[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 2000px-I-5E.svg.png (168 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-I-5E.svg.png
168 KB, 2000x2000
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

I want to make a "clerical error" pun so badly, but I don't know how. Please help.
>>
>>44773711
Just use the term clerical error in any situation that includes clerics.
>>
Could Umberlee turn sailors undead?

For example, would it make sense if she punished a ship with a stowaway priestess of Umberlee by causing them to get lost in fog and then resurrecting the sailors when they've killed each other out of madness?
>>
>>44773776
I kind of want to run a one-shot set on a giant boat now.
>>
>>44773864
Berserk: The PnP RPG?
>>
>>44773711
OP, fucking up and put 5eg in the title for once.
>>
>>44773864
That's my plan. I'm having the ghost ship blocking the port at Baldur's Gate. The party has to board the ship to find out what's going on and/or collect taxes.

I'm still not sure what to do with the priestess. Have her turn into an undead as well? Have her be an angry ghost? Have her still be alive through some blessing?
>>
>>44773903
Whoops, shit, should I delete and remake the thread?
>>
File: Scout Character Sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Scout Character Sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Can the thread please be uncharacteristically kind and help me come up with some good RP fluff for my scout?

I have made this character sheet 3rd level because I am projecting my character build a bit to help me try to come up with a backstory. Could he be a soldier from a mercenary garrison outside Neverwinter, owned by a Neverwinter Noble who is hired out by the city to supplement their dwindling militia? And now my character's contract with the garrison has ended, and so he has decided to answer the Lord's Alliance call for adventurers?

What would be a good name for him? Does he have an Illuskan ethnic background? Maybe he was raised on a farm and spent his days dodging his alcoholic father by living staying out with the cattle and protecting them from wolves/thieves with his bow?

I like playing 5e and want to try the scout but I am not good at making backstories. I want this character to really shine. Anyone have any good art?

Please don't call me a faggot.
>>
>>44774242
The best way to think about back stories is that you want some stuff to be unresolved. You want to not know who murdered your parents, you want to find that asshole who stole a family heirloom, you want to find out what that seer meant when she gave an omen upon your birth. Or if not something obvious like that, you want your character to have a long-term goal of some sort. Maybe they want to buy back the farm that had been illegally taken from your family. Maybe you want to return a loved one to life (or at least say goodbye to their spirit). You want something that the DM can make some plot with.

It's fine to just be a regular guy who became an adventurer too! You're allowed to form your motivations based upon where the campaign is headed. Maybe you flub a roll and something interesting happens from that in your first session. Turn that into a character flaw.
>>
>>44774455
>The best way to think about back stories is that you want some stuff to be unresolved. You want to not know who murdered your parents, you want to find that asshole who stole a family heirloom, you want to find out what that seer meant when she gave an omen upon your birth. Or if not something obvious like that, you want your character to have a long-term goal of some sort. Maybe they want to buy back the farm that had been illegally taken from your family. Maybe you want to return a loved one to life (or at least say goodbye to their spirit). You want something that the DM can make some plot with.
Damn, that's good advice. Never heard it put quite like that. Thanks!
>>
Want you guys' input. I just bought some "minis" from this site:

http://anwo.com/store/animal-toy-mini-good-luck-miniatures.htm

I needed some giant crab minis (there are none) so I'm gonna buy some from these guys and glue them to bases. Some of you might find some use out of it as well, so I thought I'd share.
>>
File: 1260786277403.jpg (46 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1260786277403.jpg
46 KB, 150x150
Anyone a part of Adventurers League? What do you think of the changes? Here's a short list:

>Adventures are no longer provided for free to stores or their DMs
>No longer having Encounters and Expeditions as categories
>Please buy our adventures on our website
>You don't have to go to your FLGS to do organized play
>But your DMs get nothing for DMing for randos
>>
File: 1442221565121.jpg (126 KB, 1024x744) Image search: [Google]
1442221565121.jpg
126 KB, 1024x744
Is Storm Sorcerer worth playing, even with the nerfs?
>>
>>44774862

Sounds like they're trying to kill it.
>>
>>44774884
What nerfs?
>>
File: ss (2016-01-14 at 11.28.56).png (22 KB, 281x212) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-14 at 11.28.56).png
22 KB, 281x212
>>44774948
They removed the bonus spells in the SCAG.
>>
File: 1267619737549.jpg (21 KB, 474x328) Image search: [Google]
1267619737549.jpg
21 KB, 474x328
>>44774919
I can't think of any other reason but this. Which is sad since that's how I've been getting a lot of new players at my store.
>>
>>44774862
eh, the AL adventures kinda sucked anyway
>>
File: 1266641718078.png (146 KB, 324x328) Image search: [Google]
1266641718078.png
146 KB, 324x328
>>44775001
i'll fite u mate
A few good gems but a lot of crap.
>>
>>44775023
>A few good gems

point them out to me
>>
Okay, so which homebrew race (or any race, really) should l include in my Arabian Nights' setting?
From most common to rarest, here's what l have in mind:
>Dwarves, proud sultans and lords of giant cities
>Humans, workers and warriors, live close with the dwarves
>Elves, mystics and hunters of the desert, usually live far from other races. Half-elves are fated to live with humans
>Dragonborns, once honourable warriors, now lazy and fat kings of golden cities
>Loxodons, ancient and wise hermits

Orcs, halflings, tieflings and gnomes are either too rare or too distant. What can l use to replace some of them?
>>
>>44775090
Genasi? For obvious reasons?
>>
File: 1251942175587.jpg (28 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1251942175587.jpg
28 KB, 256x256
>>44775058
Tales Trees Tell
Eye of the Tempest
Cloaks and Shadows
It's All In the Blood

Just like with coffee your tastes may vary.
>>
>>44775090
Warforged, noble scions of DEUS VULT, there to remove all the Saracens.
>>
>>44774804
You still haven't found crab minis huh. Still. Just cut out a picture of a crab and stick it on a little base. Jesus bro.
>>
>>44774455
>>44774242
This doesn't seem to be very common for some reason, but I always run a character creation session so back stories, "how I met your mother" introductions and setting details can be discussed as a group.

It works pretty well in my experience.
>>
>>44775309

I got 'em now. That site has some little cute hermit crabs, and a fellow player in one of my groups is going to 3D print me out some bases and I'm gonna super glue those fucking crabs onto the bases and be DONE.

