[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best system for running a game with giant mechs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: MechaGodzilla_zps45f8606c.gif (2 MB, 500x193) Image search: [Google]
MechaGodzilla_zps45f8606c.gif
2 MB, 500x193
What's the best system for running a game with giant mechs and kaiju fighting each other?
>>
>>44750307
Have you considered GURPS
>>
adEva
>>
>>44750307
Armwrestling.
>>
just take some dino and transformer toys and let em go at it
>>
Monster Island
http://tg-monster-island.wikia.com/wiki//tg/_Monster_Island_Wiki
>>
I wouldn't personally recommend the system but iirc this is one of cthulhutechs stated aims
>>
Not OP, but doing some summaries.

>>44750316
If you go this route, I've been told that you should stata Vehicle as the whole mech. Keep the pilot separate, probably build them with Lite.

>>44750326
AdEva is pretty specific. While it can handle it, you are also expected to set up the conspiracy and themes. It can be pretty cool, I recommend setting it up so you fight the Zodiac animals Evafied.

>>44750488
I like this as a good and quick way to dream up Kaijus and monsters.

If you have a number of players, DnD 4e is actually a good option. All you have to do is go to Google Maps and print out maps of any city, then let the PCs and monsters go at it. PCs have to minimize damage to the city, and you can put additional hazards like forcing them to take damage to protect fleeing civilians. A slightly faster, more super version of Daiguard.
>>
>>44750776
>If you have a number of players, DnD 4e is actually a good option

Holy fuck, it's like you guys only know five systems.

There's Mekton, Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Chrome Strike, Battletech, BRP Mecha and a ton of other systems BASED AROUND THE IDEA OF GIANT ROBOTS, but you guys can't leave your comfort zone, it's always the same bullshit.

>Hey I want a game about being the ghost of a house cat

"HURR YOU SHOULD USE PATHFINDER"
>>
File: 1433734331892.png (483 KB, 1111x1111) Image search: [Google]
1433734331892.png
483 KB, 1111x1111
>>44750952
Nice autism
>>
File: 1449115715712.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1755) Image search: [Google]
1449115715712.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1755
>>44750307
Russian Roulette.
Preferably with a semi-automatic.
>>
>>44750952
Relax bro. I recommended 4e because it is already a Super Robot Wars: The Tabletop game.

What's the benefit of using all those systems? Where do they fall in the Real/Super paradigm? Is the background stuff only allowing for one type of setting?
>>
>>44750307
Well, GURPS is good for this, but you will probably need to scale up for having mecha feeling: 1000 ST become 10 and so on.
>>
>>44751023

It's not Autism. How the fuck is 4E remotely suitable for a Mecha game? Does it deal with location damage? Parts modification? Environmental destruction? These are like, the bare minimum you'd expect from a Mecha-Kaiju game and it has none of that, it's only recommended because it's a superficial system people homebrew when they don't want to learn a new game.

>>44751088
>Relax bro. I recommended 4e because it is already a Super Robot Wars: The Tabletop game.

Except you'd have to make everything up from scratch? If you're going to have to homebrew the "Mecha vs Kaiju" part, at least pick a more appropriate system.

Mutants & Masterminds and Big Eyes Small Mouth are both suited for this type of game.
>>
>>44751164
>Except you'd have to make everything up from scratch?

You only have to refluff. That's all you need to do. And the mechanics are incredibly re-fluffable.

Depending on the focus of the game you want (for example, Super Robot Wars), it may simply fit.

I'd also recommend Strike! for a less crunch-heavy, but similarly strategic game.
>>
>>44751088
>Relax bro. I recommended 4e because it is already a Super Robot Wars: The Tabletop game.
Not even that guy, but wizards and paladins aren't robots, yo.

We can make the debate that the mechanics are similar, but it still takes shit-tons more work to get D&D playing a giant robot game than it does to make a giant robot game play a giant robot game.
>>
>>44751284
>You only have to refluff. That's all you need to do. And the mechanics are incredibly re-fluffable.
Yeah, within the context of traditional D&D fantasy.

