[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k RPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 40k rpg.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
40k rpg.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

Enemies Without:
https://my.mixtape.moe/jbsyqt.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.

Have you ever gotten a non-Black Crusade character to 100 insanity and/or corruption? What was the final thing that pushed them to it?
>>
File: 273 KB.jpg (3 KB, 92x125) Image search: [Google]
273 KB.jpg
3 KB, 92x125
Anon, I need status report from your last session, on the double!
>>
File: WEEGEE.jpg (140 KB, 484x700) Image search: [Google]
WEEGEE.jpg
140 KB, 484x700
I threw some bolas at a xeno then put it in a box.
>>
>>44707430
Why can't FFG understand scale? The planet Damaris in the Frozen Reaches adventure has a population of 3 billion people yet has a military with only around 300,000 active combat troops in it. It should be 2 magnitudes larger than that.
>>
Ok, so I made a really fat NPC during the last Dark Heresy session I was hosting. But when making his stats I was thinking that I could add the size [x] trait for him. But I do not know what size to give him.

And if you want a size comparison, just look at Pearl from Blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4CDyCaeIA
>>
I've never played Dark Heresy but I'd really like to, I'll probably end up GMing it as I've been dubbed the Forever DM of our D&D.
Just wondering what the average/ideal group size for it would be?
Usually for D&D I aim to have between 3-6 before I'll start a game but I get the feeling that with DH the group size would be a bit larger?
>>
>>44708225
No, out shouldn't. Also is this an opportunity to get someone else to try dming
>>
I'm a player in the Soul Reaver campaign and I don't know how to deal with the tower the ship is stowed in.

My Rogue Trader is planning on killing the vast majority of the hardliners opposing the former archon of the city by blowing up the fighting pits, killing tens of thousands in the process. Igniting a slave revolt, and using an anti-titan artillery canon to soften up the tower's defenses before boarding it.

This plan requires brute force but I don't exactly know how I'm supposed to tackle the tower itself. Even if I shoot the shit out of it with the giant artillery canon I put on the ground it'll still be insanely dangerous and suicidal to ride up there in some sort of flying craft.

What should I do?
>>
>>44709093
What kind of anti-titan weapon is it?
>>
>>44709136
uhhh

It's this gun from only war that does some crazy shit like 15d10+20 damage or whatever, It's meant to kill gargants and titans and shit like that. Fires artillery shells the size of modern day tanks.
>>
>>44707845
Standing militaries are dictated by the governor, not real life comparisons.
If the governor doesn't need a large military on call, then it won't be large.
>>44708225
DH can be comfortably run for 1-5 players. More than that, and it starts to seriously bog down.
Also, have someone else take the reins.
>>
>>44709093
Hire someone.
>>
File: 1442024690443.jpg (239 KB, 500x713) Image search: [Google]
1442024690443.jpg
239 KB, 500x713
>>44709186
To do what precisely?
>>
>>44707845
>Why can't FFG understand scale? The planet Damaris in the Frozen Reaches adventure has a population of 3 billion people yet has a military with only around 300,000 active combat troops in it. It should be 2 magnitudes larger than that.
Why would they? It's a single government, technology is a force multiplier, and they also have police forces for civil stuff.
>>
>>44709154
You mean the Volcano Cannon? That's an enormous laser weapon, not a form of Tremor and/or Macro cannon you seem to be thinking off.

Do you have any information about the specific defenses of the tower? And how much ammunition do you have available?
>>
>>44707845
Does that include their tithe to the Imperial Guard or is that just their standing PDF?
>>
>>44709234
The tower has anti ship defenses when you get too close to it. It has anti-aircraft defenses if you want to board it. IT also has thousands dark eldar guardsmen defending the tower so my safest bet is to find my way to the top of the tower fighting as little as possible.

I have enough ammunition for maybe a day or two of constant volleys, but at that point the Dark Eldar would've engulfed the artillery's position and taken it out. That's why this has to be a quick operation as far as I'm concerned.

My plan is to basically blitzkrieg the city and take it completely off guard as quickly as possible. Problem is it's suicidal and I don't know how I can handle it any other way since I'm not good with subtly.
>>
>>44709182
>>44709232
Damaris is situated in an unsettled and extremely dangerous area of space with a myriad of nearby foes including a ork empire, chaos pirate empire + multiple independent fleets, multiple eldar corsair bands + dark eldar, and of course the rak'gol who are fucking terrifying. In any sane universe they'd have at least 1% of their population as professional soldiers with up to 20% as possible emergency reserves. With a population of 3 billion people, that's a lot of soldiers.

I think the better question is how does Damaris only have a population of 3 billion people? If it was founded a 1000 years before the games scenario, it should have reached the maximum population cap of it's planet. Of course, 3 billion could be the max if Damaris isn't especially productive compared to Earth.

>>44709582
Only PDF. The world isn't officially part of the Imperium.
>>
>>44709708
What shape does the tower have? Because if you can use the volcano cannon to blast a hole in the towers defenses and fields of fire you can use that as your entry point.
>>
>>44709857
Ye I'm thinking of just doing that.
>>
>>44709933
With what you've told me, it's what I would've done.
>>
>>44709815
You realize that as of 2014, in our world, including reserves and paramilitary organizations, only 8/10 of a percent of humanity is under arms, right?

Militaries are a massive drain on everything when they're necessary. When they're not needed, they're even worse of a drain. You generally don't want to leave them lying around with nothing to do. They can be good at finding things to do.
>>
File: you've got a friend in me.jpg (106 KB, 500x607) Image search: [Google]
you've got a friend in me.jpg
106 KB, 500x607
Repostan from the gamefinder thread in case anyone is interested in an Only War game that may be a Shadowrun 5e game if people want it to be.

>GM or Player
GM
>System
Only War or Shadowrun 5e, I haven't decided which yet, but I think I'd prefer to run Only War.
>Schedule/Timezone
Sundays around 7-9 PM EST (UTC-5), with normal sessions lasting around 3-4 hours.
>Contact Information
I'll have a poorly drawn Johnny Bravo avatar.
>Method of Play
Roll20 for dice and maps/visuals, and skype for voice chat.
>Additional Info
I'm pretty much set on the times, so please don't come to (chirp) me asking me to change them. If you are a habitual flake, please don't waste my time or your fellow players' time by asking to join up. Unchecked autism over what is "canon" in the aforementioned system's settings is also a disqualifier. If you are interested, contact me on skype, the only message you should send me is the word hidden in parentheses in this post. The maximum number of players that I am seeking for a game is 5, and slots will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Please reply to the post ITT only with additional questions about the game, and keep all requests to join on Skype.
>>
>>44711095
Why would you use Shadowrun for a 40k game?
>>
>>44711207
It's either or, depending on what the players want. Separate rulebooks, separate settings, I don't mix and match.
>>
File: Throne Mechanicum Imprints.jpg (413 KB, 1435x871) Image search: [Google]
Throne Mechanicum Imprints.jpg
413 KB, 1435x871
'Sup /40krpg/, Imperial Knight Homebrew guy here (I probably should start namefagging when I post this stuff, shouldn't I?). I'm working on a new version of [Chivalry Intensifies] that will see the inclusion of rules for the Throne Mechanicum and its ancestral imprints, aswell as a "personality" for the Knight Armours machinespirit similar to the Power Armour history rules from DW and Machinespirit Oddities rules from RT (and possibly customisation options for Imperial Knights).

Here's the table for Throne Mechanicum imprints so far and I want some second opinions, because I'm not entirely sure wether the rules currently are too dominant or if they should simply be more like the Demeanours table from OW.
>>
>>44710825
You realize that in WH40k war is pretty universal? There might be relative peace in some Imperial systems but even these systems are still thoroughly militarized. Why? Because they need to. The Imperium is fighting millions of wars everyday against countless enemies. They need every ounce of metal, every drop of fuel, every fighting man they can get. Spoiler; the Imperium doesn't ever get enough and is slowly collapsing from the strain of just trying to survive.

As for Damaris, the world is pretty poorly thought out. It's a well populated world smack in the middle of the Kronus Expanse which is full of many, many horrible things that want to kill you, rape you, and consume your soul. A world this populated is a massive target and if it has survived for a thousand years it's probably going to be well defended. This means having at least 1% active military and probably shit ton of reserves.

This isn't the first time FFG has dropped the ball on scale. There's several 'hive worlds' in the Calixis sector described with only several million people in population.
>>
File: [Chivalry Intensifies].pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
[Chivalry Intensifies].pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44711297
Oh and the current [Chivalry Intensifies] rules as reference.
>>
So, 40kRPG GMs and players, at roughly what range do encounters generally start? Within a few dozen meters max? Within a hundred or two meters? How does this tendency affect your gear choices?

