[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual tabletops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 22b9a.jpg (261 KB, 755x808) Image search: [Google]
22b9a.jpg
261 KB, 755x808
What alternatives exist to roll20 and Fantasy Grounds?
Fantasy grounds costs a ridiculous amount of money and isn't worth it in my honest opinion.
I'm not going to shit on roll20 because it is actually fine if you just want a grid to battle on and a chatroom to roll dice in.
That's not quite enough for some, however.
I personally want to be able to share images like portraits and maps within the program as well as have a pool of custom tokens to use.
Also sharing text logs and stuff like that would be great.

What else exists? What do you personally use?
>>
You're not going to get premium features for free. Either you're going to need to pay money, make do with limited options or go for things which require more work and investment from you, like Maptools. Maptools can do a lot, but there's very little built in support for it, so it takes a lot more effort to get it all together.
>>
>>44713127
Discord with a dicebot.
Telegram with a dicebot.
>>
>>44713127
If you're doing Iron Kingdoms or Warmahordes, Vassal has a very good simulator.
>>
>>44713127
Reminder that you can use Fantasy Grounds for a full group for like $10 a month, the same as a Roll20 pro. If everyone chips in that's like $2 a month each, which is peanuts if you try the software out and like it.

I personally stick with Roll20's free shit because I'm a cheap bastard, though.
>>
Maptool is okay once you get past the connectivity issues.
>>
>>44713127
Tabletop Simulator is a neat alternative if you can deal with the quirks of having a physics system and limited space. It can be used very well although I personally favor roll20 over tabletop simulator.

It allows both 2D and 3D tokens to be used, as well as simple animations for 3D RPG tokens and has a nice array of free and workshop available tokens as well.
>>
>>44713127
RPU from Byond
Means you have to download Byond though
>>
>>44714175

If you don't mind, will you please link these programs and give a basic explanation of how they work?
Thank you.
>>
>>44714206
They don't really have a good grid but you can basically link images in the program and they'll show up in the program's browser. I've used it for freeform RPs and that's what it is good for, imo.
>>
>>44713127
>I personally want to be able to share images like portraits and maps within the program as well as have a pool of custom tokens to use.
>Also sharing text logs and stuff like that would be great.
You can do all that in roll20. Character sheets allow you to upload portraits to them, and the regular handouts allow you to upload an image to them that can be expanded to full size.

Not sure what you're asking about maps.

Custom tokens are easy, just use other software to create them and then upload them for use on roll20. Token Tool works really well for this: http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/

roll20 keeps all the text logs stored for you.

I get why people don't like roll20 due to preferences, but it seems to me like it has everything you want already. What exactly is it that you're looking for?
>>
>>44717251
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>44713127
>I personally want to be able to share images like portraits and maps within the program as well as have a pool of custom tokens to use.
Also sharing text logs and stuff like that would be great.
Roll20 has all of those things you just mentioned
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.