[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
darths and droids - Opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: darths0001.jpg (168 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0001.jpg
168 KB, 600x800
ITT: What do you think of Darths & Droids ? (ie: Concept, quality, history)

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/

(For those who don't know what Darths & Droids is, it's a webcomics about a Star wars P&P game using the films as material, following the history but changing [a lot] of stuff)
>>
I like it. It's like DM of the Rings, if the DM intended people to have fun.
>>
Started good but as it went on it became just another group of RPers fucking about in a webcomic. There are already hundreds of those.

>>44689107
>the DM intended people to have fun.
Anon's reasoning is spot on and exactly why it bores me. DMotR was something different made up of familiar things, including frustrating railroading. I enjoyed that bitter note to it far more than a bunch of nerds having fun playing a game. I can do that in my own time.
>>
I like how there's character progression "outside" of the campaign, and they occasionally make reference to other movies or shows that, in their world, were campaigns that they had run.
It's a fun little detail that adds a bit of realism.
>>
>>44689041
I think it's pretty okay, though it's dragged on by this point.

It's not helped by the fact that they've gotten into the actually-good movies.
>>
>>44690463

Still though, they can (on occasion) make the good movies work too. I think my single favorite strip of Darths and Droids is the one where they re-do the "Boring Conversation anyway" bit.
>>
When I realize the sheer time it takes for someone to make a single page, compared to how long it takes to read it, I don't feel impressed.

I feel depressed, like everything is meaningless. I feel bad for the people who make it.
>>
>>44690463
My feelings exactly. I really enjoyed the comics take on the prequels, but the original series just aren't as funny this way.
>>
>>44690990
how long does it take
>>
>>44690990
The same is true for any web-com or any comic for that matter

Or writing a book, making a film, making a song anything.

Your point is very banal
>>
I like it OK but I prefer DM Of The Rings, it reminds me more of actual sessions I've played, particularly the psychotic Legolas ganking people mid conversation.
>>
>>44689041
It began as pretty solid, went too far into the alternate history road instead of making fun of gaming habits for a time, and nowadays it's a middle ground between solid ideas and jokes that miss.
Ep.1 is wonderful, the rest is correct, I guess.

The "Hey, Obi-wan" "He can't hear you, you're in space" "HEY, OBI-" "Nope" joke still cracks me up everytime I read it.

And you can't accuse them of being lazy, they're still making alternate universe versions of page 50
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0050.html
>>
>>44689041
It's better than the prequels.
>>
>>44691908
screw you.
You made me dig though 27 alternate realities.
>>
>>44689041
Made me laugh. Got over it once they finished the prequels.
>>
>>44689556
DMotR seems nice, I will look into it, thanks you
>>
File: darths0021.jpg (222 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0021.jpg
222 KB, 600x800
Loved the 1st and 2nd movie, enjoyed the 3rd movie, 4th is still enjoyable but getting pretty grating. Haven't finished 4th.

It's gone through that inevitable webcomic progression from wacky comedic fun to wacky comedic fun with some drama to drama with comic relief when things get too heavy. Now, it seems, every other session is ended with some drama occurring between the characters and
>... maybe we should end it here for tonight.

I mean, seriously. Compare this:
>>
File: darths0731.jpg (239 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0731.jpg
239 KB, 600x800
>>44694643
to this.
>>
Along with unnecessary drama and alternate storylines, the biggest thing that made me turn away from Darths and Droids was the feeling that it "forgot" it was a look at a game from the players' points of view. It read like the PCs were the actual main characters instead of the players; while that level of immersion is wonderful for actual games, it's not so wonderful for comedic webcomic that derives its humor from the players perspective and pointing out in-game/out-of-game dissonance (e.g. the scene with Padme and the grappling rules). Having a character scream in pain or pant from a long run seems really weird too.
>>
>>44694643
>It's gone through that inevitable webcomic progression from wacky comedic fun to wacky comedic fun with some drama to drama with comic relief when things get too heavy.

this. There was drama in episode 1-3 but the drama was the kind you expect in games. People having to leave, relationships forming between players and having to deal with the lows of said relationships. Also the drama was brief, I think the longest lasting 7 pages, now it seems it's drama every page.
>>
>>44689041

This and the Cartoon Network versions of Jar Jar are the only ones that make any sense at all.
>>
>>44689041

The first movie was great. It still is, if you go back and read it. The following ones are nice, but not nearly as good.
>>
>>44691461
This this this
It's more fun to laugh at them when the players are shitheads
>>
I still read it. It might have lessened on the funny although so far Episode V has been better on that note, but I'll freely admit to getting into the non-funny side of things a bit so there's that.
>>
Very much liked it to start with, but now it's become more about the players than a game from the players PoV, but I guess that was inevitable.
>>
>>44692302
holy shit there are so many
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.