[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He wiped out entire SM chapters which means said chapters were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
He wiped out entire SM chapters which means said chapters were a massive waste of money LMAO Marines are useless shit and they didn't do anything Guardsmen and Bolter Bitches couldn't do in centuries just cut off the funds trust me it would make Imperium a better place.
>>
>>44641105
He died. Presumably the same way Grimskull died.
>>
>>44641112
https://youtu.be/IUnjK6wjpNQ
>>
who dis?
>>
File: 1421314916090.jpg (3 MB, 4576x2540) Image search: [Google]
1421314916090.jpg
3 MB, 4576x2540
>>44641105
>implying bolter bitches or guardsmen do anything either
The Imperial Navy is both Humanity's Shield and Biggest Stick. Everything else is ancillary and accessory.
>>
>>44641105

Orks are one of the biggest threats in the galaxy, arguably even more dangerous than Nids since nids at least follow some logic, while killing a warboss only makes things worse if you don't manage to clean up the smaller warbands.
>>
>>44642147
People always say Orks are a shit comic relief that should be removed but as soon as they wreck Marines suddenly they are huge threat lmao
>>
>>44641949
Because securing facilites, ground and anything of value on the ground can surely be done with macrocannons, right? And after all, if you want to take out those insurgents camped some 10 kilometres south of the city in some old fortress ruins, surely risking firing macrocannons into that area is worth it, right? I mean, it's not like orbital bombardment is inaccurate or something.
>>
>>44641105
>LMAO

>>>/trash/
>>
The problem with space warfare is, why bother fighting a ground war if you have naval superiority? Invaders cant land if their ships are destroyed.

In 40k i believe its implied that most systems have no to little naval forces, not even space capable fighters because lol stupidity. Almost every black library novel featuring an invasion has either no defending fleet or some vauge mention of a few "system defence ships" being destroyed.
>>
>>44642274
>why bother fighting a ground war if you have naval superiority?
Because if your enemy has boots on the ground and you don't, they own the planet. And if that planet is worth fighting over, an amount of orbital bombardment sufficient to remove enemy forces without landing your own is counterproductive. It's like there are flies in your house, and you start swatting them with a sledgehammer. Sure, the flies are probably dead (no guarantee though), but your property values took a much greater beating. Stay awake in History and Moral Philosophy from now on.

In 40k, navies are a thing: Pandorax had a significant part of the battle concerned with naval ops, the Horus Heresy series has naval battles being quite significant? Battlefleet Gothic existed. It just doesn't get a mention in some books because the characters are ground pounders. And the amount of single-stage-to-orbit shit is just silly.
>>
>>44642484
>Because if your enemy has boots on the ground and you don't, they own the planet.

Like i said, if you are defending, and the enemy gets destroyed before they can land, you win. Most black library books skip the naval battle or gloss over it by assuming there are no defending naval assets.

If you are attacking, then having naval superiority practically means an i-win button. Look at how fucked the germans were in WW2 when they were trying to repulse the normandy landings, they couldnt mvoe reserves to counterattac the beachheads because of air power. Now imagine that with air power AND naval power working against you.

Some stories also invent convenient plot devices so that naval assets don't get involved. Like one titan book had this whole imperial fleet sitting in orbit but conveniently they couldnt do anything because of "weather storms". Which is dumb because orbital bombardment works off co-ords, not by trying to eye ball the planet through clouds.
>>
>>44641949

>that ship that is just two battleships stuck together
>>
>>44641949
Ugly as fuck I'm glad WH40K doesn't focuse on naval battles.
>>
>>44642545
>if you are defending, and the enemy gets destroyed before they can land, you win.
And if the enemy gets through your navy and lands troops, you lose, because they're behind your only line of defense. Every engineer or officer who said "this new kind of weapon/tactic renders every other obsolete" was wrong. The ones who said "this one does an old job better" "or does a new job that synchronizes with other branches for success," may or may not have been wrong.

Yes, owning orbit is a great advantage. Yes, handwaving it is bad writing and I won't defend that. But it is not the be-all end-all. Allied air power suppressed the Germans and allowed the Allies to advance, but the Germans didn't lose the war until the Red Army raised the hammer and sickle over the Reichstag. Japan would suit your argument better, but they're kind of a wierd case. You can drop all the rocks you want, but you haven't won until you own the ground and your enemy doesn't, and ground troops can take it without eliminating any reason to fight for it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.