[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your top 5 RPG sourcebooks based solely on the quality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: halfatha.gif (76 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
halfatha.gif
76 KB, 300x360
What are your top 5 RPG sourcebooks based solely on the quality of the fluff/lore they contain?

Hard mode: No GURPS historical sourcebooks.
>>
File: LifeOnTerranova.png (184 KB, 297x440) Image search: [Google]
LifeOnTerranova.png
184 KB, 297x440
Life on Terra Nova, 2nd Ed. The perfect introduction book for Heavy Gear.
>>
Middenheim: City of Chaos
The Old World Bestiary
Sword and Sorcerer
Blacksand!
Cthulhu Dark Ages
>>
GURPS Atlantis
GURPS Mars
GURPS Horror
GURPS Illuminati
Transhuman Space
>>
File: Tribe 8.jpg (86 KB, 380x500) Image search: [Google]
Tribe 8.jpg
86 KB, 380x500
Tribe 8 doesn't get enough love on here. Despite all the metaplot bullshit, it had some excellent writing.
>>
>>44736202
Delta Green
I could write out the Delta Green supplement books but you get the idea. I think Delta Green is probably one of the best sourcebooks for Call of Cthulhu, if not all RPGs, ever made.
>>
KotE: The Thousand Hells
WoD: Gehenna
The Exalted Compass books
The nonspecific nWoD books (Innocents, Urban Legends, etc)
The Planescape Monstrous Compendiums
>>
File: everything a man could wish for.jpg (163 KB, 631x637) Image search: [Google]
everything a man could wish for.jpg
163 KB, 631x637
>>44736202
>Elder Evils
DnD 3.5e book detailing world-threatening villains and their organizations. Exceptionally well presented, it includes scenarios for encountering and learning more about each villain at low, medium, and finally high levels. Gorgeous character illustrations and good map layouts for lairs.

>Paranoia XP Troubleshooter's Manual
I have never laughed so hard while reading a sourcebook. Messages from a mad computer are written into the borders of the pages and it comes with little team badges you can hand out to the players illustrating their jobs, responsibilities, and likely ways that they'll die in the line of duty.

>Rappan Athuk: the Dunegon of Graves
A deathtrap dungeon by the excellent writers of Necromancer Games, focusing more on puzzle elements than direct encounters. Bring backup character sheets.

>GM Gems
Covers a broad array of topics from the usual odd treasures and encounters to extraordinary campsites, strange smells in dungeons, and "short encounters for short attention spans."

>The World's Largest Dungeon
The megadungeon of all megadungeons. It is subdivided into multiple smaller dungeons (those each of these sections is a module's worth of material unto itself). The quality between each dungeon's sector varies from the truly awesome (a volcanic mountain in the middle of a lake of lava houses a gigantic demon at the heart of the dungeon) to the less-so (a sector basically nothing but generic undead encounters in a huge crypt). The real appeal of the book is how different sector and factions in the dungeon interact with each other either via trade, alliance, or war.
>>
>>44736202
Planescape would definitely be one of them.
>>
>>44736202
>No GURPS historical sourcebooks
Joke's on you, GURPS 3e historical sourcebooks are crap and 4e thankfully doesn't have any.
>>
>>44736202
oWoD

I admittedly haven't played any of the games beyond The Masquerade but those books have some big fucking fluff
>>
>>44736202
Iron Kingdoms 3.5 World Guide.
Iron Kingdoms 3.5: Five Fingers
Various Planescape sourcebooks
Hollowfaust - City of Necromancers
Delta Green.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.