[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sometime in the future, humanity goes through another Ice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1420578248042.jpg (136 KB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
1420578248042.jpg
136 KB, 800x1132
>sometime in the future, humanity goes through another Ice Age as the climate changes
>once humans develop space-travel, they become known for their cold-resistant ships and technology, even carving ships out of ice to travel in
>>
Isn't space also pretty hot in places, at least if you get close to a star? Melting ships.
>>
File: 1445048078447.png (81 KB, 525x420) Image search: [Google]
1445048078447.png
81 KB, 525x420
>>44714305
>what are pressure vessels and why can't we make them out of ice
>my ice ship just turned into a slush ship SHIFUCK
>holy shit these humans have SPACE HEATERS!
>literally every space ship is cold resistant
>>
File: avatar of tsathoggua.jpg (58 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
58 KB, 630x630
>even carving ships out of ice to travel in
Full retard
>>
>>44714305
>Cold-resistant ships

Did you hear about them Humans? I hear their spaceships are designed to function in space!
>>
>>44714346
Might work of it's ice and rock near the edge of a solar system.

Instead of using earth ice, you could use ice and metal from the Kuiper belt. There are some pretty large chunks there - if you wanted to make what was basically an Ork Rok to fly through space in, it would save resources.
>>
>>44714377
I remember ships in Reynalds' "Revelation Space" series having a covering layer of ice for whatever reason.

Eh, whatever. It's not even that good of a scifi.
>>
>>44714459
To protect the ship under it from random interstellar particles and dust, which would otherwise hurt the ship going at 0.99c. Also to smooth it so it's aerodynamic and goes through gas clouds easier or something.
>>
>>44714712
.I remember space only approaching vacuum when you are mostly stationary, but didn't ships there already were 40k-HUEG and massive with some REALLY FUCKING THICK hulls of hyperdimond?
>>
>>44714854
Ice's probably cheaper than fixing a hull.
>>
>>44714910
Ultranaut ships have nanomagic to the the point of creating sections with functional ecospheres in them on the fly. Fuck me if they have any troubles with repairs. The only reason why Nostalgia for Infinity appears to be in disrepair and disarray is because all that broken shit is not needed anyway, and Volyova prefers these atmosphere-rich decorations to a vast emptiness and containing only the elevator and 3,5 sections that she actually uses.
>>
>>44714305

I'm sorry friend, but your idea is fucking stupid. Unless you go full fantasy and ice literally has magical properties.
>>
>>44714422
Technically space isn't all that cold because there's no matter for you to lose heat to via conduction.

Really, it's far more important to make sure your spaceship is resistant to heat because shit gets really hot during both takeoff and reentry.

Ice ships are a really bad idea.
>>
>>44714305

Ice ships pop up in many sci fi settings. It's a decent structural material that can also be used as a propellant.

Otherwise, congratulations, you've reinvented the chiss. From the Star wars EU.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.