[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>That one game you'll never find a guy who wants to GM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 1386969912506.png (36 KB, 318x103) Image search: [Google]
1386969912506.png
36 KB, 318x103
>That one game you'll never find a guy who wants to GM

This thread is not only a thinly veiled attempt at finding a gm, but I know god damn well I'm not the only one who can bitch about this. What obscure games are you interested in /tg/?
>>
>>44642758
Cosmic Patrol is so fucking sweet but I can't get any players.
>>
>>44642766

Never heard about it, what kind of game is it friend?
>>
>>44642758
I've DM'd it and had a friend DM it once.

There's a good reason no one wants to bother with it.
>>
>>44642758

Is it even possible to make a good walking dead game?

There are so many reasons it makes a fine comic or TV series, but it would be shit to actually play.
>>
>>44642758
If you're interested in something, the least you could do is GM it yourself and persuade others to try it out with you.
>>
>>44642854

I actually don't have to feel guilty about not offering to run it. I tried running a game for my friends twice and everyone hated it. Then I tried running two separate games for random people online and they hated it. I just suck at DMing this game, there are only so many times I'm willing to get excited for a campaign, put time and energy into it, just to have everyone get angry with me and ragequit. Either way, I've had my fair share of attempts at running this game, never cancelled any of my campaigns either, if it were up to me, I'd still be running a game.

I did get one group together on /tg/ about three years ago and we ran a game for a long time, still friends to this day and we still regularly talk in the skype group. That's the bulk of my experience with the game.
>>
>>44642903

As an aside, people didn't hate the system, they just hated my game and the way I ran it specifically. I was the problem.
>>
>>44642903
>>44642931
I dunno, man. The system isn't very good. It's clunky and the mechanics slow the game to a crawl. Not to mention the rocket tag issues early game.

Once the "OMG POKEMON TABLETOP GAME!" rush wears off, it rapidly loses its appeal.
>>
>>44642968

Well as someone who played a two year long campaign, as well as several mini campaigns, and has run the came collectively for a few months, I have to say I disagree. I enjoy it greatly. If you don't like Pokemon Tabletop Adventures, you might like Pokemon Tabletop United, its a much more expansive system and its what most people prefer now. I don't find either game to be slow, but perhaps that's because I've become so comfortable with the rules that me and my group could play the game very quickly.

I'd be happy to play either really.
>>
>>44642781
50s ray guns and space babes, basically. You're on an old-timey rocketship having flash gordon adventures.
>>
>>44643037

That doesn't sound so bad, are the rules really terrible or something?

It would be sick to play a character like Earthworm Jim.
>>
>>44643018
I've also played PTU. It solves some issues, but doesn't solve many of the underlying problems in the system. At least in the last version I played, around a year ago.
>>
>>44642758
As someone who DM'd a two year long campaign:

The rules are a mess. There's a ton of useless information.
The classes are a mess and lead to later problems.
Pokemon doesn't lend itself to any specific style of story, and the classes further screw you. Some classes demand you go get badges, some demand you go hunting, some demand you do this or that. It's very hard to find a party that all wants to do the same thing, and once you decide as a group "Let's play a game about hunting down and kill rare creatures" you'd be hardpressed to explain to me why the fuck you'd really want to play pokemon there.

On top of the other problems, it's pokemon, and people will be all over the place with interpretations of the setting, and their willingness to harm pokemon in general.
Again, this leads to a lot of discussion on the themes and eras of the games, etc.

Basically, it has all the problems 40k games have.
If you don't play with a locked in group of people who have the same mindset about the setting/tone it IMMEDIATELY turns into lolrandom bullshit.

And again, the system is autistically well converted but still fucking sucks.
>>
>>44643062

The only thing I don't like about PTU is the injury system. It sounds great in terms of immersion and roleplaying, but in practice its a pain in the ass.
>>
>>44643083

I didn't think anyone else would have been able to successfully do a two year long campaign, when I started reading your post I instantly thought you were my old DM since I know he comes here.

Yeah, I've been in a lot of other little games with randoms online, as both a DM and a player. All of them have failed except for the one I mentioned above for the reasons you said. Really lucky that me and my main group all seemed to have the same mindset about what we were doing and all kind of wanted the same thing out of the game. Not only that, we were all friends and got along, that helps a ton of course.

You had an issue with the story though? That was never much of a problem for us. What was your plot like?
>>
>>44643147
Heavily varied and interrupted, with loads of drop in and drop outs, and then ruined horribly by one person taking a "Yeah, you can try DMing, just do a side story" and making it "Mew is a psychotic bastard, all your parents are dead, and a cruiseliner was killed by a whale".

