[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good Horus heresy novels? I'm thinking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
What are some good Horus heresy novels? I'm thinking about getting some of them and I want to know which ones are the better and the worst.
>>
>>44655423
there are none
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1875x1964) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1875x1964
>>44655423
>>
>>44655423
Just do yourself a favour and read whichever one is about your favourite chapter or something.
You don't get any space marine books for a quality reading experience, you get them because you'd rather read about space marines and dork out on 40k lore than buy a book in a store that doesn't sell warhammerz.
The best 40k book is still just mediocre grimdark sci-fi, and most of them are pretty crap.

As someone who LOVES 40k and nerding out on lore, I'd still urge you to find some torrent with the old 2000AD comics or pick up Armor, Leviathan Wakes or Old Man's War instead.
>>
>>44655780
Everyone says that the BL library books are shit and I've read quite a few of them and can say that I enjoy them a lot. Have I just grown used to mediocre writing? A Thousand Sons made me cry.

Should I read "real" literature(Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, Orwell etc)?
>>
>>44655897
There's nothing wrong with reading genre literature, it's just that 40k novels are written by the same type of mercenaries that churn out Star Wars or Forgotten Realms novels rather than being known for their own creations.

They're just not very good, but they're written for a pre-existing audience that comes for free with the setting.

Think of them as all those videogames that were made as tie-ins to movies, without the franchise they're just shit games. Except that Riddick one, that was tight.
>>
>>44656149
I just feel like I should expand my horizons... I don't feel like going on /lit/ so can you recommend me some non-genre literature?
>>
>>44656387
Do you have any kind of criteria for what you'd enjoy exploring? Like, do you want to read War and Peace or do you want to read some historical adventure novels?
>>
>>44655509
I agree with this anon except for Vulkan lives who isn't thaaaaaat bad ( it is not good, but not Heresy level )
>>
>>44657292
But not mediocre*
>>
>>44655509
I wouldn't put Horus Rising or The Flight of the Eisenstein that high. Currently up to the latter right now, and I feel both of those are the worst of the first four.

Horus Rising because all of the characters are dull as hell, from Space Marine to remembrancer, and barely have any outstanding traits or personality quirks. It wasn't until False Gods that they started actually feeling like characters and not props, and I started seeing a more distinct difference between them all. The Mournival especially; I felt there was very little that identified its members in Horus Rising, but False Gods better-established their differences.

For Eisenstein, I can't really place my finger on it. I'm only about half-way through, and it's gotten better. The characters in it definitely stand out more than in Horus Rising (even though it's an almost completely different cast), which is at all, but maybe the cast is just less compelling. Loken ended up bring one of my favorite 40k characters of all time, for instance, once False Gods came around. Maybe Garro just needs time.
>>
>>44655509
Legion should be a tier lower. Horus Rising a tier higher.
>>
>>44655509
Legion was awful. Like REALLY awful, you want a book about alpha legion astartes ? Fuck you, get some retards flapping their cocks around and throw some bland shit around, yay a book. Just put a Hydra brand somewhere and bam : Legion.
>>
>>44655509
It's that 6-10 part that really turns people off the series. Mechanicum was great, but Descent of Angels, Legion, Battle for the Abyss and Fallen Angels were so fucking shit.
Like something C.S. Goto would write. Having to slump through that part is a good way to kill all interest in the series.
>>
File: novels.png (3 MB, 1875x1964) Image search: [Google]
novels.png
3 MB, 1875x1964
>>44655509
fixed
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.