be easier than you thought, after all!

Then the herders ring returns, having drifted away in ones and twos as the day wore on. They've clearly been keeping an ear to the ground, as they don't give you much time to rest before grilling you on your plans.
"We've heard what your wife and daughter have been saying," Saraf nods, passing you a gourd with some deliciously cool water. "But we promised we would listen, nothing more. All your talk of unity seems fine, but you ask us to give up a way of life that has kept us well for generations. Friendship is all well and good, but to accept your people and the ones further up the valley into our homes asks almost too much to be believed! Then there are concerns on how we may all be fed, especially without moving the herd to fresh grazing land! What answers can you offer for that?"
>>
File: Elders.png (234 KB, 565x300) Image search: [Google]
Elders.png
234 KB, 565x300
>>44783498
Please choose only a SINGLE response, to be the main thrust of your argument.

For any response, please roll 6d10 (Charisma +Leader). Beren's influence has universally lowered the difficulty of the roll, but the direction of your argument will determine the difficulty to a great extent.

>If you do not join now, you will ultimately be faced with a threat you cannot best alone and be destroyed.
>We can grow plenty of food to keep your people fed and your herds too.
>All things change in time. Your way of life was the best in times past, but times are changing.
>We have never been anything with honest with you. You can trust us.
>The gods will that we be united. Will you defy the gods?
>Your people should be willing to choose for themselves.
>Other
>>
Rolled 2, 10, 7, 4, 5, 3 = 31 (6d10)

>>44783560
>>
Rolled 5, 8, 5, 2, 4, 8 = 32 (6d10)

>>44783560
>All things change in time. Your way of life was the best in times past, but times are changing.
>>
Rolled 9, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9 = 39 (6d10)

>>44783560
>>
>>44783597
>>44783600
>>44783607
Pretty mediocre rolls
>>
>>44783560
>>We can grow plenty of food to keep your people fed and your herds too.
>>
Rolled 4, 8, 10, 10, 5, 10 = 47 (6d10)

>>44783634
Am I retarded? Obviously going for growing food.
>>
>>44783652
Pretty decent roll but I guess it's too late.
>>
Rolled 6, 9, 10, 2, 8, 7 = 42 (6d10)

>>44783560
Feel like it should be fine.
>>
>>44783738
Nope. That was the third roll for the grow food option.
>>
>>44783560

Surely the magic we have sewn here is proof of what we are capable of when it comes to providing for our people and neighbours.
>>
>>44783847
How to roll on phone, no email field?
>>
>>44783867
Goes in options, under the name field.
Still the same "dice+" input.
>>
>>44783847
>>
File: image.png (299 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
299 KB, 1242x2208
Rolled 9, 3, 9, 9, 1, 9 = 40 (6d10)

>>44783929
>>
Rolled 5, 10, 6, 5, 10, 9 = 45 (6d10)

>>44784066
>>44783847
>>
>>44784066
Maybe I should stop using all my luck...
>>
Alright, counting the votes and rolls, then I physically can no longer remain upright. One last update for tonight coming.
>>
You do your level best to convince the herders that with the grain you grow, you can feed them and their herds with ease. The fields and the wild grain itself are starting to become visible even from their side of the river, making your argument a little easier to swallow. You put forth that even in the best of conditions, travelling as they do must put a strain on their numbers and those of their goats. Inevitably, some will be lost just to the difficulty of keeping everyone together on the move. While they can be replaced, there will be less loss if they stay and work together with you, to say nothing of a more secure food source in your crops, which cannot die to thirst or disease the same way living goats can. Together, you tell them, you can combine your strengths and be part of something better.

