[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pathfinder is so much cooler than other RPGS cause you can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12
File: images copy 2.jpg (5 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
images copy 2.jpg
5 KB, 268x188
>Pathfinder is so much cooler than other RPGS cause you can use feats!
>Confirming Critiicals Makes total sense when you think about it
>I enjoy a system where I don't have to think as a GM and there are tables for everything
>as a player I enjoy spending hours looking up info, fine tuning minutia details of my characters and flipping through the books rather then playing
>>
No other sane players in your area?
>>
File: ugh.png (20 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
20 KB, 1008x1008
Does PF turn people into retards, or does it just attract retards? I played that shit for three years and it almost turned me off tabletop RPGs completely.
>>
>>44648339
Confirming criticals does make sense. It's just time-consuming and obnoxious.
>>
File: 12382.strip.sunday.gif (9 KB, 152x133) Image search: [Google]
12382.strip.sunday.gif
9 KB, 152x133
>>44648339
>Having a 1/20 critical chance makes total sense when you think about it!
>I enjoy a system where everything is arbitrary and the rules don't tell the GM how to do anything
>as a player I enjoy rules lite systems which don't allow any customization, creativity or imagination
>>
>>44649018
How so? A "Critical Threat" means you probably hit them well enough to strike a weak spot - so why the extra step of verifying it?
>>
>>44649030
>>I enjoy a system where everything is arbitrary and the rules don't tell the GM how to do anything
>>as a player I enjoy rules lite systems which don't allow any customization, creativity or imagination
>I have never played ANY roleplaying systems aside from Pathfinder!
>>
>>44649052
Mostly to avoid players getting blown the fuck out by a lucky goblin at first level, and to stop the level 20 barbarian from instantly cleaving a rift in reality when he rolls a 20.
>>
>>44648975
I'd say it attracts them. It's still got alot of old guard d&d players with a very distinct 'Us vs. The GM' mentality. I made a few friends playing it, but most of the players I've ever played with just don't know any other way, and have the old mentality imprinted on them by the people who introduced them to pnp by way of PF.

That said, the setting itself is kinda cool. If there were a less convoluted, PB system in the same setting, and half the people I played with didn't have ADD worse than me, and be emotionally retarded, I'd probably quite enjoy PF.
>>
>>44648339
>Confirming Critiicals Makes total sense when you think about it

They can't explain it to people who disagree. But they are sure it's true. So they fall back on "common sense".

As for the other three:
>Pathfinder is so much cooler than other RPGS cause you can use feats!
I've run into plenty of RPGs with feats, even if they go by different names.

>I enjoy a system where I don't have to think as a GM and there are tables for everything
>as a player I enjoy spending hours looking up info, fine tuning minutia details of my characters and flipping through the books rather then playing
I disagree, but I recognise that it's a matter of personal preference.

>>44648975
It's probably the players it attracts. A system that rewards minmaxers as much as Pathfinder does is going to attract the people who really enjoy minmaxing and all the problems they can bring.

I've found that the best way to stop minmaxers being a problem is to run systems where the minmaxers aren't rewarded for their minmaxing. Some minmaxers simply don't join my game, others do but aren't a problem because there isn't the large gap between their characters and the rest of the party. A few of them attempt minmaxing, look at how little they gained, then decide that the minmaxing isn't worth it and spend that time and energy on roleplay instead.
>>
>>44649118
Eh, I'd be happier if it were a two-step process - max damage on one die for the threat, the extra dice and the like on the confirm.
>>
>>44649324
Which systems are those?

