[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a new game system.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: download (1).jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8 KB, 225x225
/tg I'm in need of a assistance. We are playing a fantasy campaign using d20 system. Even with being careful, cutting some options out, and using 2ed exp chart we came to the point when system is breaking. There is no more tension or feeling of danger. Likewise there is a problem of game crunch clashing with game fluff. For example, why aren't giants ruling the world if they have huge population and humans are around level 1-4 max. And what is worse we started punching those things in the face as daily routine. Once we killed High King's elite bodyguards, King's wizard and his arcane circle of mages, a Roc (bird), and tons of support personnel (at least 20-40 of them). We were level 6-7 at that point,

So when we finish current story arc GM said we will change the game system.

Now can someone suggest some game systems? GURPS is out of the question. I personally like it but GM doesn't have time to read through intricacies. In addition combat can become really slow because of 1second turns and action rounds don't allow you significant actions. (shooting a bow once takes 3 rounds to accomplish in gurps, while most rpgs allow you to do it every round).

is Savage Worlds any good? Also Mongoose's Runequest/Legend system? Also if you have any other suggestions.
>>
File: World of Darkness.gif (2 MB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
World of Darkness.gif
2 MB, 250x182
>>44739345
I recommend savage worlds, but really some more detail would be helpful.

Are you just seeking another medieval fantasy RPG? I might suggest D&D 5th edition for that purely because it works well with my group.

If you are looking for a serious change of pace though, there are plenty of other systems.

You mention savage worlds and gurps, so that implies you want something more generalist than say Dark Heresy. In that case Savage worlds is lovely.

I also half recommend World Of Darkness. It has issues, but Hunter: The Vigil is fun as fuck. I like Vampire too, but am a terrible GM for it.
>>
>>44739345
What d20 fantasy system are you playing now?

I copypasta some general recommendations:
>D&D 5e, D&D 4e, 13th Age, Legend by Rule of Cool, Fantasy Craft, Make You Kingdom, Dungeon World, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Reign, Ryuutama, Super Console, Ironclaw, Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition, S/Lay w/Me, Kobolds Ate My Baby

My own go-to recommends for lethal fantasy: both Savage Worlds or Iron Claw 2e/OmnibusEdition.

Savage worlds is a non-d20 that doesn't depart too far from conventional RPGs but is pretty quick to run. Works as a decent pulpy universal system with lots of support. You can run basically anything and not have to drop anything in terms of content. Highly recommend it as the modern alternative to GURPS for universal stuff. I don't know why people still like GURPS in this day and age.

Ironclaw looks similar at a glance to Savage but is more unconventional in mechanics (and furry which is an issue for some). Not universal, but the setting is Game of Thrones meets Avatar element bending with superhuman druids in an otherwise more 'realistic' Renaissance (big church, slave trade, east india trade, high seas piracy, emerging middle class, powerful guilds, placeholder royalty, etc) developing in the ruins of a more advanced civilization during a political crisis. People recommend it because the overall combat is considered well designed and fun, I thought it did better than 4e for what 4e was trying to do.

Fantasy Craft is considered the "fixed" 3.5 era d20 system, unlike Pathfinder. If you want to stay legacy, this is a go-to choice. I have no fucking idea why Pathfinder is so popular, other than the "everybody is already playing it" player immigration feedback loop.

Lastly, 5th edition D&D is solid. Probably the best edition, implying there was a good edition. Great choice if you want a refresh of d20.
>>
File: ORE Toolkit.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ORE Toolkit.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Rolled 6, 8, 1, 3, 7, 2 = 27 (6d10)

>>44739345
have you considered ORE?

combat and dice resolution in general is fast

add skill and stat scores together. the total is your dice pool. roll it. got any matches? if so you succeeded!
>>
>>44739345

Exalted.
>>
>>44739345
While I am the first to advocate something other than 3.x, the whole "things being too easy" problem is a separate issue. Your DM just isn't putting you up against hard enough monsters, because I assure you that there are plenty of things that will wreck a party of 6th-7th level adventurers.

But as far as other games go, you could, indeed, try something in the RuneQuest family (RQ, Basic Roleplaying, Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, Legend, Magic World, OpenQuest, etc.). They're pretty down-to-earth, percentile skill-based systems with a range of complexities. There are lots of editions, but RQ tends towards the crunchier end of the spectrum, while most of the others are simplified versions (with OpenQuest perhaps being the simplest?).

