[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese Tabletop RPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7
File: JTTRPG 1.png (2 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
JTTRPG 1.png
2 MB, 1280x1024
>The Imperial Treasure Chest: https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ
Newest addition: the Official Ar Tonelico RPG!
>Chat/Scanlation/Sharing room:
https://discord.gg/0lBHRD5AVt8nrm2Y

What are you playing?
What have you bought recently?
What are you excited to run?
>>
>What do you hope will be scanned?
Night Wizard 3rd Edition in its entirety.
>>
>>44748515
>japanese tabletop
This is a thing? How does it distinguish itself from regular rpg's? Are they made in Japan? Do you play them in Japanese? Is the art exclusively mange?
>>
>>44748658
Yes, no, pretty much yes.
>>
>>44748660
Then why would you bother focussing on exclusively Japanese games?
>>
>>44748678
Because they're neat and often have a different design philosophy to western games.
>>
>>44748678
Because there's a lot of niche games out there that are fun to talk about? I'm not sure what the problem is.
>>
>>44748678
>Then why would you bother focussing on exclusively Japanese games?
Because they're quite a bit different from western games. Same reason we have slavic mythology threads.
>>
>>44748695
>>44748702
>>44748756
No problem, just wondering what makes them distinctive. I get that there are fun, niche game designs around, but it seems weird that they are bound to a culture.
>>
>>44748702
Any good ones you'd like to recommend?
>>
>>44748791
Personally, I see this as 'the place to discuss japanese games' just like we have 'the place to discuss pathfinder' and 'the place to meme about 40k'.
>>
>>44748844
Depends on what kind of game you want.

Double Cross is what I feel is probably the most popular first Japanese TTRPG so you can check out that if you want. It's about a crazy mutant virus infecting people with superpowers and having to fight off threats while trying to keep the virus from overtaking their minds.

A notable mechanic is that you basically keep reviving after 0 HP and can't die unless your encroachment rate(how much the virus is overtaking you) is too high and using your powers increases that encroachment. Way too high encroachment rate also means you're character just becomes a monster and becomes an NPC.

So it's basically a reverse death spiral where you really have to think about whether you're fuck-off powerful attack is really worth it this combat encounter or if you should save it for the next guy.
>>
If I wanted a comfy game where I can level up my character from time to time but still be able to enjoy a good time in my base/house, which one do you guys recommend?
>>
>>44748844
Tenra Bansho Zero has my favorite chargen system in any game I've played: you pick a bunch of archetypes from a list, all of which come with skills, equipment, and a Fate - something which drives your character. For example, the Swordmaster archetype (for those who want to be Kenshin) gives ranks in Melee weapons, a fancy sword, and a Fate that indicates you've sworn a vow never to take another life. You can mix and mach archetypes up to a total cost of 108 karma (the swordmaster I mentioned is 30), and that gives you not only your starting stats and gear, but some ways you can define your character's goals and personality.

You do not, however, have to (or even have the ability to) take the Fates of all your archetypes - you start the game with two Fates, and most characters will start with 2-4 archetypes.
>>
>>44748923
Ryuutama or Golden Sky Stories. Ryuutama is a bit more traditional fantasy adventure except far more focused on the travel itself over fighting. Think Oregon Trail meets SoL anime.

Golden Sky Stories is a non-combat game about being minor nature spirit things called henge(basically fox/cat/tanuki/etc. girls/boys in apperance) and helping out the humans in the village to increase your own power. It's also a resource rather than dice based game.
>>
I looking up Ryuutama, is it any good?
>>
>>44749060
More important question, is it available in the US?
>>
>>44749060
I love it, but one thing to keep in mind is when it comes to the journey table players need to RP often and GMs need to use the rolls as a springboard for cool events instead of just letting it be something they skim past. The Ryuujin as a concept might take a bit of getting used to for some too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i3cumn662h7j5bj/hot_dragon_girl_action.7z

Have a download link since I think the mega archive is missing it right now.
>>
>>44749119
It's been officially translated, yes.
>>
>>44749122
>hot_dragon_girl_action.7z
Wat
>>
>>44749119
Yes.

