[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the long term consequences of magical warfare?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 554x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 554x367
What are the long term consequences of magical warfare?
>>
I really hope that's fake.
>>
>>44718382
Don't worry, there's no such thing as magical warfare
>>
>>44718382
/pol/ stays on /pol/ http://raniakhalek.com/2013/03/20/u-s-turns-a-blind-eye-to-iraqi-birth-defects-worse-than-hiroshima/
>>
>>44718322
A strengthened magico-military-industrial complex that predicates the economic function of it's host empires on prolonged intractable conflicts against distant nations of monstrous humanoids and aberrations who themselves are frequently a result of prior clandestine activity by the very same wizardly groups who make up the core of the magico-military-industrial complex today.
>>
>>44718457
>>44718382
>use 4chan magic to mysteriously gain the ability to reverse-image-search Google OP's picture
>image appears on countless fringe/kook "news" sites
>doesn't appear on a single legitimate news site
>Al-Jazeera's site uses the weasel words "similar to this" and "as severe as this" without actually stating that the kid in OP's picture is in Iraq
>>
As the participants get nearer and nearer to apothesis, they gradually lose their freewill and effectively become the pursuit of victory and can't NOT do anything that will aid them in that victory no matter how bad an idea it otherwise is. "I'm fighting the red moon. Genghis Hitler fought the red moon. Time to bring break Genghis Hitler our of his personal hell constructed because nothing else could hold him!"
>>
>>44718322
Depends on a shit load of factors .

Generally you could assume formations of magic using military structures and developments of tactics and tools to counter the enemy's magic.

The rest depends heavily on the magic system of the setting.
>>
In the setting I'm playing in, it creates horrible ooze like creatures that cast spells, which is fun
>>
>>44718322
Depends on the setting, I'd personally say that if it's something like "The ten-year Arcanist's Civil War" and magic is being flung left and right in a certain area for a long time, maybe either some kind of strain on the magical fabric of casting begins to happen, or a concentration of magical force that increases the efficiency of spells, but also leaves the rest of the world with slightly less efficient magic, sort of like a tidal pull.
>>
>>44718322
Well in my setting, an entire continent the size of Australia was subject to unrestrained magical warfare. Magical WMDs were unleashed, and the result is a twisted landscape full of highly dangerous magical fallout. Native animals become mutated with excess magic, polymorph storms wracking the landscape, rogue floating enchanted metal roaming the wastes, bound shadows of necromantic armies still prowl long after their physical form and master ceased to exist. Probably filled with anomalous magical foci that disrupt the leyline that resemble STALKER anomalies as well.
>>
I liked Pratchett's Sourcery take on it, where magical warfare is analogous to nuclear war, which blights landscape and makes it dangerous or uninhabitable. He kinda dropped it in later books, but I guess the 80's nuclear fear tinged his works then it became no longer so horrifyingly relevant.
Also it makes intelligent rats.
>>
>>44718322
If magic is a select few kind of thing then most candidates would be selected at birth or young age creating severe long term class issues that would lead to prejudice among the magically in tune and those without.
>>
>>44718322
Id like to imagine something like the Bartimaeus trilogy.
Long term exposure leads to an increasing amount of the populous developing natural antimagic fields
>>
>>44718322

There was a Larry Niven short story series where mana was like oil. It took a long long time to generate naturally, and magical warfare just burned through it like nobody's business. So the long term consequence was that magic (and all magical creatures) died off.

Another thought could be that large scale magic warfare does for magic what large scale warfare did for almost everything you need to fight large scale warfare. Created a huge push to standardize and mass produce it, so at the end you have huge numbers of former soldiers who know basic magic spells, and you get this new evolution of magic as the old guilds are broken.
>>
>>44719997
>polymorph storms
>>>shudder
>>
>>44718322
In a very loosely Abrahamic based setting I'm running, magic is channeled by opening a tiny (invisible to the naked eye) portal to heaven / hell to conjure a spell (unbeknownst to the caster). The longer magic based wars went on, the larger the portals got, until they were large enough and lasted long enough for creatures to slip through. Longer this goes on the larger the portals get and the longer they last, more creatures get through, armageddon battle between angels and demons humans struggling to survive etc
>>
File: 1303533373558.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1303533373558.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>44718322
The universe has been reset so many times the gods have stopped trying to make sure things make sense.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1600x704) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1600x704
If everyone keeps tugging at the strings of reality, it'll eventually start to unravel
>>
>>44718382

The stomach being external probably isn't (fairly common ectopic stomach), the extra limbs don't make much sense unless there was like five equally fertilised fetuses that the main baby kinda absorbed like tetsuo.
>>
>>44720310
And magesight? that was pretty important as well. But yea magical resistance/antimagic development in the population makes is a good way to go with it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbYEJAIsq-U

Magical Cold War

Nations become terrified of outright warfare, but they're more terrified of losing.
>>
>>44718322
wasn't there a whole setting with this principal?
>>
>>44718322

People start hating mages, and being hunting them down and killing.
>>
>>44720361
Yeah, that's why everyone that still lives or otherwise visits must have strong wards and charms against polymorphing. Just imagine. One second you're a Tharsian human, then you turn into an insect, then halfway through you start sprouting tentacles, then you become a slime, then a fish, then a dragon, shifting shapes as long as the storm hangs around. Then, when the storm clears, there's just so many polymorph spells stuck on you that barring a high-strength or repeated Dispel Magic you won't be able to return to what you were. Many unprepared ones who were caught in one chose to die, as the polymorph spells take their toll on the person's mental fortitude.
So always, always check that you have your wards and amulets set up, if you want to brave the blighted wasteland that is Ascia.
>>
>>44722327
Not everyone got Magesight iirc, it was kinda random how much of each you got

Really great setting incidentally. I ran a campaign that cribbed a lot off of it once.
>>
>>44720345
Toxic Spell Dump?
>>
>>44718322
Play Quelong for LotFP.
Its basically fantasy Vietnam/Cambodia with added magical plutonium radiation and a war between two trancendant wizards.
Its pretty awesome. The /osr/ trove has a copy under LotFP
>>
>>44718322
Everybody hates wizards.
>>
>>44720036
In later books there was mention of a big crater known as the Loko Vally in Uberwald where weird shit was.

Ye olde wizards built a magical nuclear reactor there and then bad shit happened.
>>
>>44718322
Muatations, aberations, rifts through which eldritch horrors and demons enter the world...

On the positive side most people are sorcerors now.
>>
>>44727007
Didn't one of them come down (or in several directions analogous to down) with Planets?
>>
I and a few other chucklefucks have been trying to build a setting that has ecological themes to it.
In this case, magic = cocaine + oil and once caused the entire world to get all nuked to shit. Now there's huge swathes of desert full of radioactive dust and weird dust beasts that keep expanding kind of like the Sahara, destroying more and more habitable land.
Plus the post-apoc races have once again discovered cocaine magic and its spurring on a nuclear tech revolution they might not recover from.
Issue is no one can decide what kind of magic theme they want so half want oil magic and half want to copy Tolkien / Avatar so the whole dealio is going nowhere fast.
Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>44727679
The Bursar.

It was what eventually pushed into retirement.
>>
>>44718322
We get a crappy anime with the same title.
>>
league of legends
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.