[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is selling the PCs into slavery cheap cliche drama or is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 1452210179742.jpg (44 KB, 437x433) Image search: [Google]
1452210179742.jpg
44 KB, 437x433
Is selling the PCs into slavery cheap cliche drama or is there actual merit in there somewhere for character growth?
>>
>>44633531
How the fuck does that even happen?

Unless they're some low level morons, they should be able to fight their way out.
>>
>>44633531
might be interesting if there's a goal besides magical realm shit. If they were beaten by a foe who routines takes slaves, it's fitting. A slave uprising ark is a time-honored tradition in fiction. But having them get captured and enslaved in their sleep is shitty.
>>
Maybe?
It is sometimes can induce interesting scenarios (survival, escape) and character growth (nobles brought down).
>>
>>44633592
>ark
man I'm dumb
>>
File: untitled21.jpg (249 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
untitled21.jpg
249 KB, 1600x900
>>44633531
I dunno about character growth, but slave rebellions are fun as fuck to play through... and sometimes there's an element of fun to using improvised tools and makeshift weapons instead of your super uber-powerful adventuring gear.
>>
>>44633531
What I'd like to see for once is a somewhat more reasonable depiction of Ancient Slavery. Are you really going to send the bookish wizard to the salt mines to slave away for the rest of his days, or are you going to use him as a private tutor for the children of rich fucks? Would the skilled and feared fighter really die aboard a galley after his spine contorted to an unnatural position, or would he be more effective as a private bodyguard for a notable family?

It'd be interesting if the PCs started out as slaves fulfilling different roles around some noble family's estate. It'd also provide a convenient backstory for their non-combat skills.
>>
File: 1449007609876.png (193 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1449007609876.png
193 KB, 500x379
>>44634562
>Literally the backstory for the last wizard I played.
>>
File: 1449805531878.png (342 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1449805531878.png
342 KB, 630x630
>>44634650
My nigger!
>>
>>44633531
It seems like a basic pretext for getting the party together and making them take orders from somewhere.

If it happens midgame, then its a pretext for shaking things up by stripping the pcs of the resources and influence they had accumulated. Some players will call that cheap, but it might actually be just what your game needs.
>>
>>44633531
Potentially, yes. Very yes.

Most of the time... ehhh.
>>
File: three_by_dcwj.jpg (290 KB, 994x1406) Image search: [Google]
three_by_dcwj.jpg
290 KB, 994x1406
Say your players are idjits, and manage to geth themselves thoroughly defeated in fair combat. Not because of bad luck, but because they are too careless to consider they might loose.
When your players are fucktards, sometimes enslaving them is better for the game than giving them the death they walked right into (by being unprepared fucktards). At least it gives them a second chance. Plus, they get some consequences of "lol i died, respawn."
Besides, making them earn their freedom as gladiators is fun.
>>
File: hurt-feelings-report.jpg (138 KB, 791x1024) Image search: [Google]
hurt-feelings-report.jpg
138 KB, 791x1024
>>44633531
A group I was in had a "that guy".
Always playing on his phone, always made big-breasted female characters and provided WAY too much description of their sluttish exploits.

Often didn't even pay attention- my favorite story about him is when his turn came up and he declared "I cast this on the guy next to me", rolled the dice and went back to candy crush. Later complained about his new title of "The guy who melted the Pope".

Last straw came when he left a session early with no warning. He told the group "just do whatever with my character". So they sold the character into slavery.
>>
This seems like it's better to start a campaign with(ie, you start as slaves and escape), rather than something pulled out later on.

Only game I've had with slavery was the former, where we were slaves at the start and escaped on the road to find a better place to call home.....or that's what the DM intended. Instead, we stole a boat and became pirates. The DM thought it was fucking hilarious and ran with it.
>>
>>44633531
Not so much character growth but escaping can be fun

Just don't railroad them into it though the players should have a chance of fighting off getting captured in the first place.

Time it right and you can get away with making it near impossible to avoid but I don't have time to go into the specifics of how hard you can make things indifrent situations.
>>
The only question that matters is: is it fun? If you can't make slavery fun, don't do it.
>>
>>44636749
>roll DC 12 to pick cotton
>DC 9 to pour water in the tub

Well, that doesn't seem real exciting.
>>
>>44633531
It works as a plot device, I suppose, if you either need to get rid of a character because his player won't be able to continue the campaign, for example, or just as the next stage in the story unfolding.
>>
>>44636749
All great stories, as with all great art, need a bit of misery in them. I really don't understand where this idea that everything has to be super duper fun all the time and can never be the least bit challenging or thought provoking comes from.
>>
File: I am the rules.jpg (168 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
I am the rules.jpg
168 KB, 1600x900
>>44633531

>party is confronted by a band of slavers, was pretty obvious given the number of enemies we were supposed to lose this one
>charge the guy who was very obviously their leader, butchering several slavers on the way
>defeat him in single combat as the rest of the party holds off the rabble
>inform the slavery company that they work for me now
>spend the rest of the campaign making lodsemone by trading slaves
>>
>>44634562
How the fuck can you enslave a wizard

>ok slave your assignment is to tutor this child
>what are those hand gestures you're making
>stop that chanting right now
>help
>>
>>44638349
Geas.
Items.
>>
>>44638349
Every single fantasy setting that exists as anti magic materials. And guess what slaves do in-fact normally wear bonds on them. Just stick a collar on him that cancels out his magic abilities. Makes a great show of strength when visitors see you have a wizard slave teaching your 6 year old basic math.
>>
>>44638349
Magically enchanted collar. He uses a spell not on the predefined list, kills someone or tries to run and it explodes.
>>
>>44633531
If it comes up organically, sure. Predetermined "the party gets captured at this point" plots are cancer.
>>
>>44633531
I reccently started a campaing and made the half orc slave charactar an eunuch, his master cut his balls, ¿am i being that dm?
>>
>>44638437
>>44638690
>hurr antimagic slave collar

>>>/d/
>>
>>44638966
>¿am i being that dm?
>lol your character gets castrated XD

Yup
>>
>>44633531
Stop injecting your fetishes into the game, anon!
>>
>>44633531
You mean railroading, right?
>>
>>44637572
Naive escapism wants to escape even the questions.
>>
>>44633574
>Unless they're some low level morons, they should be able to fight their way out.
Not everything is D&D
>>
>>44639009
It is kinky, but it really depends on the setting if it is plausible. Some sort of cryptonite should exist anyway.
>>
>>44633531
With the right group of people it can be fun. I suppose.
>>
>>44639009
Fine, ankle bracelet/cuff, whatever. No need to be such a hostile cunt.
>>
>>44639086
I honestly think people are just retarded.
>>
>>44638966
Just declaring it so is being That DM, but it's a neat idea of a character that was already a slave, and there's no harm in simply suggesting it to the character's player.
>>
>>44639187
Or 'cursed ring of normality' or some other bullshit.
>>
>>44642573
Actually, rings binding wizards has some basis in mythology, doesn't it? I seem to recall a story about a wizard getting stuck with an iron ring on each finger and being unable to use his magic until he could get them removed.
>>
>>44639009
Anon what the fuck happened to you? Did someone rape you so hard that you can only see fetish shit when people are typing completely reasonable things on image boards?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.