[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powerball's tonight fa/tg/uys. What would you do with nearly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12
File: party time.png (28 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
party time.png
28 KB, 236x236
Powerball's tonight fa/tg/uys. What would you do with nearly a billion dollars?
>>
Fund as much SCIENCE! as reasonably possible.
>>
>>44666544
Finally be able to afford a single average-priced mini.
>>
Create a battle school.
>>
>>44666544
You'll only actually get around 500 million.

Taxes kind of ram their fist up your ass when you win large sums like that.
>>
Make a bunch of savings accounts and live off the interest, and never have to work again.
>>
>>44666544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VbU4KkYyA
>>
>>44666658
That's still a hell of a lot of money. Plus, I thought there was an option to receive the winnings in smaller installments.
>>
>>44666658
Why you ask for partial sum every month
>>
>>44666717
>>44666727
You'll still lose a good 40%+ of your winnings.

Sure, it's a lot, but damn, do they take a good chunk of it away.
>>
>>44666544
begin collecting warhammer again
>>
>>44666776
Some places need the taxes.
I remember an old lotto winner show and they took the lump sum because their town was utter shit and lacked money.
The big tax helped them.
>>
Try to invest it wisely and not spend it all at once. I once had a large sum of money (Inheritance, but nearly 800M) and burned through it in a bout a year, since I never had that much money before, and I was convinced I'd never be able to get through it all, as I never dealt with that much money before, and I was never taught how to handle it properly.

Like, if you play your cards right, you could definitely make that money work for you. You just need to not be frivolous with it.
>>
>>44666814
Some places just need officials that are more responsible with budget.
Actually, most places do.
>>
>>44666969
How the hell do you burn through 800M in a year? I literally cannot comprehend the level of frivolity and financial incompetence required to do that.
>>
>>44666776
>>44666658
>libertarian filth

Please leave
>>
>>44666544
Real answer? Keep it in the bank, wait until price-earnings ratio drops a little more, and buy a diverse portfolio of stocks.

Then pretty much leave it alone until I decide I want to retire.

Also I'd buy an Oculus Rift and a computer powerful to run it.
>>
File: 1421097050358.gif (4 MB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
1421097050358.gif
4 MB, 630x354
>>44666658
>only 500 million
>>
>>44666969
>800M
>burnt through it in a year
How many islands did you buy?
>>
>>44666969
There is a story time here.

Or at least a lot of hookers and blow I want to experience vicariously through your story time.
>>
>>44667222
I assume it's actually due to some kind of stupid financial mismanagement due to incredibly poor decisions rather than ultrahedonistic excess.
>>
>>44667275
Or he could be full of shit.
>>
What I would do is shut the fuck up and don't tell anyone I know about it. I'll say I came into some money and move to a nicer house. But a nicer car and try to further my education a little more so I can finally get my master's degree.
>>
Pay the house off, pay the car off, make a lot of low risk, long term investments.

Then go back to doing what I was doing already.

Maybe go on a trip to see the world in a couple years, once everything has stabilized.
>>
>>44666969
I cannot even comprehend how to spend 1M in a year, let alone 800x that
>>
>>44666544
Stocks, savings bonds, ect.
>>
>>44667417
this

Use the money to allow myself to live without worries of debt for me or my children or their children's children for centuries.

Spend the rest to do whatever I want to do without needing to work
>>
>>44666544
Buy 10,000 points worth of Necrons, Tyranids, and Tau.

Buy 10,000 points worth of UCM, Scourge, PHR, and Shaltari.

Buy a nice house with a massive gaming room and commission a nice as fuck table.

Open 16 bank accounts, put 4 million total in savings, figure out a way to constantly get my dividends sent to checking or whatever.

Put literally everything else into a mutual fund.
>>
>>44667061
>make a factual statement with no political subtext

>someone shits the bed about it

/pol/ please leave.
>>
>>44666544
>Buy land
>Build house
>Buy decent used car
>Get family out of debt
>Incorporate as a tax shell
>Hire somebody to make investments for shell corp
>Pay self wage
>Charitable donations to offset taxes
>Live for the rest of my life on $150k/year
>>
>>44667520
>implying /pol/ isn't chock full of Libertarian shits
Besides, it's still a good point. You only getting half a billion out of the 800 million you were supposed to win, from just the two dollars you spent on it, is a very selfish concern.

