[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So fa/tg/uys, I was playing through KoToR once more and something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: KoToR.png (662 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
KoToR.png
662 KB, 768x960
So fa/tg/uys, I was playing through KoToR once more and something suddenly hit me. It was during a part where the game had quite clearly laid a plot point out for me, involving some 'Odor', a 'corpse pile', a 'frag grenade' and a violently hungry Rancor.

Me being the player, genuinely missed out on these obvious hints, got my Rogue friend to stealth it up and plant mines everywhere to which I shot the Rancor and had it chase her while she led it through an explosive death trap.

This is when I realised I wasn't just playing a tabletop game on a digital platform, it was that the characters therein where players. All of them and here is my theory for each of them:

Main Character

This player just got into tabletop, his partner has been doing it a while and he wasn't allowed to play a game without her so he agreed to join her group. Knowing it was his first game, GM decides to do something a little special for him, lets him have visions, make choices that determine certain aspects of the story. This guy isn't too bothered, he's just having a good time playing.

Carth Onasai

This guy is THE roleplayer of the group. Backstories that are novel length, dealing with betrayal and hurt but still trying so hard to be a good guy. Almost Shakespearean... if it wasn't for the fact that when everyone else is having a good time, he's trying to ram some preachy message into the story or to the table via his character.

Mission & Big Z

The lovable RP duo, best buds and people aren't sure if the players themselves are in a relationship together or not. They're the players who just enjoy a good laugh and know not to take RP too seriously, they'll invest in the story but know how to take things lightly.

>to be cont...
>>
>...cont

Bastilla

The Main Player's spouse. She has been RPing for so long that she feels she knows everything and tries to lead the group to her decisions as she seems to think she know's best even though at this game everyone is trying to make sure the Main is having a good time seeing as it's first RP experience. She can't have that, she has to be in the limelight, SHE has to be the most important one and throws the most hissy fit of all hissy fits to try and get her way, heck the GM just goes with this and she can't believe she has to be responsible for her actions so on the story goes.

T3-M8

This guy, is the one at every RP but he doesn't RP much... more of a skill monkey and there for the fat loots more than anything, prefers to 'roll-play' instead of 'roleplay' but he doesn't bother anyone and hearing him beep and boop at the table can actually be pretty humorous.

Canderous

So here we have the wish-fufilment, this is the guy who hasn't always been the most popular and probably rejected more times than not, but here in RP land? He decides to be the most bad-ass merciless gun-totin mercenary there is... unfortunately he just comes across as a bit of a dick and you can't call him out on it because you know he'll just whine about 'thats my character!' so you all leave him to it. Though having him and the 'Bastilla' character interact can provide quality entertainment.

HK-47

This is the guy who brings the beers and the snacks, he enjoys hanging out with his mates and doesn't overall know how to RP much but he's social enough that he picks it up fairly quickly. He decides to just have a right laugh, he isn't overly invested in the story, he just wants to have a good time with his mates. So here he is, making the most evil and ridiculous character there is, but he allowed himself one rule... he HAS to follow orders so he doesn't ruin the game for anyone else, so instead of shooting up all the orphans he just smacks talk everything and anything he sees.
>>
Just my observation of these characters and what their players might be like, so /tg/, my question to you. Have you ever played a game, read a book or watched a movie/show and thought to yourself what the players would be like if the media you were engrossed in was a tabletop RP?

Do tell if any such ideas have came to you!
>>
I actually really like this idea, OP. Not a complete faggot for once. Screencapped if anyone's interested.

I'm gonna do a twist on this and break down the major Fire Emblem protagonists as PCs.
>>
>>44750001

Glad you enjoyed and please do! Entire point of this tread is exactly as you said, breaking down main protagonists as PC's.
>>
Wha about jolee and juhani?

Also canderous more than wish fullfillment looks like that kind of guy who builds up a character only to shoot things, regardless of setting. He makes his PC very grumpy so he doesn't have to deal with RP but can come up with a pretty decent background if you force hus ass on it. also may or may not have made his PC so that it is the exact opposite to Carth, just to be a dick to him
>>
File: KotOR MCs.png (347 KB, 1298x1180) Image search: [Google]
KotOR MCs.png
347 KB, 1298x1180
Marth: First time player, probably got pushed into it by a DM who really wanted to run this cliche as fuck adventure he made for a group that just wanted to play D&D. His character motivations are really simple, and he doesn't do all that much RP, he just kinda kills baddies. He also built his character poorly, so half of the NPCs outshine him just by existing.

Lin, Eliwood, Hector: The DM finally convinced his original players to give this adventure a try. They're pretty good RPers and build their characters decently, and they discover that it's actually pretty fun.

Roy: Player from last game was asked to play test an adventure again, and he's really good friends with the DM, so he obliges. He still hasn't figured out how to build a character yet, and the DM picked up on this, so half way through the story he just gives him an awesome sword and lets him promote like the NPCs have been all this time.

