[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost Source, a setting and game discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 20
File: Lost Source Setting Document.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lost Source Setting Document.pdf
1 B, 486x500
welcome, this is a thread for discussion of the Lost Source setting that a section of /tg/ has been working on for the last couple of weeks.

the intent is to mimic the feel of Dark Souls or BloodBorne styled game in a very high tech setting (post singularity). in description, atmosphere, at least some elements of gameplay

so far we have an opening, location descriptions, large tracts of fluff, and a beginning on the crunch, the system we're using runs on a D100 roll-under mechanic.

we DON'T have
>enemy stats
>boss stats
>vehicle Rules
>vehicle stats
>ironclad hacking/VR rules
>>
previous thread

>>44651355
>>
Wew lad, page 7 already ?
Not much people tonight for sure
>>
>>44732994
indeed.

also, I've been working on a hacking system...

potential steps go
1.)Attacking Programs use Processor as the to-hit attribute.
>What sorts of attack programs will we have?
>Limit attack programs? Based on what?
2.)Firewall(not firewall bonus) soaks the hacking result and is depleted.
>A Half-action taken by the target replenishes Firewall
>A Full-action initiates a counter-hack (opposed Processor Test)
3.)Once Firewall is gone access to a system is granted.
>Crash(shut down, potentially collecting Source)
>Delete Root(good by everything you mad bastard of an AI driven roto-rooter)
>Install Rootkit(delete footage of my being here, wait and attack the first thing to come through the door, etc.)
>Change Admin Access(some drones are simple enough to be stolen this way.)
>>
>>44733096
DDOS could be a stunning attack.

We could limit program usage by CPU per turn-your character has a max CPU that it can use per turn, but can use all the programs it can use freely up to that point. (Baring cooldowns on programs.) Programs would be anything you can do in cyberspace - from buttressing Firewalls to activating meatspace devices connected to local cyberspace.
>>
>>44734638
I meant limit the available attack programs, but that could be a simple matter of the GM carefully limiting what programs get found...

as is I've added a caveat
>A System Invasion Module or Direct Control Port must be installed to hack, a system.

and I'm contemplating making a distinction that an extra arm only grants an extra PHYSICAL action.

also making the "restore lost firewall" a full action.

means that for truly tough opponents you can have a 2 man team work well enough to take down some big stuff...
>>
>>44732534
>(post singularity)
Stopped reading here.
>>
>>44735707
can I ask why?

or is it just not your cup of tea?
>>
>>44734726
I'd like to see something in the vein of hacking in E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. Trying to hack into a bank terminal, only to fail and have it hack you back was fun.
>>
>>44736599
current Rules prototype allows for back-hacking
>>
>>44736645
God, imagine being a fragmant of human intelligence trapped in something mundane like a bank terminal or security door, I'd certainly back-hack any smug limb-lover who wandered by.
>>
>>44736715
followed by a root deletion and an upload yeah?
>>
File: uh-huh.gif (1 MB, 400x166) Image search: [Google]
uh-huh.gif
1 MB, 400x166
>>44736141
not that anon, but
how can you make anything 'post singularity' when, by its definition, you can't?
though i ain't one to shit in yer cornflakes - go for it and have fun! let the imagination fly! but, post singularity means nothing's the same as now - it's all different; so, no banks, or hacking, or bubblegum...
>>
Do we have a list of potential encounters yet? That would be both easier and more interesting than just smacking up some enemy stats I think
>>
>>44736740
All singularity actually means is that AI has achieved equitable levels of cognition as a human being.

Theoretically one should be capable of recursive self-improvement resulting in the typical ascension. But it could just mean that there's no way of telling a human apart from a machine in some ways.
>>
>>44736740
I'm functioning on this definition.

>The technological singularity is a hypothetical event related to the advent of genuine artificial general intelligence (also known as "strong AI"). Such a computer, computer network, or robot would theoretically be capable of recursive self-improvement (redesigning itself), or of designing and building computers or robots better than itself on its own.