In my RT games, encounters start within 40-50 meters max because the general terrain is "Ship corridors", "City blocks", "Lost Ruins", or "Dense wilderness terrain". It's led to massive favoring of bolters and so-called "Raider pattern" guns made in peoples' garages and optimized for extreme damage at very short range.
>>
>>44713951
Depends on the combat. Sometimes I run close range combats within 30 metres, and other times the players are scrabbling for cover while a sniper and a heavy gunner pin them from 200 metres away as ground troops close in.
>>
>>44713951
5000-6500 m
I'm GMing an only war tank crew
>>
>>44707430
Sill using that scan of Shield of Humanity, huh?
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM
>>
>>44714306
You do the Emperor's work, anon. Thank you.
>>
Shall we add Knightbro's homebrew to the copypasta?
>>
>>44714207
Are you always in the desert or something?
>>
>>44714306
based
>>
>>44714831
As said Knightbro, I'd say wait until I've got the new version out.
>>
Quick, post your favourite obscure weapon that you actually got to use!
>>
>>44721115
Concealed bolter-cane
>>
Storytime from the game I ran tonight (running a Rogue Trader game using DH 2E rules):

> players responding to distressed Imperial Navy frigate
> Per Navy distress protocol, crew garrison in Armoury and Enginarium
> Dock shuttle at airlock near Armoury
> Go to Armoury, give current Imperial Navy cypher
> Receive wrong return cypher
> Say, "Fuck this shit, that's a trap" and return to shuttle
> Decide that Enginarium might still have loyal Navy inside
> Fly shuttle to an aft airlock, go to Enginarium.
> Enginarium sends same Imperial cypher
> Give return cypher
> Door opens, enginarium is pitch black except for light spilling into the entryway
> Walk in, weapons down, expecting fat reward for rescue
> Receive Dark Eldar ambush to the face, tortured, thrown in slave pen

Fortunately I have good players. They were initially pissed that they got their shit raped (the only one who had to burn fate was the psyker, because obvi Dark Eldar aren't going to pull punches on a warpy fuck), and said it was bullshit DM fiat that they had the Imperial cypher to trick them.

Then I reminded them that they provided the initial cypher to the Armoury, spent two hours getting from the Armoury to the Enginarium, and then received the same initial cypher from the Enginarium.
>>
>>44722206
Let that be a lesson to them, always fucking scan the ship (and neighboring space) first, never drop your weapons, and always bring fuckloads of armsmen.
>>
File: Scorpion-Get-Over-Here-l.jpg (209 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Scorpion-Get-Over-Here-l.jpg
209 KB, 600x600
>>44721115
>Vertical Spindle Set
Not only does it double as 3-dimensional maneuver gear, but if you've got a good enough set, you can use them as ranged grappling tools.

Oh the shit I got up to with those...
>>
>>44722280
To be fair, this is an intentionally low-powered campaign. Their (NPC) Rogue Trader is an aloof drunk who lets them use his name, but barely has enough profits to keep the ship flying.

They started with DH2E characters at 2,000 XP. They're supposed to be in over their heads, and doing the heavy lifting themselves.

They did scan the ship. This was a trap. The Dark Eldar used the Armoury and Enginarium as a holding pen for the captured Imperials, so their scans actually showed normal and their knowledge of Navy protocols confirmed.

I honestly hadn't anticipated them asking about Imperial cyphers to identify true friendly forces. I gave them the out--I confirmed when they received the incorrect return, that was enough to relieve them of their duty to provide aid--and let them return to their shuttle. They chose to go back to the ship, and gave the filthy xenos the last bit they needed to pull the trap.
>>
>>44722462
And by "holding pen" I mean "sewed/skin-grafted them together in hideous poses and gleefully tortured them so they wouldn't be milling about resisting"
>>
>>44722462
Still, 2 hours to get the correct Cipher?
That's a pretty fucking shitty Cipher.
Even for the Imperium.
>>
>>44722631
Two hours to get from the Armoury (midship) to the Enginarium (aft), which the Dark Eldar used to torture Navymen to understand what happened (basically, that such cyphers exist), coordinate with the Enginarium team, and improve.
>>
File: 1435337920192.jpg (33 KB, 514x898) Image search: [Google]
1435337920192.jpg
33 KB, 514x898
I'm having a hard time coming up with original investigations for a lower-leveled DH (1e) party. I'm talking like, rank 1-2.

I'm able to come up with a interesting enough setting and NPCs, but I just can't seem to come up with a compelling plot that my players would have even the remotest of chances solving.

I know there are modules available (which I plan on using) but I also want to come up with some of my own original content.

Any tips for a novice GM?
>>
>>44722867
Take the plot of an episode of your favorite mystery TV episode. The victim is also involved in the sale of illicit xenos artefacts.

Congratulations, you have a plot that was once explored in 60 minutes to use for your game.
>>
>>44722206
Should've send armsmen instead of themselves.

Or, better still, virus torpedoes. If it happened in Koronus, well, ancient void law allows traders to claim crewless ships, and they surely did their best to try and save anyone.
>>
There are few greater joys than driving a sicaran main battle tank through lines of the enemies of the God Emperor of Mankind, a hymn on your lips and the autocannons blazing.
>>
>>44716290
No. Actually, sandy desert can diminish visual range due to dunes and sandstorms. But unless you are in urban areas, you'd better plan the way you approach enemy positions.
>>
How often does your party make use of vehicles?
>>
>>44725599
All the time for transportation.
Occasionally in combat, when circumstances allow.
>>
In DH2e, when requisition vehicles, can I just pick what weapon it comes with or is it a separate requisition test?
>>
>>44724742
What's the location to consistently get visual ranges like those then?
>>
>>44726536
In the sky or in orbit.
>>
>>44726574
I didn't imagine the anon had a space tanks campaign going
>>
>>44726579
>Not having a regiment of flying tanks
>>
>>44726774
If there is something like that in the fluff I might stat them up to support my naval infantry muhreens
>>
>>44711342
Concurred, Damaris would need to be ruled by pacifists who've survived either by Emperor-like dumb luck or some sort of treachery with the neighboring xenos+luck for it to be pausible. One of their writers needs a smack to the head.
>>
What's requisition test like for a weapon with attachments? Say, a lathe alloy blade.
>>
>>44727112
What books are those in?
>>
File: 2016-01-12_14-23-40.png (172 KB, 293x343) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-12_14-23-40.png
172 KB, 293x343
>>44727142
Lathes steel is from IH (DH1). But it is just an example of a very rare "attachment" on a common weapon.
>>
>>44727112
Highest rarity among the combined item, with a further -5 for every section of the item beyond the first.

So a Bolter with a Red Dot Sight and a Pistol Grip is is -30 (-20 for Very Rare Boltgun, -10 for the two mods).
>>
>>44727179
That would be.. -55?
Very Rare (-20), Best Quality (-30), one modification (-5).
>>
>>44727179
>Very Rare just to upgrade a weapon to Best and then some

Basically what >>44727196
>>
>>44727188
>with a further -5 for every section of the item beyond the first.
Is that a house rule? I couldn't find any rules for compound items.

>>44727196
So basically not going to happen with -55 to test?

I never played games with high influence stat. Do players get it assigned beforehand? Considering that you can't increase it with XP.
>>
>>44727225
Rogue Trader was the first one to have those rules, you can find them in the core book.

It can happen, remember in Rogue Trader you get a +30 for only purchasing a single one, bringing it down to -25.
Then you factor in a very good Commerce skill (every party needs one person who's good at it), boosting your check, and you could very well have a good chance of purchasing one, even at lower levels.

Take a bit of investment though.
Influence is randomly determined, like most characteristics, you increase it through completing missions, and purchasing the Peer talent.
>>
>>44727225
Which game line is this for?
>>
>>44727262
>>44727252
Dark Heresy 2. But I couldn't find any rules for items with upgrades.

How often would you let your players roll for new items? I understand it makes sense to do once per contact but with influence being intentionally vague, they can invent all kinds of new contacts (while still being reasonable).
>>
>>44727288
Maybe once at the start of a session to represent off-screen shopping, but in-game only when they're actually at a vendor or can contact one. From then, it would depend on what they're actually going for.

5 knives? Just roll once.

Autogun with custom ammo? Sure, do two influence tests.

Ammo and grenades? Ok, two tests.

Meltagun and power sword? Don't even bother rolling unless if you're at least at a very well stocked IG munitorium or a forgeworld armory and even then, only try for one.
>>
>>44727319
And in the context of weapons with several attachments? Take lathe blade for example, given access to an admech facility or somesuch. Is that one test? At -55 difficulty?
>>
>>44727346
Probably one test.

I don't really see why vendors would keep weapons stocked that have upgrades on them unless if there is a really good reason too, like the upgrade actually being an integral part of the weapon itself like that lathe blade upgrade, reinforced, mono, or sacred inscriptions.
>>
>>44727373
Another good example I just thought of would be that this world equips a regiment that has an upgraded weapon as a standard regimental weapon.
>>
>>44727319
Excuse me, what is the reasoning behind "hurt durr, you can't roll for that" providing players are in the location where the sought item should be reasonably available and the players had enough influence to procure it?
There is subtlety drop for rare/bulk purchases, which can (and should) lead to mission failure or complications making the mission not worth the effort, probably much to ire of their handlers.
I'm always puzzled by the thought process of "I'm writing a novel" DM types who do things like this.
There might be genuine shortages in materiel, but these ought to be reason in universe behind that rather than ad hoc attempt to bar players from doing something.
Are you so creatively sterile hard bans is your default response?
I am genuinely curious what's the logic behind actions like these.
>>
>>44727453
It is one thing to be able to afford them. It is another thing entirely to find someone selling them.
>>
>>44727453
He explicitly said that the ability to roll depends on where you are and who you're dealing with. Would you get mad for hearing that no, the local blacksmith of this village housing 28 souls can't sell you a vorpal blade, even if you could afford one?
>>
>>44727490
Sorry, have you read my message before replying? I explicitly mentioned rolling for items where is a reasonable chance to find the desired item.
Let me dumb it down for you: previous anon had said he won't allow to roll for both power sword and a melta gun even in a well stocked munitoriun. Unless I misunderstand his post, then I apologise, but assuming I'm correct, what is the rationale for prohibiting the roll if the storage is filled with melta guns and power swords? Why can you only have one?
Wouldn't it be better to let them go on a shopping spree and then gently remind them they can carry only one or two weapons and they need to put the rest away? And possibly have it nicked if they don't have a well guarded storage? Because subtlety drop after such a shopping will get every gang in the vicinity to steal stuff from loaded fools, not to mention alerting their quarry.
Doing this once will tech most people much better and create a memorable experience.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just asking. Do you at least give some justification for it or roll with "because I said so"?
>>
>>44727565
fucking this, have consequences for actions, don't outright forbid them.
>>
If you had to run a one shot of any WH40k with complete newbies to both the system and setting, what game would you use and what would be the one-shot about?
>>
>>44727636
Only War

Fighting Orks
>>
>>44727636
Dark Heresy.
Make them fight Necrons.
>>
>>44727288
Depends on where they're trying to acquire it and how subtle they're trying to be.

