[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever played an old timey pugilist? You should.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: swordfighting-300x300.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
swordfighting-300x300.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
Have you ever played an old timey pugilist? You should.
>>
>>44664719
Sir Humphrey Barrington Parker, Esquire: Gentleman Boxer and wrester. At your service.
>>
>>44664719
I currently playing mercenary captain with heavy plate armor, shield, and heavy mace, also a good brawler and boxer. Does that count?
>>
>>44664719
"Old timey pugilist" basically means "show fighter with no conception of defensive technique".
>>
>>44664719
>>
>>44665404
The best defense is a reckless offense
>>
File: Barton-Wright.jpg (64 KB, 512x696) Image search: [Google]
Barton-Wright.jpg
64 KB, 512x696
>>44664719
Would a Bartitsu expert count?
>>
>>44665475
Nah nah, don't go on the offense before you have a strong defense. This is basic Sun Tzu. If you commit to an assault without having some sort of fall-back plan, without being able to defend yourself if something goes wrong, then you're putting all your chickens in one basket. It's like tossing a coin, hoping the guy's weak enough to fold, and if he doesn't you're screwed. That double edged shit isn't smart.
>>
>>44665404
So, basically a mook, who's got one strike before comeback kills him?
>>
>>44665515
Put Sun Tzu in a ring with 'Mad Billy, Fuck me is he mad' McTavish and we'll see how much of his shit works!
>>
File: dudley2.jpg (219 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
dudley2.jpg
219 KB, 1240x1754
You have no dignity.
>>
>>44665556
Anger doesn't work in boxing, not when boxers know how to spot openings and exploit patterns. It's true that the best defense is a good offense: but you need a good defense before launching a good offense.
>>
>>44665404
>>44665515
Now wait, plenty of classical boxing manuals from the Pre-Marquis rules era devote time to stances and blocking. It seems a disingenuous to call any bare-knuckle pugilist without defense.
>>
>>44665630
We are not talking about boxing, we're talking about a semi-competent nutcase fighting what may well be regular mooks.
>>
>>44665452
>>
>>44665648
True, I guess. It wasn't a lot more advanced than simply blocking, though. On the other hand, it also matters what you mean by "old timey". I think of "old timey pugilism" as being that pre-Mendoza era of extremely basic defense through blocking. S'pose there's a lot of variation between what two people mean by "old timey pugilist" though. I was exaggerating a bit as well.
>>
File: ora.jpg (6 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
ora.jpg
6 KB, 100x100
>>44664719
>>44665452
>>
>>44664719

This is the *only* correct way to implement the Monk class in a Victorian steampunk setting.
>>
>>44666470
Shit, I just looked it up. It was almost a full century between Mendoza and the Marquess of Queensbury rules. I gotta learn to refresh my memory before posting.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.