Ike: Our first time player has really gotten into tabletop, and this time HE asks to go on an adventure. He brings along a build he got online that lets him solo most of the game, so the DM throws him an enemy that he literally can't hurt until the end of the adventure. He's picking up on RP as well, in part because the DM made up some really good NPCs for him to bounce off of.

Radiant Dawn: DM decides to bring first time player guy into the main group, now that he's proficient with the system. He insists on bringing his OP character from last game, but the DM makes it clear that he's not as good as he was last game. Unfortunately, DM underestimates the OP character; he's exactly as good.
>>
>>44750253
Awakening: Yet another adventure, but the DM is starting to get into some weird romance story shit. The adventure is still there though, so nobody really complains. The player decides that playing his OP character has lost its fun, so he revisits his first character. The DM tells him that this game takes place in the far future relative to that adventure, so the player just goes "Then it's my daughter!"
>>
>>44750157
Jolee is the forever GM allowed to play for once. His character is complex but doesn't grate like Carth, he's set his character up so he doesn't intrude on anyone else's fun since his story already happened, and he takes a mentor role to the new player, allowing himself to be used as an info/hint dump as necessary by the current GM because he's been there before. Most importantly, Jolee allows him to complain about all the typical rpg bullshit he's had to put up with over the years in a lighthearted, tongue in cheek manner.
>>
>>44750661
And Juhani is That Guy, right?
>>
>>44750157
Juhani is the main guys nerdy friend who made a special snowflake character but toned her down after the rest of the group talked to her about it. She's kind and friendly but still create a few awkward moments with her roleplaying.
>>
>Jedi Exile
Just getting into roleplaying, created their character with the GM's help.

>Kreia
The DM who runs a mentor recurring NPC that stays out of the way. An elderly woman from the unforgiving 1e days, she runs the game to point out every flaw in Star Wars.

>Atton
A reformed Emo player - one who likes tragic, traumatic backstories but isn't big on despair.

>The Handmaiden
The guy playing a female Amazon character. He likes the idea of romancing the Exile from a purely roleplaying perspective - I mean there's totally nothing behind it, it's just for the game man... Kreia!DM's son.

>Visas
Unrepentantly Emo girl. A new roleplayer. She's so excited Star Wars actually can be 'mature'. Made to remove the part of her backstory where Nihilus rapes her.
>>
>>44749511
>He decides to be the most bad-ass merciless gun-totin mercenary there is...
See though, that's not what Canderous wants to be. He doesn't want to be a bounty hunter, if anything he's sick of his job and always has been. If anything you want to push wish fulfilment on it'd be "Jedi padawan that's essential to the Republic war effort" bastila.

Canderous strikes me as someone entirely differing from what you're talking about.
>>
>>44752920
I don't know. I think Juhani gets more grief as a character than she deserves-Bastilla's bossiness, betrayal, and vaguely BDSM dark side angle all struck me as more that guy things.

If Revan is the new player, than Juhani's player is the second newest and still figuring things out in their first game the GM's let them have full creative control. They have a tragic backstory involving slavery and are set up to go full dark and brooding lone wolf, but between the GM and Juhani's player getting better/understanding that Revan's player won't put up with that shit, they manage to make it more of a redemption arc rather than a Punisher Cathar arc. They still struggle to make their character different from themself, hence the accent, embracing angry Cathar stereotypes, and hints of lesbianism, but overall the player's heart is in the right place.
>>
>>44752986
>Kreia
That's actually me, messing with the alignment system, doing "good deeds" for the wrong reasons and "evil deeds" for the right reasons and manipulating every NPC along the way.
>>
>>44753293
No messing with the alignment system at all. She uses other people as disposable tools (evil) to bring down an ordered framework (chaotic). Therefore, Kreia is Chaotic Evil.
>>
>>44753293
>>44753373
I like how Kreia, the party member with the most dialogue (I think) in the game, never, EVER, tells you the entire truth about something. It's refreshing to not have an "old mentor figure that you can blindly trust" in an RPG for once.
>>
>>44753373
No, she attempts to redeem herself but changes her mind as she notices how the Jedi treats the exile.
>>
>>44749393
>Playing a video game with a d20 based engine
>Not realizing it was tabletop game.
>>
>>44753485
I played Dark Side. That didn't happen for me.
>>
>>44753613

To explain the joke, obviously I knew it was based on a d20 engine, I enjoy Bioware and very well aware of their source material for their games.

I was more meaning that through the characters, I could IMAGINE the players behind them and what they'd be like and it was amusing to me. That was all
>>
>>44753625
Then, she did scold you for being stupid evil at least once, and you made her lose faith in humanity.
>>
>>44749393
So basically Darths & Droids?
>>
>>44753485
You're saying if the Jedi never turned on the Exile then Kreia would have gone through a redemption arc?

>>44753213
Juhani is the DMPC who the new guy accidentally killed because all he thought when he first encountered her was "boss fight".
>>
>>44754068
More or less except playing the characters straight instead of trying to subvert them.
>>
>>44754163
Yes. Failing that, she instead tries to use the exile to put an end to the ultimate evil: The Force.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.