[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Niv-Mizzet a mary sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
Is Niv-Mizzet a mary sue?
>>
No.
>>
He's a dragon... so same thing?
>>
They're made by WOTC so they have to be.
>>
>>44653048

Mary Sues are non-canon fanfiction characters.

If you don't understand a word but still use it in the hopes of looking smart, most of the time you'll end up looking stupid when someone like me comes along and puts you in your place. :)
>>
>>44653048
If you don't think he's cool, yes.
>>
>>44653048
No, but his friend Jace is
>>
No. He's an intelligent dragon but he has a serious ego complex. Additionally, in one of the UR, he has been researching planeswalkers but has not exactly been infalliable.
>>
>>44653048
No, his hubris causes him to make mistakes. Plus, he is 10,000 years old. A Mary Sue would be as smart as him at 10 years old.
>>
>>44653048
No, he's a powerful asshole with an ego the size of a moon.
Perfectly normal for a Dragon.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (43 KB, 514x601) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
43 KB, 514x601
> Is a planeswalker a Mary Sue?

Did you even have to ask this question OP? The answer is always yes.
>>
File: reaction image number six.jpg (18 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
reaction image number six.jpg
18 KB, 309x309
>>44653099
Not him, but it looms pretty stupid when you berate someone for being stupid, when you are the one us8ng the phrase incorrectly. Mary Sue's are supposed to be infalliable all powerful self insert characters. Fan fiction doesn't matter.
>>
>>44653183
>Niv-Mizzet
>planeswalker
>>
>>44653183
>Niv Mizzet
>Plansewalker
Why is this thread full of idiots?
>>
>>44653048
Nivm-Izzet is pretty cool eh draws cards and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>44653048
No, because he is not a perspective character or a protagonist. The story has never been about him.
>>
>>44653240
>Why is this thread full of idiots?

It's a thread about Magic the Gathering, that's pretty much a given.
>>
>>44653048
he's a dragon mage who's had millennium to study magical and non magical subjects so of course he's going to be powerful and successful
>>
>>44653048
Post weatherlight era named character in emp/tg/ = mary sue

>>44653099
2015 +1 not knowing what a Merry Souix is. Back to deviumblreddit.
>>
>>44653048
>Mary Sue?

>Is the character all powerful?
Apparently, impossibly intelligent, to the extent that the tap into system occasionally refers to him as omniscient. Also, in terms of raw strength he's a power player in the high tiers of Ravnica.

>Is the character universally loved?
The other guilds regard him somewhere between an insane high int low wis retard and an upfront risk on the stability of Ravnica itself. Standing with the guildless is poor as well, because Izzet is synonymous with wanton destruction even more than they're known for construction.

>Is the character without flaw?
Overwhelming narcissism defines him as much as his intelligence and dragon-ness.

>Answer?
Not a whole lot more than most other elder dragons in fiction, but Niv toes the line.
>>
>>44654474
Oh god, these memes are 3dank5me.
>>
>>44653417
Holy shit, how big is the fedora you're wearing?
>>
>>44653048
fo rizzet dawg
>>
>>44655656
But within the Izzet he's like a god. Everyone in the guild wishes they could meet him or that he'd cast a glance upon their work. They designed the guild logo in his likeness. So, if the main story of Magic was about the Izzet guild, then Niv-Mizzet would be the Maryest of Sues. But it's not. He's kind of small potatoes in the scheme of things.

As much as everybody shits on Jace, Jace isn't really a Sue either. He's not well-liked. Gideon doesn't really like him, the people of Ravnica I think mostly see him as a necessary evil, he doesn't make friends. Being a telepath puts people off because he might just be magic-ing them into liking him. Plus his position as the Guildpact means he's often the bearer of bad news. We've seen him fail at physical tasks like climbing and fighting, so he's not all powerful. Even his mind magic has been seen through by Chandra and Ob Nixilis. In one of the recent Uncharted Realms, Nixilis broke his face. Jace has a couple of character flaws, too. Namely, he's a pushover when it comes to Liliana (an ex of his) and is overly proud of his abilities (to the point where he tends to consider himself better than common people and mind-controls them when they don't go along with him). He thinks he's so smart that he went against Ugin's advice and tried to kill the Eldrazi on Zendikar, which according to Ugin would just release them to devour other worlds. We'll see how that turns out. So, all in all, I think Jace is pretty alright. Gideon, on the other hand...
>>
>>44656186
>Gideon, on the other hand...
Lost to three inches of muddy water?
>>
File: plasm capture.jpg (215 KB, 1280x935) Image search: [Google]
plasm capture.jpg
215 KB, 1280x935
>>44653048
He did sort of get his ass handed to him by a bunch of four-colored relatively minor antagonists and can be defeated by precisely directed Flubber, so... I'll go with no.
>>
>>44656208
That's no way to talk about Mr. Nixilis.

By the way, Ob Nixilis is one of the best things to come out of Zendikar.
>that thousand-year-old grudge
>that unyielding determination to dig his way out of his subterranean prison by hand
>those centuries of experience dueling and murdering opponents on Jace and Gideon's level before even coming onto the scene
>that bloodlust that made him stick around to punch some fuckers when he should have just left
>>
>>44653099
>Refusing to accept more commonly used definitions of words.
>>
>>44653048
He keeps getting his experiments blow on his face and having to pretend it was part of the plan. And he was beaten up so badly by a Nephilim he had to go hide in the north pole so no one would see him weep like a bitch while mending his wounds.
>>
>>44656210
>get his ass handed to him by a bunch of four-colored relatively minor antagonists

Not before he straight ate 2 of them.
>>
>>44656342
>sticking around to thoroughly dick the heroes and zendikar, simply and solely because it'd torture the elf who fucked his plans to leave without incident previously.

