[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General™ (bgg), The Thread Was Down and I Was L
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: bgg.png (4 MB, 1998x1333) Image search: [Google]
bgg.png
4 MB, 1998x1333
Board Game General™ (bgg), The Thread Was Down and I Was Lonely edition

pastebin: http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

old thread: >>>44627874

> What board game would you wish to be created if it would be made just for you?

> How much time do you spend on board gaming on average in a week? Minimum? What was the most?

> Favorite/least favorite theme? Mechanic?
>>
File: Grape Escape G123.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Grape Escape G123.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
I've actually got a soft spot for some of these old 90's children's board games and their mechanical gimmicks. Pic-related was one of my favorites; make your pawns out of playdoh and then watch them get mutilated if they're on the wrong spot at the wrong time.
>>
Just picked up Dead of Winter, was a hit on our first playthrough.

I'm a hardcore wargamer looking to expand my collection of casual shit since I just moved and my friends here are either decent gamers but not into wargames, or scrubs and WAAGs. What can I get to lure them in?
>>
OP of other thread here.

I can't delete it, so just let it die.

Also here's the questions for anyone wanting to answer them:

>what's the best deal you've ever had on a board game?

>Name your favorite board game with a one sentence reasoning explaining why.

>do you have drunken board game nights from time to time? Tell us about them.
>>
>>44728390
Nevermind I'm a fucking retard- it's been deleted.
>>
How 2 win at axis allies?

Plz help
>>
Is Bruges a good game to get as a gift for someone that's somewhat of a pleb in board games? I know he likes board games but his taste is mediocre at best. He likes Catan and party games for example. I think he'd be at home with a light euro game.
>>
>>44728209

My family was pretty poor when I was young so I've seen all those magical board games like Weapons and Warriors, Don't Wake Daddy, Hungry Hungry Hippos etc and I was constantly mirin.

One thing I remember was that my father went to France to work and as a present I got a toy/board game catalog. Which was fun because there was so much awesome shit there, but also excruciatingly painful because I'd never have any.
>>
>>44728223
X-Wing miniatures game.
No, I'm serious.
40k player here, X-Wing is wonderful.
Easy to teach easy to learn, and easy to play.
Just keep in mind it's more of a skirmish game than a wargame.

But a mainstream game that's growing exponentially in popularity with a 15 page rulebook vs a game from the 80s with a giant price barrier and a 200 page rulebook before codex will sound way more palpable to them.
>>
>>44728456
waaaaay too expensive. Specially here in Straya. I checked some of the XWing stuff out at a few local game shops and we're talking hundreds of dollars here.
>>
>>44728669
Well I would recommend WMH or Infinity with tokens instead of miniatures, but what you're needing is easy mechanics and eye candy for them to be interested.

And since X-Wing cost major dough in kangaroo world, I'm not sure what to recommend.

What kind of board games to they already play as far as light/heavy and euro/ameri goes?
>>
>>44728737
I've got the playing Blood Bowl, Dead of Winter, and Robo Rally, and I've played Power Grid. Really just starting to get the feel for this group, so I can't say that much about tastes. Things with a solid theme are a plus, and Pure Euros probably won't go over that well.
>>
File: StudyInEmerald.jpg (435 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
StudyInEmerald.jpg
435 KB, 1500x1500
Has anyone played this? My group and I love the source material, but aren't sold by the description on BGG. Is it worth a buy?
>>
Played our first real game of Fury of Dracula last night.

It took until like turn 10 to even find anything on the trail (we never got any cards that would reveal location cards until the very end of the game and got all the 'pick a city' cards at the very beginning so they were all shots in the dark)

But we had finally cornered him towards the end of the game and had him down to 1 hit left, and with a good guess he managed to escape by bat, then played an event that let him search the discard and play a card and then played the 'take another dracula turn' card. And so he was now four roads away from anyone and we never were able to catch up before he timed out the game on despair/influence and won.

I don't blame him for anything he did, hell he played those cards well and won. It was just supremely unsatisfying since we only ever had two combats because every time we'd get close he had a roadblock up his sleeve or mature something that let him move multiple spaces or something that would move a hunter back a space.

I don't know how soon I'll push it to the table again because it was just so frustrating early to bumble around with no way of finding anything besides luck, and then to finally catch up to dracula only to have him whisk away to the other side of the god damned continent where we have absolutely no way of catching up with him again.

Sure there's probably actually strategy for hunters clearing pathways and such, but that would need a LOT of three hour games to really start understanding strategy and I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of time in one game that I haven't really enjoyed so far.

Over all I wasn't very impressed. You have to literally stumble across Dracula's trail and even then if he's got the right event card you're fucked cause now he's four spaces away with a gap and almost impossible to follow. Sure that might have just been our luck of the draw, but that's still in the game's detriment in my opinion.
>>
>>44728845
Hmm...
Maybe take a look at Forbidden Stars or Chaos in the Old World?
They can handle games with some meat, why not bump up the meat AND the theme?

Please keep in mind I only deduced those options from what I know about those board games and board gaming in general, but I haven't played either.
You may want to see if anyone else can give you a better response from their own experience.

Whatever the case is, unless you have an extra army or two hanging out, it's already going to be hard enough getting them into wargaming, even more so if it isn't the mainstream one (40k). Straya imports aren't cheap for plastic crack at all and will greatly discourage them from playing if the complex rules and assembling/painting minis doesn't first.
>>
>>44728156
>What board game would you wish to be created if it would be made just for you?
No idea man.

>How much time do you spend on board gaming on average in a week? Minimum? What was the most?
On average not much, I don't buy board games that often. The most I've spent was about $180 when I bought Churchill and Triumph&Tragedy.

>Favorite/least favorite theme? Mechanic?
Theme - depends on how it's implemented. As for mechanic, I'll sometimes get pretty annoyed with dice-rolling, again depending on how it's implemented.

>>44728223
>What can I get to lure them in?
Maybe start off with some strategy game like Mare Nostrum or Rex? There's trading, resource collection and inevitably there will be fighting (but no player elimination iirc). The Game of Thrones board game might work too if they're into the books/TV series, though I can't say much about the 2nd edition. After that, maybe one of the lighter COIN games? The wooden bits and the cards kind of disguise the nature of the game I suppose, and both Cuba Libre and Falling Sky are supposed to be getting prints soon. From there, well, I suppose you could broach the subject of hex-and-counter and/or block wargames! Btw what is WAAG?
>>
File: 2016-01-12 07.50.53.jpg (2 MB, 1450x2164) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-12 07.50.53.jpg
2 MB, 1450x2164
My haul has finally arrived- Serpent's Tongue. Excuse the shit pic I hastily snapped before leaving for work.

Even though it's pretty much a dead KS game, there's still a plethora of content for me to experiment with.

Unfortunately it's a tcg so I don't have access to the nearly 500 different cards unless I open pack after pack. But since the game is played with 27 spells per Codex, there are plenty to choose from.
>>
File: 2016-01-12 07.52.59.jpg (3 MB, 2530x1578) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-12 07.52.59.jpg
3 MB, 2530x1578
>>44729524
The game is a bit complex for me, but with practice I'll learn in no time.

The game is played by non-randomly choosing one of your 27 spells in your Codex and casting them. A weird and beautiful gimmick about it is the optional casting cost- learning the fictional language and properly reciting the spell names with the proper hand gestures.

It can be played solo for mini-campaigns, 1 vs 1, and then I believe a group play of up to 4 vs 4 provided everybody has their Codex and spell lists.

Since nobody in my area is going to be eager to play this complex and dead game, it looks like I'll be playing solo for quite some time.

Pictured is a standard card size next to their huge fukken cards.
>>
>>44728156

>> What board game would you wish to be created if it would be made just for you?
A Monster Hunter board game that works a lot like Kingdom Death but isn't $400 and is set in the monster hunter universe.

>> How much time do you spend on board gaming on average in a week? Minimum? What was the most?
I have a weekly meetup with people where we usually play RPGs, but sometimes board games. So at most I get about three hours of gaming a week though usually it's more like three hours a month. The most ever was recently over the Christmas break where I managed to get about a total of 12 hours of gaming spread over four days.
I wish I could get more games played, but I don't have an FLGS within an hour and a half of me and my friends have practically no aligning time slots in their schedules to do anything more than our Monday meeting.

>> Favorite/least favorite theme? Mechanic?
I love Sci-Fi and Transhumanism, and going purely on mechanics, I like Deckbuilding a lot.
>>
>>44729076
>even more so if it isn't the mainstream one (40k)

Apparently there's a small Infinity community, but I haven't played that and don't have the inclination to get into it.

I'm not trying to get them into hex and chit wargames and stuff (unless someone shows interest, in which case they know not what they've unleashed) but I do want games with enough meat for me to have fun. I'll check those two out.

>>44729516
Nobody is into Game of Thrones that I know of, thank goodness. Can't stand it myself. Unfortunately my big box OGRE isn't with me, and it only plays two or three comfortably anyways, or else it might do the trick.

WAG is Wives And Girlfriends, with an extra A cause it's a typo.
>>
>>44728426
What is wrong with Catan and party games?
>>
File: [].png (239 KB, 443x452) Image search: [Google]
[].png
239 KB, 443x452
>>44728156
>> What board game would you wish to be created if it would be made just for you?
Not sure, most of my fetishes are pretty well catered to. Maybe a new edition of Tannhauser?
>> How much time do you spend on board gaming on average in a week? Minimum? What was the most?
Probably 5-6 hours a week on average. Most was probably a couple weeks ago making up all the shattered ascention components for TI3 and then playing a game with them, close to 20 hours total maybe.
>> Favorite/least favorite theme? Mechanic?
I'm pretty flexible on theme, but my collection shows a strong bias towards Scifi. As for mechanics, I'm a big fan of hidden information and the importance of predicting an opponent's moves.

>>44728390
Managed a near-complete Tannhauser collection off of a combination of ebay, coolstuff, and FFG's holiday sales for around a third of MSRP. Really need to get that game to the table more.
Twilight Imperium, no other game has each play stick in my mind with as much satifaction or as many "what if's" for half as long.
Living in the mormon corridor means this doesn't happen much, but we did once have a certain burly, red-bearded, shirtless irishman gyrating around the game table screaming "BRUNCH BURGER" over and over again, after returning from a snack run to jack in the box. I think he'd emptied about a half a bottle of crown royal.
>>
>>44729896

Well Catan IMO objectively badly designed. Party games have their time and place, though.

What I was aiming at is saying that he's only limited to those two. It's either Catan or party games. He didn't like Talisman and he doesn't try to go out of his comfort zone much I think.
>>
>>44728390

$140 for StarCraft. It was used but the only thing used was the box. The tokens and planets weren't even punched out. The only thing mediocre about the deal were 6 broken figures but I fixed those with plastic cement.