admittedly it's sourced from Wikipedia, but thats the way I use the term. I handwave away how they go nuts and leave that as it is.
>>
File: community_image_1426902802.png (172 KB, 500x566) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1426902802.png
172 KB, 500x566
>>44736599
>>
Not done reading the pdf yet, but I like what I'm seeing so far. Posting robitz for now.
>>
File: 1435679206462.jpg (83 KB, 900x568) Image search: [Google]
1435679206462.jpg
83 KB, 900x568
HEP(Heavy Engagement Prototype)- "Juggernaut"
>>
Perhaps there could be leg enhancements capable of rotor or magnet-locking you to a rail-line. It would enable access of previously inaccessible parts of the maps, as well as be make for a bitching mode of transportation in the subway or on the freeway.
>>
>>44740904
might lump that in with "skates"
>>
1 B, 486x500
still need starting classes, Vehicles, vehicle mods, and hacking programs.

new hacking rules are at the bottom of the document.
>>
>>44742534
Be a commy. We don't NEED classes.
>>
File: 1451672595829.jpg (126 KB, 1024x1326) Image search: [Google]
1451672595829.jpg
126 KB, 1024x1326
>>44742534
I'm with>>44742618

Instead of classes have the frames stop being mods and start being the body type a player begins with and make it so they don't take up mod slots. Then we just need a couple more frames and bam, there you go.
>>
>>44742618
they were something suggested before, they can be an alternate rule-set. in place of a starting pool of Source it's a couple of mods each and some messed about stats...

could still use the other things though...

>>44742753
prototype suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>44742764
Following some Dark Souls thinking for a moment. We can give players the option to start out with specific programs and modifications installed. These presets can be called classes.
One such preset can be the barest of bones automaton, the "deprived" of Source Hunters.
>>
>>44742764
Standard Frame
"Adapt or perish."
+/-No changes to starting stats and abilities.
-only one active frame mod per character

Technical Frame
"Precision is the Hallmark of a well made machine."
+20 Dexterity
+15 Perception
-repair tests are made at -10 and cost twice as much
-hardening reduced by 10
-only one active frame mod per character
>>
File: machine_martial_arts.jpg (90 KB, 412x1020) Image search: [Google]
machine_martial_arts.jpg
90 KB, 412x1020
I want to be a small-frame Bare-Handed killing machine.
I was thinking mods would be along the lines of...
>Reinforced Joints- takes up 1 mod slot per limb, +X to carry capacity and Impact Absorption of the limb)

>(Program) Overclock PHYS (other variants available)- Receive a +10 to Dex and Str, but has a 10% chance of causing critical failure (this goes up by 10% for each round Overclock remains active and requires a cooldown equal to the number of rounds it was active)

>Limb Gyroscopes- Enables a coordinated barrage of melee attacks to be delivered with precision. (+X to hit with limbs or weapon in limbs) ADVANCED: Your barrage of attacks are counted as one attack for the purposes of determining impact and system damage.
>>
>>44743658
>Limb Gyroscopes-
you know a Gysroscope would actually DECREASE the strength of the punches right?

they resist motion(punches). the would however make a great aiming mod .
>>
>>44736740
>>44738832
>>44738882

This is why that original anon didn't read past post-singularity. It's an outdated buzzword that has no concrete meaning. It's this vague Rapture-like notion of when various metrics for measuring technological progress like Moore's Law achieve some asymptotic point on a graph past which it is difficult to predict anything.

That said, this is a fantasy setting with a sci-fi aesthetic, so who gives a shit?
>>
>>44747676
>this is a fantasy setting with a sci-fi aesthetic,
...I thought it was a Sci-fi setting with a fantastical premise...

in either case this is, by the definitions given, a post singularity setting. AI exist and got so advanced that they hit a wall...
>>
>>44742534
>>44742753
Maybe we could have something similar to Eclipse Phase where instead of classes, players pick their backstories and their bodies to start with?
>>
File: 1452299198905.jpg (489 KB, 1009x1011) Image search: [Google]
1452299198905.jpg
489 KB, 1009x1011
so, I'm likely going to be busy beyond my ability to work on this starting Tomorrow going till sunday. can you guys come up with ideas, or stats. I'd like to get a few data-blocks in the document at the very least.

things like antagonist frames, and common drone and droid types, reason being is so that we have something to playtest around with.

also, more weapon mods and more frame mods would also be nice, get some versatility going...

and I cannot into math, how does the leveling system look to you guys and how would we tie it to the economic system?...
>>
File: 1000 terabytes.png (205 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1000 terabytes.png
205 KB, 500x375
Not sure if players should really have access to vehicles heavier than an IFV. I think the equivalent of a 20 mil autocannon should be able to handle most physical threats to the players. Besides, tanks and urban combat don't really mix
>>
>>44748728
I meant as enemies mostly or short use/limited area set-piece vehicles. no significant areal combat, maybe MAYBE some aquatic combat.