It's even available for purchase if you want to support the translators: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151366/Ryuutama--Natural-Fantasy-Roleplay
>>
>>44749163
The game's got dragon people as a core concept. It's a joke name; don't worry about it.
>>
>>44749122
thanks, I've heard the Spanish version is somewhat better with optional rules from the creator, etc. Do you know the differences?
>>
>>44749277
I haven't looked into the Spanish version myself, but it's likely it's just adding stuff from the supllements/official blogs into it, whereas the English localization is releasing those as it's own thing eventually down the line I believe.
>>
>>44749277
I don't, spanish isn't my area of expertise, but I do know there are additional resources available at http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/ for the english version.
>>
>>44749335
thanks, anon
>>
File: rinnosuke thumbs up_1.jpg (47 KB, 541x650) Image search: [Google]
rinnosuke thumbs up_1.jpg
47 KB, 541x650
>>44749350
>>
>>44748515
Is there even a way to make playing a defensive tank in DX viable? The few times I played made for a damage race against the boss before Encroachment Rate got too high.

It was really fun, but I'm curious if the system supports other kinds of play.
>>
>>44749387
The time I played, the guy who went (I think) Bram Stoker/Morpheus just soaked everything that got thrown at him.

I know the former, at least, has a lot of nice guard-boost powers.
>>
>>44749442
Interesting. I'll definitely try that combo out sometime.
>>
>>44749122
>Have a download link since I think the mega archive is missing it right now.
Right, sorry. Added.
>>
bump

New discussion question: What are your favorite Double Cross Syndromes?
>>
Someone in the previous thread said that he is half way done with Tokyo Nova, do you happen to have an ETA as to when will you finish it? The setting looks amazing.
>>
I'm not very well versed with these games, so I have a question for the thread, if that's okay.

If you could introduce mechanics, concepts, and/or themes from Japanese TRPGs into Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition, which ones would they be and why? Essentially, how would you change or improve the game using material from Japanese tabletop gaming?
>>
>>44754149
The Japanese games that got an official translation now are so different from D&D that I just don't think it's possible.
>>
>>44754149

Probably the Japanese TTRPG culture of "stop fucking around let's get into it."

All of their games are built understanding that gaming time is rare or literally expensive, and multi-month sprawling campaigns are neither feasible nor common.

While western gamers don't have it quite as bad as their islander counterparts, I think there's definitely a sense of that, especially as gamers start to get older and more busy with their individual lives.

So I'd port in things like relationship charts to kickstart interaction rather than having that dithering-around feeling-each-other-out phase, mechanics where advancement is either incredibly fast or not that relevant to the game (e.g. TBZ where you can start at "max level" right off, but with downsides), etc.
>>
>>44754149
I don't know shit about 5e so I guess I'll go with the thing I want to see in every game:

TBZ has what's called a 'Dead Box', the last of your wound boxes. Normally, it never fills - you can get the shit beat out of you, get thrown off a cliff, get stomped on by a dragon, w/e - you'll be out of commission for a while, maybe even a long while, but you won't die.

But...

You can choose voluntarily to check it, giving you a massive bonus to attacks and letting you ignore your wounds for a single battle - but also opening you to the possibility of death. If you get knocked to 0, you're dead. It lets you choose what fights your character would feel are worth dying for, and I think that's super neat.
>>
>>44754423
Oh, and it also prevents rusty dagger shanktown from happening, that's good too. I'd like to see more games make death something that always has meaning.
>>
>>44754200
I was hoping that maybe something like Log Horizon might have insights, DX possibly as well. I guess that sucks.

>>44754337
Kickstart party relationships - sounds like Apocalypse World mechanics. Removing or circumventing leveling up is a good idea as well. Thanks!

>>44754423
>>44754453
Cool idea, might not work in a more grim campaign but I definitely like the idea for more heroic fantasy. Being able to 'toggle' your final defence off in return for getting bonuses and ignoring certain penalties is also really neat. Thanks!
I'd love to hear more, if you've got 'em.
>>
>>44754629
Let's see, what else.

I wish more games had spell lists like Ryuutama's, where instead of chucking fireballs you're conjuring up piles of leaves and summoning up the Knights of Cleaning - magic as little things that make life easier, not necessarily as the be-all end-all of combat. (There are some combat spells, but it's generally better to just attack and save your MP for the fun stuff, at least at lower levels).
>>
>>44754149
If there's one thing I like about SRS (and I think it really is the only thing), it's the mix-and-match class system. I honestly don't give many fucks about 5E and can't remember its multi-classing rules, but I love the kind of "light-template" flexibility of some of the games' classes, which also includes "races" as a kind of class. Much more streamlined than the race/class/prestige class/CR race/Half-whatever Template hodgepodge that 3.x used, but maintaining all those different potential options.
>>
>>44748695
How exactly does the design philosophy differ?