Neuroshima: Hex. It feels like modern chess.

I can't drink right now but it's normal for our group to have a few beers or drinks when playing. Nothing too much, though.
>>
>>44729728
>Monster Hunter board game
Never even played KD and I never knew how bad I wanted this.
>>
>>44728452
>One thing I remember was that my father went to France to work and as a present I got a toy/board game catalog. Which was fun because there was so much awesome shit there, but also excruciatingly painful because I'd never have any.
That seems kind of cruel.
>>
>>44728410
which version?
You can look at the dedicated forums as well, but I wouldnt recommend it. It kinda ruined it for our group when we found some superior detailed strategies which just railroaded the first 4 turns.
>>
>>44730036
Thing is I think I'm missing out on some of the more refined parts of this game. I'm not that into military history so all the different boats and planes kinda confuse me.
But I'm searching for a more general strategy. I got smashed yesterday as the allies so I've got a couple of questions.
>Should I focus on building a fleet or an army in Britain?
I started by spamming tanks and then the next turn attacked Libya. With 5 tanks and two fighters I got kicked by 2 tanks, an artillery and an anti air gun.
>Is it worth it to bomb Europe IC?
I tried to twice but both times my bomber got shot up so it seems it isn't worth it.
>How 2 stop Japan?
I spammed infantry as Sovjet to keep them out of eastern russia but it didn't help. Also I think my strategy as the US didn't help at all.
>>
>>44730025

I think my father thought it would be like getting a car catalog or just "look at those awesome things in the west" (I'm from a former Soviet satellite). I don't think he meant any harm by this but yeah I remember how depressed I as a kid by this.

Seems so petty right now.
>>
>>44729925
how did the Shattered Ascention games go? I looked at the ruleset and I wasnt really impressed at all. It didnt look like it fixed anything that needed fixing. It seemed more like a different game variant for when you get tired of the original ruleset.
I do like the preset maps though. Too bad my brothers refuse to play the skirmish 3 player map.
>>
>>44730107
Yeah, I don't think he did it to be mean, but I tend to think it's easier to be happy when you don't know how much you're missing (ignorance is bliss and whatnot). Probably especially for children, who can get jealous pretty easily.
>>
>>44730104
It depends on the version you play. Are you playing 1940 2nd edition World (pac+eur)?
>>
>>44730169
1942 Spring version sorry
>>
>>44728390
>best deal
I've gotten some board games on Store Credit because I was getting out of Cardfight Vanguard, leaving me with ~400 dollars in store credit.
>Favorite game and one sentance why.
BattleCON. A huge cast of characters with varried playstyles, all emulating a genre of vidya I like but suck at because of difficulty of execution.
>drunken board game nights?
No one in my group drinks
>>
>>44730128
Only played one game with the whole ruleset, but I was really impressed. I think most races feel significantly less railroaded into certain techs or ship classes. Dreadnoughts and WarSuns are viable for people other than the L1Z1X and Letnev, for instance.
The revised racial techs and race-specific objectives were great (we barely missed out on the revised flagships getting published, so I'll have to add those next time), the SA method for dealing public objectives worked really well, I like the revised trade agreement handling. Pretty comfortable with the SA strategy cards, don't really miss anything from the stock ones with that set.

It'll take a few more plays before I'm willing to say that I'll never go back, but right now I think the original rulebook's days are limited in my group.
>>
>>44728156
> What board game would you wish to be created if it would be made just for you?
TI3 with a star wars EU re-skin, if only because I could probably get it to the table more often. I like TI3's universe well enough that it isn't a problem personally.
> How much time do you spend on board gaming on average in a week? Minimum? What was the most?
Until my new game room is set up, I only play once a month for about 10 hours. Most in one go would be playing Ultimate Warriorz followed by all 15 games of Risk Legacy. All told, it took about 18.5 hours.

I don't have a strong preference for any theme in particular. Mechanics-wise, I like hidden or personal objectives and significant asymmetry between players.

>>44728390
For games I actually payed for, I managed to grab Dead of Winter for $20 due to a pricing error at my local Barnes and Noble.
Chaos in the Old World, because every game has had me enjoy the whole experience more and more.
I used to game with a group that had a fair number of drinks. It made things difficult if we were playing something long and people drank too much, but fun.
>>
>>44728156
>board game created just for me
If I had a designer chained in my basement, I'd task him with making a game with a ground-level view of the board instead of a bird's-eye view
>time spent
Around 8-10 hours playing, and a few hours on board game threads/sites/videos
>min/max time spent
Minimum is obviously zero (I spent all of last February away from games). I've gone to 3 meetups in a week, so maybe 16 hours was my max?
>fave theme
Historical probably
>least fave theme
As lame as generic fantasy is, "Vikings" is much worse (gimme my Cossack-themed games).
>fave mechanic
Bluffing to be honest
>least fave mechanic
Dice combat, especially when you're doing 3+ rolls per player turn
>>44728390
>best deal
Keyflower for $42, it's hard to find in retail, let alone so cheaply
>fave game
Dominion, because it's the one game where I feel at my most competitive
>drunken nights
I rarely have more than a few beers these days. We did do tipsy Lift It! and ONUW during Christmas weekend
>>44728426
Oh hey, just played this for the first time last night! I'd only get it for someone who likes "classic" euros. It's not incredibly heavy but, it's so dry in terms of theme, that even a euro-friendly gamer will reach for a glass of water. Nice game though, definitely enjoyed the tough choices
>>
>>44730387
>TI3 with a star wars EU re-skin
This would depress me immensly if it came at the expense of either a new TI3 edition or expansion.
>>
>>44730189
I havent played specifically that version, but I'll try to give some general tips.
>Should I focus on building a fleet or an army in Britain?
Make sure Britain cannot be easily invaded in terms of building an army. For D-day I would try to focus on making US do the actual land invasion and let Britain support with ships and fighters to defend US transports and land fighters in US conquered territories to defend against a German counter assault.
>Is it worth it to bomb Europe IC?
Dont know the specific mechanics, but if its like the previous versions were you get 1 die +2 per bomber and only get shot down by AAs on 1. Then its worth it on average, but it might be better to use them some where else. Try to use ALL your units every turn. Idle units might as well be dead units.
>How 2 stop Japan?
Cant really say since I dont know the map properly. But as the allies you usually have to react in a proper manner to what the Axis does. The Axis makes up a battleplan which they follow, while the Allies has to figure out a counter move. Just remember that you can't win on every front. Try to just neutralise one Axis power quickly (not exterminate, just stop their advance properly) and then full focus on the other front.
All this depends on the winning conditions though. Im just speaking of my own experience from other versions so all this might be shitty advice for your version.
>>
>>44731521
I definitely agree. I would only want a star wars version for those people who normally wouldn't touch TI3 but go apeshit over anything in the star wars universe (there are a few of those nearby).
>>
>>44730285
Interesting. We're redoing dreadnoughts because of obvious reasons. The only other problems I have with the game are stale political cards and trade SC. We want to add mercs, but trade III has so few bonuses compared to other SCs. Everyone gets their full amount of trade goods and breaking them has no consequences as you can renew them next trade like nothing has happened. I dont even understand why there is a secondary to break trade agreements, they can be reformed again next trade. Mind you we are usually only 3 extreme warmongers who play.
>>
That Lucky Luke co-op game I mentioned a few threads back where you play The Daltons trying to rob the stagecoach so they can buy Ma Dalton something nice for her birthday, while avoiding Lucky Luke and Rantanplan.
There's usually only one board game meetup a month, so I can get 3-4 hours in. If I'm lucky, it could be as much as 12 hours over the space of Saturday-Monday, but that's VERY rare.
> Favorite/least favorite theme?
World War One. I've heard lots of good things about The Grizzled, but the fact that so many games based on this war have sprung up over the past two years smacks of profiteering. Also, I had a great-aunt whose fiance never came back from that war, it broke her inside. I never met the woman, but from what my mother told me it clearly had an impact on her.
>Mechanic?
Bidding, but that's only because I'm shit at it.
>>44728390
Space Crusade from a charity shop for £3.50. one of the space marines is a little broken, and the box is pretty dinged up, and two of the player aids are missing... but I can still sell it for a king's ransom.
Ankh Morpork is the perfect marriage of theme and mechanics, allowing everyone an equal playing field (provided they're a devious enough bastard), and is based on one of the greatest series of books from the past 50 years.
I'm teetotal, so I don't, therefore I can't.
>>44728905
It's a lot to take in, so odds are you'll get your arse handed to you a few times, but it IS great. That said, I've heard 2nd edition isn't so hot.
>>44728940
Give it a month, maybe two before suggesting it again.
>>
>>44730387
TI3 Star Wars Edition would be awesome. Not because I particularly love SW, but it would be easier to lure people to play TI3.
>>
A grand strategy second world war game with potential FFA/ahistorical scenarios filled with politics, influence, detailed battle boards, industry & economy, logistics, technology and very limited dice mechanics.

On average I'd say 5 hours. Though we usually play a game over several days and discuss it inbetween sessions and plot for several hours.
Minimum would be 0 hours, the most I think must have been up to about 20 hours.

Favourite mechanic depends on the game. Least favourite is dice, hands down.
got TI3 for 85USD, though this was in Norway so it's pretty good.

Ti3. Everything about it.

Played Spyfall at a preparty once. It went surprisingly well.
>>
>>44731879
I don't know, the theme doesn't seem like the hard part of TI3 to sell. Especially if you're talking about people already comfortable with at least popular scifi.
>>
>>44731749
If you really want mercs, just houserule in a draw2, buy1 for everyone in the status phase.
>>
>>44730827

Does Catan count as a classic euro ;P? Is it easy? The dry theme might not matter if it's approachable.

I want to get it mostly for an in-joke but I don't want to give him a game he won't like. Said friend is now In Belgium and we both like In Bruges (fucking Bruges!)
>>
>>44732156
Currently just modified trade II that you can choose to either get 1 trade good and draw 2 merc, pick 1 or get normal 3 trade goods. >>44732124
I gotta admit. I was retarted and delayed buying TI3 a whole year cause Im skeptical to scifi themes. I agree it's not the theme which is the hard part to sell, but a Star Wars theme would be easier to sell than just some scifi themed game. Especially now, after a new SW movie was released.
>>
>>44732091
>Though we usually play a game over several days and discuss it inbetween sessions and plot for several hours.
I miss that feeling from browser games I used to play as a teenager. Even RPGs didn't give me that since I usually DM.

>>44732270
Catan is probably *the* classic Euro (or was that Agricola? anyway). Very easy to pick up too.
>>
File: TTcards.png (78 KB, 186x263) Image search: [Google]
TTcards.png
78 KB, 186x263
>>44732091
>war game
>very limited dice mechanics
Gonna be a tough one.

