[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for traps I can use for my next game. Stats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 1570x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 1570x1067
I'm looking for traps I can use for my next game. Stats not needed, just ideas.
>>
http://oglaf.com/trapmaster/
>>
>>44629831
A series of traps that work in tandem for maximum saving rolls and rage.

1. Uneven cobblestone floors, causing players to trip.
2.tables, scattered around at different angles and heights, to maximize painful hits and damage.
3. Embedded traps at varying heights that shoot rocks.
4. Non flammable Grease traps that activate randomly, magically created to make any surface frictionless
5. As doors are opened and closed the dungeon moves and adjusts itself to maximize rage.
6. Rooms are filled with mimics, living armor, and other objects that appear normal, but are actually monsters.
7. A rust trap sprays acid into the entire floor, disintegrating armor and weapons.
>>
I did one that was a false step with downwards pointing nails. The home was filled with decaying sewage. You foot goes in easy, but pulling it out tears flesh and infects.

One I did was two cages in a room, each with a creature inside. Disturbing the creature causes them to screech shrilly and alert others to the adventurer's presence.

I like living traps and simple but brutal traps.
>>
Open a door that leads only to a bomb with a 10 second fuse that's just activated.

Then pull out a stopwatch and give the players 15s IRL seconds collectively to talk what do next. And if they post chat can't tell you what do without umming/ahhing, have their character freeze up.
>>
>>44629831
A seductive young woman who is clearly interested in the party face.

She has a dick.
>>
File: 018.png (767 KB, 1125x1600) Image search: [Google]
018.png
767 KB, 1125x1600
>>44629831
Treasure bugs.

Also mimic crabs.
>>
Party walks into a room with nothing but a big red button on a podium in the center. The doors lock right behind them as soon as they enter. Put a egg timer onto the table and give your players a evil grin.
The trap is that every time you press the button the timer resets, but you lose a point of HP. If you let the timer run out the door unlocks and the podium sinks into the floor.
>>
File: 1286164523707.jpg (29 KB, 300x307) Image search: [Google]
1286164523707.jpg
29 KB, 300x307
>>44629943
>>
Dozens of identical rooms in a straight path to make your players feel like they are caught in an illusion or a loop of some kind while in truth their exit is about 70 rooms away.
>>
>>44630118
Source?
>>
File: Grimtooths traps.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grimtooths traps.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44629831
Surprised nobody posted this yet.
>>
>>44630410
This information may well be of use to me.
>>
>>44630359
Dungeon Meshi, manga about surving and delving deeper into a dungeon by eating monsters.
/tg/ approved, surprised you don't recognise it.
>>
File: Always bet on Douk.jpg (76 KB, 402x496) Image search: [Google]
Always bet on Douk.jpg
76 KB, 402x496
Sex Trap: Your Bard/Fighter/etc. is getting ready to lay some demons but they can't find the genitals and then they can't find their genitals

>>44630359
Dungeon Meshi
>>
File: Grimtooths traps too.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grimtooths traps too.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44630434
Good to know OP. Here is book two.
>>
File: varying degrees of dmr12.png (239 KB, 937x378) Image search: [Google]
varying degrees of dmr12.png
239 KB, 937x378
>>44630359
Dungeon Meshi, Its about adventures that explore a dungeon and cook the monsters they kill. It's awesome and /tg/ approved for the monster/dungeon design.
>>
>>44630530
In all fairness, I'm not OP.
Just anon making a game, and I've been struggling to make traps fun and interesting.
Seriously, I can't believe I missed these and I'm very grateful for them.
>>
>>44629831
Puddle on dungeon floor is actually stealth portal to the elemental plane of water.
Or alternatively, it's actually a type of slime.
>>
File: Ice_Path_Basement_Floor_2.png (17 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
Ice_Path_Basement_Floor_2.png
17 KB, 500x288
Take a lession of pokemon traps
>>
>>44629831
Blah blah passable crossdressers tired joke is tired but obligatory.