The only real difference I have seen is that there is a much greater emphasis on "gamism" over "narrativism" in JTTRPGs.

I've noticed in games like Night Wizard or Meikyuu (I think that's how it's spelled) Kingdom the setting exists primarily to justify the game's mechanics.
>>
>>44754149
Does tearing out the entirety of D&D 5e and replacing it with a whole JTTRPG count?
The only part of 5e I would not try to replace with something from a better system is the Trinket table.

>>44755060
Ryuutama and Golden Sky Stories would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>44749122
>>44750998
To which mega archive are you referring? Would you please link it for people who are interested?
>>
>>44755894
The one in the OP.
>>
>>44755894
>To which mega archive are you referring? Would you please link it for people who are interested?
Please pay more attention in the future. Thank you.
>>
Does anyone have sea/wagon travel rules for Ryuutama from french supplement?
>>
>>44755973
>>44755996
The OP has two links, neither of which are referred to as a mega archive; it occurred to me that you could be referring to any number of things. Fuck me for asking a question I guess.
>>
>>44756037
>The OP has two links, neither of which are referred to as a mega archive
What?
> it occurred to me that you could be referring to any number of things. Fuck me for asking a question I guess.
Why are you in tabletop when inferring things or collecting information that's not handed to you is something you do not enjoy?

Genuine question. I mean, I guess you could be all into dungeon crawls but even those have puzzles sometimes.
>>
>>44756088
>The Imperial Treasure Chest: https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ

>mega.nz
>>
File: varying degrees of lewd.jpg (199 KB, 501x739) Image search: [Google]
varying degrees of lewd.jpg
199 KB, 501x739
>>44748515
>the Official Ar Tonelico RPG!
wait what
WAIT WHAT
>>
>>44756173
Not OP but the one who contributed it: As far as I can tell it's a fan-made game, but my moon is extremely bad. Either way, it's definitely AT and definitely in Japanese.

Misha is not for lewding.
>>
>>44756172
Because clearly they should have latched onto the one shared word. Be serious, man.

They asked and it was answered. That's good enough.
>>
>>44748515
>>44746693
>>
>>44756301
Actually, I linked to the wrong post, I meant to link to >>44756037.

please disregard, I suck cocks by choice, etc.
>>
>>44756088
"The OP has two links, neither of which are referred to as a mega archive." There's no way for me to be more straightforward about this.
>Why are you in tabletop when inferring things or collecting information that's not handed to you is something you do not enjoy?
The irony. You even follow this up with "Genuine question"; you you think you might have answered your own question there?
>>
>>44756905
Alright, if you say so I'll not argue. Consider yourself the winner of this argument.
>>
>>44756944
A little passive aggressive for my taste, but whatever floats your boat.

Then again, if you're actually interested you don't have to argue, you can just explain that you're not getting it and ask again. I'd be happy to explain if you're into it.
>>
How do I get shit added to the folder in the OP?
>>44757051
K.
>>
>>44757068
Post it here or bring it up in the discord room.
>>
>>44757051
I'm not the person you have been talking to, but I'd like the explanation if you are willing.
>>
>>44757359
Just because I enjoy puzzles in life and in games doesn't mean I'm above just asking people when I have a genuine question, in a general thread that is exactly for sharing information and discussion.
>>
Anima isn't Japanese but it's very inspired by Japanese things so can it be discussed here?
>>
>>44758294
Man fuck off with your stupid questions. If you wanna talk about it, just talk about it.
>>
>>44758294
No.
>>
>>44758328
>>44758337
Agreement on this question seems a little low. It is probably a good idea they asked for clarification.
>>
>>44758241
Won't stop people from treating you like the idiot you are, though.
>>
>>44758294
This isn't a thread for settings based on Japan, it's a thread for games written in Japanese.
>>
>>44755368
Fair enough.

