[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's make a total nightmare world, /tg/ I plan to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: acheron landscape.jpg (70 KB, 626x502) Image search: [Google]
acheron landscape.jpg
70 KB, 626x502
Let's make a total nightmare world, /tg/

I plan to use it in my Only War campaign, but with little tweaking it would fit in any setting.

Obviously it would be a Death/Daemonic planet, and I intend it to be a Space Vietnam meets Space Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs/Stroggos (so possible Dark Mechanicum outpost?)

Any poor Guardsmen sent here are either shot for heresy/insanity or are confined to an insane asylum.

What do you got?
>>
The planet IS demons
>>
>>44625385

Lulzy and totally 40k actually
>>
File: bg_img.jpg (99 KB, 1680x1080) Image search: [Google]
bg_img.jpg
99 KB, 1680x1080
>>44625286
It's different from your intentions, but...

Transport the Night Land setting to a planet at WH40K.

The whole planet's rusted manufactorum surface is open to the void of space, the sun is a legend by now, there's a single gigantic crust wound, a canyon as large as a continent.

There's atmosphere and life there, among other... things.

A single hive survives, dependant on archeotech relics that slowly degrade.

Outside, the wastes are filled with abumans, silent floating entities, feral servitors, the Eternal Watchers.

The humans know they won't last forever. They've known this for the last 20.000 years.
>>
>>44625560
Yes, actually that's kind of cool.

Sometimes the prose feels pretty cumbersome, but the atmosphere and setting are fascinating. (So a lot like many 40k novels in a sense, although also not because it's late 19th century/early 20th century, so you have to deal with that too.)
>>
>machine for pigs
>not Dark Descent

fuck off back to watching Pewdiepie let's plays
>>
>>44625560

OP here. That sounds pretty cool, as if the newly rediscovered planet is not!Night Land 40k, and local humans are tearfully accepting the Imperial Creed only if it means they'll be delivered from their plight.

We could always merge our ideas, as if the not!Night Land is on the surface, and in the huge canyon there's a mechanical murdercyberhell.

Maybe throw in some Men of Iron for extra double cheese?
>>
This is a planet with no internet.
>>
>>44625677

I was going for more industrialized setting. Fuck off.
>>
>>44625727
you were going for 14years old target audience because you're a dicksucking faggot
>>
>>44625770

14 year olds are fucking cancer, and I'm not GW. I've also put Stroggos as an example, so unless you're a complete retard, you got my point instantly. So fuck off and take your flaming elsewhere.
>>
By space Vietman you mean some sort of jungle world or just Guardsmen fighting against guerilla fighters?
>>
>>44625900

Guerillas, depressing atmosphere, constant tension, traps, etc.

I've already said which ambient I'd prefer, I could throw in some Blame! in the pot
>>
File: ABOM4-107350_480w.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ABOM4-107350_480w.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>44625711
It's a Only War campaign, right?

Tell your players they just became the first wave of reinforcements for a planet filled with corruption, despair, paleotech and a psyker population.

They just became the hope of an entire hive, no pressure. They also are examples by which the whole Imperium of Man will be judged. Again, no pressure.

Like it or not, the hive is the only safe staging area in the whole star system, from which thet can find just what is maintaining those defense laser arrays at the canyon which blew up two cruisers so far.

The natives tell them that what looks human is not.

http://nightland.website/index.php
>>
File: 08.jpg (607 KB, 1300x1891) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
607 KB, 1300x1891
>>44625385
>>44625286
Congratulations, fellow Soldier!
Your regiment has been chosen to fight in glorious combat against the heretic horrors of the Glimmer.
You faith in the Emperor and the sacred Weapons provided the Munitorum will help you to push back the darkness!
>>
>>44626190
Post whole comic faggot.
>>
File: pepelimi.jpg (135 KB, 499x618) Image search: [Google]
pepelimi.jpg
135 KB, 499x618
>>44626144
>>44626190

This is some very good stuff anons, thank you. If you have more ideas, keep them coming
>>
File: 11j3ogk.jpg (39 KB, 442x323) Image search: [Google]
11j3ogk.jpg
39 KB, 442x323
>>44626314
Not exactly Men of Iron, but the canyon could house an ancient inteligence, which crafts something much like servitors.