It's not THAT refluffable.
>>
>>44751284
>You only have to refluff

Everything. You'd only have to refluff literally everything.
>>
>>44751526
>Everything. You'd only have to refluff literally everything.
You'd have to do more than that. Unless you're willing to peel through every single page of every book looking for everything that's consistent with the mecha genre, you're just generally gonna have a bad time doing this.

I mean shit, how do you justify wizard-robot's ability to make a mansion for several hours to sleep in, complete with (apparently) giant robot butlers that serve giant robot drinks to everyone inside?
>>
>>44751574
>how do you justify wizard-robot's ability to make a mansion for several hours to sleep in, complete with (apparently) giant robot butlers that serve giant robot drinks to everyone inside?

Hidden hangars strewn throughout the land, for the wizard is part of the rebellion.

Easy.
>>
>>44751164
Not everyone wants a hyper or even remotely realistic kaiju/mecha game. Using an entire narrative driven system could work, with distances and damage being entirely relative, especially if the monsters of the week were based around simple gimmicks. The genre is very cinematic and doesn't need to be gritty.
>>
>>44751030
>Lithuanian Roulette
>With a CZ-52
Poor choice, nothing ruins a good session like having to stop and get an after market firing pin.
>>
>>44751593
>Hidden hangars strewn throughout the land, for the wizard is part of the rebellion.
And that's why he could theoretically use it in the vacuum of space where no other being has ever been present?

Makes sense.... -_-
>>
>>44751501
>Not even that guy, but wizards and paladins aren't robots, yo.

However, robots can be Wizards or Paladins. Or at least use the mechanics of Paladins and Wizards, which is the important part of the system.

>>44751518
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

>>44751526
You have to refluff what you use. Which is going to be a lot smaller amount of content and is going to be introduced gradually.

>>44751593
>>44751574
Extradiemsnional transportation device that needs a few minutes/hours to set up, but creates a gate to a hangar space that is used by allied mechanics.
>>
>>44751657
>>44751654
Flashbangs and smoke grenades. They hinder targeting systems and you risk walking into a trap.

Buys time for Nanobots/Mechanics to fix some things.
>>
>>44751657
>Or at least use the mechanics of Paladins and Wizards
Yes

>>44751657
>Extradiemsnional transportation device that needs a few minutes/hours to set up, but creates a gate to a hangar space that is used by allied mechanics.
Ah yes, that truly invokes the Super Robot Genre. I remember all the times that totally happens in TV shows, and it totally doesn't destroy any possibility for survival plots in wastelands or space....

>>44751700
>Buys time for Nanobots/Mechanics to fix some things.
"Well it's a good thing you threw down that smoke grenade, it gave us enough time to do an 8-hour repair job while the enemy just stood there trying to look through the un-enterable smoke!"

Yeah, that's sounds awesome.

i just think that people are trying to stretch it for too much. I've seen some people have the same arguments for games like Nobilis and Don't Rest Your Head. Game mechanics aren't really that flexible... there's a reason why GURPS releases a shit-ton of supplemental books for every genre, you know.
>>
>>44751612

Which is why I recommended Big Eyes Small Mouth.

Fate Core could definitely work too.
>>
>>44751748
>Ah yes, that truly invokes the Super Robot Genre. I remember all the times that totally happens in TV shows, and it totally doesn't destroy any possibility for survival plots in wastelands or space....

Dude have you literally even seen a super robot show? They pull entire space ships out of portals connected firmly to their robosphincters every damn day.

If they need to do a "survival" arc they just say that system's on the fritz for those 3 episodes.
>>
>>44751748
>Ah yes, that truly invokes the Super Robot Genre. I remember all the times that totally happens in TV shows, and it totally doesn't destroy any possibility for survival plots in wastelands or space....

Not Super Robot genre, Super Robot Wars. It is a series of turn based, grid tactical combat with Super Robots, and bonkers powerlevel, where opening portals like that wouldn't beout of the ordinary. Which is why I said if that's the kind of campaign you want, 4e fits.