Still, I'm curious how exactly the design philosophy differs.
>>
File: 1page TRPG Bread.png (506 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1page TRPG Bread.png
506 KB, 600x849
Saw this "1 Page TRPG" about baking bread pop up on my Twitter so I thought I would post it here
>>
File: 1page TRPG Bread.png (1 MB, 2479x3508) Image search: [Google]
1page TRPG Bread.png
1 MB, 2479x3508
>>44759156
I'm dumb and should have posted the huge version instead so people might actually read it (if they know Japanese)
>>
File: they're the worst.gif (3 MB, 360x441) Image search: [Google]
they're the worst.gif
3 MB, 360x441
>>44759355
I'm just going to sit here and laugh at you.
>>
Sorry for not replying last thread, ended up sleeping in and going into work before catching the thread. To answer questions...

>>44727286
http://swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_World_Wiki?cb=8186
This is where I've been plugging away at things for the past, oh, 3-4 years off and on.

>>44728485
Regarding splats, I happen to have scans of Alchemist Works, Wizard's Tome, and Cardia Grace. I haven't done anything with them as of yet, due to the aforementioned laptop meltdown.

If you want to take on some work once you're done with TNX, I'd be more than happy to help out in any way I can.

>>44748515
Ooh, a discord room! Count me in.
>>
File: TBZ Hardcover.jpg (158 KB, 957x553) Image search: [Google]
TBZ Hardcover.jpg
158 KB, 957x553
>>44748515
>What are you playing?
Nothing general related at the moment, currently running an Age of Rebellion game though

>What have you bought recently?
Pic related

>What are you excited to run?
Pic related

Finally came in the mail, really didn't like not having tracking info but things worked out eventually.

Books are real pretty looking, glad I decided to spend a little extra for the nice hardcovers.
>>
>>44748515
>Zettai Reido not even in raws folder
>>
Goodnight /jtg/
>>
>>44759002
Well, there is more of a focus on quick play in the form of:
- One-shots
- Formulaic session structure
- Pregens
- Quick / simplified character creation
Combat is often similar to 4e, meant to be engaging on its own and leaving it up to the players to fill in the narrative gaps.
>>
>>44763204
Daaaamn, those are nice.
>>
>>44763204
I am jelly.
>>
>>44766595
You forgot the obsession with the d6 and random charts.
>>
Can anyone tell me about the TTRPG culture in Japan? I've heard how game sessions are kind of like speed dating when it comes to forming parties. But how and when did TTRPG's get introduced over there, and how did Call of Cthulhu get popular?
>>
>>44748515
>Newest addition: the Official Ar Tonelico RPG!
I just spat my tea out.
>>
>>44769268
For the longest time, it was less an obsession and more of a necessity, as polyhedral dice were prohibitively expensive over there. 6-sided dice were much easier to find and purchase.

Of course, that's all changed over the past 30 years, but Japan is notorious for resisting change and so most systems stay with the d6s.

As for random charts, I couldn't tell ya. :^)

Personally, I think it helps make things faster to play, as it's less work on the GM to come up with things when they could just roll on a chart instead.

One of the things that sets Japanese TTRPG players apart from Western ones is that play space is far more limited. Japanese households tend to have everyone in the living room/family room, and for a family member to commandeer the space to be able to play games with friends is absolutely gauche.

Thus, gamers tend to play in public places, which leads to having to be in and out within a relatively short period of time (a couple of hours or so). I've even heard of some groups renting karaoke rooms in order to play whether this is true or not, I don't know, which would start getting prohibitively expensive rather quick. As such, the faster everything can be created, run, and packed up, the better. As mentioned above, random charts help with that.
>>
>>44770162
We can dream, anon. We can dream.
>>
>>44770162
It's not official.
It's painfully obvious that it's just fan made.
>>
>>44770024
>But how and when did TTRPG's get introduced over there
As I recall, the very first introduction was in the late 70's and early 80's when a few exchange students and the like would bring back copies of D&D, and every now and then you could find imports of English-language games in hobby shops. The first Japanese original games (stuff like Star Quest and Roads to Lord) came out in the early 80's. They were put out by wargaming companies, and as far as I know didn't generate much steam. The first Japanese translation of D&D came out in '85, and that's when it started to get a bit more popular, compared to the isolated people playing with their own translations before that. CoC was released there in 86, so its popularity is probably due in part simply to its longevity.