Have you seen the movie Virus? Imagine that thing having acess to a Admech facility for thousands of years.

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Virus_Alien
>>
File: 36378.jpg (56 KB, 400x614) Image search: [Google]
36378.jpg
56 KB, 400x614
>>44626466
>>
>>44626303

Here you have, faggot.
https://mega.nz/#F!VJdgjJLI!FVRsA8jplSSAl4ScwMC6JQ
>>
File: 1452032562886.jpg (605 KB, 1089x2066) Image search: [Google]
1452032562886.jpg
605 KB, 1089x2066
>>44625385
The Universe is Guardsmen
>>
>>44626520
Much appreciated..
>>
>>44626466
>>44626494

This is also neat. Maybe it tries to craft its own Titan/Starship, and engage in genocidal crusade among the stars?
>>
>>44625809
Bro, this dipshit >>44625770 >>44625677
has no fucking clue what Stroggos is. He wasn't even a toddler when that game was released.
>>
File: Bentusi.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Bentusi.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>44626688
>Excuse me, I will harvest your psyker flesh. I need astropath genes, for reasons.
>>
Maybe try to make a space phyrexia from MTG, where there's a malevolent AI trying to convert all "weak" organic organisms to machines. Mechanical jungles filled with solar array trees, vast metal plains where rust, smoke, and radiation storms strip flesh from bone, crumbling mountains where gigantic, smog belching behemoths ingest vast amounts of earth to feed the underground forges the size of cities. Oh, and every single thing on this planet is controlled by this AI, and us trying to kill you. Except for the few human settlements, which are constantly besieged by the lobotomized, shambling half corpses of their dead and the unholy machines of nightmare, the very planet itself is hostile to organic life.
>>
>>44626760

Yeah, that could be a reason as well. Flamers gonna flame

>>44626883

Pretty nice. Now I'm wondering should the ancient AI be an independent force, or herpderped by Chaos?
>>
>>44626891

Good one, I totally forgot Phyrexia.

40k Phyrexia just screams Dark Mechanicum Fortress World
>>
Quiet dark heavily wooded areas, sort of like a xeno Alice in wonderland, in fact have forests so thick that the ground floor is dark 24/7. It'd be two thick for tanks, sentinels would barely get through and air support is a null. All you got are you eyes, ya know. Also fill it with dark borderline lovecraftian woodland creatures and a tenacious Xeon phobic race and you're set pal. Just my two cents
>>
>>44627188

Also a good one, and more in vibe with Space Vietnam feel.

Maybe I'll be a sadist and make a couple of "ultimate horror" planets, and throw my player's regiment through literal layers of hell.

They've been very resourceful so far, one guy even started reading up Rommel tactics for his Leman Russ squad.
>>
>>44626190
Guardsmen have it better than Rats.
>>
I'm reading Glimmer Rats, and this is some quality shit.

Why did it have to be discontinued?
>>
Not OP, but I've sorta taken the space phyrexia and ran with it. There's all the aforementioned metal forests, hostile environments, giant machines wandering the surface, but there's got to be a lot more than that. On a world populated by artificial life, every bit of resources is important, so maybe there's recyclers flying through the ravages atmosphere, collecting waste molecules to be reused, or baleen whale type of things swimming through the oceans that are a mixture of water, machine oil, and toxic run off.

Another interesting idea is that the one AI has had to split it's consciousness to run the planet efficiently, and maybe these shards have started to war against each other for control, and that's the only reason human settlements still exist. While the humans only suffer occasional raids, far away on the border, titan sized automatons built only for war unleash staggering amounts of destruction upon each other, so that the separation of the shards is marked by the ashen wastes of this battlefield.

Maybe the world is shrouded in perpetual twilight, as the pollution in the air obscures the sun, and also makes it necessary to wear gas masks outside. Therefore, all the hunting automatons would operate by night vision and stealth, making adventures outside the perimeter of settlements dangerous and tense, as you're never sure if you're being stalked
>>
>>44627742
How could this story be even continued? Just a series of the same hive exploding battles? It ended when it should end.
>>
>>44627903

Yeah, I kinda made the mistake of skimming over the reviews of Glimmer Rats and saw that the guy who wrote it said fans disliked it, so he ended it.