also, remember, these vehicles would mostly be re-purposed drones, and a citizen access drone carrier would essentially be a simple Van.

there wouldn't really even be heavy "vehicles", maybe a comparatively lightly armed APC at the heaviest. but since combat was outsourced to drones, the "tanks" would probably just be pickup-truck sized ground running gun drones. that said, I'd still like to stat them or have them statted just in case.

and I want anything "military" to be a nightmare for low and middle level player characters.

like high-skill combat programming, a counter-hack system powerful enough to give you pause and weapons that make them something you have to plan carefully around. these will represent the occasional mini-boss.

and perhaps be an equivalent to the first Capra-demon encounter
Players;"oh, it's just a mini-boss"
>later in game
Players;"is that.....FIVE GODDAMN CAPRA-DEMONS(tanks) I SEE OVER THERE??!!!!!!11!!!II!!"
[GM Smiles like the Cheshire cat] "yes, now roll for initiative, and prepare for the other shoe"
>>
I've been meaning to get involved in this but I just don't know where to begin.
I gave over 500 hours in dark souls and have a good understanding of most rpg system, but I live in a ghost town so I have little IRL experience.
Where would I start? Should I work on the lore, make some items or just work on the rules?
>>
>>44752825
pick one and run.

I'm going through the statting of robotic entities now I've got a few minutes to myself.

pick something, and if you can't decide, roll a die.

>500 hours in dark souls
thats impressive...at least to me, I've never beaten a souls game before even if I've played all of them...
>>
>>44752969
Thanks, I think I'll start working on some items.
I'll try to make some items belonging to the various factions of the setting, putting the lore into place and all that.
>>
>>44753959
FANTASTIC

statting here I just realized I don't have anything for a tazer/stun-gun(I got that, just saying)

it always helps to have extra eyes on a project..
>>
1 B, 486x500
so I have a prefered format for statting robots, it's at the end of the document. better format suggestions will be accounted for and possibly incorporated.

stats are all up in the air approximations right now, mostly just holding a place.

got to go, duty calls
>>
Boom, back just in time for the page 9 save. I got banned for silly things, but am back.

So I wanted to ask before, do we care about inventory? Darksouls did, but Bloodborne seemed to not.
>>
>>44758499
I think we'll need an inventory system. Depends on if all the weapons and tools are incorporated, or if they can be separate and operated by waldo.
>>
>>44758809
Is there a weight system? I know in Dark Souls, weight is affected only by your active equipment, not your inventory.
>>
>>44758809
I don't understand what you mean.

From a thematic point of view, it wouldn't make much sense to be carrying around spare body parts to be swapped in and out. also, thematically speaking, by the time singularity or whatever has been achieved we should be well beyond post-scarcity, right? So a universal storage/replication system would make sense. It's fallen into disrepair, which is why things need to be "bought," but the system is still in place.
>>
>>44759377
There's an impact system of some kind, I can only assume weight would factor into this. The HelloKitty Giant would probably weigh more than Jetcan (reference to rough characters I made up last thread) so Jetcan would be knocked around easier.
>>
>>44759377
>>44758809
>>44758499
there is one in the notes, but there is no system.

that and I'd like to keep the lists of named items down for simplicities sake...

>>44759402
there are still some irriplaceable items...like the impact canon or the Excalibur(see named weapons section) can't help but wonder if there are not be a few other things to add...
>>
>>44758499
You actually got banned for being a little shithead in that one thread? Thank fucking god
>>
>>44759402
The setting's pretty post-apocalypse.
There might be a universal replicator/storage or two lying around, but EVERYONE having access to UR/S would stretch disbelief a bit.
That being said, it'd be a good lategame item.
>>
>>44760650
I was imagining it as a city system. We're at a point where everyone is uploading to machines, the city is interconnected, post-scarcity... Everyone having access to replicators would make sense. In the game, however, with no one to maintain the machinery behind the systems they've become fucked up, so you have to provide the materials for them to make something, and have the ingenuity to make it in the first place.

tl;dr bank system, can make anything as long as it has resources, which it gets from you putting stuff in it in the first place.
>>
Popping in to let one of you know to ask LL to correct the misarchival of this thread.
>>
File: 1439710461031.gif (1013 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1439710461031.gif
1013 KB, 700x500
>>44761976
I'll pretend I understood that, and bump the thread at the same time.

