[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slavic myths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
I know nothing about them. Please tell me everything about eastern european fantasy
>>
>>44623622
Why? Instead concerning yourself with YET ANOTHER european mythology you could reach to way more interesting cultures.
>>
File: 320327.jpg (250 KB, 750x1162) Image search: [Google]
320327.jpg
250 KB, 750x1162
>>44623637
thanks for the reply but if I wanted to know more about other "more interesting" cultures I would ask about them
>>
>>44623637
>more interesting cultures

Fuck off. Europe has a deep rich culture of its own.
You should probably sell off your computer and swear off internet if you prefer the kind of cultures that lead you to stoning your wife to death, cutting off someones hands or shitting in the streets.
>>
>>44623622

There is scary man, very big.

He travel country, taking hard earned slavbucks from innocent squatters.

his name is Taxman

seriously though, eastern european myths were mined most heavily by the english gothic writers; vampires, sexy lesbian vampires, wolf men, koschei etc... all were mined heavily for gothic horror novels by english writers during the 19th century.
>>
In the beginning, there was squatting. Any only squatting.
>>
File: 6.jpg (126 KB, 652x900) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
126 KB, 652x900
>>44623622
This is a good introduction, with some cool pictures:

http://rbth.com/multimedia/pictures/2015/11/18/rusian-superheroes-slavic-fairy-tales-in-perfectly-detailed-sketches_541877
>>
>>44623622

Take a deep good look at the Witcher series. It takes from (and stays mostly true to) eastern slavic mythologies.
>>
>>44623622
Well what do you want to know?

The pantheon is pretty basic.
We have Perun (basically Thor), Svarog (sun god), Troglav/Triglav, Jarilo/Yarilo, Morana (death goddess) Veleš(Snake/dragon/demon/ god thing).
Also lots of gods that are kinda specific to a slavic region.
In my country I know of Živa (Zhiva), Vesna and others.
The preists were also called druids (atleast our oldest records call them that)
Everything got fucked when Christians came. They murdered everyone and then said that their's is a religion of peace (Sound familiar?)

Unlike scandinavians we never really capitalised on our culture. We are slowly forgetting it which is very sad.
>>
>>44623622
This may sound odd, but the Witcher games actually heavily make use of Slavic mythology and monsters, especially in monster names (Leshii, Rusalka, Domovoe, etc)
Admittedly most of the creatures rarely resemble their mythological counterparts and the stuff is mixed in with Western European fairy tales as well as Tolkien-like fantasy, but the influence of the region is still noticeable.

An interesting example from the most recent game is a section where you go to Bald Mountain to kill some witches, and in many Eastern European folklore a location called Bald Mountain is where witches and the devil congregate on a specific holiday.
>>
>>44624345
helloooooooooooo nurse
>>
>>44624380
>They murdered everyone and then said that their's is a religion of peace (Sound familiar?)

Depressingly, pretty much every religion does that at least once or twice. Usually more.
People think of "Buddhism" as a religion of peace and tranquility, but are often ignorant of the ridiculously high body counts created by Buddhists in the name of Buddhism while speaking of peace.