Now I finished the whole comic and the end is quite satisfactory.

Although the general grim darkness of Glimmer Rats world has loads of potential.
>>
>>44625286
Have the planet be a fucking deathworld that is hostile as fuck (like archeron from alien)

Also have it populated with a civilian/ IG group that have fallen under the madness of a corrupt chaos sorcerer and in the middle of a genestealer infestation
>>
>>44628206
>let's just fuck shit up in every way the universe can
>>
>>44628218
Yes.

Also throw in the dark mechanicum, a rogue ai and the planet IS silent hill.
>>
>>44628165
Why fans disliked it?
>>
>>44628206
>>44628218

With Dark Eldar throwing murderfuck raves.

And Slaugth stealing the corpses.

And an insane Admech Magos wiring himself into a Imperator Titan.
>>
Every Guardsman loses his dick but he still wants to fuck.
>>
>>44628303
Yes Yes.... A necron tomb is under the surface and is filled entirely with flayed ones, the planet was also SO dark and horrible even Curze was like "nah fuck that" and didn't bother trying to take it over back during the crusade
>>
>>44628285

Rennie recalls how "The strip certainly divided people — some loved it, some utterly loathed it. That's better than general indifference, I suppose" (Thrill-Power Overload by David Bishop). A letter in prog 1194 (published in the year 2000) from fan James Leighton said that "Glimmer Rats had by far the most impressive work I have seen since I started buying 2000 AD in '95. The art definitely helped bring out the dark plot, and really pulled you into the story. I hope Glimmer Rats returns within the year." Sadly for James, it didn't, although there is a trade paperback available
>>
>>44628337
>>44628303
>>44628218
>>44628206
So theres a chaos sorcerer mind controlling the population of a death world while dark eldar raid it out of the fog for slaves, during a genestealer infestation and a freshly awakened flayed one army?

Sounds about right for 40k
>>
>>44628337

So we got:

> Chaos
> Genestealers
> Dark Eldar
> Necrons

Also general grimderpness of the planet + Slaugth.

We need to throw in Orks,Tau, Eldar, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Sisters of Battle and Inquisitorial Agents, to make it a complete clusterfuck.
>>
>>44628408

No kill like the overkill, look at >>44628419
>>
They lost communication with the rest of the planet and it turns out most citizens disappeared because of insert your villain of choice
>>
>>44628419
>Feral orks
>Tau and Space Marine Fleets clashing in the planets orbit
>All the while an Inquisitor was sent to find the Chaos Sorcerer with some Bolter Bitches as an added support
>>
>>44628536

Good, and I forgot the Normal/Dark Admech clashing over some forgotten Titan depots out in the wastes.

But I think it would be even better if all of that shit would start after the party arrives at relatively normal (as far as Deathworlds are normal) world populated with pretty odd locals.

Think Innsmouth IN SPACE, and then after a while everything implodes.
>>
>>44628589
Now that I'm reading all of this again, you might as well just take Soulstorm's planets and mix them into one big deathworld.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Kaurava_system
>>
>>44628702

Yeah, I was kinda aiming to Soulstorm ever since we begun piling additional factions.

I think Mega-Kaurava planet would be good even for Dark Heresy/Black Crusade campaigns. That is, before everything implodes.
>>
>>44625385
No john, you are the demons
>>
File: 84895357.jpg (152 KB, 712x896) Image search: [Google]
84895357.jpg
152 KB, 712x896
>>44628772
The Continent-wide manufactorums are a given, you just have to create some 'rogue' Dark Mechanicum parts of it. Heck, just create a Heretech rebellion in one of the manufactorums, all sparked by the players actions.
>>
>>44625722

Or a planet with nothing but internet.

