[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which system should I use for... Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 1444293616662.png (2 MB, 1500x1019) Image search: [Google]
1444293616662.png
2 MB, 1500x1019
Since I often feel that way myself and don't want to start a thread for just my question, this one is for everyone. Read through a few posts and help where you can, then post your own question.

If a post already has 5+ responses, it might be better to focus on other ones. And don't start arguing too much about other suggestions, people will be able to find out if the system is a good fit for their gaming group themselves.

What I am looking for:
>Generic Low Fantasy applicable for most settings
>Not class-based
>Rather deadly combat
>Maximum of three books necessary
>Able to play non-combat-oriented characters
>Bonus for elaborate crafting/enchanting rules and tables, but not necessary
>>
>>44641801
I'm going to "fantasycraft,"even though you said "not class based." I still think you'd like it
>>
>>44641801
Dominion Rules.
>>
>>44641838
OP specifically said not classed based though.
>>
>>44641801

What languages can you (and your players) read?
>>
>>44641869
German, English, Japanese
>>
>>44641878
Nevermind then.
>>
>>44641801
Burning Wheel.
Does low fantasy, no classes, deadly combat, non-fighting characters being significant, one book. Crafting rules are handwavey, though.
>>
>>44641801
Have you tried GURPS? One could argue the Basic Set is one book in two volumes because the page numbering for Campaigns picks up where Characters stops. Not sure if you would count that as one or two books.
Enchanting is okay but not great. But to be honest I've never seen a crafting subsystem that was great in any game.
>>
File: mZ9rex0.png (251 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
mZ9rex0.png
251 KB, 800x400
Well, I will use this thread as well, now.
Very short campaigns or oneshots are my intention.
Details of what I am looking for:

>A system that can handle shooty, cleavy and magicy fun
>Low-magic, high-fantasy, 1930-1950s tech
>No levels
>Preferably no classes
>Not too heavily ruled, so I can adjust it for setting details

I have looked at some systems ( Savage Worlds for example seems rather close to what I am going for ), and figured I could make a stump of a system.
>>
>>44641849

Yeah but it's a fantasy craft fan. They are like GURPS fans, too obxnoious to shut the fuck up even when their system is not called for.

>>44641896

Burning wheel is a load of pretentious garbage. It's also meant for playing as mice.
>>
>>44641973

Savage Worlds will do it pretty well. The RPG I am working on would also be good for that kind of thing but it won't be done for months.
>>
>>44641973
OpenD6?
>>
>>44641801
OVA can be an option. It's supposed to be anime but can be applied to any setting. Combat can be made deadly. Not class-based. One book not too long book. Non combat characters are easily doable and playable. Not elaborated crafting though.
>>
>>44641973
RuneQuest 6.

Get the Essentials and Firearms from their site and have a look.
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php
It's a d%-system, but with a solid basic mechanic which can be modified pretty easily.
>>
>>44641993
You're thinking of the Mouse Guard desu senpai
>>
low magic yet not totally without fantasy shit, politics-centered where PCs are leaders of mercenary groups?

anyone?
>>
File: 398227-tie_fighter_squardron5.jpg (38 KB, 555x542) Image search: [Google]
398227-tie_fighter_squardron5.jpg
38 KB, 555x542
Well since this thread is here;

Looking to run a Star Wars spacefighter campaign at some point, starting the PCs as Imperial recruits and swiftly giving them an option to progress up the ranks to better ships, go full traitor and switch to the Rebellion, or go freelance.

Main requirements is that it needs to be an engaging space combat system in and of itself. I don't mind statting ships my own ships as necessary.
>>
>>44642714
Traveller?
>>
>>44642734
I've only played the Dredd version of it, but overall it felt like it might be too lethal for Star Wars.
>>
>>44642788
Well, I hate to recommend OpenD6 twice in one thread, but the D6 system was used for Star Wars before.
>>
Looking for subsystems about life in the field (modern military if possible)

>>44642059
Seconding that. It's pretty simple and satisfactory IMO.

>>44642006
>The RPG I am working on
Color me curious. What will it be about ?

>>44642386
Khaos 1795 or Wastburg, both in french.

>>44642714
You don't like FFG SW system? It got maneuvers and shit for space combat.
Main issues (with potential solutions) :
Special dice (just torrent the app/paint your dice if you don't want to buy it)
Shields aren't handled correctly, lower chance to hit instead of providing additional protection until they blow up (there is a short pdf with fan rules that corrects it in the /swg/ thread)
You can rip-off the maneuvers if you don't like the whole system, it's pretty independant from the rest of the game.
>>
>>44643143
Ops and Tactics should have plenty of info on life in the field.
>>
>>44643233
>Ops and Tactics
thanks, downlading it right now!
>>
File: tumblr_nu1fnn6w8u1u0r0dgo1_500.jpg (222 KB, 476x590) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu1fnn6w8u1u0r0dgo1_500.jpg
222 KB, 476x590
I want to run a shitty fantasy adventure that miserably fails to emulate anything from the many works that inspired it.