It ended rather well though.
To sum up it was "You have 3 years to exist in a world between red and gold versions, best of luck." Without ever really telling players that was the exact timeframe directly.
>>
>>44642758
I dont think i'll ever want to play another system with pokemon after my last unexpected fore with it.
>Friend wants all our close circle to come together for a game
>They have never had a serious table top game, worse never GM'ed one. I am the only one who actually knows patth/3.5.
>I make a TN judge style Cleric. Can heal and harm. Trying to be more supportive to help these guys get into rpg's
>One shows up with a Saiya
>One shows up with a titan from attack on titan.
>One is the assassin from ass creed
>Another is a witcher
>I look in horror as they all have +7bab and regeneration of 4 at level 2
>GM "OK. You guys are in a forest. The grass starts to rustle. You now see....a caterpie."
>Suddenly team magma and shit

Honestly, it was fucking rad when a full moon came out and the rest of the party had to fight a berserk great ape saiyan player while riding on the back of legendary flying pokemon.

But once the characters from destiny and world of warcraft started to come out when we met at baulders gate to meet kratos, ichigo, and krillin, shit just got fucking stupid.

My close friends have no imagination. Its why I dont usually play with them.
>>
>>44642903
Hello D_____~
>>
>>44643197

You wanna explain how that guy got a Titan? That takes the weirdness to a whole new level.

>>44643228

This is either S______ or A____. I can tell by the ~.

Hi
>>
>>44642758

Not an RPG, but I would literally kill a hobo to get the chance to play METW against a decent player again.
>>
>>44643242
Yep.

>>44643197
What the fuck system was this-

>path/3.5

uhhhhh
>>
>>44643242
>>44643283

Our GM was completely new, didnt want advice, and didnt rein in ANY restrictions on characters. Everyone was useing dndwiki shit except me. The GM didnt want to use any other system because he had a bunch of path/3.5 stuff saved on his laptop.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Titanformer_(3.5e_Class)
>>
File: 1415161122193.jpg (2 KB, 125x92) Image search: [Google]
1415161122193.jpg
2 KB, 125x92
>>44643304

>homebrew shit
>>
File: The Tale of Halfling.jpg (2 MB, 1901x5562) Image search: [Google]
The Tale of Halfling.jpg
2 MB, 1901x5562
>>44643189
Oh, oh, I screencapped your thread.
>>
>>44643282
METW?
I'd Play with you
>>
>>44643330
On the work computer so I dont have any reaction s to post, but yea, your pic really captures the feeling when the Titan and the great ape took on team magma at the cell games (you think im kidding, but im not).

It was a trippy as fuck ride, but I wanted off, quick.
>>
>>44642758
I'm currently in a PTU campaign. Good luck finding a GM, the system is complex enough that it takes forever to put an encounter together and our GM has repeatedly expressed regret at agreeing to run it.
>>
>>44643339
Oh wow, this is a nostalgia trip.
>>
>>44643370

People just do weird fucking shit when pokemon and tabletop mix.

I played a game once that ended because after we got superpowers from being half human, half pokemon, Goku came crashing down in his saiyan pod and gave us a deathnote which was supposed to help us take on some Frieza soldiers with our half pokemon abilities. I don't remember how but I'm pretty sure Seto Kaiba was also involved at some point leading up to that.
>>
>>44643397

http://pokemontabletopadventures.com/

An encounter generator, you can be as specific as you want and let the generator do the rest of the work. I'm not sure if there is one for PTU but, this may be of some use to you. You can randomly generate pokes by environment, or put in specifically how many of what species you want and choose a level.
>>
>>44643461
How old was your DM, twelve?
>>
I GMed a few sessions of PTU earlier this year. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I'm no rules light player, but god damn that system is so convoluted that it makes D&D look like FATE.

Combat took so fucking long that even a short encounter took most of a session to complete. God damn but I started hating that game after the first time and by the third I just gave up.
>>
>>44643490

He was probably like 24 at the time. He was a great DM, he's the same guy who ran that long campaign that me and all of my friends loved. After it ended we thought he could do it again, but either he was just bored or he was experimenting or something and ended up doing that stupid shit. We all laugh about it now.

>>44643491

Pretty sure I know you, after the fourth session you deleted all of us. If you are who I think you are, I want you to know that I blame Martina mostly for ruining the game. You didn't have to block us all, you could have just said you didn't want to play anymore.
>>
>>44643369

Middle-Earth The Wizards.

It's a LoTR CCG, so you'd need a deck. It's huge and complicated, almost more like a small wargame than a traditional CCG, a game usually lasts an hour, hour and a half depending on the variant.