Savage Worlds is cool too, but with a pulpier vibe.. Maybe check out Barbarians of Lemuria if you're looking for something really light. The one real concern there is that with heavy armor, your ability to soak damage can get a bit ridiculous, turning combat into a death-by-a-thousand cuts sort of thing. If you want to speed things and make them more deadly, drop the mechanical advantage to helmets and drop heavy armor (renaming medium armor to heavy). I know that coming from 3.x, your instinct is probably that making changes like this is, at the very least, ill-advised, but like old school D&D, BoL is essentially designed to be tweaked. It's one of the very important strengths of rules-light systems that they're built in such a way that you can make these sorts of changes without fucking all sorts of things up, and I really think that most people who don't make any changes to account for the preferences and playing style of their group are probably doing it wrong.
>>
File: DuckWarriors.jpg (126 KB, 634x347) Image search: [Google]
DuckWarriors.jpg
126 KB, 634x347
>>44739345
Runequest Mufugga!

Praise Humakt!
He wields the Runes of Death and Truth!
>>
>>44740464
>What d20 fantasy system are you playing now? 3.5-sih. we skinned it alive but with high levels problems are emerging.

>>44740967
> 3.5 - Your DM just isn't putting you up against hard enough monsters
That isn't a problem. Monsters are monsters. But with levels we got a lot of utility to solve our problems. And that makes us even bigger monsters. For example one encounter - GM send around 20-ish iifrits or djinns. One of them had 10d6 fireballs at will. We killed them all without any casualties. Also there was a fallen angel of sorts once that had unholy blight as at will power and her demon companion who did d12x1d10 telekinetic force damage.

it is just getting absurd and from what I can tell GM is getting the feeling this is becoming a mockery. I understand him because I prefer sword and sorcery type myself. Conan stories for example. When something nasty comes in those stories it is usually alone. And now we are killing those things by droves.
And from world point of view something is horribly wrong. If you think about these things he sends at us; you ask yourself where they were before? If they are that powerful why didn't the conquer the world when rest of the humanity is practically useless.

So we are currently looking for some system that allows players to be competent. Above normal humans, but not absurdly above. And for enemies to be a threat. But not a threat enough so that you can say rest of the humanity has no chance of fighting it on grand scale.

My example: dnd 3.5 ogre. Higher level characters can fight against it. Some will be wounded or maybe even killed. Normal human warriors can also fight it. There will be casualties but it isn't impossible for humans to fight that threat.
>>
>>44741836
>I understand him because I prefer sword and sorcery type myself. Conan stories for example.
Definitely look over Barbarians of Lemuria then -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition
>>
>>44741836
You're full of shit, or your dm is shit.
>>
>>44744283

10d6 fireballs at will. Cleric is level 7. He casts resist energy which gives prevents 20 dmg from chosen energy source. Average fireball damage is 35. If I fail my reflex I'll get 15 dmg. If I pass I'm unhurt.

Defend your superior system. I'm in the wrong.
>>
>>44744419

and to further explain it. Only reason why there was a 10d6 fireball-at will ifrit in existence was there had to be some opposition to players. Now imagine what that fucker can do on grand scale. just walk into town and burn it to the ground because 10d6 every 6 seconds. Normal humans can't stop him. "But anon there are other adventurers out there" - Nope. There aren't. Lore wise. Also if there are things like this in existence how do you expect for humans to survive? They would either eradicate us or enslave us. You can forget adventurers, higher level humans etc. because if things like this existed they would make sure you never pose a threat to them. And not like 99% of human populace can do anything to stop them. Monsters have way to much HD, DR 15-20 is common occurrence etc.

As I said dnd started to brake. You can bitch and moan but that is the fact. I'll pass suggestion people mentioned in this thread.
>>
Clicked this link on accident. Damn you guys seem like autistic tier virgins of the 9th oh fuck it you guys could create creative ways to call yourself faggot (what you're already doing) so have fun!
-sincerely from someone getting laid.
>>
>>44744625
Here's your reply.
>>
Just going to shill Strike! as usual, though it's probably not what you are looking for.

Strike! is a d6 based generic system. You are usually rolling 1 or maybe 2d6. The basic rules are very simple *World like (or "Powered by the Apocalypse" if you are more familiar with that), probably too simple even, but there are optional systems depending on how deep you want the rabbit hole to go. The interesting one is the one for tactical combat, which is very well balanced, grid based and overall quite enjoyable.
>>
>>44741836
>So we are currently looking for some system that allows players to be competent. Above normal humans, but not absurdly above. And for enemies to be a threat. But not a threat enough so that you can say rest of the humanity has no chance of fighting it on grand scale.

yeah, Nthing Savage Worlds then. Even a high-tier character can get shanked bad by a lowly mook, it just happens.
>>
>>44739345

I've been using Knights and Knaves a lot lately. Idk how to get the pdf, but my GM has it, so I'll try to get it from him and post it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.