That said, Triumph&Tragedy could be worth taking a look at. It's not exactly a WWII game per se but rather sets a stage in 1936 with England, Germany and the USSR as player powers. It's a grand strategy block wargame that uses card play for political influence, technology and industry advancements, and last but not least troop commands. I realize that sounds like a lot of cards but they're actually multi-purpose; influence and command "share" cards, and technology and industry also "share" cards. Shitty resolution pic related.

>politics, influence
Maybe kind of. You can place influence in various neutral powers to attain associate/protectorate/satellite status with them. This gives exclusive access to their population and resources and depending on influence level other benefits. Population, Resources, and Industry are basically your currency, the lowest of the three determines how many cards you can purchase each round as well as how many units you can build/upgrade. It doesn't really get more complicated than that however. Attacking neutral powers gives the other players influence/command cards.

>detailed battle boards
>battle boards
I don't really know what a battle board is...

>industry
Yeh. It's abstracted to tech/industry cards basically. Each power starts with a certain industry level and can increase it by playing tech/industry cards for their industry value equal/higher than the cost associated.

>economy
Abstracted to a shared population, resources and industry track. Very roughly covered already, but I suppose here it should be noted that population and resources can be blockaded by enemy players.

1/2
>>
>>44732091
>>44732664
>technology
Tech/industry cards again. Play a pair of cards with the same tech displayed and you have that tech. Or you can keep that tech secret from other players by putting it in a secret vault, at the cost of reduced hand size. (You can develop and atom bomb and instawin!)

>logistics
Units, population, and resources need to be able to trace a line back to one's main capital and/or subcapital. Not much more than that I'm afraid.

>very limited dice mechanics
Doesn't meet this criteria unfortunately. FWIW I had a strong dislike for dice rolling as well, but it worked well in this game imo. Make of that what you will.

Winning can be achieved by
>1
Take 2 enemy capitals and/or sub-capitals.
>2
Get to an effective 25 on the pop/res/ind track, ie the lowest potentially blockaded value on the track is at least 25.
>3
Develop all four stages of the atom bomb, in order.
>4
Highest on pop/res/ind track after nine rounds (1936-1945).

2/2
>>
File: SANY1292.jpg (309 KB, 1600x1197) Image search: [Google]
SANY1292.jpg
309 KB, 1600x1197
>>44732664
I really do want Triumph & Tragedy ;_;
What I meant with battle boards is a separate board from the main game which is used to do battles in details. Not only throw dice and see who has the most hits, but were you have to make battle plans and actually command your units to advance to a flank, bomb that place with artillery and bombers etc. They had it in Napoleon in Europe and I loved it. Pic related
>>
>>44732613

I was asking if Bruges was easy. I know Catan.
>>
>>44732916
Aah okay. Yeah none of that in T&T, just bunches of blocks duking it out.

Also these guys seem to have a damn good price on T&T atm:
http://www.shop4world.com/war-board-games/triumph-and-tragedy?awc=5779_1452630114_b707bd0d449e8417db68b9ba20c367a5
>>
>>44728156
Oh look ANOTHER board game general I glanced over because of the image.

For the game itself or off of MSRP? Because for the game itself I'd say Castles of Burgundy was amazing for $25. MSRP discounts, I'd say Tide of Iron Next Wave plus Fury of the Bear on FFG's december sale. Still haven't played that one much though because WWII aesthetic physically makes me sleepy.

Twilight Imperium is a Space Opera, better than Star Wars, which has way too many pieces and strategic depth to be ignored by any gamer.

Nope. I don't drink publicly and the one time I did, I spent the whole time desperately trying to seem normal. Somehow I passed. My gf and I used to get high as ass then play Panini's DBZ card game though. Maybe a few others. I actually play just fine when blazed. I went to a Cardfight Vanguard tournament a little high once and calmly destroyed asses straight to first place, not that this was unusual.
>>
File: when you see a namefag.jpg (53 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
when you see a namefag.jpg
53 KB, 512x384
Anyone hype for Xenoshyft: Dreadmire? Kickstarter just launched and predictably got lots of funding already. There's litterally just one pledge level which I gurss works well for it. And so far only a little bit of exclusive stuff.

>>44733398
>namefag not knowing how to use ctrl+f
>>
>>44733615
>Using an image uploaded by a namefag to make fun of a different namefag.
Not sure if perfect or retarded.
>>
Welp, there goes that code.
rip in pepperoni
>>
>>44733901
Welp, there goes that code.
rip in pepperoni
>>
>>44733398

Everybody was doing it and I wanted to be popular... what image would you suggest?

>>44733979
>>44733901
>>44733933

KEK
E
K

You know there's nothing that will hide the shame?
>>
>>44734023
Dude the image is fine. It was a board game and says 'board game general' and you included 'board game general' and 'bgg' in the opening post.

That's fine for a first post.
>>
>>44734023
Sudoku in progress.

Anyways,
Anyone have any experience with buying and using a cheap laminator? Getting sick of paying fedex two bucks a page whenever I want to make decent components up.
>>
>>44732270
It's not Catan easy. You have 2 different kinds of resources to keep track of plus a hand, and each card has 5 or 6 different uses. The game does a good job with player aids and even reminders on each card that tell you which actions you may take. I can still see someone who isn't familiar with euros like Puerto Rico or Hansa Teutonica (not those specifically, just examples of weight) struggling to follow along without a good rules teacher. That said, it can be done
>>
>>44734131
I just got an amazonbasics laminator and a hundred sleeves for about $35, seems to work pretty well but I haven't done any big projects with it yet. Not sure it'd handle board-thickness cardboard, but should be fine for anything up to thick-ish cardpaper.
>>
>>44734659
Damn, would have already saved myself a few bucks even if I never do anything again. That's two idiot strikes this afternoon, must be time to stop posting.
>>
File: Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg (2 MB, 2416x1920) Image search: [Google]
Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg
2 MB, 2416x1920
>>44734131
>>44734659
I keep pimping out the use of laminators during varios /bgg/ threads when the topic comes up. Picked up an inexpensive model from Staples and look for the occasional sales on the lamination sheets in bulk. I've used mine to make durable player aids for a bunch of different games. I routinely scavenge board game geek's files sections for various games and print out play aids on card stock and laminate them, Dead of Winter, Dark Moon, etc. I've also protected original components like the player boards from Nexus OPs, etc. And it's fantastic with any print and play games - these printed counters for 'The Duke' have thin sheet metal squares glued in their centers. I then laminated them to create magnetic 'travel' versions of 'The Duke'. Pic related.
>>
>>44735712
Yeah, I've always been impressed with that job on The duke. Looks great and makes for a fantastic travel game.
>>
>>44728156
When I was younger, I used to play this game with my friends. Eventually the arms broke so only one would flip up and it would get stuck straight out, hand flat.

So we drew a little mustache on him and renamed the game 'Don't Wake Hitler'
>>
>>44729524
>>44729577
Since the KS did terribly distribution-wise, even the forums are all but dead. There's nowhere to talk about this game.

>fb
Dead
>twitter
Dead
>bgg
Dead
>forums
Slowing pulse

If any of you guys have even heard of Serpent's Tongue, what are your opinions on it?
Has anyone here played it?
I feel like this could be an incredibly deep game that gets overlooked because of nongameplay-related issued.
>>
File: Don't Wake The Dragon.jpg (165 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
Don't Wake The Dragon.jpg
165 KB, 500x334
>>44728156
>>
>>44737961
Now do the Hitler version.
>>
>>44737917
I don't remember ever hearing about it, and yet I've been looking at every new game Kickstarter for months (until recently).
>>
>>44738191
The KS was back in 2013 and nothing shipped until sometime in 2014 I believe.
I have no idea since I never backed it and only just heard about it a few months ago.

It's definitely unique, just a shame that any interest there was for it has been steadily dying.

If I read from a factual source, it was also the most funded KS for games before Exploding Kittens took its place.
>>
>>44738837
Might have been the most funded card game before exploding kittens, but definitely wasn't the most funded tabletop game.
>>
>>44728669
buy online, bookdepository.com is your friend fellow 'strayan.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 576x432
anyone know a game like pirateer but with a hexagonal board?
>>
>>44738837
Isn't 1 year kinda an average turn around though?
>>
>>44728209
If you want to play it again, I think it goes by the name "Smashed Potatoes" now, and you create little taters and mash them up.
>>
>>44739324
Well whatever the case, the KS did very well.

>>44741116
It's not the one year turnaround from what I've read.
Some folk still haven't received their orders to this day.
The dude in charge of it all refuses to post updates about what all is happening on his end and is in complete control of all shipments.
Not only is one dude doing everything, he went broke and did a "fire sale" to sell all product at manufacturer's cost to help get out AvakShar cards (bonus cards), a complete magicians handbook, and other goodies not fully funded that need to be made and shipped out.

I wish it didn't go the route the way it did, but we must deal with the hand we were dealt. At least I have plenty of product in hand to last me a very long time if nothing else every arises from the company again.

Also the KS founder was arrested for assault and kidnapping, but this was only posted on clickbait websites back in November, so everyone is still trying to find out what the fuck happened
>>
File: Faraway Dawn.png (430 KB, 1007x697) Image search: [Google]
Faraway Dawn.png
430 KB, 1007x697
>>44728156
A game of my favourite franchise. Pic related. Converting Faraway Dawn into a board game is actually doable, but I'd have to take certain liberties since the damage formula isn't available anywhere. I've been recommended Xenoshyft as a replacement, though I haven't tried looking for it yet. It is a Kickstarter game and not available for retail, right?

Also Monster Hunter, as in >>44729728.

Sometimes I game 1 - 2 hours on Saturdays, though it does depend on if my friends feel up to it. The moodmaker of our group will be coming back soon though, and with the holidays coming hopefully I can get them to game more. Got my mom playing Jaipur and Timeline too, so there's that.

Sci-fi I think, specifically something with mechs, though I'm ok with anything. Don't really have a least favourite theme, but I'm hesitant to buy games that are connected to franchises I'm not familiar with or don't know much about, like the X-Wing or 40k series.