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=text%2Fhtml&filename=Rules+METW.htm&filecode=10yy28g56x&validationcode=17c2f1d1985493c0816cae138bd9370f
>>
>>44643484
There's also a quick encounter generator somewhere on the forums for PTU.
>>
>>44643484
We basically gave up on non-trainer encounters after the 3rd session, and building effective enemy teams that present a challenge but won't overwhelm the party is difficult and time-consuming, I'm sure. It probably doesn't help that he insists on making gym battles as gimmicky as possible. The steel gym was basically a tower defense scenario, complete with mote than a dozen custom enemies and 8 or so tower types.
>>
>>44643707

Gym Battles are so much fun.

>Doing a doubles ground/flying type gym
>My partner is another one of the players
>The arena is a huge pillar made of earth, can knock opponents off
>His Dewott starts wielding my shellder as its shell sword
>My Shedinja knew Telekinesis so whenever my friend's Pokemon were knocked off the pillar it could help push them back on
>Shellder uses Clamp on the enemy Torterra's face so it can't see anymore
>Ursaring and Torterra pretty much have a shoving match to see who can push who off of the pillar
>Ursaring knew Strength which raised his power score just high enough to be able to outshove Torterra

Then there was the time I fought the Bug type gym leader in a Bug only match, it was my Butterfree vs his Pinsir in the middle of a car junkyard. Butterfree ended up hiding in the back of a wrecked car while Pinsir tried to rip it open just to get to Butterfree, ended up flipping the car and throwing it like those wrestling beetles.
>>
>>44642758
>>itt players being lazy and not ever wanting to DM
Why the fuck don't you run it you spoiled baby?
>>
>>44643960

I have, multiple times jackass. With different groups as well. Read the thread. >>44642903
>>
>>44642758
Degenesis, man. I MIGHT have found someone (unlikely), but it's obscure enough that there's nothing- at all- of the second edition online except the rule books and the character sheet. No builds (one of our players has never done RPGs before), no in-play reviews, nothing. Of course I can't find a GM.
>>
File: 1390528687505.png (66 KB, 547x396) Image search: [Google]
1390528687505.png
66 KB, 547x396
>>44642758

>That feel when you find a guy who's willing to run the game and you don't like him very much and he's a garbage DM but you stick it out as long as you can because its either him or nobody
>>
>>44642758
Man, I had such a good time with that game. The system isn't too good compared to PTU, but the Group and DM were awesome people, and we had a blast.
>>
>>44644234
No game is better than a bad game.
>>
PTA is so easily broken it's stupid. You don't even have to try charops, just a cursory look at the rules and you'll quickly be getting double EXP from battles and your trainer will match your pokemon's damage output most of the time.

PTU is a lot better than people give it credit for, you just have to let the party do what they want, and work that into your plans.
>>
>>44643084
I agree the injury system can be really bad, but if you want to entirely ignore it, there's almost nothing you lose from the game.

>>44643491
Combat can be a problem, but it also becomes super streamlined if you use set damage instead of rolled damage. Roll to hit. Move power + attack stat - defense stat. Boom, done. next action. Prod your players to make a choice if they sit there for 5 minutes figuring out what move to make.
>>
>>44648744
The only problem I've had with PTU is the sheer volume of the rules, plus going in I wasn't familiar with any pokemon beyond gen 1. It's a pretty solid system, really, if you can wrap your head around it.
>>
>>44648907
I've found it LOOKS like a lot, but the vast majority of the stuff is really simple, almost common sense. The three biggest chunks of things that take up space are the class lists (which each person will only use 2-4 of them), the pokedex (720-some pokemon is a lot, you know) and the attackdex.

It looks big but you only ever need to flip through bits and pieces at any given time.
>>
File: 1444677771418.jpg (100 KB, 451x604) Image search: [Google]
1444677771418.jpg
100 KB, 451x604
>>44643707
>>44643397

I found you

But yeah, pic related is how I feel designing encounters. At some point I might have taken the part of the rulebook where it recommends that gym battles be as gimmicky as possible a bit too much to heart.

But I won't stop. Can't stop. Have to gimmick. It's like a drug.
>>
>>44649987
I want to make jokes about what you'll do next but I know you'll take them as serious suggestions. Damn you.
>>
>>44643283
>>path/3.5

>uhhhhh

There are plenty of ways to do damn near any- and everything in 3.x/3.pf, but very few of them are any good, and the ones that are are so time-consuming that pretty much no one would ever go through with them, in favor of the quicker, easier methods.

I was, for a while, doing a conversion of pokémon into 3.5. It was time-consuming as all hell, the way I was doing it, and when I lost my progress(a single, physical notebook; got stolen), I just dropped the idea.
>>
File: TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness[1].jpg (38 KB, 279x358) Image search: [Google]
TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness[1].jpg
38 KB, 279x358
>>
>>44650371
Do it anyways, what could possibly go wrong?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.