[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you go about explaining to your girlfriend what tabletop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1450065243925.jpg (26 KB, 189x503) Image search: [Google]
1450065243925.jpg
26 KB, 189x503
How do you go about explaining to your girlfriend what tabletop is and what you do when you go out for the night to play with the boys?

Or do you not even bother and just tell her you're going out for some drinks?
>>
>>44742603
It's like acting or collaborative storytelling wherein we play there wizard, hobbits, Archer elf guy and dwarf from LotR and our friend Mark is the world we interact with and plays all the people we talk to and the orcs we kill.

Like a video game but with friends and fast more freedom in what we do and what it's about.
>>
>>44742603

I've told my girlfriend several times I've run/played in RPGs and all she's done is say it sounds fun. I have no interest in someone who won't at the least accept the fact I like my hobbies.

That said, it's probably wise to table conversations about Elves and shit when on a first date with someone.
>>
>>44742603
I just tell her I'm going to hang out with my friends. I don't ask her what she does with hers.
>>
We go together and have fun trying to murder one another in d&d

Or we save each other from Carnifaxes by rolling 6s as sand people in 40k, then we jump up and scream like star wars sand people

It's nice to have the hobby together
>>
I tell her I'm going to go play pretend with my besties and ask where she put my robe and wizard hat
>>
>>44742603
>girlfriend
Is it worth the effort?
I'm honestly asking.
I have friends and Mr Handy.
>>
>>44742603
Shouldnt really have to in a world where getting more information than you ever wanted about rps is more available than it has ever been.

If your gf cant handle google, try dating someone under 75.
>>
File: 1349072744234.jpg (96 KB, 946x846) Image search: [Google]
1349072744234.jpg
96 KB, 946x846
Fucking children

You talk to her
You tell her about the fun you and your friends have.
You ask her to be patient with the huge time sink this involves. She most likely asks you to curtail the time (jealousy/envy), or even asks to participate.
You as a human being deal with life. Possibly as an adult.

Grow the fuck up and learn how to adult. Goddamn
>>
>>44742657
>that Cylon paladin

THIS SMITING HAS HAPPENED BEFORE, AND IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN
>>
>>44742603
Sweetums, what are you hosting tonight? Should I bring my investigator or my space pirate?
>>
>>44742709
>Is it only for sex?
Not worth it

>Is it for emotional aspect?
Still not worth it

Basically you want someone with who you could be best bud for life, you know each other bad point but it doesn't matter because you enjoy each other company, you don't need to agree on everything, you can talk shit about each other and while you might get in a real fight every once in a while you know it'll be fine because it happened before and will happen in the future.
t. Someone in a relationship of 10 years though we were friend since kindergarten
>>
>>44742603
Same way I explain my vidya addiction. Better this than coming home drunk from the pub every weekend. I don't question her hand bag and cosmetics expenditure, she don't question my hobbies.
>>
>>44742603

It is like a video game but where you actually have to go outside and interact with people face to face. It also involves using your imagination, reasoning, and math skills instead of mindlessly pushing the same set of buttons endlessly.
>>
File: Knight of the Best-Girl.jpg (42 KB, 296x289) Image search: [Google]
Knight of the Best-Girl.jpg
42 KB, 296x289
>>44742603
>explaining to your girlfriend what tabletop is
She gets it, and she couldn't care less. Also, she plays MMOs herself, and she knew I was huge nerd from day 1, so it's not like she can really complain. If anything, she's envious that I have RL friends and she doesn't.

Also,
>2015+1
>Having an SO who doesn't approve of your hobbies
>Letting miserable people take away the things you love

Step it up. If you want an SO that badly, we have the internet. You can find someone who doesn't hate your hobbies.
>>
>>44742817
This is... surprisingly adroit and kind advice, given where we are. Well said, anon. I couldn't have said it more accurately myself.
>>
File: 1450298972779.png (1 MB, 1243x877) Image search: [Google]
1450298972779.png
1 MB, 1243x877
>>44742817
Relationships today have a ton of media induced baggage before they even happen. Everyone has so many ideas in their heads about who they're supposed to be, what they deserve, and what makes a person, but it's all junk. Our biology demands procreation, but we keep inventing rules and conditions. Going by that I don't know a single successful family.

No, life is what happens in the meantime. Get out of your head and do what you feel like. If people don't like it they will tell you to stop. Only listen to them if they are who you are doing things with. No one else gets a say.
>>
>>44742789
That's the Pursuer from DkS2

Cylon paladin, however is a pretty cool idea.
>>
>>44742924
> If anything, she's envious that I have RL friends and she doesn't.

Not my business but that's a little depressing. You should invite her to your gaming sessions.
>>
>>44742603
It would really depend on your girlfriends personality and perspective on life.
Personally I would own it and just say you and some friends get together occasionally and eat, drink, talk about your lives and play make believe for a few hours. If you can say it confidently then most people will accept it even if they don't get the appeal or disapprove.
If she is more serious/less willing to tolerate 'childish' behavior then I would compare it to getting together with your friends to play board games or video games except with a focus on co-operative narrative building.
>>
>>44742603
"I'm going out for nerd stuff"
>>
>>44742603
>dating a nomalcuck
Stop. Just stop.