As for mechanics, probably simultaneous card reveals, and card deck as HP.
>>
>>44743266
No, you can get the XenoShyft game and expansions from places like CSI. There's a new KS that just started as well.
>>
>>44728390
New Carcassonne and Dominion for $5 apiece from goodwill back when I first got into board gaming. I don't play them now but it was a damn good time.
Tragedy Looper. I'm just a big sucker for anime, time travel, asymmetric games where I can set up elaborate ruses.
I buy all the board games, and "you ruin it, you replace it" is my policy regarding drinks and board games.
Everyone stopped drinking at the table when they found out the price tags for some of the games.
>>
>>44728156
>Don't wake dad!
>Don't wake dad inside!
>Can't wake dad!
>Don't wake dad inside!
>Save me!
>>
File: dont-wake-stalin.png (333 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
dont-wake-stalin.png
333 KB, 500x346
>>44737961
>>44737143

Reminds me of pic related
>>
>>44728390
>>what's the best deal you've ever had on a board game?
1983 edition of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective in a thrift store. 25 cents.
>>
>>44743266

Interesting game. Is there any English translation?
>>
>>44746442
For the tactical RPG? I don't think there is any, though the menus and stuff were translated on the wiki. An extensive guide for playing is available there too. The visual novel series itself recently had a successful Kickstarter, so you can expect that out sooner or later.
>>
Netrunner card or board game for up to 4 players. Like GoT LCG.
Doing shift work prevents me living my life properly, so effectively 0. Sometimes I play with my gf or on special days we go out to play with my friends, but that's it. My ideal would be 1 afternoon/week or 1 afternoon/2weeks.
Favorite mechanics are betrayer/hidden identity, secret bidding, bluffing and backstabbing mechanics. Least favorite is anything game changer related to dice.
>>
I just got done with a seven hour Mageknight session. I played the bloodmage in a three man cooperative effort to take three cities in six rounds. By the end of the game, I had a deck with 47 cards in it... and over half of them were wound cards. Needless to say, we had a good laugh when we realized just how many points we lost by letting me get out of control with that.

It's taken a few tries, but Mageknight is growing on me.
>>
>>44746996
How many times did you get knocked out?
>>
>>44746996
I'm now imagining a mage who every time he tries to talk is just constantly gurgling up blood as he speaks. But he's used to it so he just ignores it and tries to talk as normally as possible.
>>
>>44746996
>After a seven hour game
>Mage knight is growing on me
Genuinely impressed with your fortitude.
>>
>>44748286
Obviously you and I need to organize massive HON team games at our ends! ;)

> Honestly, how long can it take to simulate the entire Normandy landings?
>>
>>44748323
Every couple of weeks I just dump out all the map tiles and cover the whole damn table with a beachhead>farm>urban or beachhead>urban>farmland map. Still haven't even started to figure out forces for such an undertaking, but at something like 3-4x6-7 terrain tiles, I'm thinking at least 2k points.
>>
>>44732091
Your ideal game already exists, it is called Quartermaster General. Enjoy!
>>
>>44749493
Damn you! Stop pimping that! It looks really good and I already have a ton of stuff on my 'wish list'. :) My only saving grace is that it and the expansion are out of stock at CSI.
>>
File: City01.jpg (524 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
City01.jpg
524 KB, 1200x900
>>44748349
Dem Feels - I know them. Pic related...
>>
What are some light wargames in the vein of OGRE?
>>
>>44749935
Hah, it's the first time I've pimped it out, I'm normally raving about KDM, however, besides not having a tactical level battle mini game a la Forbidden Stars, it's the only diceless WW2 logistics simulator I've ever played. Still haven't won as the Axis yet though, everyone I play Germany I feel like I'm just getting gang raped by everyone, so I constantly bitch at Japan for being a bunch of useless fucks and Italy for not taking Africa.
>>
>>44728223
Combat Commander, here's a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7LV890hz2Y
>>
Anyone here play The Duke? Picked it up on a whim w/ Christmas gift cards and my group has enjoyed it so far but isn't 100% on the random nature of summoning. Does anyone have a unit ranking or an order for drawing so things scale up over time?
>>
File: image.jpg (309 KB, 2608x1060) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309 KB, 2608x1060
>>44750220
Shit, pic
>>
>>44750125
>so I constantly bitch at Japan for being a bunch of useless fucks and Italy for not taking Africa.
You just can't get this level of authenticity in most games.

>>44750242
Part of the reason the game works so well is that it isn't solvable, which making draw deterministic might ruin. Part of the appeal is that it requires a little more improvisation than most abstracts.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Anyone play games solo?

Wouldn't have expected it, but really enjoy Mage Knight and Gates of Loyang,
>>
>>44750276
Yeah, I personally like the random draw, and if I -had- to make things more deterministic I'd probably do something like rank the tiles, but always have 5-10 in the bag you have to draw from.

While I got you though, what optional stuff do you include? I've done 3 games so far and am starting to include stuff like the Duchess to see how it effects play.
>>
>>44750717
Honestly, I've done very little with any of the special power tiles. Keep meaning to, as well as picking up The Jarl or some of the expansions to get some more variety.
>>
>>44750589
I've tried Viceroy's solo mode and wouldn't recommend it. The "AI" is constantly betting on the card you want and taking away your gems, while it doesn't give a shit because it has infinite gems. Of course it only has 25% chance to pick the card you want, but knowing my luck...

I also played Ascension (Rise of Vigil) once solo, it wasn't bad. It felt like it would be extremely difficult to win, but I made it on my first play using several cards that affect the center row so I could deny points from the "AI."

Other than that, nothing except one of my own prototypes or trying games against myself when I can't get a group together quickly enough to satisfy the urge.
>>
>>44750589

I'm looking more towards solo games as my group is too aspie to play anything more complicated than Betrayal. Anybody try Agricola solo?
>>
>>44747356
There were a lot of times I took the max wounds I could take in a turn. A lot.

I hit my two blood abilities really early though, and that helped a lot.

>>44748286
Our group aims to do a long game like that once every couple months, and the most popular choice for that is TI3. We had a game of that where we deliberately set aside a whole weekend, and it was one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had. We'd play for a couple hours, take short breaks, go out to eat, all sorts of stuff like that. I normally have focus issues going into about hour six of any game we play, but not when it's so "casual".
>>
File: u_suck.jpg (51 KB, 960x842) Image search: [Google]
u_suck.jpg
51 KB, 960x842
It is literally impossible for Insects to win a game of 5/6 player Dominant Species.

New players gun for you because of the perceived threat of your early game cube count.

Experienced players play around the insect +1 the most out of any special ability.

+1 is inherently worse than -1 from Arachnids.

Prove me wrong, /tg/.
>>
>>44728940
Did you consider burning some Resolve to narrow down his trail a little? If he's running around without you having any clues, a Newspaper Report might not be a bad bet. Also, don't forget Mina's ability can really help narrow things down as well.
>>
>>44753878
I'm pretty sure they're playing third edition.
Mina's ability is still pretty important though, but it's very expensive to use.
>>
>>44728940
We've played 3 times now, 3 different Draculas, and all three were hunter victories.

>It took until like turn 10 to even find anything on the trail
Like the other anon said, use Mina. She can be pretty easily positioned such that she can check three continents within three turns. Even if you don't get a hit, you're still narrowing things down. If Dracula isn't in the middle of the map, he's almost always going to be in Spain or Russia, so your other hunters should be covering those areas. If Dracula tries for England, he's going to be forced into the water pretty quickly.

>And so he was now four roads away from anyone and we never were able to catch up
Four roads away really isn't that far when you have train tickets and cards that can let you move more than a single road.

>every time we'd get close he had a roadblock up his sleeve
A setback, but not a major problem unless he catches you in an area with no train options. Just spend a ticket and zip past the blocks.

>mature something that let him move multiple spaces
Don't let him mature cards. Obviously you have to find his trail first, which goes back to the first point, but one of the biggest mistakes is focusing too much on Dracula while allowing his traps and spawns to mature off the track. Sometimes it's worthwhile sending one hunter off to deal with encounter cards while the others continue the chase.

The best advice I can give is stay in front of him. Don't just follow the trail, but cut him off. Dracula can't backtrack until his location cards exit the track which means he's usually always moving in one particular direction. Moving to intercept limits his options as he can't cross your path without forcing a fight.
>>
>>44753999
>Mina's ability is still pretty important though, but it's very expensive to use.
Hmm? All you have to do is keep a her nearby another hunter. This isn't really much of a cost. And once you've figured out which region Dracula is in, you can immediately split up to cover multiple cities.
>>
>>44754255
Keeping close together when you don't know what region dracula's in is a significant cost, as is the action you spend moving another hunter into mina's city, and the action you spend on mina to scan. It's a long, long ways from free.
>>
>>44754384
Except that you can easily hug the border of several regions at once such that you can check them all in the first few turns of the game. The hunter sticking close to Mina can be using his actions to stock up on supplies (Either the Lord or Helsing is a good bet since the former draws extra and Helsing can outfit the rest of the party from anywhere).
>>
>>44754517
I'm not saying it's not useful, I'm just saying that it's costly. And the guy stocking up on supplies is going to be doing it at night, and frequently in the small cities that only give an event card.
>>
>>44754569
It's not a meaningful cost. What else would you be doing? Spreading out is just as much a cost, but only works if you land on a city Dracula has been in. Mina's ability lets you check several cities at once. It doesn't give you the precise location, but you can quickly surmise that based on where your other hunters are and Dracula's movement patterns.

>And the guy stocking up on supplies is going to be doing it at night, and frequently in the small cities that only give an event card.
Nope, there are several cities you can hop between that let you fully supply. Also, since Mina moves last, you can pretty safely have the supplier stay in place on turn one, supplying both during the day and at night, letting Mina move to him.
>>
>>44753878
>>44754223
3rd edition yes

We did use Mina as much as we thought was reasonable. We started Mina and another hunter on the border between Germany and France, checked both regions in the first two turns and then split up to search Russia/Spain. One hunter started in Russia and wasn't able to find anything until later, and the other started near Spain.

And after that it was almost never a question of what region he was in, but which of the six possible cities did he escape like a bat off into.

And then at the very end he went from the top of Germany all the way down to the ass end of Russia in a single turn. Which was supremely frustrating.
>>
>>44755005
>top of Germany all the way down to the ass end of Russia in a single turn
This shouldn't be possible. Are you sure you were playing correctly?
>>
>>44755050
I am using voluminous language, yes. But to be more specific he was in the upper part of germany close to the russia border and then escaped like a bat for two roads away, and then played an event card to take two dracula turns for two more road spaces.

Four roads can put deep into russia, but we had no idea which direction he went so he could have made it into Italy, the france/spain border, or deep into russia. There was zero chance to catch up with how late in the game it was.