Then watch. In three months someone's gonna make a whole D&D animal mini set with a badass looking giant crab and I'm gonna be pissed.
>>
>>44775416
>hermit crab
You people have a gay name for them. We call them turbo snails in my country.
>>
Stupid question: If I have the magic item Staff of Swarming Insects and use it to cast Giant Insect, it uses up my concentration, right? I mean, it'd be great if the staff did the concentrating so I could concentrate on something else, but I doubt I could be so lucky.
>>
Why is there no feat to gain Darkvision? It could grant Darkvision out to 60 ft., or if you already have Darkvision, it would increase it to 120 ft. Would this be broken?
>>
>>44775527
People can't learn to see in the dark, silly
:^)
>>
>>44775579
Skulker feat disagrees. :)
>>
>>44775526
If an item lets you cast a spell, you are the one concentrating on it.
>>
>>44775579
Yea, and people can't learn to be lucky, either. WTF devs
>>
File: Feat.jpg (37 KB, 625x178) Image search: [Google]
Feat.jpg
37 KB, 625x178
>>44775527
Also, you could simply pay a high level wizard to cast Darkvision on you, then make it permanent with a Permanency spell. I don't think Permanency exists in 5e, but it's a well known and well used spell in past editions, and it exists in Faerun, clearly (it's used in the books and the Campaign Setting), so the DM could allow you access to it, for a large fee.
>>
Why is the SRD incomplete? That's dumb as hell and useless as an SRD.
>>
>>44775795
Because it's meant for people to use to publish stuff based on or derived from 5e and not for people to play 5e for free.
>>
>>44775819
Then it's not actually an SRD is it?
>>
So I'm going to gift my players a Keep, but they're gonna have to work for it. Does anyone have a good castle/keep map on hand that they can clear and eventually use for themselves a la Walking Dead Prison Arc?
>>
>>44775917
Check the Princes of the Apocalypse maps in the Mega. Riverside Keep and Feathergale Spire are pretty good, so is the Stone Monastery or whatever.
>>
>>44775856
"System Reference Document" is a term that Wizards made up for 3e and the OGL, and that's missing even more stuff than the 5e one is (like experience tables and wealth-by-level, something important to running 3e at all).
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (47 KB, 458x208) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
47 KB, 458x208
Someone was talking about the Scout earlier, and I was wondering about this. Couldn't this feature simply read: "Expend a superiority die and gain advantage on the skill check"? I see the die as a resource, and expending them, even if you don't always roll them, is just as costly. And there's less math!
>>
>>44776342
A numerical bonus is stronger, especially because it can stack with advantage from other sources. It's fine imo.
>>
>>44776342

>Adding a single extra die is "Too much math"

The 5e target audience
>>
File: 1428348018563.jpg (56 KB, 436x375) Image search: [Google]
1428348018563.jpg
56 KB, 436x375
What's /tg/s favorite type of 5e rouge (if it has one)
when I browsed the generals right after it came out it was assassin i think, but browsing some of the more recent threads people are recommending arcane trickster.
I can't run swashbuckler since the DM hasn't read the SCAG, sadly.
my other character idea in mind is a tiefling bard or warlock but that's kind of meh.
>>
>>44776736

>I can't run swashbuckler since the DM hasn't read the SCAG, sadly.

Send the fuckwit the PDF, it's super short
>>
File: 1406602841854.jpg (18 KB, 264x292) Image search: [Google]
1406602841854.jpg
18 KB, 264x292
>>44776763
is the archetype interesting enough for me to do that, though? I've never rolled a rouge before, being foreverDM and i really just wanted to try something actually fun out for my first time, and reading the classes on paper the only thing that seems boring is thief, but I don't know how that transfers into actually playing, obviously.

I'm also coming in late to the campaign, so it seems like a dick thing to add.
>>
>>44776736
A dex based fighter with proficiency in thieves tools.
>>
>>44774862
Sounds like they're just trying to get rid of the program in the most passive aggressive way possible and I don't understand why.

But I think they should allow for more innate higher level adventures.
>>
>>44776736
Arcane trickster's the most fun IMO. Having a familiar and booming blade is great.
>>
The wizard in my group just turned 15th level and they picked Clone and Demiplane as their spells. He then explained that using the two together, he'd now become immortal and nothing could threaten him.

I'm a level 15 Fighter. How do I kill him?
>>
>>44777419
Anti-magic field?
>>
>>44777043
WotC has been shitting the bed recently with its public policy between D&D and Magic.

It's kind of annoying. They make good products but they have difficulty supporting them.
>>
HAven't played any rpg since 2011.

5e looks nice so I just picked the core set from amazon, are the adventures any good? which one should I get Rage of demons, elemental evil or tyranity of dragons?
>>
>>44773937
Umberlee's worshippers openly refer to her as the Bitch Queen, I think as long as it is in someway cruel and having to do with the sea, it works.
>>
>>44777587
Out of the Abyss and Princes of the Apocalypse are solid

don't care for Tyranny of Dragons myself, too railroady for my tastes.
>>
>>44777419
Petrify him, his clone won't go online that way.
If your EK you could use a scroll of flesh to stone, or test your hand at taiming a cockatrice/gorgon, get a medusa waifu. Up to your DM really.
>>
>>44777419
Do he have 3000 gold? Does he have 120 days to wait? Because that technique would require both.

So yeah. Just hit him with a sword before he can do it.

After he does it? You'd need to get someone who can cast demiplane to see him cast it.

Again, his technique require the expenditure of a 1,000 gold each time he dies.
>>
Uhhh, Do I understand it correctly that find steed would let me use a bear or a dire wolf or a mammoth as a mount, as long as the DM is okay with it?
>>
Fuck gnolls
>>
File: Early retirement.png (8 KB, 369x68) Image search: [Google]
Early retirement.png
8 KB, 369x68
>literally SWIMMING in cents
I'm gonna go and buy myself a DnD gf.

See you poor fucks on the other side.
>>
>>44777990
Yep.
>>
File: get on my fucking level.png (21 KB, 370x142) Image search: [Google]
get on my fucking level.png
21 KB, 370x142
>>44778101
Sorry, poorfriend. :^)
>>
>>44778122
What the hell, I really feel like there should be some limitations there, especially since my DM's a retard.
>>
>>44775819
So I can use anything published by wizards in the dm guild right? What about UA?
>>
>>44777990
Normally that sort of thing is implied in any situation, but I never realized it was actually in the text of the spell.
>>
>>44778191
The limit is the DM. Nobody is going to let you use a mammoth as a mount at 5th level
>>
>>44775770
Permanency isn't around because it's a bitch to balance, eventually having some people use it on every beneficial effect they could stack on themselves.
They just didn't want to include any spells with potential loopholes or hard to balance.
Didn't stop my DM from giving a villian sorcerer ennervation.
>>
>>44775770
>>44778349
Some spells can be made permanent via special means, like casting it at a certain level or casting it over and over again for a year. I think this is their approach to Permanency in 5th edition.

