[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carcosa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: carcosa.jpg (134 KB, 1125x1500) Image search: [Google]
carcosa.jpg
134 KB, 1125x1500
Thinking of getting this book. Does anyone here have experiance using it? is it worth the price tag? 40ish dollars
>>
>>44724477
Never heard of it, but why no crop?
Care to explain where you found it, what the tone is, and how it spins the lore?

Honestly, start with Chambers. The King in Yellow is a short collection, and you have to know the origin.

If you are looking for a quality modern Carcosa, check out Impossible Landscapes when it drops in August (we hope!)

I assume you've seen True Detective s1? It's very low key, but it uses some symbolism and references.
>>
File: BLEACH.jpg (67 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
BLEACH.jpg
67 KB, 1080x608
>>44724477
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/halloween-jack/carcosa/

Don't do it. Just don't. 40 dollars will buy you at least two pizzas, depending on how fat you are.
>>
>>44725744
>http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/halloween-jack/carcosa/
This reads like Virtual Optim getting butthurt.
>>
>>44725744
Okay, I gave up on it by chapter 3. Sounds way too retarded to be fun.
>>
>>44724477
its kinda edgy

I think the OSR general has a PDF of it
>>
>>44724477
I like it.
>>
>>44724477
It's alright, good for what it does. Read a copy on the OSR thread and buy it if you like it.
>>
>>44724477
It's a bit of crap that makes you pay for the HC edition. Content is worthless. Grab the PDF if you want but don't waste 40 bucks.
>>
>>44724477
It's utter shit. Buy $40 worth of toilet paper instead.
>>
>>44725744
The premise at least sounds interesting, but the execution sounds terribly mediocre.

That said, I actually agree with Raggi's defense of it in principle. There's no point in getting outraged that a game has some gruesome subject matter, it's just trying to evoke a certain feel, where sorcerers are genuinely evil motherfuckers.
>>
>>44725744
>>44725843
That's because it's some shithead goon with a hateboner for James Raggi and the OSR in general.
>>
>>44724477
Pros:
>The setting is highly evocative
>The art is great and production values very high

Cons:
>A lot of the book is taken up by repetitive lists of hex contents and rituals.
>The mechanical aspects are dated and dodgy.

Call it a flawed gem. I've attached a fan supplement for it that might give you an idea of the kind of setting it is.

>>44725744
Halloween Jack is an idiot who spends way too much time sperging about things he hates.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.