[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothetical Situation for 40k fags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Nova-class_Frigate.jpg (40 KB, 708x365) Image search: [Google]
Nova-class_Frigate.jpg
40 KB, 708x365
So it's the height of the Horus Heresy. Suppose a Space Marine frigate en route to Terra to relieve the defenders gets lost in the warp storms that spring up all over the galaxy. Due to warp fuckery or a Lord of Change looking for entertainment, it arrives in the Sol system 29,000 years prior to it's departure date, in the year of our emperor 016.M2 on January 10. Let's say it was a Space Wolves frigate, cause I like the idea of the navigator getting hammered on Mjod trying to cope with losing sight of the Astronomicon. Anyhow what happens?
>>
>>44689915
The Emperor(being the only one who can respond to the astropath hailing the planet) tells them they're early to the party and to fuck off back to the warp
>>
>>44689915
They try and find their way back.

Realizing its nothing but Eldar and the occasional Ork as far as the eye can see and no humans anywhere at all they come to the conclusion that they are going to have to settle down before they run out of supplies.

They are going to need the only human inhabited planet they can find.

Exactly which method of subjugation depends on which Lord commands them.

It would eventually occur to them what has happened when they start looking at the stars and their placements.

If Emperor is not present then he really was just a Strife era warlord with Best Korea propaganda.
>>
>>44690045
Makes sense. Would they be able to make more marines and build back up to chapter strength or are they doomed to slow decline?
>>
File: budget tech-marine.jpg (201 KB, 779x1025) Image search: [Google]
budget tech-marine.jpg
201 KB, 779x1025
>>44690213
If space wolves, raven guard or possibly blood angels they are probably going to die out due to genetic fuckery.

If one of the less degenerated chapters they should be able to start recruiting.

Also with no oversight there isn't anything binding them to the Codex.

And they could bump Earths tech level up to the mid to high end of Imperial standard.

They could forge a new Imperium tens of thousands of years earlier then should be the case.

Also Earth Scientists, if they could be allowed to work with the tech-adepts, or borrow their note books, might be able to start innovating and inventing new shit based on old Imperial Tech.

Keep it on the quiet an out of the notice of the eldar and dig in in preparation for The Fall and once the warp calms down Imperium carving up the galaxy 10X as fast and twice as internally stable.

Also, with any luck, there won't be an Emperor to fuck everything up in this time line.

I'd like to think its the Salamanders or an Ultramarine chapter that discover Earth rather than the Space Wolves.

Although the Space Wolves setting up their new fortress monastery on the moon would be good. Luna Wolves

Not sure what their next generation equipment would look like. Possibly a bit like pic related.
>>
>>44689915
Assuming that they left Warp close enough to be immediately spotted, Earth astronomers and military go bonkers, the rest of the planet soon following.

After that , either the Emperor (currently watching over mankind from shadows) makes an astropathic contact with the ships' choir and prominently orders it to GTFO to not fuck up history and space-time continuum, or marines figure out the situation themselves from clearly recognizing Sol but not exactly recognizing it.

They then enter warp to attempt the same thing that happened to them but backwards. Failing that, they roam the galaxy looking for Eldar, seeking xeno help in getting back in the time where Astartes are actually needed and have place under the Emperor's stars.

>>44690213
If they are Space Wolves as OP suggested then no, as Canis Helix is only compatible with Fenris local genotype.
>>
>>44690583
then how did the Terran space wolves get created?
>>
>>44690689
Presumably from Scandinavians.

The discovery of the Primarchs provided a way of generating new gene-seed quicker.

The Primarch-spliced 2nd gen marines needed to be recruited from Fenris because Russ was a mutant.