>I paid 2 dollars
>Oh look, I won 800 million!
>I only got 500 million, what a rip off!
It'd be different if you maid that money from legitimate work, but still.
>>
>>44666969
>Burnt through $800m in a year

Are you actually Greece or something?
>>
>>44666544
Move out to Bend, OR, buy a plot of land with a nice house on it and start a cute little Art-House theater in town. With the rest, invest in renewable energy and agriculture.
>>
File: 123456.jpg (68 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
123456.jpg
68 KB, 650x650
>>44666544
>What would you do with nearly a billion dollars?

Start a lottery, so I could turn it into a trillion off the backs of gullible fucks like you.
>>
>>44667693
Sorry, I'm on a low-sodium diet. You need to leave.
>>
>>44667572
I, again, wasn't making a political statement.

The money you win you don't get all of, plain and simple, that is a fact.

I wasn't saying you should get it, or you deserve it, or you earned it, I said you don't get all of it, because it is true.

Now go to /pol/ if you want to bitch about political ideals.

Damn you guys are annoying.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 1056x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 1056x816
Short term I would get a house built and get a new car, new consoles and gaming pc. After that get some dental work done (I have a cracked tooth and ankther needs a filling). Then talk to financial and tax advisors.

Then I'd look into opening the greatest /tg/ store imaginable. Have a weekend every few weeks for freebie drawings and stuff.
>>
Assuming I only get around 500M after taxes....

0. Tell no one, except those I absolutely need to to get the money into my bank account.
1. Take 1-5Mill and donate it. Churches, homeless shelters, foodlink, whatever.
2. Take 20Mill and stick it in a savings account, and then never touch it. This is my "backup" fund account in case I fuck up spectacularly and lose it all, I'll have something left over.
3. Divide about 50Mill into some interest-building accounts and live off the interest for the rest of my life, never having to work again.
4. Buy a house and computer(maybe a car when I get my license).
5. When/If I have kids, drop 5Mill into a 20-25 year interest building account each, then transfer ownership of the account to them when they turn 25.

Then spend the rest on whatever I guess.
>>
>>44666544
Commission a shitload of art for my campaign setting from industry artists like Chase Stone, Chris Rahn, Peter Mohrbacher, Volkan Baga, Magali Villeneuve, Karla Ortiz, Tyler Jacobson, and Nils Hamm.

I don't know what they tend to charge, but seven artists at twenty-two pieces each would be a total of 154 pieces, so I could easily pay something like $10K a piece.
>>
>>44666544
Buy a house and car, pay off all my bills, get the most monstrous PC I can possibly build, and then hire a Portfolio manager, and have my money put into high risk, high reward investments. With so much money as a buffer, I should be able to rake in the dough without any issue, and live comfortably the rest of my life.
>>
buy 4chan
>>
Invest it, use the proceeds to find some business course, set up a little publishing company.
>>
>>44666544
Long term investment with slow but stable growth.

Quit my job.

Buy a big-ass mansion in a remote location, plus furnishings.

Buy as good a computer as is available to the public.

Live like a hermit for the rest of my natural lifespan, with instruction that all the money go to charity upon my death.
>>
Many boring answers here no shit your but a Manson and a car, pay off debts and live on interest. Post the/ related things you would do.

I will be buying the Warhammer Fantasy Battle IP from evil Workshop for a price they can't refuse. Next stop will be redirecting WFB and Warhammer Quest.
>>
>>44668873

If much rather finance and distribute new IPs than bail out old ones
>>
A black woman just told asked me if she should volunteer at a business to improve her odds of getting into college.

I said sure, colleges love that sort of thing, and businesses love free labor.

Did I just unintentionally make a slavery joke?

I wonder if that would make black people uncomfortable. I don't want to trigger anyone.
>>
>>44669093
Thank you for that completely irrelevant blogpost.
>>
>>44669124
Oh, sorry, I thought we were on /b/, off topic blogging, given the nature of the thread.
>>
Would you use the money to make a new RPG, a new boardgame, new CCG or new miniatures wargame?
>>
I'd pretty much continue how I live now and just set my financial security like everybody else, but one of my main splurges would be a gaming club.

