[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Life Quest (DLQ) 29 - Lend A Hand Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: Family Motto.png (31 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
Family Motto.png
31 KB, 600x700
ARCHIVE: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon%20Life%20Quest
PREVIOUS THREAD: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/44667839/
CHARACTERS AND PLACES: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19gNVgtevar647l4ZumUaVH6GlJzvxLlDNKaH8DrQMWE/edit?usp=sharing

You are Brianna la Croix, journeyman necromancer, and your lover's father - just rescued from prison - has chosen to spend his first day of freedom blaming himself for his daughter's problems.

Sad thing is, you know the feeling. Misery just loves company, doesn't it?
>>
File: 1450118821924.jpg (102 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1450118821924.jpg
102 KB, 500x450
>>44697959
"Look," you tell Larry. "It doesn't matter. It's been three years now, and you can drive yourself to insanity and drink with 'what if' on your own time. Does Amy seem unhappy to you?"

"...No," Larry admits, nodding thoughtfully. "Maybe a bit burdened, but I get the feeling that you have something to do with that."

"She's helping me with something important," you agree. "...There's something wrong with the Dungeon. Not just here, everywhere. And I'm fixing it."

"Once upon a time, I wouldn't think Amy would commit to something like that," her father tells you; he takes a sip of his coffee and sets the cup down. "She was always...flighty. Excited. Not faithless, exactly, just easily distracted. But I see a fire in her eyes now that wasn't there before. Like she has something to believe in."

You cough and turn away. "Wow. That's. Not awkward at all."

Larry laughs. "Amy was always trying to think of the future. She never quite knew what she wanted, but she never stopped looking. Now I think she's found it. Brianna -"

"Bri," you correct. "Please, call me Bri."

"Bri. How can I help best, here in the Mine?"

> The front lines
> Interfacing with the Miners
> You've done enough
> Write-in
>>
>>44698253
>>
Repeating my previous call for Audionon as well; the bossmen are still potentially interested in this quest and I'd like to be able to show them your work.
>>
>>44698253
>I may actually prefer you in the Roost, they could give a lot of bloody help right now.
>>
>>44698253
>how much do you know about prosthetic legs?
>>
>>44698509
Presuming he does know anything, designing a proper prosthetic will require time in which both he and Nathan are doing very little else (to say nothing of wanting or needing healers on hand). It's not really a right-now sort of task, and Larry's looking to see what his role should be in the ongoing effort to retake the Mine.
>>
>>44698253
>> Interfacing with the Miners
Delegate stuff to somebody the miners already know.
>>
>>44698253
>> Interfacing with the Miners

>>44698509
Good thinking, but we can ask him about good prosthetics during the interlude. I suspect these things take time. We need to focus on the Mine for now.
>>
>>44698636
Oh, well in that case.

>>
>>44698253
I'd say he's done enough but I get the feeling he'd not accept that.
>>
>>44698636
Vox, how do I deal with my strong sexual attraction to you?
>>
>>44699005
The same way all people on /tg/ deal with there sexual attractions, by writing shitty fan fiction, smut, and lewd drawings as offerings.
>>
File: 86KWU4g.gif (776 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
86KWU4g.gif
776 KB, 500x273
>>44699005
>>44699029
>>
>>44699005
Vox can't help you there, you have to let your imagination roam and take the matter in your own hand(s).
>>
>>44699057

Don't look Vox, it's like staring into the sun. You'll only hurt yourself in the attempt.
>>
Votes called, writing. Thank you for your patience.
>>
File: 1406896952285.jpg (62 KB, 153x317) Image search: [Google]
1406896952285.jpg
62 KB, 153x317
>>44699005
>>44699029
Vox is not for lewds.
>>
File: 1451276383066.jpg (34 KB, 624x720) Image search: [Google]
1451276383066.jpg
34 KB, 624x720
>>
>>44699350
I don't know. Where does Vox live? I'm going to drive down and romance him like in one of my japanese animes.
>>
File: 1450495222846.jpg (75 KB, 454x623) Image search: [Google]
1450495222846.jpg
75 KB, 454x623
>>44698253
You consider the question for a moment. On the one hand, he's clearly already done enough. On the other hand, if he actually accepts that reasoning from you, you'll eat your fucking hat.

"How well would you say the Miners respect you?" you ask.

"I have a solid reputation," the sorcerer says proudly. "I do good work, and I've helped save good men, from cave-ins and worse. I have friends in every company."

"Then honestly? I need you here, keeping the peace between the Miners and helping to get them on board with my plans," you tell him. "We've got some shit to do, and I'm gonna need men willing to fight and die."

"Fair," he muses. "I can get started on that now, if you know what you'd like. Also, Miss Silence is in town. She went looking for...your other lover...and gave him something."

You make a little 'huh' sound.

> "Ask the Miners to get ready to assault the Shaft."
> "Ask the Miners to get ready to assault the entrance to the Roost."

And

> Invite Silence here
> Go looking for her after the hands
> Ignore Silence
>>
>>44699851
> Invite Silence to a neutral place

Don't invite the Fae in, but try not to go to them either. Also, we should see if they have a specific type of food, coffee/tea, or tobacco that they enjoy and strive to provide it. It's rude to refuse it, not to mention they love little pleasures, and it immediately puts them in your debt.

I wish we had a hard with us as well. Hell, we could try to get away with Amy singing but the Fae are susceptible enough to regular music. She might not be happy about the enchanting effect of a harpies song, or we would have to warn her and that might put her more on her guard.
>>
>>44699851
Calming the Roost should help with the rest of the floors. We don't know that all it's blocked off on all floors, after all.
As an Anon said, she'd probably be quite happy with the reward of being involved in taking out the Baron. She probably wouldn't be happy watching necromancy though, I feel.
>>
>>44699988
>Hell, we could try to get away with Amy singing but the Fae are susceptible enough to regular music
I'm not sure we've heard anything about fey and music in this setting?
>>
>>44699851
>>44699988

Oh and > "Ask the Miners to get ready to assault the entrance to the Roost."

I'd rather cut off the Baron from backup and maybe get our own before facing him and possibly Lora. I would really like to have our Shadow go and assassinate him if possible while he is weak. Should have seen if Lora knew if he was aware of his loss of invincibility.
>>
>>44700026
I assumed we were going hard traditional as per the previous instructions on how to deal with her. No payment, no thanks, gifts are given and oaths are sacred. Outright lies are a terrible idea but a half truth is acceptable and she might even enjoy playing the game if she does catch us in one.
>>
>>44699851

>>44699989
we should probably save the roost until after the Baron is dead.
>>
>>44699851
The Roost is walled off, isn't it? Better to deal with it once this area is secured.

> Invite Silence here
It's a good mirror to her invitation earlier, and hospitality cuts both ways. Plus, as the fae go, Silence seems pretty okay.
>>
>>44699851
And
>>
>>44700119
I forgot that New Hell is the next floor down, which makes "the Shaft" part of "the Mine", which means we should have the miners prepare for the Shaft first.
Not being ignorant of the floors, I'll change >>44699989 to
>>
Called, writing. Narrow victory for seeking her after the hands.
>>
File: 1448343308514.jpg (136 KB, 799x650) Image search: [Google]
1448343308514.jpg
136 KB, 799x650
>>44699851
"Getting started now would be good," you agree at last. "I can get more reinforcements, but we need the Shaft clear. Get them on board with that, find out everything people know about the Baron's defenses there, and then get me no more than four people to talk to about coordinating."

"Understood," Larry agrees. "Thank you for the coffee."

"My pleasure. You may want to leave; I have necromancy to do."

"Actually," Larry tells you, "I'd been intending to offer my help with that."

"You're a necromancer?" you ask.

"No, but I can dig a grave."

"...Sure," you agree, softly. "And it's appreciated."