From a bona fide Imperial source (Munitorium, etc) in which they are willing to identify themselves as Inquisition? As much as they want, and the test just determines if they *have* the item requested.

From a shady blackmarket dealer on the backwater planet where they're currently investigating? As often as they want, provided they have the time to speak to him *and* enough time to wait for him to acquire the item (flavored off the DoS.)

The party has succeeded on Requisition tests with DoS and been forced to abandon their gear because the mission dragged them off-world or the like before the goods were delivered.
>>
Do bonuses to willpower tests, like from a brazier of holy fire, also affect focus power tests that use willpower?
>>
>>44727565
Oddly, I would envision a Munitorum depot having multiple meltaguns (probably not rooms full of them, but five or ten), but I could well see it not having power swords.

I'd imagine any available power swords would be assigned to officers, not hanging around the depot.

(This is despite me knowing that the books say they are the same rarity. I don't know if this is my intuition being off, the rarities being too coarse-grained or whether power swords are commoner and meltaguns rarer amongst civilian populations than the Imperial Guard (the last might make sense; many nobles would have a power sword as a status symbol, but there are few civilian uses for a meltagun)
>>
>>44727910
Power swords are a status symbol as you said, even among space marines. Grunts may carry a meltagun but only if you're an officer or a veteran sergeant you get a power sword.
>>
Thinking about running a Storm Wardens only one shot using Deathwatch rules to reenact the Battle of Stirling bridge, full Brave Heart mode.
Yay or nay? Any advice on running massed battles?
>>
>>44728423
Use OW formations rules or a diluted version of the tabletop if you want to have company-level combat. Otherwise, have the battle going as the plot requires with the pc squad being able to change the tide of battle through their actions. Have them test on appropriate skills to recognize weak points in the lines or chances which could be exploited, like an enemy officer near the front lines or a sudden manouver leaving support elements exposed, then zoom in on the pcs and play as usual.
>>
Planning to give a little boon to my OW players, in the form of equipment ready to be scavenged. I have a little present for them all, except for the medic. He's partial to either some cool sp pistol or a narthecium, any other suggestion?
>>
I have a question on black crusade.

My soon to be gathered party are mostly people going for the apostate - like builds and and one person going forsaken.

Should I split the party?

The idea is to have the apostates go into a daemon world in order to tarnish the reputation of their warband leader's rival, while the forsaken goes on a solo mission to retrieve an artifact for the warband leader (since he is the only one who can do this). I have my doubts, however, as I dont know if this is a good or bad idea. I know the players personalities, so I had this in mind specifically for the forsaken and the apostate characters, but I am still not sure if I should go ahead with it.

Any advice?
>>
>>44728497
Where are those formation rules in OW?
>>
>>44728729
what about some form of med helmet

Flak/ carapace helmet with diagnostor, respirator, micro bead and lamp pack built in
>>
>>44728870
Enemies of the Imperium, they're an improved and refined set of hordes rules by what I gathered, haven't tried DW yet so I can't judge
>>
File: I do cocaine.jpg (119 KB, 878x679) Image search: [Google]
I do cocaine.jpg
119 KB, 878x679
>>44707521
We played our second ever session of Rogue Trader on Sunday. Our first mission was to find the guys that stole some of our Trader's cargo. I played a really old missionary who's always cheerful and a little bit senile.
We found the warehouse where the thieves put the goods. My guy wanted to light the whole place on fire and gun down the thieves as they ran out, but it was pointed out by less extreme members of the team that it might damage the stolen cargo.
So I decided I would go in, pretending to be a crazy old homeless guy, and distract the thieves while the rest of the team would sneak in and set up to attack. I go in. All the thieves look at me. I look at them.
They're all chaos cultists.
So then I have to roll to see if I can suppress my intense hatred of chaos long enough to provide a meaningful distraction. I roll three degrees of failure.
>"Hello there young people, can you direct me to the (twitch) FUCKING PURGE! FUCKING PURGE! FUCKING PUR-"
They open fire. The rest of the team runs in, massive firefight. I had left my flamer behind, to aid with my disguise, so I just ran in and starting beating the shit out of them with my staff. Screaming "FUCKING PURGE" the entire time.
>>
>>44728902
Could be nice, he's already got everything besides the respirator, but it would all come in a nice package and would be even more sweet with the narthecium when he gets it. He'll be the more tacticool medic in the regiment (and he's humoring the thought of going medical commander and go around with a personal field hospital)
>>
>>44726912
Possibly they were aiming for this, GM's have to fluff up their own reasons for how Damaris isn't overrun by xenos by now. If anything it actually makes the place pretty creepy.

Planet-wide chaos cult allied with nearby chaos pirate factions? Outside observers only see a deceptively peaceful imperial world? This is actually a pretty good way to turn your Rogue Trader party into 'unofficial' Inquisition Acolytes and have a mini-game of DH inside your RT campaign imo. Does the RT et al stay to uncover the secret of their survival? Or simply trade them space-snakeoil before disappearing into profit-factor again?
>>
>>44727453
Just a heads up, saying "genuinely curious" doesn't excuse you for calling him "creatively sterile".
Dick.
>>
>>44728853
In games like BC and DH, splitting the party SHOULD be expected, because you can not achieve goals for a variety of things with so many different sorts hanging on.
It is more difficult to gm for, and more dangerous if battle breaks out, but it fits the spirit of the game entirely.
My suggestion, however, would be to run their solo work on days other than game day to not keep the rest of the group sitting.
>>
>>44729022
Could very well be the governor paying local pirates not to attack, and turning a blind eye to their activities in return. Or even xeno factions.
>>
I'm making some backup characters for my Rogue Trader game, just in case mine gets fragged, and I've got a question: how would you build a Seneschal?
Can I expect him to be somewhat decent at combat, or should I just focus completely on social stuff and stay out of combat as much as I can?
>>
>>44728729
I suggest boobytrapping all salvageable equipment
>>
>>44729204
Aren't they super accountants who are also spies?
>>
>>44728853
Here is my experience from my own group as a player.
Due to a godawful lie and some serious oversight by the "eggheads and social slut" in the group, they ended up signing an indentured servitude contract to a mining operation, while myself (Feral World Imperial Guard Assassin assigned to bodyguard duty for the warband, just like back in the IG with even MORE LHO STICKS) and the super bulldyke wannabe bolter bitch were literally told to fuck off, as our cover was the worker's escorts and there was no need for us within the hive itself.
So, seeking work and information on a rebellious element within the hive against the proper work conditions, of course she ends up joining the local Enforcers and I apply myself to the hive gangers.
Enforcers tell her to take a squad and investigate an area that had fallen into disrepair, costing the lives of 3 other enforcers sent to clear it out of squatters, I get told that to prove my worth, I have to go out and 'bag myself an enforcer'.
"Easy", I replied.
"Alive."
"Shit."
>can storytime the rest, it gets worse/better
>>
>>44729029
As you have seen, I am always ready to apologise and admit being wrong.
Pussy.
>>
File: seneschal.jpg (62 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
seneschal.jpg
62 KB, 454x600
>>44729241
...I guess? I don't have a lot to draw on. This is the picture of one in the book, and he's swinging on a rope. I wanted to make a character because it's one of the few that we haven't made, but I have almost nothing to draw on.
>>
>>44729247
Please do. Sounds really interesting.
>>
>>44729259
As am I. I stand corrected, and I apologize.
Cockwrangler.
>>
>>44729276
Being decent in a fight means being able to shoot first and run fastest, if that.
You want to be smart, you want to know EVERYONE, you want to be able to run the ship when your RT is too busy getting xeno poon to do it himself.
>>
>>44729065
>>44729022

I think it's more likely the writers are just retarded. They describe Damaris as the strongest imperial outpost outside of Port Wander in the Expanse. It's people are faithful and hard working. In addition, the governors have been competent excluding the current one and the very competent nobility is ready to overthrow him. Finally, the place has major Ministorum, Imperial Navy, and Mechanicus presence. It even raises regiments yearly for the Imperial Guard. In sum, it is described as a Imperial world that isn't officially a part of the Imperium because the Expanse isn't officially a Imperial sector.

Damaris should have at the least 30M standing forces, with up to 600M manpower reserve. It should take a large Ork Waagh to threaten a world with that many forces.

