[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So wait why did the Emperor even make the Imperium? All it did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1432401099.jpg (317 KB, 953x893) Image search: [Google]
1432401099.jpg
317 KB, 953x893
So wait why did the Emperor even make the Imperium? All it did was make life worse for everyone. Why didn't he just park his fat ass on the Astronomican so everyone could have warp travel, but without the soul-crushing fascism?

I mean I get that there's still Orks and Eldar and Tau and whatever, but humanity managed to survive through the Long Night and into the Great Crusade, so I'm sure they could make it. He even gave Chaos its greatest weapon in the form of the Primarchs/Space Marines.

Just makes me wonder if one day when the Emperor is sitting on the Golden Throne he realizes he's created a society so retarded it straps crazy people into giant robots. A society in desperate need of any and all machinery it can get its hands on.
>>
File: Commissar_NO.jpg (30 KB, 409x189) Image search: [Google]
Commissar_NO.jpg
30 KB, 409x189
>>44739452
>>
>>44739452
>So wait why did the Emperor even make the Imperium?

For protection. Humanity needs to survive to evolve. If it fails, it fails forever.

>I'm sure they could make it.

The Emperor sure wasn't.
>>
>>44739972
Except they didn't just make it through the Long Night, but they also made some pretty advanced civilizations along the way.

Really all the Imperium does is stagnate society and technology.

>The Emperor sure wasn't

The Emperor thought he could leave humanity in the hands of twenty whiny supermanchildren. His judgement isn't infallible.
>>
>>44739452
The Imperium as it is isn't The Imperium as the Emperor imagined it. The constant wars and fascist doctrine were a stopgap measure while he re-conquered the galaxy and provided for Humanity's defense, while the society the Emperor wanted to create was an ultra atheist and highly advanced galaxy-spanning civilization of posthumans.

But he died during the "constant war" part of the plan, and that's what everyone in his wake has been doing because they don't have the full picture.
>>
>>44740142
>Really all the Imperium does is stagnate society and technology.

That's the point. The Emperor wants humanity to evolve into a psychic race strong enough to resist the depredations of Chaos. Letting people become dependent on society and technology works counter to that goal.

This is also why he created the Legions and the Primarchs, knowing half of them would fall to Chaos. Chaos constantly attacking humanity is the only way to build up our resistance to it.
>>
>All it did was make life worse for everyone. Why didn't he just park his fat ass on the Astronomican so everyone could have warp travel, but without the soul-crushing fascism?

First of all, you have no fucking clue what fascism is. The Imperium is literally a feudal empire, with three massive spoon-fulls of despotism, collectivism, and objectivism thrown in, depending on where and what you are.

Second, the Imperium did not make life worse for everyone. The vast majority of human worlds were completely fucked, following the Dark Age of Technology, and many societies had degenerated into pure barbarism. You know those feudal worlds, for example? They used to be thriving worlds, colonized by humanity, with social structures and universal healthcare.

And a lot of worlds were just overtaken by chaos. Just feudal little shitholes ruled by witch-lords that started manifesting left and right at the end of the Dark Age of Technology. Other worlds were little more than slave worlds to alien empires, if they were even lucky enough to be slaves.

The Imperium freed these worlds and uplifted them, protected them, and unified them with the rest of humanity. Chaos fucked it up, but that's really not part of your question. Hell, most of those worlds would not even have been able to leave their shit-holes, even IF they could even perceive the Astronomican - I can't imagine that most worlds had Navigators anymore.

The worst thing with the Imperium is that this is the best we can do in the situation we're in, and all that oppression is necessary for our survival. The fact that it all makes sense.
>>
>>44740370
>Competition is a universal constant. Territoriality, a quantified given. Empire building– an expectation. The galaxy is quietly expanding, but there will never be enough room for all the species who aspire to its dominion. The appetites of sentient beings tend to the absolute– like our own. This is not base predation. I talk not of the hunter and hunted. This is not survival of the fittest. I have made it my life’s work– and that of the life thereafter– to study the grand design of such selection and speciation. It is both wondrous and dreadful.

>The apex species of the galaxy compete not for resources or sustenance. They all take more than need demands. They compete because they can. This is intraguild predation, the predators that kill their competitors– the predators that prey on each other. They are the wolves that take down the lion.

>We partake in a techno-evolutionary arms race: a galactic test of our suitability to rule, to prosper, to exist. Our success, however, is our failure. With every step we take along the path of enlightenment, dominance and superiority, we plant the seeds of our own destruction. In attempting to annihilate the other sentient species of the galaxy, we force them to adapt. To learn from their mistakes on a genetic level. We create competitors with the evolutionary gifts to wipe us from the face of the known universe.

>I think of the terrible things we have achieved. Our countless numbers and culture of conquest. Our forges, our immaterial implementations and the mighty vessels that take our dread weapons to the stars. I think on galactic princes and their gene-sired Legions: our crusaders in the cosmos, our ambassadors of destruction, our lethal gift to enemy empires. I think on these cold considerations… and know that we are doomed.