You shrug on your coat and wait for Larry to finish his coffee. You've got grisly work to do.

You drag the necromancer's body to the back of the room and tie a cloth over your mouth and nose. Larry stays back while you hack the corpse's hands off and set them aside.

"Lark, there a good place to bury this guy?" you ask.

"The barn works," the elf says softly. "He wouldn't be the first."

"Dangerous business?" you ask.

"Limited space."

Larry kneels and takes a small garden shovel out from his coat. He stabs it into the earth, and from it extends a wide, deep grave, six feet down. The earth ripples as it moves in response to the sorcerer's will.

"Damn," you say, impressed.

"I like to think of myself as competent."

> Bury the necromancer without comment
> Say a few words
>>
>>44701265
> Say a few words

So, I need an extra pair of hands and figured if anyone would know what that's like, it would be you. Which is why I'm borrowing yours. I wish I had gotten to know you before you went full zombie army so that I could have maybe saved you from getting shake, but who knows I'm trying to do the right thing and it still might happen to me too.

Save a drink for me on the other side and when I get there we can swap stories. And thanks for the hands.
>>
>>44701265
>> Say a few words
>>
>>44701265
>Say a few words
>>
>>44701337
Shake is shanked. My phone apparently isn't gangster.
>>
> Bury the necromancer without comment

what are we going to say? "i knew thee well...for about 10 seconds before my shadow crushed your skull like a melon and splattered all over me, farewell."
>>
>>44701265
Sorry you had to die but thems the breaks. And no offense, but please don't come back.
>>
>>44701265
>Bury the necromancer without comment
>>
>>44701265
> Say a few words
He deserves our professional respect, if not necessarily our personal respect.
>>
>>44701393
Well, >>44701612 isn't bad. We of all people know this isn't the end. We could at least thank him for the hands.
>>
>>44701265
> Say a few words

Might reassure Larry if nothing else.
>>
>>44701265
>Say a few words
He was a right crazy bastard who violated the laws of death, but he still managed to die with some dignity and no one chooses to be born.
>>
>>44701265
Since say a few words is winning, can you promise me not to do any hand puns?
>>
>>44701265
>> Say a few words
>>
>>44701265
> Say a few words
Thank him for the hands.
>>
>>44701265
> Say a few words
>>
Called, writing.

Sorry for the delays today, folks. I appreciate your patience.
>>
File: Elements of Alchemy 2.png (9 KB, 647x394) Image search: [Google]
Elements of Alchemy 2.png
9 KB, 647x394
>>44702362
so Vox, is your Elements complicated enough to warrant its own googledocs?
>>
>>44702422

>star isn't the most matter

Fucking what.
>>
>>44702422
"Elementals" is gonna be closer to a D&D or WoW-like conception of the idea; they're animistic in nature, spirits that form bodies from a near-Platonic concept of a thing and then take that body around doing shit. They show up infrequently in the Iron Lands, generally doing what the fuck ever, and are not always inimical to mortals. They also don't experience conventional pain or death so there's quite a bit of hunting-them-down that happens to get at the materials.

TL;DR I'm not doing an alchemy system, think of them as incarnate /stuff/ with commonly repeating forms.
>>
>>44702482
> Water is more matter than rime
i.e. ice, the solid form of water
>>
>>44702516

No, that makes sense, given that water actually is denser than ice.

The only thing denser than a star is a black hole.
>>
>>44702508
> incarnate /stuff/
Any kind of stuff, or just, pardon, "elemental" stuff? Like, are there trash and coffee elementals, or fairly high-concept natural material?
>>
>>44699589
Vox is a lich. He doesn't live.
>>
>>44702560
Generally at the point where humans have to make it, it stops being an elemental. You'll see stuff like ice elementals and molten metal (forge beasts; they're rough and typically violent), but as a general rule it has to be able to occur without the intervention of sapient life before you get an elemental of it.

It is also notable that there are no observed cases of "magic" elementals, nor death elementals, though it might be argued that angels fill both roles.
>>
>>44702534
I mean, maybe? But if the opposing axes to matter is energy (which I guess is to supposed to explain the star as being a balance of matter and energy?), ice sure as hell has less energy than water even if it's less mass/matter per volume.

Long story short: anon picked a good example of "elements complicated enough to warrant its own googledocs"
>>
>>44702604
Still want to bone him
>>
>>44702665
Too late, he is already boned.
>>
>>44702626

Ugh. Star should really be the most extreme point on both ends of the matter/energy axis, unless the positions are only internally relative (as in it goes by the matter-energy ratio rather than their absolute values).
>>
>>44702702
yeah, well i want him to stick his wenis in me
>>
>>44702761
Woohoo, elbow sex.
>>
>>44702761
>wenis
skin, not bone
>>
>>44702482
>>44702516
I wasn't going to retort because it's off topic, but I see you guys did it on your own...

>star isn't the most matter
star is constantly undergoing nuclear fusion, that sounds to me like a constant flux/combination between energy and matter.

>Water is more matter than rime
>rime
>an accumulation of granular ice tufts on the windward sides of exposed objects that is formed from supercooled fog or cloud and built out directly against the wind
connection to wind and water, and it sounds way better than "cold"

>>44702626
> ice sure as hell has less energy than water even if it's less mass/matter per volume.
it's also on the "Fluid" end. That is, the LACK of energy and/or taking it away from others. Technically the correct term would be Dispersal, but it sounds really bad.

>>44702738
and I am trying to balance pseudo-science with shorthands and "stuff that sounds just foreign enough to be mystical"

Besides, people from the setting can't use RL knowledge, or are necessarily right, hence multiple interpretations
>>
>>44702868
Sorry to be such a pedantic asshole about it, but can understand our problems with the presentation? Without a legend for the axes, or clarifying that it's ratio rather than absolute quantity, it's a bit hard to follow.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of elementals are actually _practical_ for prosthetics. Stone's been discussed, metal could make sense even if we don't go full wraithsteel, wood would be light-weight and a little more alive.

Of course, if we _do_ end up killing a dragon, we _have_ to save its many, many parts for things like this. Being more-or-less elemental could mean dragon bits would have a lot of the same benefits as elemental matter as far as not killing the recipient.
>>
>>44702978
well that's the problem, innit? Trying to explain everything with only a picture and as few words as possible. I'm well aware of the problems you have with it, but I have yet to find a solution that isn't wordswordswords.

As for being on-topic:
I'm thinking of a mix of wood-stone-water.

stone for strength and balancing out his center of gravity
water and wood to get some life back into him and perhaps interface with his blood. Also, having part of it NOT be brittle may be prudent.
wood to reduce weight/create more surface area, since he might have (more)problems swimming.

No metal because I don't like the idea of tetanus, and he's already kitted out in quite a bit of metal.
>>
>>44703106
Or y'know, we could like ask Nathan his preference (other than 'no I'm good') and go with that?
>>
>>44703211
but you know that's what he'll say, and everyone will know he just wants wraithsteel anyway
>>
>>44703106
>I have yet to find a solution that isn't wordswordswords.
Personally, I'd say the standard for figures of any kind is to start by defining the axes.
>I'm thinking of a mix of wood-stone-water.
That's a point. The whole reason elementals originally came up waaaaay back when we were trying to help Amy was because this is _grafting_, not just strapping a magical ankle to the guy. Can we graft parts of elementals together? Does this lead to zombie armies?
>>
>>44703255
>and everyone will know he just wants wraithsteel anyway

I think he's said, or at least I remember Vox saying that he'd prefer to use it on Amy and that using it on his leg would be a waste. I don't think he'll ask for a wraithsteel pegleg.
>>
File: 1440507888862.png (612 KB, 900x1040) Image search: [Google]
1440507888862.png
612 KB, 900x1040
>>44701265
Amy's father helps you lower the necromancer into his grave, and you look at the corpse with a distant sense of...not loss, precisely, but regrets.

