[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know in Toy Story 3 when Mr Potato Head puts his face bits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13
File: 1451843384187s.jpg (4 KB, 250x181) Image search: [Google]
1451843384187s.jpg
4 KB, 250x181
You know in Toy Story 3 when Mr Potato Head puts his face bits on a tortilla and escapes? Really bothers me.

Where is Mr Potato Head's consciousness located? Is he an assortment of bits? A swarm? Is he incorporeal? And the face bits are just the ritual objects which summon him into a host shell?

What if we pressed his face bits into a person? Does he possess them?
>>
File: 308.png (2 MB, 1128x626) Image search: [Google]
308.png
2 MB, 1128x626
Given in Toy Story 2 he was able to see out of an eye that was removed miles away from him, and given that in Toy Story 3 he was able to remove an arm and have it move by itself, we can only deduce that his consciousness is located in every given piece of his original body.

EXCEPT for the fact that he seems to possess a pair of "Angry Eyes", which he was able to equip without going blind. This means either he can choose which parts his consciousness inhabits, or he inhabits every piece ever equipped to him.

Given the world of Toy Story is not ruled by an Overlord Mega Potato Head, we can only assume the former, and that he he functions much like a cybernetic organism, able to equip and de-equip body parts on a whim, transferring a fragment of his consciousness as he sees fit.

This also means that the only difference between him and "Mrs Potato Head" is the body parts currently equipped, meaning its entirely possible [even likely, given Mr Potato Head's depravity] that they switch roles as it pleases them, either for 'bedroom games', or simply to fuck with the other Toys. If they have not done so before, it is almost certain they would have eventually been driven to it by sheer boredom if they had been transferred to the attic with the Christmas decorations, as originally planned.
>>
File: deeply-concerned-intensifies.jpg (47 KB, 676x450) Image search: [Google]
deeply-concerned-intensifies.jpg
47 KB, 676x450
>>44632397
>>44632628
This is actually fucking with me now. That's a question I never considered but now I can't answer without just saying "kid's movie".
>>
File: Mr_Potato_Head_1952.jpg (32 KB, 788x436) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Potato_Head_1952.jpg
32 KB, 788x436
>>44632397
>Where is Mr Potato Head's consciousness located? Is he an assortment of bits? A swarm? Is he incorporeal? And the face bits are just the ritual objects which summon him into a host shell?

His consciousness is in his parts. After all, Mr. Potato Head was originally just bits you put into a potato.
>>
I fucking love this board
>>
I'll answer if you can tell me where the conciouness is located in the human body.
>>
>>44633405
The pineal gland.
>>
File: Human_brain_01.jpg (132 KB, 1350x868) Image search: [Google]
Human_brain_01.jpg
132 KB, 1350x868
>>44633405
Somewhere in this general region.
>>
Have you ever considered
it's a fucking kids movie
it doesn't have to make sense

I fucking hate nerds.
>>
In his potato
He can just perceive and move his limbs independent of his body.
Sorta like bender from futurama
>>
>>44633405
It is a self aware, constantly evolving pattern made up of electrical and chemical signals in the brain. Like how the Mona Lisa isn't the paint or canvas but the pattern/idea made up of these things. You as an individual are actually an abstract idea.
>>
>>44633516
You're on the wrong board friend.
>>
>>44632397
>>44632628
>>
>>44632397
>>44632628
Mr. Potato Head's consciousness is located in his parts, using the potato itself as a host or possibly to connect to additional parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGrjmJouWA
>>
This is stumping me now.

It clearly relates to his parts in some manner (as he doesn't want them to be broken) but distance doesn't seem to be a factor.

I guess his parts all have some part of his conscience within them, rendering each part semi-sapient, but all parts of the same fully aware whole?

Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my first language.
>>
>>44633214
>>44632628

And the thread is already over.
>>
Cripes, now I really want to play a golem character that's just a face and he can stick himself on statues and suits of armor and shit.
>>
>>44632397
Anything which bears the face of a Mr. Potato Head is a Mr. Potato Head and bears its consciousness. If removed, the parts remain connected to the original consciousness until they are replaced on the body by a similar piece - for instance, an eye will continue to see until it is replaced by another eye, leaving the face with two eyes and a dead, disconnected third. (Extra eyes will be redundant at best, or lead to some kind of traumatic merging of multiple Potato Head consciousnesses at worst.
>>
It's a Ship of Theseus deal. As long as there are enough of his parts in it for him to consciously recognise it as his body, it's his body.
>>
>>44634027
Ok, so if we continue to replace his parts one by one till nothing of the original remained and gathered all the parts to make a new Mr Potato Head, have we got a completely new MrPH made from the original parts or have we now got two bodies joined to the one conciousness?
>>
>>44634424
see
>>44633940
>>
>>44634424
Probably more of a doppelganger than anything
>>
File: really.png (413 KB, 510x782) Image search: [Google]
really.png
413 KB, 510x782
mfw this thread
>>
>>44632397
>You know in Toy Story 3 when Mr Potato Head puts his face bits on a tortilla and escapes? Really bothers me.
>
>Where is Mr Potato Head's consciousness located?
Laughing so hard right now
Thanks OP
>>
>>44632397
Like in >>>/co/78635714 ?
>>
File: Ass Marbles.png (356 KB, 2125x3731) Image search: [Google]
Ass Marbles.png
356 KB, 2125x3731
>>44634528
You must be new here
>>
File: ShockedComputer Yuno.png (196 KB, 400x663) Image search: [Google]
ShockedComputer Yuno.png
196 KB, 400x663
>>44632397
>>44632628
>>
>>44634588
Nine segments seems really odd. Each segment would have had to be cut from the central point, requiring a greater degree of precision to keep each segment equal.
It's far easier to cut it straight through giving an even number of slices, even if it'd be to many. You can always just divide up the remaining extra.
>>
>>44634523
>>44634424
I would think otherwise, it's not like a Ship of Theseus, as each Mr potato head can not use parts from any other.

If you got more parts, say more eyes from a MPH off a new box, those eyes could only convey visual information for the new MPH.
>>
Back of the knee, maybe?
>>
I had a similar dilemma with Monsters, Inc. Nobody knows what the connection is between the monster and human worlds. One could argue that they are on another planet or simply an alternate dimension. I prefer the idea that the Monster world is like their universes Warp dimension. Intense emotions that can only be found in humans power their world. Every time Boo has an intense reaction, be it screaming or laughing, it manages to provide power for a large area and even manages to to shirt circuit an apartment building.

Plus, how would all of the monsters have so much variety? If it were a natural world like ours, they would all have the same physiology. In a supernatural world based on the human psyche, they could look like anything we could fear, and, evidently, they do. Finally, if they were really just on another planet or alternate universe, how would their culture and customs be so similar to real-world nations? By making them Warp-based, they can feed off of our emotions and thoughts and would form their current society like ours naturally.

> inb4 "its a kids movie"
>>
>>44632397
>>44632628
Mr. Potato Head may work on a metaphysical, conceptual level.

If he disconnects his arm, it still works as long as it stays "his" arm.
>>
>>44634424
>>44635367
What if we bought several Mr Potato Heads and joined them all together onto one particularly large potato? Would the consciousnesses merge, would one become dominate, or would they retain control over their batch forged parts?

What if we plugged Mr Potato Head into a lemon, or a pumpkin, or some other rotund fruit/vegetable?
>>
>>44635408
I think this actually has somewhat of an explanation on one of the extras on one of the Monsters Inc discs.
It told a story about two races, Man, and Mon.
Man drove all the Mon onto a secluded island. The Mon soon discovered that they took on the traits of whatever they are. If they are a snail, they get the slimy do it and she'll.
That's all I remember, and I don't think it explained the portals or the other world.
>>
>>44635490
>The Mon soon discovered that they took on the traits of whatever they are.
What? that means they would just take on the traits of themselves, and thus not change.
>>
>>44635524
Ate, I meant are.
>>
>>44635529
You're terrible at this, Anon.
>>
>>44635490
Well, I guess that would explain why the sushi chef at Harry Housen's was an octopus. If that were the case, though, wouldn't every monster who eats there become an octopus?
>>
If his consciousness really is located in his parts, do you think he has the ability to hijack the body of another toy, or even a person?
>>
>>44635610
Maybe it only effects them as children?