Your girlfriend doesn't even need to play tabletop. She just need too be not a massive piece of trash normie.
>>
>>44742603

I take my wife's son and later he tells her everything we did
>>
something to the effect of "I play role playing games. Like dungeons and dragons." I boil it down to the lowest common denominator. It doesn't matter if I'm playing D&D, 40k, or Maid. I keep it simple, because every idiot knows what D&D is, and trying to explain any particular world is a dozen pallets of worm-filled cans.
>>
>>44742603
1. I don't have a girlfriend
2. Even if I did, I would probablly be playing tabletops with her because I don't date normies
3. Even if I did date a normie, I would just tell her that I was playing TRPGs with some people. If she cares so much she can ask me straight up
>>
>>44743131
It's hard to find well adjusted non-normie grills. They all seem crazy or they're landwhales. I mean we all have flaws but still, standards are important.
>>
File: its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg (46 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg
46 KB, 500x375
>>44743131
>unironically using "normies"
the only trash here is you, anon.
>>
>>44743408

Not with that attitude bro, we should go running sometime you met a lot of people that way
>>
>>44743408
See I would except I go to college in bumfuck nowhere
>>
>>44743003

Hmm, so that's what that pic is. I knew it was ostensibly tied to Dark Souls but I just thought it was really, really funny so I have it saved to the Paladin folders in both my computers.

I always loved "Implacable Smite Machine" jokes.
>>
>>44743456
Where exactly do you run? Normal person activities have always fascinated me because I'm taking the steps to not being a reclusive fuckwit now that I'm an adult.
>>
>>44743505

The park, brah

Go to the biggest park in your city and just start running
>>
File: 1437075004297.jpg (10 KB, 240x217) Image search: [Google]
1437075004297.jpg
10 KB, 240x217
>>44743505

>normal person activities
>>
I tell her about it. She's not interested in playing or actually socializing with people because she's socially retarded, but she loves it when I tell her stories of what happened.
>>
>>44742603
She sort of knows what it is all about so there is no need to explain it. She often asks how things went, though. But I've never described the basics.
>>
>>44743594
I'm not trying to blend in if that's what you think fellow human, how silly would that be. Why would I have any reason to do such a thing.
>>
>>44742603
>go out for the night to play with the boys
First, you don't tell her this is what you're doing unless you're into that and she's okay with it.

Instead you simply explain to her what it is you're going to go do. You ask her if she's interested. With coherent sentences like you've been taught your whole life.

Regardless of her answer you go have a good time.

What is it with you guys and having shit-tier girlfriends?
>>
How culturally shallow is she if she does not understand and know about the concept of tabletop/wargaming/boardgaming/roleplaying?

And how emasculated are you if you're ashamed of it to the point where you're actually discussing the idea of lying to your girlfriend?

What the fuck?
>>
>>44742603
Had one gf and she played with us back in the day. Just be forward, good luck mate.
>>
>>44743505
No such thing as normal person activities.

The closest thing to "normal" would be the people who do fuckall with their life, maybe hang in bars or watch sports or like movies or TV series. Maybe they bitch and moan about family drama (often their own fault) and shit that pisses them off.

In short, they're boring.

It shouldn't be that hard to find an SO who does more than that shit, preferably with some obsession/deep hobby. Knitting seems pretty cool if you're into that, then there's painting, writing, creating music and so on. Heck, even video games can work.
>>
>>44743022
>Not my business but that's a little depressing. You should invite her to your gaming sessions.

Not that anon, but as someone with the same problem, yeah, it is. My group isn't IRL, sadly, but I do have a few IRL friends, my girlfriend doesn't, really.

The OP is a shitty topic, we should discuss how to actually engage our girlfriends that sorta needs it. Not because of some need to get into "our" hobby, but because they need to get some friends.

Been trying to get her to join us for ages but she says she's too shy, and then she baaaws over not having friends here. :|
>>
>>44743711

My own girl is in a similar boat; a long-term abusive ex of hers basically killed most of her social life outside of her immediate family. She's shy, but not antisocial and I've already introduced her to my regular game night friends when we got together to play Smash-up. They all hit it off, which is good.

sadly I don't think the relationship is going to work out, so I'm hesitant on inviting her to future stuff like our planned Fate game.

>Been trying to get her to join us for ages but she says she's too shy, and then she baaaws over not having friends here.

Try gathering up some of your IRL friends for a game and host it at your place. Doesn't necessarily need to be an RPG, could just be fun card games or even a movie night. But being in a safe and familiar environment might make her more comfortable about meeting your friends
>>
>>44742603
Easy. Here's the conversation:

I'm going to "Tuesday Night D&D" with the guys
>Okay, don't drink too much beer. I'm going to book club
K, don't get all fucked up drinking wine with your Aunt
>I won't. Come over after?

Then we lie in bed and I tell her her book sounded boring/girly and she tells me that my sesh sounded complicated and rambling. I think it's good that we share openly about our hobbies without forcing the other into hobbies they may not enjoy.
>>
>>44742603
>See ya later honey, I'm gonna go pretend to be an elf for a few hours
>>
desu one of my friends got dumped by his girlfriend after he told her that he plays D&D
>>
guys, its really simple. Take if from me, the experienced guy on the internet.

I have had many relationships where the girl didn't know what TRPGs were. 2 were serious.

One of the serious ones HATED trpgs. I lied to her about what I was doing, and it made for problems. We broke up later for unrelated reasons, and she has since converted and now plays D&D 3rd edition.

I am currently in a relationship with a formal normal girl, who had no idea what I was talking about when I said I was doing table top RPGs and said it wasn't D&D. She is the best and most dedicated player in all of the campaigns I am in / run, a hardcore D&D fanatic now and passionately believes that the Edge of the Empire character she runs is blessed by the elder gods with critical success in all attempts.