If you wanted to make a space survival super robot campaign (got some really specific tastes going there buddy, but I won't judge), you'd either use a different system... or just ban that ritual.
>>
>>44751748
Accidentally posted without answering

>Or at least use the mechanics of Paladins and Wizards
Neither Paladins nor Wizards, nor the mechanics tied to them, make sense for the Super Robot Genre.

Especially the wizard, who has relearnable spell slots and a vast number of utility spells (and other spells for that matter) which simply seem ridiculous for the game system.

And that's not even covering crap like ritual and resurrection mechanics, neither of which would fit at all. There is so much refluff work involved in this, you might as well tell people that the best way to play mecha RPGs is to build one from scratch.

>>44751822
>Which is why I said if that's the kind of campaign you want, 4e fits.
Being able to summon an 8-hour rest in the middle of combat fits this game as well?!

>or just ban that ritual.
It's not a ritual, which is the problem. Even standard powers for every class can prove to be problematic. You would have to peruse EVERY POWER and EVERY CLASS FEATURE to find what suits the genre.
>>
Apotheosis Drive X is EXACTLY what you want OP, seriously.

Go check it out, NOW!
>>
>>44751860
>resurrection mechanics, neither of which would fit at all.

Are you literally retarded? Resurrection requires LESS disbelief in a mecha genre than a fantasy genre, on account of the fact that you can, y'know, FIX robots.
>>
>>44751654
>...-_-
>>
>>44751860
>Being able to summon an 8-hour rest in the middle of combat fits this game as well?!

Gurren Lagann is one of the franchises represented in those games. You know? Giant robot that literally throws a galaxy as a shuriken? Summoning a fucking mansion is small time.

>It's not a ritual, which is the problem.

Then you ban a power. Same difference.
>>
File: 1451645038239.jpg (74 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1451645038239.jpg
74 KB, 320x320
>>44751860
A 4e Wizard is mostly a blaster master. My starting spells basically made me the Avatar with Unlimited Knife Works at level 1.

It would just be a Mecha with Elemental Ammo that shoots Liquid Nitrogen, Napalm, comes equipped with a Taser that can power a suburb for a year, and can call in Drone Air Strikes.
>>
File: 82258.jpg (535 KB, 657x1000) Image search: [Google]
82258.jpg
535 KB, 657x1000
I really enjoy Chris Perrin's Mecha, its more narrative story game faggotry, but I love that shit.

There's also a specific Fate module for Mecha vs Kaiju, and seeing as its designed to emulate an action movie about that sort of shit, its probably a good bet.

Heavy Gear isn't really scaled for giant monsters, the gears are more powered armour.

Battletech is an option that's mostly a wargame with rpg aspcts. There are rules for huge monsters, but they're not very effective because the system is designed for mechs to be kings of the battle field.

Its cute how mad that one guy is tho. He's basically right, but sooooooo salty.
>>
>>44751958
>Resurrection requires LESS disbelief in a mecha genre than a fantasy genre, on account of the fact that you can, y'know, FIX robots.
>Mechanic! I destroyed my mecha!
>I can't fix it. I don't have ritual caster.
>wat.

>>44751962
>Summoning a fucking mansion is small time.
It isn't when you can summon said mansion mid-battle and get a full-nights rest (restoring all hit points and spells).

>Then you ban a power. Same difference.
And now we're back to reviewing EVERY power, feat, feature and class. Why is that a better option than just using a fucking mecha game?

Seriously, I want to know what is so magical about this game that you would literally kill hours of your life to play it in a genre it was never built for, rather than seeking a game that actually was built for it. I mean FUCK! You could probably find a game based on 4th Edition that IS built for the mecha genre (isn't there a mecha supplement for M&M3 yet?!). Yet you'd rather use stock 4th for this?!?!
>>
>>44752059
>Its cute how mad that one guy is tho. He's basically right, but sooooooo salty.
I'm not mad, I'm just thoroughly vexed by the logic of it all. People jump into every "what works best for x" thread saying shit like GURPS and 4E. While I can understand GURPS (cuz they have a book for every fucking thing under the sun) for most things, this is one of the few times that I've heard 4th Edition being referred to as a generic roleplaying engine.