Honestly, I think a better adventure would be to have Damaris already under siege by the Orks. That way the players could gather support in men and materials to break the siege. This could involve convincing rogue traders and the Imperial Navy to lend ships, destroying Ork supply lines, or even doing luring a chunk of the Ork horde off to fight something else like Rak'Gols or chaos pirates.
>>
>>44729298
Seconded.
>>
>>44729304
I'm sorry too then, niggerbitch
>>
>>44729298
>cont.
I, Larl of Jenkin, of regiment "11th Destru's Demons", hunter, stalker, and slayer of men, beasts, and xenos, was led to a sub-mining platform in the underhive for what, for me, was the most unimaginable task ever: take someone in alive.
>approach in panther mode, see people streaming in, 6 enforcers patrolling this side, no gun placements, carbines, truncheons, shields
>notice the place lit by glowglobes
>draw bow
>yes, a bow
>take out 2 lights
>2 caps flick on lights
>shit, think one of them saw me
>draw mono great sword
>listen close, shit I think one of them saw me...
>WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?!
>lock eyes
>I'm charging you
>he fires damn near point blank
>terror of 6'5, 250lb Native American looking dude wearing bloodstained furs wielding a sword almost as big as he makes him miss horribly
>cover is blown, gonna kill one, subdue the other
>roll 01
>roll 9/9, because TZEENTCH
>take his head clean off from the hinge of the jaw up, flies off into the distance
>get full auto fire in the back from 10 meters
>Imma big dude, but it hurts bad (8 of 14 wounds after soak bad), can't take another burst like that
>pick up the dead dude's body, charge
>more spray
>my ingenious idea of human corpse shield has worked like 3 times already
>snarling, try to knock him to the ground
>enforcer holds strong, yo, these cops ain't a fucking joke, mang
>drop body, pull pin on smoke grenade because shouting in the distance
>enforcer swings and misses
>GRAPPLE BITCHES
>tries to break free
>13
>Larl chuckles, throws the enforcer to the ground
>08
>Larl chokes a bitch cop out
>22
>continues choking
>11
>insert 5 more rounds of me rolling nothing over 23 on EVERY ROLL
>God Emperor FUCKING WITNESSED
>finally choked out the cop
>smoke is gone, 8 enforcers coming in at me
>fuckfuckfuckfuckpickupthecoprunrunrun
>gunfire
>so much gunfire, so many dice rolls from the gm
>pull pin on last smoke, drop it behind me as I dart into an alley and keep running
>cont.
>greentext?
>>
>>44729587
Heh, my Dark Heresy group also has a brick shithouse built bloke called Larl who uses a great weapon and hits like a truck.

Is it one of the random table names?
>>
File: 1409133892839.jpg (115 KB, 625x566) Image search: [Google]
1409133892839.jpg
115 KB, 625x566
>>44729587
Forgot, this was my expression when I realized that a new state of dice being had been achieved.
>>
File: 1438480575533.jpg (111 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1438480575533.jpg
111 KB, 800x600
>>44729694
>Is it one of the random table names?
Yes, it is, for feral worlders.
>cont.
>explosion behind me, dunno why, keep running
>run for about 2 minutes, stop
>drop cop, catch breath
>cop begins waking up
>thiswillnotdo.webm
>pistol whip him
>still groaning
>repeat pistol whip
>is silent
>Much better
>Meet up with ganger contact, bring the cop to the ganger hideout
>poor enforcer, for fate had you meet The Larl of Jenkins this day, and had you not, you would have gone home to your family
>The Emperor demands we all serve, and some must serve in ways less desired than others
>But know that your death will save the lives of many, and further the Emperor's Great Duty
>as for me, the only thing I can offer you, a fellow warrior worthy of respect, is my sincerest apologies
>Ave Imperator
>For the Emperor
>>
>>44729234
I still haven't revealed the kommandos, after that booby traps will be fair game
>>
>>44729479
Does it explicitly state the number of reserves?
>>
How do you use force fields in your games? Do you have PCs/NPCs roll for those before they get to dodge? After? If an attack has multiple hits, do you roll for each separate one, or do you negate all hits with one roll?
>>
File: 1296037331795.jpg (94 KB, 563x563) Image search: [Google]
1296037331795.jpg
94 KB, 563x563
>>44731295
>booby traps
>fair game
>>
>>44731336
>Do you have PCs/NPCs roll for those before they get to dodge? After?
Before, due to...
>If an attack has multiple hits, do you roll for each separate one, or do you negate all hits with one roll?
You nullify the ENTIRE ATTACK ACTION when you successfully use a force field.
>>
>>44731529
>has kommandos lined up
>something as low brow and common as booby traps will be fair game compared to kommandos
>>
>>44729935
That was... *SNIFF*

Beautiful.
>>
how much difference is there between the new and old dh rules? can i still use my 1e sourcebooks?
>>
>>44732611
For lore, yes.
For equipment, MOSTLY, but be aware of the new rules and design paradigms.
For core rules, no.
For creature design, no.
>tl;dr because you are a faggot, use the lore and inspiration, not the mechanics as is
>>44732417
Thank you.
It's a personal conflict IC, because Larl is a fighter, loves the Emperor, will die in his duty, but this guy had fuck all to do with fuck all. Hell, he was one of the good guys, helping to smash the treasonous masses.
>>
>>44732755
You know, everyone likes to stereotype inquisitors as hipocrytical pieces of shit, and while I dont deny some inquisitors are such creatures, I cant help but think about what other more "good" inquisitors think about themselves after they do these acts.

Ah well, the Imperium must survive anyway at all costs.
>>
>>44732611

The core rolling and stuff is general the same, its mostly character creation that's changed.
That said you're better off just sticking to 1E stuff for now with occasionally transfer since there are subtle differences.
>>
>>44732611
Basically all of how psykers work, loads of weapon and armor qualities, skills are condensed immensely, how righteous fury works, and some smaller things.
>>
>>44728910
beautiful
>>
>>44732611
most significant change is you can purchase any advancements you like, although XP for different skills differ depending on homeworld and specialisation.
gear is 85% backwards compatible
>>
>>44732611
Skills have been consolidated, Survival now does what Survival, Tracking, Wrangling and some minor Trade skills once did, for example.

Talents have been expanded, some have been removed, and all around juggled.

Careers now provide discounts for advancement purchasing, so you can purchase whatever you like, but stuff your background supports is cheaper. Questionable, as there's no way to change it yet, and it means certain careers can't purchase appropriate knowledge skills cheaply.

Psychic powers have been completely overhauled to be much less risky, and also less powerful. Somewhat.

Combat has been... Changed. Parry's a skill, swift attacks and co aren't multiple attacks but bonus hits dependant on DoS, Full-Auto isn't nearly as awesome, and so forth. Arguably better balanced, but many argue less thematic.
Righteous fury now isn't exploding 10's, so you can't kill a Hive Tyrant with a brick.

Instead of counting thrones and stealing cultist's boots to sell for food, you have a money "characteristic" which you make tests against to buy stuff. Ties better into the the system, and means less hassle for the GM, but it shits itself when you try and buy cheap stuff. I like to mix it up with Influence for bigger stuff, and also just giving them plain cash.

Dark Heresy 2e is basically Dark Heresy 1e with some system refinements, but also cutting out a lot of the "you're going to fucking die" character of the first one. There's also (right now) just less material to use, but also a lot more bullshit gear. Stuff in 1e probably would give you a +10 if you were fucking lucky. Sticking a brazier on your hat in 2e gives you a much larger bonus to a wide array of skills, regardless of circumstance.

Subtlety is the "new mechanic", which basically tracks how sneaky you're being. There are arguably bonuses to being unsubtle, but from what people have mentioned about the pre-made material, they practically expect you to go full Splinter Cell.
>>
>>44737338

>Arguably better balanced, but many argue less thematic.

Those people are faggots.
I've played DH1E to Black Crusade and Black Crusade (and subsequently 2E since 2E is based on it) is far better.

Seriously, what do they even mean by "thematic"?
>>
>>44737416
Apparently it's "you're filling the air with lead, how does that make it harder to hit them than just firing one shot".
>>
>>44737338
>certain careers can't purchase appropriate knowledge skills cheaply.

This is not wrong, but do take note of the errata changing Common Lore's second Aptitude to General. It stops it being too stupidly expensive for, say Arbites Warriors to buy up Common Lore (Underworld).
>>
>>44737456
>"you're filling the air with lead, how does that make it harder to hit them than just firing one shot".
Does the word 'recoil' mean nothing to people?
>>
>>44737686
Apparently.
>>
>>44737686
I am a huge fan of the second wave of rules and perfectly willing to shut down "but logically..." whining with a mallet labelled "BALANCE, MOTHERFUCKER!" but...

Recoil would only affect the accuracy of the second and subsequent bullets, not the first.
>>
>>44737506
That one was certainly a relief
>>
>>44737506
>>44737338

Did they change the aptitude system that much from Only War?
I never heard complaints about it being too limiting with that system but I feel like people call it a big issue with DH2E a lot.
>>
>>44737416
Maybe they feel like having to count each throne gelt and spend it wisely reinforced the theme of a few underprepared underequipped guys being thrown into the blender known as the Inquisition.
Maybe they felt like the idea of fixed career paths was a good idea to represent a society so hierarchic and controlled as the Imperium.
Maybe they liked that the psykers did not need stat prerequisites for their powers making every Biomancer or Diviner nearly identical mechanically.
>>
>>44737982
The aptitude system is 100% identical. You can port talents back and forth with no issue unless if there are different versions of that talent in OW and 2e.
>>
>>44738014
>Maybe they feel like having to count each throne gelt and spend it wisely reinforced the theme of a few underprepared underequipped guys being thrown into the blender known as the Inquisition.

