[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Every time /a/ or /v/ or /co/ get a new flavor of the month we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17
File: anachronox.jpg (121 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
anachronox.jpg
121 KB, 1280x960
Every time /a/ or /v/ or /co/ get a new flavor of the month we get flooded with "What system?" and "Stat me" threads.
What about the less famous IPs? What obscure setting have you always wanted to play on the tabletop?
>>
>>44757698
What game is that?
>>
>>44757729
Anachronox. Not an exceptional game by any stretch but it had a decent cyberpunk setting and lots of humor.
>>
File: Marvel-2099-Collection.jpg (187 KB, 480x750) Image search: [Google]
Marvel-2099-Collection.jpg
187 KB, 480x750
>>44757698
>What obscure setting have you always wanted to play on the tabletop?
The original Marvel 2099. I know I could just use any comic-book RPG system, but I'm the only person I've ever met in meatspace or the Internet that really enjoyed it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (422 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
422 KB, 600x400
>>
>>
>>44758146
I wrote this as an Exalted campaign once. Didn't take off, unfortunately.
>>
>>44758146
My crewman of Octopodal descent! The Pirates of Dark Water was badass.
>>
File: TB50_2000_px.jpg (753 KB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
TB50_2000_px.jpg
753 KB, 2000x1414
Absolutely no idea how this would work, but I'm sure it would be awesome.
>>
>>44758146
There's a homebrew PoDW floating around, but I don't know if it's any good. I know it's about a decade old.
>>
File: until-death-do-us-part-6142405.jpg (183 KB, 644x952) Image search: [Google]
until-death-do-us-part-6142405.jpg
183 KB, 644x952
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>44758401
Captain Scarlet would be a lot easier to run as an RPG.
>>
Distant Worlds.
>>
>>44758146
Oh. My. God. I used to watch that show when I was a kid! Feverently so! I had -no- idea what they were saying because I knew no English at the time, but that oily water shit freaked me the fuck out every time.

I had completely forgotten that this exists. Thank you anon, thank you so much! I've got a chronically bad memory and most of my childhood is a blur, but this sparked something in me. I'm rembering... I'm remembering! Not only the show, but the apartment that we used to live in. It seemed so big... And the brow -black wallpaper with airships on it, balloons tied to ships by rope. And the old, green metal dumpster out back that we couldn't touch, which was always so mysterious... Holy fuck I'm trying like a little bitch. I'm remembering!
>>
Evil Dead
Battletoads

maybe both at the same time
>>
I've always wanted to use Tyris from Elona as a setting. Also not quite as obscure but I've wanted to use Eorzea from Final Fantasy XIV too.
>>
>>44758796
You should rewatch it. It was a really fun setting.
>>
>>44757698
Wanted to do a myst style game for a while.

Also Bionicle would be cool
>>
>>44757775
It runs like fucking shit on my PC. Like godawful shit.
>>
I want a YGO rpg
>>
>>44761694
Could be done as a sort of narrative RPG where the players play Liars Poker combined with making up cards. Whoever wins the round of Liars dice is treated to have actually had whatever bullshit card/effect they made up.
>>
File: one of my chinese cartoons.jpg (167 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
one of my chinese cartoons.jpg
167 KB, 1024x768
Not sure if a Shonen Jump Chinese cartoon counts as "obscure" but I rarely see it discussed and it would be fun
>>
>>44757827
I would play the shit out of that.
>>
>>44758401

shadowrun?