"It's a damn shame," you murmur. "That spell was a hell of a bit of work. Commanding all those minions, them keeping complex orders after your death? That was great work. This shoulda gone another way, and I'm sorry it couldn't."

You drop a cigarette into the grave; it lands on his chest. "Light one up for me and save a seat at the bar. We can have it out when I show up to meet ya."

Larry waits patiently, and after a long moment, you nod at him. The soil fills the grave back in, gently, and at your direction the sorcerer forms a small cross of hard-packed dirt at the head of it.

"Rest in peace," you say softly. "You've paid your debts."

"Dare I ask why you cut his hands off?" Larry asks.

"I'm going to make them my undead servants," you tell him, with a mild tone. "I will possibly give them sarcastic names, but maybe not. I named Fetch after the first thing he ever did for me."

"Huh," Larry notes. "...I think I'm going to leave now."

"Good plan."

Making an undead hand - you despise the term 'crawling claw', fuck whatever wrist-slitting teenager coined that - is a simple enough process, though the end of the ritual leaves you with a handage around one palm and a certain soreness in your chest.

The issue is containing their eagerness afterwards. The hands skitter everywhere, exploring like puppies in a new home. You whistle, hard, and they scurry to your side.

"In the backpack," you tell them, and they scramble up and vanish into your pack.

Oi. Fetch needs to discipline these two fast.
>>
>>44703343
He'd "prefer" if it went to Amy, but you know he craves it like a little boy craves sweets

There's a difference between what he wants and what he's willing to admit he wants, for reasons of practicality/efficiency.
>>
>>44703392
I like the idea of mixing the wraith steel in with a fake foot. Like use it for tendons/muscles since it can apparently move on its own as seen with his sword. Use regular steel or wood for the bones and then wrap a shell of steel "skin" around it.
>>
>>44703469
I wonder if we could somehow find fossilized wood. That shit is hard as fuck.

Wait. Can we make undead trees?

> Suddenly the wooden beams in the bbegs lair come alive and attack him.
>>
File: 1450116658399.jpg (69 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1450116658399.jpg
69 KB, 422x600
>>44703378
Outside, the Company Store is solemn and quiet. The Miners give you a wide berth and avoid stepping in your path. You've seen this before.

Usually shortly before you're run out of town.

You adjust your hat on your head and try your best not to visibly express your irritation. This is a normal reaction, after all. This isn't anything new. It's not...

It's not like you've spent the entirety of your life with assholes you helped spitting on you for how you chose to do it.

Fuckers.

You find Silence lounging against the outside of a general store, chewing something and sometimes stopping to spit a dark liquid. She looks up and quirks an eyebrow at you when you approach.

"Snuff?" you ask.

"Coal," she corrects, spitting black tar to the side. "Nice to see you're well. I delivered your Hero his bounty. He seemed excited."

"You're not?" you ask.

Silence shrugs. "Wraithsteel comes and goes, I've found. Every time I've forged myself a tool or a weapon I've passed it on to some kindly soul or heroic adventurer, or had it stolen. I'm happy, sure, but excited? Nah."

"How old /are/ you?" you ask, curiously.

"As old as my tongue, and a bit younger than my teeth," the fey woman replies coolly. "Seems like you pissed the Baron off. You want me and mine with the rest, or doing something else?"

> Support the Shaft assault
> Scout the Baron's defenses
>>
>>44703616

We have a shadow for scouting. We should also ask about her interest in coal, it's kind of different. Is there better/worse coal?

I mean, this Fae gives out wraith steel weapons. Can't hurt to send her little gifts if we run into stuff.

We should also ask her if she knows about Lora.
>>
>>44703616
>>
>>44703616
>Support the Shaft assault
>>
File: carlos.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>44703616
The baron is about to get shafted.
>>
>>
>>44703616
>>
>>44703865
And Vox is about to get my shaft.
>>
>>44703975
For shame, anon. You're supposed to woo me first.

At least take me out for coffee.

PRECIOUS.

FUCKING.

COFFEE.
>>
>>44704024
Is Bri a self-insert?
I feel you two shared certain interests.
>>
>>44704063
Vox is Bri.

Nathan is Questing.

Amy is life.

Talon is working retail.
>>
>>44704063
Eh. I'm not gonna say there's no part of me in her, but honestly her coffee thing is a bit of a callback to Louisiana culture with a strong dash of those folks you find at diners, smoking quietly and drinking their coffee, needing to be someplace else and unwilling to go there just yet.

Votes called, writing.
>>
File: Bri Recruits Minions.jpg (179 KB, 500x673) Image search: [Google]
Bri Recruits Minions.jpg
179 KB, 500x673
>>44703616
"Honestly? The faster we can get the Shaft clear, the better off this is gonna be. I'm getting the feeling that storming the Baron's compound is gonna be a bitch."

"It will be," Silence promises. "People are going to die, probably in agony."

"Yeah. So I'm gonna call in reinforcements from the Basement, maybe the Lichyard, and see what we can't do about that. It might take them a day or two, since the messenger needs to get to them, get them around, and get 'em back down here, but..."

"But it's better than nothing," Silence agrees. "Good thinking." Those coal-gripped eyes search your face. "Bad day?"

"It was going great, right up until I stepped outside."

"Yeah, that'll do it. You wanna walk and talk a bit, heritor?"

You stare. She cocks an eyebrow.

> ...Sure.
> No.
>>
>>44704273
> ...Sure.
>>
>>44704273
> ...Sure.
>>
> ...Sure
Wat.

We're not letting that drop.
>>
File: Ara ara.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ara ara.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
>>44704273
>The faster we can get the Shaft clear,
>>
>>44704273

> ...Sure.

She's fey. She tortured it out of one of the Overseers.
>>
>>44704273
>> ...Sure.
>>
Votes called, writing may be mildly delayed by the sudden appearance of chores at two in the fucking morning.

I do not know how this keeps happening to me.
>>
File: 1449514321996.jpg (112 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1449514321996.jpg
112 KB, 572x303
>>44704273
Somehow, the quiet between the two of you is almost unbearably smug.

"Y'know what, sure," you finally tell her. "Let's go talk."

You tuck your hands into your pockets; Silence pops a coal into her mouth and follows suit, chewing quietly while the two of you walk to the fringes of the Store. The fey woman seems perfectly, irritatingly at ease, and you can't help but shoot glances at her, wondering what the hell it is she knows or thinks she knows.

"Centuries of adventurers and they all eventually get that look on their face," Silence notes mildly, as the two of you reach the lake at the center of the Store and stand along the dock. She spits black liquid into the water and looks at you with a cocked eyebrow. "In case you're wondering, I can taste it on you. Your title. It's as plain to me as the color of your eyes or the words you mean to say and don't."

"What do you -"

"My name is /Silence/, la Croix," the fey says, emphasizing the word. "I wasn't always sworn to the Mine. I wasn't always a boss. And I don't say that to imply some kind of wistful longing for bygone days, but I think you know, like I know, that who you /were/ is part of who you /are/ and who you /will be/, yes?"

"Do you know who gave me that title?" you ask, carefully.

"No. And I don't care either. What I care about is the fact that you'll eventually own this Mine. This place is my home, la Croix. I'm sworn to its good. Not the Dungeon's good, the Mine's. You understand me? If I become convinced that you're bad for the Mine, you and I are gonna have a problem of the excessively lethal variety, and I gotta tell you, I've had a long time to get good at dancing with death. You ain't gonna be the one to take me down, stripling."

You fold your arms across your chest.