So, are we going to have a fluff reason why weapons can damage robots or no? Meaning, are the weapons just regular steel weapons that we bang on each other with, or are they lined with an alloy or... I dunno. Seems odd to have a robot carry a sword to attack other robots. You'd probably want a maul, or a spike.
>>
>>44761976
I'm curious, what was it misarchived as?

>>44763344
>So, are we going to have a fluff reason why weapons can damage robots or no?
...because it's awesome?...

also these...
1.) armor is higher in this setting(lol robots) than it tends to be in others that run this system. melee weapons do very little damage unless they have some flavor of armor piercing mod(I have 3 so far).
2.) some melee weapons can grant you the ability to reposition other robots around the battlefield (assuming the 'impact' mechanic works)
3.) human origins, human traditions, human mindsets. we've been making certain weapons for millennia we'll still be making the well into our distant future. we honor them and so do the children of our brains...
4.) ammo is scarce for guns that pierce armor
>>
>>44763344
Blablabla monomolecular blablabla high frequency blablabla it's quite hot
>>
>>44765241
Monocular Edge
+2x melee edged damage
-You cut yourself a lot more easily. If you fail an attack or an action with this weapon, rule lower than your DEX or cut yourself for half damage.
>>
>>44765805
It's more like scapels or other fine cutting tools than swords desu.
High durability diamond coated saws are another thing.
>>
>>44765805
already got that mod actually...
>>
>>44767128
got those too...chain weapons are a thing...

anyone got any thoughts on attack programs for hacking??
what about virus programs/effects?
>>
>>44770039
Do we have a genre for the game, I mean as background music. I'm bringing this up as I thought that vaporware would make sense in the setting.
>>
So does the tiers of enemies go Scrap>Public Service>Police>Military>Private Defense>Prototype/Black-Ops
Or are Military and Private defense swapped?

Assuming this is even an accurate impression of enemy tiers.
>>
>>44770895
Since it's a game about humanity and its creative history, I feel like a subtle theme of moving through music throughout the ages would be beat. Start with tribal then classical, then on and on. Maybe with a techno/modern touch to it.
>>
>>44770935
I'd assume

>Scrap>Public Service>Police
Early game
>Private Defense>Military
Mid game
>Specialized Military>Black Ops
Late game
>Prototypes
End game
>>
>>44771023
>Start game with Door Bypass "Masterkey" Program
>Fight through tutorial scrappers, punctuated by a single super challenging S.W.A.T Police bot
>Feeling like a badass
>Open locked door
>Broken Escalator downwards
>Fucking Black-Ops Doorbuster with heavy armor, giant riot shield and huge battering ram
>he sees me
Do I run and how fucking fast?
>>
>>44770895
I'm fond of The Glitch Mob, but they're too lively for anything, but combat and industrial areas. something ominous, atmospheric and a little sad.

songs that make you think of places like Pripyat. abandoned, and near dead silent but for the wind whistling gently through the buildings...

>>44770935
I'd say Millitary and Private Def are on par, with a peak being "Ungoliath, and bosses"

I was thinking military droids could be a bit like the Black Knights. rare, difficult to take in a straight fight, and possessed of some pretty beastly equipage.

Black-Ops would be the rarest, equipped with AI combat routines that counter most tactic reflexively.

so analogous power levels here
Scrap~~basic hollows
Public service~~dogs, slimes, roombas with knives taped to them, cliff racers, etc.
police~~Baldur knights
Military~~Black Knights (but smarter)
Black-Ops~~Black Phantoms (player controlled)
Ungoliath~~really tanky bosses

and any collection of the above could be possessed by a mad AI which may grant them access to tactical doctrine...which could theoretically butt-fuck any party...

>>44770970
sounds good, I'll ask that we try and keep it lyric-less for as much as possible though...they get in the way in my opinion...

>>44771102
too late, you're already dead
>>
>>44771235
>lyric less
What about haunting arias?
>>
>>44772927
those perhaps yes...
>>
>>44748879
>there wouldn't really even be heavy "vehicles", maybe a comparatively lightly armed APC at the heaviest.
So maybe something with 50 caliber machine guns and maybe some other gimmick that are usable by the passengers? Like maybe a sensor suite or a electronic warfare compartment?
>>
>>44771235
I feel like having a tier system like this should help quicken enemy creation, should we go into detail on enemy tactics? Or just let the GM do what's best?