But like I said in my original post I think the dracula player played very well. It just wasn't fun to bumble around for an hour not finding ANY clues or things that could help us find clues, and then spend another hour and a half trying to chase him but being blocked at every turn, and then after finally cornering him and putting the hurt on him he just poofs off to the other side of the map with literally 2/3 of the maps cities being a possible new location for him.
>>
>>44745535
>11pm, bedtime was hours ago
>sis and I are still awake
>we're really fucking hungry
>only viable route to the kitchen is through the master bedroom
>have to press dad's alarm clock whenever we make a noise
>do it twice, daddy didn't wake up
>in the clear
>hear sister far behind me
>HOLY SHIT THAT WAS LOUD
>he'll surely wake up this time
>he doesn't wake up
>get lucky three more times after making noises
>in just a matter of minutes, we stuff ice cream down our faces and raise our arms victoriously
>step back into daddy's bedroom afterwards
>something doesn't seem right
>I press his alarm
>again
>and again
>daddy doesn't budge
>I instinctively go to shake his arm
>it's cold as ice
>flit my eyes across to my sister, she must see my terror and her eyes start to water, her mouth contorts
>I ready myself, and climb onto the tall, rickety bed, just barely catching his thousand yard stare into the ceiling, before tumbling back onto the floor in shock
>someone screamed
>it might've been me

>the paramedics said it was a massive heart attack
>they assured us he didn't have any pain
>"what are we going to do" mom sobbed
>I just sat there, wanting to throw up
>they left us some time alone with him, called the priest and the funeral home for us, while we waited and watched him still in his bed
>I had to climb a chair to see him, mom held sis in her arms
>they lowered his eyelids, so we wouldn't have to endure the stillness--lifelessness--of his eyes
>Father John performed the last rites quickly
>I watched his hands wave over the pages of his bible, his fingertips catching the corner of each page with gentle reverence for the departed...my daddy
>After a talk with mom, Father John picks his coat from off dad's armchair and turns to me
>"you're the man of the house now, son. Take care of your mother and your sister."
>the hearse arrives on cue, Father John says his goodbyes and well wishes
>"the wake is set for Friday"
>"wake" I think to myself, "what a joke"
>>
File: 1451178838442.png (76 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1451178838442.png
76 KB, 320x240
>>44755558
And the Pulitzer for short story in 2016 goes to...
>>
>>44755196
I think the problem is that it took you 1 hour to pick up any kind of trail. This shouldn't be happening, regardless as to what kind of cards you're drawing. Mina will very quickly narrow down the possible regions and a single hunter can quickly check the possible routes. Without knowing precisely how you're team was moving, I can't really offer any suggestions.

Preventing Drac from using Escape as a Bat is pretty essential, though. The trick is, as I said earlier, to cut him off. If he's forced to move into you, combat will take place during the day, and he'll not be able to take advantage of Escape's movement bonus. In general, loading up on equipment that will prevent bat escape's is pretty necessary.
>>
File: 100.jpg (23 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
23 KB, 300x225
>>44755558
>>
>>44755769
It was our second game so we still didn't know what we were doing. We did our best to cut across lines that he would likely need to go through to make a trail so long, but just went to all the wrong places. And like I said in my original post, I'm not feeling like it's worth the time to 'learn' how to play the hunters properly due to how long the games are when dracula is timing things out and how frustrating it is to be bumbling around lost.

But I did try to get people to meet up with me so I could use Mina's ability in spain or russia but everyone else thought it would be better to just cast a wide net.
>>
>>44750589
Playing Talisman on my laptop is strangely soothing, especially if I have music or a podcast on.
>>
>>44756470
>But I did try to get people to meet up with me so I could use Mina's ability in spain or russia but everyone else thought it would be better to just cast a wide net.
That's the problem then. Casting a net is what you do once you've narrowed things down. Early on you need to figure out where to check, and Mina's ability is essential for cluing you into the general area Dracula is in (or isn't in, which can still be helpful).

Once you've nailed that down, then you can start casting you net, forcing Dracula to move more predictably. Spain, for instance, has a pretty clear bottleneck hunters can take advantage of. Dracula is then forced to fight his way through or jump in the water. Either way, he's taking damage.
>>
>>44750589
Apps are perfect for this.
Been playing quite a bit of Galaxy Trucker, Ascension, and Tigris and Euphrates lately. My wife plays a ton of Neuroshima Hex! solo, hence why she stomps me hard when we play nowadays. She also recently got Galaxy Trucker on mobile and is enjoying it, though she prefers playing it for real at 4 and watching all our hopes and dreams come crashing down.
>>
>>44753356

The power of insects comes from being first on the initiative track, it's doubtful someone will get in front of you because people will prefer getting the Initiative AP on the lower end of the spectrum.

Your tactics should build around that i.e going for the strongest dominance card and fucking everyone over.

Your +1 should be used to
1. break ties for dominance scoring
2. add one species where it still can get points
3. spread to tundra

Yes arachnids get an edge here because competition is later on *and* they're on higher on the food chain too boot but you shouldn't take a knife to a gun fight in the first place.

Use the fact, that you're last in speciation and make it count.

I was thinking of coding the Dominant Species engine and running simulations to see whether there's a inherent lack of balance. Being too lazy I have no idea if the game is balanced or not but most of our games were won by the same people (using different animals) so skill > animal choice.
>>
>>what's the best deal you've ever had on a board game?
60 bucks for starcraft and axis and allies europe. Good condition.

>>Name your favorite board game with a one sentence reasoning explaining why.
(shit question, no game works in every situation)

Dungeonquest because it everyone goes from supportive of winning to supportive of you dying.

>>do you have drunken board game nights from time to time? Tell us about them.

Monthly parties involve alcohol but never anything crazy. I miss my party centric friends, they all moved away, now im left with the nerds who don't party or do the bar scene at all.
>>
God damn it, why is Kill Doctor Lucky so fucking expensive? I just want to indulge in some anti-Cluedo shenanigans... I guess it's a good thing Cheapass Games made a gorillion dollars on Kickstarter
>>
I'm about to have a $270 amazon gift card. What games should I spend it on? I don't have a group and only usually get 1 friend to play with.
>>
>>44751192
Haven't tried Agricola - so I can't help you there. However there's:

Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island
Gears of War
Xenoshyft
Archipelago
Robinson Crusoe
& Pandemic

All of which would be playable solo.
>>
>>44760358
Anon, see this post >>44760514 with a list of games that can be played solo or co-op. Other than that, what types of games are you interested in?
>>
>>44760358

Depends on if that one person likes to game or not. There's a bunch of fun 2 player games out there though. Mage wars, summoner wars, rum and bones, Devestation of indines, Zombicide (supports more than that but works with 2).
>>
What games do /bgg/ consider too hard to be enjoyable? I've come to think that it's a matter of commitment/extreme difficulty ratio for me. For example...

A good ratio would be dungeonquest being low commitment/extreme difficulty. It takes very little time to pull out and set up, very little time to teach, and it will crush you utterly. There's a running theme with my copy that if you make it to the center and leave the board with a piece of the dragons hoard, you can sign your name on the inside of my box. So far there are no signatures on the inside, maybe 25ish plays with an average of 4 players since the rule was made.

A bad ratio for me is legendary encounters or Xcom. Both take a sizeable amount of time to put on the table and then explain how to play. Both are pretty hard and from what I see they regularly crush players. Xenoshyft and Shadowrun crossfire come to mind as well.

Kind of funny that I love xcom on the pc both old and new, but I just couldn't get behind the board game at all.

Soooo yeah. What hardcore games are too hardcore for you?
>>
>>44760998

You're still spamming these bait posts?
>>
>>44760998
I think you have the wrong thread (why does this happen so often with /bgg/?).
>>
>>44760805
Jeez zombicide and rum and bones are expensive.

Mage wars looks pretty involved but interesting. I think I am going to try that one out.

>>44760514
Gears is $90 on Amazon, is that normal?
>>
>>44761233

Mage wars is great fun, but the problem you run into is that if you really want that epic experience, you're going to have to find someone who also wants to make their own spell book. Otherwise it's like playing magic, only you're always playing with your cards and letting others borrow them.

>Gears

It's out of print. Has been for a while.
>>
>>44760998
is that the buttcrack guy? what a faggot. he should have been permabanned
>>
>>44761144
I only played Robinson Crusoe once and it seemed so unlikely for players to beat the scenario that we had to stop the game, reread the rules and look online for erratas. Everyone was going "what the fuck is this?" while I laughed my ass off at how badly steamrolled we were getting and wondered what the hell we weren't getting.

I don't think I can even mention that game without raising my uncle's blood pressure.
>>
>>44761282
Do you need 2 copies of mage wars to play it fully or something? I really would prefer games that I could play out of a box.

I read that stuff like Doomtown and Netrunner basically require you to purchase multiple copies for multiple players to get the full opportunity. I'm not really looking for deck construction games anyways. I don't really like the burden of set up for those games.
>>
>>44760669
I like modular board, exploration, and games with numbers and management. I just got the cave and it's fun.
>>
>>44761375

In the beginning, they had 4 default spellbooks, you could make 2 but you could never make all 4 or something they like that. After some complaints they changed it, so if you manage to pick up 2 additional spell books you can have all 4 default spellbooks ready to go.

In other words yes, you can play it out of the box. It's meant to be sort of like netrunner, in that everyone buys their own copy of the game, but it's not absolutely required.
>>
>>44761509

Eh, a bit of clarity

When I say spellbooks, I mean classes. Each class has a default spell book they list for you. So out of the box you have all of the classes available to you, and you have the option (it's encouraged) to fine tune your books and change things around as you see fit. Just know by taking out/adding in one thing you might effect the default spellbook of another. However, with all of them made, you've still got a bunch of extra cards to give you options.
>>
>>44761509
Hm, so it probably isn't a good game for the moment. Maybe if I meet someone who would want to dedicate a bit of learning to one particular game. It doesn't seem like something I could teach to someone and play well with on the first go.
>>
>>44728156
TFW:
Your dad works night shift during your childhood and this game becomes a real life paradigm.
>>
>>44761375
Subjective: One core box for netrunner is a lot of game, two people can play that for quite a while with no expansions without getting bored, my wife and I didn't touch expansions for six months, playing 3-4 games a week or more.
>>
>>44762446
I need to find me one of those wives. I keep reading about people playing games with them.
>>
>>44762486
Find out if your town has a fencing club. Those things are some kind of mystical convergence point for socially functional, reasonably athletic/attractive people with a need/geek/gamer streak. Unless you're in a town big enough that it's just elitist dicks.
>>
>>44762664
Nerd*
>>
>>44762664
Hmm, I'll bite. I did fencing for a year in hs though and I'm a lefty :^). If they don't have a lefty they'll love me.
>>
>>44761144
I've actually found the soul crushing defeat of Xcom to be perfect, though I haven't broken it out on the casual group that's forming up of family/friends. For my friends who are actually gamers it's perfect, prolly because we enjoy co-ops but also seeing each other sad.

I'm not sure I could define "too hardcore" but maybe that's because there's been times I've found heavier gaming relaxing and times when Bang & Waterdeep left me brain dead.
>>
Any one know of a convincing way to get my friends to try zombicide?
>>
>>44763990
Boarding up the windows and playing Micheal Jackson's 'Thriller' video on an endless loop until they consent?
>>
Is zombicide worth playing? How do you guys like it?
>>
>>44761419
>I like modular board, exploration, and games with numbers and management.