> You seem awfully defensive.
> And what, exactly, is /good/ for the Mine?
> You proposing something, Silence?
>>
>>44704978
>>
>>44704978

Here we go, terms...
>>
>>44704978
>> You proposing something, Silence?
>>
>>44704978

I'm tempted to ask if she can see how long we hold the mine. It might make her somewhat calmer if she knew we were going to pass it on to Lark or her in quick order (assuming that we will do either of those, of course).
>>
File: Passed it.jpg (12 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
Passed it.jpg
12 KB, 198x255
Alright folks. I was trying to stay up to keep running but I'm still kinda wiped and honestly I should probably get some real sleep before I end up having to go to work tomorrow. I'ma leave the vote open overnight, and I'll see ya'll in about eight hours. I'm leaving the thread unarchived for the time being.

As always, discussion, questions, comments, criticisms, and feedback are both welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all for reading and participating!

Even you, somewhat concerning lewd anon.
>>
>>44704978
>> And what, exactly, is /good/ for the Mine?
like seriously, we're new here, and we aren't about to ignore that
>> You proposing something, Silence?
>>
>>44705134
>somewhat
Oh no Vox, if it's only somewhat you are woefully unprepared!
>>
>>44704978
>>
>>44704978
>>
>>44704978

Does she plan to run the Mine forever?
>>

also confirmed that we are inheriting the dungeon from lora.
>>
>>44704978
>You proposing something, Silence?
She probably wants to retain her independence, and these rough-and-tumble miners are /her/ people. She's been around to watch them be born, grow up, have children of their own, and die, hundreds of times. Silence is a lot like Lora, in a fashion. If we can respect the traditions and lives of these people, we will not have any problems with this bigass coal-chewing Fae.

I love how little Silence cares for wealth or material possessions. Maybe we could interest her in some stories. She'd probably love to swap tales.

Also, I totally vote to give one of the skelehands some bone knuckledusters and the other some claws.
>>
>>44705134
You are so fucking based Vox, it's not even funny.

It's like you're in my head. In my heart. In my pants.
>>
>>44706302
>You are so fucking based Vox, it's not even funny.

>It's like you're in my head. In my heart. In my pants.

Seconding this :)
>>
So, uh. Vox told me people were asking about my quest in the thread? I have no other way to tell y'all things so. Uh. Hi. Guess this works? My quest is... On hold, at present, to be either reworked or scrapped for the time being (though as I enjoy the setting it will probably be revisited eventually). I liked running it, and I had a good group of voters; those who were posting in it have my thanks. Tricky thing was we also got /repeatedly/ screwed by the mechanics I was using, except when we got a magic weapon out of it, hence my considering going 'Lessons learned, time to move on to the next thing'.

However. That is not why it got put on hold in the first place. Those who were following probably recall that my last update mentioned 'Relationship drama. On my fucking birthday.' (Yes, I was running on my birthday. Didn't have anything better to do and it was scheduled.). That kind of continued a while, and then... Well. I met some neat people, which in itself would not have been a problem, but those people kind of had the usual thing with my friends of having all sorts of, as Vox mentioned before 'Pasts, with the capital'. Between the one whose girlfriend of several years broke up with her the morning of Christmas Eve and the ones with worse issues, I was run rather ragged. And once that stopped being as much the case, I was looking at maybe reworking it.

Anyway, I'm a regular reader, when I can be, so might as well vote. And, uh. Apologies if they're warranted? I got poked that I should address that and I don't know how else to do so but I also feel awkward as hell posting about my quest in Vox's thread, even if that was where the question was asked and I don't know what else I'd do, since making a whole thread just to explain would be even worse. And then would probably still need to be linked here just to be sure people saw it.

Seconding >>44705176

> And what, exactly, is /good/ for the Mine; you proposing something, Silence?
>>
>>44706799
Fucking thread ate my trip. After I specifically put it in there and made sure it was right. What the hell? (Also, for those bemused, this is the person who was running Basement Delve Quest. Which was mentioned a couple of times before in other threads.)
>>
>>44706799
>>44706838
err, let me get this straight
>screwed by mechanics
>Lessons learned, time to move on to the next thing
>RL shenanigans
>LOTS of RL shenanigans

that's cool.

A shame that the original person asking was on wqdt, which is now archived.
>>
>>44706799
I liked it, for what its worth. The Ogre being a parasitic monstrosity was nice, and I've always like my magic items to be subtle instead of flashy. I'm not big on mechanics either, and honestly prefer fluff to crunch.

Vox has always handled things well; if we fuck up, we fuck up, but there's always hope. A lot of other quests don't have such luck. I've never trusted the dice rolling for /tg/ anyway, so maybe just have your next story driven by narrative rather than try to play it like an online table-top. I wouldn't be averse to reading and participating in your thread, that is, if you decide to run another quest.
>>
>>44706853
That is approximately accurate, yes. I'm not sure what my next idea is going to be, though likely I will be less seat-of-the-pantsing it; still narrative freedom, but not as... Undefined in terms of the places you're going and who you might meet; literally everything in those threads was come up with on the fly as we moved from one section to the next, including the loot on the hellbeast that was fought, since I was combining 'roll for how well this generally goes' and 'don't have anything specific planned to reflect the nature of the Basement as a shifting hellscape trying to kill you'.

>>44706868
Glad to hear it. Though I will say that, A, the idea was not entirely (though I did add suggestions later, in the second thread of the setting riff) mine, and B, the Ogre was not mine at all - that was something I took from the setting thread that inspired the Dungeon, which can be found here: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?391379-setting-riff-Voices-From-Below-and-the-Long-Stairs

(The magic items, however, while the first two were minor and fairly generic, being basically 'X of Protection' and 'Y of Nightvision', were all me. I was going to run on the idea of anything powerful having some characteristics of its own, personalitywise; the wand you got was easy to go overboard with in the moment. Your rifle fit you, but if you had given it to someone else, they would have described it as having a longing about it, a thirst to prove itself by spilling blood and besting impossible odds. And the ring actually talked to you, in addition to warping your outlook.)

In any case, yes. I think that I'll probably do less rolling in my next thing, whatever it is. Maybe even another thread of BDQ. At the same time, though... I don't know. It felt like it was too much and too consistent that we got fucked, but I did like the randomness; it made me think about things more than I might have otherwise, but at the same time, provided parameters. Hard to say.
>>
>>44707083
I admit, I've always liked dice randomness since I like my RPGs, but it has some side effects when a dozen people all get a shitty roll at once.

If you do decide to go narrative-based like Vox and Hunter, good luck. I don't know how they can freeform so much without going insane trying to cover all the angles.
>>
>>44707422
Same here, but... I think the way I implemented it needed some changes. My rolls always seemed to be terrible, and I was rolling for rough success in not getting hit by traps/ambushed/etc. as we went through, hence our getting ambushed, cut off from the way back, wearing a cursed ring, lost, and trapped in an underground river within the course of our first fight and the scene after.

And yeah. Same here. I have some freeform RP experience, but... I'm uncomfortable being both sides without an impartial metric, to make sure I don't go too easy on people or make anything impossible to kill?
>>
>>44707083
Free form is good, but difficult to pull off. You could start off by giving folks a goal to work toward, and keeping things segmented; for example, if our mission in your thread had been to rescue a specific member of a lost expedition (roll to generate; doctor, scientist, occultist, agent, etc.), and we have a choice to start in one of three locations...and just work from there.

You anon's would have choices they can make, and the consequences of those decisions would determine what direction the character goes. The whole goal to DLQ has been to free Lora by defeating the Chain-Holders. That was the basic premise, and Vox was expecting something /much/ different from what he got.

It also helps if you change things up. Fill your Dungeon with basic concepts and then give them a personal twist, like a Labyrinth. A lot of your participating anons might be expecting a traditional dungeon crawl with minotaurs and goblins and a shiny chest of gold at the end. But lo! Turns out your Labyrinth is a gigantic spherical machine of steel and glass that automatically shifts and changes every hour. And instead of minotaurs and goblins, its filled with clockwork automatons, with death-traps made of buzz saws and Tesla coils. And instead of a chest full of magical bouillon, there's a howling portal to the extra-dimensional realm of Yag-Sathoth the Gibbering Prince.
>>
>>44708264
And then turns out you're supposed to keep the portal shut, and keep those wannabe evil overlords and cultists from opening the portal and contacting Yag-Sathoth.
He gave specific instructions to keep his trimillenial rest undisturbed, and as Chosen Avatar of Yag-Sathoth, well, we gotta do it.
>>
I'm alive.