I'd like it to be class based and extremely unbalanced so my players can choose the most powerful classes and optimize them to ridiculous levels.

I'd also like combat to be very long and tedious as to make sure my players are thoroughly bored as we slog through an hour long combat encounter.

What should I run?
>>
>>44647061
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>44641891
What were you gonna suggest? I like to hear about obscure foreign games, they usually have a lot of charm.

>>44647061
original d&d sounds right.
>>
>>44643143
Haven't had a chance to test the FFG system, so I've got no clue as to how it plays space-wise. Sounds good but it'd probably be an online game so that could create issues with the dice. Will give what you mentioned a look.

>>44642820
Yeah, I seem to remember seeing a shit ton of resources for Star Wars D6. Again though, no idea if it's fun to play spaceplanes or not, which is the important bit.
>>
>>44641801
>>44641878
The Dark Eye (originally German, not sure if the rules are around in English)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
RuneQuest 6
Barbarians of Lemuria
Burning Wheel
Song of Swords or Riddle of Steel, maybe?
Ryutaama, maybe (not nearly as combat focused but not sure if the tone is what you're going for)

If you're willing to drop the "class-based" restriction there's a ton of OD&D retroclones that will fit the rest of your criteria, like ACKS or LoTFP.
>>
>>44648435
Actually the newer D&D's have much longer combats; OD&D combat is lightning fast due to all the small numbers and lack of options.
>>
File: FeaturedImage-the-secret-world.jpg (196 KB, 670x300) Image search: [Google]
FeaturedImage-the-secret-world.jpg
196 KB, 670x300
What sort of system should I use to run a game set in the setting of The Secret World? Don't want PCs to be too squishy, and would prefer a more class-free system, although class-free isn't necessary.
>>
>>44653741
asked that lots of times. Never got a decent answer. Wish this time is diferent.
>>
>>44648435

Drakar & Demoner Fjärde Utgåvan (4th edition, from 1991)

Great game, simple basic 'roll under' mechanics, very customizable character creation. It does have classes, but they are quite broad and have lots of room to grow and branch out. Not level based, exp comes in points you spend on improving skills.

It has lots of expanded rules that make the system really come into its own, spread out over a number of books (though these are small volumes, far from for example DnDs massive tomes). These include some more major ones, like the warrior's handbook that vastly expands the combat system, a wizards handbook that includes a lot of advanced rules for magic and crafting, one for playing in the shady underbelly of society etc.

Its also fully backwards compatible with a ton of older material.

It is old and has its faults, so it should be played using some common sense.

Oh yeah, and its been released for free in .pdf form here:
http://riotminds.se/vara-spel/drakar-och-demoner-retro/tiden-innan-trudvang/
>>
>>44641801
>>44608372
>>
>>44653741
WoD hunter ?

Otherwise, Open D6 is my go to for modern stuff, does firearms well, but it may be too squishy for you (you got levels of injuries instead of hitpoints, so it's a bit special), and I don't know how the monsters would work in it.

>>44654095
Hey, thanks.
Now I have a reason to learn swedish.
>One day there will be a good centralized rpg database.
>>
>>44641993
Man, Fantasycraft fans are worse than GURPS fans. Because GURPS does have legitimate uses, and isn't houseruled 3.caster.
>>
>>44642386
Reign. The Company rules are what you're looking for.
>>
>>44654845
>Hey, thanks.
>Now I have a reason to learn swedish.

Cool, when you're done, take a look at Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare as well.

One of the best Post-Apoc settings I've ever read. Incredible art, good solid writing that provides both depth and a sense of exploration, all with a wonderful dark charm. Set in Sweden some time after the collapse, when a new state has begun to take form and is trying to reclaim the ruins.

The system is just BRP with a focus on character creation (and mutation), but the setting really carries it.

I dont have any .pdfs for this one though.
>>
System with shitload of perks based on skills and attributes like in old Fallout?
>>
>>44655768
GURPS
Shadowrun
>>
What sytem should I use for overcomplicated sword fight?

