[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Expeditions MTG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: Scalding expedition.jpg (52 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Scalding expedition.jpg
52 KB, 312x445
I want to get fetchlands but I know the Zendikar ones are unlikely to hold value once reprinted (if they do). Would it be smarter to get expeditions if I am concerned about my card holding value? Btw I wouldn't be buying either of these I have a ridiculous excess of points on pucatrade.
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 750x1334
I'm interested as well. Found pic in a card pack a little by ago and I'm concerned if it will hold value for any length of time.
>>
So the reason why the expeditions are worth so much has little to do with their reprint chances.

It's because they're played in Eternal formats in tier 1 decks while being difficult to obtain. Polluted Delta was reprinted last year and it is one of the most expensive expeditions because it is heavily played.
>>
>>44713015
They're fetchlands. They are fucking eternal. Get the cheapest ones you can get and a set of all of them and you never have to worry about one major factor of a lot of older formats.
>>
>>44713015
>>44713035
Its a gamble no matter what. They might go up in in price, or they might stagnate. Owner of one of my LCS' suggested to me when I had a polluted delta expedition to hold onto it until bfz rotates out of standard possibly betting on the chance people will stop buying/opening. I still got rid of mine via a friend who is a collector
>>
>>44713282
I really have to get sets of those before they leave standard and spike up.
>>
>>44713347
If anything they'll drop. Since they're currently in standard.
>>
>>44713432
But honestly pretty much no standard player is going out of their way to get the expedition fetchlands. Them not being in standard would mean they were printed further in the past and would mean they are harder to find causing them to rise in price.
>>
Once they stop being opened and Zendikar becomes an old set they'll go up. People with deep pockets want them for eternal formats and supply is quite limited. In five years you'll struggle to find Fetch-Expeditions for trade whatever the price.

Frankly I find the current price dubious. Do people actually pay $200+ cash for some of these? I think places like SCG stuck a number on and everyone flocks to charge the same. As long as everyone charges the same amount the price can be anything they like, so free will actually sell. Most people I see are trading one Expedition for another.
>>
>>44713432
Yes. While they're in standard, they will be cheap. A few months after that they'll spike drastically in price. I'm certainly not going to get lucky with expeditions.
>>
File: 1446481237804.jpg (59 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1446481237804.jpg
59 KB, 600x900
>>44713015
>Peasant attitude

Fetchlands are eternal and are likely to hold value across the life of the game. Buy them so you can play them. Then, when they crash via a reprint buy a fuck tonne more and hold.

Y'all are thinking too small.
>>
>>44715969
Yeah but will expeditions crash with a reprint? I don't want to buy something that is going to crash.
>>
>>44716012

Personally, I'd buy OG fetches so when you come to the point of resale you have the broadest possible appeal. Expeditions, no matter which way they go, should end up harder to shift. THey /should/ hold value even short term against the crash that comes with hypothetical standard reprints.

But, uhh, if you're super keen on gaudy valuables you'll never onsell go for expeditions I guess? If it's the bragging rights you want, then it's probably safe.
>>
>>44716199
Would they really be that hard to shift. Just post it on ebay or tcgplayer and it should sell. If not there are tons of people on pucatrade right now that want both versions of fetches.
>>
>>44716343
They are vanity items. People who want to play modern simply get the normal version of the card for just 10% of the cost. So there are way less people interested in buying expeditions than are playing modern. Especially when we're talking about playsets, where the markup for expeditions could get you another cheap deck.
>>
>>44713504
>Do people actually pay $200+ cash for some of these?
No, because there's not that much of a market for them. For one Expedition you can often buy a set of the regular version, so that really leaves the type of player with more money than they know what to do with and EDH players who want to foil exactly ONE copy of the card. Neither of those are what you'd call large markets.

Expeditions are free money. Open one at a random draft and sell it for what you can get for it, and be thankful you got that much value out of a lousy set.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Not OP, but in the subject of Expeditions...

I drafted this beauty from a booster just the other day. As of now it's 82.22$ On the net, but I was wondering if and how will the prize fluctuate.

I was expecting it to go up some when BfZ went outta print, but I really don't know the first thing about how card pricings go seeing how I've just started getting seriously into MtG.

Please, help me cash in some dough so that I have money tp spend on more cards.
>>
>>44713015
>Would it be smarter to get expeditions if I am concerned about my card holding value?
It would be smarter to learn day-trading.
>>
>>44720062
It'll only go up
>>
>>44713504
Yes they do, i cracked and sold two expedition lands. People usually cave in when they see it's a mint one without those fucked up border.
>>
>>44717787
You mean anyone playing a eternal format? You know we're talking about magic right?
>>
>>44717787
>nobody buys them
>but if you open one, it's free cash!

Something here went wrong.

Also, I'm currently in the process of getting expeditions for my decks.
I managed to buy a Scalding Tarn expedition for $180, and I got a wooded foothills in a trade.

Still missing all the other expeditions in RUG colors.
>>
>>44713504
>I think places like SCG stuck a number on and everyone flocks to charge the same.
Despite being one of the more expensive venues, SCG is somehow considered the standard. They can single-handedly dictate prices.
>>
>>44723382
I'm amazed at how straight out dumb the serious magic players in my area are (Those try to compete in competetive REL tournaments.)

If they get two similar offers, they will buy from the more expensive one.

They genuinely recommend SCG / Cardkingdom / Channelfireball to everyone and use it themselves, when we are in Europe and European retailers are roughly 20% cheaper AND have a shorter delivery time due to distance. Not only that, but we aren't subject to the stupid as fuck price spikes and speculation like the US stores constantly do.

I just can't understand the thought process behind purposefully buying the exact same product from a more expensive and less practical source. They sometimes claim it is more "reliable", but that's complete bullshit. ALL major retailers have a near 100% delivery rate.

Fuck, the dollar exchange rate is the worst it has been in over 20 fucking years. It's like 50% higher than a few years ago, and they still insist on buying there!
>>
File: 346354634.jpg (10 KB, 200x251) Image search: [Google]
346354634.jpg
10 KB, 200x251
>>44713015
>pimping Golgari EDH collection
>expeditions get released
>buy them because why not
>mfw when i see how ugly they are IRL
>mfw when almost as bad as ftv foils

Thankfully I already made a profit if I were to sell them.
>>
>tfw I got Arid Mesa and Marsh Flats in trades for not more than 40 bucks combined

I even showed them how much the cards were worth but they still wouldn't want to take more cards for them.
>>
>>44725558
>Expeditions
>Ugly
Shit taste tbqh.
>>
>>44725558
It's a card you see for maybe one turn and then it goes into your graveyard, who the hell cares what it looks like? If Lightning Bolt looked like shit do you think no one one play it as well?
>>
>>44713015
The value of format staples will only go up until WotC changes their reprint policy.
In other words you have absolutely nothing to fear, worst case scenario you will break even when you sell it.
>>
>>44725951
I had a guy do something like that but for a Linvala, Keeper of Sience when she was like $20

Only thing the dude wanted was a $3 card for his standard deck. Refused to not trade me the card I needed, even after I showed him the price difference and offered other cards.

Some people are just nice
>>
File: 1423748013992.jpg (34 KB, 489x488) Image search: [Google]
1423748013992.jpg
34 KB, 489x488
>People worry about expeditions being reprinted
There's so much wrong with this idk where to begin. Expeditions won't be reprinted.
>>
>>44726153
To each their own. I just dislike the glossy, dark look.

>>44727268
I bought more expensive, more exclusive versions of a card. Ofcourse I care what it looks like.

Ps. Fetches in only one turn? Anon clearly never played EDH.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.