[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shape Changers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Doppelganger_-_Sam_Wood.jpg (83 KB, 400x990) Image search: [Google]
Doppelganger_-_Sam_Wood.jpg
83 KB, 400x990
Hey /tg/, here is a question for you

How would one go about playing a shape shifter/doppelganger type character?

Let me be clear, I'm not looking to play one (I'm not in a group at the moment), I'm just curious what your thoughts are.
>>
In what context? This is important.
>>
Are tanuki better than kitsune?
>>
>>44632598

Look up Eberron, specifically Changelings.
>>
>>44632622

Curiosity?
>>
>>44632638
No.
>>
>>44632598
I wouldn't, they are strictly a monster thing for me.
>>
Druids seem easy way to go. In PF there should be a druid archetypw and ranger archetype for shapechangerish character.
Plus wizard could work.
>>
>>44633467
That makes since.

But I like the idea of playing a character that is totally alien to others.
Sure it damages talking to people, but its fun.
I played a Golem for a while. That was fun.
>>
>>44632638
Only if you like balls
>>
>>44632638
She should have giant beachball sized balls.
>>
>>44632598
>How would one go about playing a shape shifter/doppelganger type character?

I've had one player who decided to play it by completely hiding the fact that he was a shapeshifter. He pretended to be human for the entire game until circumstances forced him to reveal that to the entire party. Unfortunately those circumstances also killed his PC so I have no idea how he would have played the character afterwards.

Though this was a setting where most major factions want that particular race of shapeshifters wiped out.
>>
>>44636195
Thats a shame.
I remember I when I played a werewolf, I had to reveal it very early on. The party knew something was up because the DM fucked up the whisper message about transformation. (we were using roll 20)
No one really seemed to mind.
But there is a fine line between a werewolf and a Doppelganger.
>>
Played an anthro octopus woman who could change her general appearance and size/shape within reason. Depending on the type of situation she was getting into determined the identity she would have. Like when trying to ingratiate herself towards the party and be helped/accepted by them, she had the look of a helpless well-endowed pretty blonde with a innocent, friendly personality.
>>
>>44632598
Druids with emphasis on changing into animals and shit, on that note werewolves also count.
Pretty sure 4th edition has playable Changelings that have limited metamorphic power, PF Changelings don't shape shift though they're just playable Hags that aren't ugly as sin
>>
I played a half-dragon doppelganger with monk levels in a mid-high level 3.5 campaign. My ability to shapeshift actually barely came up at all, although the campaign didn't let more than a few sessions.
>>
>>44632598
Shapeshifters are, in their way, probably one of the most -- if not ~the~ most, depending on the nature and potential extent of their shapeshifting -- OP characters possible. Even just human-form or near-human-form shapeshifting, like Mystique from the X-Men series, allows an individual to become an unparalleled assassin and infiltrator, and they can catapult themselves or those they work for to extreme power by killing and replacing preeminent leaders and other key figures. They can take on the physique and muscular finesse of the greatest athletes, and their shapeshifting likely grants them considerable regenerative potential and lifespan. Their capacity to morph their bodies, even only in limited and imperfect ways, may give them all manner of unique capabilities that can only be speculated upon, like extreme muscle density packed into the frame of a tiny woman, or limited regulation of internal chemistry. If they have can shapeshift into any form, perhaps even directly manipulate their biomass like the Thing, there's practically no stopping them, particularly if they're intelligent and properly cautious.

You might play them as unfathomable and inhuman entities intent on taking over civilisations, opposed by mysterious organisations or orders aware of your existence and dedicated to stopping your ominous ambitions. Maybe you're in a party of comparatively normal murder hobos if that's what's being run, and your true nature and goals are unknown to your associates, with betrayal inevitable in pursuit of, or purpose subtly subverted to, your alien goals.
>>
>>44638683
Disguise Self is a level 1 spell in all editions. Alter Self is level 2.
>>
>>44638546

Yeah. 4e has Ebberon Changelings which are more or less 'Playable Dopplegangers'

They've got some nice tricks like briefly looking exactly like a foe to throw off his defense as he's suddenly staring in a mirror.
>>
>>44632598
>I'm just curious what your thoughts are.
"I wouldnt worry about it"
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.