You win some and you lose some. My love of gaymin, a problem in one relationship, was a blessing in another that has strengthened our connection.

Its random, but stick to who you are. Just be honest and explain it as far as she is willing to listen. =)
>>
File: 1451376104166.gif (68 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
1451376104166.gif
68 KB, 500x293
>>44742714
>>
>>44743140
>my wife's son

C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>44742603
The other day I saw my father, a man who has been playing RPGs his entire life, pretend he didn't know something RPG related that came up in conversation. Why? To appear more credible to his wife of 30 goddamn years.

You have to own your interests OP. Don't be like him.
>>
>>44743595
How did you end up dating someone "socially retarded"?
>>
>>44743488
To be fair, that's basicly the Pursuer in a nutshell

it's your own fault for being undead
>>
>>44746609
It's pretty straightforward, you just need to isolate her at an early age and groom her to be your wife.
>>
>>44746769
>Grooming retards at an early age
>>
File: 1450807776266.png (59 KB, 511x321) Image search: [Google]
1450807776266.png
59 KB, 511x321
>>44742817
All of my female friends are either dead or have forgotten about me and I am not gay. The fuck do I do? Is there some way to make a new childhood friend that shares my interests in my 20s?

Alternatively, how long until I can completely ignore reality for long periods of time and slot BTL chips directly into my brain or play virtual reality sims?
>>
>>44742934
>Our biology demands procreation, but we keep inventing rules and conditions.

Not everybody is autistic anon.
>>
>>44742603

I play them with her, though she does get a little salty when I beat her at X-wing. It's not my fault if you run Biggs and a B-wing and fly around in formation doing green moves all the time, darling.
>>
>>44746769
no anon seriously. I've thought about it, and I don't understand how.
If she/he were socially retarded, where did you meet them, how did you get to know them, how did you fall for them, how did you interact and go on dates and shit.
>>
>>44742657
>swiggity swole, pursuing that soul.jpg
>>
File: 1452676541441.jpg (104 KB, 722x690) Image search: [Google]
1452676541441.jpg
104 KB, 722x690
>>44742603
>girlfriend
>>
>>44746916
>All of my female friends are either dead or have forgotten about me and I am not gay. The fuck do I do? Is there some way to make a new childhood friend that shares my interests in my 20s?

Meet new people, talk with them hang out with them and most important of all be honest with them. Don't get tricked by your emotions, nor should you expect much, you're looking for someone that will accept most if not all of what you are and this kind of relationship is slow to build. That's mostly the difference we have with older people, once they hooked up it was in most case for life so you made do while now a large part of marriage end at the first hardships.

tl;dr Go out and meet people, be honest with them. Then it's like a tree it's pretty easy to kill at first but after some time it'll take conscious effort to destroy it.
>>
>>44742603
>girlfriend
Help me with this step and I'll answer you
>>
>>44746916
>A new childhood friend
Possible, but you might end up on a government watch list.
As for your other question, you can start doing VR shit right now, if you've got the money or clout. And if you don't mind extremely limited games. I'd wait until the end of the year at least, though.
>>
>>44744110
>>44744110
Not poster, but those are some true words man. Implying you need to ease your significant other into something you enjoy implies you think it's wrong to do it.

We're adults man (some of us). Part of maturity is accepting people for who they are. If your guy/girl can't accept you for wanting to do more than zone out during a movie, to want to actually me a little interactive with the storytelling, mayhaps they aren't right for you?

That being said, my wify and I play all the time. One of the reasons I married her
>>
>>44747200
Okay.
Lose weight, buy new clothes, brush your teeth, smile more, attempt small talk with strangers for practice, pretend to care about other people, lower your standards.
>>
>>44747212
I'll get back to you in ten years
>>
>>44747225
It doesn't take ten years to lose weight.
Unless you're obese by like 0,5 kg * 52 weeks * 10 years.
Even if we take into account fuckups and setbacks, you shouldn't need ten years to be not-fat.
>>
>>44747258
No that's the 'get girlfriend' timelength including "talk with strangers" and "lower your standards"

the rest I've already done
>>
>>44743702
>knitting
>more exciting than the world of gladiators and statistics that is football
Please
>>
>>44747269
uh.... move to a third world country?
>>
>>44747347
That would still take 10 years on my income under 400 dollars a month
>>
>>44747365
Well anon,
Not every person is granted with the willpower to be a decent, successful person
>>
>>44747365
Okay, we're getting somewhere.
Focus on education and your career, get paid get money.
I mean fuck, I'm a student and I make more than you do.
>>
>>44747374
Are you telling me to be indecent~
>>
>>44747374
anon don't be a twat.
>>
>>44747365
So you get less than 400$ a month without living in a third world country? How?
>>
>>44742603
>Honey, I'm gonna go and nerd up with the gang
>Ok, have fun
>>
>>44747394
I work at target
>>
>>44742603
>How do you go about explaining to your girlfriend what tabletop is and what you do when you go out for the night to play with the boys?
We don't cohabit so I'm unsure why I'd bother.
>>
Women who are into this hobby are complete trash. Don't even associate with them
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 625x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 625x400
>>44747667
Yeah cos the dudes in this hobby are real fucking catches.
>>
>>44748028
It's not like I fuck the dudes, why should I care?
>>
>>44748047
Honestly? Give it a try.
>>
>>44742603
Boardgames and vidya are so commonplace that you usually can make simple extrapolation from them.
Unless you're dating Amish girl, and in that case you probably have more important things that need to be explained.
>>
>>44742934
>Our biology demands procreation, but we keep inventing rules and conditions. Going by that I don't know a single successful family.
Feels good to have a stable family that supports itself from within with love, compassion, kindness and mutual faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
>>
>>44743702
Funny how the things you think are interesting are all things that don't require social interaction, while almost everything you think is boring involves other people to some degree.
>>
File: LB1Drcv.gif (1 MB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
LB1Drcv.gif
1 MB, 300x217
>>44742603
I met my girlfriend through tabletop. I played a Blackguard, she played a Paladin, and our characters kept trying to convert each other.
>>
>>44746421
That's some dedicated powerlevel hiding, goddamn
>>
My girlfriend plays tabletop. What stupid /v/ tier meme garbage is this?
>>
>>44742603
>havning a GF