>buy this huge 3 story nursing home near me that never actually got started because lack of funding, so now it's just sitting there 90% built, most parts just need paint
>already has swimming pools, jacuzzis, gym, etc.
>set up a bunch of screens everywhere with /tg/ related stuff, blogs, etc
>wargaming tables take up one hall
>pnps another
>card game hall with extra air freshener dispensers
>a strip mall worth of /tg/ shit for sale
>fucking /tg/ themed restaurant inside

I don't even give a fuck if it doesn't make money, I'd fine with keeping this alive as long as it's fun for me to be involved with so it will be like my leisure money and otherwise I invest the cash, besides my personal meager living standards.
>>
Buy the nearby decommissioned military base, expand and refurbish fallout shelter, and use one of the radar station bases as the foundation for a tower house with an observatory at the top. Then I'd tear down all the crumbling base housing and refurbish the main base buildings and invite my friends up for massive games of hide-and-go seek.

Then I'd pay off my debts and invest a bunch of the rest, and spend the rest of my life alternately collecting degrees and taking a year or two off for fun.
>>
>>44669646
That's pretty legit shit there, bro. Throw in other general geekery stuff in some places and it'd be paradise.
>>
File: Mystery_manor_1.png (874 KB, 946x438) Image search: [Google]
Mystery_manor_1.png
874 KB, 946x438
>>44669646
In this vein there's a big former fire station with some cool architecture in my town, time for a refurbishment into gaming store/enigmatic home me thinks.
>>
File: Mystery_manor_2.png (1 MB, 1080x466) Image search: [Google]
Mystery_manor_2.png
1 MB, 1080x466
>>44670322
And a few more angles.
>>
File: Mystery_manor_3.png (972 KB, 1031x436) Image search: [Google]
Mystery_manor_3.png
972 KB, 1031x436
>>44670337
>>
>>44670337
I see that and it screams Ghostbusters.

Do it, it'll be awesome!
>>
>>44670322
>>44670337
>>44670361
>Install necessary underlighting, sound effects, smoke machines, hidden passageways
>Pay homeless people to dress up as society party-goers, robed cultists, cops, mansion staff, etc.
>Tell your closest friends you got a work-related invite to a "weird party," convince them to come as guests so you'll have people to talk to
>Stage an elaborate real-life CoC game
>>
>>44670493
Just as soon as I win the lottery I never play Anon.
>>
Buy my grandma's acreage. Make a fantasy-style village. Hire actors to staff it year-round.

Charge admission.
>>
File: 1451799980463.jpg (39 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1451799980463.jpg
39 KB, 600x800
Honestly, I'd start a wrestling promotion.

I live in New York state, and there is currently jack and shit in the ways of indie wrestling outside of NYC, and there are few companies worth a damn in the city in the first place. I would dump my money into getting a quality ring, a good logo/brand, some decent production equipment (so I can sell DVDs from the very first show onwards), and getting as many top names from the indies, Mexico, Japan, and Europe as possible, putting on crazy dream matches with creative and original gimmicks, stipulations, and storylines. I'd be like an East Coast Pro Wrestling Guerilla with bits of craziness in the vein of Chikara, DDT, or even Lucha Underground.
>>
Probably hire some people to be a constant player pool for 50k a year a piece with benefits.
>>
>>44666580
So...not much then?
>>
File: vESj1.gif (778 KB, 245x190) Image search: [Google]
vESj1.gif
778 KB, 245x190
>>44670531
This anon is brilliant person.

>>44666544
As for me, I'd probably buy Birhright from WotC and make a OSR\4e\story\Board-FrankenGame of it. Loads of digital DM tools and several options for mass battle systems and domain management.