If it involves a dice pool I will gut you and shit your corpse
>>
>>44649459
On*
>>
>>44649018
>time consuming.
It takes like 5 seconds to roll.
Omg....its like forever!
>>
File: 1287463065445.png (69 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1287463065445.png
69 KB, 247x248
>>44649030
>this is what pathfags actually believe
>>
>>44648339
What I never liked about d20 systems was the way how to hit roll and damage roll are separated. For example it is entirely possible that you roll a crit (excellent hit!) but then roll two 1s for damage (a poor hit!), and that annoyed my sense of verisimilitude.
>>
File: op.jpg (37 KB, 267x300) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
37 KB, 267x300
>>44648339
>>
Pathinfer/3.5 would be fun if everyone rolled 3d6 in order for their stats and played a random class.
And then had to work with whatever pure shit they got and overcome challenges that way.
>>
File: 1444513692226.gif (340 KB, 251x200) Image search: [Google]
1444513692226.gif
340 KB, 251x200
Personally, I enjoy the fine tuning and shopping aspect of Pathfinder.
All you need to do is focus on fun rather than optimization and make an entertaining character rather than an overpowered one.
Overpowered is easy.

But just being able to spend hours getting lost in planning your next move or option and doing the mechanical equivalent of tootling on the piano keys can be fun in and of itself.
>>
File: 1406687640030.jpg (118 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
1406687640030.jpg
118 KB, 1417x1417
>>44651874

I've actually played it that way a couple times, and yes, it is pretty fun. However, it strains the system somewhat: because of prerequisites and so many things tied to your ability score and too many details in chargen, it is clear that the game is not designed for that style.

My recommendation is to remove most prerequisite from feats, and ditch favoured classes (with either version). Also, random class is too much: 3d6 in order already determines your class firmly.
>>
So the thing about Pathfinder is that I find it really convoluted. If you want to look up a simple thing in the book, you have to look up three other things on top of that in order to understand it. I tried it with people who had never played PnP before and they got it, but found it very overwhelming. What I like about Pathfinder, though, is the sense of character progression, getting to choose new spells from those big lists each level, finding awesome items and "gamey" things like that. Are there any other systems that give me those things while not being as hard to get into than Pathfinder? I tried Dungeon Worlds, but because of the way rolling for moves works in that system, it feels like characters are not really progressing at all and fights barely vary in difficulty.
>>
>>44649506
5 seconds every 20 attack rolls, give or take. That adds up to a lot of play time over the course of a campaign.
>>
>>44652344
>Are there any other systems that give me those things while not being as hard to get into than Pathfinder?
Collectible Card Games.
>>
File: ngbbs4f4e976a7f43b.jpg (124 KB, 573x572) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs4f4e976a7f43b.jpg
124 KB, 573x572
>>44649030
>rules systems are a binary choice between maximal autism or nothing at all
>heavy crunch is a requirement for customization, creativity and imagination
>>
>>44652388

Reverse bait spotted.
>>
>>44652727
>he liked FATE
>>
File: tipping hard.jpg (29 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
tipping hard.jpg
29 KB, 203x200
>>44654751
>he liked 3.PF
>>
>>44648339
Confirming criticals is great you sperg. And it helps deal with people who want to do stupid shit
>>
>>44649030
you saved a thumbnail, so you should feel bad
>>
>>44654839
Sounds like the only stupid person here is you.

Literally nothing in Pathfinder is good.

The setting manages to be worse than DnD.
The rules are archaic and a fucking chore.

The game is basically No-Fun-allowed the PnP.
>>
Confirming criticals only "works" because the system uses the most retarded crit-fishing combat rules for weapons around. Rolling a 15-20 then needing to do it again to do double damage is dumb. Rolling 18-20 to deal 3 times is dumber.

To make it even worse, all non-random damage boosts are doubled making rolling weapon dice pointless at all. 5e crits are much better, just like its magic system, feats, multiclassing... You know just play 5e and homebrew if it is missing your pet build.
>>
>>44655381
So what you're saying is that you're a pedophile?
>>
File: SxcwZ.png (145 KB, 496x297) Image search: [Google]
SxcwZ.png
145 KB, 496x297
>>44655581
Go home peadofinder general.
>>
>>44654751
Here we see the pathfag, unable to refute his opponent's claims, he resorts to baseless accusations.
>>
File: 1LEpw3s.gif (2 MB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1LEpw3s.gif
2 MB, 500x490
>>44648339
>MFW I see the 3000th Pathfinder Skub thread.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.