The ring seems... Largely unconvinced. A heated debate breaks out as five of the seven reject you, but the remaining two see the merit in your words. An agreement is not reached before dawn and breakfast the next day breaks out once more into debate as the clan argues (with a little help from you and Beren) on what to do. Finally, the ring agrees to allow a small number of their tribe the option of staying with a handful of the herd and see how things go as they visit each year with their usual migration. It's not the complete success you had hoped for, but a half-dozen is an easier number to work with and introduce the idea to your own clan, than another forty new mouths to feed and strangers to accommodate. You make the agreement and the ring tells you it will take some time before they have chosen the few who will go. You are politely told they will be sent to your clan when they are ready and in the meantime, your group makes the decision to return home.
>>
>>44784480
Picking up the thread again as soon as I've had a few hours to recuperate.

Thank you all for coming. Hopefully that mis-archiving gets sorted out sharpish. Stay safe all!
>>
>>44784503
Thanks RWB, we'll keep it warm
>>
Bumping for morning
>>
Keeping it alive.
>>
bumperino
>>
Here another bump
>>
I'm awake, the thread's been properly archived and I'm in desperate need of a bacon sammich. Yup, everything's in order this end, let's get this ball re-rolling!

God I hope you're all still here and my general self-pitying faggotry hasn't scared you all off.
>>
You return to your village without incident and Beren reminds you that you still need to make sure there's no opposition from your own clan, who won't be expecting the herders arrival, whenever that may be. "We've made a good start," she nods, "But what of the strangers? That might be even harder to convince everyone to accept and I'm not likely to be much help to you there, not after last time."
"Will they even still recognise you?" asks Elia, "It's been years, after all."
"I've not changed all that much," your wife sniffs, "And we caused a lot of panic last time. If I were the one that tried to steal me, I'd certainly hold a grudge."
She has a point. The effect of even three pregnancies and nearly a decade and a half of living with you has had some effect, but not enough to disguise her from the woman you inadvertently bound yourself to in the middle of the Strangers village. But would that man really hold a grudge after all this time? Beren would, but then, she's Beren. You doubt she forgets much at all...

After you return to your village, it takes a good two weeks before the herders arrive at the start of fall. There's a group of three men and two women and they bring with them a small herd of eleven nanny-goats and two rams. Your clan isn't sure what to make of their arrival and the feeling is largely mutual. The home they set up is also very drab and meager compared to the hide and timber huts your clan uses.

What will you do? You have no food remaining to feed your family this season.
>Hunt the aurochs 1d10 (Strength -Blind)
>Fish in the river 1d10 (Skill +Trait -Blind)
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Try and investigate something new (List options)
>Make something special (List options)
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>Change your active jobs and examine your inventory (free)
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Bring more land under cultivation
>Other
>>
>>44788705
PROTIP!

Remember that you can ask your family to do things for you with a Charisma +Leader challenge. The difficulty is based on how much they like you, the obligation they feel and how much work they have done lately.
>>
>>44788705
>ask entire family to fish for us
> begin working on a tribute for soqed, a helmet out of his skull, to offer as tribute in exchange for his training of your daughter
>>
>>44788753
I'll back
>>
>>44788705
Get the family to build the herders a better home. Can't have them getting cold their first time here.
>>
Rolled 1, 7 = 8 (2d10)

>>44789130
Apologies. Forgot dice.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>44788705
For fishing + crafting the gift for soqed
>>
Rolled 3 (1d10)

>>44788705
>magic Fishing in the river 1d10 (Skill +Trait -Blind)
Doesn't shaman effect the out come? Use magic and fish with our family. We can't really afford to fail this. With the herders here and all. Our family can fish with us.
>>
Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d10)

>>44789130
I think we should ask Elia and his mrs to teach the herders to build huts while we do >>44788753
>>
>>44788705
Offer to show the herders some new building techniques, spruce up their accomodations. In a non-condescending way.
>>
>>44789187
You can use magic to improve your skill or luck or just directly bag you some fishies, but that's a separate roll after you've decided on your action.

Votes called and writing!
>>
>>44789358
Dead white and britfag
>>
This season, you end up spreading yourself much too thin. There's suddenly so much that needs to be done! Soqed needs a tribute if he's to train Sera; the herders need better homes; you need to fish to help your family survive until harvest time... You hastily gather your family and share the bad news with them. You need everyone at the river, bringing back enough fish for you to survive on. Your children are shocked at the thought they may go hungry, but Elia and Beren know you well enough that they aren't surprised. They've both suspected for some time that you've been going hungry from time to time, to ensure everyone else has enough to eat.