If you want permanent darkvision, just get a magic item that does it. Pretty sure there's more than one item in the DMG that gives darkvision. That's far less likely to open any "break the game" floodgates than Permanency.
>>
Want Darkvision as a human? Just give a Shadovar agent a pack of menthol Kools and get your eyes shined senpai.
>>
>>44777650
While Out of the Abyss and Princes of the Apocalypse are way too un-linear for the average GM to use on the fly; the information is all over the place and they're both like sandbox games.
>>
>>44778535
Keep Riddick out of this.
>>
>>44777587
Thy released a Baldur's Gate supplement which is really good and works with 3.5, 4e, or 5e. I started DMing again recently and I've used the setting book to great advantage.
>>
Arew there any good homebrewed ways to concretely earn inspiration?
>>
I want to play a kind of "cocky badass" unarmed, unarmored warrior who's all cool and flashy. Would it unbalance the monk to just base all the abilities that are based on Wisdom on Charisma instead and then refluff the background? Or is there a better way to do this?
>>
>>44779053

>switching wisdom to charisma

that's a great way to make monk even worse
>>
>>44779053
It would be cooler to make your own subclass, which you can then sell to WoTC for the monies.
>>
>>44779050
Whenever the party takes the long rest, the DM randomly selects someone who doesn't have inspiration and hasn't earned it this session and says, "tell me a story about your character's past." When the story, which only needs to be a minute or two long, is over, other players are allowed to ask questions. After answering them, the player picks the favorite question that was asked. Then the player who told the story and the one who asked the chosen question both get inspiration.

It may sound weird, but it works really well.
>>
>>44778645
for a beginner GM maybe
>>
>>44779139
Yeah I watch West Marches too anon.
>>
>>44777611
Yeah, I think it'll be Umberlee's way of punishing the runaway priestess: bring them back against their will, regardless of whether or not they're alive.
>>
>>44779088

I was about to say that "you lose on saves, but gain on skills" but then I remembered that wis is also for perception.

So yeah, pretty apt.
>>
>>44779181
I've never heard of that. My DM found it on some blog with alternate ways of handling inspiration.
>>
>>44779205
It's a rule in testing on the youtube show West Marches.
>>
>>44779088
Hadn't thought of that.
>>44779104
Eh.

Basically I want to make a character inspired by pro wrestling without being all silly and blatant with it. Backstory idea is he was forced to fight in unarmed cage fights for a bunch of nobles, and being entertaining was just as important as being good.
>>
>>44775361

For my latest 5e game, I ruled that each member of the party had o already know at least one other party member.

It worked well enough; The rogue and the warlock were both natives of the town, and the monk and the fighter were old war buddies who'd met the cleric during their travels.
>>
>>44778101
>you poor fucks
I'm afraid it is you who is poor, friend.

>>44778167
I doff my hat to you, sir.
>>
DM Advice, go!

One of my players (a Druid) is wrecking house with Wildshape and Moonbeam. The last fight against the BBEG's henchman the group fought got its shit kicked in BY THE POWER OF THE MOON before it could even threaten the party.

How do I give the other players (one Fighter, one Mage) a chance to shine without arbitrarily rendering the Druid's tactics useless?

I figured I would just put a roof over most of the set piece battles, but that still feels like I'm just dicking over the Druid and her strategy with that.

Everyone's having fun with the game so far, but I still want to be able to give the Fighter and Mage a few opportunities to be as heroic as their spell-slinging werewolf friend.
>>
>>44779333
19+ sales? Not bad.
>>
>>44778167
>>44778101
>>44779333
Where are you all making money that it's D&D related? Or have I stumbled into an alternate universe where /tg/ and /biz/ are one and the same?

Not trying to be a smartass. I genuinely have no idea.
>>
>>44779388
http://www.dmsguild.com/

>>44779381
I just wish more people would leave reviews. I always feel better about my material after I have people point out problems and flaws that I can correct.
>>
>>44779388
http://www.dmsguild.com

Wizards released a 5e SRD under OGL a few days ago and has a shop powered by the DrivethruRPG guys for releasing homebrewed/3rd-party content. The shop gives the benefit of exposure and the ability to use Wizards IPs in your product (only FR for the time being), but at the cost of exclusivity and all the content you put on DMs Guild being available for unrestricted use by other creators on the site (a pseudo-OGL).
>>
>>44779388
The last line of the OP might shed some light.
>>
>>44779357
Have them fight something with resistance to radiant?
>>
File: that is actually better.png (149 KB, 400x291) Image search: [Google]
that is actually better.png
149 KB, 400x291
>>44779510

I swear, I'm smarter than this most days. Bless you, anon, and your mental clarity.
>>
>>44779510
Only in-book options are angels and the coatl. The angels are all incredibly brutal, so there's not a whole lot of options.
>>
>>44779663
Give radiance resistance to things that seem like it should have it, but doesn't, like unicorns.

If the players complain, say that the MM is a guideline and not the ultimate authority.
>>
>>44779663
Technically there's also Helmed Horrors. While not resistant to radiant, it solves the Moonbeam problem.

Or just find an enemy in the book you like, think of a reason to have it be resistant to radiant damage and badabing.
>>
>>44779663
Bear-Barb villain.

Bear-Barbs are pretty useful to make villains out of. to be honest. And it doesn't take much effort to force an encounter with them, what with them being raging hulks of muscle.
>>
>>44779381
>>44779445
...uh.

Apparently, the number in your Sales Report only counts people who actually paid money for it.