But it's not. It requires so much fucking work to get there.
>>
>>44752059
>Its cute how mad that one guy is tho

There are at least three different posters disagreeing with the 4E idea.

>Seriously, I want to know what is so magical about this game that you would literally kill hours of your life to play it in a genre it was never built for, rather than seeking a game that actually was built for it.

Exactly. The time it would take you to refluff a single class is enough to find and learn the basics of a game specifically designed for what OP is looking for. I can understand using something like GURPS for everything, but 4E is far from generic.
>>
>>44752077
>>Mechanic! I destroyed my mecha!
>>I can't fix it. I don't have ritual caster.
>>wat.

>>I can't fix it. I'm not a good enough mechanic.
or
>>I can't fix it. There was a unique doodlebop and now that's busted.
Y'know. Like happens IN THE GENRE.

>And now we're back to reviewing EVERY power, feat, feature and class.
No, only the powers that the party actually takes. And of those, only the ones that are actually visibly troublesome to wedge into the narrative. And of THOSE, only the ones whose wedging into the narrative would be subtractive, not enhancing.

>you would literally kill hours of your life
Bruh, I've PLAYED a 4e SRW game, inspired by the thread /tg/ had about this very concept months ago. It took all of 15 minutes to explain the concept and the exchanges we were making, and then off we went without a hitch.

It certainly didn't involve "hours" of autistic power-reviewing.
>>
>>44752077
>>I can't fix it. I don't have ritual caster.
>NPCs requiring feats

Alternatively

>making a tinkerer/mechanic PC that doesn't have ritual caster

You are not very good at this, are you?

>And now we're back to reviewing EVERY power, feat, feature and class.

Still no. You only have to review that power IF there is a wizard IF he is 22nd level and IF he showed interest in taking that power.

>I want to know what is so magical about this game

Best skirmish combat experience I had in any game so far, and also best balanced by far.

>you would literally kill hours of your life

But I wouldn't? It actually only takes me a minute to refluff everything I want.
>>
>>44752186

Well if we're going by that logic then we might as well tell OP to play any fucking system then.
He's asking for the BEST system for the genre. What you're recommending is using a medieval fantasy focused system and then just making shit up on the spot to pretend it's actually a mecha game.

>I use hunter's mark. I mean, r-robot-hunter's mark
>>
>>44752279
There's also mechanical tone to consider, not just setting. iirc, 4e had substantial limits, like dailies, encounters, etc. That'd be a good way to fluff weapons and equipment with limited ammo and fuel.
>>
>>44750307
Mekton Z
>>
>>44752279
>What you're recommending is using a medieval fantasy focused system and then just making shit up on the spot to pretend it's actually a mecha game.

And it still beats out a fair chunk, if not all, of the ~actual~ mecha games on the market, because they bog themselves down in autism ("why yes Mekton I would love to calculate armor tonnage and fuel weight in my fucking super robo game") or are generic systems (meaning they don't actually service the genre at all, and are boring to play to boot, e.g. M&M)

The only system that would come even close is GGG, and even that is an inbred cousin to 4e.
>>
>>44752279
>I use hunter's mark. I mean, r-robot-hunter's mark

You have to be doing this on purpose. That has to be the easiest fucking thing to refluff. Fuck, it doesn't even NEED a refluff. It's literally just focusing on hunting down a single target, with a flavorful name. In OP's case, a genre that's LITERALLY GIANT ROBOTS HUNTING GIANT MONSTERS.

Please, please say you are trolling.
>>
>>44752348
>The only system that would come even close is GGG, and even that is an inbred cousin to 4e.