NORMIES GET OUT

>>44746916
>All of my female friends are either dead or have forgotten about me and I am not gay
Are you the protagonist of a VN?
>>
>>44749127
I wouldn't know, mine couldn't support itself materially, let alone morally.
>>
>>44743165
> and trying to explain any particular world is a dozen pallets of worm-filled cans.

>"i pretend to be a cute French maid"
>"or sometimes I'm a militant racist religious zealot"
>"no wait where are you going"
>>
>>44742603
i got my gf so far to play 40k with us. she plays tyranids
>>
>>44749303
>girl playing nids
Why is this a meme
>>
>>44742603
I explained it a bit, saying it's like improvisation theater.
When I play it's usually at my house so she's there. She watch TV show or something with her headphone when we play or she does other thing but try not to disturb us and ocasionnally smile or laugh when we do stupid shit
>>
Every girlfriend I've ever had has already known basically what tabletop RPGs are. Some had played them and others hadn't, though.
>>
>>44749317
It's not a meme, it's a stereotype. There's certain difference between the two. Also stereotypes existed centuries before memes.
>>
>>44749341
Stereotypes are memes, in that they are self-perpetuating ideas.
Maybe you should read a book and learn that memes are not an internet invention.
>>
>>44749341
Not that anon, but it's a meme in the original sense, i.e., a bit of culture that gets transmitted rapidly and spreads outward like a disease (though it may be harmful or useful). "Meme" was meant to suggest the word "gene" originally.
>>
>>44749317
i dont know. I showed her all the codex's i got. I got my bet on eldar / dark eldar.
>>
>>44749363
>. "Meme" was meant to suggest the word "gene" originally.
"gene" as in "generalization"? My knowledge of latin is somewhat limited.
>>
>>44749363
she said she doesn't like tanks and stuff, but big monsters. She bought herself a carnifex and a tyrant - so i'm fine with this
>>
>>44749382
"Gene" as in DNA. Genes are physical traits that perpetuate themselves by getting passed on to the next generation (by aiding reproduction and getting passed on or just not being harmful enough to completely hinder reproduction).
Memes are societal traits that perpetuate themselves by getting passed on to the next generation (by being catchy enough to be repeated).
>>
>>44749413
>she said she doesn't like tanks and stuff, but big monsters
It was couple years ago, right? Because presently the top choice for big monstrous creatures would be Tau or some such.
>>
>>44749424
Okay, that makes sense.
>>
>>44742934
>no trigger discipline
>>
>>44749431
as she stated: Tau, Eldar etc looks gay and fragile
>>
>>44749467
But all my chinese cartoons tell me women love gay and fragile
>>
>>44749488
I don't know what kind of cartoons you're seeing, mine tell me that men like gay and fragile, women like tentacles and mostercocks.
>>
>>44749488
not in that case
>>
File: 1436218886462.jpg (90 KB, 1255x208) Image search: [Google]
1436218886462.jpg
90 KB, 1255x208
>>44749504

I feel compelled to argue otherwise but I can't since I just paused an episode of a yuri anime full of gay and fragile girls to see what the new posts in this thread were.

I wish I was gay and fragile.
>>
>>44749704
If it's any consolation, you already seem to be halfway there.
>>
>>44747584
Go military or something where you can learn a useful trade, since there are plenty of blue collar and white collar things you can learn to do there. And then be humble once you get back into the civilian world. As much as, assuming fellow Clapistani, people like to say "thank you for your service," nobody actually gives a shit and bringing it up constantly is really annoying.

Where did you fuck up such that target is the apex of your career trajectory
>>
>>44742603

My girlfriend plays

> in B4 "She probably gets all the stuff because she gives sucks your dick"
>>
>>44749804
I'm 26 and it's my first job. I've spent like 7 years as an anxiety ridden wreck through and after college
>>
>>44742603
You know Monopoly? It's like that except instead freeform.
>>
>>44749944
I kinda sorta want to repeatedly stab you for comparing RPG's to the shitshow that is Monopoly.
>>
>>44743419
Being so narrow-minded, stubborn and arrogant that you won't allow your boyfriend to play RPGs is not crazy to you?
>>
>>44749892
Well, that had to be painful, but as long as it got you to graduate...
>>
>>44742603
>How do you go about explaining to your girlfriend what tabletop is..
She has her own collection of games and her own groups that she plays with. No need.

