[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monopoly, how we fix this steaming peace of shit or is it not saveble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: monopoly.jpg (299 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.jpg
299 KB, 1500x1500
Monopoly, how we fix this steaming peace of shit or is it not saveble
>>
How about teaching people how to play it properly.
>>
>>44668190
It was never meant to be fun.
>>
>>44668244
Seriously, every time I play it, nobody ever uses the rules in the booklet to make the game go at a good pace, and usually have some house rules that make it take longer. Then 2 hours later everybody is bored and wishes they did something else.
>>
>>44668190
House rules.

Simply put, take the Monopoly framework and arc-weld it to any crazy ruleset you and your drunk friends care enough to play. Add stuff about being able to buy out or knock down houses and hotels. Make Free Parking a crazy beautiful wonderspace. Go nuts.
>>
Daily reminder that Monopoly is SUPPOSED to be a shit game.
It was designed to show the folly of capitalism.
>>
>>44668305
By-the-book.

Read the ruleset, be sure to know it or that at least everyone knows a bit of it, enough to play it with fluidity.

But yeah it's mostly a game of rolling a high number and buying shit.
>>
>>44668342
Then an easy way to finish the game early would be to do an agressive OPA on the other players' business by beating the shit out of them and stealing their cards. Or just, you know, burn the game, kick the players out, sit there with your mountain of fake money and yell "I WIN".
>>
First we replace the board to enable non-linear movement. A Hexagon-based board would be good. Separate hexes is good and modular.
Next up we randomize where the "sites" are to make sure there isn't one "Best spot all game every game" area. Add in more blank "space" hexes than "sites" hexes.

Our next step is to modernize and catch the player's interest. What is hip today? Space. New Star Wars movie is out and the recent flyby of Pluto has sparked a increased interest in space exploration. So let's rename every "site" to represent a planet, moon or planetoid. Let's make START into EARTH for simplicity's sake and put it in the middle of the board.

CHANCE and COMMUNITY CHEST are renamed EXPLORATION and RESEARCH GRANT. The actual cards are replaced with tokens and each planet/moon/planetoid gets one of each token, but only a few of those placed actually has the symbol that gives you any bonuses.

FREE PARKING has, in my opinion, never been utilized correctly so let's replace that with a communal refueling station, handing out one extra move "pip" to anyone on it, eg you roll a 3 while on the Refueling Station "site" and you get on 4 moves.
JAIL is removed completely as it removes player choice and is thus bad design, the same with the GO TO JAIL area.

There, I give you: SPACE CAPITALISM
>>
>>44668190

The game's fine if you follow the auction rules as written and don't randomly give people bonus money. Unfortunately every time people play this game they ignore the auction rules and introduce some bullshit house rules about how landing on free parking gives you a shit ton of bonus money or that heavily restrict what trades people can make. Then they complain the game takes too long and is too luck based, but they don't think of using the rules that are designed to limit RNG or remove their bullshit free parking house rule that just makes things take an extra hour.
>>
>>44668190
Rules as Written makes the game a lot quicker. Our playgroup solved that too quickly though, so we added the Buyout rule from fortune street:
>When you land on a property owned my another player and is NOT part of a full color group, after paying rent, you may then pay that player 5x the list value of the property. If you do, gain ownership of that property.

In practice: PlayerA owns boardwalk, playerB owns park place and lands on boardwalk. After paying the $50 rent, playerB can then pay playerA an additional $2000 to buy out boardwalk.

It's broken the staleness of the game by "forcing" sales, while also emphasizing keeping cash on hand instead of in one-of properties.
>>
>>44668575
I like this. But instead of removing jail, make it a choice between waiting three turns, or paying a bribe.
>>
>>44668190
Properties are sold by auction only. When a player lands on an unowned property that starts an auction for that property that anyone can bid on. The game is more about making calculated investments and less about landing on the right spaces at the start of the game.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.