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert fit that bill. Carcassonne might scratch your 2 player itch as well but isn't really playable solo. Netrunner is also good.
>>
>>44764165
It's a beer-n-pretzels style game, and my group doesn't play it to death so we have fun when we do play. I've got a shiz-load of the zombie minis and it definitely inspires the players to run like hell for the nearest escape route.
>>
>>44764081
Thanks anon. Now i have thriller stuck in my head.
>>
>>44764165
seems like most people here dislike the game but I think its pretty fun.
then again, im still a board game noob so I havent really played much and have nothing to really compare the game to if theres something better.
>>
>>44764165
Its fun if you don't take it seriously. I also love how modular it all is, as the more you buy of it the more varied you can make the missions. If you like light hearted zombie smashing you'll like zombicide.
>>
Have you guys ever bought an expensive board game but never got the chance to play it?

I impulse bought Twilight Imperium but I got the feeling Im never going to get the chance to play this.
>>
File: 1450358280185.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450358280185.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>44764607
Bought SDE after playing it with the designer at Gencon in 2014, didn't get it to the table for 11 months, and I just started getting minis finished painting and into varnish last week.

>>44764081
Actually did something similar but used a Rescue Me marathon and Flash Point. There might also have been very large bottles of vodka and whiskey involved.
>>
>>44764607
The same way I feel about buying Twilight Struggle, though I think I might have a slight more of bringing it to the table vs Twilight Imperium since my issue is mostly player count.
>>
Kinda want to pick up Coup but not sure what version to get.
Should I just stick with regular coup or get Coup rebellion?
>>
>>44762664

Does Archery work in the same way? ... Asking for a friend.
>>
LGS has tons of half-price copies of Mythtopia- looked pretty cool, but wondering if there's something horrifically wrong with it that they have this much shit then need to offload?
>>
>>44764607
I backed more than I'm comfortable paying for a game for High Heavens, and I don't even get the chance to play 2-player games more than a couple times per year.
>>
Thread seems dead so stupid question to get things rolling.

What genres/categories do *you* distinguish in board games and what would you say are the best games in that genre.
>>
>>44764165

It's easy to teach, and does a fairly decent job playing like Left 4 Dead. I own Base, prison outbreak, toxic city mall, and the zombie dogs expansion, and Ive come to feel that you get the most out of the game with the variant zombies. Normally mobs can get mowed down and you just run from an abomination until you get something that can kill it, but when some zombies are immune to ranged attacks, or the dogs come out which run crazy fast, the situation certainly gets complicated.

Thing is, you could easily do variant zombies with just the bast game. I think you get like 30 regulars, 10 fatties, and 1 abomination. Just paint a fraction of those as an off color, like just base coat them green/red/whatever, write the rules off to the side for variants, and whenever you spawn zombies have some way of randomizing the type that appears.

The game allows for a ton of customization if you feel up for it. It's a bit expensive, but I've found that the average person enjoys it, and I'd rather go to the work of pulling it out than playing munchkin or ticket to suicide (other commonly enjoyed games)
>>
>>44761419
Archipelago. It's the most numbery, explorationy game I know of.
>>
>>44762697
>If they don't have a lefty they'll love me.
True facts. Southpaw master race.

>>44764607
If you're interested in getting rid of Twilight Imperium, I might be tempted to take it off your hands if the price is right, could use a second set of components.
For me that game is Star Trek Fleet Captains, I never get more than 2p games played.

>>44766701
Rebellion g54 is pretty much superior to any other version, though regular Coup with the Reformation expansion is a bit more elegant.

>>44767159
No idea, never actually been to an archery club. Might work if you're in an area where it won't just be 99% bow hunters.
>>
>>44770000

You mean my friend, right? *shits eyes*
>>
>>44770309
>shits eyes
I'm not sure what either of us mean anymore, but I don't like where it's going.
>>
>>44770402

Goddammit shifts SHIFTS
>>
File: 3605736-3045982312-paine.jpg (28 KB, 518x263) Image search: [Google]
3605736-3045982312-paine.jpg
28 KB, 518x263
>>44770309

>shits eye

So are you like, a pain elemental that spawns beholders?
>>
>>44761144
Caverna comes pretty close to that for me. Snowdonia came very close, but then I played it again and I figured out most of it enough to come second. Frankly, I have this attitude to most of the euros that people suggest we play, like Cornish Miner or some other cube-pusher
>>44764607
I've never had the chance to try out half the games in my collection, irrespective of cost. I really need to play 404: Law Not Found with somebody.
>>
>>44771391
>I really need to play 404: Law Not Found with somebody.

Yes, you do. It's hilarious! Nothing like being out in space doing what you meant to do inside because one of your fellow players bumped you (the evil git!). And then there's launching anything and everything at attacking alien spacecraft. :)
>>
File: IMG_1728.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1728.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>44769719
Thanks. I'm gonna look around for an inexpensive copy of it.

I found a copy of forbidden island for sale at the store today.
>>
>>44761144
The closest I've come to that would probably be Here I Stand, though I'd say it was a combination of complexity and sheer volume of rules (44 pages...) rather than only difficulty. Actually a better candidate might be Andean Abyss, played through the extended gameplay example, and then continued the game with some friends. All of a sudden the guy playing the Cartels won for some reason and we all kind of realized none of us had any clue as to what we'd been doing the past 7 or so hours. Good times. Still want to give both games another few tries so as of right now I suppose the more hardcore wargames would be too much for me.
>>
>>44728156

Have a group that I pretty consistently get together with for an evening on a weekly basis, so in the end about 4-5 hours a week.

Least favorite theme is lack of theme. I have a terribly hard time getting into abstracted games. My favorite theme has got to be co-operative A Touch of Evil. Favorite mechanic is the order stack from Forbidden Stars.

Probably picking up Forbidden Stars for 60 bucks on a sale this winter.

I have games that I love to play and almost never get to play that I may very well love more than this, but this is hands down the one game I've played the most and have yet to get tired of: Blood Bowl Team Manager.

Never specifically nights to get drunk during and play board games, but when the drinks are going around inevitably board games end up getting pulled out. Cards Against is a mainstay, lately I've seen One Night Ultimate Werewolf going around, but the king is actually a board game video game, Fortune Street. It's a Monopoly knock-off on the Wii with Dragon Quest and Super Mario Bros. characters, with the twist of a stock market (not balanced great, you can create an infinite loop of >acquire stocks in district you control >invest pocket money into improving shops in said district >stock value rises due to improvements and erases cost of investment >sell stocks for minimum value drop and repeat). Takes a while but it's a fun game for drunk people to shout at each other over, throwing around threats of forced buyouts on key properties, making gigantic danger zones for the other players to either avoid or barely slip past.
>>
>>44772250
Wow, and after reading the instructions this is basically pandemic with a modular board.

I really need to make my own game. It seems so easy.
>>
I made a separate thread before but was told that this thread is where you get help.

I'm going to play Twilight Imperium this weekend for the first time.
I expect that I will loose, but I am still interesting in some general advice for a newbie.
What are some good advice for a beginner.
What should I avoid?

They will use expansion and a whole bunch of extra rules, I could post them if you are interested.
>>
>>44772426
Same designer too.
>>
File: 1417533602496.jpg (28 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1417533602496.jpg
28 KB, 360x270
>>44772471
How many people are you guys playing with?
What optional rules, if any?

If you've got some pull with the group, encourage them to play with a galaxy less than seven systems in diameter, makes a huge difference in how many turns it takes you to actually start interacting with other players, and enormously improves the overall tension and speed of the game. Use star-by-star generation or a premade map to help avoid the immensly boring galactic-pie-syndrome.

As for personal strategy, the biggest noob mistake is to focus more on empire building than objective fulfillment. Try really, really hard to nail an objective every round.

Someone will probably cry that yssaril are OP and should be banned. Laugh at this person. They're strong, but their strengths can easily be played around by a table that pays attention.

Do you know what race you'll be playing, or do you have some that appeal to you that you're trying to choose between?
>>
>>44772672
Thank you for the advice. we will be 6, possible 8.

I don't know what race yet, any suggestion to an easy played race for a noob? Someone mentioned Yssaril, but I am afraid I'll get too much attention if I choose them.
some of the rules (since I am new I don't know what they all mean):
Age of empire
Leaders: all races gets 3 leaders
Imperial II strategy card
Race specific technology from both expansions
Artifacts
Shock troops
Facilities
Tactical retreats
Custodian of mecatol rex
Preliminary objectives before you get your secrets.
Flagships
Mechanized units
Mercenaries Trade III
Political II strategy card
>>
>>44772672

Fuck the Yssaril, those damn Naalu are more bullshit.

"Let's just ignore the hierarchy of Strategy cards. No one can ever get the jump on me, ever, I don't care what Strategy card you picked. Also my Fighters will eventually turn into slower Cruisers that I can either field en masse with Carriers or annoy the shit out of you by parking in random systems here and there. And remember how I said no one will ever get the jump on me, ever? Well in case you didn't believe me the first time I said it, throw away one of your Fleet Supply tokens right fucking now for daring to touch my systems, you filthy creature."
>>
>>44772875
>we will be 6, possible 8.
Oof. Not ideal, and virtually impossible to fit onto a smaller galaxy. This is going to be LONG. And that's fine, TI3 has a reputation for taking forever, it just doesn't have to.

That's an aggressive but reasonable assortment of optional rules to include, shouldn't be too bad.

As for races, the most commonly suggested noob race is the spess bugs, the Sardakk N'Orr, since their racial ability is extremely easy to remember, just a flat +1 to combat. This'll make your neighbors nervous. Politically, you can use that combat edge as leverage to help get yourself concessions of territory or other things that your ability doesn't directly help you with.

But if something more complicated sounds nice, take a look at the races yourself, they're almost all very flavorful and there's a good chance one or more might speak to you. None are so bad, competitively, that they're unplayable, especially if you're more interesting in learning than an absolute need to place first in your first game.

While you're focusing on objectives, pay attention to what ones your neighbors are in a decent position to go for on a given round, and decide early if there's something you can likely to do foil that plan. Every round that you keep an opponent from claiming an objective is a significant win.

>>44772983
You forgot the part where they then retreat from that fight for free without losing anything and come back en masse next turn. Yeah, Naalu are very taxing to play against. My best plan against them is to keep the number of fights I get in against them to a minimum, just enough to pressure their high-econ planets, while trying to keep the tech card out of their hands as much as possible, and ideally too poor to use the tech secondary too aggressively.
>>
If I was going to buy one dungeon crawling game, what should it be?
>>
File: P6200599.jpg (138 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
P6200599.jpg
138 KB, 640x480
>>44728390
Posted both of these before months ago.
Either $1 for Ticket to Ride + 1810 expansion, brand new. Or all of these in pic, either $3 or $5 each. I forget which. Some of them have never been used. Garage sales are the best.