Having taunts and/or psychology included would be a must.
I'm gonna run a cloak and dagger campaign (based on the 3 musketeers setting, to be precise) and I want lenghty and meaningful duels.
>>
>>44654845
oWoD or nWoD? I've found that nWoD tends to lead to too many curbstomps on one side or the other for this kind of setting. The Secret World isn't really a setting for squishy PCs.
>>
Thinking of running a earth-people trapped in a fantasy world game sometime. Is there a system that:
>does gun fighting well, particularly Wild West style
>allows for a system of magic to exist alongside the above
>has a generally options-heavy design while conflict resolution remains streamlined
>>
>>44647061
Vampire: Dark Ages.
>>
>>44653741
Depends on how much fluff you want to homebrew. If you like the idea of magic gone underground in the modern day, you can just run World of Darkness out of the box.

If you just want a rules framework I feel modern/urban fantasy tends to benefit best from narrative-focused systems like FATE. If you must go a more "specific rule for specific situation" route, then use something like GURPs.
>>
File: landsknechtref.jpg (77 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
landsknechtref.jpg
77 KB, 540x360
>>44656843
Song of Swords and Riddle of Steel seem to be the go-to for these. I don't have huge experience with either but both were designed around the idea of having lots of tactical options in pre-modern hand-to-hand combats.

The thing is what the rules try to emulate and how they actually play in practice are two different things. I don't know if a ruleset with lots of tactical options would actually give a Musketeer-like feel - the problem is that complex combat systems are also very prone to analysis paralysis at the table, which is completely opposite to a rapid swashbuckling style. Plus, "realistic" fights are generally dirty, dangerous, and not at all glamorous.

You may instead want to consider something more narrative-focused - a ruleset that specifically incentivizes setting up high-stakes setpieces or drama organically in play, rather than a system focused around tactical choices - this may give you more of that rapid swashbuckling feel.
>>
>>44657973
Another anon suggested Ops and Tactics earlier in this thread, I checked and it got supplements for magic.
Yet the rules seems clunky at places, but that might be a personal issue.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ops_and_Tactics

If you want something something Wild West with supernatural, check Deadland or Dogs in the Wineyard.

>>44661993
>You may instead want to consider something more narrative-focused
Sounds good, thanks. I thnink I'm gonna use a stakes system like early 007 or Poison'd.
>>
>>44641801

I know there's always some shitty GURPSfag in every thread who suggests GURPS for fucking everything, under the assumption that it's the best for everything. It's clearly not; it has its strengths and weaknesses like any other system. However if what you're looking for is

>Generic Low Fantasy applicable for most settings
>Not class-based
>Rather deadly combat
>Maximum of three books necessary
>Able to play non-combat-oriented characters
>Bonus for elaborate crafting/enchanting rules and tables, but not necessary

Then GURPS is in-fact what you're looking for.

Alternatively, I've seen Shadowrun 3e reskinned into fantasy, you just call "cyberwear" "magical weapons," acccept that it's easier to take on and off, and call "essence" "soul interference"
>>
>>44663142
Since you seem to be reasonable and knowledgeable about GURPS at the same time, may I ask you what are the weaknesses of the system ?
>>
A system for pre-modern merchants and capitalism ho!
Preferably something that can sorta bridge between "this good cost 20 gold here, 30 gold in this other place, it costs 2 silver a day to pay for transport" levels of granularity and "You have 12 business points" for handling larger scale businesses.
>>
>>44664843

The need to parse 600+ pages of optional rules which are not thematically organized in order to pick out those you think you'll need. It can run anything, but it sure as hell won't tell you how you are supposed to do it.
>>
>>44641801
GURPS fits perfectly.
>>
>>44665910
There is no such need at all.
>>
>>44665910
>The need to parse 600+ pages of optional rules which are not thematically organized in order to pick out those you think you'll need.
Not necessarily, what OP wants basically just needs the basic rulebook, and fantasy suplement. It only really needs abajillion suplements if you're trying to break away from the trends below (and even then it doesn't)

>>44665910
>It can run anything,
Also, not really, no matter what, it always has a certain element of grittiness, crunchiness, and heavy simulationism. However, OP seems to want grittiness and heavy simulationism.
>>
>>44663142
> call "cyberwear" "magical weapons," acccept that it's easier to take on and off
So no definitive essense loss ?
Not that I'm complaining, being an optimized cyborg is stupidly hard in shadowrun, but that's the point of the system.
>>
>>44669063
>So no definitive essense loss ?
>Not that I'm complaining, being an optimized cyborg is stupidly hard in shadowrun, but that's the point of the system.
No PERMANENT essence loss. There's a limit to how much magical equipment your soul can handle bonding-with, and hell, you could even make it permanent, requiring a ritual to re-bond/consecrate a new piece of magical equipment, meaning that the wizard will never personally bond with magical equipment. The point is just that it takes less time to switch/upgrade equipment, but the essential resource mechanic is still there... you just spend less of your game-time managing downtime-bookkeeping.
>>
>>44667142
>However, OP seems to want grittiness and heavy simulationism.

OP here, I do!
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.