Presumably the old stock of Terran marines would still be able to recruit from pure humans.
>>
>>44689915
Mjod is not for non marines
It's pretty much petroleum and grain and stuff
>>
>>44690723
To be fair, Russ was designed to be a mutant. The emps added canine DNA on purpose, guys like Magnus, and Sanguinius were a mistake.
>>
>>44690736
Pretty sure it's mostly grain alcohol with a few fenrisian plants that paralyze preomnor and oolitic kidney allowing them to poison themselves
>>
>>44690860
In Prospero Burns it's described as more like aviation fuel than alcohol
>>
>>44690884
Doesn't mean it's petroleum based. Last I checked, ethanol is used as fuel
>>
>>44690884
Pretty sure thats just a metaphor. Commonly bad or cheap vodka is referred to as drain cleaner, doesnt mean its actually drain cleaner.
>>
>>44690523
>Filename
>>
>>44690801

The Emperor was drunk when he made Russ. Hence Russ's love of alcohol.
>>
>>44691805
It was from a thread we had about 18 months ago.

One anon wanted to know how cheaply a crusade could be thrown together.

We had cyberneticly and cheaply gene-splice enhanced warriors, penal legion guardsmen and semi-scrapped cargo haulers cobbled back together and all sorts of madness. It was headed by a retired Inquisitor for legal purposes.

That was the forge-master of the faux marine chapter. Nobody had told them that they were not real space marines as they would probably never meet a real one it shouldn't be an issue that would get raised.

Problem is they started.to.act an believe like a chapter and went into battle with astartes prayers on their lips and fire in their eyes. They were the Scrap Knight of Redeption.
>>
>>44691121
>ethanol is used as fuel
get the fuck out of here hippie
>>
>>44692215
Dude, unless it's advertised as otherwise, all gasoline sold in America is at least 15% ethanol. Unless your car has a flex-fuel engine, it's going to leave behind gunk (technical term) in the cylinders. That's why your lawn mower quits running after a few years. Thanks Obama. Also, dirt track rally cars frequently burn straight ethanol. Don't ask me why
>>
>>44692648
It also seriously fucks up chainsaws in the winter.
>>
>>44692648
Adding to this anon - many kinds of smaller aircrafts run only on pure ethanol
>>
>>44690523
Raven Guard and Blood Angels can survive, Space Wolves have the worst geneseed available, together with the Thousand Sons (and those can at least recruit from everywhere).
>>
>>44692648
In Germany we have now reached 10%.
It was a massive controversy when they introduced it.
>>
>>44693260
RG require regular top ups from Mars.

BA are gradually getting worse and worse cases of Black Rage and Red Thirst.

Without the Imperium RG are going to die slowly.

With or without the Imperium the only BA gene line left will be the Lamenters assuming their supernatural bad luck dissent kill them first.
>>
>>44693401
Didn't the Lamenters regain the Red Thirst and Black Rage during their penance crusade after the Badab War
>>
>>44692648
Ethanol has a much higher detonation point, which allows you to run an engine more efficiently and produce way more hp's.
>>
>>44693401
Black Rage doesn't exist until after Sanguinius' death. HH blood angels just get a little thirsty.
>>
>>44690045
They settle down on what will become Fenris and wait for relief.

They eventually become the wolves on Fenris as their gene-seed is unable to remain stable.
>>
>>44693260
>Space Wolves have the worst geneseed available
there's is pretty stable IIRC very few go Wulfen. The only thing flawed with theirs is they can only recruit from Fenris which I'm sure suits them just fine.
>>
File: 1423954187739.jpg (38 KB, 305x364) Image search: [Google]
1423954187739.jpg
38 KB, 305x364
>>44692041
can you tell me more anon?
>>
>>44694756
YES IT DID
FEAR TO TREAD
MARINE GOES FULL BLACK RAGE AND SANGUINIUS HAS TO KILL HIM
AND THEN THE WHOLE LEGION BERZERKS IN A HUGE BATTLE AGAINST DEMONS ON SIGNUS PRIME OR WHATEVER WAS THE NAME OF THAT WORLD IN THAT SHITTY BOOK
>>
>>44695287
>The only thing flawed with theirs is they can only recruit from Fenris
AND they have pretty shit survival rates for aspirants, which is though mostly compensated by a much wider age gap for potential recruits than any other marines have.
>>
>>44696100
The last part is explained by Sanginius nearly dying and going down - it drives most of his Legion into a berserk fury, a shadow of the future Black Rage after his death.

