[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you work with wounds in your games? The idea of that Orc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: UAk1Ns1.jpg (791 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UAk1Ns1.jpg
791 KB, 1920x1080
How do you work with wounds in your games? The idea of that Orc berserker playing noughts and crosses on the fighter's chest and the wound being fully healed after a night's sleep is ludicrous.
>>
>>44752242
Its not ludicrous in a world of magick and sorcery

going "too real" with wound systems is boring and hurts campaign progression
>>
>>44752277
Even so, what justification could one use for the healing magic involved if the cleric's all out of spells?

Not questioning it as a gameplay mechanic, just trying to make it slightly more immersive.
>>
>>44752307
people/things in this world heal faster?

I mean the mechanic doesn't apply to one thing, stuff like that applies to everyone and everything in the world

maybe the winds of magic are in the very air, empowering even the common folk slightly
>>
>>44752277
>>44752307
>>44752355
that's also not to say they go without scars, I remember unless they chose to do something about it all my plays had obvious battle scars

near the end of a recent 5e campaign, everyone and their mother could identify the group's fighter because he was a mass of scarring and twisted features, he didn't want to have the scarring removed with magic like anyone else
>>
>>44752242

In 5th edition, you aren't wounded until you go to half health. Before that, it's just nicks and scratches.

At zero, it's a serious injury that's possibly fatal, depending on your death saves. If you succeed, it was just a blow that knocked you out.

It's abstracted. The healing to full from zero overnight is a bit silly, but otherwise it kinda makes sense maybe?
>>
>>44752307
Wounds may or may not be someone taking actual hits as much as it is "plot armor" keeping them from taking a fatal or debilitating hit. EotE keeps critical wounds(ranging from getting winded to crippled to getting dead) separate from your standard wound count, which just makes you pass out and take a critical wound if it drops below zero.
>>
>>44752355
I don't even involve magic. I just say it's a consequence of natural evolution on a planet with fucking dragons, orcs, and man eating plants. You either heal fast, or get overwhelmed trying to recuperate.
>>
I always give the stipulation at the start of a brand new campaign and to new players that humans, dwarves, ect, are all just built hardier in the world. We real life humans are just incredibly weak, healing ability bottem of the line stuff for us. In the campaign world, life had to adapt, so wounds are deadly, but it just takes alot more.

Magic healing really just closes up wounds. I rule if organs are out, limbs hacked off, ect, magic healing wont help you much. Medical healing is still very much needed for severe injuries.

Potions literally just manipulate cells to revert back to usual function. I think of it like that metal that retakes its shape when you apply heat.
>>
>>44752242
Everyone is 1/32 troll.
>>
>>44752242
>noughts and crosses
tic-tac-toe?
>>
>>44752242
I play something other than D&D.

For serious tho, I like to fluff 'mere' HP damage on my Tough Hide barbarian as superficial wounds. Scratches, bruises, shallow cuts that bleed bad but aren't too serious.
When I get to my wound track, that's when she starts limping, having trouble breathing, out feeling the blood loss. And that's pretty close to death and takes a while to heal anyhow.

For ref, Fantasycraft, and magical healing exists, but we've never had reliable access to it. Natural healing takes up to two weeks, and I accept that relatively low cap because high Fantasy and scale-armour juggernaut.
>>
>>44752242
Magical healing leaves the mind still hurt, so any wound modifiers stay for days after being healed. Natural/traditional healing cures both mind and body.
I leave it at that for most systems.
>>
>>44752242
Adventurers are really badass individuals.
>>
>>44752242
The idea that a seasoned adventurer can survive several blows to their bare chest from a giant two-handed axe is also ludicrous, but that doesn't stop most RPGs, does it?
>>
>>44752242

A level 20 fighter can tank a 120 mm cannon to the chest nude.
>>
>>44755733
how you know that?
>>
>>44752277
It still is.
A world where someone can cast spell is not a world where everyone regenerates wounds overnight.