And then I'd be boring with the rest.
>>
>>44666544
Open a gaming store, hire a few college kids to run it, sell stuff at a slight loss, offer free refreshments and WiFi, and come in and game now and then when I'm not off going full /k/ommando at my place.
>>
>>44666969
Either you're full of it, or you meant 800k.
>>
>>44670531
I think my friends would be a bit turned off of a real-life Corruption of Champions game. But I like your style.
>>
>>44667838 #

If 500k is the right amount, then 500000 1$ lottery tickets.
>>
Take 2 million, buy a nice, but not luxurious house, splurge a bit on a nice luxury car--I like to drive, so it'd be money well spent. Take the rest and slam that bitch into the bank and live very comfortably off the interest for the rest of my life. At that amount of money, low interest doesn't even matter. .01% of the remaining 298 million is still 2 million a year, which is way more than I need.
>>
File: It'll work I swear..png (247 KB, 267x412) Image search: [Google]
It'll work I swear..png
247 KB, 267x412
>>44666544
Finally get my long distance relationship to work out. Buy a LGS/Pub joint venue and settle down. Set up a VIP list of players from games and groups that aren't shit so I can always have fun people to hang out with.
>>
File: 1310272188802.jpg (4 KB, 126x125) Image search: [Google]
1310272188802.jpg
4 KB, 126x125
>>44666544
I'd spend half my money on alcohol and women. The rest I'd just spend foolishly.
>>
>>44671288
200 grand, rather. Forgot a decimal.
>>
Buy up old missile silos and make clubs akin to that old /tg/ plan. Snacks on me
>>
File: sisterofboner.jpg (91 KB, 433x650) Image search: [Google]
sisterofboner.jpg
91 KB, 433x650
>>44666544
buy gamesworkshop and make GW great again.
>>
>>44673314
Came here to say this.
>>
Use it to buy a vintage mtg deck and then use the leftover change to go to the movies.
>>
Buy like three figures
>>
>>44666544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmW2tZP2kU
>>
>>44673314
I'm not sure if that's really feasible. The better option would be to simply make your own miniatures wargame and go from there.
>>
>>44667572
>waaah you don't deserve the money so we're going to take it from you and give it to people who we think deserve it
- t. Progressive
>>
>>44668521
>0. Tell no one, except those I absolutely need to

Protip: part of the fine print is the lotto company gets to use your face for marketing purposes.
You're going to be in every tabloid and there will be shitty reporters hounding you, not to mention all the criminals who will make damned sure to memorize your face.
>>
>>44675954
>criminals who will memorize your face
Fucking hell, that's unsettling.
>>
>>44675954
Not in all states. Some let you remain anonymous, either directly or through a LLC, others let you wait until weeks after the drawing to claim.

And if you just bug off out of the country after you win, your chances of being recognized drop.

Still, let's focus on all the badass /tg/ shit one could do/buy!

>Your own game store
>Your own game company
>All them minis

Just damn!
>>
pay off family debts and invest the rest in stock, a roth ira, and various mutual funds of varying stability
>>
>>44675954
depends on the state, some states allow anonymous winners, some don't
>>
>>44666544

Argue about Paladins on the internet
>>
>>44676373
roll up in GW headquarters like whaddup, I got a few mil to drop on the WHFB IP, sign it over

>become the hero /tg/ needs

although not sure if this would work if age of shitmar is wrapped up in old fluff, I guess not since it still has the chaos gods etc
>>
>>44676672
So act as if nothing has changed?

BRILLIANT!
>>
I would save most of it, put away some for college for me and my sisters, help my parents pay off their house, and donate a lot of it too.
>>
>>44676694
Not likely to happen because it's not a private company, it's a public one. You'll need to buy the shares
>>
>>44675954
Yeah, how many people who have won the lotto have been murdered for their money?
>>
>>44676750
A number but not enough to warrant getting worried really.
>>
>>44676859
What about for the largest ever lottery prize in recorded history?
>>
>>44670322
Where is this? Guessing England?
>>
>>44677198
Get some fucking protection and shit. You'll be rich beyond belief, people should be more worried about you!
>>
I really hope I could remain anonymous, else my life would become hell.
>Have a large number of family members I hate that live in other states who already try to talk about me all the time, implying they wouldn't come on even stronger without
>Live in gated community but not the best part of town
>Have deadbeat parents who would no doubt demand huge amounts of money
>I actually enjoy my job and would keep doing it for a little extra cash and something to do; but would probably get harassed by degenerates who found out

It's just like being famous in general. It's probably better to just avoid it. Keep it in the realm of your dreams, the reality would probably be worse.
>>
>>44667352
This. No need to flaunt the fact that you're in a new tax bracket. Just be humble, get a few nice things, invest in a business venture, and help family/friends as needed
>>
>>44667352
Smartest post in this thread. Nobody will suspect the guy in a Black Highlander and a pretty 2 story home in a nice neighborhood to have a Net worth over $550,000,000. Obviously security and keeping your money will have to come first so a couple legal measures need to be taken and a decked out futuristic security system is in order.
>>
>>44666544
Get my pilots license, start my own small short range airbus company.
>>
>>44666544
So first things first, i would take 1mil and set it aside for fun money. The rest would be invested or stored in high yield savings accounts. Because 500 mil at even 2% a year is a 10 mil a year income. And once you put 10 million dollars into your pocket every january 1st, you are fucking free.