Play some straight-up nice guys, but the big corps are sending shadowrunners to steal your tech and constantly interfering with your rescues to because they worry you'll find evidence of negligence and illegal activity.
>>
>>44757698
The Bots Master
>>
File: circus swords.jpg (11 KB, 236x235) Image search: [Google]
circus swords.jpg
11 KB, 236x235
>>44758146
>dark water was only one season and got cancelled

Fuckin ell, why. I remember around age 6 my mom got me one of those fake plastic swords when we went to the circus like pic related, and later I broke the blade so that it would be like the hero's sword from the show and me and my m8s played pretend dark water.
>>
File: Untitled.png (96 KB, 220x305) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
96 KB, 220x305
>>
>>44757698
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
Please help
>>
>>44762303

Dunkelzahn is alive and living on tracy island, you are his... actually this would work better in Maid.
>>
>>44757698
Stick Ranger
>>
>inb4 Ironclaw
>>
>>44757698
ironclaw
>>
>>44762942
I've wanted to run a game for a player that was essentially this. Hell, even turn on god mode and just run the same dungeon and just have all the stats I need for any sort of encounter ready.

Just finding the right system would be the trick.
>>
ferrouspaw
>>
coppertalon
>>
I've always wanted to run a game set in something like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, except instead of recruiting demons, it's a party of Demifiends with their own specialities. They'd be fighting to do more or less the same thing as Demifiend was in the game, but I'd play it more open-ended and plan for law, chaos, neutral, true demon, and probably more endings.

I'd try to play it "as the dice fall" and be more of a neutral arbiter when it came to dice and battle results, but one thing I would definitely want to do is have an oracle-like NPC they visit frequently. When the party TPKs, I'd say "And the oracle looks up from the crystal ball and says "This is but one possible future."" Then I'd backtrack in my notes and play from the last time they talked to the oracle.
>>
>>44763081
See I'm the same way but I want to play it with three other people which makes it much more difficult.

I imagine it like a joke, honestly.
A gargoyle, a spriggan and a Deep Elf walk into a bar...
>>
File: bravestarr.jpg (393 KB, 1065x1500) Image search: [Google]
bravestarr.jpg
393 KB, 1065x1500
Brave Starr
>>
silverhoof
>>
steelmitt
>>
File: tfw horse.jpg (26 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tfw horse.jpg
26 KB, 500x333
>>44763293
Just what the fuck is that gun?
>>
>>44761694
If you wanna play Yu-Gi-Oh you gotta go all out and do it for real.

>get a shit ton of cards
>divide cards into a starting deck for each player
>they gain cards by winning battles and tournaments or "buying" them with in game money
>just tack on something rules-light for everything outside of card battling

Pretty much any Children's Card Game could be done this way. Doing it physically would be fun, but to be practical there are online systems to run card games. Might be awkward, but it's totally feasible.
>>
zincfoot
>>
tinheel
>>
aluminiumfinger
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 600x300
>>44757698
>Aliens who fight with their fists like men
>Science excitements turn aliens into body snatchers
>Mega dungeons with traps, puzzles, and loot
>Great grappling
Game was kind of shit though
>>
metalhand
>>
The Edge Chronicles. I'd provide a pic to show you guys but my phone isn't cooperating.
>>
METALGEAR
>>
>>44763467
METAL GEAR?!
>>
>>44763484
SNAAAAAAAKE
>>
>>44757698
I would kill if I could get my players interested in a wheel of time game.

Say what you will about RJ's descriptions of clothes, sniffing, braid tugging, and general 100% unlikeable cunt ratio among his female characters, the world he created is one of the best, and rich, fantasy worlds in a work of fiction.
>>
>>44763498
I GIVE MY LIFE
NOT FOR HONOR
BUT FOR YOOOOOUUUUUUU
>>
>>44762303
I actually really like that pitch for Shadowrun as an idea independent of Thunderbirds. The PCs could be the members of a small tech (or magic) startup who are from a mostly middle-class SINner non-criminal background. Then their small startup accidentally figures out an actual moneymaking idea, and the whole thing goes fuck-shaped. Aggressive megacorp "buyout offers" of extortion and blackmail, similar pressure from their own amoral venture capitalist angel investors, and now the security cams are showing a ninja, a troll in composite armor, and what appears to be a NAN shaman in full plains chieftain father headdress breaking in to their prototyping lab. Wat do?
>>
Just off the top of my head:
Heavy Object, Raildex, Rakudai (even though that sorta counts as flavor of the month), and Mahouka
>>
leadfist
>>
>>44762894
Mah nigga. I totally put the city of pipes and nymphs (Zenobia?) in my last campaign.
>>
>>44759022
Have you tried compatibility mode?
>>
File: GroupAquabatsFistLower.jpg (373 KB, 2472x1648) Image search: [Google]
GroupAquabatsFistLower.jpg
373 KB, 2472x1648
This is what I want to run.
>>
>>44763544
BROOOTHER!
>>
>>44763467
Project: Dark appears to be what you want. It's a card based RPG game about sneaking and being hidden.