As for an actual answer, in my game a Medicine check may stabilize or treat wounds.
If wounds are treated, they slowly heal over time. This usually requires something more than just bandages and a kiss on the forehead, though.
Stabilizing is easier, and it just prevents wounds from getting worse (for bleeding, infections and so on).
Wounds that aren't stabilized (or treated) will get worse with time.
>>
>>44752242
When the fighter can survive several rounds unarmored against an orc berserker you don't really get to say what he can or can not do.
>>
>>44752242
I've been working on a percentile-based series of charts for it, using a Wound system. HP represents all the abstract things keeping you alive in combat, Wounds are what happen when you start running out.

At 75% HP, you take a minor wound. This gives you a small, specific debuff (things like "your wrist is sprained, small penalty on anything involving that hand", etc) and a general bonus to physical actions as adrenaline starts to surge. These are removed with Cure Light Wounds.

At 50%, you take a moderate wound, like a cut in your t-zone causing blood to blind you, or bruised ribs making it difficult to breath and maintain strenuous actions. You gain a desperation bonus to help counteract whatever the penalty is. Removed with Cure Moderate Wounds.

At 25%, you take a serious wound. This can mean actually getting stabbed in the shoulder, a broken bone, or something similar. The desperation bonus does not increase. Requires a Cure Serious Wounds or equivalent.

When you hit 0HP or go into the negatives, you take a mortal wound. An essential artery's been hit, you're bleeding out from the inside, your skull has been badly fractured, you've lost a limb. You're incapacitated and need life-saving medical treatment or a Cure Critical Wounds on the double, or you're dead.
For low-level players, this makes the Heal skill incredibly necessary and rewards caution over rushing into every fight headlong. After all, there's no way a level 1 character could have access to a Cure Serious Wounds in the middle of a dungeon. For mid-level characters, the solution to every out of combat healing need before implementation is a Wand of Cure Light Wounds, but that won't be sufficient any longer either, since falling under half , quarter or negative HP gives a wound that wand won't be able to fix. It should also help the PCs get a better image for exactly how a battle's progressing, get them more into the scene and how their characters would be reacting.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44752242
The god of death is a vaguely creepy fucker who likes to keep people as close to their original forms as they can when they die. He doesn't care about aging, because that's sort of a record of your life, but he hates every little scar getting recorded. So he stretches out his metaphorical skeleton hand and heals your flesh so that you don't bear any scars.

So why have any scars, or allow people to mutate or transform? Because sometimes it shows that something big and awesome or horrible has happened. It's a record of an event, and death likes that sort of thing.
>>
In my homebrew healing is not done over night. How ever, you do regain a small 1d6 every good night spent. Good night spent = sleeping in a real bed or other better places then the woods or something like that.
This can be altered with healing foods such as herbs and other stuff like that and usely they gain another d6 for this. (Potions if those are around, very rare items.)
With bandage or other stuff that is relevant to the wound gives them even more d6'es or d10 etc.
If they have a healer with them that takes care of the wounded gives even more dices.
This leaves the players to, first of all: get into a safe area, search for healing material, find a healer or ask the partys healer to have a look at the wounds and so on.
Healing the wounded becomes, (If you want alot of your health back) an adventure in itself.

Works pretty well.
>>
>>44752242
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic
>>
File: Just Works.png (227 KB, 600x515) Image search: [Google]
Just Works.png
227 KB, 600x515
>>44752242
Am working on the idea of Fight/Defend/Wound system.

To keep it short, if you fail a Save vs Damage (Not D&D but lingo is lingo) you can't use one of your attributes (Like Brawn) and ALL ASSOCIATED SKILLS WITH IT

You lose Brawn - No Attacking in melee
You lose Hardiness - No Wound Saves
You lose Speed - No Moving or ranged attacks
You lose Wisdom - No Mystic Bullshit
You lose Smarts - No Medicine
You lose Hotness - No Talking
Once those are all gone, one more shot and your toast.

Everyone has two heals an encounter/day, hoping this encourages people to work together to avoid wounds and keep them to a minimum.
>>
This is why I use guros as my default system. It hits the sweet spot between grit and grandeur
>>
>>44752242
HP is not meat points. 5e's death saving throws is worse than recovering overnight for not making sense.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.