[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages and dialects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Tengwar_modi2_EN.svg.png (565 KB, 2000x2842) Image search: [Google]
Tengwar_modi2_EN.svg.png
565 KB, 2000x2842
Tell us about the languages in your settings /tg/.

Do you go with the usual Common, Dwarfish Elvish etc.?
Or does each major culture have their own tongue, resulting in multiple human, dwarf, elf, orc etc. languages?
What about dialects and regional variations?

If you're not in Generic Fantasy Land, what other species and languages are there in your setting?

Any interesting idioms and expressions you thought of that you/ your players actually use?
>>
Bumping with a question, before I go to sleep.
Have any of you ever written a conlang?

I haven't, I'm afraid.
>>
File: flago.png (24 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
flago.png
24 KB, 2000x1333
>>44671434
In my settings Common is secretly Esperanto.
>>
File: clownbutter.png (26 KB, 365x140) Image search: [Google]
clownbutter.png
26 KB, 365x140
>>44671434
>>44672507
What race speaks Ithkuil?
>>
>>44672326
>Have any of you ever written a conlang?
Check out "Sajem Tan".
>>
>>>/int/53348315
>>
>>44672326
>Have any of you ever written a conlang?
yes
basically get russian and assume roman letters
>>
>>44674363
Do you have a site?
>>
>>44671434

I'm casually working on a language of the gods, from which all mortal languages are descended. The only magic users in the settings are actually linguists who reconstruct the gods' language in the fashion of Proto-Indo-European, since the gods' language holds inherent power.

The divine tongue is a heavily synthetic. Nouns are not inflected for number (a pluralizing particle is used to indicate the plural where necessary), but there is a system of two grammatical genders: divine and mundane nouns have different vowel endings. Adjective gender agrees with the modified noun. Verbs do not conjugate, but particles before the verb mark tense, and separate particles are used to mark aspect and mood (over time, the descendant languages will have these particles hammered into the verbs themselves, creating a wide variety of fusional conjugations).

The basic word order is Verb - Subject - Object.
>>
>>44676050
Go on.
>>
There is no Common in my setting, instead all major human cultures have their own languages. There are however racial languages, so there is Draconic, Dwarvish (with several distinct dialects), and two Elvish languages which are closely related.
>>
>>44677482
Vidu >>44677373
>>
>>>/int/53359276
>>
Safety bump
>>
>>44682844
Thanks.
>>
>>44671434
I think it's awful when every race has its own language
"Common", "Elven", "Dwarven"

be creative
>>
>>44683060
Given that the races are rare, why wouldn't they?
>>
>>44683361
If they are rare, fine

But if they are a major race that is spread in concentrations across your world, don't have them all speak the same language
>>
File: mappa-dialetti.png (390 KB, 2000x2286) Image search: [Google]
mappa-dialetti.png
390 KB, 2000x2286
>>44671434
>Dwarfish.
>Implying each dorf settlement doesn't speak an extremely specific dialect used only within their minuscule region that is near-incomprehensible to any dorf outside that region.
>>
>>44675472
nope

its not hard to do
look at this russian text
Boт тe вeщи, кoтopыe мeня интepecyют и кoтopыми я живy. Былo oчeнь пpиятнo пoзнaкoмитьcя. Увидимcя.

The same thing on my language would be
Bot te bewn kotopble'mehr ntpecyiot n
........ and this goes on

its simple way to generate a new language and works
>>
>>44684619
Now I'm imagining Italian Dwarves, and Dwarven Maffia
>>
>>44677373

Not much else to say. A lot of the vocabulary is pretty uninspired, and it's something of an inside joke that a lot of the words are in some way derived from real-life languages. For example, humans in the god tongue are called "orupi," which is just a modified "orphan," since in the setting humans have no gods of their own (the setting focuses on wandering mercenary mystics who mediate between humanity and the uncaring gods of everything, since humanity's own gods were apparently destroyed fighting the gods of death; long story).

A very simple example sentence:

[Ed] [kashu] [o] [orupi] [o] [chisoni] [kurai].

[Past tense particle] [verb: to eat] [definite article] [noun: human] [definite article] [adjective: tasty] [noun: bread].

Translation: "The human ate the tasty bread."

I haven't hammered out a full sound inventory yet, but I have decided that the original god tongue did not distinguish between voiced and unvoiced consonants, and how these were pronounced varied by the class of god (fire-related gods typically did not voice their consonants, but water gods did, for example).

Oh, and I decided that the god tongue did not initially have registers of politeness originally, as all gods were equal. But after the coming of the death gods and the inequality of power they introduced, the language got some really roundabout ways to address hierarchy, mostly in the form of convoluted appositives: "one who is like death to me (more powerful than me, essentially)" being appended to the name of a superior god one is addressing, for example.
>>
>>44686880
>>44677373
You might find Suveh Nux interesting. It's a short text adventure where you are a wizard's apprentice, stuck in your master's vault, and you must magic your way out of it.

The language in Suveh Nux is a lot simpler, though, just [verb][object]
>>
>>44687470
Helps if I post a fucking link.
http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/y6mdcmdkukivcc7kbhhjcw/suveh-nux
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.