If it ever was published, that is.
>>
>>44762894
>that city built to reflect the will of the cosmos
and then all the babies are born with deformities

>that city with the unground necropolis that mimicks the city itself

Damn, this book is so good!
>>
File: invisible_cities_1LARGE.jpg (482 KB, 528x727) Image search: [Google]
invisible_cities_1LARGE.jpg
482 KB, 528x727
>>44768936
In Eudoxia, which spreads both upward and down,
with winding alleys, steps, dead ends, hovels, a carpet
is preserved in which you can observe the city's
true form. At first sight nothing seems to resemble
Eudoxia less than the design of that carpet, laid out
in symmetrical motives whose patterns are repeated
along straight and circular lines, interwoven with
brilliantly colored spires, in a repetition that can be
followed throughout the whole woof. But if you
pause and examine it carefully, you become convinced
that each place in the carpet corresponds to a
place in the city and all the things contained in the
city are included in the design, arranged according
to their true relationship, which escapes your eye distracted
by the bustle, the throngs, the shoving. All
of Eudoxia's confusion, the mules' braying, the
lampblack stains, the fish smell is what is evident in
the incomplete perspective you grasp; but the carpet
proves that there is a point from which the city
shows its true proportions, the geometrical scheme
implicit in its every, tiniest detail.
It is easy to get lost in Eudoxia: but when you
concentrate and stare at the carpet, you recognize the
street you were seeking in a crimson or indigo or magenta
thread which, in a wide loop, brings you to
the purple enclosure that is your real destination.
Every inhabitant of Eudoxia compares the carpet's
immobile order with his own image of the city, an
anguish of his own, and each can find, concealed
among the arabesques, an answer, the stoty of his
life, the twists of fate.
An oracle was questioned about the mysterious
bond between two objects so dissimilar as the carpet
and the city. One of the two objects-the oracle
replied-has the form the gods gave the starry sky
and the orbits in which the worlds revolve; the other
is an approximate reflection, like every human creation.
>>
>>44769427
For some time the augurs had been sure that the
carpet's harmonious pattern was of divine origin.
The oracle was interpreted in this sense, arousing no
controversy. But you could, similarly, come to the
opposite conclusion: that the true map of the universe
is the city of Eudoxia, just as it is, a stain that
spreads out shapelessly, with crooked streets, houses
that crumble one upon the other amid clouds of
dust, fires, screams in the darkness.

The entire book is amazing top to bottom, my favorites are this and the upside down city hanging from a spiderweb of ropes spread over a ravine. Its decriptions end with "Suspended over the abyss, the life of Octavia's inhabitants is less uncertain than in other cities. They know the ropes can only carry so much weight".
>>
>>44757698
The only way we're getting the second half of the story is when Tom Hall releases it in 2020.

>>44759022
Is your computer literally a potato? It runs just fine on my Win10 laptop (maybe even a bit fast).
>>
>>44758146
Aaaaah, the memories
>>
File: 1376012601214.jpg (179 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1376012601214.jpg
179 KB, 1024x768
>>44757698
Lost Kingdoms II.

One idea I had was to use the 4e power system as a base, and then turn it into a card game.
>>
>>44763355
Primitive laser tag. The toy of the gun was child scale, but you were supposed to attach the action figures to it, and they would fly off if a hit was registered.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.