Also, this is Sweden, so basicly everyone that's not consumed by some extreme local cultureal nisch knows alreadyt what larping and rpgs are.
>>
>>44743419
You're not Scandinavian/European are you?
>>
>>44749461
maybe that's her intention? saying "If you don't shut your bitch mouth I'll shoot you"
>>
>meet Balkan girl
>explain what tabletop games are
>she gets upset because she grew up in a warzone and tanks and such understandably trigger her
>we don't get very far
My friend was a peacekeeper there and said I probably dodged a landmine. Get it? The Balkans are full of landmines. Hahahahahah I'm going to die alone.
>>
>>44742603
How the fuck would I know "how I go about" when I've only had to explain it once, which happened some time years ago I can't recall because we weren't even together at the time and it was no big deal then and isn't now?
>>
>>44750235
>>she gets upset because she grew up in a warzone and tanks and such understandably trigger her
Did you start with tanks?
>>
>>44747386
Not last poster but some jobs pay you more for being indecent.
>>
>>44750320
And some fire you for that. Indecency needs to be applied with care.
>>
>>44750320
Investment banker here. Can confirm.
>>
File: 1435639000498.jpg (71 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1435639000498.jpg
71 KB, 384x313
>>44742603
I don't have a girlfriend right now, just a fuckbuddy I met in one of my classes, always with thick glasses and a beanie. She knows all about my tabletop group because she's the DM
>>
>>44742603
She looks brown and cute, what is she from?
>>
Like I would any other hobby.
>>
>>44751712
Reverse image search has the source.
>>
>>44742603
I first wonder why I started dating a girl who is so socially retarded as to not know what tabletops are or hasn't at least watched the Dexter D&D episode.
>>
>>44742603
"Hey, Anon is running a Star Wars game using that new FFG system with the silly dice. Would you like to join? He said you're invited."
>>
>>44751712

She's a supporting character from Seconds, the newer book by the guy who did Scott Pilgrim.

I guess OP is using that pic to imply she's a player's girlfriend walking in on a group and being shy/confused by the situation.

Amusing to me, since in the comic she's the "believer" character who has to explain to the protagonist that what's going on in her life might be because of supernatural folklore stuff.
>>
>>44747145
please.
>>
File: even this guy knows.jpg (88 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
even this guy knows.jpg
88 KB, 500x281
I don't have a girlfriend. I've never even been kissed. Come February I'll be 26.

I've given up. Might as well accept it.
>>
>>44742603
If she doesn't ask there's no need to explain, as she probably doesn't care.

If she does ask explain to her that it's like telling a story as a group, with the Game Master is the narrator and each Player in the game dictates the actions of one of the characters in said story.

That's how I explain it to anyone who asks, and everybody's gotten it so far.

Some are confused as to the purpose of the rules, and that's simply explained as:
The rules are there to govern what each character's strengths and weaknesses are, along with how difficult certain tasks are; how complicated a type of lock is to pick, how hard to fight an ogre is, the odds of them noticing a trap-door; things like that.
>>
>>44750129
I'm scandinavian. What's your point?
>>
File: carl stupid.gif (25 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
carl stupid.gif
25 KB, 267x200
>>44753698
>If a girl doesn't ask you specifically it means she doesn't care.

bruh
>>
>>44742677

She's cheating on you.
>>
>>44742603

My woman plays tabletop with me and was familiar with roleplaying before our relationship started. I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
I don't have to, I don't have a game and she runs a real meatgrinder of a fate campaign
>>
>>44746421
>To appear more credible to his wife of 30 goddamn years.

Damn son, that's some stubborn dedication. Did he lie when they first met and offhandedly deflect some comment about RPGs and is still holding onto that lie (that I doubt she still believes) today?
>>
>>44747175
The pain is riaru
>>
>>44742603
Not really an issue. She plays various games as well.
Only we don't really play the same games. So we aren't in each others' hobbies, but we also understand and respect each others' hobbies.
Probably the best outcome possible. Only downside is we are getting married this year, and our combined gaming expenses may cripple the household budget.
>>
File: wanpan.jpg (21 KB, 273x252) Image search: [Google]
wanpan.jpg
21 KB, 273x252
>>44749127
>Feels good to have a stable family that supports itself from within with love, compassion, kindness and mutual faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Feels good, anon.
>>
>>44747145
im socially retarded and it's been the internet or the children's card game store
>>
>>44743857
Then she was just a judgmental prick that didn't need to be with him.
>>
>>44742603
I've recently developed a tabletop skirmish game with my girlfriend who has never played a wargame until now.
>>
>>44742709
Of course it is. I mean, I'm opening myself of accusations of being that insufferable happy person in a great relationship, but you asked.
>>
>>44756246
You found yourself a keeper?
>>
>>44756853
Married with two beautiful children. If this makes me too fucking old or uncool or something to make a connection with you and be the right person to provide a helpful perspective, so be it I accept it. But I'd be glad to blog in response to any questions you may have.
>>
>>44742709
>Is it worth the effort?

Having a girlfriend is like going to the cinema.
And the specific girl you falled in love with (and decided to ask her if she want to date with you) is the movie.

You go to the cinema for the specific movie you wanted to see, and not for the act wainting on a line to buy something, the act of being on a dark room, eat popcorn....

so....
>having a girlfriend is worth the effort
NOPE, since what you want is not the act of having a girlfriend

>if you fall in love with someone the effort is worth?
yes, if you REALLY love her
>>
>>44756956
>tfw virgin who never had a relationship last longer than a week, and likely the same age or older than you
Congratulations on having a nice life.
>>
>>44756967
>You go to the cinema for the specific movie you wanted to see, and not for the act wainting on a line to buy something, the act of being on a dark room, eat popcorn....
This is not quite true. There is something magical about going to the movies, separate from the individual movies we go to see. Maybe it's all a part of the changes in how this generation treats the cinema, I don't know.
>>
>>44756956
Have you ever worn your wife's clothes? How do you think she would react if she discovered you did?
>>
>>44756987
Well it ain't all daisies. But thank you. I'm sure your life is similarly populated with both good and bad, and I hope it gets better and better.
>>
>>44757132
I have, though its not a big thing for me. In fact, the times that spring to mind first are when she asked me to switch shoes with her after one of her heels broke at a train station while we were still some hours from home, and when she decided it would be fun to go out at just wander the neighbourhood at night with her dressed in guy clothes and me dressed up as a girl. So she can't really "discover" it and probably wouldn't mind if I did.