Give Strike! a read, it's a pretty awesome 4e with very streamlined classes and combat mechanics, but still retaining much of the strategy.
>>
>>44752175
>I can understand using something like GURPS for everything, but 4E is far from generic.
EXACTLY! You could be recommending Rock Paper Scissors for a mecha game with as much logic as you could 4th Ediiton.

>>44752186
>Y'know. Like happens IN THE GENRE.
In genre, they occasionally cast floating discs to carry their shit out of the dungeon?

Do they occasionally turn mecha parts into magic dust that can be easily converted into new mecha parts of 1/5th the value?

>No, only the powers that the party actually takes. And of those, only the ones that are actually visibly troublesome to wedge into the narrative. And of THOSE, only the ones whose wedging into the narrative would be subtractive, not enhancing.
So you basically build your characters first, then fluff everything as you see fit?

I guess that works, but it still seems unnecessary. I just worry it would be like retooling DRYH for settings that don't involve corrupting powers... it doesn't fit the game mechanics all too well.

>>44752187
>You are not very good at this, are you?
There's nothing sensible about a tinkerer having the ability to resurrect robots AND create magic discs to carry crap around, or bend fire.

>Best skirmish combat experience I had in any game so far, and also best balanced by far.
Fair enough. I think it's about average so far as games balance is concerned (people really underestimate the number of decently-balanced games that exist nowadays, because the ones that are popular aren't usually balanced).

Hell, if I wanted balance AND mecha combat, I'd go with MF0 myself. All the balance, built for the genre already, and I get to play with fucking legos as well.
>>
>>44752402
>There's nothing sensible about a tinkerer having the ability to resurrect robots AND create magic discs to carry crap around, or bend fire.

Because it's not magic. It's a temporary a-grav forcefield, used for emergency transportation.

>bend fire

Not sure which ritual that is. But temporary energy shielding, or remote plasma manipulation fields seems to fit the genre.

See? I spent 5 seconds thinking that up. This is not hard, unless you make it hard or have no fucking imagination.
>>
>>44752402
>MF0
Squad based mecha on kaiju action? sign me the fuck me.
Forget saving the city. We have to save the whole damn coastline.
>>
>>44752402
>In genre, they occasionally cast floating discs to carry their shit out of the dungeon?
They have cargo trucks and other crawlers on-call, yes.

>Do they occasionally turn mecha parts into magic dust that can be easily converted into new mecha parts of 1/5th the value?
>what is scrap value

>So you basically build your characters first, then fluff everything as you see fit?
Why would you do it literally any other way? Every other method makes unnecessary work or treats your group like incompetent children.
>>
>>44752349
>>44752348
>>44752331

Super Robot, even more so than Real Mecha, is more about characters and over the top cinematic shit than strategy and tactics. 4E is a far cry from that.

If you're going to refluff a system, something like Fate and BESM would fit much, much better, Hell, Exalted might be more suited for that.

You guys are just too used to 4E to give anything else a chance.
>>
>>44752495
>Super Robot, even more so than Real Mecha, is more about characters and over the top cinematic shit than strategy and tactics.

Which is something 4e also has; encounters, dailies and action points are all cinematic asskicking moments translated into mechanics.

The point is that 4e marries the two. It doesn't fucking care about the details, so you can play as over the top as you want, but it DOES care about the gameplay, so you are't just assigning complications and invoking aspects like FATE.

>You guys are just too used to 4E to give anything else a chance.

I fucking wish. I only got to play 4e once every quarter, and now not even that.
>>
>>44752493
>Why would you do it literally any other way?
I prefer expectations to be up front. The only time I generally don't do such things first is for more narrativist games (like Dungeon World). But even then, I'd use one built for the genre I'm playing in, then allow for refluffs suited for the campaigns personal nuances.

Refluffing for a game within genre seems, at least to me, FAR easier than refluffing a game for an entirely different genre altogether.
>>
There was a time this thread would have turned into a home brew for a giant robot vs kaiju game.

I'm on my phone now but give me an hour to get home and I'll work on the basics for one.
>>
>>44752493
>>44752477

This is exactly like I said before, using Pathfinder for a Ghost House Cat game or whatever. You're just making stuff up, you're not actually fitting the structure to the theme.