A world suffused with /d/, /x/, /k/, and /pol/, representing slaanesh, tzeentch, khorne, and nurgle, respectively. Or /b/, chaos undivided.
>>
File: Laughing Heretics.jpg (76 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Heretics.jpg
76 KB, 900x563
>>44628915
>/b/, chaos undivided
>>
>>44628882

Yeah, that would be a nice twist.

Ultimate plot twist:

Mega-Kaurava is a mini Dyson sphere.
>>
File: Just_as_planned_tzeentch.jpg (81 KB, 683x476) Image search: [Google]
Just_as_planned_tzeentch.jpg
81 KB, 683x476
>>44629007
Greater Demon of Tzeentch as a final boss
>>
File: just as planned racoon.jpg (40 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
just as planned racoon.jpg
40 KB, 625x417
>>44629121

Guarding a functional STC which can produce totally not daemonically possesed spare parts for the Golden Throne
>>
>>44629231
And the Eldar are racing the players for it, because they don't want the filthy monkeigh to get a grasp of Webway technology.
>>
>>44629376

Now I'm gonna go write the bottom line of this magnificent clusterfuck and post it soon enough
>>
Mega-Kaurava Death World Dyson Sphere

So long time ago in a galaxy not far far away, but our own some Old One enthusiasts built a deminutive Dyson Sphere. Cue War in Heaven and all that shit, some Necrons start turning into Flayed Ones because of a curse, a genious Necron Lord gets an idea to use the mini-Dyson Sphere as an insane asylum for the Flayed Ones. Time passes, Eldar uncover the planet, and while they are unable to comprehend it’s inner workings, they are wise enough to leave it the fuck alone, placing only a couple of Webway gates around, just in case.

Even more time passes, Dark Age of Technology, human colonists, woah fuck yeah a Dyson sphere!
Age of Strife comes, AI turned evil/ possesed with Greater Daemon of Tzeentch is locked into the depths of the Sphere some distance away from the Flayed One asylum, along with a fully functional STC, since humans devolved into techno-fearing barbarians fightning each other amongst the ruins of massive manufactorums.

After a while, a couple of Ork Roks crash on the Mega-Kaurava and start Waaaagh!-ing around, only for them do to enough damage to the Sphere itself to re-activate it’s automated defense systems, thus making the surface of the Sphere a Death-World (insert techno-jungle shenanigans here)

The Great Crusade comes and goes, the M-K Sphere is discovered by greedy Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator Fleet which decides to keep silent about it to the rest of the Imperium, and use it as their own playground, making it a Titan-manufacturing facility. Unfortunately, Horus Heresy, Magos who was in charge of the whole clandestine operation defects to Dark Mechanicum and gets killed later, but not before he managed to input some knowledge of the Sphere to his associates.

End of Part 1
>>
File: Emperors sexy time.jpg (66 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Emperors sexy time.jpg
66 KB, 500x500
>>44629833
Fucking glorious
>>
File: by the emperor.jpg (136 KB, 811x811) Image search: [Google]
by the emperor.jpg
136 KB, 811x811
>>44629833
I would love to be your player.
>>
The Sphere becomes the Holy Grail of the Dark Mechanicum, their dreams filled with /d/-tier gargantuan techno-daemon rape-monstrosities they would be able to produce with the Sphere’s resources. Meanwhile, on the surface of the Sphere itself, techno-barbarians are still rocking with Orks, automated defence systems, and stranded Admech elements. Some dandy muscle-fetishist Dark Eldar cabal starts snooping around through the ancient Webway gates on placed on the north and south poles of the Sphere, and start kidnapping the dudes and dudettes with ripped physiques and power greataxes.

Since a lot of time passed, many techno-barbarians forgot why they were techno-barbarians in the first place, so they mounted expeditions in the depths of the Sphere and rediscovered the daemonically possessed AI (which is quite schizophrenic from having merged with a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch), and start worshiping it as a god. Enter cyber-satanists with psyker powers, ripped physiques, and power greataxes.

End of Part 2
>>
>>44628935
Then what are they? They are equal parts disgusting perverts, mouth foaming berserkers, plaguesons of Nurgle and JUST AS PLANNED brainiacs.
>>
>>44629007
Better plot twist:

>This is a huge fucking space hulk
>>
>>44629985
>>44630110

Thank you Anons, I feel really inspired tonight.