Chores, then writing.
>>

Let's hear it. Bri's not exactly gripping to the idea of ruling over the dungeon.
>>
>>44709007
For a given definition of "alive". Does "animate" fall under that category?
>>
File: Rustborne_Aquilae_by_Mr__Jack.jpg (233 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Rustborne_Aquilae_by_Mr__Jack.jpg
233 KB, 600x900
>>44704978
"Somehow," you tell the fey woman slowly, "despite the fact that you literally just threatened me to my face, I don't think you're threatening me. That sounds like a proposal."

"She learns," Silence agrees. The towering fey moves her coal in her mouth and swallows it before spitting a thin trickle of that black, tarry liquid - that can't be saliva - into the water. "If you had to guess, what would you say I'm proposing?"

"I dunno, rulership over the Mine?" you hazard.

Miss Silence laughs, and it's like silver bells down a shaft - like an echo of joy, glimmering and bright, in the mouth of a cave.

Something you know you shouldn't follow, but isn't it /pretty/.

"That'd be a hell of a thing. A servant boss? No, heritor, I don't wanna rule the Mine. No one rules the Mine. No one rules the Dungeon either, not even who or whatever owns it. And, I think, that's what I'm getting at." Silence squats on her heels - the bend of her limbs makes her seem like a coal-streaked insect, black-gripped eyes on yours - and pops another coal into her mouth. "You know what it means to own something, at the bottom level of it? It means you know it's yours, and you can give it up."

You take out your pipe and pack its bowl, patiently, and light it. You puff for a moment before replying, "Such as?"

"If I made you immortal, such that no one and nothing could ever kill you, even if you wanted to die, can you say that it's /your/ life any more?" Silence asks.

"That...is a good point," you muse.
>>
>>44709846
"These people give their lives to the Mine," Miss Silence says, with a quiet intensity. "It's theirs because they /could/ leave, and don't - because they love it, even when they hate it, and because they help tell it who it is. You look around here and see people in collars and soldiers with guns, and you think that's what's wrong down here. And in a way you're right, but honestly, you're wrong. What's wrong is that the Mine is supposed to be big enough for everyone's hopes and dreams, and right now, it's only big enough for one, and her war machine."

"The Traitor," you murmur.

"Precisely. The Baron doesn't even have the spine to be giving us his own megalomania. He's a lackey, and an uncreative one at that. You promise me that the Mine in /your/ Dungeon will be for the Miners, the way it was. We know our role in the Dungeon. We're happy to play it. But if I'm just gonna trade one tyrant for another, well, you can go fuck off and die."

"This a threat, or a proposal?" you ask.

"Depends on what it is you might be interested in arranging," Miss Silence admits.

> What do you ask for?
>>
>>44709890
The traitor is already next on our list of people to ""visit"" if thats what shes worried about. Also we don't have much intention of sticking around and doing much other than undoing whatever bullshit the baron pulled that violates the rules of life, death and nature itself.
>>
>>44709890
We most likely will need some help later on, dealing with other chain holders. And it's not like we need the mine for something.

Tell her she will aid us in the battle against one of the chain holders.
>>
>>44709890

> The Mine for the Miners—that's fair and right. But the products of the Mine, once the Miners are well-off, is for the whole Dungeon, to see that it thrives. And the Miners need to be part of the Dungeon as a whole—as a community. They need to be willing to partake in its sorrows as well as its joys, and fight for it if need arises. This place can only truly be whole if it is seen as a whole by the people who live here, and not as a dozen separate fiefdoms.
>>
>>44709890
>Ask for help to liberate the Mine from control from the Baron.
Unless Miss Silence is already doing so.
>>
>>44709890
>Frankly, I haven't quite learned the specifics of what being the Heritor means. Is this even something I should have authority over? The creator is not exactly dead.
>And let me point out one thing: didn't I ALREADY "pay" you? You couldn't have brought this up earlier?
We're going to replace Lora entirely, aren't we?
>>
Friendly reminder to green text votes folks.
>>
>>44710070
>This
>>
>>44710070
>seconded
>>
>>44709890
>>44710070
>Support and:
>I do not know what I will face when I descend deeper into the Dungeon but I could really use your assistance.
Any help is welcome really.
>>
one could say that the Dungeon is a living entity, which has been invested by a malignant parasite, And Bri is part of the cure.
>>
> The Mine for the Miners—that's fair and right. But the products of the Mine, once the Miners are well-off, is for the whole Dungeon, to see that it thrives. And the Miners need to be part of the Dungeon as a whole—as a community. They need to be willing to partake in its sorrows as well as its joys, and fight for it if need arises. This place can only truly be whole if it is seen as a whole by the people who live here, and not as a dozen separate fiefdoms.
>>
Morning shit finally, at long last, done. Even got breakfast cooking.

It's like I'm a fucking adult or something.

Votes called, writing.
>>
>>44710070
>The dungeon is like a body, and the different levels are its organs. What's good for the liver isn't always what's good for the heart, but as long as they're working together in tandem with rest of the whole both will be healthy
>>
File: La Croix Parenting.jpg (49 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
La Croix Parenting.jpg
49 KB, 960x960
>>44709890
You suck a soft puff on your pipe.

"You work with me, and I'll work with you," you tell Silence. "The Mine should be for the Miners. It was /made/ for them, for the love of their work and their grit. That's why the tunnels fill in, why the caverns shift and change - so the people that love this place don't have to give it up. But I don't think that's enough any more."

Miss Silence raises an eyebrow at you and spits a thin stream of that too-thick black tar into the water. "Meaning?"

"Meaning the Dungeon can't be thirteen or fourteen different things any more. It's gotta start thinking of itself as a community, a nation, a...a /whole/," you tell her. "You can't tell me there's not plenty of opportunity to sell the products of the Mine here in the Dungeon. So do that. Help me make the Mine part of this place instead of one slice amongst many."

The fey woman shifts in her place and gives you a long, curious look. "It's never been like that before. Sounds a lot like someone wanting to rule the Dungeon. No one rules the Dungeon."

"No one has to," you tell her, gently. "But...do you really think all of this could have happened, if we'd been even half as united as our enemies? If a call for help was possible, if it would have been answered? It's not like the Mine would be only /giving/ in this relationship. They'd get back customers, wealth, people. The ability to see the end of their work, making people's lives better. Who doesn't want to see that?"

Silence ponders it, for a long while, and you smoke your bowl with patience.

"Ten years and ten days," the fey says, at last. "I'll try it your way for ten years and ten days, and after that, we'll meet up and talk it over again - either you and I, or you and your heir. Deal?"

You hold your hand out, and Miss Silence shakes it firmly. "Deal."

There is a faint ripple in the air, and at first you think it's Silence, but she looks up in surprise too, her pointed ears perking gently. "...The Mine approves."
>>
>>44711554
>either you and I, or you and your heir.

this is meant to read "or me and your heir." I need more fucking coffee.

Second half of update incoming.
>>
File: 1450377898373.jpg (349 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1450377898373.jpg
349 KB, 675x900
>>44711554
"I'm glad to hear it," you murmur warmly. "...Silence, I gotta ask. Is there a problem between us, or what?"

"Not as such," she says with a shrug. "Don't take it personally. I'm like this with most folks."

"What're you like with the other folks?" you ask.

"About six feet away, on the other side of the spear lodged in their ribs."

"Ah."

