[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What /tg/ related novels are actually good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: taint.jpg (24 KB, 210x346) Image search: [Google]
taint.jpg
24 KB, 210x346
What /tg/ related novels are actually good?
>>
>>44725677
Define "/tg/ related". Technically, all fiction is.

If you're talking about tie-in novels? None.
>>
there were some Ravenloft novels I liked.

Scholar of Decay
I Strahd
Vampire of the Mists

of course, they're just cheap genre fiction but I enjoyed them well enough
>>
>>44725677
If you mean books that read like a fun campaign, most Jim Butcher, Brandon Sanderson, Simon R. Green, Peter Brent, Peter Grant, Terry Pratchett, Fred Saberhagen, Fritz Lieber, Kevin Hearne, Glen Cook, or F. Paul Wilson.

Those are all good authors. Personally I recommend you start with Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. series.
>>
>>44725685
>Define "/tg/ related". Technically, all fiction is.

nobody likes a smarmy pedant, anon
>>
>>44726314
>Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. series.

ma nigga

That series is criminally underrated
>>
>>44725677

Hey, I actually have this book! You know, it sort of weirded me out that Finn had sex with the heroine, because it seemed like she was about fifteen years old. Like, I always got the vaguely Young Adult Heroine vibe from her.

This is an interesting book, mostly because it doesn't really seem to be a 'standard' D&D adventure or anything. There's no real traveling, it all takes place in the same small kingdom. Overall, I don't think it was really that good.
>>
>>44727918
>You know, it sort of weirded me out that Finn had sex with the heroine, because it seemed like she was about fifteen years old

People had sex at that age back then just as they do now. I was just reading about a British naval officer of the 1700s who married his 16 year old niece at age 54. And they were married for 18 years until his death.
>>
>>44725677
I think being a big reader is a way bigger help to be a good GM than having some kind of aspiring author thing in the back of your head.

These are some of the books that have helped me pull stuff out of my ass for years, no matter what the players get up to.

The Sharpe novels. Set during the napoleonic wars, total "army adventure" feel to them with enemies to best and things to accomplish behind the scenes with real battles and campaigns as the backdrop. There's like 20 of them or something, I have stolen shamelessly from this for my fantasy campaigns.

The William Gold series
The Ill Made Knight
The Long Sword
Exciting historical fiction and the most authentic and entertaining depiction of knightly combat and mercenary life during the 14th century that I've had the pleasure of reading.

To me, reading historical fiction is way better inspiration than reading fantasy. The character motivations are more believable, the settings make more sense and there's a greater sense of context, rather than authorial navel-gazing at what makes book X stand out from the other fantasy books, which might not fit into your campaign at all.

Also, it's great to read combat scenes that aren't stupid as shit with supersekrit techniques.
>>
>>44727918
>Didn't seem to be standard D&D.
>Ewww young people had sex.
>Did not like.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that you were born on the side of the pond with more mobility scooters.
>>
>>44728055
You mean Britain?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.