[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer to "slow boil" when it comes to grinding,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Do you prefer to "slow boil" when it comes to grinding, (pitting the PCs against small puppies at the start) or do you go more for a "set it on high" mindset (throwing mid-high level shit at them to begin with, but start them off on a mid-high level)?
Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1446923949307.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1446923949307.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
The scale of the titans in that picture is way, way off.
>>
>>44671360
This scale is wrong, entirely.

Warhounds are about 15 meters tall, Reavers 25. The Warlord is 45 meters tall, which is about the height of the Statue of Liberty. Were it not for the narrowness of the streets, they could all walk in New York City and not even be seen above the skyscrapers.
>>
>>44671476
I still think they're too small in the "official" material. The Warlord should at least be the height of the Empire State Buildling.
>>
I run Rifts. Rifts is front loaded, so players start with everything they need and the abilities they need to use it. High level characters beat low level characters in combat, but usually their gear is roughly the same strength throughout with some minor bonuses acquired to the gear as you progress.

Check it out sometime, it's pretty refreshing compared to D&D's plan to plod along with measured forced progression that often doesn't really accomplish anything until the moment everything changes drastically.
>>
Something the scale of that Imperator would never be able to walk. At that size any ground would be too unstable, the moment it stepped on something that wasn't bedrock it'd fall.
>>
>>44671360
I dont subject my players to bullshit grinding, that is for shitty MMOs. I create a world that is logically populate, then set the players loose in it. I will use NPCs to direct them towards challenges appropriate of their level, but if the players are foolish enough to go troll hunting at lvl 1 or try to stab the local lord then they will probly die
>>
>>44671360
More the second on, myself. For one thing I tend to shy away from starting PCs off at "just begun their careers" levels in the first place. For another, my player group tends to be quite competent at building characters and deciding their tactics for the games we play, so I often have to throw things at them just a bit higher powered than their level/point pool says they should be able to take, to give them a proper challenge.

So "set it on high" winds up being the route we take.
>>
>>44671360
Anyone knows where I cant get that warlord titan?
>>
>>44671360
How about "ecosystem"? Meaning low and high levels are mixed up in the bunch and the players are encouraged to bite off what they can and cut their losses if things get too hairy?

Avoid the high levels mixed up in the crowd, and then later they get their comeuppance when the PCs are stronger?
>>
Fuck the slow boil, if the campaign doesn't start off exciting it won't last long.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.