[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
40k start up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 40kfile.png (11 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
40kfile.png
11 KB, 800x600
So I'm well versed in the fluff but have never actually played warhammer. I'm going to start up with a Space Wolf army anyone got any tips on what to expect from GW and other players? I'm a bit older than what I picture most players (25) and have a steady job so money isn't a big issue although I know it is expensive as fuck. Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>44692564
Paint before you buy more, jesus fuck. If you don't paint up your boxes before buying new ones, then you'll end up eith 20,000+ points of grey crap that you will never ever be able to tackle.
>>
>>44692608
Is painting really needed? I was honestly going to just like do they all in blue gray and not get detailed with the paint that is if I paint them at all
>>
>>44692564
1. Would not say 25 is older than many
2. Start slow, do not buy 2000points right away.
3 Take your time assembling and painting, it wil be rewarded
4. Don't be the guy who spams only the best stuff
5. You might want to get into contact with your local community
6. The space wolf upgrade pack has a furfag helmet.(But you do not need to use that one)
>>
>>44692659
Needed no. But rewarding, even when mediocre. Just use that spray can, watch for the right temperature outside! Afterwards use a shade and give a few details some work
>>
>>44692712
i actually think that helmet looks kinda cool.

>>44692758
now with the individual models do you have to shave some plastic off with a blade? do they have metal models? if they do how do you go about painting them?
>>
>>44692852
>i actually think that helmet looks kinda cool.
Well. If you like it, use it. Do not let me influence you.

>now with the individual models do you have to shave some plastic off with a blade?
Often as there are residues from the sprue or mold lines in them. People use sharp knifes, or other tools. Youtube has some tutorial videos. Others can be found in the 40k general or the WIP thread. Just look around.

>do they have metal models? if they do how do you go about painting them?

Maybe, I don't play SW. Usually the GW website tells you wether it is plastic (multi-part-plastic kit), finecast(resin) or metal.
You paint metal models the same way. First primer, then base then the rest.As long as you do not cut them for conversions, they are fairly easy to handle. Downside is that you have to use superglue for resin and metal. Plastic works with both superglue and plastic glue.
Another problem appears with larger metal/finecast models as they can be warped. See tutorials above for explanations.
>>
>>44692852
Metal models do still exist, but Gw has been doing their best to kill them off in favor of plastic and Finecast, for better or for worse. Painting metal is just about the same as painting plastic, just prime it and paint ontop of that. The real bitch about metal models is removing mouldlines, removing flash, and doing personal conversions as metal is hard to cut through.
>>
>>44693435
>>44694515
Thanks. Also how hard/complicated are the rules? Like do you need to have rule books laying around to cover special rules or is it pretty easy enough to more or less memorize? Also how are players generally? Like am I going to get taken advantage of being a noob or will people help me learn? I know everyone is different but I kind of would like to get a general feel for the fanbase as a whole
>>
>>44695369
You could memorise the rules, but that requires some autistic magic and it's better to just keep the rules on hand to avoid getting things wrong. Try finding the smaller copy of the rulebook that comes with the Dark Vengeance set on eBay, it's really helpful for wargaming.
>>
>>44694515
The only rules you need to memorize are the ones relevant to your army. They can be kind of complex, 40k is known for its clunky over use of special rules after all, but it becomes much easier if you only focus on things you need to; codex special rules, wound/hit tables, stats for your personal units

The 49k community is the largest, and therefor the most varied, wargame community out there, so its hard to really say what you'll run into. Its much leas competitive than say, Warmahordes, because 40k was designed as a fluff based game and not a competitive game, but your own local meta will matter much more than anything I can tell you about 40k in general. It doesn't matter if most Of a game's players are hardcore tournament players if you only live around people who make fluff lists, for instance.
>>
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

Start by writing a 1000. Paint and model your guys decently or you miss a big part of the hobby and the games look amazing on good terrain when everything is done up nicely.
>>
>>44692564
My advice for you is this

Get Betrayal at Calth and then some upgrade packs to pimp up your wolfies, its the best deal out there right now.
>>
>>44695613
>>44695369
Rules aren't tough when youve been playing a while, and since many of the things youll need to remember are based on the stats of your army, the more you play, the more you remember. however, the first couple games are going to be very tough unfortunately.
>>
Not OP, just a question for anyone who could help. I play Necrons and my friends play Chaos, Dark Eldar, Nids and Black Templars. We've all decided that we'd like to balance out Assault a little bit more with some homebrew rules, but don't know how to do it. What are some good ways to help balance assault in this edition?
>>
>>44702054
Assault is 6''+D6''
Overwatch needs an initiative test in order to do it, another change could be that overwatch is triggered in the movement phase instead of the assault (Any one unit can snap shot at any enemy unit that moved within 12'' of them).
>>
>>44692564
space wolves are slightly tougher orks who can drop pod. also, wargaming players come from literally all walks of life.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.