Also, what are we going to call the GM of this system? Assuming we want to be pretentious I think we should call them something unique.
>>
Here's an idea for a hostile/neutral NPC:

Mannequins - Found in clothing stores, the Mannequins are humanoid in appearance with porcelain skin. Every few minutes, they are programmed change poses as to mimic the old shoppers.

They usually appear in groups of 5 or more depending on the size of the store.
>>
>>44732534
This will be dead in eight days.
>>
>>44774829
But we'll have fun until then.

Thanks for the advice though Debbie downer
>>
>>44774829
The secret to a long-lasting homebrew is the project lead remaining invested in the project. That's what happened with VeloCITY.
>>
>>44774939
>The secret to a long-lasting homebrew is the project lead remaining invested in the project. That's what happened with VeloCITY.
And AdEva. This thing lacks it though.
>>44774887
My point it simply: Find a "core" idea and stick with it.
>>
>>44775054
That's because this thing is a goddamn clusterfuck of "OOH! -THIS- WOULD BE TOTES RADICOOL!" with no real thought to functionality or cohesion. It's also taking a series of games defined in part by its themes of isolation and loneliness and trying to make it into a party game, thus destroying the entire mood you're aiming for.
>>
>>44775054
Monotreeme seems pretty invested honestly.

And there's nothing wrong with working inward when the point is to capture a specific feeling/theme/aesthetic.
>>
>>44775104
>That's because this thing is a goddamn clusterfuck of "OOH! -THIS- WOULD BE TOTES RADICOOL!" with no real thought to functionality or cohesion. It's also taking a series of games defined in part by its themes of isolation and loneliness and trying to make it into a party game, thus destroying the entire mood you're aiming for.
Yes, that's a big issue I see. CATastrophe only managed to survive because 1) It's fairly whimsical and 2) People who diverged from the core idea where radically excised from the canon.

That's not happening here, and the entire thing is already starting to show signs of rapid degeneration as a result.
>>44775123
>And there's nothing wrong with working inward when the point is to capture a specific feeling/theme/aesthetic.
What does that mean?
>>
>>44775233
Part of it seems to be people bumping the thread with really dumb ideas since they're always on the verge of the death.

Another part is that thanks to Capn shitposting in multiple threads with his name on, he got this project associated with his shitposting and now it'll be damn near impossible to get new blood in. This project already suffered from too many namefags, a feature that turns many anons off from contributing, so having a known shitposter contribute as well is just the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>44775343
What did Capn even do? Seems like one dude keeps hounding him, but I've only seen him post here and most of his shit is on topic.

And namefagging is pretty common for home brew threads.
>>
>>44775392
He just baited and shitposted in some random things. Nothing any other funposter wouldn't do, but having a name and a project he was attached to made him/us a target.

It didn't help that one of the threads was actually pretty orderly and calm before he started trying to bait everyone into arguments.
>>
File: Lancelot.jpg (113 KB, 751x1063) Image search: [Google]
Lancelot.jpg
113 KB, 751x1063
>>44771102
Fun.

>>44770935
>>44771023
>>44771235
Where do the abominations fit into this? The creatures of multiple limbs and whatever others have been dreamed up.

>>44774327
>Also, what are we going to call the GM of this system? Assuming we want to be pretentious I think we should call them something unique.
I'm tempted to say Mayor, since they're running the city... I can't think of anything that doesn't sound ridiculous, so no, GM works fine.

>>44775505
I 100% don't understand how people assume I'm baiting and shitposting. I accidentally left the name on when posting, but most of my posts were on topic even in those threads. The one actual bait/shitpost was making fun of someone who was factually wrong and was hung up on me having a name. I got banned for that, by the way.
The thread mentioned I think was on if monster-people will ever become accepted. Someone said something along the lines of "Of course they will, look at what your weeb cute shit has done to anime, it robbed anime of it's imposingness," or something to which I replied that Japan's viewers prefer family friendly shit anyway. I left my name on by accident, so idiots decided to 1) point at it and laugh and 2) post three horror anime, as if they alone proved that the Japanese market isn't dominated by cute shit. I even tried to rerail the thread by asking someone about their homebrew stuff, and we had a nice conversation about it while others raged on.
Maybe I have the wrong idea of what "shitpost" means. I thought it meant a post that added nothing of value to the thread. "Get this furry shit out of here." "This game is stupid." "Quest thread need die." and even "I agree." are shitposting, along with trolling or spam obviously. I don't do that. I participate in the conversation by voicing my views if I think I have enough of a handle on the topics to discuss them.
>>
>>44774327
>should we go into detail on enemy tactics?
shorter blurbs as you go up the tiers.

the lowest level enemies are operating by rote using canned tactics with little variety.

the high tier enemies are using high order computing for their tactics to flow and fit the conditions, as such they'd be only abstract in their tactical descriptions...