Silence stands up straight, bones creaking like beams in a deep tunnel. "I need to go back to my boys. We'll be ready to move with the rest of the Miners, and I'll do what I can to help your sorcerer talk 'em around. Be well, la Croix."

The fey woman steps off of the dock, her boot touching lightly on the water. It ripples with every footstep as she walks away, and the witchlights beneath the surface turn in her wake, like flowers following the sun.

That...went better than expected?

> Seek out Nathan and Amy
> Relax. You need a day to yourself
> Find Fetch and tell him to teach these hands to calm their shit
> Write-in
>>
>>44711730
>Find Fetch and tell him to teach these hands to calm their shit
last thing we need right now is wondering hands
>>
>>44711730
>> Find Fetch and tell him to teach these hands to calm their shit

Yeah, we need some rest, but this is something that needs to happen before they pick up (pun intended) bad habits.
>>
>>44711730
Idle hands are the devils playthings.
>>
>>44711730
>>
>>
>>44711730
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
You are Sierra La Croix, journeyman necromancer, and you are doing your level best not to let your breakfast fly over the side of the ship.

It was fine the first time, but you have no real intention of letting it come back up for a second visit.

[I told you not to try the cheese, or else you’d /wine/] A voice with no particular source whispers into your ear with an odd smugness only found in the presence of puns. You consider spending the effort to formulate a witty response, but then the bile comes back up and it’s the best you can do to hang over the railing and not spew chunks everywhere.

The briny stench of the sea doesn’t help much with that.

Still, you manage to grin a bit anyway.

Because there, glittering on the horizon, was the capital of the Harrowing Sands.

Al Derzah, the city of the shining sun.
>>
>>44712198

As you get closer and closer to the city, your stomach’s mood settles as well, allowing you the ability to toddle down the gangplank with a small measure of your dignity… Which isn’t that much, considering that you’re also starting to sweat like a pig. Al Derzah is, without the sea breeze, uncomfortably warm. And by that, you mean that it’s like an oven.

Behind you, your Uncle Marek laughs as your legs acclimatize to ground that isn’t moving up and down on the waves and you let your hands rest on a post in a the most nonchalant manner you could manage like this, and give him a type of salute you picked up from when you helped another one of your uncles treat gangrene. This just makes him laugh harder as he carries your bag down the plank in one hand.

Still, he waits for you to recover fairly patiently while you recover. And you start to get an eyeful of the local people.

Even in this small and secluded part of the harbor, there’s people everywhere. You wouldn’t call yourself a small town girl, but Al Derzah’s easily the biggest place you’ve ever been to. Almost everyone seems to be wearing something like a pale robe, although some favor pants instead. But the whites aren’t quite pristine, and come in a variety of creamy shades, ranging from a bright blue to a stormy gray.

The noise and smells almost overwhelm you. The hiss and sizzle of frying meat mingle with the shouts of merchants and the scent of what feels like a dozen different herbs and spices fills your nose.
>>
>>44712210

“It’s like Market Day, if’n Market Day somehow drank Uncle Jonah’s coffee.” This makes Uncle Marek laugh some more as he hands you your backpack. It turns into a full on belly laugh after the weight nearly sends you over edge of the pier. You didn't pack lightly for this trip.

"That's one way of puttin' it, alright, niece o' mine. But you be careful now, eh? There's people here a touch more likely to take offense then Ol' Man Benji, and the folk down in the Valley'll be expectin' a proper Necromancer. Yer a mite young yet, but you're still a good'un for yer age." He plops a wide-brimmed hat on top of your head, and takes the opportunity to drive it down a bit over your eyes. "Don' let 'em push you 'round, but don't go gettin' a swell'd hear either. You listen to yer Aunt Mallory too, awright?"

Getting your head un-stuck from the cap, you give your uncle another nod, before he reels you in for another bear hug.

"Uncle! I'm perfectly capable of handling myself, you know!"

[And this is why you certainly didn't need any sort of advice to help with the sea-sickness, yes?] You suddenly really wish there was a way to elbow ghosts in the side.
>>
>>44712222

"Haha, looks like ol' Mallory's funnin' you still, huh?" For a moment, Uncle Marek's expression turns serious. "You know you won't be able to hold onto her forever, don't you?" Your own smile turns a tad more brittle, but you keep it wide anyway.

"Ah, I can't do that Uncle! Not yet! I haven't quite mastered the exorcism still." This is only a bit of a lie. You're sure you could do it... with a few more weeks of study. You just usually have to learn something else first. Or reference something with Auntie M, or...

You really should stop with the excuses.

Just another couple of months, you promise yourself. Just a few more months.

"Well, I'm off!" You turn on your heel, and begin your first steps into the crowd. "I'll see you later, Uncle Marek!" With that, you begin your journey to the center of the city, where the tallest tower stands. And where your current employer awaits.
>>
>>44712198
>>44712210
>>44712222
>>44712235

Aaand this is all I've got for now. I'd thrown it up sooner, but work, the need to sleep, more work, and a couple hours worth of errands got in the way.

The upshot of all that, is that I got some time to think about Sierra a bit more, and her relationship with Mallory La Croix.

Sierra was 'apprenticed' to Mallory when she was fairly young, and is dragging her feet a bit about leaving behind one of the truest companions she's ever had. This feeds into why she was the one chosen to go to the Harrows. She'll need to become more independent, form relationships with people who aren't dead/family/dead family, and be pushed to complete her journeyman qualifications and start pushing towards being a higher level necromancer, rather than leaning on her ghostly security blanket.
>>
File: F3Sdx5U.png (135 KB, 313x310) Image search: [Google]
F3Sdx5U.png
135 KB, 313x310
>>44711730
You whistle, and you pack opens up so your newest servants can scramble out of it and perch on your shoulders.

This is fine. Nooot creepy at all.

"Let's go find Fetch," you decide. "He needs to meet the two of you."

Following your connection to your familiar leads you to a somewhat open area behind a store, where he's...fighting with Diving Shadow?

The two of them break apart from a roll, and Fetch pops to his feet with a sort of bouncing feeling in his soul. Diving Shadow nods at him and says, "Good. You've got great instincts, you just need practice. Being undead doesn't excuse you from needing training."

"I am honored to benefit from your wisdom," Fetch says formally, bowing low.

/Okay/. That makes more sense. You approach, waving gently, and Fetch turns when he hears you. He and the harpy look at your shoulders in fascination, albeit different kinds of fascination.

"Fetch, these are my newest servants," you tell him, formally. You kneel and set the hands on the ground before him. "They're a little eager. I'd like you to teach them manners and train them alongside your brothers."

"Of course," your knight agrees. "What shall I call them?"

> Name them (pick 2 names)
> Let Fetch name them
>>
>>44712411
uhh, hook and jab?
>>
>>44712411
>> Name them (pick 2 names)

Sinister and dexter?
>>
>>44712411
cuff and link
>>
>>44712411
>Let Fetch name them
Name them hell let him make em squires until he's ready to formally knight them.
>>
>>44712411
Sirs Lefty and Righty.

>>44712340
Solid, interesting start. It might be a good idea to collect them somewhere other than the DLQ threads, though, otherwise it'll be really annoying to keep track of them all.
>>
>>44712411
>Puncho and Lefty.
>>44712488
Puns are good.
>>
>>44712411
Hook and Cross.
>>
>>44712340
I'd pastebin your stuff so it doesn't take up space on the Quest thread, but it'd still be easily available. Maybe this can be the epilogue, and future additions can be chapters?
>>
>>44712411
> Let Fetch name them
If only because I want to see what he comes up with.
>>
>claw and fist
>>
>>44712532

I'll do that, once I actually start having enough worth content worth compiling.

Still, glad you liked it.
>>
>>44712594
He'd probably just call them his squires.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (83 KB, 850x736) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
83 KB, 850x736
>>44712587

I was planning to go to sleep soon, hence my rather abrupt posting. I wanted to make sure it got somewhere, before I went and passed out for the day.