At the time she seemed to get a kick both out of the whole thing in general and also how little I gave a fuck about people's reactions. People had varying intensities of good and bad reaction on the train, which was during that day; in the night incident we didn't really interact with people any closer than from across the street. For instance, my then gf had fun making a guy who was checking me out look away quickly by doing the "male" thing of turning your shoulders to look directly at a guy who is checking your woman out like "I see what you're doing, btw".

Why do you ask? Did I give you what you were looking for?
>>
>>44745911

>herpderpcuck

Or i could be a son from a previous marriage or relationship... Happens all the time.

2/10 made me respond.
>>
>>44742603
This is how I broke the news:
>Sorry I couldn't message you last night, I was playing Dungeons and Dragons all night the night before.
Her response:
>Huh. Always wanted to try that. Is it much like Dragon Age?
Fucking love her.
>>
>>44757310
What did you wear?

Describe some more good or bad incidents?

>Why do you ask? Did I give you what you were looking for?
Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for me ever getting a gf.
>>
>>44747258

I've been trying to get not-fat for 10 years.
lost 100 pounds, but still weigh over 350. It's hard.
>>
>>44746916

Are you me? except I'm in my 30s
>>
>>44750564
Fuck you sir.
>>
>>44757397
That's literally cuckoldry...
>>
>>44757498
>What did you wear?
Well, this was some time ago. On the train I wore white(?) strappy heels that were too small for me and already partly busted.

When we went out... shit, I really don't remember. Heels, a short tube skirt, a soft camisole, and one of those really feminine girl poncho/shawl things that were really popular with fashionable girls a certain number of years ago.

>Describe some more good or bad incidents?
Like I said, it's not a thing of mine of anything so there isn't a wealth of material to draw from. I mean I could go more into detail about reactions on the train, train station, and walking home after, but it's pretty much the spectrum of affirmation / acceptance / tolerance / shunning / abuse you would expect so it's not especially insightful.
>>
>>44757669
In an evolutionary biology sense, sure. It's not really an essential part of the everyday meaning of cuckoldry, though.
>>
>>44757498
>Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for me ever getting a gf.
Crap, I forgot to respond to the most important response to your post. No it's not a dealbreaker or some kind of "forever alone" sentence, in fact it's a lot more common than you may think.

That said, I wouldn't recommend launching into an impassioned speech about your love and enthusiasm for wearing women's clothing on the first date outside of the most unusual of circumstances. Take a person's temperature before you expose them to things that may be hard to take, it applies to anything. Some girls on the first date would love to hear about how to want to rub your dick all over her face and breasts while calling her a dirty slut as soon as you get the two of you out of the restaurant and over to your place, some will have you humiliated in your community, fired from your job, and run out of town for even hinting at it. Don't be dumb, do look out for yourself and be bold.
>>
>>44758171
otoh, that would lead to wasting your time courting a girl who's incompatible with you.
>>
>>44758931
On the third hand sticking out of his forehead, that's the same risk OP not letting his girlfriend know about his hobbies earlier.
That's the same risk we all take. No one a prospective partner everything about themselves.
>>
>>44758931
Not really, not any more than the rest of the discovery process that constitutes dating.

I mean, sure, you "wasted" a date having an enjoyable evening with someone hot, cool, and funny, but that's relationships right? It's more than just slapping your compatibility profile on the table and deciding whether to fuck and co-habitate for the rest of your lives or not. It's a process, a pleasant one. Relax and enjoy it.
>>
I have dated a couple girls that showed interest, but they are bad and slow magic players (pick one and only one). Tabletop is more their speed but it is hard to keep a girl focused on the story and mission and not the attention she gets every time she opens her mouth. Then you have board games where it just isn't fun to mop the floor with someone over and over again when variation occurs because an opponent is creative or skillful.

I don't bother anymore. The sad truth is that the best part was easing my anxiety about being a super nerd by virtue of having a girlfriend in the first place.
>>
>>44759117
>It's more than just slapping your compatibility profile on the table and deciding whether to fuck and co-habitate for the rest of your lives or not.
I'd kill for an actual dating application. Like a job application, I mean, but for dating.
>>44759241
>The sad truth is that the best part was easing my anxiety about being a super nerd by virtue of having a girlfriend in the first place.
Validation is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>44757752
>Heels, a short tube skirt, a soft camisole,
No underwear? You slut!
>>
>>44759376
I didn't fit any of her underwear. I actually don't remember if I wore any, come to think of it.
>>
File: 1265194210846.jpg (38 KB, 357x440) Image search: [Google]
1265194210846.jpg
38 KB, 357x440
>>44753714
If you say, "Thursdays are game night at Chris's house," and she says, "what sort of games," and you say, "RPGs/CCG/etc, like [insert names of games you usually play]," and she says, "oh, okay," that is as far as you have to go. If she never inquires further there is no need to elaborate.

