[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Delta Green/CoC thread #2: Trump/Thulsa Doom 2016 Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: pic503001.jpg (233 KB, 806x1050) Image search: [Google]
pic503001.jpg
233 KB, 806x1050
DG/CoC general.

Recap of last thread:

>Nancy the Friendly Ghoul is Awesome.
>Donald Trump and Thulsa Doom will make America great again.
>Ben 'the Migo Mutilator' Garrison is not to be fucked with.

Fun fact of the day: You need roughly 12,000 Eyes of Light and Darkness to cover the surface area of the USA.

To start off with a topic of discussion: Serpent Men have access to highly advanced technological knowledge but it is almost always only represented with them packing a Death Ray pistol that in some way mimics the ray guns from Mars Attacks. My favorite is a gun that doesn't inflict HP damages, it shoots a beam of mercury colored energy/matter that inflicts permanent CON damage. Now that might not sound like a big deal to a human PC whose life span is measured in seconds when fighting a powerful Serpent Man (you are going to die anyway, who cares if it is bullets or whatever that kills you instantly) but for many Mythos entities that is pretty scary. That fucking snake has a gun that can permanently cripple or kill a Star Spawn or a Shoggoth.

Besides horrific death rays what technology do Serpent Men possess? It is mentioned several times in CoC that Elder Things and The Great Race of Yith will study and put into a Library any Snake tech they find so it must be useful, however exactly what their tech does isn't very clear. My best guess is that due to their individualist psychology it is all related to personal power or finding knowledge, not things intended for 'the greater good' not to say they don't understand the concept. A serpent Mans idea of 'the Greater Good' is a secure mythos free Earth with snakes telling the clever monkeys what to look out for. Sadly the Snakes are probably right.
>>
>>44683255
Bumping for Delta Green and Ben 'the Chthonian castrator' Garrison.
>>
>>44683255
>>44683255
DnD general.

GREAT IDEA, guise:
DnD is now scifi. Like all the items and npcs and loot are all scifi stuff. So awesome!

But should I laser my guns, or gun my lazors?

lel, so rendem!
>>
>>44684106
>>44684106

WTF? Is this some post bot or script? Or just some retard pretending to be one?
>>
>>44684207
No, OP. This is you making a 'general' that is nothing but fishing for compliments over your own little fetish scenario for the nth time. Stop calling your shit DG in the OP. Call it "My own little power fantasy involving reptilians and my limited understanding of US politics"-general, and we have no issue.
>>
>>44684299
So basically no one on /tg/ can have a conversation about a DG/CoC Campaign environment because your autistic self is having a temper tantrum and you don't like my Campaign world?
>>
>>44684505
Yes, child. That is exactly what the evil straw man said. Now double down and show everyone how right you can be.
>>
Do you guys run with the playtest or the supplemental DG rules? I've been meaning to give it a spin but I'm not sure which I want to use.

Also since it's CoC general do we have an archive with pdfs floating around? My collection is a bit thin in places especially concerning 3rd party.
>>
>>44684575
>do we have an archive with pdfs floating around?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu#1vhme3dxw0p1v
>>
>>44684575
>the supplemental DG rules
Whatnow?
>>
>>44684593
Thank you very much friend
>>44684603
Original '97 supplement book
>>
>>44684603
The ones from the DG supplement for CoC 5.X.
>>
>>44684553
>>44684299
>>44684299
>your own little fetish scenario
Because a CoC Now scenario or a DG Campaign should totally ignore current politics right? That is exactly why CoC is dying as a RPG genra, it isn't relevant to current politics.

Well fuck you, i'm making it relevant. You might not realize it but 30 years ago Trump and a Serpent Man had a conversation involving real estate values, the Mythos and global trade patterns. If you can't understand how to adapt the mythos to the modern day then you really need to shut up and stop playing.
>>
>>44684941
Dumb AND loud. No wonder you fetishize Trump. Must be like someone finally understands you.
>>
>>44684941
Does that crap really belong in the OP, though, as opposed to, say, a list of relevant links?
>>
>>44684976
Are you really discarding IRL as a factor in a CoC campaign? Ignore reality all you want but i will not subject my PCs to a 1995 version of reality when it is 2016.
>>
>>44685254
OP doesn't get /tg/ yet.

Generals are echo chambers where nothing relevant is ever discussed. The way to make a thread that delivers is to describe a specific issue from real life, like "I want to make _ because _, but _."

And nobody minds OP using DG crunch, or borrowing from the setting. Both are excellent. Just don't advertise a thread about a published scenario when all you want to do is undermine that scenario in a way that really doesn't get what it's about, again and again.