Cards Against Humanity. Not for the game itself, but for getting everyone together in one game and having a good time for a few hours each week.

Every monday. A bunch of my friends just get together and play games. Often Cards Against Humanity. Sometimes Catan, Ticket to Ride, MtG, some videogames (smash bros or mario kart.), or whatever else we may have around. Not everyone gets drunk though. We all just hang out and have a good time together.
>>
>>44773052

>the Sardakk N'Orr, since their racial ability is extremely easy to remember, just a flat +1 to combat. This'll make your neighbors nervous.

PDS! Whenever I take the Sardakk N'Orr, I focus on the PDS tech.

Nothing more entertaining than a bunch of free 4+ shots when your neighbors are moving nearby.
>>
>>44773405
Also, I own Star Wars Imperial Assault, I was looking at getting Descent, but they seem too similar.
>>
File: C'Morran Norr.png (454 KB, 410x631) Image search: [Google]
C'Morran Norr.png
454 KB, 410x631
>>44773420
Absolutely.
Doubly true in the current shattered ascention version.
>>
>>44728156
Some kind of base building, diplomatic strategy game. Where you have to spend resources to build bases/stuff in your country and work with and against other players to achieve goals.

Cards could be drawn for diplomatic events such as assassinations, rebellions in certain countries and stuff and players could fund pro or against these. Maybe even some underhanded stuff.
>>
>>44728390
>Best deal
Don't own that many yet so I can't say, amazon has decent deals.
>Name you favorite board game with one sentence reasoning explaining why
Cosmic Encounter because my god the amount of deception and negotiation is insane. Every stays involved every turn and it has the biggest replay value I've even seen.
>Do you have drunken board game night from time to time?
WHY INDEED I DO. In college right now and we host drunken game nights as often as we have time for (usually every other week). We create drinking rules for just about every game and about 90% of guests drink with us (some can't drink for reasons) and have a great time. The favorites so far are Cosmic Encounter and Killer Bunnies.
>>
>>44773917
>Killer Bunnies
Man, fuck that game. It's almost worse than munchkin. The whole thing could be over after the first carrot pull for all you know, but you'll still play for another hour just to find out.
>>
File: Evolution.jpg (154 KB, 699x411) Image search: [Google]
Evolution.jpg
154 KB, 699x411
Question for /bgg/:
This game, have you played and how is it? All the reviews are excellent and it seems like I could match decent drinking rules too it (audience is other college age people).

I noticed it as the expansion is the second most anticipated game behind Evolve right now so I was thinking of picking it up, worth it?
>>
>>44773978
Would you rather someone just pull the winning carrot and end the game right there? That's the whole point of the game that makes it fun, you are essentially trying to acquire more lottery tickets than anyone else.

That's what makes the game fun, and makes the card by card reveal at the end more exciting, people love that shit.
>>
>>44773994
>Evolve
Terribly sorry, no idea what I was thinking, I meant Scythe
>Evolve
>>
>>44774029
It's good at creating tension, but it's terrible as a game mechanic. You can get much of the same tension without any of the wasted time or any change to game outcome by keeping the winning carrot revealed for the whole game, and ending when someone draws it.
>>
>>44774076
Well no, the craziest stuff comes out when there are only like 4 carrots left because even if people don't have that many carrots, they can do a last stand trying to nuke everyone else to snatch up other peoples stuff. There is early mid and late game stuff that is all very important.

Plus if it really bugs you that the game is taking too long you can always take out 4-8 of the carrots for a quicker game, nothing wrong with that.
>>
Is there any Love Letter rule 34? The Countess is really hot.
>>
>>44773532
STEEV. Rules I'm trying out to spice up TI3. Can you believe I get to play often enough that it feels formulaic to me?

-Like Kemet, winning a space battle now constitutes +VP. There are factors that go into it but we haven't worked out the details yet. So far, we know we want it to work like this:
If you, for example have a space battle where there's a War Sun, if you kill it, you get 2 VP. If you were to kill 2 (what the fuck) you would still only get 2VP. If you meet other kill-requirements you still only get 2VP. Essentially you only ever get as many VP as the best thing you meet the requirements for.
-Since you always get at least 1 VP for winning a space battle, leaving singular fucking Destroyers in empty space just to eat up command counters stops being a good strategy and becomes just feeding warlike nations VP. Since high mobility races already have the hugest edge in the entire game, there has to be a way for other race types to get VP. Combat should be one. And fuck those terrible Public Objectives that do it. They're not frequent enough and often require way too situational of setups for the warlike nation. In addition to telegraphing what they'll do.

Since high economy races can just buy their VP essentially and high mobility races are the undisputed kings of TI3, races like the Mentak, Sardak N'orr, Lentev etc need some sort of leg up. We'll test this more Kemet-like change and see what happens.

In addition to that, we're thinking that there needs to be two states for taking a home system. If you invade a homesystem, you get +1VP. Invasion follows normal rules. However, there should also be "occupation". Where their docks/PDS/Leaders don't die. As long as you have GFs, you can choose what you want it to be during the Status Phase (Occupy/Invade) and right when you land. This means you can temporarily annex player homeworlds and then bully them after to get more out of it. You can't get anything if their docks are dead and planets exhaustd
>>
>>44773408
>Cards Against Humanity

disregard anything this person says
>>
>>44773745
What if I made that, but it was nazy death camp themed.
>>
>>44774900
>Winning space battle for +VP
Maybe okay? On the small galaxies I mostly play you don't get much of the lone-destroyer-frontier-defense thing.
>+1VP for winning against a warsun
Do WarSuns really need this kind of a nerf in your meta? Guess I'll assume that's just an example and you're going to calculate this based off the resource or production value of the defeated fleet or something. So 1VP for winning a fight, 2vp for winning a fight against a fleet of at least 10 resources, 3vp for winning a fight against a 20 resource fleet, that kind of thing? I'd be sorely tempted to just make up three always-used special public objectives like that, make them each claimable a single time per player like the other objectives. Easier to track and less likely to result in snowballing, I think, since there's reduced/no benefit to continuing to hammer on a crippled foe.

>High mobility races are the undisputed kings
I'm still trying to decide if small galaxies fix or exacerbate this.

>occupation/invasion
I do like the idea of being better able to extort other players, might test this in upcoming games. As for the +1VP for invading, I think I prefer Shattered Ascention's handling, where not having control of all planets in your home system imposes a -3vp penalty on you until you get them back. (instead of preventing you from claiming objectives)
>>
>>44774900
To be honest I think +VP for space sounds like a bad idea. It will only further increase doomstacking with less battles. 2VP for a war suns would stop players from building them considering all the direct hit cards that will basically give you 2 VP.
What is the motivation to add more ways to gain VPs? If it is to nerf high mobility races then it would do the opposite as they get more potential targets to score cheap VPs.
>>
>>44775174
What about gaining a VP for every whole round (strategy to status) you control an enemy's home system?
And have you been able to play anymore shattered ascention? convinced my brother to try it out in a 2v2 in the near future.
>>
>>44775274
My worry with positive - and especially cumulative - VP rewards for occupying homesystems is that a player who pulls off a strong opening and crushes another player can turn that into a huge VP advantage. So far, I really think that hitting a home system should be more about hurting the target's gamestate than advancing your own - barring other objectives, of course.

Don't think I'm going to get another SA game in for a month or so, might try for president's day.
>>
>>44775174
That's not a nerf, it's an opportunity. Warsuns are very powerful and coming at them with enough battle points to destroy them is generally going to cost so much that you'd rather just avoid them. A warlike nation can get those battle points easier and may want to VP-hunt if they're behind. We'll know once it's tested.
>>
>>44775214
No one is nerfing anything. Stop using this word when I said nothing about it. We're TESTING a new idea to see if warlike nations can actually do anything. At this point I've played well over 200+ hours of TI3 and have this down to a virtual formula. Pretty much your entire ability to win comes down to your starting units, home planet and the first 3 Public objectives that get revealed along with your secret.

If you're a warlike race, your abilities rarely do more than give a minor boost to one *potential* VP-granting area of the game. If VP were more consistent in war, they might have a chance. To date, N'orr, Letnev, Mentak and others have never won a game. Not once ever. Only Sol, Hacan and other high mobilities have won. With the one exception of the Muuat who just bully everyone early, get all the production and essentially act as pseudo-mobility due to this (getting the mobility benefits without actually moving much). And yes, this is on a 2-ring system. More than that only exacerbates this game's problems.
>>
>>44775414
I would imagine anyone holding another's home system would become a big target and get the shit beaten out of him by several people until he can't hold the other player's home system. If we're talking about just doing it to hurt the other player then I think the current ruleset is fine. Not being able to score points hurts a lot, adding a -3 VP penalty doesnt really matter since you need your home system to score points and win anyway.
>What is your record of holding someone's homesystem?
3 turns as Winnu. I Somehow managed to banish L1z1x to Mecatol Rex.
>>
>>44775174
>High mobility races are the undisputed kings
>I'm still trying to decide if small galaxies fix or exacerbate this.
Paradoxically both. On 3 ring galaxies, high mobility races (especially the Yssaril who can head in two directions with 2-move carriers immediately) basically get free-reign. Not just them, it's an example. While everyone else (non-mobility) meander around the galaxy taking whatever scraps they can. On a 2-ring galaxy, it lets everyone be mobile but high mobility types still get an undisputed edge. So instead of it being "I get to do things while you take forever" it's now "We both do things each round but I do way more".

It has to be fixed.
>>
File: 1389490612021.jpg (6 KB, 251x260) Image search: [Google]
1389490612021.jpg
6 KB, 251x260
>tfw the most play I get with TI3 is sorting components and reading text
why live
>>
>>44775661
No, in Shattered Ascension you still get VP when your home is conquered. You just get -3 VP until you re-conquer it. So if you can afford the loss, it's no problem.

Also in Ascension, each race has race-specific VP goals (1, 2 and 3) but most of them are VERY difficult, some actually requiring two fucking core sets of TI3 to accomplish. Mostly, they're not worth trying for and if you get a race with easy race-VP, you pretty much just win.
>>
>>44775094
10/10
Interesting theme that goes well with the gameplay. I'd play it, but be even more limited in players than normal
>>
>>44775549
I don't know. Crawling that far down the red techs and the high production cost is enough that most races only very circumstantially approach warsuns, but maybe your meta is more willing to go after them than mine. Making them worth an extra VP to kill is a definite reduction to their appeal from the builder's perspective - and making it non-stacking means you REALLY want to pile them up if you do end up going for them. Muatt is going to look extra tasty if other races can get together something that can threaten it, though that's pretty unlikely.