> lol, but wumens don't say what they mean bruh
and that shit's on them. If you don't want to date a bitch, pro tip: Don't facilitate bitch-like behavior, it'll root the bitches out fucking quick.
>>
>Been going out with this girl for a few months now
>last weekend, came up in conversation that I was DMing for some friends
>"Haha, oh wow."
>explain it a bit
>actually end up having an interesting conversation about why DMing is fun

I don't get why you would stay with someone that you can't have actual conversations with. Would just make life so much more stressful for nothing.
>>
>>44742603
My wife is the party rogue.
[Spoiler]I'm the foreverGM[/Spoiler]
[Spoiler]and she gets killed just as often as anyone else. No favoritism. The dice can be cruel.[/Spoiler]
>>
>>44742603
>and what you do when you go out for the night to play with the boys?
Or in my case, when I have a night in on Eliquiry.
>>
>>44753619
I've not been on a date in almost 10 years; there are other things to do in life.
If you feel the need to pursue a relationship the trick is to just put yourself out there. Go to as many social events that pertain to your interests as you can afford and chat it up with anyone you find attractive.
If you don't go fishing it doesn't matter how many fish are in the sea.
>>
>>44759571
Stop looking at it like that. Women are still prizes and a sign of success in life just as they were historically. Just because we are all working doesn't mean it makes women suddenly not the gatekeepers of genetics and social norms.
>>
>>44759653
What are you talking about? I don't see how your post relates to the previous one.
>>
"I'm just going to play an RPG with some friends"

"No, it's the old-fashioned pen-and-paper kind."

Is this fucking difficult?
>>
>>44761091
Are you even in the correct thread? This thread is about significant others responding to our collective addiction. There was no mention of any of the garbage in your post.

Was this just copypasta I haven't seen yet or something?
>>
"I'm gonna go roll some dice with the guys."

You wouldn't be lying.
>>
>>44761565
Yeah, copypasta. Poorly executed at that. Like you said, there was nothing to really link to it in the OP.
>>
>>44747160
that made me chuckle
>>
>>44743711
While I don't support inviting non players to your rpg sessions, only because it slows stuff down and distracts things, there are plenty other things you can do with her. Try doing a board game night with your gaming friends and your gf. Its not as intimidating as trying to join an rpg and its a great way for her to meet friends, especially if your group brings their SOs or some friends. A few tables, brews and a casual environment will be great for her and will help bring your group together. My group does board game nights when a player can't make a game or even on other nights of the week. As such, it's all good and our games are much better because of our friendship.
>>
>>44761708
The fact that feminists would be apologists for some of the rotten reactions women have to anything not 100% normie?
>>
>>44763570
Are you having a stroke? What does this buzzword vomit even mean?
>>
>>44763613
I think you know perfectly well, and pretending otherwise isn't clever missy.
>>
>>44755300
what, so some girl just came up to you and asked you about the cards you were about to buy?
Then you started dating?
>>
>>44753619

Don't feel alone! I'm 26 myself and I've never been kissed.

CONSENSUALLY
>>
>>44742603
Tell her it is like chess. But far more complex and way more entertaining, WITH PLOT.
>>
>>44743653
Well, shit tier people stick together.

You've gotta remember that normal person is an insult here. But we still gang up on people who act abnormal.
>>
We started to play together. We are pretty different but we have at least TTRPGs in common.
>>
>>44759468

Fitting any of her clothes is setting alarm bells ringing. Either she's a fatty, or you're a twink (or a bit of both). My clothes look like a clown outfit on my girlfriend, they're huge on her. I wouldn't be able to fit into hers at all. I'm not particularly large, nor is she particularly small.
>>
Explaining D&D is easy, explaining your character is hard
>>
>>44768210
>Either she's a fatty, or you're a twink (or a bit of both).
Or they're just stretchy clothes?
>>
>>44768210
>tfw growing up and no longer fitting your sister's clothes
>>
>>44771937
My sister liked putting jewelry on me when we were kids.
Allegedly I haven't been scarred from this.
>>
>>44771980
Mine never dressed me up, but I wore her clothes anyway.

Do you like jewelery now?
>>
>>44742603
>girlfriend
?!?!?!
>>
>>44772002
not really, no. I don't notice it when girls wear it.
Or want to wear anything.
Huh.
>>
I'm surprised at how little >tfw no gf there is in this thread.
Good on you, /tg/
>>
>>44772632
Well, just because I'm a social retard doesn't mean I have to bitch about it online
>>
>>44772632
That's in the other thread.
>>
>>44742709
>Is it worth the effort?
generally speaking, no.
>>
>>44742603
>Dating a normie
>Not dating a nerdette
get out
>>
>>44743058
If your SO outright regards your hobby as childish, maybe you need a new SO.
>>
>>44742603
Why would you lie to your girlfriend about a hobby you enjoy? Unless she's 14, she isn't going to call you a nerd and give you a wedgie.
>>
>>44742603
>implying she wouldn't play with us

Why would I date someone who isn't interested in what I'm interested in?
>>
My wife taught me to play RPGs.
>>
>>44747175
Can I get a source on that image?
>>
>>44748315
Can confirm, there are hot dudes in the hobby. Some of them are indeed into dudes.