>>44630281

Nah, I decided everything will be over the top, although the huge mofo spacehulk ain't bad either.
>>
>>44629833
>>44630144

Time passes, nothing eventful happens on the grim surface of the Sphere where there is only war and heavy metal references, then it gets rediscovered by an Imperial colonization effort in the 37th Millenium, which is, to put it mildly, horrified. They land and start colonizing, cleaning up all the shit, bringing the EMPRAH to the techno-barbarians, which finally unite and start assimilating into normal Imperial population under the wise leadership of King Kanon The Civilized.

Feral Orks are mostly isolated pockets, automated defences are kept at bay, Admech are reintegrated into society at large, although they are extremely tight-lipped about everything, and there are NO Dark Eldar raids or cyber-daemon worshipers (BLAM). The common knowledge is that Mega-Kaurava Sphere was made like that by the mysterious whims of the God-Emperor, and let’s leave it at that. Or else. A couple of millenia pass, hive cities are built, exploiting the enormous resources which the Sphere provides, everything starts to look even more like Blame!

Present day, a Chaos Sorcerer followed his mysterious dreams and discovered the Sphere and the chaos-cyber-barbarians with their patron god, and took reins of the whole operation, introducing many more loyal Imperial citizens into the cult of plots, deceit, and ripped physiques.

At the same time, a trading barge with some serious Genestealer issues arrives and docks in orbit, spreading the Xeno filth across the hives. There already are some Underhive clashes between the Chaos and ’Nid cults, with the main public unaware of what lurks beneath.

Part 3
>>
>>44629833
>>44630144
>>44630818

At that time, enter the Only War players, which are being forwarded to the Mega-Kaurava in order to do train and assist the local PDF with the still operational sphere defences (which are increasing their intensity of defending, because of the constant cultist Underhive warfare) and those tough-as-nails Feral Orks. Mysterious kidnappings and suspected Chaos activity is left to the Dark Heresy players, which arrive with their Inquisitor and a Bolter Bitch company.

Basically, from that point everything is going to slowly slide to utter apocalypse, from Dark Mechanicum finally locating The Holy Grimdark Techno Grail and planning to pop from Warpspace accompanied by a huge fleet with all guns blazing, ambitious Tau commander noticing the suspiciously advanced Imperial planet, Chaos Sorcerer doing bunch of rituals to daemonize the entire Sphere, which in turn increases the self-defence system activation and disturbs the Flayed One asylum. Space Marines will get panically called up when the insane homicidal robots start appearing around.

Part 4, The End
>>
>>44630842
This gets better and better. It's great when a GM knows his lore.
>>
>>44630983

Yeah, thanks. I wrote all of this from the top of my head. If I really sat down and developed everything further, who knows how far I'd go.
>>
>>44631298
You should update us on how the players deal with all this
>>
>>44631957

Maybe I'll put a storytime/after action report thread once they've dealt with the campaign a bit, though I doubt anyone will remember this thread here.

They'll recognize the Soulstorm reference as soon as shit starts hitting the fan, I know that for sure.
>>
>>44626940
An independent force.

Parts of its codeing was corrupted, but those data banks are physically sealed.

Only clueless outsiders with acess to heavy firepower could break into those memory stacks and try to acess them.
>>
>>44627271
OP, DON'T go for the usual hell.

There's a kind of hellish terror which appeals to GM's campagins and Slaneesh.

The Forbidden Planet. Every product from a person's ID becomes real. Slaneesh granting anyone his or her deepest wishes, specially those they never admit*.

Every rage against a fellow player is materialized as a demonic fiend. Every though of lust births a lusty vampire. Every despair increases the strentgh of your enemies.

Everything reacts to each minor player action. They are completely in control of what happens, poor bastards.

*This could also be the result of a "Oniric Factory Engine" from the Dark Age of Technology, the kind of thing that, once conected to psykers, made the Men of Iron go "fuck humans" and revolt.
>>
>>44628935

It actually makes a lot of sense.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.