Ah, yes, that theme of "The Inquisition likes to use half-trained idiots as it's operatives and to give them an operating budget of whatever they can find between the couch cushions."

That theme that existed only in early Dark Heresy 1st supplements and not in any of the other stuff written about the Inquisition in either codexes or Black Library.

That theme that made no fucking sense.

There are no words for how fucking happy I am that that "theme" got taken round the back of the sheds and shot 10 times in the head.
>>
>>44737982
There's more factors to determine which aptitudes are available in DH2.

OW had it essentially built by either the custom regiment or class, but DH2 has them spread by the background and their role, of which there are plenty of each.
>>
>>44738208
>That theme that made no fucking sense
I'm sorry to hear I've been having wrong kind of fun, anon
>>
>>44738208
I don't know I actually like the idea that an Inquisitor starts dozens of teams a year and the ones which show potential (=survive) are trained further. It's not like a sector in 40k doesn't have enough problems that sending well-armed and well-trained operatives at every one of them is not only extremely costly but impossible as well.
>>
>>44738531
>Cost mattering
>To an inquisitor
There is also that if the acolytes fuck up and the heretics or xenos or whatever enact their plans, it would be even more costly to fix what happened.
>>
>>44738562
>Bankrupting the sector chasing after minor heresies
How are you gonna explain that to the Conclave son?
Also if you send the Acolytes so late that only they can stop the xenos'/cult's plans from being finished, then you are an incompetent fuckup of an Inquisitor who can't even gather intel on xenos/cults way before they become a problem.
>>
Does the empire have diplomatic contact with other races?
I could see they'd have a use of diplomats on eldar forge worlds if just to avoid war.

What about Tau?
Orcs doesn't have their own worlds in the known galaxy right?
>>
>>44738802
What.
>Eldar forge worlds
What

Kinda?

They do.

Just how much of the lore do you know?
>>
>>44738842
He meant Craftworlds, obviously
>>
>>44738842
>>44738891
My bad, craftworlds.

It was 10 years since I played 40k, and I know mostly about the army I played IG. But now I started to play DH.

So I only know the basics.
>>
File: 1362779166640.gif (2 MB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
1362779166640.gif
2 MB, 300x264
>>44738802
>eldar forge worlds
>Orcs doesn't have their own worlds in the known galaxy right?
Orcs have -Empires- in the known galaxy dude. And it's called the Imperium, important distinction.

And the Imperium kinda does have a corps of diplomats (or had, unsure if it survived to the 41st millennium) but it's not really elaborated on and the Imperium really doesn't care for diplomacy when dealing with aliens. Even if there is a very neat short story about an Imperial diplomatic delegation visiting a Tau world in the first Tau codex (iirc).
>>
>>44738968
There is also, it should be noted, internal diplomatic relations; envoys from one Imperial organization to another, complex dealings between noble families, ambassadors sent by one planetary governor to foster good relations with another.

Lots of scope to have "diplomat" as a background without having dealt with xenos.

There are also Rogue Traders, who can make deals with xenos on their own judgement and have a qualified immunity from being punished for it.
>>
>>44738802
Not really, for the last few thousand years, mankind has been at war with every single Xenos race they have known of. For generation upon generation, mankind has been indoctrinated to believe that Xenos are villainous scum and a stain upon the God-Emperor's perfect design for the universe. As children, they are preached to that Xenocide is a holy endeavour that serves their God.

And the other races are no better.
Eldar would gladly murder billions of humans or any other race to preserve one of their own (and yet like lemmings constantly throw their kind into dangerous situations). The Tau believe people should convert or die, or be thrown into brainwashing camps. Orks only want to fight and kill.

There may be the odd ceasefire between factions when a bigger foe appears. However no race in the 41st Millenium trusts any other faction to honour any truce that they create. They are incapable of doing so. The last few thousand years of war have taught them that.

There is nothing to be found in peace but deceit and treachery.
>>
>>44731333
Thousands for a world with several billion people. It's also policed by even less.
>>
File: [Chivalry Intensifies] 1.2.0.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
[Chivalry Intensifies] 1.2.0.pdf
1 B, 486x500
As mentioned upthread, here is the latest version of my Imperial Knight rules. Now including rules for the Throne Mechanicum and Imperial Knights Machine spirit! Also, I wrote some short rules for the specialist equipment in the Knight Scion class, aswell as filling that category out. Sadly I left out the mentioned vehicle upgrades for Imperial Knights. Had no workable ideas for it and the upgrades in Shield of Humanity are perfectly workable if you apply some common sense.

Also, I'm namefagging now when I'm posting stuff related to [Chivalry Intensifies] since why the fuck not? I do have a pen name on the cover for a reason.
>>
I need some suggestions for some cool Non-Daemon-prince daemons. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>44742464
Well, what is the daemon's role? What is it supposed to do? How are the PCs or NPCs supposed to interact with it?
>>
In 2e, would you allow a player playing a sororita character to continue playing that character at 100 insanity or would you have them retire that character?
>>
>>44742787
>100 insanity
No, no fucking way.
If you've fucked up that bad, that repeatedly, to get to 100 insanity, your character is fucking insane.
No take-backs, you should have spent some experience on dropping some of those points if you liked her that much.
>>
>>44741472
Little Nitpick:
Rolling a 10 on the Animus Demeanour table says to re-roll the result once. I think that feels...kinda pointless.
Were you intending to let someone pick it on their own or to roll two results?
>>
>>44742508

Literally anything.
I had a player summon a daemon possession upon himself last week and was forced to use the single one available in the core BC rule-book because they only give the one.
Was hoping to have some on reserve for future bad rolls.
>>
>>44742963
>the single one available in the core BC rulebook
>One daemon
>In the core Black Crusade book
Wot?
>>
File: 1437959451923.jpg (707 KB, 1902x1664) Image search: [Google]
1437959451923.jpg
707 KB, 1902x1664
>>44742963
In the ToE there's a chart for creating daemon names. That being said daemons rarely use their actual names so just make up some brutal shit and use that.
>>
GMing Rogue Trader, one of my Players is asking about playing a Tau character. Reason I'm here is about the sidebar 'heightened significance'. Is the player able to pick one of these advantages from the start of the game, or is it only Classified Competence they benefit from?
>>
>>44742464
Read Tome of Corruption from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e. Lots of Black Crusade rules are directly based on this book.
Pages 236-240, "Designing new Daemons" contain the info you need.
You could also use rules from DH1 Daemon Hunter, but ToC tables for daemon appearance are better.
>>
>>44744939
Those generated Daemon names are the real deal and even knowing part of it gives you power over the Daemon, so they keep that shit locked up.
>>
>>44743842

Greater Daemon, I should say.
The peril chart requires it be an incredibly strong one, not just a random nurgling.
>>
I'm not a huge fan of the character sheet in the core book. I found a nine page one on Dark Reign, but while that let's me have more information on the sheet it's bloated paper wise. Does anyone know of a good DH2E character sheet floating around?

Honestly I'm almost tempted to just make an excel sheet (I need a binder for every character I'm stating up for the game I'm about to run) and template it from there, but I'd like to avoid that if I can since I know I'll never be happy with what I make.
>>
>>44742787
If they asbolutely have to, they become a permanently frenzied Repentia or they got locked into a Penitent Engine.
>>
>>44746755

What is wrong with the base sheet?
>>
>>44742899
It's mostly filler, honestly. I had a tenth animus planned, but it wasn't working thematically or ruleswise so I replaced it with the reroll.
>>
>>44746755
You need less crib space than you think, anon.
>>
File: uhh_boss.png (280 KB, 450x375) Image search: [Google]
uhh_boss.png
280 KB, 450x375
Hey guys, could someone post the stats for basic ork boys and gretchin? I tried going through the references but I couldn't find any actual stats.
>>
>>44747060
Not that anon, but I, for one, keep running out of space for my forbidden lore skills.
>>
>>44749430
From which game line?
They are different in most of them.
>>44749457
3x5 cards, anon. You think I wrote down all my gear on my sheet?
>>
>>44749430
Ork Boy
WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel
(8)
37 19 46 44 30 24 32 26 21
Movement: 3/6/12/18 Wounds: 12
Armour: Flak armour (Body 2). Total TB: 8
Skills: Intimidate (S).
Talents: Bulging Biceps, Crushing Blow, Furious Assault,
Hardy, Iron Jaw, True Grit.
Traits: Brutal Charge, Make it Work, Mob Rule, Sturdy,
Unnatural Toughness (x2).
Weapons: Slugga (20m; S/3/-; 1d10+4 I; Pen 0; Clip 18;
Reload Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable), Shoota (60m; S/3/10;
1d10+4I; Pen 0; Clip 30; Reload Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable),
Big Shoota (80m; S/3/10; 1d10+6 I; Pen 1; Clip 40; Reload
Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable), or Choppa (1d10+7 R; Pen 2;
Unbalanced).
Gear: 2 Ammo clips, shiny bitz, 1d10 Ork teeth (“teef ”).