Example, Mike ate a lot of eyeballs or some shit.

Maybe there's still a line of pure-blood mon out there that practice a life of aesthetic living, along with their children?
>>
>>44635610
As I said, it sort of cut off.
The island may have been mystical somehow, and when they somehow moved to the monster world breeding caused only the purest bloodlines to truly resemble animals, most monsters being "things".
>>
>>44635627
>Rip out another toy's arms and legs
>plug his own in
>other toy is a helpless passenger, nothing more than a living chasis for the spud.
>>
>>44635471
Let's say you took limbs from 3 Mr potato heads and stuck them into a small pumpkin. Each would control 1 set of legs, 1 set of arms, etc, akin to a demented ettin.
>>
>>44633727
Your english is perfect mate.
>>
>>44635725
>Take a thousand sets of Mr Potato Head
>Stick them all in a large tree
>Mr Potato-pede
>>
>>44635694
The potato head would have Feel No Pain in a sense. Picture Woody with his arms, legs, and eyes replace with a potato head's. The doll's body is impaled by a sharp object. Whereas Woody would normally freak out at something like this, having no limbs means that he can't do anything. Potato Head could just keep on walking until Woody is ripped to shreds, and then he could find a new host and start the process all over again.
>>
>>44635776
>Mr. Potato Head highjacks the body of a toy
>Purposely causes their death
>His parts detach from the corpse and find a new host
>Repeat until he has slaughtered all other toys
>>
>>44635878
>makes his way to the toy mart
>awakens his brethren
>somehow manages to infest them
>gestalt mass of arms, legs, eyes, and mouths forms, becomes ambulatory
>starts ripping apart people and using them as suits in a manner similar to the Mgalekgolo
>>
>>44635408
I was always more curious about the portal doors. What happens if you half-open a portal door, and then put it in another open portal door?
>>
>>44636069
You ever hear about what happened to Screamer Town?
>>
>>
File: jojomask.png (229 KB, 381x565) Image search: [Google]
jojomask.png
229 KB, 381x565
>>44633887
make it look like pic related
>>
>>44633405
Your consciousness is a tiny man sitting inside your skull, piloting a giant fleshy Gundam.
>>
File: violate.jpg (58 KB, 720x821) Image search: [Google]
violate.jpg
58 KB, 720x821
>>44636729
That makes more sense than it should and probably explains a few things.
>>
>>44636923
Here's another way to think of it: body, mind, spirit.
Your body is a car, your mind is the driver, your soul is the fuel. Without one of these three, you become something less than human.
Without a driver, you wander aimlessly, like a zombie.
Without a car, you are impotent, like a ghost.
Without fuel, you hunger, like a vampire.
>>
>>44633552
So what if Mr. Potato Head was just an emergent property of a sufficient number of face bits, arranged in a manner sufficiently face-like?
>>
>>44633516
2/10
>>
>>44633593
>Filename

Noice
>>
nice copypasta
7/10
>>
>>44636088
No, please tell me
>>
>>44636923
>>44636988
Pffft your consciousness is a programming algorithm that's cross references sensory input data with homeostatic checksums and past activity logs to determine which actions to run next.
>>
>>44635471
Because it's a kid's movie, I'm sure they'd all remain individuals and complain about each other.

I'm sure it's like >>44633940, but simpler. And you probably can't use extra parts, since they didn't come in the set.
>>
>>44633516
> hates nerds
> browses /tg/
GTFO
>>
>>44633516

Gay.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
>>
>>44637517
Exactly.
>>
>>44633516
ebin
>>
>>44633692
>2 dollars
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.