Nothing sucks more than not having a theme fit into the game structure.

Where are the rules for location damage? Over heating? Parts customization? Character interaction? Emotional sate of the pilots? These are all important parts of a mecha game. If you're going to make all this shit up you're basically making a new system yourself.

OP clearly stated he wanted the best systems for the genre, you're just telling him to go and make one himself.
>>
>>44752562
>DOES care about the gameplay

Sorry, this may have sounded dismissive of FATE, which I don't want.

I absolutely love FATE. But its combat mechanics are generally the same as its non-combat mechanics, which, for a genre so focused on epic combat is just not enough in my opinion.
>>
4e is a mostly good system for mecha combat. It is. I have played it as such, and it was good fun for the first couple sessions.

However, the system focuses a *lot* on melee, which probably doesn't make much sense if you're going for a more realistic sci-fi world. Which our DM unfortunately did. But if you're going to be grappling with kaiju and fighting with beam swords, you're probably okay.
>>
>>44750952
On the one hand I understand how you feel.

On the other hand W E W L A D
>>
>>44752605
> You're just making stuff up,

That's the fucking point of fluff. You can make it up. It doesn't matter, as long as it fits.

>Where are the rules for location damage? Over heating? Parts customization?

These are all real mecha shit. They are not important to Super mecha. But let me give it a try anyway.

>Where are the rules for location damage?
Debuffs
>Over heating?
Ongoing damage
> Parts customization?
"magic" items

>Character interaction? Emotional sate of the pilots?

I'd give you that, but I can't imagine Kamina as anything else than a Bravura Warlord, and I can't imagine more raw emotion than Kamina.
>>
>>44752605
That's if OP cares more about verismilitude than cinematography. For all we know, the pilots' emotional states are locked into "hotheaded ace pilot".

And refluffing =/= making a new system. It's... like literally the opposite of that. It's fluff. Using an established mechanic.

But 4e seems to have run it's course, and it's the only system I know.
Bringing to light other systems people have used and highlighting their strengths and weaknesses in terms of realism and action.
BT is the only other one I have experience with, and if I can't reliably drop kick my enemies every turn without risk of losing my leg, that's not mecha to me. But that's my opinion
>>
ITT, people desperately cling to shitty RPG's like Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>44752616
>I absolutely love FATE. But its combat mechanics are generally the same as its non-combat mechanics, which, for a genre so focused on epic combat is just not enough in my opinion.
But there are settings in Fate which ramp up the combat mechanics. Look at CAMELOT Trigger for some great info on handling mecha (and probably one of the best and simplest ways to handle building mecha for any game system, really).
>>
>>44752721
>I'd give you that, but I can't imagine Kamina as anything else than a Bravura Warlord, and I can't imagine more raw emotion than Kamina.

Also, fucking healing surges/second winds/action points. Don't fucking tell me that's not your burning heart pushing your mech over the limit to protect your nakama/because this hand of mine is burning red and it's loud roar is telling me to grasp victory!
>>
>>44752789
I'll take a look. Always happy to expand my FATE knowledge.
>>
>>44752721
>>44752736

I'm not arguing against refluffing. I'm arguing against refluffing 4E.
Fuck, I absolutely love everything about AdEva, for example.

>But 4e seems to have run it's course, and it's the only system I know.

That's my point. A lot of people on /tg/ seem to only know a couple of systems, and use them for everything. A lot of things from the mecha genre simply can not be well emulated using D&D, that's a fact. There are tons of systems made specifically for the Mecha genre, I doubt people in this thread have checked all of them out. Try giving other stuff a read, learning new systems, before you go and try to fit a genre around a game made for a completely different type of game.
>>
>>44752834
I asked that question here.
>>44751088

Everyone says to use different systems, but only one dude seems to have brought up what they are good for.