The real boom started when the Lodoss replays were published in Comptiq and became really popular. This lead to them having to create their own system when they went to reprint them because of licensing issues with TSR, which eventually spawned Sword World and really kicked off a flood of Japanese original games as well as their replay culture.
>>
>>44770493
Are replays any different than western companies that making a popular fanmade module official and selling that?
>>
>>44770493
I'm way jelly of Nipland's replay shit. AP's are still way fucking niche compared to the size of the RPG industry and none of them are pro in any way. MAYBE kinda sorta Titansgrave and the Witchhunter campaign could be seen as a first try, but ya.
>>
>>44770493
Also the typical "anime RPG" aesthetics, like huge weapons and huge pointy ears, were derived from Warhammer figurines.

>>44770527
A replay isn't a module, it's a transcript of a session.
>>
>>44770527
I'm not sure what you mean. Official replays are planned, and often include nerd-famous people like authors, artists, and game designers as the players.
>>
>>44770539
On the other hand, reading is for fags(TM), so it really took the internet for actual plays to take off in the English-speaking world. I doubt that the published form would ever have been particularly popular here, especially not with the price premium on most gaming material in America. Japan at least has its huge pulp publishing industry to exploit for them and sell them dirt cheap. They can even pump out 300-page rulebooks for sub-1000 yen (less than 10 bucks American) which is awesome even if a lot of them are kinda trash games that skimp on art and material quality to reach that price point.
>>
>>44770632
>On the other hand, reading is for fags(TM), so it really took the internet for actual plays to take off in the English-speaking world. I doubt that the published form would ever have been particularly popular here, especially not with the price premium on most gaming material in America. Japan at least has its huge pulp publishing industry to exploit for them and sell them dirt cheap. They can even pump out 300-page rulebooks for sub-1000 yen (less than 10 bucks American) which is awesome even if a lot of them are kinda trash games that skimp on art and material quality to reach that price point.
Sad but true. We've just not got the kind of support for print material here.
>>44770527
Uh, it's nothing like that.
>>
Night Wizards question, should I ban Dark Hero? It seems like bad news for everyone. If there is a NW GM here how do you make sure the party works together?
>>
>>44770943
By bringing your fist down and telling your players not to be a bunch of stupid dicks.
>>
>>44770943
>Night Wizards question, should I ban Dark Hero? It seems like bad news for everyone
Get good players.
>If there is a NW GM here how do you make sure the party works together?
FEAR allows you to enforce Connections. Make full use of that. I think our Taoist Gunslinger has posted already. His Connection inside the party is Rival, and he has it with the divine edgelord since he kind of has a habit of one-upping him very casually. Due to how the Crimson Moon can be seen quite a long way off they used to run into one another a lot. The rest of the party you can declare to be at the scene for various reasons. Once the Dive has initiated it's in the PC's interests to work together in order to escape.
>>
>>44770943
If you're talking about like, party-level concerns, keep in mind that Dark Heroes are Wizards. That is to say, even if they get their power from Emulators, they have chosen to be Wizards. They can be dicks. They can be anti-heroes. But they're there to fight Emulators, full stop. If they weren't, they wouldn't be Wizards. Being a Dark Hero just means they got their power the only way they could: through making a deal with an Emulator.

>>44771461
How's your game going, anyway? I feel like you have a better grip on this whole thing than I do and I translated the thing, ha ha.
>>
>>44771702
One thing I can tell you so far is your suggestion to just full heal over use natural recovery rules is not a good idea, provided you ever get time to rest in a Lunar Casket. We've discovered attrition is a big aspect to keeping the game challenging so getting max HP and MP on a rest during a Dive just makes things too easy.

Or maybe our party is just particularly OP. Need a larger sample size of games and parties to find out.
>>
>>44771803
I admit that was bad advice anyway, and I probably should've just kept my thoughts out of it... and when I release the new version, that's exactly what I'm doing (though I might provide advice in like a troubleshooting section or something.)

It seemed dumb to give partial healing, but that's just when reading the rule. You don't know how it'll work when you're in a Dive and facing down monsters.

Thank you for the feedback, though.
>>
>>44771702
>I feel like you have a better grip on this whole thing than I do and I translated the thing, ha ha.
Why do you say that?
>>
>>44771983
I started the project back in May 2015 and finished Christmas 2015, so I've forgotten lots of the rules. There's something like 1000+ skill blocks between the three books, so I've been mired in +[SLx3]'s for a long time and forgotten most of what I'd written.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.