If Ulamog and Kozilek are actually dead, Nixilis will have been the single good thing to come to light in Battle for Zendikar's lore, but holy shit is he a good villain.
>>
>>44653048
I want niv-mizzet senpai to notice me
>>
>>44656186
>Gideon, on the other hand
Gideon just gets insanely op cards

A planeswalker turning into a creature should run the risk of getting destroyed especially a fucking 5/5

Lore wise I don't really know much about him your right about jace though.
>>
>>44656186
>Gideon, on the other hand...
Keeps trying to help and failing.
OGW is his first actual victory.
If any walker is on Sue territory it's Nissa. They're even trying very hard to make us forget she was Elf Hitler and the reason the Eldrazi were free, all because she's a racist asshole. Now she's fucking mother teresa with nature powers.
>>
>>44653099
>:)

Stop that
>>
>>44659856
> >:)

Get out normie, REEEE.
>>
>>44659822
The Worldwaker UR was fine, good even, succeeding in making Nissa an interesting, engaging character.

Every fucking UR since, where Nissa's become the single fucking terrible writer on the team's pet and main responsibility, has been agonizing, an awful insult for both the good and bad Nissas before.
>>
File: 645.png (369 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
645.png
369 KB, 680x383
>>44653183
>Niv-Mizzet is a planeswalker
>>
>>44656342

I want Ob to ebcome the new face of black.

>resisted chandra triple fire spell combo
>punched nissa
>punched jace
>punched gideon
>freed himself from the chain veil
>learned lithomancy
>awoke kozilek
>>
>>44656342
So you could say that he has an... Ancient Grudge?
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/41317487/

i loved that thread.
>>
>>44656210
>>44658087
Which book did this happen in? I've been debating buying one or two MtG books and I'm starting to lean towards Ravnica.
>>
>>44663626
The second or third Ravnica I think. It's surely in the first cycle.
>>
>>44653048
Yes.
>>
>>44659110

Ulamog and Kozilek are confirmed dead in the last thread anon.

Scorched to dead by fucking NEOWALKER CHANDRA.
>>
>>44663885
Welp, powerful titans burned to death? How in the world?

Thats fucking bad writing
>>
>>44663885
Hand in the pond, etc.

Also, Chandra maybe can ignore the mending. Not too much detail was put into exactly how the purifying fire works, but from what we know Chandra should either be slinging around white magic or she should have lost her spark.
>>
Now we just have to wait for wizards to make super creature arch type and make him a lich. Zombie dragon wizard
>>
>>44656186
>They designed the guild logo in his likeness.
Dude, it regularly gets redesigned. By Niv.

And every time it is, it gets closer and closer to a self-portrait.
>>
>>44656342
I loved him for punching out Jace.

"You always kill the telepath first."

Words to live by.
>>
>>44653117
This.
>>
>>44653099
hyper bait

7/10
>>
>>44653048
No because Jace exists.
>>
>>44665199
Jace half-fried his brain trying to read Niv's mind.
>>
>>44665228
mary sue =/= strongest character
>>
>>44653048
Niv would absolutely be a Mary Sue, if he wasn't also a 10,000 year old elder dragon.

The whole 10,000 year old elder dragon thing kinda means that if he wasn't overpowered as fuck, something is seriously wrong.
>>
>>44655706
MeyMeymonaise on this bread before heated to 80°c and aeropressed or free based by these picture loving, card mechanic non understanding, land whale, host of the destroyer hive stink having, poser neckbeard, muh special snowflake bitches, and the wotc deserve.
>MTG
>Lore
>>
>>44663929
Chandra is directly responsible for a surge of popularity for MtG in the female demographic, particularly teenage girls. There's money to be made there, sge's not going away anytime soon
>>
File: muhsnowflakes.png (3 MB, 1701x1669) Image search: [Google]
muhsnowflakes.png
3 MB, 1701x1669
>>44667201
>>
>>44668786
Right on the money, bro
>>
>>44653048
The most common trait of the Sue is that the work's morality centers on them; anything the Sue does is morally justified, and anyone who disagrees with them is either mistaken or evil.

Does Niv-Mizzet fit this? If not, it's still possible for him to be a Sue, but unlikely.
>>
>>44665289
>If I say my mary sue is 10000 years old he isn't a mary sue
Why do people think that tacking on a number solves a mary sue?
>>
>>44653048
I don't understand the question. Can you restate it without using the term "Mary Sue"?
>>
>>44669174
Much as he would like it to be, no. Although he's damn close.
>>
>>44655717
Maybe he meant that /tg/ is shit at mtg.

Because /tg/ is absolutely shit at mtg
>>
>>44663885
I feel like I'm the only one who likes that the Titans got btfo by Chandra. I'm a biased red Mage though.
>>
File: izzet faggot.jpg (26 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
izzet faggot.jpg
26 KB, 200x200
>>44657840
This right here.

The Nephilim chapter fleshed out his vainglorious personality pretty nicely. Nigga loved his own image and couldn't stand the idea of exposing one of defeat, so he ran away like a teenage girl who was abused by her daddy and became a stripper as the result.

Great character.
>>
>>44662758
But he doesn't despise Avacyn's collar, the symbol of her church
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.