This basic disconnect that ignores how WoD and CoC are entirely different genres is just not something anyone wants near the mainstream. And OP not shutting up about it makes me think OP isn't really concerned with making a game, but with antagonizing /tg/. We've had this thread, several times. OP just keeps bringing it up as if those never happened.
>>
Working on a setting where the cyclopean corpse of a creature wash up on the shores of california. The PC are sent to explore it like a dungeon. Hilarity ensues
Any ideas ?
>>
>>44685254
It probably doesn't belong in the OP but is does belong here: In the modern day how will the modern era deal with the Mythos? DG is based in the 1990s, as is CoC now. They are all rather antiquated.

In this era a Serpent Man with access to Nuclear launch codes isn't a threat to humanity, he is the best friend the human race ever had.
>>
>>44685335
Why Cyclopeans? What kind of threat flavor do they represent? Greek Myth? Uncannily human monster? Alien invaders?

Why California? What kind of human society does it represent? Living on the fault line? Larger than life? Homely Americana? Entertainment industry? Our farts don't smell?

Dungeon, hilarity ensues... Are you sure you want a sanity mechanic?

Not seeing a lot to build on yet. Think about your trail of clues, starting with washed up creatures seems like cutting out the exposition. There's no ambivalence, it's pretty definitely supernatural right from the get go. How will you slowly ramp up the tension after that?

Apply a 3 act structure (you ARE in California after all) and if you get stuck, consider the hero's journey. It can usually give you a direction to take it that will work.

>>44685405
Sure, whatever. It just isn't cosmic horror.
>>
>>44685323
OP here.
>WoD and CoC are entirely different genres
>WoD
Yeah, i know that CoC and Vampire the Masquerade are different games. I knew that 20 IRL years ago. ,
>>
>>44685323
You know i was just trying to get your opinion about a Campaign idea, not get into a CoC vs WoD shitstorm.

I am actually trying to fit in Ghouls and Vampires into the campaign environment but Ghouls>Vampires<Serpent Men. The POW drain ability of vampires is a big problem it makes the Snake nervous.
>>
>>44685520
Hey, call your Carmarilla whatever you want. Make sure you provide some kind of rail to fall back on, storytellers tend to have problems with that.
>>
>>44684106
>>44684299

lmao this motherfucker has been crying over delta green in every single thread since the kickstarter was announced.

It's always exactly the same shit too, autistic fuck probably got cucked by one of the writers or something.
>>
I want to get into Delta Green. Where do I start? Lore, not rules.

>>44683255
>Fun fact of the day: You need roughly 12,000 Eyes of Light and Darkness to cover the surface area of the USA.

what does it do?
>>
>>44685712
>Where do I start? Lore, not rules.
The Delta Green sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu.
>>
Alright, before the thread devolves completely into shitposting I'd like to ask /tg/ for some advice.

I've read a lot on Delta Green but I've only recently started running it for a group of friends. So far we've had two scenarios (a fairly basic whodunnit I homebrewed with minimal mythos stuff, and then the classic puppet shows) and they went fairly well, so now I'm planning on moving us into the real meat of actually being in Delta Green. To that end I think I'm going to try running Last Things Last as written in the playtest, into Metamorphosis. I really like how well the two scenarios mesh and how easy it is to make one flow into the other, but the problem I've run into is this: the players have never heard of Delta Green and obviously I don't want to start sending them links to the material, so how do I go about explaining things like the cell structure, green boxes, and the ins and outs of how DG works to both the players and the characters while remaining engaging? I feel like just sitting everyone down at the start of the next session and giving them a huge infodump on the situation isn't going to go over well.
I've toyed with the idea of taking aside the one player who had their character die at the end of PSSP sometime before the next session and talk them through it, as their next character is probably going to be at least somewhat experienced with DG, but I'd like to hear how other people have dealt with this. Thoughts?
>>
>>44685712
Listen to the Unspeakable! podcast, read the old books (Delta Green, Targets of Opportunity, Countdown), check out the Shotgun Scenario competition entries, read the Tales from Failed Anatomies monograph, and wait for the new books to drop the progressed setting in the coming year.
>>
>>44685557
>Hey, call your Carmarilla whatever you want. Make sure you provide some kind of rail to fall back on, storytellers tend to have problems with that.

No problem dealing with the 'Camarllia" as you call it. A combined $30 billion net worth, the Secret Service in a few places not to mention Gurkha mercenaries. Eyes of Light and darkness not to mention a Serpent Man who will take care of any vampire resistance personally.

Your typical vampire might think he is the lord of the Night but when a Hunting Horror or Hound of Tindalos sent by the Serpent Man starts hunting him down in coordination with a dozen SWAT teams he will change his story pretty quickly. .

Really the story isn't Trump/Tulsa Doom 2016, if you want to involve vampires it is Trump/Thulsa Doom/Dracula.

They are all on the same side after all.
>>
>>44684106
>>44684299
>>44684553
>>44684976
>>44685323
>>44685430
>>44685557
Why so much rage over folks trying to create a RPG environment? Why try to shit on people who are trying to have a conversation about an imaginary world?
>>
>>44685825
Howe about a movie night that introduces tradecraft stuff. Ronin is a reasonable option.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.