Huh.
>>
File: What the fuck.png (12 KB, 326x26) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck.png
12 KB, 326x26
>>44779767
And I forgot the screencap like an idiot.
>>
>>44779767
It definitely needs a better analytics and title manage interface. I submitted that via the little "how can we improve?" box in the lower right of the page, I hope they actually take that seriously.
>>
are you guys using copyrighted art in your pdfs? how do they prevent that shit? seems ripe for legal fuckery
>>
>>44779869
There is literally no review process for DMs Guild, it's basically on an honor system at the moment. And yes, it's ripe for legal fuckery.
>>
>>44779869
Use free use art; in google images, click on the usage rights dropdown in the search tools menu, and select labeled for reuse.
>>
>>44779937
>>44779869
Just don't forget to site your sources on the bottom in some way.
>>
>>44779869
I actually cut all the art from my PDF before I put it up. I might re-add some later, but all the stuff I get from a "labeled for reuse" search is crap.
>>
>>44779968
MLA format was here, Chicago a shit
>>
Clearly the answer is to start pushing /tg/ drawthreads super-hard.
>>
>>44779357
Dispel Magic. Rangers with crossbows. Break the drude's concentration.
>>
>>44780021
Makes sense to pair brewers and drawfags up. A spreadsheet where people list what art they need or something.
>>
>>44780172
It would have to be some sort of shared paypal account, because payment goes to one paypal.
>>
>>44779906
>>44779937
>>44779968
>>44780015
>>44780021
>>44780172

As an artist that operates online, I have to say that /tg/s willingness to respect artists warms the cockles of my heart.
>>
>>44780211
Every board loves drawfags except for /i/ and /ic/ ironically.
>>
>>44780194
Either that or you just trust whoever submits it to divvy it up right, unless there's some sort of automated system that could do that.
That highly revolves on people trusting eachother, though.
>>
>>44780211
Oh, absolutely. I'm actually commissioning a shitload of art for my homebrew setting, and I've done a lot of record-keeping and math to make sure that I don't screw him by paying too little.

For race design, four single-character piece of the race's members, and then a reference sheet for the race, I pay him something like $750.
>>
>>44779357
Spread enemies out to avoid the 5' radius beam of death
Throw in a few enemies who can break concentration with ranged attacks
>>
>>44780211
It's hard not to when good art helps a document out so much. Well formatted text only gets you so far.

I'm making a system as my final year university project and the amount of art I need to get from somewhere is terrifying
>>
Do attacks with improvised weapons count as weapon attacks for purposes of a battle master fighter's maneuvers, if I have proficiency with improvised weapons due to the tavern brawler feat?
>>
>>44780326
Either spend a fuckload on a commission artist or start practicing.
>>
>>44780418
Even if you don't have proficiency with them, yes.
>>
>>44780443
Thanks.

Supposing I'm starting at level 3, is variant human (I have to be a human) Fighter 3, Battlemaster, with the Tavern Brawler feat at level one and spending my gold on shit like bags of caltrops and ball bearings, bear traps, flasks of oil and torches, rope, 10-foot poles, and so on, a good way to go if I want to be the "dirty fighter who always has a backup plan" archetype?
>>
Has there been any word or ruling on how Scout and Cavalier's Combat Superiority interact with Martial Adept's superiority dice?
>>
>>44780773
You have superiority dice, so you gain another one, and learn two battlemaster maneuvers.
>>
File: 1451947940313.jpg (23 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1451947940313.jpg
23 KB, 400x267
>>44774884

>Sorcerer in 5e
>worth playing

Just roll Wizard or Cleric.
>>
>>44780892
>Being this wrong
>Being smug about it
>>
Wouldn't a human scout be better off taking Magic Initiate and grabbing a couple cantrips and find familiar? An owl would be a great ally for a scout. They can even flyby to grant you advantage on your next shot. With all the feats fighters have access to, you could have 20 dex and sharpshooter by level 8 anyway.
>>
>>44779234
I think there's a gladiator background/subclass/something in the SCAG
>>
>>44781197
It's actually an alternative to the entertainer background in the regular PHB.
>>
>>44779357
How exactly are they wrecking with Moonbeam? It deals a fairly small amount of damage and has a small aoe. Do you play in areas with tons of choke points and against enemies with no ranged attacks?
>>
>>44776936
>I've never rolled a rouge before
Mortar and pestle, talc and cochineal beetles. Render into fine powder. Apply to cheeks.
>>
>>44781539
>Cast moonbeam
>Enter beast mode for sick Con saves
>Give motherfuckers a wicked moon tan while going ape on them
>>
/tg/ what are some oneshot concepts you've had fun with in 5e?
>>
>>44781647
You're still not explaining why enemies don't just move out of the beam. Or why they're so tightly packed that this does anything other than cause moderate damage to one enemy. Or just gang up on the moon druid because it has shit AC if it's using its Concentration for Moonbeam instead of Barkskin.
>>
I want to play a non-magical warrior who fights dirty as hell. Pocket sand (or pocket ground-up-glass), caltrops, using strong booze and a torch for a cone of fire effect, and improvised weapons all day every day.

Tavern Brawler will give me proficiency with improvised weapons. Is there any way to increase the damage from throwing an improvised weapon above 1d4 + proficiency bonus (without magic)?

Any other tips for making this as viable as possible?
>>
>>44781702
Battlemaster maneuvers would boost the damage slightly, but that's all I can think of.
>>
>>44781729
>battlemaster maneuvers
>pushing attack
>throw a book and hit an enemy in the head, causing him to stumble backwards off a cliff to his death
That's fucking amazing.
>>
>>44781702
Instead of just improvised weapons, I'd do some cheeky shit like take base Fighter-Battlemaster and Tavern Brawler (unless you want the cool unarmed shit Monk provides), get Disarming Strike and steal your opponent's weapons (that you're proficient with because of the Fighter base) all day erry day. Improvised weapons are your fall-back.
>>
Anyone know where I can get a hold of the magic item certificates? I want to use them in my game.
>>
>>44781698
You can move the Moonbeam to anywhere within sixty feet of the caster on your turn. Every time the enemies move away, she just moves the beam to still be on top of them.

Quote from the Spell List: "On each of your turns after you cast this spell, you can use an action to move the beam 60 feet in any direction."
>>
>>44781805
You'd still have to pick the weapon up after they drop it at their feet.
>>
I'm throwing together a 50 room mega dungeon for my party that's all just random rooms of challenge.

Anyone have any interesting traps, puzzles, or encounters they think would be fun to add?
>>
>>44781702
>Any other tips for making this as viable as possible?
Magic initiate for burning hands. Refluff as your booze-breath.

You aren't going to get all of this as part of a single class or archetype, and it's not going to be easy to pull off. My initial recommendation is swashbuckler Rogue and then fluff your Rakish Audacity as being an underhanded asshole rather than a charming one.

There are no published materials, save for Blade Bard in the UA, that increase the effectiveness of thrown weapons, and that doesn't work with improvised weapons.
>>
>>44781845
Yeah, but that's a free action since you're performing the disarm on your turn and have your hands free.
>>
>>44781780
> melee weapon attack
Read the book, idiot.
>>
>>44781905
Pushing attack is just weapon, not melee weapon.
>>
>>44781905
>When you hit a creature with a weapon attack
Pushing attack says nothing about melee. Why don't you read the book, idiot?
>>
>>44781811
If they use an action then they likely aren't attacking. It's not a bonus action.
>>
File: Sonja.png (718 B, 32x32) Image search: [Google]
Sonja.png
718 B, 32x32
>>44781853
>>
>>44781853
A room with two Minotaur guarding the exit, they argue with each other and will only let the party pass when they solve a riddle
>>
File: grimtooths book of traps.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
grimtooths book of traps.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44781853

The whole dungeon was created by an epic-level Warlock of the Great Old Ones. The mage is completely off his meds and trying to merge every universe into one, creating the dungeon where nothing belongs and nothing makes sense.