And before work ate me alive again.

Incidentally.
>>44712511

>Cuff and Link

This is pretty classy, I like it.
>>
>>44712411
>Pinky and Thumbs
>>
>>44712340
I like! I also understand why they went up in this format this time; I don't necessarily object, but maybe pastebins or Gdocs might work better in the future? I dunno, this is still my first time handling this sorta thing - we'll see what works and what doesn't as we keep moving forward.

The phrasing is nice and witty, and I appreciate the callback to hats (plus, I mean, desert - hats are not optional). I look forward to seeing this continue.

Vote extended for a brief period. Life stuff.
>>
>>44712827
Dammit! And here I thought being a Lich meant you didn't have to deal with that crap anymore.
>>
>>44712859
You have any idea how hot a skull gets without hair or skin on top of it?
>>
>>44712859
Consuming souls is life stuff.
>>
>>44712411
Yes I have time to vote!

> Let Fetch name them
I wonder what a chicken. Would name his hands...
>>
>>44713027
well he has fingers, right?
>>
>>44712506
>Sinister and dexter?

Seconded.
>>
>>44712411
>> Let Fetch name them

either that or
>Thinga & Majig
>>
>>44712411
>supporting this >>44713238
>>
Votes called, writing. Fetch naming them had a total of five votes; I'ma call it the winner here.
>>
>>44713119
Ha, took me a moment to get it!
>>
File: Sir Fetch by GentlemanKong.png (98 KB, 834x1052) Image search: [Google]
Sir Fetch by GentlemanKong.png
98 KB, 834x1052
>>44712411
The hands stand at jittery attention, instinctively recognizing Fetch's authority over them, as well as his stern, avian glare.

"Why don't you name them?" you suggest. "You'll probably be commanding them in the field more often than not."

"They seem eager," the undead bird notes. "They shall be my faithful squires, and their names are Vim and Vigor."

You roll the names over in your head, and then nod. "Vim and Vigor it is," you agree. "As I said, I need you to teach them some discipline and train them to work with you and your brothers. I would also suggest that you stick with someone living while you're around town. The Miners don't necessarily like necromancy, and I'd hate for there to be misunderstandings."

"I'll stay with him," Diving Shadow says. "I have little else to do with my day while my husband attends to the Miners, and I think my daughter could do without my company for awhile. And...your brave little knight intrigues me."

Fetch preens, proudly, and you manage to refrain from laughing.

"Alright, off with you then," you tell him. "You have squires to discipline."

Fetch clucks, and the hands fall in with his skeletal brethren before he dashes off.

> Y'know, today's had a nice relaxed feel. Let's go relax.
> Maybe I should go find Amy & Nate
> Write-in
>>
>>44713883
> Y'know, today's had a nice relaxed feel. Let's go relax.
I'm sure Amy and Nate can look after themselves.
>>
>>44713883
>Maybe I should go find Amy & Nate
see what Nate looks like with a peg leg, then hum sea shanties while around him.
>>
>>44713883
>> Maybe I should go find Amy & Nate
what is this 'relax' you speak of?
>>
>>44713883
>We'll rest right after, really!
>>
>>44713883

People I love. I like to be with them. Let's find them!
>>
Called, writing.
>>
>Maybe I should go find Amy and Nate
>>
File: Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png
22 KB, 300x300
>>44713883
There's a nice comfy barn that way, where you can do gentle but useful work, and spend your day to yourself.

...Orrrr you could track down Nate and make pirate jokes.

Pirate jokes it is!

The Company Store is bigger than you thought, and asking after peg legs starts you on a journey that takes you up and down the town, following vague leads. After about an hour and a half of looking you're starting to think that maybe going back to the barn sounds good, when you hear Amy's voice from a nearby roof. The half-harpy hasn't noticed you.

"...I'm sorry," she murmurs. "I keep having to remind myself that you need space. I don't mean to..."

"No," Nathan says back. "It's alright. I'm not always the best at expressing myself. I think maybe you've noticed?"

Amy snorts. "Just a little."

> Get their attention
> Just listen
>>
>>44713883
>>
>>44714846
>> Just listen
> But not for long. Don't wanna go full stalker on our lovers now.
>>
>>44714846
>Just listen
>If things start to get too heavy, start making quiet but noticeable pirate noises, but not in a mocking way.
>>
>Just listen
>If things start to get too heavy, start making quiet but noticeable pirate noises, but not in a mocking way.
>>
Alright folks, the next update will likely be my last one for a few hours, as I need to work from about 6:30 to midnight and I gotta walk through all this NICE FRESH FUCKING SNOW since my car is a corpse.

Vote's still open for a bit.
>>
>>44715007
>>44714929
I would love to see how you plan to make pirate noises in a non-mocking way. Good-natured ribbing, I could see, but not mocking at all?

That in mind, I'm going with this.
>>44714882
>> Just listen
> But not for long. Don't wanna go full stalker on our lovers now.
>>
>>44713965
Seconding this
And we roooll the oold chariot along...
>>
>>44714846
>> Just listen
>>
>>44714846
Of course it updates after I vote for the old one... great
> Just listen
>>
>>44715254
And we'll all hang on behind!
>>
Called, writing.
>>
>>44715343
You just made my day anon!!!
>>
>>44714929
Seconding this.

>Just listen
>>
>>44715148
I was aiming for something like peeking out from the door/chest high wall and just going "Yarr matey, Thar be some fine booty to plunder."

Or just going "Aarrr" a few times, see how long until they find us.

Would that be out of character?
>>
File: Nathan Redraw.png (364 KB, 939x2055) Image search: [Google]
Nathan Redraw.png
364 KB, 939x2055
>>44714846
You settle in to the shadow of the shack you're near, and you listen.

"Amy, I..." Nathan's pause has the frustrated quality of a man searching for phrasing. "You dealt with people who thought you were less, in the Roost?"

"Oh yeah," Amy agrees, almost pleasantly. "Harpies that though I was some kind of mini-harpy, dwarves who thought I was too much of a harpy, all kinds of assholes. Assholes happen, though."

"But no one thought you were /wrong/," Nathan continues. "Just for existing?"

"Nah," the half-harpy says.

"People would think that of me, if I was just who I am all the time," Nathan explains patiently. "Worse than Bri has it, even. I spend every minute of most every day controlling how I think and feel, keeping my shadow shackled, focusing on being human. And I hate it. I feel dishonest. When I started realizing you and Brianna were important to me, it became important to share, well...everything. To lay it out flat and be honest."

"...And it felt like I wasn't honest back?" Amy asks, in a small voice.

"Yeah," Nathan admits. "More than anything else, it felt like I laid everything on the table, and then you didn't trust me back. With how open you are about almost everything, I...it was hard to feel like it was anything but deliberate."

Amy sighs, a sad chirp floating down from the roof. "...I'm trying, Nate. I don't speak silence very well."

"I know."

> Get their attention
> Keep listening
> Leave
>>
>>44715903
>Keep listening
>>
>>44715903
wait for a lull in the conversation then walk out humming a pirate song. Let them have there moment then ruin it.
>>
>>44715903
>> Get their attention
I'm glad Nate had the change to say that, but if we eavesdrop any longer it's gonna get creepy, and not in the good-hearted-necromancer kind of way.
>>
>>44715903
>> Keep listening

Nothing stops this feels train!
>>
>>44716001
>wait for a lull in the conversation then walk out humming a pirate song. Let them have there moment then ruin it.

Please lord vox, let the pirate tunes flow
>>
>>44716001
Please, my friend - please greentext your votes.