"The Beast Arise book 2 : Predator, Prey"
>>
>>44741327
>The Emperor wants humanity to evolve into a psychic race strong enough to resist the depredations of Chaos.

That's conjecture. Immense conjecture, I'd say.

I mean, it's entirely possible that's what he wanted. It's been theorized by many in the Imperium that humanity is gradually evolving into a fully psychic race, similar to but stronger than Eldar (which are all latently psychic, other than the Dark Eldar).

The manifestations that occurred at the end of the Dark Age of Technology is supposedly a factor in this, with psykers suddenly manifesting on practically all human worlds, after which they either fell to chaos, got raped by the psychic elite, or the psykers were violently murderkilled.

But for all we know for a fact, the Emperor wanted to kill all of them too, to prevent it from happening again. I agree with your interpretation, though, I'm just saying - we can't be sure.

But if humanity is destined to manifest psychically, he probably knew, and he obviously didn't have the huge murderboner for psykers as others did, unless sorcery was involved.
>>
>>44745791
>That's conjecture. Immense conjecture, I'd say.

Nope, it's literally been a background element since Rogue Trader.
>>
>>44745781
The Emperor fuck over humanity in two things.

First, Bargained with the Chaos Gods and then broke his oath to them. This antagonized the chaos Gods towards him and humanity.

Second, as the text in (>>44745781) implies, the Imperium's constant wars against every xenos race in the galaxy (No exceptions) is planting the seeds of future disaster. Instead of securing the supremacy of Mankind, it's leading it to its doom as the enemies of man get adapt to be more hostile and dangerous in response to humanity's xenocidal campaigns.

It can be seen clearly in the fluff. In response to being kicked around during the Great Crusade, the Orks united into a single galaxy spanning Waaaagh!. The Eldar in response to humanity's provocation have become more cruel and callous towards mankind. The Tau in response to being savaged by the Imperium, have hastened their military technological progress and have become more belligerent. The Tyranids are adapting to the Imperium's methods of war and are steadily becoming a force that cannot be stopped.

The xenophobia the Emperor instilled into humanity is the cause of all of this. The Emperor doomed mankind.
>>
>>44739452

What you call "fascism" is really more like real medieval Europe. Not even the trailer park version but the reality of EXTREME political and social decentralisation and diversity under a loose overall control that mostly works against genuine external and internal threats. Much of the paranoia and repression isn't of the 20th century totalitarian variety; it is a response to very real dangers. Very often the response can become wholly irrational in its degree but the general idea behind it is always sensible. It's like how a lot of diseases are just natural bodily defenses going so out of control they end up hurting you more. But the defenses themselves are necessary and rational.

Emperor-Schmemperor, but I think humanity would've developed a lot of those things anyway in a universe like that. What the Imperium gives is a very loose overall structure over all those worlds. Things may well be even worse without it. Imagine W40K humanity in chronic all-out warfare with itself and without Space Marines et cetera to protect it, on top of all the other things that already happen.
>>
>>44745820

But it is a pipe dream. You can't become strong enough to resist Chaos in the Warp. In the old fluff Shamans created the Emperor so that they would have a body that would not die and have their souls munched on by the Chaos Gods.

In the new fluff the powers of the Emperor himself may come from a deal with Chaos in which case the story of the Imperium becomes just a classic warning about hubris.

Either way the only awakening that is happening at the end of the timeline (even titled "The Great Awakening) is countless latent psykers exploding into warpgates.
>>
File: Precipice.png (207 KB, 632x1000) Image search: [Google]
Precipice.png
207 KB, 632x1000
>>44745940
>Either way the only awakening that is happening at the end of the timeline (even titled "The Great Awakening) is countless latent psykers exploding into warpgates.

It's heralding the future. If the Emperor has been guiding humanity in its psychic evolution for 10K years. In the Age of Ending, psykers are more numerous and unstable than even ever and humanity is two steps from ascending (picture related). The Emperor needs to hold on and guide humanity for just a bit more....
>>
File: The Ending.png (130 KB, 683x268) Image search: [Google]
The Ending.png
130 KB, 683x268
>>44745988
....or the Great Awakening like events will happen all over the galaxy and all of humanity will be warpgates (picture related)
>>
>>44745988
>>44746000

The latter is going to happen. Note that the human servants of Chaos are not exploding into warpgates.

If there is continuation from the timeline's end, it's going to be the 40k End Times. Abaddon will overthrow the Emperor and the Imperium shall be consumed.
>>
>>44746080
As if. Emps is going to end up ruling alive and well like Sigmar is in AoS or he'll decide to keep the corpse look for aesthetic reasons.
>>
Cypher will sneak in the Imperial Palace during thee final siege of Terra and liberate the emperor from his prison. Thus, the new Eye of Terror will never be born.
>>
>>44746803

If Emperor leaves that chair his failed webway will explode into a warp gate and daemons will destroy Terra. The situation was like that even back in Horus Heresy, and now there is no Malcador to take Emperor's place to allow him even a short leave.
>>
>>44746864
Tfw you will never have a bro as cool as malcador

Why even live?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.