8/10 would reccommend
>>
File: 1413159938293.png (36 KB, 398x437) Image search: [Google]
1413159938293.png
36 KB, 398x437
If you have to lie to your gf about something as culturally significant and mainstream as roleplaying maybe you should not be dating.
>>
>>44773558
>SO
>>
>>44774018
Doesn't have to be a grill anon. Could be a dude.
>>
>>44742603
You let them know, most women will not see it as a good thing and think you're an actual fucking nerd (not one of those trendy ones who talk about Marvel movies and make tweets about being nerdy) After that point its pretty clear how things stand either, they're also into it (super fucking rare) they're surprised but ultimately don't care or they can't stand it and you can tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>44774052
can't they just say boyfriend/girlfriend?
Am I supposed to care whether the poster is a gay/straight guy/girl?
>>
>>44774052
But that's gay/trans.
>>
>girlfriend of 6 years
>she's played magic before with me and she was alright
>knows I play tabletop games
>asks what I do every session
>listens intently to me and my group's glorious exploits
>she's a commissioned artist so she actually draws my characters for me
>sometimes characters or art she draws for fun inspire me to make them in RPG form

Honestly I'm truly blessed for having such a wonderful girl. Sometimes I wish she would play tabletop with me, but it's whatever.
>>
>>44773591
Considering how many people here are into femdom, she might.
>>
>>44774283

This basically.

My girlfirend painted an oil painting of one of my characters drinking out of bottle in a brown paper bag. He's leaning on a 1998 Cutlass supreme Parked in Dunkin Donots parking lot.

Shes a keeper
>>
>>44772632
Why would I? Threads like these are an inspiration, filled with tall tales of women tolerating, and even liking, things I like.
Of course, probably half these stories are bogus, but if even some of them are true, it means there's still hope for someone like me.
>>
>thread asks about explaining to non-/tg/ SO's about your hobby
>"my SO is involved with /tg/ shit so why would I"
This is the definition of zero-value posting
>>
If you have anything in your life that you need to explain to someone you're dating, and have to make a big fucking deal out of it, you're either not dating the right person, or not doing the right hobbies.

That being said, if it takes up so much of your time that it's putting a strain on your relationship, you should probably consider dialing it back.

Remember, it's okay to be the guy who plays D&D, but you never wanna be the D&D guy.
>>
>>44774141
SO means the same and is shorter to type, to be quite honest.
>>
>>44768210
Lol if you want to think that. There's a reason I wore a tube skirt and fucking PONCHO and not something remotely fitted.
>>
>>44768210
Have you considered that maybe you're just fat?
>>
>>44773714
Ravu no rabbu
>>
>>44776370
Kinda like what you're doing right now
>>
>>44778323
Destructive criticism is still having effect and causing discussion, contrarian blogging doesn't
>>
File: 1450767278656.jpg (74 KB, 600x915) Image search: [Google]
1450767278656.jpg
74 KB, 600x915
>>44742603
>Girlfriend
Thanks for reminding me of what i dont have OP
>>
>>44742714
>learn how to adult
>they said
>dropping the phrase that is exclusively used by people that are perpetual, overgrown children.
>>
>>44742603
>"Uhh... y-yeah I'm just hanging with the guys. Playing some cards tonight."
>It's 2pm on a sunday
>"Umm, we go pretty hard I guess."
>You aren't cheating on me, are you?
>"Ahaha, like I would ever do that."

It sucks being mildly attractive and hygienic and still playing RPGs with your fedorah-tier pals having heated arguments over various waifus in public dining establishments.
>>
>>44779633
"Adult" as a verb has to be my least favorite millenial meme
>>
>>44742603
I met my GF through D&D, 3 years ago on newyears,the game was a mess, we were friends up until early august this year.

She's a huge weeb and a D&D nerd so no explanations needed.
>>
I don't actually get time to interact with people outside of work any more
>>
>>44779712
>It sucks
Why?
>>
>>44749424

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQgMntenO8

THE MEMES, JACK
>>
>>44778323
meta
>>
>>44742603
I play Malifaux
What's that?
You've seen the minis in the boxes over there, it's that. Cowboys vs Samurai Zombies vs Demons.
can you teach me it?

She now has Lilith's Demon Babies and is getting quite good at it.
>>
I wish my girlfriend didn't like tabletop. She's atrociously terible at it and due to working nightshifts any group she's in can't organise a session. She's one of those people who expect to be able to learn how to play without reading the rule book and sits on her phone when it isn't her turn.
All her friends are mildly autistic or have some other pretend tumblr-brain problems, so if they want me for any games they feel bad about not inviting her as well and just give up.
>>
>>44742603
Hazel is best girl
>>
>>44768210
Lol are you dumb?
>>
>>44776825
faster than gf or bf?
On my keyboard, "s" and "o" are a lot further away, plus you don't have to capitalize the letters
>>
>>44787189
Yes, typing "SO" is faster than typing "gf/bf". It also means closer to what they're saying.
>>
>>44742603
what is the source of this digital painting?
>>
>>44787189
You have two hands.
>>
>>44787266
>>44753553
>>
>>44787212
Honestly, either shortening is lazy and shows a lack of respect for the posting medium and for everyone who will read the post. It should be banned under global rule 6.
>>
File: Demo.jpg (14 KB, 400x417) Image search: [Google]
Demo.jpg
14 KB, 400x417
>>44787287
If i wasn't the man i was, i'd kiss ya
>>
>>44742603
I explained it to my GF the first year we were together. he thinks i would be better off out drinking my brain out than playing "immature and childish games".
Fuck her and the cunt she rode in on. Probably gonna dump her soon since all she does lately is whine, bitch and groan
>>
I don't think I'd want to date someone who shares my hobbies. I'd prefer to keep our lives separate.

My ideal person is someone I can mutually enjoy doing nothing with.
>>
>>44787285
What does this have to do with the relative length of 2 characters vs 5 characters?

>>44787299
SO is a well established abbreviation. I doubt you will get your wish.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.