With everyone's help and a little of your magic, you manage to gather enough fish to survive, but nothing else gets done. You have no time to make any progress on Soqed's gift, or help the herders improve their homes, as you spend much of your time running back and forth and making scant progress in too many places to keep up.

Late fall comes and with it, the harvest. You've survived the last half-season, but not achieved anything else.

Your share of the harvest comes to 36 food, which is enough to feed your family until early fall next year, with one left over.

The herders are angry; they haven't received a portion of the harvest! Mesut immediately asks you to speak with him as soon as you possibly can.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Other
>>
>>44790119
Speak with mesut
Make tribute for soqed
>>
>>44790146
Please keep in mind that you don't need to double up your votes. If there is time in a turn, you can vote again for something to do.
>>
>>44790119
Bit confused here, Britfag.
We asked the family to fish (one anon voted to help with magic) and asked a part of the family to help us teach the herders to build huts while we mainly worked on Soqed's tribute.
Did nothing get done because of shit rolls?
Or do votes just not need 2+ for it to be done?
>>
>>44790119
>Speak with Mesut
>>
>>44790240
It's because you guys were so divided. The votes were all equal so Trym couldn't decide on any one thing to focus on. The only reason you got enough to eat is because you had everyone else helping you out.
>>
>>44790119
Talk with Mesut, we need to explain that since they are here on a trial basis to see if they want to join us then they should be made like family.

In the meantime I would say the family needs to gather more food again while we work on that tribute because we promised our little girl she would hunt with the best damn it.

Next season we can go ahead and work on the housing for the herders, if worse comes to worse they can bunk with us. Wouldn't be no different than before really.
>>
And there we are! Counting and writing!
>>
>>44790339
I thought it has always majority rules..
>Talking with Mesut
>>
Oh shit Mesut is angry because anons didn't warn him
>>
>>44790875
You do, but it was a three-way tie

Mesut is glowering at the fire as you enter. He nods to you and gestures for you to sit beside him. "You could have warned me the herders would be staying," he huffs, barely waiting for you to get settled. "What are you planning, Trym?"
"Is it a problem?" you ask, "So we not have enough grain for them?" If the herders are allowed to starve, that could destroy your hopes for a united tribe.
"We have a small amount spare," Mesut frowns, stirring the fire and sending a spray of sparks up into the smoke-shrouded ceiling of his hut, where they wink out like dying stars. "But barely. Why are they even here? Their clan is moving soon."
"They're guests," you explain, running your fingers over the carvings on your staff, resting across your lap. "Well no, for now they should be treated as part of the clan. They want to see if this life is better than their own."
"Why do I suspect you had a hand in this?" Mesut grunts and you suspect he is narrowing his eyes at you. "But you still haven't told me exactly why they're here. Why are they suddenly so curious? I know you went to visit them, Godspeaker; what can you tell strangers that you can't tell your own kin?"

He has you there... Everyone in your clan is part of the same very extended family. If you go back far enough, you and Mesut share a great-great-great-great grandfather, or similar. What will you do?

>Lie your ass off and invent some kind of story
>Tell him the truth about your plans
>Try and sell him on the idea so that he thinks inviting them was his idea that you enacted before he could even ask. 3d10 (Charisma)
>>
>>44791357
>>Tell him the truth about your plans
I think the third option is a trap.
>>
>>44791456
Whatever makes you think that~?

Okay, seriously? Some options will be hard, but outright TRAPS will be very clearly so, or else foreshadowed in advance. I'm never about to throw a huge setback or a lose condition on you without fair warning. That's a promise.
>>
>>44791357
>Tell him the truth about your plans

Near irresistible bait detected.
>>
>>44791357
"Soqed introduced me to a new god, a great god, one truly of humanity which then told, nay commanded me to unite the tribes, these are the results of my talks with the herders."