Live where you want. Go where you want. Build a fucking tower by the seashore and fill it with all the nerdy things you love. Fund a LGS and only ask that they turn some kind of profit each year. Buy that ridiculous hypercar you always wanted and then actually drive it all the time. Find a local school that is shit. Make it not shit, because you exist.

And the best part is, you just keep getting richer. Oh a bad year or two might eat into your holdings, but if you are careful and smart and spread your wealth over several safe investments, it wont last. You will recover. There is a reason that something like 80% of the worlds wealth is concentrated in like 500 people: its because once you have it made, people will pay you to make more money with your money.

I would be free, OP. I would use the money to be truly free. I would buy the time I always wanted to do the things I always wanted. And when that got boring, I would try and help save the world.
>>
>>44666544
Keep like $50 million for myself as a "never work again" fund, use the rest to found a real-estate and venture capital investment company.

We will have a division devoted specifically to helping out promising, gaming-related Kickstarter projects which are having trouble delivering on their promises.
>>
First up, responsible shit. Secure my comfort and that of my family for years to come.

Second, start funding stem cell research to fix mom, or whatever seems most likely to work.

Third, get my parents a comfy house in NZ or something so they leave me alone.

Fourth, find myself a sweet place to live in a good city. Seattle, maybe, or Portland. Somewhere in the Northwest.

Fifth, buy the world's best gaming rig and play nothing but minecraft. Have a 360 degree camera setup, best audio equipment in the world, become the world's richest 5-viewer Twitch stream.

Sixth, I get myself a big ol' bus, hire a few drivers, invite a few friends, and cruise the USA. See the sights, do the things, be the ultimate tourist. Fill terabytes of storage space with pictures and videos. Just spend a couple years doing that, document the whole journey.

Then I hire a documentary producer to make a movie about it.

Seventh?

I make Dragons.

I pour every spare penny I can find into funding genetic research to somehow crossbreed winged lizards and maybe somehow possibly get them to breathe fire. Have scientists breed pet dragons that people can buy. Have them in a range of sizes, from rodent-sized to "really big dog" sized. Hold my own random competition every so often to find a family worthy of owning their own dragon.

I'd be the fucking WILLY WONKA of dragons. Like if Willy Wonka did Jurassic Park.
>>
>>44666544
Buy GW and fire everyone.
>>
To everyone who says "Fire/Buy/Own GW". How will you plan on running a business like that when I presume none of you have the experience required to do so without the company failing?
>>
>>44666544
buy land
>>
>>44677961
I just want to put everyone who works there in the breadline. After that I'll sell the IPs to Hasbro, lol
>>
>>44677887
I like you, anon. You dream big.
>>
Punch my dad for being a football addicted shit then move out.
>>
>>44666544
Give half to my sister, half the remainder to my mother, half the remainder to charity then shove the rest in the bank, get a full medical done to find out every little thing wrong with me and go backpacking for the rest of my life.
>>
>>44666544
Pay for a house, pay for college, live comfortably and begin wisely investing portions of it. I want the comfy life.
>>
>>44666544
Take lump sum, I think someone did the math and it comes out better than as a series of payments. Hire a really good investment firm. Like one of the really good ones. Find good lawyers and finacial advisors. Possibly change my legal name and address. Then be very careful. Lotto winners have a really high suicide rate and most of them are really unhappy later on in life.
>>
>>44679618
Probably because they're idiots and assume that the money is infinite so they constantly spend and give until they end up bankrupt and can't handle being as poor or poorer than they were before they hit it big.
>>
>>44679967
No, there's other reasons. Even a millionaire who won the lotto committed suicide so it isn't a matter of money management. Many become estranged from family and friends, and find themselves constantly asked for money.
>>
>>44666544
Pay off most of my debt.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.