At this point I think we can just agree that being assholes to each other is literally built into our natures and religion is just an excuse we use, one of many as it turns out.
>>
File: black-rider.jpg (1 MB, 1559x2004) Image search: [Google]
black-rider.jpg
1 MB, 1559x2004
We have three riders that symbolize the dawn, midday and dusk. They all serve Baba Yaga, who is cannibalistic witch that has a fence made of human bones and skulls with shining eyes. But if you are nice, innocent maiden and serve her for a year, then she fulfills any wish you may have.
>>
>>44624442
Thing is abrahamic religions are famous for it.
I do think it is because they're less pragmatic.
Now from pagan religions, there was always an exchange. You sacrificed a goat for a healthy child and so on.
The gods had their roles and their duties.
Abrahamic religions just say everyone is fucking guilty by default and to get in heaven you have to redeem yourself. And redeeming can be interpreted however you want. By murder or love. And in current life you get nothing from God, so there's really nothing stopping you untill death.
>>
>>44624380
>Everything got fucked when Christians came. They murdered everyone and then said that their's is a religion of peace (Sound familiar?)
What? No, they didn't murder everyone. Most Slavs were converted when Christian clerics from southern Europe convinced local rulers (kings, barons, etc.) to become baptized. Many of them did because it brought trade, culture and contacts from the more civilized lands of the Mediterranean. Christianity then became the law of the land, because as the king goes so do his people, but it was almost never enforced with mass murder. People converted because it brought benefits.
>>
>>44624474
>Abrahamic religions just say everyone is fucking guilty by default and to get in heaven you have to redeem yourself.
I could have sworn that jesus sorted that out. Protestants have sola fides, too, anyone who accepts jesus as their saviour and has faith in god will be accepted by god's pardon. It's all a very clever ruse
>>
>>44623637
You get internet in your shed Sven?
>>
>>44624625
>2016
>not livestreaming your cvckshed
>>
>>44624474
>Thing is abrahamic religions are famous for it.

Sorta, but mostly you're just more aware of it in your part of the world like always with this kinda stuff.
Remember that time when Buddhists killed close to half the supposed population of northern China and ended up massively destabilizing the region it led to a century-long period of civil war? It was kind of a big thing, and is actually quite a notable event in Chinese history.
They did something similar later on a smaller scale.
Or those times roving armed Buddhist warbands went around slaying people who weren't devoutly Buddhist in Japan? Also kind of a big deal, especially considering how often they'd raze villages to the ground and exterminate the population.

There is literally nothing special about any religion's behaviors from a historical standpoint, and believing such mostly displays ignorance of wider history; if people want an excuse to kill each other they will FIND an excuse, and religion is a really great and really easy one.
While it's true European pagainsm didn't go on the same kind of massive pograms they still killed each other over religious matters and the difference was mostly about lacking the scale of civilization for killing huge numbers of people. An amusing example is one where some north Germanic worshippers of Tor killed a bunch of Wotan worshippers, who we traditionally think of as being in the same religion despite the real-life version being not nearly as clear cut.

This is easy stuff to research too, though I would personally advise against it since it mostly reveals how depressingly alike we all are when it comes to the level of barbarity we'll perform when we think it's justified.
>>
>>44624474
>Thing is abrahamic religions are famous for it.

Sorta, but mostly you're just more aware of it in your part of the world like always with this kinda stuff.
Remember that time when Buddhists killed close to half the supposed population of northern China and ended up massively destabilizing the region it led to a century-long period of civil war? It was kind of a big thing, and is actually quite a notable event in Chinese history.
They did something similar later on a smaller scale.
Or those times roving armed Buddhist warbands went around slaying people who weren't devoutly Buddhist in Japan? Also kind of a big deal, especially considering how often they'd raze villages to the ground and exterminate the population.

There is literally nothing special about any religion's behaviors from a historical standpoint, and believing such mostly displays ignorance of wider history; if people want an excuse to kill each other they will FIND an excuse, and religion is a really great and really easy one.
While it's true European pagainsm didn't go on the same kind of massive pograms they still killed each other over religious matters and the difference was mostly about lacking the scale of civilization for killing huge numbers of people. An amusing example is one where some north Germanic worshippers of Tor killed a bunch of Wotan worshippers, who we traditionally think of as being in the same religion despite the real-life version being not nearly as clear cut.

This is easy stuff to research too, though I would personally advise against it since it mostly reveals how depressingly alike we all are when it comes to the level of barbarity we'll perform when we think it's justified.
>>
>>44624665
>An amusing example is one where some north Germanic worshippers of Tor killed a bunch of Wotan worshippers
Hey could you link me some more information about this? I've tried googling a bit but not found anything.