In the end, you fight the Warlock, and he's stylized himself after a stage magician. On each of his turns, he removes his hat and pulls out some sort of unspeakable horror like Greater Demons, Mimics, or even a new dungeon to escape to.

At the very end of the fight, he reveals that the entire adventure was all an elaborate illusion, he really is a simple street performer, and your party just got mindfreaked. The guy then asks for a donation so he can continue to perform his act without having to pay union fees.
>>
Just FYI, all the pregen characters that WotC uploaded on DMs Guild are the same ones you can find in a .zip in the Mega.
>>
File: 1451962542100.png (557 KB, 1574x1794) Image search: [Google]
1451962542100.png
557 KB, 1574x1794
>>44781853
>>
>>44781853
What you could do is make one section of the dungeon filled with poisonous sludge water than flows through that section and eventually flows into a sort of contaminated reservoir of some sort. The poison both deals damage and leaves a long lasting poison effect on the party member if they fall in.

Lots of undead with a special poison save upon hitting enemies should fill this area and most fights would take place upon narrow walkways and bridges and junk of that sort to maximize risk of exposure. Trip wires, pit fall traps, and poison dart traps can also be implemented into this.
>>
>Try to update files on DMs Guild
>New file doesn't appear
>Old file stays up
>Just add two extra copies of the new file
>Still doesn't appear
>Wrestle with this bullshit for an hour
>Old file still up
>New file still not
The fuck.
>>
>>44781853
An upside down room, no real challenge beyond a simple climb check, with some stuff on the "floor" that still works in reverse when taken out of the room. Later on have a room with a button on the ceiling that has to be held down in order to open a sealed door.
>>
>>44781986
>first 5 traps all have the potential to be TPK's
dam son
>>
>>44782238
It will be an important lesson for them.
>>
What are your thoughts on Warlocks in 5e /tg/? Was thinking Great Old One patron with Pact of the Blade. Really friendly charismatic mother fucker (think Marcus from Babylon 5). Noble background probably? Am I setting myself up to be terrible /tg/?
>>
>>44782310
/tg/ tends to hate on them, but everyone I've talked to outside /tg/ loves them, so take the class as you will.
>>
>>44782238
That's basically the whole point of the book.
>>
>>44782310
They're treated as a walking cantrip, and rightfully so. Eldritch Blast with the proper evocation power-ups is the best damaging cantrip in the game. You can still have fun with the class, though, as with any other.
>>
What are some interesting motivations for a druid villain? The concept seems neat but I can't think of anything other than
>civilisation bad
>>
>>44782408
Pact of the Blade not really worth it then? For whatever reason I like the idea of never being "unarmed". Like, I can walk into a meeting with a noble and never really lack for a weapon. I mean, saying it now it seems dumb because herp derp magic, but still. The other two pacts are a familiar and a spellbook.
>>
>>44782448
A beastshaping druid that hunts the most dangerous game?
>>
>>44782448
>just a horrible person who waits for people to wander into the forest then turns into a bear and mauls them
>likes the comforts of civilization despite hating people, and so is stocking up shitloads of treasure in order to buy a castle and hire servants, but is getting the treasure by hurting people
>the place for domesticated city folks is the cities, and those who leave their rightful place ought to be reminded of what the wild can be like
>>
>>44782448

>parasitic fungus clouds their brain
>hates nature, became druid to understand enemy and better destroy it
>smokey the bear saw some shit and went wild, purge world in flames
>furry wants to yiff entire world
>>
>>44774046

No, it's only a minor inconvenience. Salty just polices this thread making sure it's got all the parts he likes and tells everyone with minor questions to just read the book.

The proper response is to just say
>Salty pls go

You can tell it's him by his super edgy use of the fuck word.
>>
>>44774242

Did you make that character sheet or find it somewhere? I really enjoy it.
>>
File: sah.jpg (93 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
sah.jpg
93 KB, 1080x720
Dudes,

Want to run a maritime campaign. Can't really find anything in the books that have rules for swimming with armor. Thinking of making some myself.

Anyone know of rules anywhere I can reference?
>>
>>44782498
Pact of the Blade is fine, if I ever make a Warlock I plan on going that route as well. You'll just want something to back it up, like the Extra Attack evocation and some decent armor since you're now in melee range. Having a decent Str score would help too.
>>
>>44782448
>>44782509
The druid was an adventurer who fought off bandits, transforming regularly into tigers and wolves. However, the taste of blood refused to leave him, and the hunger grew. Throw in something about being corrupted by fiends masquerading as nature spirits, maybe team him up with some evil lycanthropes, and a town next to some woods and there you go.
>>
>>44782310
My advice? Stay mobile, stay at the edge of your eldritch blast range whenever possible with expeditious retreat, and between fiendish vigor and ennervating blast, martials will feel objectively inferior in all scenarios that aren't a 30x30 square room with no exits.

They're stupid fun.
>>
>>44782618
There are no rules, because 5e doesn't care. You can swim at half your movement speed regardless.
>>
>>44782618
Not sure about UA but in the PHB the movement penalty for wearing heavy armor without enough strength is pretty much it. Nice and concise.
>>
So I have a question about two different character concepts and am curious how viable they are.

The first is how viable is a non-ranger dedicated archer. Specifically but not necessarily a fighter. I find the idea of a ranged battlemaster or eldrich knight (arcane archer?) to be kinda neat but I'm curious if it runs fine without all that shit that makes rangers own bows so well (shitloads of arrow spells, hunters mark, colossus slayer)

The second is a strength ranger. So like a guy who runs around in a breastplate or halfplate with a greatsword or a pair of axes but still knows all about nature and tracking. Is it a waste of the class, would it just be better to play a barbarian or a fighter with the outlander background?
>>
fun low level magical items?
>>
>>44782898
potion of healing
>>
>>44782898
Bag of tricks.
>>
>>44782857
Crossbows may be better than bows because Crossbow Expert is amazing, but aside from that, the ranged fighter is awesome.

It probably would be better to play the fighter than the ranger in the latter case, too, unless you want the magic.
>>
>>44782618
Waterborne UA has a "Mariner" fighting style that guarantees you a swim speed if you're not wearing medium or heavy armor.

