[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to make a Lawful Evil Paladin that worships a Lawful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: LOOP DE LOOP.png (73 KB, 959x573) Image search: [Google]
LOOP DE LOOP.png
73 KB, 959x573
So I want to make a Lawful Evil Paladin that worships a Lawful Good God. Is that allowed?
>>
>>44700499
Ask your DM.
>>
Depends on the edition.

Paladins of Tyranny was a thing in 3.5 I believe and they're LE paladins.
>>
>>44700515
He says he doesn't think that is possible but he is kind of new.

>>44700518
5E
>>
>>44700565
If he says it's not possible it's not possible.
>>
>>44700565
>5E
There isn't an alignment restriction in 5E. By book it's fine.
>>
>>44700606
/thread
>>
>>44700499
AFAIK you have to sit within 1 alignment position of your god to be a faithful worshiper.

That said: you can be a LE paladin of a LN god like Kelemvor, which is a double ironic, because Kelemvor was, in life, a LG paladin who killed the old LE god of death, to become a LN god of death.

Make your PC someone whose family worshiped the OLD LE god of death, and when Kelemvor killed their god, decided to ride out the religious tumult and converted to worshiping the new LN god.
>>
>>44700649
Wut?
Kelvmore was a sword for hire. Cursed to do nothing for free.
He didn't kill myrukl. The female mage did.

Nigga, wtf?
>>
>>44700606
/thread

Though this is /tg/, so there's probably going to be a 350 post thread shit-flinging about alignments. And since your question is easily answered in the book you didn't read, I'll assume this is bait.

>>44700649
Not quite. In 3.5 you would have to be a Paladin of Tyranny from Unearthed Arcana for LE, while if you were a cleric you had to be within one position of your god to be faithful. That said, 3.5 paladins don't get their powers from gods, so it's a completely mute point.
>>
>>44700518
Yup. 3.5 had paladins for all of the 4 corner alignments.
>Paladin of Justice - LG
>Paladin of Freedom - CG
>Paladin of Tyranny - LE
>Paladin of Slaughter - CE

4E went ahead just used paladin as the term for the heavily armored warriors devoted to the gods, and so there were paladins of all alignments since there were paladins of all gods.

And then 5E just waved their hands and said, 'Alignment don't mean shit for a paladin. Nigga just keeps to his code, and he's chillax.' In fact, they outright state that paladins of vengeance are rarely LG as they are 'willing to sacrifice their own righteousness to mete out justice.'

As one might expect from a group whose code of conduct is simply obeying:
>Fight the Greater Evil
>No Mercy for the Wicked
>By Any Means Necessary
>Restituion

I mean, the third is even written with fact that 'My qualms can't get in the way of EXTERMINATING my foes.
>>
>>44700499
Paladins need to be Lawful Good; but they're Good before they're Lawful.

Generally speaking, Clerics need to be within one step of their gods alignment. Some gods have custom alignment restrictions (typically forbidding certain alignment(s) within one step of them, though occasionally allowing certain alignment(s) 2 or more steps away).

All that aside, see >>44700589
>>
>>44700565
I mean, since it's a tabletop game and you can houserule anything you want, it doesn't matter whether he thinks it's possible or not. Just ask him if, in you're setting, a LE paladin worshiping a LG god makes sense, and then ask if he's alright with you playing a LE paladin.

Really, fudging the rules for paladin alignment isn't that big a deal, the bigger issue is if you're DM's okay with you playing an evil character. Especially if he's kind of new.
>>
>>44700950
Mute point should be moot point

Sorry for being a faggot, just figure I can be a polite faggot anonymously here to save you the trouble later.

Unless it was a typo in which case feel free to get uppity with me or something, idc.
>>
>>44700499
>sticking to that horrible alignment system
If you can think of a good reason why a character would do something, don't let some ass-backwards mechanic stop you.
>>
>>44700499

LE evil divinely empowered people aren't Paladins. They're Blackguards (or Oathbreakers or whatever your localized variant is).

A Paladin is always Lawful and Good. Gods also don't take kindly to their chosen champions on the mortal plane actually not upholding their ways.
>>
>>44700565
This is not a matter of being new very few DMS would allow this.
>>
>>44700499
Just do what the scum of the catholics do and you're golden.
>>
>>44700950
>if you were a cleric you had to be within one position of your god to be faithful.
That always looked pretty stupid to me.
How can you be considered faithful if you don't respect your god's teachings. It's supposed to be religion in a setting where you can be in direct contact with your god with minimal effort, not a a la carte choice.
>>
>>44700499
Daily reminder that according to Gygax, you can exterminate the women and child as retaliation and still be LG.
>>
File: vampires for palor.png (322 KB, 1003x3232) Image search: [Google]
vampires for palor.png
322 KB, 1003x3232
>>44700499
>>
>>44711469
Was that really 5 and a bit years ago? Fuck...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.