>>44774829
it's lived longer than that already...

>>44775123
invested? me?
no, this is just something I twiddle away at... I'd like to think I have more than 8 days of sticking power left in me though...

>>44775343
>on the verge of the death.
what can I say...been busy, I'm doing this all from a work computer at my day job...

I'll be getting nothing done tomorrow for example...new equipment means a day of trainers coming in to give us a lecture...
>>
>>44776469
I wouldn't what call these threads do "living"
>>
>>44776937
they're usually on life support, I'd assume that that's just because I'm awake when the other contributors are usually asleep.
>>
>>44777592
I think it's because they have maybe four contributers and the concept is just going in circles at this point
>>
>>44778417
There's a fair amount of fluff here (as homebrews are wont to generate immediately), so the best thing to do is parse it down, nail down some crunch and do some small-scale testing. You can't generate fluff indefinitely and get anywhere.
>>
>>44778462
>nail down some crunch and do some small-scale testing. You can't generate fluff indefinitely and get anywhere.
and generating starting crunch it the milestone we're on, and thats always slow
>>
>>44778462
>fluff
Which is just going in circles. It's also all disjointed and random. The charm of a Souls game is how you can start in a simple asylum and end up in a graveyard for giants but it's all connected. And not just connected to each other, but to characters and events. Even the secret areas revealed more about the world and how it came to be this way.

With this thing you just have "What if Fury Road was robots and constantly happening forever? Oh, and VR is cool, let's have that! And you can't forget Capra Demon, he was epic! That REEEEEEEEEE meme is pretty funny too, so let's throw that in there!" with no real rhyme or reason to what is what and why it is as it is.

And since no one wants to step on the toes of the few contributers left, we've got all these disjointed ideas with conflicting themes and varying levels of quality and seriousness all floating in this unconnected void since there's no proper way to string these things together.
>>
>>44778729
Do something about it
>>
>>44778729
>since there's no proper way to string these things together
I disagree, and will string them together just to spite you.
>>
>>44781360
stringing together we need less than statting the stuff and specifying what goes where...
>>
>>44781428
This is true, but as I have never done that kind of thing I don't want to muck it up. Lore I can do. Stringing the environments/areas together I can do.
>>
>>44781918
then spin some lore to string the places together.
>>
Alrighty then, so I'll give stating stuff a go but don't expect anything till saturday, work is killing me.

Meanwhile have a bit of flavour text for that old lady workhorse VI we were discussing as the maiden in black stand in. If you don't like the feel of it let me know, I'd be happy to tweak it (don't know if she should be grouchier or something). Also I made her a VI, though one with an impressive program, as I figured that would be a good reason for why she hasn't degraded so much.

Workshop VI

(upon entering the workshop for the first time)
"Hello, please come in my dear(s). Welcome to the Workshop Network, the last hub of life in the city, little as it is. I understand if you are confused, some have come before you, lost and on edge. The city does that. So many of the creators treasured servants now lost in a madness no different from frenzied beasts. You fought when you awoke, fought you're way in and fought and fought again. Tiresome yes, but I need you to keep fighting. You need to keep fighting. Their is an illness that has crept into those who were left behind. Their minds fracture and spin out of control. Or calcify, never to reason for themselves. You need to to become the craftsman. Wield the tools of this city and make it great once again."

"Now I hope your first few days... or however long you have been awake, were not that troublesome. There is plenty of work to do and I need someone who won't loaf around for fear of losing themselves."

(if players ask about the workshop)
"The Workshop? Ah yes dear Awakened, pardon my thoughtlessness. Here at the Workshop Networks you can find any number of tools to improve yourself in mind and body. Security also provides a measure of safety. There is to be no fighting."
>>
>>44784178
Also I had an idea for a hacking trainer we could have at the Workshop. It would be an Awakened who has sat himself down and done nothing but played old games in their head. After the players learn to hack out in the city they can come back, hack him, and if they succeed getting past his first layer of defenses they get access to hacking "spells" (which I'm also working on). He would communicate to the players with VR emoticons.
>>
>>44784178
this is all fantastic...though we may need a good reason for her programming to not be as corrupted as other entities.