>Remember that time when Buddhists killed close to half the supposed population of northern China and ended up massively destabilizing the region it led to a century-long period of civil war? It was kind of a big thing, and is actually quite a notable event in Chinese history.
Honestly not sure what event this is. The only thing I can think of is the Yellow Turban rebellion, which had a taoist, not buddhist element.
>>
>>44624737
The yellow turban rebelliong wasn't a religious war, it was just a rebellion against a corrupt central government. The taiping rebellion was more religious in nature and involved religious massacres.
>>
>>44624737
>The only thing I can think of is the Yellow Turban rebellion, which had a taoist, not buddhist element.

He's thinking of the Red Turban Rebellion, which was a similar event where the rebels were trained and armed by the White Lotus Society and then got kinda out of hand.
There were also Manichaenism elements in the Red Turbans, but the White Lotus Society were the primary instigators.
>>
>>44623622
read a book faget
>>
>>44624788
cheers anon, good to learn about this.
>>
>>44624380
>Everything got fucked when Christians came. They murdered everyone and then said that their's is a religion of peace (Sound familiar?)
Feck off. Christianity slowly and rather peacefully leaked into Slavic lands since it's dawning (with records of Apostle Andrew sermonizing along the northern coast of Black Sea, on Scythian lands that would eventually end up as part of Kievan Rus), spreading well into the territory of modern By the time of Vladimir Svyatoslavovich (who performed the official baptizing of his lands, starting the path of Rus as one of the Christianity powerhouses), the better part of his domain was already rather Christian, his predecessors across Slavic lands not taking the Cross solely on the grounds of retaining support of their Varangian (and therefore quite Pagan) druzhinas, but by XI century Paganistic religions really lost most of their drive, so even the official adoption went through peacefully. Vladimir was a total murderhobo, but he did it for the lulz, not for the Lord.

The main damage was dealt culturally - Orthodox missionaries from Byzantine (and later the local ones) did their job REALLY FUCKING WELL, making Slavs into some of the more pious Christians of the time, which worked admirably towards erasing the Pagan heritage from collective memory. In Nordic lands, Pagan elements survived in culture under Chruch in minor superstition. Slavs, however, got that replaced almost entirely by Christian one.

>>44624474
>brahamic religions just say everyone is fucking guilty by default and to get in heaven you have to redeem yourself
It's a bit more complicated than that even in the Orthodox and Catholic canon. Don't even get me started on the interpretations of early heresies.
>>
>>44623637
>WAAAA WHITE DEVILS
>>
>>44624829
>well into the territory of modern Russia, Poland and Balkans by V century.

lost that bit
>>
>>44623637
>Slavs
>European

Nice try Peter.
>>
>>44624380
>Perun (basically Thor)
>Veleš(Snake/dragon/demon/ god thing).

I find it interesting that this pops up so often in different religions/mythologies. There's always a positive guy in the sky throwing out thunder, lightning, what-have-you, and he's against this evil demon/dragon thing that lives underground.
Perun and Veles,
Zeus and Typhon,
Ra and Apep,
Thor and Jormungandr (or Niddhoggr but they don't really fight)
Susano-O and Orochi
God and Satan

It's just so odd how often it pops up.
>>
>>44623622
>I know nothing about them. Please tell me everything about eastern european fantasy

Everything is going to kill you.

The End.
>>
>>44624420
>This may sound odd, but the Witcher games actually heavily make use of Slavic mythology and monsters

....Poland. The author who created the settings and characters is from Poland. The novels were originally published in polish.
>>
>>44625566
Don't go in the fucking woods, ever. That'll get you killed AT BEST. Everything in there is awful.
>>
>>44625080
Who are they then?
>>
>>44623637
Non European cultures are worthless.
>>
>>44625551
I'm pretty sure it's all parts of whatever religion our ancestors had. I'd say something about Aryan tribes but Ra and Apep predates them moving east a bit.
>>
>>44624345
I wanna fuck her.
>>
>>44625620
Bears pretending to be men
>>
>>44625551
>>
>>44625551
> There's always a positive guy in the sky throwing out thunder, lightning, what-have-you
Sky-father, that fertilizes the Earth-mother via rain to give life. Stare at rain for a dozen generation and you will start see parallels between it and insemination.
>>
>>44624442
>People think of "Buddhism" as a religion of peace and tranquility, but are often ignorant of the ridiculously high body counts created by Buddhists in the name of Buddhism while speaking of peace.