>>44775661
SA replaced the cannot-score-while-home-system-contested with just the -3 penalty, so you still have the opportinity to do other productive things (and even win, though that's a pretty long shot) if your home system is hit, but it's still a huge priority to get it back.

I think a 1vp/round reward for holding a home system would likely result in neighbors fighting over the beaten player's homesystem for the remainder of the game, and I'm not sure that's a desirable outcome.

>>44775686
Agreed. And the big reason why I think SA yssaril are so much more interesting AND balanced than standard. Creuss get MAD fast, though.
>>
File: Tech Tree.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Tech Tree.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44772471
>I made a separate thread before but was told that this thread is where you get help.

Occasionally we do have an entire thread dedicated to TI3, but not often. STEEV already gave you some good advice for the setup. As for game play for new players - *concentrate on your objectives*. It's way WAY to easy to get distracted by tech advances or making military moves all over the galaxy, and end up losing to the sneaky administrative gits who completed all of their objectives.

And speaking of tech tree, there are some helpful files. Let me share a few.
>>
File: TI3 races and tech.png (92 KB, 1137x749) Image search: [Google]
TI3 races and tech.png
92 KB, 1137x749
>>44775876
And another useful chart...
>>
File: Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44775902
And a variant of the tech chart that might be easier to print out.
>>
>>44728156

I would want a bluff-based skirmish game set in a fantasy version of when the Spanish conquored South America. No idea how it'd work either.

An evening whenever possible. So average of 1/2 hour a week since recent events.

Theme: Up for anything from Stone Age to Cyberpunk, but heavy science sci-fi ain't my cup of tea.

Mechanic: I have a soft-spot for bluffing and social manipulation mechanics. No real mechanics I want 100% gone, but superbad RNG can ruin anything.
>>
>>44775992
Take a look at Melee, might get some ideas.
>>
>>44775992
>I would want a bluff-based skirmish game set in a fantasy version of when the Spanish conquored South America. No idea how it'd work either.
Players play cards face down to determine how many units they're sending to battle and announce their numbers (real or bluffing). You can call out another player's bluff, but if he was telling the truth, you lose a portion of your own allowance due to (thematically) misinformation or lack of preparedness. Or, for a more-than-2-player game, it might be easier to give the player a bonus if anyone else calls him out mistakenly, depending on how everything else works.

You could do something similar for armament as well as troops.
>>
>>44775902
Is there one for Shards of the Throne expansion as well?
>>
>>44761144
My group cruised through Robinson Crusoe, thought XCom was too easy, makes Crossifer our bitch, etc.

But we've never beaten Ghost Stories.
>>
>>44769589
>playing munchkin or ticket to suicide (other commonly enjoyed games)

Damnit man! I nearly shot beer out my nose while reading that. Are you trying to kill me or ruin my monitor? ;)

>>44772322
>picking up Forbidden Stars for 60 bucks on a sale
You glorious bastid! I do like that game.
>>
>>44776363
I'm not sure if this one has them all or not - take a look.
>>
>>44776368
Did you play XCOM on the hardest difficulty? It's pretty goddamn hard, so if you did I would welcome any advice.
>>
>>44772322

I just discovered how glorious and nuanced 1v1 Forbidden Stars can be, don't rob yourself of this experience by relegating it to your "3-4 players" category like I did.
>>
>>44776422

Well I was going to go with ticket to sudoku, but I wasn't sure if you guys are hip to such high brow humor
>>
>>44728156
>Board Game you wish for
That's a rough one. I think...Okay, this is gonna be a mess, but roll with me here.
Fantasy Version of Shadows over Camelot, with a deck-building system. Slightly more interesting mechanics in the various quests, and so on. Have different Heroes get different base cards.

So, somewhere between Mage Knight and Shadows.

>How much time.
Typically about 3-4 hours. My friends have started a "meet every sunday" group, but some weeks we have to skip it, so I don't play at all. The most was probably around 10 hours, because I taught a cast I was in how to play Love Letter while we were off-stage, so I could play during the 3 performances, on top of the 5 hours of board games.

>Favorite/Least Favorite Theme/Mechanic
Least Favorite Theme: Honestly, I gotta go with "normal". Like, "modern, normal life". I'd prefer my mechanics set in an aesthetically different world.
Least Favorite Mechanic:Games that require resources waste. The one that springs to mind is how you have to discard a battle card as you play one in Kemet. I dislike the idea of wasting resources on mandatory actions. I get the mechanical benefits it adds, but it rankles as a player when I can't do what I need to because events have changed from two battles ago.

Favorite Theme: I prefer Fantasy over more others, but only barely.

Favorite Mechanic: Honestly, my favorite mechanics are when they tie into the theme, or other established mechanics, in a way that is instantly recognizable and fitting. The best example that springs to mind is how Spiderman in Legendary Villains FEELS like how playing Spiderman in basic Legendary works. It's just clearly the same character.

>>44728390
>Best Deal.
Shrug. Board Games I've never really been impressed. I found a store selling Modern Masters 2 packs for $9 this past Thanksgiving. That's the best I have.

>Favorite Board Game
I don't know. Right now, I'm pretty stoked for Shadows, but that's mostly because I got it for Christmas.
>>
>>44776751

>Drunken Board Game nights
I actually just had one of these last night. Cast in my current show got together, played some mostly casual stuff, but one of the games we played hasn't been released yet, and it's a pretty neat little number. The guy who owned it messaged the creator that we were playing it, and he may come meet us soon and give us some promotional T-Shirts.

(for those interested, it's called BANE.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/177943/bane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1283899359/bane-tabletop-card-game/posts/1458291)

Back to general drinking board game nights: I've found that as long as you're dealing with people who know how to handle their drink, and when and what they can do, you're fine. The problem comes with the one guy who goes a little too far, and then just can't process turns fast enough, because he gets too distracted by every idle comment.

This is also the core of why I hate Cards against Humanity.
>>
>>44776584
Yes, but it was over a year ago now so I can't help you that much.
>>
>play BSG on TTS for first time
>set up, choose blind-jump chick
>very first turn, President (guy who can check loyalty cards) picks me
>I'm the cylon
>get brig'd by next player
>sit in brig the entire game
That was really anticlimactic and annoying. Just played terraria for most the time waiting
>>
>>44777025
Wow. That's pretty poor design even if it's unlikely to happen.
>>
>>44776994
Why would someone do this; just go on the Internet and tell lies?
>>
>>44777311
>Why would someone do this; just go on the Internet and tell lies?

God forbid someone play a game in the past.
>>
>>44777025
Dude what?

If you're the cylon and in the brig for more than two turns you need to reveal and start hopping around the cylon locations. Sure you won't get you super power off, but you NEED to get working on those cylon locations if you're not doing any sabotaging shipside.
>>
Given that Alan Rickman died yesterday, are there any decent Harry Potter board games? I remember trying out the TCG when it first came out, but my and my little brother soon realised it was a load of balls.
>>44773408
>tfw nobody in my area has a garage sale, and if they do it's all giant teddy bears and CDs from crappy bands I've never heard of
That said, I did manage to get a CD with a bunch of Bond themes on them, which was nice.
>>44774898
Possibly, but why bother? The art won't be as lovely as it is on the cards.
>>
If i can get all of the Zombicide season 1 kickstarter items for around 200-250, is that a good deal?
>>
>>44779043
Was that the Quidditch card game, or something else? You've just unblocked my memory of it. Don't remember if it was good or bad, just that my 12-year-old self enjoyed playing it
>>
File: harry-potter-tcg.jpg (327 KB, 740x1091) Image search: [Google]
harry-potter-tcg.jpg
327 KB, 740x1091
>>44779952
No, you're (probably) thinking of the Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone Quidditch Card Game; I'm thinking of the Harry Potter TCG, which was the perfect storm of complicated rules, rares that did fuck all (I remember getting really excited that I got Trevor, Neville's toad, as he was really rare... then I realised that it was a lot harder to win with Trevor in my deck) and art that was okay at best.
>>
>>44779043
Alan Rickman didn't star in any board games.
>>
>>44775876
>>44775902
>>44775931
Awesome! Thank you.

I know your advice is to concentrate on objects, but i really want to build a war sun :)
>>
>>44780485
True, but he was in the Harry Potter movies, which lead to a shitload of Harry Potter board games.
>>
File: Look at this fucking bullshit.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Look at this fucking bullshit.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Just to demonstrate how absurd the Harry Potter TCG was, here's what passed for a game mat back in 2001. As for the gameplay, just imagine the worst aspects of Magic/Pokemon thrown together with a very early draft of Marvel Dicemasters.
>>
>>44780627
I remember being impressed with the mystery at hogwarts game when I was young. Probably wouldn't be as enamored now, grown and tempered with hate for all things.

Honestly though, if I was to wish for something to star rickman, a Die Hard game could be a fantastic piece of ameritrash nonsense. Mix of hidden movement and tactical combat with one player running McClain against Hans Gruber & Co.
>>
>>44774898
Dunno about R34 , but there is at least one version with racy Disney character art.
>>
>>44777077
Yea. I was pretty miffed because it was my first ever go at being a cylon
>>44777865
Oh....I was told you couldn't leave the brig as a cylon
>>
>>44780803
Actually, that looks cool. I'd play it at least once.
>>
>>44780803
I actually really enjoyed HP TCG
>>
>>44780803
I fail to see how it's "absurd". I see a slot for land, a slot for creatures, and an avatar card. I know there were also spells and maybe quests of sorts, but this doesn't look as jarring as, say, netrunner might look to a new today if seeing a fully developed board for both corp and runner.

Now, this says nothing about the rules and what mess they might be (I have no idea). But apart from looking cluttered as fuck with useless boxes within boxes, the gamematt layout is hardly befuddling.
>>
>>44776640
I have only experienced it, twice, and both times it was head to head. Man, what a tight game. Fights depended on morale almost more than the dakka, you are always struggling on what to spend resources on, and predicting your opponents moves and shutting them down are not as easy as I thought they would be.

I'm glad a friend bought it, as I can't justify the expense, but damn I'd like to play it more often.
>>
>>44781356
If you are a cylon you can reveal during your turn as an action to activate your power. And while you are in the brig you can still take actions, just normally the only one available to you is the call a vote one.

If you are in the brig you can still reveal as a cylon, but you just don't get to activate your power.

I don't know if everyone just got the rules wrong or what, but it is never stated that the cylon cannot reveal in the brig and in fact the 'you are a cylon' card states conditions for revealing while you are in the brig.

Sorry you had a shitty experience with the game with those guys teaching you wrong. It's a great game though a bit long for me for what it is.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.