"I hope you will listen when i say that this is the beginning of a great thing. Think of what we've achieved with all of the people of our tribe then imagine two or three time their number working in harmony, bringing in a ever greater harvest which feeds all until the next harvest."

"I know you may not like this but we both worship the gods and fear their wrath but in this we gain far more than any offering we have ever gave before. We lose the threat of either of these two tribes fighting us for land or food, If we fail then we send them on their way but should this work, then we gain the favour of another god, something even you might one day need"
>>
>>44791357
>>
>>44791357
Cousin! We've been given a great quest, to bring together the tribes under one banner, one family. The gods themselves have seen some of our potential and wish to see what great works we can make if we were united together!
>>
There's some responses! Okay, typing away. Brace for imminent doom.
>>
File: prevented.jpg (66 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
prevented.jpg
66 KB, 666x666
>>44792599
It's over. We failed.
>>
File: Listen.jpg (11 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
Listen.jpg
11 KB, 273x184
>>44792599
>>
God it's fun to see you panic

"Cousin, I have received a purpose," you explain. There's no point in hiding your reasons; you'll need Mesut's help sooner or later anyway. "A new god revealed itself to me. This one isn't like the others; it's not from the wild places of the world. It's different... I could feel power within it. It told me to unite the clans, to bring them together in one tribe. Look at what we've achieved with the people of our clan alone! Now imagine two, or three times that number, working in harmony. No more scavenging to make do, but many strong hands bringing back timber, grain and meat; goats and even maybe aurochs kept tame and ready for the knife whenever we wished!"
"The gods told you this could be so?" frowned Mesut. "Cousin, the gods are strong, but what does this grant them? How can they know we will prosper when we have so many more to feed, to care for as if they were family? There are no ties to bind us to the Herders, or the Strangers."
"Then we will make them and even if we do not, by making them friends and one tribe, we lose the thread of them fucking us over land to grow grain, or animals to hunt. If we fail, we can send them on their way, but this will work and we will have gained the favour of another god, something that even you might one day need. I'm telling you, Mesut, this new god is not like the others. It favours us, favours humans. It is a god of unity and healing."

Mesut rubbed his chin and frowned. "I am still unsure, Trym, but I won't cause an upset over this. You know the gods better than I do. If the gods will it, then maybe they do have our interests at heart. If you can unite the clans by the will of the gods, then so be it. But to organise it will be your responsibility. I care for our clan, not for others."
>>
>>44793282
"And the grain?" you press.
Mesut waves his hand and sighs, "Yes yes, they have to eat. But we need something in return. You're all in favour of learning from one another, so you need to find out how they control and keep those goats of theirs. They're small, not too dangerous and provide meat and skins. If we have them, then we might perhaps be able to support this idea of yours."

The herders are fed from the stores. The clan isn't too happy at having to give up their emergency reserves for strangers and their animals, but the herders are grateful. The rift exists however and can only widen in worse circumstances.

It is still late fall. What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Other
>>
>>44793406
>>Bring more land under cultivation
I think our focus should be on this for now. We should also make an offering to the nature goddess so we have a better harvest next time so our tribe doesn't get butthurt with the newcomers.
>>
>>44793406
>>Make offerings to a god
Skull helmet for soqed
>>
>>44794176
Sure doesn't sound to bad. May as well get it out of the way, and have another source of food coming in soon.
I think it's a 2d10? But I'm not sure.
>>
>>44794176
Seconding
>>
Counted and writing. This will probably be the last for this thread.
>>
>>Make offerings to a god