How usable is AdEva?
Is Chthulutech fine for saving civilians in the middle of a monster attack?
Can I use Eclipse Phase characters as Mechs and say they are defending a colony ship with tiny people?
>>
>>44752785
4th Edition ain't shitty. It just ain't a mecha RPG.

Note that I've never had a problem with 4E. I was a bit bummed that they took out the "gotta catch'em all"-style wizards, but otherwise it was a great game.

It's just not a mecha RPG.
>>
>>44752834
I'm not the one who suggested 4e, just was offering my opinions on the take.

AdEva is something I'd love to play or run, mechanically, but none of the people I play with would like 'required' tone. The whole collateral damage thing pleases my inner resource-management economist.
>>
>>44752919
>How usable is AdEva?
It's going to bitch and complain if you take it even slightly out of its genre, so I hope your kaiju are mind-and-physics-raping Angel expies and your mecha are basically exactly as fragile as Evas are.
>Is Chthulutech fine for saving civilians in the middle of a monster attack?
Fuck no. CTech barely functions in any respect, let alone its most neglected subgame.
>Can I use Eclipse Phase characters as Mechs and say they are defending a colony ship with tiny people?
In the same sense you could do so in M&M-but-without-powers, I guess. So ultrageneric d20/d100.
>>
>>44752919
>How usable is AdEva?
Very good, though it focuses a lot on the effects of warfare on your PCs. If that's not what you want your game to be about, it won't work well for it.

Mechanically, Cthulhutech portrays a Lovecraftian horror mecha setting... so civilian casualties are assumed to be common, and you should more focus on the big picture threat (that said, it is mechanically a terribly balanced game).

>Can I use Eclipse Phase characters as Mechs and say they are defending a colony ship with tiny people?
There are size mechanics and power suits in it already. Mecha could very well be built in Eclipse Phase's mechanics.
>>
>>44752919

>How usable is AdEva?

Cthulhutech is trash. Don't bother with it.

AdEva does have rules for collateral damage and shit like saving buildings and civilians, BUT it is also VERY linked to its source material.
>>
>>44753005
>>44752989
Thanks. I'm liking this and I hope OP is too.

Is Jovian Chronicles usable for a Macross campaign?

Can I root Engine Heart for giant robots?
>>
>>44750307
Ironically refluffed DnD 4e.
>>
>>44753235
>Is Jovian Chronicles usable for a Macross campaign?

Absolutely. Jovian is all about Real Mecha.
There's alternatively the Robotech RPG too, but I never played that.

If you want something int he veins of Macross/Gundam, I'd say either Jovian C. or Chris Perrin's Mecha.
>>
>>44753235
>Can I root Engine Heart for giant robots?

Unless you're doing Patlabor meets Cyberiad, nyet.
>>
>>44753286
How good is it as that then, because it sounds like something I want.

Has anyone else enjoyed a Mecha campaign that they can story time?
>>
>>44752989
>>44753005

I feel obligated to mention that the current version of AdEva not only can be played sans-AT fields, but you can cut out most of the psychological stuff simply by ignoring the Stress and Ego mechanics.

You lose out on content, and I am sure that a couple of things suddenly lose their balancing factor, but the game is still playable under those conditions. Fights will just be shorter because both sides are more vulnerable, and pilots will not go crazy.

Which just means they are going to have to really double down on their Aspects, since they wont be gaining Luck from RPing their traumas.

V3 was made to be pretty modular and easy to swap parts in and out of as needed. It won't fit for all mecha games, but mecha vs kaiju is really close to what it does already, depending on the powers of the kaiju.
>>
>>44753907
It's okay at it. Just remember that it was meant for smallish civilian robots, so expect more philosophy and improvised weapons than city-busting brawls.
>>
>>44750335
underrated
>>
What is the easiest giant robot game to get into?
>>
>>44756380
Heavy Gear is pretty rule light
>>
>>44750307
There is a FATE book for it. Though it is very weaboo in places.
>>
Couldn't you use a superhero game like M&M to run battles with giant monsters? I mean, that is a relatively common occurence.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.