Gretchin
(2)
18 34 18 19 44 33 37 22 24
Movement: 3/6/12/18 Wounds: 7
Armour: None. Total TB: 2
Skills: Awareness (Per), Concealment (Ag), Dodge (Ag),
Search (Int), Shadowing (Ag), Silent Move (Ag).
Talents: Heightened Senses (Hearing).
Traits: Mob Rule, Size (Scrawny), Unnatural Toughness (x2).
Weapons: Grot Blasta (30m; S/-/-; 1d10+3 I; Pen 0; Clip
5; Reload 2 Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable) or Slugga (20m;
S/3/-; 1d10+4 I; Pen 0; Clip 18; Reload Full; Inaccurate,
Unreliable), sneaky boot knife (1d5+1 R; Pen 0).
Gear: 1 Ammo clip, shiny bitz, 1d5-2 Ork teeth (“teef ”).
Taken from Koronus bestiary for RT. You can probably find profiles in some other books as well, but this is literally the first that I found.
>>
>>44749556
>>44749430
ANd this is from OW core

Ork Boy (Troop)
37 24 46 44 30 24 32 26 21
Movement: 3/6/12/18 Wounds: 12
Armour: Flak armour (Body 2). Total TB: 6
Skills: Athletics (S), Intimidate (S).
Talents: Bulging Biceps, Crushing Blow, Furious Assault,
Hardy, Iron Jaw, Street Fighting, True Grit.
Traits: Brutal Charge (1), Make it Work, Mob Rule, Sturdy,
Unnatural Toughness (2).
Weapons: See below†.
Gear: Shiny bitz, Ork teeth, used as currency (“teef ”).
†Slugga Boy: Slugga (Pistol; 20m; S/3/–; 1d10+4 I; Pen 0;
Clip 18; Reload Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable), choppa (Melee;
1d10+6 R; Pen 2; Tearing, Unbalanced).
†Shoota Boy: Shoota (Basic; 60m; –/3/10; 1d10+4I; Pen
0; Clip 30; Reload Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable) or big shoota
(Heavy; 120m; –/–/10; 2d10+5 I; Pen 2; Clip 120; Reload
Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable).
†Loota Boy: Deffgun (Heavy 200m; –/–/10; 2d10+3 X;
Pen 6; Clip 80; Reload Full; Tearing, Inaccurate).
†Burna Boy: Burna (Basic; 20m; S/–/–; 1d10+4 E; Pen 2;
Clip 6; Reload Full; Flame, Spray, Unreliable), or burna (Melee;
1d10+5 E; Pen 5; Power Field, Unwieldy).

Gretchin (Minion)
18 34 18 19 36 33 37 22 24
Movement: 2/4/6/12 Wounds: 7
Armour: None. Total TB: 2
Skills: Awareness (Per), Dodge (Ag), Stealth (Ag).
Talents: Heightened Senses (Hearing).
Traits: Mob Rule, Size (Weedy), Unnatural
Toughness (1).
Weapons: Grot blasta (30m; S/–/–; 1d10+2
I; Pen 0; Clip 5; Reload 2 Full; Inaccurate,
Unreliable), slugga (Pistol; 20m; S/3/–; 1d10+4 I;
Pen 0; Clip 18; Reload Full; Inaccurate, Unreliable),
sneaky boot knife (Melee; 1d5+1 R; Primitive).
Gear: Shiny bitz, Ork teeth (“teef ”).
>>
>>44749556
>>44749657
To clarify - that number on a separate line above the main stats is the unnatural toughness modifier.
>>
>>44749657
>>44749556
>>44749430

There's also an Ork Boy in DH 2E's Enemies Without, but the statblocks aren't easily pasted.

They're much simpler, with only the Crushing Blow talent and Unnatural Strength and Toughness (both 1) traits.

Oddly, Boyz are only stated with Shootas in DH2E, though the stats for a Choppa are available from the armoury or Nob statblock.
>>
>>44749556
>>44749518
>>44749657
Cool, thanks a ton guys. I run black crusade, but the NPCs in the back are kinda limiting.
>>
>>44750103
Don't be afraid to use enemies from all the other game lines.
Eldar, Tau, Necrons can be... FUN.
>>
>>44750179
This.

Also, Tome of Blood has stats for Berin orks - orks trapped on a planet that was dragged into a warpstorm. As a result, they lack many comedic elements of a "standart" ork, replaced with even more straight and simple brutality. They also seem to very slowly go chaos.
>>
>>44750385
This is a statblock for Berin ork boy.
Berin Ork Boy (Troop)
6 6
40 15 45 45 20 20 30 25 20 – –
WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel Inf
Movement: 2/4/6/12 Wounds: 14
Armour: Hides (Body, Arms, Legs 2) Total TB: 6
Skills: Intimidate (S), Operate (Surface), Survival (Per).
Talents: Berserk Charge, Furious Assault, Iron Jaw, True
Grit, Unarmed Warrior.
Traits: Brutal Charge (3), Sturdy, Unnatural Strength (+2),
Unnatural Toughness (+2).
Weapons: Berin choppa (Melee; 1d10+7 R; Pen 2; Tearing,
Unbalanced), snappa gun (Melee; 1d10+6; Pen 0; Living
Weapon†, Tearing), buzza bomb (Thrown; 18m; S/–/–;
1d10+5 X; Pen 0; Clip 1; Blast [4], Crippling [1], Devastating
[1], Living Weapon†, Primitive [7]).
Gear: Tattered clothes, bits of shiny metal, assorted
tasty snack Squigs.
†Living Weapons inflict one additional hit for each Degree of
Success on the attack roll.
Mob Rule: All Orks produce latent psychic energy that makes
them feel more confident and aggressive when they gather in large
numbers. For every additional Ork within 10m, the Ork receives
a bonus of +10 to resist the effects of Fear and Pinning.
Waaagh! on Wheels: Any Ork (including Mekboyz and
Weirdboyz) can be upgraded to a Bikerboy, gaining the Operate
(Surface Craft) (Ag) +10 Skill and an Ork Bike (counts as a
Messian Outrider but with twin-linked Dakkaguns (Heavy;
75m; –/–/7; 1d10+6 I; Pen 2; Clip 100; Rld 3 Full) and no
Sidecar option; see page 49 for rules).
>>
>>44750411
>cont
Blood for da Blood God: Something within this planet
often infests some Boyz with even greater rage and fury
than usual, leading them to abandon proper Orky Kulture
and their gods Gork and Mork to follow a darker, even
bloodier path. Shunned from their tribes, they wage their
own wars upon any foes they find for their own god of
slaughter and skulls. These Bloodboyz gain the Frenzy
and Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) Talents but can only
use a pair of choppas in combat. They only can gain the
Mob Rule from other Bloodboyz, and other Orks do not
gain its benefit from nearby Bloodboyz.
>>
>>44749903
You know, I find it vaguely irritating that they just keep nerfing and simplifying orks. It's not as if 6 TB is -that- impossible to get past. That and I like orks to be at least somewhat scary, and part of that is the "You're in deep shit if they connect" thing. Cue FFG, in their wisdom, nerfing ork weapons till they're near universally less powerful than Imperial equivalents. Then they spent half of the NPC section of Enemies Without regurgitating more fucking Eldar bullshit and nerfing them at random too. Nothing weird or unique like the Egarians or Rak'Gol or Slaugth. Just the same tired shit we've seen two or three times now, nerfed and buffed at random. When did FFG turn into GW?
>>
>>44747060
I have awful handwriting for tiny spaces, and I'd like more room for notes for talents and special abilities and psychic powers so I don't have to spend as much time looking them up until I know how they work.
>>
>>44749518
I plan to use 3x5 cards for a lot of things already, and since I'm going to be GMing, I wanted to have character sheets for each important NPC.
>>
>>44746454
Core has 2, tomb of blood has 1, tome of excess has another.
>>
Question: How well does Forsaken Bounty fit as an introductory adventure? Just about to start RT with my group.
>>
What happens if I play deathwatch with a group where everyone is an ultramarine?

Do we all get to be in solo mode and squad mode at the same time?
>>
>>44754774
Well obviously the sticks up your ass resonate in frequency, calling down the blessing of the Spiritual Liege and ensuring you never fail, so long as you keep reciting the manual every 2 minutes.
>>
>>44750496
Can't speak to the other lines, but the thing about DH is that Orks aren't really a feature for the Inquisition. It's a REALLY niche campaign that gets Orks into the crosshairs of the Inquisition, and other than perhaps using Freebootaz as wandering damage on the way to a heresy, they don't make much sense.

I guess they just statted the Freeboota with an eye toward the NPC Reinforcement, and then scaled the Nob and Boy off that.

It's shitty, but Orks really don't belong in DH much.
>>
>>44750496
>nerfing ork weapons till they're near universally less powerful than Imperial equivalents

Good. Humans are the stars of the show. Xenos shouldn't even be a consideration.
>>
>>44755243
>It's shitty, but Orks really don't belong in DH much.
Unless you want to take a page from Deffwotch and go for missions like "Prove Lord Kommissar Hatgrabba The Heretic Smasha is a filthy xenos infiltrator."
>>
>>44756602

How dare you even SUGGEST such a thing! Lord Hatgrabba has been an honored servant of the emperor for decades! You insult his noble lineage!
>>
File: 1452315991719.jpg (153 KB, 975x975) Image search: [Google]
1452315991719.jpg
153 KB, 975x975
Do you guys have any reoccurring characters?

Do you guys have any connected campaigns?

I've done a Deathwatch and Rogue Trader campaign with the same "core" of the group, and now we're doing Dark Heresy, the plot between these games has all been connected and pretty much all of it has taken place in the Jericho Reach.

