[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone heard of Talislanta here? The books are all free in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 2e cover thrall tattoos big.png (2 MB, 995x1288) Image search: [Google]
2e cover thrall tattoos big.png
2 MB, 995x1288
Anyone heard of Talislanta here?

The books are all free in PDF format on www.talislanta.com.

One of my favorite weird fantasy worlds.
>>
File: sarista.jpg (115 KB, 610x478) Image search: [Google]
sarista.jpg
115 KB, 610x478
bump?
>>
>>44624289
My introduction to it was someone bringing it up specifically because it didn't have elves, when posting a picture of a technicolor elf.

That was all I ever felt I needed to know.
>>
>>44624289
>our elves are rainbow colored. Super weird, right?
>>
>>44624501
>our world has not-Arabs and the typical Arabian Nights stuff. Super weird and unique, right?
>>
>>44624549
>>44624570
Please.
>>44624289
That being said, shit like http://talislanta.com/?page_id=217#1 this REALLY doesn't help endear myself to the whole thing.
>>
>>44624525
>>44624549
>>44624570
Don't let your hate-boner keep you up at night.
>>
Seems like a long running fantasy heartbreaker, what's it like mechanically?
>>
File: PD Breeding-Black - Chronicles.jpg (110 KB, 500x653) Image search: [Google]
PD Breeding-Black - Chronicles.jpg
110 KB, 500x653
>>44624750
It was the original d20 system, but way simpler. It's gone through several rules variations, but originally it was a simple "pick an archetype" system where archetype = race + class. You'd roll a d20, modified by skills and attributes, and consult a brief chart:

0 or less = critical failure
1-5 = failure
6-10 = partial success
11-19 = success
20 or higher = critical success

Very simple rules, fairly simple magic, but quite flavorful for its time.
>>
File: 1450462197994.jpg (63 KB, 390x499) Image search: [Google]
1450462197994.jpg
63 KB, 390x499
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Z4NTP5kNY&list=PL28Hge4P7xTD7pae5DNm-YpTTnc4Vcq7o
>>
>>
>>
>>44625262
Are these books canon or not? I see illustrations from them cropping up all over the place, but I heard because of misplaced copyrights the text isn't canon.
>>
>>44625451
>>44625470

Modern-looking Talislanta art always seems a bit strange to me. Talislanta was such a product of it's time that it's hard to get away from that.
>>
>>44627463
True. Tal art is pretty much ingrained into my brain as Breeding-Black + Spencer. The end.
>>
>>44624289
My first touch with the setting was way, way too many races with little depth to them. Like anon said earlier in thread the game has the stench of someone's fantasy heartbreaker to it.
>>
>>44627573
Fantasy heartbreakers are based on D&D, or some other RPG that already exists, with minor (petty and irrevelant) tweaks that the new author loves but everybody else just finds frustrating.

Talislanta is nothing like that. You may not like it, and that's fine, but it's no fantasy heartbreaker. Here's the full definition of the term:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/9/
>>
>>44627573
>>44627692

Yeah,I don't think that's entirely fair. Talislanta has some interesting ideas going for it, and I personally regret initially dismissing it as "just another D&D clone."
>>
>>44624525

I think you fail to realize that elves were fruity dancing wood folk that smiles all the time back when Talislanta first came out. Grim-dark woods defenders who would cut you for snapping a twig was still years in the future.

Basically, you're complaining that the old cutting edge is now cliche, rather than still cutting edge.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.