"Soqed I have taken your life once, and then taken the castaways from your clan. I have done a great disservice to you and the Hunt. Now I ask one more favor, but this one comes with a gift. My Daughter, Sera, seeks to learn of the hunt and to find a strong Husband. I can think of no finer hunter, none of equal strength. She will bear you many strong sons to replace the weak that we have taken under our wing. Will you accept this offering?"
>>
>>44796669
Were not offering up our daughter as some thing.
I am not opposed to them being together. But we won't be offering our first born as a gift. We are making him an offering. And if he is willing he will train her for the helmet + wanting to possibly be closer to humans.
>>
>>44796669
Winter is the time of wolves and with it fast approaching, you elect to make your offerings to Soqed. You take the skull you so long ago lifted from his corpse and begin to fashion it into a cap. The bone is tough and hard to work, but you remove the jaw and hollow the skull, padding what is left so that it will sit easily on the head. It's largely ceremonial and with little practical use, given how fast you want it done, before the snows fall, but it looks fine enough and perhaps the return of his bones will please the wolf god. With it completed, you wait for Sera's 15th birthday to come and go, passing the time in celebration. Your daughter has started to show some womanly traits at long last and it is high time she learns what you cannot teach her.

You take Sera out to the sacred place one cold morning with the wind nipping at your skin. You lay the skull upon the crude altar there and speak the words that call to Soqed. "Mighty Soqed, god of the wolf pack, I call to you! This offering I make of bone once taken in the hunt. May it be returned and serve you well. I call as shaman, as godspeaker and as a huntsman. I ask your favour and a boon. Accept my offering, Soqed the great wolf. Accept it and hear my plea!" Your arms raised to the grey heavens above, you feel the prickle of magic, Soqed stepping from the wild to this world. He approaches the altar slowly, picking up the skull and turning it over in his hands.
"Hnnnh. Savage," he growls, "Worked well, but without true inspiration. What boon do you seek, godspeaker?"
>>
>>44797137
"For my daughter, not for me, I am blind and require you to teach her what I can not teach. To hunt, to track and in return I have made this offering."
>>
>>44797137
"My daughter, Sera," you explain to the looming god. It's un-nerving, but your touch-sight cannot discern him... You reach out with magic to see where he is and your touch is rebuked, as if slapped away. "She seeks to learn the ways of the hunt and help my clan live, but with my blindness, I cannot teach her. I can think of no finer hunter, none of equal strength than you. I ask that you accept her as part of the pack and teach her to hunt as you do."
"You ask a great deal, human," Soqed grumbles, "But still... I will accept, on the condition that every year on this day, you return and offer me the girl's weight in meat, threefold. Agree to this and I will teach her."
It is a heft price to pay, but you can already tell what will happen if you disagree with Sera in his care.
"Further," Soqed continues, "She shall leave with me at once. I have no patience for the frivolities of you humans. The pack moves and hunts without need for such things. And she shall not return until she has learned fully what she needs to."
"At once?" Sera laments quietly, "Without even a chance to say good-bye? But I could be gone for-"
"Save your breath, human," Soqed cuts her off. "This is my offer and your father knows that I do not haggle."

Will you accept?
>Yes. Sera will leave to start her training right away.
>Make no de- We've done that joke already, but you don't want to see Sera go.
>>
>>44797251
>>Yes. Sera will leave to start her training right away.
I'm no writefag, but be sure to say something loving and motivating to her before she goes. Also let her know the family will be rooting for her.
>>
>>44797251
"I may fail in many ways, but in this I can do good for you my daughter. Go with him, he can teach you more than most will ever know but don't worry of the cost I will find a way to cheapen the cost somewhere and somehow but he won't make this offer again"
>>
>>44797251
>>
>>44797251
>>Yes. Sera will leave to start her training right away

"Sera, I know parting with us is hard, but I believe with Soqed's teachings you will become a great hunter. So go, learn what you can, and return to us as the skilled hunter I know you can be."