Some characters that keep showing up just to name a few are, Ahzek Ahriman, Inquisitor Hermanicus (PC), Grimshaw (PC) Veteran Dreadnaught of the Space Wolves currently employed by the Inquisitor. And my personal favorite, Carlos Santiago a bounty hunter/mercenary who is as ridiculously Spanish as his name makes him sound.

If my group holds together over the next few years I plan on us doing an Only War, Black Crusade, and finally a Dark Heresy Ascension/Grey Knight/Deathwatch campaign to tie it all off
>>
>>44757570
>Do you guys have any reoccurring characters?
Several.
>Do you guys have any connected campaigns?
Sort of. All my campaigns take place in the same sector, but not always at the same place in the timeline of M41. But generally, the shit they deal with is connected in some way simply because I like seeing my players exasperation when they realize they're dealing with a slightly different version of the same bullshit they've purged before.
>>
>>44757570
I've recycled some NPCs that nobody noticed nor cared that much about, but really the only reoccuring character was when someone played the same Chaos Space Marine across two Black Crusade games.

Pity he can't play with us any more, but unlike the rest of us he actually has a full time job and responsibilities.
>>
>>44755243
I disagree, one of the major ordos is specialised in dealing with xeno threats, and orks are the most common by far, how can you think the inquisition wouldn't be all over their activities?
>>
>>44757570
My RT game is psuedo generational. They play scions of the same dynasty each time, and every couple campaigns or so we drop down a generation. Appearances from former PCs turned power players are pretty much expected by now. As a sampling
>Original generation RT managed to scheme her way into becoming an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
>Said OG's bratty arch militant kid sister is now queen of a pirate fleet
>Second most successful RT owns a frontier world and managed to acquire Spess Israel, currently infested with Spess Kebab courtesy of the Word Bearers.
>Former Missionary is currently working her way to a post in the Sector Synod thanks to helping attempt removal of aforementioned Spess Kebab.
>The dead kunninest ork I've ever seen is currently zooming around unexplored space in a kroozer on a continuinf mission to seek out new life and new civilizations and krump them.
>>
>>44757570

> Do you guys have any reoccurring characters?

Yeah of course

> Do you guys have any connected campaigns?

We'e played 3 "campaigns." One was a DH 2E game from launch, going through the published adventures with one GM. Then I ran an extended DH2E one-shot I'd written for a convention game. Now I run a Rogue Trader game (though we're using DH2E rules.)

The first game was all brand new. My character's name is "Bones"

The DH one shot saw the acolytes working for an Inquisitor Bones. They were delivered to the planet for heresy by a Rogue Trader ship in the employ of Bones. They were basically total fucking assholes and fucked up their investigation royally.

The RT campaign started with a kill order from Bones, explaining that these acolytes were morons and needed to die. So they had to fight their own characters. Bones then sent them straight into a Dark Eldar trap as a reward, because he has an asset who's close and needs their unwitting support. They need to stop following Bones' tips.

The one shot as a prelude to the campaign was nice, because they rolled new characters and figured since it was a one(ish) shot, they just needed to be combat monsters. They bungled everything, and looted the nobility for their heirloom power and bolt weapons and such.

Then they greedily eyed the gear as a reward for finishing off their old acolytes, but their first fight with half the acolytes left them so rekt that they just decided to shoot the other half down while their surface shuttle was approaching the ship, destroying their loot in the process.
>>
>>44758097
Because unless if it is an entire clan of kommandos undermining perhaps literally a hive spire, that is what you send in the IG and/or Deathwatch for.
>>
>>44758097
Because outside of Freebootaz, Orks just fucking fight. How do you handle Orks? You fight them. That's a job for the IG or Astartes.

The Inquisition and--more relevant to the discussion--the elements of the Inquisition that Dark Heresy is modeled around is about investigation, plotting, scheming, and discovery. Orks don't have power within the conventional structure of the Imperium like heretics. They don't hide amongst the population like genestealers or leave behind tainted and corrupted artefacts like other xenos. They don't prey upon, tempt, and trick noble and loyal Imperials like daemons. Orks just show up randomly and start fighting, and they stop fighting when you outfight them.
>>
>>44758421
If anything at all, orks would be a smoke screen for other xenos or heretics to do their stuff.
>>
>>44758301
You can investigate on the activities of pirates to estimate routes they could take and the damage they could do if they got in contact with the imperium, follow merc groups and duly note the imperial commanders more willing to use their services, visit planets that have a sizeable feral orks presence to judge if they are reaching critical mass, keep an eye on rising orks among the tribes to preemptively kill potential warbosses that could start up a WAAAAGH, regulate tribal conflicts by helping the weaker side in order not to allow a major force to gather...

Those are all jobs you could do as the inquisition; IG has some specialists but is usually less subtle and is rarely equipped for that, DW is the obvious choice but numbers are low, and it's usually used after most of the job in those missions has been done and it's time to get dangerous.
>>
>>44758553
That is shit for generals and strategists in the IG to do.

If there are feral orks and there isn't anything of worth around them, just bombard them from orbit and send in some guard to do cleanup.
>>
>>44758620
IG gets called when it's too late for that, all of those missions happen before it's time to call in either astartes or other armed forces, it doesn't mean they don't involve violence. The IG is a reaction force, they don't go around looking for things to do like marines sometimes do.
>>
>>44757570
>Do you guys have any reoccurring characters?
>Do you guys have any connected campaigns?

This is an awful idea. It cheapens the experience of the players when they're picking through the remains of previous parties.

And why didn't the recurring NPCs solve the problem the PC's are supposed to solve already? The attention should always be on the PCs, never the NPCs.
>>
>>44758739
>This is an awful idea. It cheapens the experience of the players when they're picking through the remains of previous parties.

Fuck you I'm enjoying playing in a sector forever tarnished by our previous party's incompetence very much
>>
>>44758739

Are you stupid?
My group was giddy as hell when they realized they were visiting the tomb of a former Rogue Trader PC from our old Rogue Trader campaign.
It really helps reinforce the consequences of their actions.
>>
>>44758739
You're a moron. "If you do well, your PCs will reappear in later games as power players" is a major perk and incentive to stick it out. A persistent world is awesome for motivating PCs.
>>
>>44758946

Not him, but isn't that bringing the Elminster problem into 40k?
>>
>>44758972
Why would important people involve themselves in directly dealing with problems that peasants are more suited for, or is way under their radar because they simply deal with problems of different scales or different problems all together?
>>
>>44758972
Not really, the galaxy is fucking enormous. As an example, the PC that became an Inquisitor is constantly dealing with heretic and crap offscreen that the current PCs likely never hear about unless they get ass deep in fighting heresy or a Throne Agent hires them for something, in which case she might offer some limited help or induct them as Acolytes or Throne Agents. The planet owning RTs are caught up in running planets and/or dynastic politics. Meanwhile the PCs are trying to earn new fortunes and might get a payoff to join a former PC's bloodline, but that leads to more plot.
>>
>>44758553
Maybe 2 of those are things that Inquisitors would do.

There is no value to the Inquisition in keeping Orks around. The Inquisition is more likely to be investigating the shitbag Commissar who didnt immediately execute the Imperial Tactician who decided not to just fucking exterminate the Orks instead of trying to play ME ORKY WARBOSS POLITIK
>>
File: Spess Mehreen Pepsi.jpg (113 KB, 477x357) Image search: [Google]
Spess Mehreen Pepsi.jpg
113 KB, 477x357
>>44757570

How many major games has it been now, let's see. Not counting single episode specials, Five sequential games, one in progress, and two planned, all connected to each other. Six if you count non 40k games. Each team helping and affecting the others in different ways. It's always fascinating to see. Especially when players see a PC from a previous game, or an NPC previous players helped, and deal with as well.
>>
>>44759225
The imperial tactician doesn't play anything at all, because you not giving the ordo xenos any mission left the IG without fucking intel. And the imperium does regulate ork politics with assassins and the like when possible, because it's easier and cheaper than moving a whole fleet and army. Said so in the old assassins codex as well, and assassins move because of inquisition intel.

Are you really believing orks are not monitored because "LOL THEY'RE EVERYWHERE ANYWAY!!" ?
>>
>>44759327
>Are you really believing orks are not monitored because "LOL THEY'RE EVERYWHERE ANYWAY!!" ?

No I just understand the difference between the Inquisition and fucking military reconnaissance.
>>
>>44759327

>GM: Let's play "Sperg Brain the Ork Watcher" for our next DH game
>Players: Fuck you

Good idea anon
>>
>>44759924
Intelligence agencies can and do gather intel for the armed forces, while the IG is usually called when necassary and doesn't actively go around looking for stuff like the one I mentioned, first of all because the IG itself can't even move a ship, that was the whole point of splitting the army and the navy in the first place. The military recon you described happens when the situation has already developed in such a shitstorm that the IG gets called to intervene, the things I mentioned all happen before that.
>>
>>44760081

Oh right the Imperium is a gigantic faith-powered war machine who fights battles on tens of thousands of fronts simultaneously, but there is absolutely no military presence on any planet where Orks and humans co-habitate capable of figuring out that the largest fucking Ork is in charge and the biggest Ork warband is the most dangerous.

Stop doing mental gymnastics to fit dumb proto-fluff. "Sometimes Assassins target Orks" is the dumbest possible explanation for the idea that the Ordo Xenos gives two flying fucks about local Ork politics when there are ACTUAL XENOS THREATS who infiltrate, corrupt, and undermine the Imperium, as well millions of xenos artefacts scattered across the galaxy, any one of whose presence on an Imperial world could doom the entire populace.