They actually spoke of law rather than peace.

>>44624474
>Abrahamic religions just say everyone is fucking guilty by default and to get in heaven you have to redeem yourself.
There are multiple Abrahamic religions, Anon. One proposed that god favours the Jews, the second one claims that god favours all who accept that the Romans totes did not kill his son and the last one proposes that you can never be hardcore enough in your submission to god's will.
>>
>>44624829
I was talking about the regions of later carantania and Carniola, since I'm from here and most of my history knowledge is of this place.
But it was not peacefull. In the 8th century they called them "crudeles paganos" and they fought hard against the christian faith. The old faith was strong and in 1331 near Kobarid (Caporetto for italians) the Church cut down a holy tree and poured sand into a water spring
(I dont have a big english vocabulary, sorry)
And that was 5 centuries after the official christianization of Alp Slavs.
Listen, I'm not the one to overlook the benefits christianity brought to this place, and also Europe as a whole (we'd get proper fucked by Arabs or later Ottomans without it), but it was bloody. We have a poem called "the baptision at Savica", which, leaning on old sources, describes the violent forced christianizaton around the year 772
>>
>>44624482
RULERS converted because it benefitted them.
Then everybody else was forced to follow or die.
There were several massive pagan upsprings because of that.
And don't forget about the Polabians.

While generally "mass murder" is oversimplification, it was far, far from peaceful, too.
>>
>>44625551
>sun helps crops, sun good
>sometimes sun get angry, throw storms & lightning
>snakes poison people, snakes bad
>big snakes even bigger bad

Is it that hard to figure out?
>>
The overall theme of slavic folklore is that nature is going to fuck you up.
UNLESS, you lead a peaceful, quiet life and remember the rules.
Because nature is all about the rules and most of even the most fucked up things have SOMETHING, a weakness, a ritual or a charm to ward It off.
A lot of day to day little things were supposed to make your life with the supernatural better, like leaving a bowl with milk outside for the night to invite good spirits or covering your mouth when ywaning to prevent the goddamn devil to jump into your throat.
>>
>>44625772
So Slavs are enviromental activists?
>>
File: Stgeorge-dragon.jpg (57 KB, 405x599) Image search: [Google]
Stgeorge-dragon.jpg
57 KB, 405x599
>>44625728
Yeah, but it IS pretty wild how so many people from such disperate corners of the earth can come to the same conclusion while likely never meeting each other.
>>
>>44625851
More like survivalists
>>
>>44625878
>likely never meeting each other
You seem to underestimate the degree of migration in ancient times. Severely so.
>>
File: Mistress-of-Copper-Mountain.jpg (171 KB, 502x1040) Image search: [Google]
Mistress-of-Copper-Mountain.jpg
171 KB, 502x1040
> want to explain things
> want to sleep even more
Time zones be damned.
>>
>>44625878
>pretty wild how so many people from such disperate corners

Not wild at all. It's how the human brain works, finding patterns and causality where none exists (and where sometimes it does). cf. paradeiolia, anthropomorphism, etc.
>>
>>44625991
Come back and teach us later. Thread will survive, we've got a nice argument forming.
>>
>>44625851
Nah, they were a pre-fossile fule economy. Those tend to punish fuckups pretty severely, so the people living under them tended to be very conservative.
>>
>>44624474
>Christianity
>you have to redeem yourself
>redeem yourself
>yourself
>Not Jesus who did that for you already
Hoo boy, I don't even know where to begin with this one
>>
>>44627163
How about over here? >>>/trash/
>>
>>44627295
Whoops sorry I meant to link you to >>>/his/

I guess I got confused because they're so similar.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.