>>44797528
Nigga, no, not in front of Soqed. He just said he does not haggle.
>>
>>44797251
This is going to be intresting. I assume this will only be until her training is done. We're really going to have to get our shit together, hunting wise.
AND Elia. Basically everything she doesn't eat in a year is all due at once every year.
We gotta up our magic. And start hunting with in the next year or two. Decent game anyway.
>>
>>44797851
This. Focus on expanding on our magic vision so we can actually hunt.
>>
>>44797786
I am trying to imply we have a plan/ we can think of a way to get that much food
>>
>>44798284
Just kill an aurochs
>>
>>44798674
We are still blind as all shit, even with our magic sight
>>
>>44798674
Were blind as shit. We have basically a sense of what is about 2 feet around us. So far, not even the best detail on that.
What we can do is focus on fishing with magic, expanding all of our magic. While getting more food for the family. So we can trade for meat. While working on magic at the same time.
Solves two problems with 1 thing.
But most of the year will be focused on that. Leaving us with possibly full 1 season a year to do something else. Possibly more if our children fish with us. And Elia throw in some meat when he gets the chance.

On a side note, I am surprised he still doesn't have a kid. Damn shame. But we should ask him to try and improve the sling or think of something better. Like working his way up to a bullshit bow or something.
Cause as he gets older shit will get harder eventually. And with a bow he could wreck shit, given his tenacity to training.
>>
>>44798708
He didn't really give us a time frame, we can wait till we see again
>>
>>44798959
"I will accept, on the condition that every year on this day, you return and offer me the girl's weight in meat, threefold." That looks like a pretty specific time-frame to me.
>>
>>44799242
Oh I thought it said one day
>>
Alright, called the votes and writing.
>>
There's no time, not enough time for anything. You beckon Sera over to you and she embraces you tightly, surprised tears rolling down her cheeks. Your own throat feels tight, but you push past it to try and say something encouraging.
"Sera-" You draw a breath as you realise how much emotion has crept into your voice and start again. "Sera, I know parting is hard. I'm going to miss you, but I know you're going to make me proud. I'm sorry I can't teach you myself, but I believe with Soqed's instruction, you will become skilled and great. I'll explain everything to your mother and sister and to Noh as well. I'll always love you, daughter. Now go with the wolf and be everything you can."
You cannot stop a few tears from spilling from your sightless eyes at the end. Sera gently wipes them away and kisses your cheek. "I'll learn everything I can, da. I'll be back before you know it. Please, just... Look after yourself while I'm gone, won't you?"
"I will, daughter," you nod, patting her head and standing. You turn your head to Soqed, who has been standing, waiting for you to finish. "You'll ensure no harm comes to her."
"I will not promise that," Soqed replies. "She will be one of the pack and all that entails. If she fails... But as long as you keep up YOUR end of the agreement, I will not harm her and neither will the pack." He glances down at Sera and sniffs. "This way, pup. grab onto my arm and don't let go, or I'll lose you in the crossing."

You wish you could have seen your daughter's face, as you feel her look back at you one last time, before the magic takes hold, and she and Soqed vanish into the wild, leaving you alone in the grove, your heart strangely heavy.
>>
>>44800572
yeah, I feel that feel. D:
>>
>>44800572
Shot through the Heart...

Man this is gonna be heavy, best we explain it to her mum first... Maybe we could take our god born baby and have her mum teach ehr some things? free's up more time and possibility to gather food for the offering to come.
>>
>>44800611
Oh you have not even begun to feel. Wait until you find out what I have planned...

But that's enough for tonight. Next thread will be on Monday! I'm glad you all stuck around in spite of my personal problems. I'll do my best to make sure your trust wasn't misplaced in future.

I hope you all enjoyed the thread and until next time, stay safe.

Any questions before I go?
>>
>>44800763
Thanks for running! Question: How do the herders feel about our tamed wolves?
>>
>>44800763
What is your perfect Sunday afternoon?
>>
>>44800787
Actually quite friendly. You glimpsed wolf-dogs among their camp, so they must have domesticated them like you have.

>>44800836
Warm sunshine, a light breeze, someone I love to cuddle with, fresh-baked bread and butter and freedom from fear and worry.

I've never had a perfect Sunday afternoon.
>>
>>44801357
Whoa. That's deep man. We all know that feel. Honestly though, this might sound corny, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to just try to make every week better than the last, every day doesn't have to be perfect, but just keep aiming to have a good week. Again, that might sound corny, and may over simplify the situation, but I figure I should share what worked for me when I was fucked up.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.