But yea Warboss Brainrot is TOP FUCKING PRIORITY, Lord Inquisitor, you betcha. Idiot.
>>
>>44760272
No need to call names just because you like to think that the most present xeno threat would be ignored by the main ordo dedicated to fighting xeno threats. You seem to forget that sometimes in the IG you get shot for insinuating that Orks have infiltrators (but apparently canon is not relevant when thinking about the setting), so I really can't see how you can be so confident in the IG intel gathering, especially when an officer can't step a foot outside of a planet they're in without giving an escuse to call him traitor to whoever is looking. So you'd have an IG tactician, moving men that he shouldn't command with ships he shouldn't have, in places where they shouldn't be, to find battles they are not called to fight yet. That is quite honestly a much bigger stretch than the idea of alien experts following alien activities.

You don't want orks in your games anon, we got it, good for you that FFG thinks the same.
>>
>>44755243
>>44758301
You are unimaginative.

>>44758277
>sending new PC group after fuckup PCs

That's pretty awesome.

>>44758421
Who is going to be best to liaise between Imperial forces and Blood Axes? A bunch of Guard jarheads or specialists in human-alien relations from the Ordo Xenos?

Perhaps a group of covert operatives need to spy on an Ork camp, and local PDF are engaged or incompetent with no time to wait for Munitorum responses.

Maybe you need to determine if pesky dissolute nobles are allying with feral Ork clans to make power plays against the Governor or Imperial forces.

The Acolytes must stash their gear, pose as slaves, incite a slave revolt against the Orks, and make their escape in the confusion after killing a few key targets.

Your Inquisitor needs sample specimens of various Orkoid species, dead, alive, etc. for various experiments, or needs you to test various weapons and toxins against them to determine their effectiveness in the field.

Orks show up from the dark holds of the ship you are on, or the Space Hulk you are searching for archaeotech on.

Boarboyz cut off your route to civilization and a spaceport after going under deep cover investigating a Chaos cult in the woods of a frontier world and think you are a part of that cult, but you must convince them (through Acolytes versed in dealing with aliens in general and Orks in particular) that you are not, and convince them to allow you to lead them to the cult and make your escape afterwards, un-krumped.

This shit is not difficult. >>44758553 gets it, why don't you?

>>44758540
That's so cliche.

>>44758620
All of those operations >>44758553 listed aren't for generals and strategists, I don't know why you'd think that. Generals and strategists use information from intelligence sources (which the Inquisition could certainly act as) to direct troops against an enemy (or choose not to).

>>44758739
Stick in the mud. Just because you can't do it right doesn't mean no one can.

(cont)
>>
>>44760526
No anon you most definitely deserve to be called worse.
>>
>>44760683
(cont.)

>>44759225
There's a shitload of background about Imperial-Ork relations you clearly haven't read. Lurk moar fucking n00b.

>>44759924
I don't know if you've noticed a recurring theme in 40k about the military and all its resources being stretched thin as gossamer and acting almost purely as a reactive force, but if you haven't, you clearly haven't read enough background to claim expertise. Do what I told the other tardlet to do.

>>44760272
Sanguinius fucking wept, get more rekt.
>>
File: 1377569478075.jpg (89 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
1377569478075.jpg
89 KB, 600x510
>>44760526
>So you'd have an IG tactician, moving men that he shouldn't command with ships he shouldn't have, in places where they shouldn't be, to find battles they are not called to fight yet.

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>44760737
I can only be happy you won't ever be in charge of judging what needs to be kept under scrutiny in anything relevant to our lives
>>
>>44760272
>But yea Warboss Brainrot is TOP FUCKING PRIORITY, Lord Inquisitor, you betcha. Idiot.

>what is this? A warboss claming to be the prophet of gork and mork? LOL what a lunatic fag, just ignore him, what could go wrong?
>>
Anons confusing plot and macguffin again smdh
>>
>>44760949
>ctrl+F "politically correct", "normie", "SJW"
>literally 1 of 1 match

Why the fuck are you here, bringing this up in a thread no one else brought it up in?

mcfuckingkillyourself.jpg.
>>
>>44761037
He probably just posted on the wrong thread
>>
>>44761052
No, it is a spammer. Report every post like that you see.
>>
>>44761037
>>44761095
It's a bot. It posts that exact thing in a random thread like daily.
>>
>>44760949
While this true in magnitude, it's not true in direction.

Tabletop game designers for whatever reason are exceptionally demonstrative in various social justice efforts, to the extent that many of them happily declare themselves as such.

That said, hobby gaming clearly skews towards a queer demographic that wants better representation and is vocal when products are needlessly poor at it. To your point, this isn't a conspiracy, it's just a changing marketplace.
>>
>>44761171
>Replying to bait spam
>>
>>44760870
This is what armies are for, bruh. The Inquisition does the sneaky beaky missions.
>>
How are Untouchables in 2e?
>>
How do I challenge a cybernetically resurrected character? And it doesn't necessarily have to be through combat. He is one tough son of a bitch with 2(5 with carapace) armor and 7(5+2) TB on extremities thanks to augmentations. And challenge not as in punish, but make an encounter somehow special due to his state.

He is also the brains of the team and can get all sorts of forbidden knowledge thanks to his space station background.
>>
>>44766780
What are his stats?
>>
>>44766799
He is strong and resilient but slow. Higher than average intelligence and looks like a walking tincan/cyborg so people take notice.
>>
>>44766780
Necrons
>>
>>44763812
>still not getting the point that the imperium can't afford to destroy every ork tribe with a fleet and an army
>thinking that even if they could afford to send an expedition against every ork-held planet it would be a simple task to take them out

Just no anon, it's made perfectly clear in the fluff of the last decades that orks are everywhere and hard to remove, while the imperium is stretched thin as it is. The idea that the inquisition would either just ignore orks or have the power to "not keeping them around" like someone up thread said (implying you can just wish orks out of existence) is flat out wrong.

And before the HURR DURR EXTERMINATUS/ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT crowd comes in, planets have value, those are used when you don't care what's on the surface or the situation is so dangerous that it's the only chance left, like with daemonic incursions or nids eating everything. Nids themselves made an inquisitor use the scorched earth tactic and the imperium got mad quickly, you can't just go and ask for a fleet to pass by for every warboss you see.
>>
>>44767385
Necrons what? How is that a challenge and in what regard?
>>
>>44766780
Have him work as part of a bigger project so that he not only has to use his skills, but interact with others around him as well? You can be a combat monster and a genius, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be useful if you drop spaghetti every time there's an issue with a coworker.
>>
>>44767739
But the other players (almost) treat him like normal after the initial remarks about his being a walking bucket of bolts now.

The premise is they are going through a hospital complex in a race for survival.
>>
>>44767602
Not to mention the exterminatus itself is an expensive expedition, requireing archeotech, the displacement of a fleet, the presence and approval of both a space marine chapter fleet and an Inquisitor.
>>
I think there's some confusion between two different types of intelligence gathering. The military doesn't get involved until a military intervention has been deemed necessary. It's the job of intelligence agencies to determine whether boots on the ground. In this case, the Ordo Xenos. And given the vast bureaucracy of the Imperial Guard, I'd say it's more expeditive to employ the Ordo Xenos for such time-sensitive tasks. And before someone says "b-but the planetary garrison...!" well, the planetary garrison is likely to be a bunch of greenhorns who've never left their planet, and therefore unsuitable for effective surveillance.
>>
>>44767982

>whether the situation calls for boots on the ground*
>>
>>44767982
I dunno dude, greenhorn or not, the planetary garrison live there. Local knowledge could really help intelligence gathering efforts made by the imperium.
>>
>>44768069

You still need expert knowledge on a given xeno species to investigate and determine whether this particular group will escalate to the point of becoming a meaningful threat and exceed the capabilities of the local defenses.
>>
>>44767982
I really don't get how this is so hard to understand, or even imagine by some reactions in the thread. You need eyes everywhere you can. IG has recon elements and astartes have scouts, but even those act only when someone else got the intel to tell the regiment/chapter where they should deploy. And even then, sometimes you end up with embarassing shit like taros, where the avenging sons came in a blaze of glory to eliminate a planetary governor that wasn't there, or the raven guard itself, that assaulted the ork-held kastorel novem to find an ork on a planet full of orks, obviously without finding it, and now their planet is on the path of a heavily mechanised WAAAAAGH! .

A full blown WAAAAGH starts when orks reach critical mass, that means they most probably took one planet already, and it basically never stops after one or two, or it wouldn't be a WAAAAGH at all, so the notion that orks are not a threat because Governor McFuckinstein choosing to evade taxes for a few months because he needs money to buy himself a banshee harem from some DE slave trader is more important makes no sense. Yes, I realize there are legitimate alien threats, that's the reason why the ordo xenos is one of the main branches. And somehow we should believe that the alien specialists are not the ones keeping an eye on aliens?
>>
>>44768092
Fair point. I suppose the Ordo Xenos could always strong-arm the garrison into handing them a couple of men to supplement their investigations when/if local knowledge becomes relevant.
>>
>>44768122
Of course, I never said that these mission would preclude IG veterans to be gathered to work alongside the more subtle elements of the cell, just that there wouldn't be a whole army behind them.
>>
What is a party held by nobles living in an upper spire like? Assuming none of them are knowingly heretics.
>>
>>44768145
If anything, those IG vets could be the inquisition cell. Get some guys from a recent campaign against orks and just have them do the watching.
>>
>>44768162
Pretty fucking fancy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.