>>44784202
I'd argue that a character like that needs to be found someplace like an Arcade, or a computer center and like Big Hat Logan we break him away from some diversion or
>>
File: city2.jpg (391 KB, 1869x1080) Image search: [Google]
city2.jpg
391 KB, 1869x1080
>>44784300
I was thinking she could have been the secretary of the leading technological company and the last words from her boss were to "Stay strong and never change." and that she should "Do her best to take care of things." but not sure if that would work. I mean, I like the idea that she lasted so long because of some genuine human care as her last interaction with humans, that she was prepared for what was to come (or at least as prepared as she could be).

Another idea I had was that she could be the result of the most advanced cyberbrain ever devised, some scientist daughter or favoured employee that got left behind because the scientist foresaw things falling apart.

Yeah that works for the hacker trainer. I just wanted him their so the workshop VI can constantly grouse about his laziness.
>>
>>44784523
>Another idea I had was that she could be the result of the most advanced cyberbrain ever devised
this actually has some potential.
if she's the VI of The Network, a very powerful company pre-vanishing, it may be justification enough that her mind unit maintained integrity.

"I have lost so many memories, I ever worry I'm loosing my mind."
>>
>>44784178
So what is it that makes this character treat the PC(s) like the Chosen Undead?
>>
>>44784612
nothing, she opens with that for every new Awakened to wander in out of the scrap-yard. but we distinguish ourselves by managing to return alive more often than not, and while most that do come back show more desperation and less Source, the PCs return better than ever more stable as personalities(representing a higher Psyche) with a great deal of Source.

that and when she asks a task of us "I hate to ask it of you kind soul; but if you are heading out in [direction] could you reactivate the [local branch workshop or city service]"
>>
>>44784612
They are Awakened Intelligence, with true sapience. Don't know if we ever decided on how that happens, and I personally believe there shouldn't be a hard reason why.
>>
>>44784612
Basically she treats all Awakened like skilled employees who just got transferred in and need to get on task.
>>
>>44784769
>and I personally believe there shouldn't be a hard reason why.
you ever see the movie iRobot?
the emergent behavior of the robots that got locked away something has been seeding the basics of an AI into Frames being delivered to the Scrap-yard some never develop, others awaken, but the PCs are the ones that truly succeed.
>>
>>44784863
Man I can't believe I completely forgot about iRobot. Good stuff.

As unscientific as it may sound I like the idea that the constant mingling of data as it gets transferred, corrupted, debugged, and changed just causes sapience to emerge by chance as the most beneficial and survival oriented data (ie fightan' and winnan'). Then players can choose to take the next step and become society oriented (by helping others and fixing the city) or just tearing it down cause it's their choice to make.
>>
File: 1442469076762.jpg (385 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1442469076762.jpg
385 KB, 1024x768
Didn't kill the thread with my silly thoughts on how one can be Awakened did I?

Also mono, in the pdf under hacking rules you have viruses that can be installed and triggered. Are these going to be the Hacking Programs that has been left empty or are those something else?

Also is it alright if I get a list of ones I've been working out for you tomorrow or the next day?
>>
>>44768585
Oh, didn't see it. Sorry.

>>44783745
We might have a problem with that. It's not like we can make a good plot on here without spoiling it for everyone, since this is a public forum.

Don't mean we can't try, though. We've got the beginning. Now what's the end? Are we (the PCs) setting things right, and how?

>>44770039
The current hacking system is a bit sparse on the details....
I'll assume that the listed hacking actions are always available.
Can we have programs scale with level somehow? Like having them all rely on your current Processor stat for damage.
Speaking of, how are we using Processor? Is it another currency, or a stat?

These suggestions assume we use the Processor stat as a resource that is replenished completely upon start of next turn. Processor is assigned prior to any rolls. Current available Processor is used for defense on opposed checks, and Processor Assigned (PA for short) is used for offense on same.
Rebalance these as required.

>MasterKey: Opposed Processor checks. On success, brings down 1d8*PA (Processor assigned) target firewalls

>Decryption: Opposed Processor checks. On success, adds +X PA to all Processor checks involving hostile actions on the target from you and allies, for the next Y turns, where PA = X+(Y/2)

>DDOS: Opposed Processor checks. On success, prevents all hostile (hacking) actions except Reactions from target on his turn.

>DDOS(upgraded): Opposed Processor checks. On success, prevents ALL (hacking) actions from target except Reactions on his turn.