Also getting stuff around for work. I may leave this as the final update before work, or I may not; we'll have to see how long prep takes. Either way, I'll inform you folks of what's up.
>>
>>44715903
>> Get their attention

I think it's time to become part of this conversation.
>>
>>44715903
>wait for a lull in the conversation then walk out humming a pirate song. Let them have there moment then ruin it.
Hehe,
>>
>>44715903
>Keep listening
>This is a good, honest and serious talk, let them have it a bit longer.
>>
>>44716001
>wait for a lull in the conversation then walk out humming a pirate song. Let them have their moment then ruin it.
>>
Called, writing.
>>
File: Bri - The Early Years.jpg (105 KB, 1250x1579) Image search: [Google]
Bri - The Early Years.jpg
105 KB, 1250x1579
>>44715903
You slink back, just a little - it's getting to be about time to stop eavesdropping, you're thinking.

"You're still mad at me?" Amy asks.

"Some," Nathan admits. "But that's just...I dunno, leftovers? I'm not mad at /you/. I'm just still mad."

"Worried about Talon?" the half-harpy asks, a little cheekily.

"Not even a little," Nathan says with such forthrightness that you actually stop for a moment and quietly high-five Kat. "I think if you were still interested, you would have said something. Am I wrong?"

"Not at all," Amy answers happily. "I've been thinking back lately, and...honestly, I'm pretty sure if I could go back in time I'd slap myself a couple of times for acting like a fawning dolt."

There's your cue. You take a firm step, to let your boots be heard against the stone, and sing.

"Yo ho, haul together..."

"/Hilarious/, Brianna," Nathan drawls from the roof. "Amy, get me down."

The half-harpy and the Hero float down to the ground; Nathan still looks awkward on his wooden leg, but he walks to you without support and gives you a hug. "You sleep well?"

"I kinda did, yeah," you tell him. "Thanks for, y'know, enabling me to. I've squared away just about everything I can do for the day, I think."

"Nate still has to get used to the leg," Amy says primly. "...We could go for a walk?"

"Maybe swap stories?" Nathan suggests.

"I do like stories," you muse.

> Nathan's Story (Jack o' Clocks)
> Amy's Story (And There I Was, Three Floors Up...)
> Brianna's Story (The Marsh Witch)
>>
Alright folks, that's my final update before just after midnight. I'll call the vote and write when I get back from work in about six hours or so.

Archiving thread now, just in case.

As always, discussion, questions, comments, feedback, and criticisms are both welcome and appreciated. They help me improve, folks.

Thank you all for reading and participating!
>>
>>44716870
>> Amy's Story (And There I Was, Three Floors Up...)
I kind of want to see what Amy's storytelling is like.
>>
>>44716870
>>
>>44716870

I kinda want to hear Nate's, but this one's just got such a compelling title... ^_^
>>
>>44716870
Having to choose only one story to hear you're a monster Vox.
> Nathan's Story (Jack o' Clocks)
The name intrigues me
>>
>>44716870
>> Nathan's Story (Jack o' Clocks)
He deserves a bit more screentime (not counting the pegleg debate)
>>
>>44716870
I can't remember the last time Amy told a story.
>>
>>44716870
>> Nathan's Story (Jack o' Cocks)
>>
>>44716870
>>
>>
>>44716870
>Amy's Story (And There I Was, Three Floors Up...)
I think we're getting a taste of her storytelling just from the title.

Thinking about Amy's wings, I realized she needs some that either can go between lethal and nonlethal, or are just nonlethal.
While murderwings are COOL, and I'm sure Amy would agree they're COOL, it's been established that harpies use their wings to interact with stuff, including people, themselves, and during harpy arguments.
I don't think she'd like them very much after she accidentally gibs someone. Emphasis on accidentally.
>>
>>44717190

That sounds like a need to design carefully, then—like so that the pinions can be angled to buffet with the flats, rather than the edges.
>>
>>44717218
The name is important, too. If we name them something like "murderbird" and "murdererbird" then that and the snake's nature will probably make them pretty damn vicious.
>>
>>44717248
Name em Phoenix to invoke both flight and rebirth.
>>
>>44717308

I can't think of a more fitting name.

Just gotta watch out for them also occasionally setting fires.
>>
>>44717248
>>44717308
>>44717359
Should probably let Amy name them.
>>
>>44717591
Yeah, but a) we might be playing Amy when that happens, b) it's no good to just speculate on one part of the thing anyway.
>>
>>44712587
I would hope it's a prologue, for all that I'm kinda interested to see what comes after it, and you don't usually get that with epilogues.
>>
>>44713883
So one of them's a level one power, and the other's a talent? Did Mr Necro have one hand rather a lot stronger than the other?
>>
>>44717801
Necromancers often have to entertain themselves.
>>
>>44716870
>Nathan's Story (Jack o' Clocks)

>>44717308
Phoenix works. And yea, will definitely want them to be able to be used both lethally and non. Shouldn't be all that hard, really, at least on the scale of how hard making working wings would be anyway. Think of a cat's claws. Make the wings mostly as you would if they were non-lethal only, but around the perimeter integrate some slots to act as sheathes, with the feathers that are razored hiding inside those slots most of the time, and swinging out like the wings of a swept-wing fighter jet when Amy needs them. Should be well within what wraithsteel's capable of, and likely within what Isoldt and Harry can make.
>>
>>44716870
>Nathan's Story (Jack o' Clocks)
>>
>>44717591
easy.
>You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker
>I'll name it Phoenix
done
>>
Three hours to vote call.
>>
>>44720256
<3
>>
>>44717801
I understood that reference.
>>
>>44717801
>>44720517
Wait so could we have made pic related?
>>
>>44720710
Wrong reference anon.

Two hours and change.
>>
>>44721593
Don't think we've heard her tell a story yet
>>
>>44720710
>>44721593
The reference >>44717801 is referring to seems to be DND stuff.
I'm not 100% sure, though.
>>
>>44699350
Of course he is.

>You take Vox's phalanges into your mouth and swirl them around
>He lifts you up onto his bone throne
>You groan and moan as you enter the bone zone on his bone throne
>>
>>44721844
Vox is also an author for Dreamscarred Press, who wrote stuff for D&D 3.5 and now for Pathfinder, a 3.5 spin-off. Vim and vigor were psionic powers, and DSP's original focus was psionic material.
>>
>>44721977
>>You take Vox's phalanges into your mouth and swirl them around
>>He lifts you up onto his bone throne
>>You groan and moan as you enter the bone zone on his bone throne

10/10, would fap to
>>
>>44722001
Forgot the relevant bit: vigor is a 1st-level power, and vim is a talent, or 0th-level power. Hence the joke about one being significantly stronger than the other.
>>
>>44722001
Well damn anon, just spill the beans.

I mean, I did earlier with the stories but I was trying to stay low key.
>>
>>44704172
>Louisiana culture
Don't ya know it.

Please tell me you don't drink that tree bark, though, Vox.
>>
>>44722049
There was an Aisling joke. I figured it was all out there at that point.
>>
>>44722001
Isn't DSP Psionics the only version for PF, still? Even though it's years later, and they said an official version would be released?
Also wow this is off-topic, but isn't that what tg does?
>>
>>44722224
Paizo actually said they would NOT release psionic material. But then they went back on that and released "psychic magic" material, which uses a lot of the same words and powers (albeit sticking to a Vancian system with an ass-backwards rip-off of augmentation). It also rips off a lot of popular 3rd-party content (primarily from DSP, but also from Radiance House), and despite blatantly stealing other people's shit, somehow manages to fuck them up and deliver really shitty material. DSP remains the only "proper" psionics in PF.
>>
>>44722329
Calm, friend. I'm not looking to start any fights; just here to try and run a fun quest.

One hour and change.
>>
Fifteen minute warning, plus or minus for making tea at home.
>>
>>44723458
>tea
...Vox?
Are you feeling alright?
>>
>>44723488
I bet it's laced with CAFFEINE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.