Now that that's through with, think about why exactly you're looking for traps. Why do these traps exist? Who built them? Random caverns and basements shouldn't be filled with murder-Rube-Goldberg machines unless there's a very good reason for it, and they often just have the effect of cultivating paranoia in players who are either fucked over or survive and now have to look for traps *everywhere ever.*

Think about why things exist before putting them in. Like, think about the traps in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - they existed to prevent people insufficiently faithful from reaching the Grail. Are these traps meant to deter thieves? To ensure that only people with the correct knowledge, cultural background, personal traits, level of intelligence, etc. enter?
>>
File: 1452058102478.jpg (6 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
1452058102478.jpg
6 KB, 251x233
>>44629831
a pot of flowers but they smell like farts
>>
seems to me there are three kinds of traps maybe im wrong

the "test" trap. something neat but physically avoidable like swinging blades or related to a puzzle or logic

the "hillbilly" trap which probably has a decent chance not to kill and is a pitfall/ woods/ rigged shotgun home made trap

the kill trap, you start the car and it blows up, the doors instantly seal and the room fills with horrible creatures or substances, the pressure plate you didnt notice 20 minutes ago filled the entrance with cement
>>
>>44634026
Note that traps don't have to be *intentional* - the Death Star garbage compactor perfectly serves every role of the common "kill trap", but has the bonus of being far more explicable.

Also, kill traps should never be sudden and unavoidable or they're total bullshit. Make them slow enough for the party to do something about them.
>>
Pit full of dirt or rock mimics. The wall mimics will then get angry when you kill their babies.
>>
>>44630410
>>44630530

Grimtooth's is a classic. Be aware that most of the traps are brutal. Hilarious, but brutal.
>>
>>44629831
long corridor with icy floor. When you get halfway across, you realize the ice is floating on deep, icy water. Turns out it's rotten ice which sinks under your weight. Now you're floundering on slippery, sinking ground and being soaked with deathly cold water.
>>
File: trap thing.png (8 KB, 638x535) Image search: [Google]
trap thing.png
8 KB, 638x535
>>44629831
so basically when someone steps halfway across the trap door falls out from under them dropping them in the pit. then if anyone tries to jump it they hit the invisible wall also dropping them in the pit. if you want to be cruel the pit is filled with spikes. otherwise theres swamp water or something you can use to give them infections/diseases.
>>
>>44635708
Yeah, I feel a good number of them fall into the "utter bullshit" catagory, though some of them are excellent.
>>
>>44629831
A labirynth made out of invisible walls

Followed by a labirynth made out of Wall of Ooze

Swarms of rust moths

never ending stairs (like the one in Super Mario 64)

A corridor full of nevermelt ice

Trap hole with dire leeches

Labirynth made out of unbreakable mirrors

A door with a Simmon Says mini game to open it with contingency spell triggers on failure

A corridor made entirely out of undead flesh that screams in pain at every step and tries to grab, bite and claw the people going through it and is considered dangerous terrain
>>
Rather than using traps that are meant to deter or kill, just use a bunch of traps designed to annoy.

Obvious trap hides another trap. Hidden trap drops a bucket's worth of water on your head. Later, same situation, prompting rogue to search for hidden trap. Not there. Obvious trap just a noisemaker, loud and screechy, like a banshee or your mum.

Tripwires that just trip you.

Treasure chest in plain sight. No traps to find. Chest is glued shut. Breaking it open releases a swarm of butterflies. Similar chests elsewhere, each one releasing a swarm of annoying flying critters. Only chest they can legitimately open has a piece of paper inside that has "IOU one treasure" written on it.

Just get the players so torqued off that when they finally reach the destination, there's nothing valuable there. Have them find out whole dungeon was a practical joke by some engineer to troll adventurers. Then savour their tears and rage.
>>
Two Words OP: Tucker's Kobolds

Think Home Alone but all the kobolds are small Kevin McCallisters and the traps are waaay more lethal.
>>
>>44629831
Any traps from Dungeons of Dredmor are just fine for typical trap use. All are triggered by stepping on a pressure plate.

>Exploding Trap
>Poison Gas Trap
>Easy Target Trap
>No Magic Trap
>Arrow Trap
>Spawn Traps All Around Trap
>Poison Arrow Trap
>Displacing Trap
>>
scatter in some nontraps too, like solid floors that look like spike pits
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.