[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Entry level horror board games go.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: pic828598.jpg (320 KB, 997x1009) Image search: [Google]
pic828598.jpg
320 KB, 997x1009
Entry level horror board games go.
>>
Why is Zombies!!! so popular? People I know always want to play it, but it's just kinda dull. Is there any expansions that actually makes it fun?
>>
>>44640895
I don't know but it is dull
>>
>>44640959
I kinda feel like the only thing it has going for it is all the little plastic zombies.
>>
>>44640876
Any one of Arkham games by FFG.
>>
>>44640979
>>44640895
>>44640876
The game you're looking for is called Zombie 15' and it's fucking amazing.
>>
>>44640987
Never played them, but don't they take like five hours to play and have a billion components? Doesn't sound "entry level" to me.
>>
>>44640989
That's an entirely separate game, though.

But thanks for the tip, I guess.
>>
>>44640895
The new Zombicide is pretty good, my friend got it for Christmas and we played it yesterday in our gaming group. Getting 4 Necromancer cards in a row sucks though.
>>
>>44640999
Only Mansions of Madness may take up a few more hours than usual. Most of the Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror games take around 3h.

And there's also Eldritch Sign, a dice rolling game that takes around 1h and kinda plays itself.
>>
>>44640999
this, also you have to be interested in lovecraft to get any joy out of it.

I found arkham horror to be better than eldritch horror as well, since it has better flavour (which is the only reason you play the games)
>>
>>44641043
3h is not "entry level".

>>44640989
>>44641019
Games that cost $60+ always intimidate me. Sure, all the tiny little plastic guys look cool, but in my experience, people usually just play a boardgame once or twice before it ends up collecting dust.
>>
>>44641089
>people usually just play a boardgame once or twice before it ends up collecting dust.
You're on fucking /tg/, you can't tell me you have no experience with getting a gaming group together.
>>
>>44641089
I don't know about your gaming group, but in mine every time the DM can't make it, or if he comes but feels like taking a break, we always play it. I can understand your hesitation though.

Perhaps having a "tip jar" where everyone can chip in a dollar or two to go towards games every now and then. That way, it's not just your money, but everyone's. Obviously, this only works if your group is stable though. If you're constantly getting or losing members, it won't work.
>>
>>44640999
Arkham Horro by itself doesn't really take that long (it's not a particularly short game, but but lasts around the same time as most other board games I've played), but if you start adding the expansions it gets a lot more complicated and lasts longer (although if you play with all expansions at once it'll probably end pretty quickly unless you have a ton of players since you probably lose the game pretty quickly).
>>
>>44641143
I've been in several gaming groups, and come from a boardgaming family. And in every group I've been in, there are two or three games we play over and over, usually simple stuff like Carcassonne and Smallworld. Every now and again, someone buys a giant, extensive game with a billion little plastic models and stuff, because it looked cool, and it's either played once, or never at all because it's such a massive project to just set it up.

This pattern has been pretty consistent in all groups I've been in.
>>
>>44641143
Reading comprehension isn't really your thing, it seems.
>>
>>44640876

Yep,it's entry level. But that doesn't mean it isn't good.
>>
>>44640876
Man, this game is one of the fucking greats, too bad whenever I play with my main group we always get zombie related events. It's a real pain in the ass, anon, it really is.
>>
>>44641089
>people usually just play a boardgame once or twice before it ends up collecting dust

How is that even possible? If you're into this shit, then you should meet with your group at least twice in the month (in my teams case it's a solid three meetings a month with a whole squad and a few one on one wargame meetings between). Meetings like that takes an evening which is enough time to play at least two games/two battles. If your group can't even force themselves to play board games, then they are simply not into this kind of spending their free time.
>>
What kinda fits the bill and is a fantastic game is Shadow of Brimstone. I love the game, and there are some definite pants-wetting moments to it.
>>
>>44640895
It is cheapish and there are a ton of expansions. It looks like you could build this incredible cool thing. But the game just isn't any good, honestly.

>>44640987

Eldritch Horror all the way.
>>
>>44640895
I thought the tile-laying mechanic seemed cool back when I knew nothing about board games
Still is cool, i spose, just a pity the rest of the game is so lame.
>>
>>44641201
C A S U A L
A
S But really though, what the fuck?
U
A Why are you so lazy, play 3h complex games.
L
>>
>>44641872
I'm with that guy. Depending on the group, especially how big the group is, smaller, shorter games are favored. At the 25-person meetup, I prefer hour-long games because I like having that flexibility and it means more new games. When I'm in my six-person game group I usually indulge in long games because that's usually what people bring to the table.
>>
>>44641143
I have 2 gaming groups.
First, oldest group has the attention span of an ADD kid during his first day at school. They just can't stand long games like Arkham Horror. The longest game they can play is Carcassonne. This group has the tendency of ending the night playing Mario Party/Kart/Smash Bros games in their Wii U.

This motivated me to find a second group to actually play games with. One of my colleagues in my Netrunner Nights holds this group to play boardgames. I can finally play good long boardgames without feeling guilty of boring the rest of the group.
>>
>>44640876
Isn't really hard to win Betrayal if you're the traitor?
>>
>>44642681
Depends on the Haunt you get, and on how early you get it. Some of them are heavily stacked in the traitor's favor.

On the whole, the game has great ideas but a really flawed execution. The scenarios are all really cool conceptually, none of them is really fair, in one direction or the other, just based on the RAW. Add on to that the fact that you can roll the Haunt really early and the traitor can just fuck every one over while they're still scrambling to find the rooms and items they need, or you can roll it late and a fully equipped party will just stomp all over the traitor right away, and shit gets stupid fast.

A lot of the scenarios don't clarify their additional rules enough, too. In a lot of cases I think they just didn't think it through enough when figuring out how that extra stuff would interact with the core chassis, if they thought about it at all.

In the end, I'd say things actually favour the traitor overall, since it's an even split which way the scenarios are unballanced, but one roll is enough to get a Haunt early while you have to keep consistently rolling well to get one late.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.