Viruses could be either standalone packages, or triggers for hacking programs. I prefer the later.

>TripWire: 1d4*PA Processor on placement, up to hardware limit. No Firewall. On detection of hostile activity, triggers packaged hacking program.
This would be an example of an early game Virus. No Firewall means it can be removed easily, but if you didn't spot it before it triggers, it can do some
>>
Of course, all of this is subject to change.

>>44770970
I'd say have a style for each faction. Synth orchestra for the Cult, Power Rock for the Foundry...
>>
>>44786814
*damage. It IS getting on.
>>
Also, thread archived.
>>
>>44747453
Sounds like a good trade-off? Shoot better, punch shittier.
>>
File: how to tie your shoes.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
how to tie your shoes.webm
2 MB, 640x360
Fun Story: From Software actually develops their games ass-backwards compared to other developers. They pick two central themes for everything, hash out and nail down the core mechanics before anything else, and only at the end do they stuff everything with fluff and tie it all together with yarns. This is how their games always seem to maintain a seamless direction despite, to reference an above post, going from an asylum to a graveyard in the span of five minutes.

I would say now is probably a good time to get combat mechanics into something concrete, figure out what you want hacking to be and what it should/shouldn't be capable of, and basic rules for how player character customization should be done. I wouldn't worry about making individual weapons, character mods, or even NPCs just yet, that's just distracting from the important stuff this early on.

It's the difference between making one hundred character mod ideas and having to trash half of them because they don't work with the crunchy stuff you just worked out, and making fifty character mod ideas and keeping all of them because you already got the crunchy stuff out of the way. Except the latter gives more cohesion, whereas the former would still be a bit scatterbrained.
>>
File: fuck your chips.gif (4 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
fuck your chips.gif
4 MB, 320x180
>>44787767
Here is a more amusing robot clip.
>>
>>44787767
>They pick two central themes for everything
Like what?
>>
>>44787767
Dude, sauce?
>>
>>44786012
nah, I just didn't have any ideas

go for it. I won't be working much today, laser class.

>>44787767
I am working slowly on hacking and mechanics.

the loose fluff is dealt with, now we can hopefully work on other aspects...
>>
I don't have anything to add to this crunch wise, but I want you guys to know I support this project a lot.

Miazaki expressed an interest in tabletop games, but is bound by contract not to make a DaS one
>>
>>44789752
thank you for the support. I can hope I end up with something thats at least a tiny fraction of the awesome of a miazaki game...
>>
>>44789919
It probably won't, seeing as you've done everything the exact opposite of how From Software does it.
>>
>>44790292
Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat
>>
File: 1368941843384.jpg (88 KB, 416x444) Image search: [Google]
1368941843384.jpg
88 KB, 416x444
>>44790331
Well, obviously! First you need to determine what image file type you'll use, then you have to figure out how you want the model to correlate to the image file... And that's not including any form of bumpmapping or shader effects you want on the cat - or how to affect the texture for alternate perception models!

It's all a big pain. (I think that's how the saying goes; what is a pain? Some kind of waste package?)
>>
>>44732534

>WE HAVE:
>Tons of fluff

>WE NEED:
>crunch

Every /tg/ project ever.
>>
>>44784178
9/10 need more laughs at the end of dialogs
>>
>>44787822
Each game, they'd decide on two themes root everything in. For instance, Dark Souls 3's themes are Fire and Ice. I forgot what the others were, I think DaS2's was definitely Ash and maybe Cycles, Bloodborne's was Blood and something else (not beasts, surprisingly). It gets brought up from time to time in interviews with Miyazaki, whenever yet another reporter asks him the question about how they make their games for the Nth time.

>>44787951
The image? If memory serves, it's from a demonstration showcasing the advances in prosthetics... about two years ago.
>>
>>44790292
Sorta unavoidable. /tg being a public forum, we can't regiment as well as a professional software company can.
>>
>>44791093
yeah, but at least we DO have some crunch...
but the progression is slowing down...still I'll likely be locked in this room with my computer for some time in the next few months, which means that I can keep working on this off and on between fights with my laser.

the real bottleneck will be getting stuff balanced and play-tested.

>>44791233
we made some shit up then we decided this would be about "attaining humanity(finding the Lost)" or "becoming something new(Source)"

we do have the themes, but /tg/ wrapped a dozen different names around each to obscure them. digging out the important bits is what I did here...
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.