That's all you're gonna get for specifics.
>>
>>44782653
I was figuring my pact blade would mostly be a rapier; it's a Finesse weapon so I can double dip on Dex since I only start with Light Armor proficiency. I could go human instead of Half-Elf and move up to Medium I guess (which would also get me shields, but conflict with spell casting until I get the War Caster feat). Limits my options on weapons, but also fits the kind of swash bucklery persona I'm going for.

>>44782696
I was honestly hoping to avoid being a ranged blaster (my last character was a 4e blaster type druid), but I'll keep that in mind if going toe-to-toe doesn't work out well.
>>
>>44783028
Warlocks are a little light on hit dice and armor, and a rapier's gonna put you right in the thick of things. I understand that that's where you wanna be, but you'll be a bit more vulnerable than a similarly-situated fighter, paladin, or even Monk.

Last time I played a bladelock, I generally had my pact weapon appear as a whip. Reach is fun times.
>>
>>44782310
Sound solid to me. The big question is if you think you will have fun with that character in your setting. If yes then your set. Of course there are better ways to optimize warlock like previous posters have hinted at but as is will work just fine.

Personally I've been playing a fiend tomelock recently and having a blast with it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (354 KB, 366x997) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
354 KB, 366x997
Things I dislike: Adventurer Eggs. That is to say, characters that just spring into being apropos nothing, with limited backstories at best. I find that even when creating high-level characters, most people don't seem to take into account things like "how my character actually got to 7th level" or whatnot.

A mere "character background" idea doesn't really cut it since most of those only cover up until the character first went adventuring - so what about all the time between level 1 and level 7? What did you do to get that experience? Who did you meet? Did you make friends? Did you piss anyone off? Where does all your nice shit come from?

So, I've started working on a "Previous Adventures" thing. The idea is to have a table of twenty or so adventure synopses that detail an adventure that a player character took part in. Each one will describe an adventure big enough to potentially justify having gained between one and three levels.

The details of the adventure can of course be modified, truncated, expanded, or whatnot, as the player likes and the DM permits.

Each adventure then provides a Contact - a character that the PC befriended, worked alongside, or otherwise left on friendly terms with, who can provide some kind of service for the character under the right conditions. Each adventure also provides a Compromise, however - a character, force, or whatever that the PC pissed off and is now gunning for him in some way.

Each adventure also provides a Keepsake, which amounts to a single small trinket (worth no more than 1 or 2 gp) that ties into the adventure; as well as a free roll on a level-appropriate Art Objects table from the DMG for a spiffy and actual treasure that your character kept from the adventure, but is of course free to sell.

Finally, each adventure provides a free tool or vehicle proficiency, usually in something esoteric and fluff-oriented rather than something likely to actually impact the game.

So. What does 5eg think?
>>
>>44783268
It's a good idea, but hooooooly shit Anon, turn down the auteurism.
>>
>>44783307
>auteurism

...the what now?
>>
>>44783339
Anon's calling you pretentious. I am hoping the irony is not lost on him.

I kind of see it, though:
>>44783268
>Adventurer Eggs
>A *mere* "character background"

Also:
>level 7
What?
>>
>>44783268
p good idea anon, but imo a player too lazy to come up with one themselves probably won't RP anyway so does it really matter
>>
>>44783268
Sounds good to me. I don't really think I'd start a character beyond the 3-5 range, but the concept is still pretty interesting.

>>44783339
'Pretentiousness' in shitposting speak (though I'd say they're not really the same thing). He's not entirely wrong.
>>
>>44783268

Great idea. I think this will incentivise not starting every game in the wasteland of levels 1-3

Sometimes I want to make a character with some kind of experience and prestige.
>>
>>44783471
that's not true. Sometimes people just don't think about this sort of thing.
>>
>>44783471
Eh, you never know.

>>44783468
Ah, okay. Sorry, I've been awake for 20-ish hours. One of two things happens at that point - my ability to spell plummets; or I start getting really pretentious.

>A *mere* "character background"

Well, by this I mean "my character is a Halruaan who discovered she had sorcerous talent. This made her an outcast in Halruaan society, so she journeyed north to escape persecution in her native land."

That's just fine, but if you're rolling up a character of 6th or 10th or whatever level, it doesn't explain where all those levels come from.

>level 7
>What?

I...don't understand the objection.
>>
>>44783268
The contact and complication thing strikes me as similar to that system in Shadowrun's 4th edition.

Seems like a damn fine idea for starting at higher levels, and I'll definitely make use of it if my players want to do something higher level later on (or if some poor bastard has to reroll his character lategame).
>>
>>44783591
Incidently, the ideas I'm going to be using to write these up are all based off of randomly-generated adventure titles.

I actually wanted to use old AD&D adventures like Aerie of the Slave Lords or The Keep on the Borderlands or the like, but unfortunately I just don't really have enough experience with them to describe them faithfully.

>Aboard the Scarlet Tide
>Blood of Murder
>Child of the Stockade
>Dream of Rule
>Heirs of Fire
>Hunter, Moon, and King
>King of the Caravan
>Knight of the Labyrinth
>Grove of the Living Dead
>Mage of the Hidden Sea
>Save the Princess
>Secret of the Circus
>Slaves of the Pit
>The Dragon's Gambit
>The Gift of the Fey
>The Waste from Within
>Through the Garden
>Warrior of Gold
>Within the Hungering Time
>Under the Wicked Sands

My real concern is somehow making sure that these can take *high*-level adventuring into account - i.e., if for whatever reason you're starting a campaign at level 15, then your character has probably done stuff like traveled to the City of Brass or Mechanus or the like.
>>
>>44783655
>The contact and complication thing strikes me as similar to that system in Shadowrun's 4th edition.

Never played. I was actually inspired by what I've heard of the Traveller character creation system. Although I did not in fact make it possible to die during character creation.

...I kind of want to, though.
>>
>>44783591
>I...don't understand the objection.
It's an uncommon level to start at. The option to do extended backgrounds is good, but seems niche given that most games start between 3 and 5.
>>
>>44783839
>It's an uncommon level to start at.

Really? Huh. Level 7 is my ideal starting level, personally.