The former, I don't know. Maybe he lost his senses after being consumed by the Red Thirst - that does happen. Could be daemonic influence.
>>
>>44696100
I didn't read it but I thought Fear to Tread was one of the better HH books? At least that's what I thought /tg/'s opinion was

>>44696161
proof of that?
>>
>>44696290
It's true that Black Rage has a lot to do with Sanguinius' death and it wasn't nearly as sever before that as it became after, but it DID exist well since the dawn of IXth Legion.
>>
>>44696380
>I didn't read it but I thought Fear to Tread was one of the better HH books?
It kinda is. But one needs to understand that being niche mass-produced wastepaper, the HH series has pretty lower standards within it's quality spectrum. The top books in the series (which are Horus Rising, Prospero Burns, First Heretic and Know No Fear, btw. Tales of Heresy and Age of Darkness have some DAMN FINE WOULD RECOMMEND TO NON 40K-FAGS short stories also) are at best decent combat fantasy literature that you can fully enjoy without it feeling like a guilty pleasure and even remember afterwards, while the worst (Mechanicus, Deliverance Lost, Vulcan Lives) are some of the literally worst pieces of written fiction to be sold for money.

Between them, Fear to Tread is a solid 7 on a spectrum from 1 (Vulkan Lives) to 10 (best stories in Tales of Heresy), but taken outta the comfy HH bubble it's definitely among the shittier literature of this world.
>>
>>44690045

Or Malcador is there...
>>
>>44692648

Obama is an awful, corrupt, incompetent demagogue... But in this particular case it was passed during the Bush years by congressional Democrats.
>>
>>44690801
why?
>>
>>44696749
>best stories in Tales of Heresy
I sure as fuck hope you don't mean The Last Church aka "The Emperor uses the arguments of an 8th grader."
>>
>>44696749
I've only read Prospero Burns (best 40k novel I've ever read imo), Horus Rising (thought was kinda meh) and the two of the Dark Angels ones think Decent of Angels and I forgot the other one where Jonson autistically gives those giant cannon things to Perturabo (both shit books BTW)

I would like to read Deliverance Lost just for the parts with Corax in the gene labs, heard that was an interesting segment
>>
>Mjod

Mead, ditt lata, inavlade idiotarsel.
>>
>>44697563
most likely to enhance their senses. the space wolves have the best senses out of any of the legions that's why they don't wear helmets.

I'm sure there were other reasons though, in deliverance lost it states that the space wolves, alpha legion and salamanders gene seeds were developed separately and in even more secrecy than the other legions for reasons that weren't explained.
>>
>>44697637
>I sure as fuck hope you don't mean The Last Church aka "The Emperor uses the arguments of an 8th grader."
I actually find it not that bad (although not among the best stories in the book). The thin is - I don't take His arguments at face value.

As per my headcanon (partially confirmed in Outcast Dead), our God-Emperor has foreseen the eventual outcome of the Great Crusade - including the betrayal of half his sons and his own death and reign on the Golden Throne as a God. Being a mind of rationality and deeper understanding, he saw that inevitable outcome as rather despicable. And so he came to the Last Church - not gloat over religion, but to listen to rhetoric of a God's man. Knowing that one day the Imperium will be going on nothing faith, he wanted the priest to at least attempt to give Him faith make and Him believe, while He hardly did but needed that faith more than ever. So He threw straw arguments as to see priest's beliefs in a challenge without utterly crushing him with a superior intellect, in hope of getting some of that resolve for Himself.

So the Emperor went to the Last Church - not to prove religion wrong, but to try and see proven wrong Himself by religion, as he knew that in the end it would be the mankind's last hope.

>>44697908
Try Know No Fear - it's well on par with Prospero Burns.
>>
>>44698393
isn't Know No Fear a ultrasmurf book?
>>
>>44698589
Yes.

And it's good.

I couldn't believe it either.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.