[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beastary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 00032711.jpg (280 KB, 715x519) Image search: [Google]
00032711.jpg
280 KB, 715x519
I've been thinking about writing an RPG book for the fantasy world I'm storytelling in, but I'm shite at drawing creatures. I've paid about 10$ each for simple character art portraits before, but what would a somewhat detailed black and white sketch of an animal cost me you think?
>>
>>44709542
Really depends on the artist but if that's what they've asked before that's what I'd count on.

The bigger problem is probably quantity. Ain't much of a bestiary with only one beast in it.
>>
>>44709542
/ic/ would probably be more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than most people here. but at the same time /ic/ is full of assholes so maybe you'll get nothing.
I'm confident however that it will cost much more than you expect if you want any kind of quality.
I'd recommend you don't start looking into the illustrations until you've done a fair bit of the ground work on your bestiary first.
>>
>>44709542
I would more or less finish your beasts and then commission in bulk instead of paying per portrait. Unless you want to go for multiple artists which might be cool variety.

Try something like fiverr maybe
>>
>>44709542
Another factor is that "somewhat" is quite vague. Do you mean simply a sketch or it is a fully drawn image, with lightning and all that?

Also, the amount of details can seriously increase the cost, like asking him to add this and that until you're satisfied.

Deadlines are important.

If your commission ref. document is badly done and you have to correct or specify lots of stuff later, the artist may charge more.

Have a very solid visual idea of the creatures before anything, changing your mind results in extra hours for the artist.

I don't know how prevalent this is, but the artist I'm currently hiring charges the same for color and black&white.

Finally, artists have varying levels of business skills, which may work into your favor.
>>
>>44710996
One more thing: the forums on deviantart would be a much more appropriate place to ask about this.
>>
>>44709542
The key thing is to write out contracts ahead of time so the artists can't Sue you for using their art (which you bought) in a commercial sense. Make sure you credit every artist correctly somewhere in the supplement. Strive for consistency or at least a similar style among all artists. Describe the monster very thoroughly before letting the artist create.
>>
>>44709542
If it's a book just use stock photos
A publisher usually covers these types of things, getting professional artists to draw the shit for you
>>
>>44709542
You don't need illustrations. Words, use them.
>>
OP here, I don't have time to write any in depth replies but thanks a lot for your info and suggestions!
>>
>>44711733
Illustration sells.

It's obvious that OP is looking to do this professionally. Also, I might be interested in doing some art commissions depending on conditions.
>>
Write the book, read it again, write down which parts need illustration, half that number, get an artist.
In that order, and no other.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.