This probably stems from my first real RPG being the d20 Star Wars, wherein level 7 was the level as which Jedi characters became Jedi Knights, and thus Level 7 is an ideal level to start at.
>>
File: Well Shit.jpg (37 KB, 295x334) Image search: [Google]
Well Shit.jpg
37 KB, 295x334
>tfw the only character you want to play is a tiny, nude, wild elf boy named Twig who only speaks Sylvan
>he is 200 years old and lives in the High Forest, bathing alone in pristine pools, wandering elven ruins and sleeping under the stars (while nude)
>am always persecuted because of my character choices
>banned from meetup site
>parents find character sheets, no I'm on Prozac
>>
>>44783865

love this meme
>>
>>44783782
>...I kind of want to, though.
It's not a good plan. There's a reason every modern version of Traveller omits that/makes it optional. Doubly so because the reason it works at ALL in original Traveller is because there's risk/reward associated with it - here it's mandatory.

This isn't really the same concept as Traveller, though it does serve some of the same purposes. Traveller char gen is more about the life you led before you became a traveller/'adventurer' (though it's not called that because scifi). If you want to see what that looks like in D&D (3.5 specifically):
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterBackground.htm

Take that and combine it with some of the more detailed type stuff in your write up. Of course, that doesn't actually work all that well in D&D, since it's such a mechanics-centric system. I like just running with what you proposed better.
>>
File: so_easy_ii_by_m0thart-d90u0o8.jpg (89 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
so_easy_ii_by_m0thart-d90u0o8.jpg
89 KB, 800x567
Has their ever been anything like a Feytouched race? I was thinking humans who have been magically infused with eladrin blood or something, they look really thin and pale and otherwordly and they speak Celestial and they are more elegant than elves and their magic is so strong but omg they are so cool, maybe I could just use the Aasimar race...
>>
>>44784065
>>44784006
>>
>>44784043
Mostly it was just the novelty of the idea of being able to die before even starting to play the character, a morbid curiosity - I'm aware that it's not really a good idea.

Anyway, gotta write up nineteen more synopses now. Wish me luck and sanity, all.
>>
>>44782448
I've played around with a druid BBEG concept or two recently:

>Circle of life: The enforcer
Druid has decreed that things are simply going too well and need to be recycled back to something more primitive and raw to grow again. Possibly ambiguity with the idea that civilization/higher life forms truly are a potential danger (See also anti-spirals in gurren lagann)
>>
How do you guys feel about backgrounds?

I've had an odd time with them. I think they're pretty good but rather restricting- So far I've just taken the starting inventories but let people choose two skills that make sense with their backstories.

Do you guys tend to go with the by-the-book backgrounds or do you houserule some of that?
>>
>>44784257
>So far I've just taken the starting inventories but let people choose two skills that make sense with their backstories.
That's what we do, basically. We makeup a background and a feature for RP reasons, but no skills/ideals/traits etc.
>>
>>44784257
There's a walkthrough to making your own backgrounds on page 125. It's not even a houserule.
>>
>>44784257
My group generally starts with one of the existing backgrounds and creates a small little story about how their character went from their background to adventuring, and expand upon the details of our pasts as we go.
>>
>>44784257
There's usually a background there that makes sense for the character with a reasonable feature to boot, but I usually end up running some small inventory changes by my DM.

For example, I was an Outsider raised by an Artisan father, so I kept a set of metalworking tools on me. In return, the hunting trap I would have had broken, and I needed materials to get it working again. That had a side effect of getting my loner character into the city where the party was.
>>
>>44784257
I like them as suggestions, bonus stuff and a way to separate class from occupation but I'll usually just write up my own thing instead of taking the steps in the book unless I'm swamped for character ideas.
>>
>>44784257
Backgrounds are, I think, one of the best features of 5th Edition.

>Do you guys tend to go with the by-the-book backgrounds or do you houserule some of that?

Playing my first 5E campaign right now, so we're just using by-the-book backgrounds. Later, however, we intend to fully customize our backgrounds as need be.
>>
>>44784257
I love backgrounds personally. Allows for greater character versatility that actually bears impact on gameplay.

I've never made my own background from scratch but I do tweak backgrounds when I need to.
>>
I love backgrounds so much I print them off and wrap them around my dick. They are held in place by rubber bands. I am wearing Charlatan right now. Love 'em.
>>
File: Sun Elf Evoker.jpg (96 KB, 530x1238) Image search: [Google]
Sun Elf Evoker.jpg
96 KB, 530x1238
Oh this motherfucker here? Yea he’s a sun elf (that’s a type of high elf) evoker (that’s a type of wizard). Yea, he’s better than you; he knows it, I know it, and you know it. He’s more beautiful than you too (hell, he’s more beautiful than most human women). He’s smarter and power powerful than you or anyone you have ever met (even your dad) and he’s lacking in all body hair from the neck down. He’s got all the ingredients for greatness, but guess what: So do all the other elves. Not a lot of “upward mobility” in a timeless kingdom where everyone lives to be a thousand and no one ever dies by violence. So what’s he gonna do? I guess he’s gonna hop a fucking boat and float over the Faerun (wherever that is) and make a name for himself there. It’ll be easy, right? I mean, he studied at the Tower of the Sun and his spells burn hotter than the surface of the fucking sun. Yea, I’m sure he’ll be fine. Sure he’s a bit of a prick, but wouldn’t you be? Maybe you should lay off him already.
>>
>>44784693
>>44784918
Someone's had alot of sugar today.
>>
>>44784257
I go by the book and let the players choose. By RAW at the beginning of the background section, you can grab all the parts of a background a la carte. They're only restricting if you didn't read how they work.
>>
File: 5414711357_0883f2c268_b.jpg (349 KB, 734x1024) Image search: [Google]
5414711357_0883f2c268_b.jpg
349 KB, 734x1024
>>44784918
Neat. Here is a goliath gladiator, hailing from high atop the mountains in faerun. No one special really, just your average unkillable beast of a man. Seriously, he purposefully wandered alone into the underdark to find himself a challenge.
>>
>>44781979
I hope the minotaurs are the ones trying to solve a riddle.
>>
>>44785048
He's beautiful
>>
>>44780267
You aren't going to make that back
>>
>>44785777
I really hope he meant $7.50.
>>
$750 is fucking laughable for your shit setting, he better have mistyped
>>
>>44785803
>>44785827
"Artists" really do ask for such absurd amounts of money though. Go to Deviantart and you'll see that even people who can't draw for shit ask for loads of cash.
>>
>>44785803
I doubt any artist made 4 pictures for $7.50
>>
So one of my players wants to multiclass his noble Battlemaster Fighter into Cleric of Light. To follow the Path of Pelor, the Sun god, after the horrible experiences he lived during his visit at Baator.

The party is in Sigil right now.

>any ideas for a side-quest or cool way to roleplay his way into the path of the ways of the clerics?
>>
>>44785701
He is more handsome and charismatic than the average goliath, but looks are of little meaning to a goliath. Only martial prowess and what achievements they have earned with their strength.

(Also I love this artwork. Best goliath art I have seen since I started playing DnD.)
>>
>>44785873
One thing my DM did was, during downtime, mention to me (who was playing a monk) that there was a monastery in town. Long story short, I ended up passing a couple trials to join the monastery, things like standing in the desert sun with a stone on my head for three full days and nights with no rest (con saves for days), and sparring with some of their best.

While it would obviously be different for a future paladin, you could do something like that: trials to join a specific order or something. Also gives the character a bit more of a backstory.
>>
>>44785864
>absurd

Yeah, making a living sure is absurd.
>>
>>44785923
Freelance artists with little recognizable skill shouldn't be building their living off of their art.
>>
>>44785923
>making a living
>$750 dollars for some furry art
>>
>>44785873
>Performs a quest for a cleric of pelor who offers his churches unique spell as a reward.
>becomes a cleric in the process.

The spell can be a basic lvl 1 light spell with some rad effect and deals damage and especially helps with dealing with demons and undead in the future. Just a suggestion.
>>
>>44785048
He probably wouldn't be killed but simply starve in the Underdark
>>
>>44785943
If you think its wrong go ahead and sell your own artwork for 7.50$
>>
>>44785943

>Freelance artists with little recognizable skill
Not sure where you got that from anons post. Sounds like you are projecting a little.
>>
>>44785983
Well he ended up in the mushroom city when he first entered the underdark and also found a bunch of beetles and an number hulk. He has plenty to eat atm. His greatest weakness is his lack of dark vision.
>>
I spoke to Jesper Ejsing (Magic the Gathering and other such things) and even his private commission price was not $750.
>>
Thoughts on taking skilled on my rogue (thief) next level and buffing up my knowledge skills? No one in my party really does anything besides fight. Our only caster is a Druid who spends all his time as a bear. Well and our paladin but he's a polearm master hack and slacker.

I pretty much would lead our k/d spread I think as is just because how easy having a party of front liners is in terms of me getting off sneak attack. I know that doesn't matter I just mean my combat skills I feel okay on.

My other options are dex to 18, skulker, observant, and maybe I was considering one of the two magic feats but I don't think I'll do it.

I have time but idk. Anyone have any experience with knowledge skill rogues? I have 12 int so it's not a tota waste or anything.

Investigation, arcana (no one has this so I think it would be me), and history? Then I could expertise one if it turns useful at 6, though I'll probably pick acrobatics and perception instead. I currently have athletics and stealth expertised, as you do. Kind of want to do slight of hand but I haven't used it yet really.

Idk so many options in a class that's like all always on abilities.
>>
>>44785777
Who said anything about making it back?
>>
>>44786020
The 750$ came from an anon commissioning 5 separate pieces of art. Or at least thats what it sounded like. Pretty reasonable then.
>>
>>44786007
Anon was replying to a post that specifically called out people who can't draw asking for "loads of cash"
>>
>>44786046
Yeah, that'd only be around $150 a piece or so.

Not sure why people are losing their shit over that. Especially since it was five hours ago.
>>
>>44786020
American minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. So, at the lowest that you are legally allowed to pay someone, $750 would represent about 103 hours of work.

However, that's federal minimum wage, not state. Someone employed by a temp agency could reasonably expect to make $10 an hour, at which point we're talking 75 hours...or two weeks of work. And we're still talking a fairly low skill level here.
>>
How do I become proficient in a new armor type?
>>
>>44786157
Multiclass or take the appropriate feat.
>>
Couldn't you add back in Will, Fort and Reflex saves? Each class gets whichever one suits them thematically, and all spells use one of these three only. They would just be Con/Dex/Wis saves with the more traditional names. Then you could eliminate Str/Int/Cha saves. Changing all spells to use the three new saves would be easy.
>>
What do you think are the best price to put things on DMs Guild for:
- A full class with at least 2 subclasses
- A subclass of an existing class
- A background
- A full race
- A subrace of an existing race
- A monster stat block (or a collection of them, priced per stat block)
- A short adventure

I feel like doing PWYW for everything is best but I'm asking for the best suggested prices.
>>
File: 1427321150917.jpg (59 KB, 689x881) Image search: [Google]
1427321150917.jpg
59 KB, 689x881
So gonna play PoTA, what's a class that's fun at all levels? Was thinking of going caster (storm sorceror, wizard or druid) but I'm unsure, never played a caster before.
>>
>>44786216
You could, but then by brewing away from the existing setup for something that functions 99% identically to how it already works, you're wasting time and adding unneeded complication to it. While the implementation wasn't the best, keeping the central three d20 rolls (attacks, ability checks, and saving throws) locked to the six ability scores is an elegant idea.
>>
>>44786264
I'm a rogue now not a caster but if your group is RP heavy and nerdy enough about it I would really like to make a warlock with a very developed relationship with their patron. Idk what it would be for me, and I don't know what that would be for you, but that's super interesting to me.

Plus they get new abilities every level. Spells, pact boons, invocations, archetype abilities. Lots of stuff.
>>
>>44782857
>I'm curious if it runs fine without all that shit that makes rangers own bows so well (shitloads of arrow spells, hunters mark, colossus slayer)
If you want to kill things with a bow and arrow or cross bow and arrow, then fighter does it better. This is pretty much true for anything using any weapon. Pick Ranger if you want some special Ranger thing like um volley.

As for a melee Ranger, it would work fine until about level 8. By level 12 you would notice that every other melee character has gotten class features and you have no more class features in sight. Whirlwind attack is highly situational. The only thing useful to multiclass to after level 8 is rogue.
>>
>>44786315
yeah my group is very into RPing, I don't really like warlock, but is not a bad idea at all.
I did build a warlock but never got to play it, since the GM banished. Maybe I could recycle him.
>>
>>44786338
Ah for sure. I mean any class can be good for RP obviously. I've just been kind of fantasizing (?) or whatever about developing a patron/patronee relationship in game and having that be important.

But if you don't like warlock then whatever.

I also want to make a conjuration wizard second place I think.

My cleric was really fun for my last (still ongoing on haitus?) campaign. Also not what you mentioned. But you kind of get to be a jack of all trades. Guidance is a godsend for keeping your party moving out of combat. Healing is obviously really useful.

Bard also seems cool to me. Hell everything does. Their spell list is awesome though.
>>
>>44786238
PWYW for everything you greedy fucking jew. Just put 1 dollar as the suggested price on everything and enjoy the 50 cents you get occasionally.
>>
>>44786377
Wow, you are really rumprustled. Some of what he's got there might not be a 1-page poorly-balanced and largely pointless fighter subclass.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.